- Derby and Midland Oddfellows
June 15th 1846 - December 30th 1933.
Cash book, size 14" x 9", full parchment boards, front inner hinge broken, so front board and spine, although not detached, have come away from the spine. On the first two pages is a list of 70 members with year of entrance (going back to 1789). There is also a list of 22 Honorary Members. 290 pages. Each year's accounts signed by auditors. A few pages loose, parchment darkened, some tears in parchment on back board, back inner hinge partly broken. Neatly written throughout. Blanks at end.
* Includes money paid out for funerals, provisions for the Feast 'One gallon of ale to Band at John Colledge's', 'Singers at Church', 'Ringers at Church', payments to hundreds of named people, presumably while they were sick, 'Surgeon half year's salary...' etc. Receipts include subscriptions, odd sums such as 'received from Bolehill Lodge for use of the Flag... 5s'.
TO BE SOLD BY AUCTION
by: Mr. Shaw, at the George Inn, in Derby...12th day of July.... Estates In Mackworth and Langley and in Spondon.
Handbill, size 13" x 8", describing 4 Lots, with occupiers.
J. Drewry, Printer, Derby, June 29th, 1805.
* Included the house 'Wheat Hill' with thirty acres adjoining, and a close of forty acres on the banks of the River Derwent.
LEASE OF A WATERMILL
dwelling house, barns etc. and 225 acres in the Township of Drakelow, Sir Roger Gresley to John Pycroft, farmer and miller.
Printed agreement with manuscript inserts, 3pp., folio, signed by Pycroft. Folded with docket title... together with... 6 manuscript documents on paper relative to a case brought by Pycroft against Sir Roger and Jonah Deane, in the King's Bench, including copy Order of Reference, 1831, and a valuation of crops and some work done by Pycroft, such as 'Winter Ploughing', 'road making'.
* Under the lease Pycroft is required to perform 8 days work for Sir Roger with a team of at least four horses, if required. The Arbitrator in the Court case awarded Pyecroft £302.
- Hadfield area
WHEELWRIGHT'S ACCOUNT BOOK
4to notebook, ruled for cash, parchment-covered boards, covers darkened, spine worn at top and bottom, spine and edges of board lightly rubbed. 166 pages of neatly-written accounts, listing work making and repairing carts, wheels, repairing agricultural tools and machinery. Very detailed accounts listing price of bolts, nuts, springs, lengths of wood, etc., for example Mr. John Tingey's account for a 'New Cart' lists 42 items, including 'piece of larch fir 9ft.', '4ft of oak rails'.
* Examples of entries: 'new pair of strong waggon wheels painted complete... £5.0s.0d'., 'to new tailboard to Scotch cart', 'to taking out motion wheels of horse power cleaning and packing and sending them to Derby', 'to cleaning and repairing haymaking machine, new nuts & keys on main axle, new lifter and new teeth to drums, new spring and bolts...', 'to cutting and sharping turnip cutter', 'to new pair of strong ash shafts 2 new cross bars new 1in. deal bottom to Pony Cart'.
at Measham To Be Sold by Auction by B. Cheatle & Son... June 4th, 1847...
Poster, size 9" x 11", folds. Describes 2 Lots, comprising four houses fronting the Cross in Measham, with four others in the yard at the back. Gives occupiers.
DERBYSHIRE Manuscripts, Maps, Engravings, Ephemera, etc.
For a further selection and to receive my latest catalogue please
email :- email@example.com
- Peak District
ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP
Sheet LXXXI. N.E.
Quarter sheet, size 13" x 15" plus margins, dissected and mounted on linen, folding to small 8vo. A few foxing spots.
Electrotyped in 1862.
* Covers Kinder Scout, Hope, Castleton, Chapel en le Frith.
of Several Very Valuable Freehold Messuages, Farms & Lands, Situate in the Parishes of Shirley, Crich, Wessington, & Morton... Containing Together nearly Four Hundred Acres to be Sold by Auction in Lots.... 14th day of September and... the Next Day the 15th.
6pp., small folio. Gives names of fields etc., with acreage.
Printed at J. Drewry's Office, Derby. 1812.
* Occupiers were Pearce, Bestall, Machin, Jackson and Chawner. The first day's sale was held at the Green Man, Ashburn, and the second day's sale at the Peacock Inn, Upton Barns.
titled in bottom margin, 'Stavely Church, Derbyshire. S.'
Competent watercolour in grey tones and pen and ink, size 4" x 6", ruled border, margins trimmed. Small edge tear.
Back to the Top
Or for further information contact Lesley Aitchison :-
Tel:- (0117) 9076899
Derbyshire Acts of Parliament
Cheshire -- Yorkshire
General ( Includes items of DERBYSHIRE interest. )
Selection of items I wish to purchase
Selection of books for sale from Ambra Books.
LESLEY AITCHISON'S Home page
Copyright © LESLEY AITCHISON - 2018. All rights reserved.