WEST COUNTRY Clearance List 219/WC
History, Topography and Genealogy
odds, sods, and a few others
Duplicates of some items.
10% Discount for 2 items
20% Discount for 4 items
30% Discount for 6 items
40% Discount for 8 items
50% Discount for 10 items
Bristol -- Cornwall -- Devon -- Dorset -- Gloucestershire -- Somerset --
Wiltshire -- General (Includes a selection of other counties.)
This is a selection from my stock.
Please let me know if there are any other titles you are looking for.
Click on:- ORDERING details
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :- ( 0117 ) 9076899
Postage, packing and insurance are extra.
When ordering from this list please note item No., Author, and Title.
Payment can be made by either sterling cheque, or by bank transfer.
Prices are nett.
- Adams (J.W.S) ULRIC AND ILVINA; A Tale of Happiness; and Miscellaneous Poems; Dedicated by Permission to the Right Worshipful the Mayor of Bristol, Francis Adams, Esq. 192pp, 12mo, original cloth, cloth slightly cockled to rear board, front inner hinge cracked though sound. Bristol: Thomas Kerslake & Co., Park Street. 1868. £18.00
- Arrowsmith Ltd, printer OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE CITY OF BRISTOL. Illusts, adverts, folding maps tipped in to front and rear, xxx + 120pp, original printed wraps, roy 8vo, light damp staining to top outer margins of most leaves. Published with the authority of the Lord Mayor and Corporation of the City and County of Bristol by J.W. Arrowsmith Ltd. Bristol: 1928. £16.00
- Arthur (William) THE SUCCESSFUL MERCHANT: Sketches of the Life of Mr Samuel Budgett, late of Kingswood Hill. Engraved portrait frontis, vii + (i) + 290pp, original embossed cloth, small strip of cloth chipped from head of spine, frontis slightly foxed, otherwise a nice copy. London: Hamilton, Adams and Co., 1873. £16.00
* 'Kngswood is not a bewitching place. Going out from Bristol, you find the road skirted by rough cottages, prolific of a rough population'
- Barker (Kathleen) THE THEATRE ROYAL BRISTOL. Decline and Rebirth 1834-1943. Illusts, 24pp, original printed card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1966. £4.00
- Board (M.E.) THE STORY OF THE BRISTOL STAGE 1490 - 1925. Frontis, 57pp, 12mo, original cloth, top of boards damp marked, internally sound. The Fountain Press, London: (1925) £4.00
- Bristol & Avon Family History Society BRISTOL MARRIAGES 1800-1837. Part Four. St. James. Illusts, 360pp, original printed card covers. Bristol & Avon Family History Society, 1984. £10.00
- Bristol Commercial Rooms BRISTOL COMMERCIAL ROOMS. COPY OF RULES AND REGULATIONS, Established at a General Meeting of Subscribers, Held 25th July, 1811; With the Subsequent Alterations therein; and of Act of Parliament, 54 Geo. III. 12mo, 25pp, original plain wrappers. [Printed 1st of January, 1824, by order of the Committee and pursuant to the Resolutions of a General Meeting.] A. Brown, Printer, Bristol Mirror Office. £12.00
- Bristol Development Board BRISTOL Incorporating "A Week in Bristol" and "A Day in Bristol" Illusts, double-page map, 24pp, original printed wraps loose, water stained to part of inner and top margins, staples slightly rusty. Bristol Development Board, c.1930. £4.00
* With the bookplate of Reece Winstone.
- Bristol Naturalists' Society PROCEEDINGS OF THE BRISTOL NATURALISTS' SOCIETY New Series, Volume 8, Part 1. Folding plan, textual illusts, 72pp, original printed wrappers, spine chipped to head and foot, partly faded. Printed for the Society. Bristol: 1896. £4.00
* Includes articles on Ancient British Remains near Long Ashton, Somerset; British Jurassic Brachiopoda, etc.
- Bristol Naturalists' Society, edited by A.J. Willis 1967 PROCEEDINGS OF THE BRISTOL NATURALISTS' SOCIETY Volume 31 Part 4. Plates, textual illusts, pages numbered 337-456pp, original printed wrappers are slightly dusty, and slightly curled at corners. Printed for the Society. Bristol: Burleigh Press, 1968. £4.00
* Includes the usual reports on the local geology, botany, ornithology, insects and fauna and papers on Geology of Portbury area; Fullers's Earth Sections in the South Cotswolds; Bristol Diamonds; Lepidoptera on Mendip, etc.
- Buchanan (R.A) and Williams (M) BRUNEL'S BRISTOL. Illusts, 96pp, original pictorial card covers, ex-lib. with stamp to verso of title, boards covered with a transparent plastic sheet, ink note on front endpaper, small nick to top cover. Redcliffe Press, Bristol: 1982. £4.00
- Burrow (Ed. J), publishers THE CITY AND COUNTY OF BRISTOL THE CAPITAL OF THE WEST. The Official Handbook of the Corporation of Bristol. Numerous illusts, folding map, adverts, 234 + (2)pp, original card covers. Ed. J. Burrow, Cheltenham: c.1963. £12.00
- Chilcott (J), published by CHILCOTT'S DESCRIPTIVE HISTORY OF BRISTOL, Ancient & Modern; or a Guide to Bristol, Clifton & the Hotwells with topographical notices of the neighbourhood villages etc. With 2 folding maps, 1 folding plan, frontis, folding plate and one other plate, wood engravings, 360pp, 12mo, original cloth, rubbed to edges, 1" split to hinge at head of spine, and short split to head of rear outer hinge, original label on spine rubbed, few marks, and stain to outer edge of rear board, internally sound. Sixth Edition, Much Improved. Bristol: J. Chilcott, (1844) £28.00
- Cozens (Henry B) THE CHURCH OF THE VOW. A Record of Zion Congregational Church Bedminster, Bristol, 1830-1930. With 5 plates, and an illust in the text, 68pp, original cloth-backed boards, few old tape marks to covers. St. Stephens Press, Bristol 1930. £15.00
- Fry (J.S) and Sons Ltd ENGLISH CITY. The Growth and the Future of Bristol. Illusts, unpaginated, thin 4to, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper. J.S. Fry & Sons Ltd. 1945. £4.00
- Harrison (David) and Brooke (Gerry) POST VIEW OF BRISTOL. Evening Post. Illusts, 206pp, folio, dustwrapper. Breedon Books, Derby: 1998. £10.00
* Signed presentation inscription on the title-page.
- Henry (Thomas) HARVEYS OF BRISTOL. Illusts, some of which are coloured, 48pp, original pictorial card covers, private bookplate to verso of top cover. Good Books, Bristol: 1986. £10.00
- Hutton (Stanley) BRISTOL AND ITS FAMOUS ASSOCIATIONS. Illusts, viii + 406pp, original cloth, lettering feint on spine, name and private ownership label to front endpaper. First edition, Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith, 1907. £12.00
* Includes chapters on the Scientific, Literary and Artistic life of the city, and mentions Hannah More, Coleridge, Wordsworth, Chatterton, William Penn, Humphrey Davy, Southey, Landor, George Whitefield, etc.
- Jackson (Edward) STUDY IN DEMOCRACY, an Account of the Rise and Progress of Industrial Co-operation in Bristol. Illusts, xiii + 606pp, original embossed cloth, spine slightly faded, inner hinges weak. Co-operative Society's Printing Works, Manchester: 1911. £12.00
- Jones (Avril), and others BRUNEL THE GWR AND BRISTOL. Illusts, 50pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers, corners of covers slightly creased. Ian Allan, Weybridge: 1985. £4.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF BRISTOL 1937. Lacks map, xxxii + 1382pp, lacks last 2 leaves and rear endpaper, original cloth rubbed, inner hinges pulled. Kelly's Directories Ltd., London: 1937. £20.00
- Latimer (John) ANNALS OF BRISTOL In the Sixteenth Century. xii + 131pp, full calf, slightly rubbed to edges, marbled endpapers, label on spine, foxing to some pages at front and rear. Bristol: William George's Sons. 1908. £30.00
- Latimer (John) ANNALS OF BRISTOL In the Nineteenth Century. [vi] + 552pp, original cloth, spine chipped to head and foot and almost loose, rear inner hinge pulled. Bristol: W & F. Morgan, Clare Street. 1887. £22.00
- [Leech (J)] BRIEF ROMANCES FROM BRISTOL HISTORY, With a few other papers from the same pen. Being cuttings from the columns of the "Bristol Times," "Felix Farley's Bristol Journal," and the "Bristol Times and Mirror," during a series of years from 1839 to 1883. vii + 262pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, inner hinges weak. William George, Bristol: 1884. £8.00
- MacInnes (C.M) BRISTOL AND THE SLAVE TRADE. Illusts, 19pp, original printed card covers, few spots and name to top cover. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1963. £4.00
- Marshall (Peter) THE ANTI-SLAVE TRADE MOVEMENT IN BRISTOL. With 4 plates, 26pp, original printed wraps. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, The University, Bristol: 1968. £4.00
- Mathews (J), printer and publisher MATHEWS'S COMPLETE BRISTOL GUIDE; Forming An Ancient as well as a Modern History of that Opulent Provincial Metropolis with its Suburbs Clifton and the Hotwells:.... With 2 folding plates, lacks 1 plate and the plan, viii + 238pp, lacks the last leaf, sm 8vo, recent cloth, occasional light foxing, small engraving pasted to blank portion of one leaf, another engraving pasted to rear endpaper. Seventh Edition. Carefully revised, with additions and improvements. Bristol: Printed by and Published by J. Mathews. (1828) £18.00
- Morgan (Kenneth) JOHN WESLEY IN BRISTOL. With 4 plates, 30pp, original printed card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, The University, Bristol: 1990 £4.00
- Nicholls (J.F) and Taylor (John) BRISTOL PAST AND PRESENT. Volume 2 - Ecclesiastical History. Numerous wood-cut illustrations, volume 2 of 3 only, viii + 308pp, 4to, original cloth, covers slightly rubbed to edges, inner hinges cracked and pulled, top and rear outer hinge have 2" splits, head and foot of spine rubbed. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith. 1881. £27.00
- Port Authority THE PORT OF BRISTOL. Official Handbook of the Port of Bristol Authority 1962. Illusts, some of which are coloured, 132pp, includes adverts, original decorative card covers, small embossed stamp to the foot of the title-page and number to top margin of first leaf. F.G. Warne Limited, Bristol: 1962. £14.00
- Ralph (Elizabeth) and McGrath (Patrick), editor NOTES ON BRISTOL HISTORY NO. 3. 34 pages printed on rectos only, stapled at top corner into crude wraps, top sheet loose, paper label on top wrap, spine and top wrap damp stained, Bristol University labels to wraps. University of Bristol Extra-Mural Studies, 1959. £10.00
* Includes:- Court of Admiralty, Bristol; Court Book of some of the estates belonging to Ralph Sadlier, 1608-1618; The Certified Industrial School in Park Row; Bristol Quarter Sessions Book 1729-1736, etc.
- Ralph (Elizabeth), editor CALENDAR OF THE BRISTOL APPRENTICE BOOK. Part III 1552-1565. ix + 155pp, original cloth, Bristol University labels to front endpapers. Volume 43. Bristol Record Society. 1992. £12.00
- Ross (James) THE CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF BRISTOL. Historical and Descriptive Handbook. illusts, adverts, 68pp, 12mo, original pictorial wraps. Thirteenth Edition, Bristol Publishing Limited, 1949. £4.00
- St Mary Redcliffe THE FORM AND ORDER OF SERVICE Together with the Ceremonies that shall be observed in the Hallowing of the Name of God over the work of the Restoration of the Church of St.Mary Redcliffe Bristol. Friday, The Third of November 1933. 27pp, original printed wraps, text printed in red and black, occasional light spotting. Printed at the University Press, Oxford: 1933. £4.00
- Taylor (John) BRISTOL AND CLIFTON Old and New. With 4 illusts, 123pp, lacks the wraps. London: Houlston and Sons. Bristol: John Wright & Co., c.1877 £12.00
- Wilkins (H.J) COPY OF THE DEED of the Sale of the next Presentation but one to Henbury Vicarage. 8pp, few small marks to original printed wraps. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith. 1909. £14.00
- [Williams (Edith E)] S. MARY REDCLIFFE "The fairest, goodliest, and most famous parish Church in England." Frontis, 17 plates, 66 + (1)pp, original paper wraps. No imprint, (1931) £10.00
- Winchester (Evelyn) ST ANNE'S BRISTOL A History. Illusts, 80pp, original pictorial card covers, light stain to fore-edges, private bookplate to verso of top cover. White Tree Books, Bristol: 1986. £8.00
- Winstone (Reece) BRISTOL TO-DAY. Preface by John Betjeman. With 200 photographs, local adverts, 80pp, pictorial card covers, covers show some signs of wear, crease to top corner of top cover. First Edition, Reece Winstone, Bristol: 1958. £9.00
- Winstone (Reece) BRISTOL AS IT WAS 1939 - 1914. Over 100 Photographs. 64pp, roy 8vo, original pictorial card covers, outer hinges slightly rubbed. Third Edition, Reece Winstone, Bristol: 1963. £8.00
- Wright (J) and Co's MATHEWS' BRISTOL DIRECTORY, 1877. With Adjacent Villages. Lacks map (?), 446 + (1)pp, original cloth, lacks all before title-page, lower board loose, top outer hinge partly split. Bristol: J. Wright & Co. 1877. £50.00
- Wright (J) and Co's WRIGHT'S BRISTOL DIRECTORY 1914. Including Westbury-on-Trym, Shirehampton, Horfield, and Part of Henbury. Lacks map as usual, lacks all before title page, lx + 1000 + 29 pages of adverts, original cloth, top corner of title-page missing, boards rubbed and almost loose, lacks spine. London: Published by Kelly's Directories, 1914. £35.00
A further selection of BRISTOL Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Barham (Fisher) OLD CORNWALL IN CAMERA. ROAD VEHICLES. Numerous illusts, roy 8vo, dustwrapper protected in a loose plastic sleeve, ex-lib. signs where labels removed from front endpapers, and a couple of stamps to prelims. Falmouth: Glasney Press, 1978. £6.00
- Blight (J.T) A WEEK AT THE LAND'S END. With 11 full page plates, vignette title-page, textual illusts, tinted folding map, viii + 203pp, original cloth, edges slightly rubbed, top corner of front endpaper torn away, private bookplate to front pastedown. Second edition, Truro: Lake and Lake, London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1876. £26.00
- Buckley (J.A) A HISTORY OF SOUTH CROFTY MINE. Illusts, 224pp, original pictorial card covers, inscription to verso of top cover and last leaf, ownership label to title-page, small news cutting tipped onto contents leaf. Dyllansow Truran, Redruth: 1997. £10.00
- Buller (Rev J) ST. JUST A Statistical Account. With a folding map, and plates, some of which are folding. Dustwrapper. Originally published 1842. Reprint, Dyllansow Truran, Redruth: 1983. £12.00
- Collier (W.F) TALES AND SAYINGS OF WILLIAM ROBERT HICKS, OF BODMIN. With Portrait and Memoir. Third Edition, Enlarged. Frontis, 104pp, original buckram, lightly rubbed, ex-lib, with label to front pastedown, stamp and numbers in ink to verso of title-page, and number to foot of spine. Third Edition, London: Simpkin Marshall, Hamilton, Kent, 1893. £5.00
- Collins (J.H) ON THE GEOLOGICAL STRUCTURE OF THE NORTHERN PART OF THE MENEAGE PENINSULA. Plate of sections, 11pp, disbound. Read 4th November, 1879. £6.00
- Collins (J.H) REMARKS ON MR SOMERVAIL'S PAPER "ON THE GEOLOGICAL STRUCTURE OF SOUTH CORNWALL." Folding geological map, 5pp, disbound, map loose. Reprinted from No 28 Journal of Royal Institution of Cornwall. £10.00
- Cornish Institute of Engineers, edited by G.J. Shrimpton TRANSACTIONS OF THE CORNISH INSTITUTE OF ENGINEERS New Series, Volume XVI (1960-61) Textual diagrams, some of which are folding, 84 cyclostyled pages, 4to, original wraps, lacks paper strip from spine. Cornish Institute of Engineers, Camborne: 1961. £8.00
* Includes articles on Diamond Mining in the Gold Coast and Sierra Leone; South Crofty; Magnetic Mineral Separation, etc.
- Cornish Institute of Mining, edited by William Thomas. TRANSACTIONS OF THE CORNISH INSTITUTE OF MINING, MECHANICAL AND METALLURGICAL ENGINEERS. Volume 3 and 4. Two volumes bound in one, folding plates and diagrams, 95 + 117pp, original wraps, short tear to top wrap, occasional spotting. Cornish Institute of Mining, Mechanical and Metallurgical Engineers, Camborne: 1915 and 1916. £30.00
* Includes articles:- Mines Drainage; Deep Lead and Drift Mines, etc.
- Cornwall Charities ABSTRACT OF THE RETURNS OF CHARITABLE DONATIONS for the Benefit of Poor Persons, Made by the Ministers and Churchwardens of the Several Parishes and Townships in England and Wales. 1786 - 1788. The Cornish section. Folio, disbound, 18pp, (pages numbered 165-181). Ruled in columns:- Hundreds, Boroughs, Names of the Persons who Gave the Charity, When Given, Whether by Will or Deed, Description of the Charity, and for what Purpose given, Whether in Land or Money, In Whom Now Vested, Gross Amount, Annual Produce of the Money, Clear Annual Produce of that given in Land, and Observations. 1816. £25.00
- Fairclough (Tony) and Wills (Alan) BODMIN AND WADEBRIDGE 1834-1978. Southern Branch Line Special No. 1. Numerous illusts, 96pp, oblong 8vo, few short tears to dustwrapper. D. Bradford Barton, Truro: 1973. £8.00
- Fenwick (John) THE PARISH OF ST. SAMPSON. Wth 2 plans and 2 textual illusts, 99pp, original pictorial card covers. Dyllansow Truran, Redruth: 1986. £8.00
- Fowles (John) and Godwin (Fay) ISLANDS. Photography by Fay Godwin, 108pp, small 4to, dustwrapper slightly rubbed to head of spine. Jonathan Cape, London: 1978. £6.00
- Fowles (John) SHIPWRECK. Photography by the Gibsons of Scilly. Numerous illusts, 2 maps, 48pp, oblong 4to, original pictorial card covers slightly creased. Reprinted, Sphere Books, London: 1981. £5.00
- George (Dr Ken) GERLYVER KERNEWEK KEMMYN An Gerlyver Kres. Kernewek - Sowsnek. Sowsnek - Kernewek. Cornish - English. English - Cornish Dictionary. xvi + 317pp, original cloth, dustwrapper. First edition, Kesva an Taves Kernewek, Cornish Language Board, 1998. £16.00
- Helston Election REPORT BY THE LORDS COMMITTEES, Appointed To search for Proceedings as to the hearing of Petitioners by Counsel for and against Bills of a similar Nature to The Helleston Election Bill. Folio, disbound, 2pp + title leaf, couple of short tears to margins. Ordered to be printed 22nd March, 1815. £12.00
- Henderson (Charles) and Coates (Henry) OLD CORNISH BRIDGES AND STREAMS. Illustrated with maps and 58 photographs, ix + 133pp, original card covers, edges rubbed and portions missing from foot of spine, covers slightly soiled. First edition, Published for the University College of the South West, Exeter by Simpkin Marshall, London: 1928. £15.00
- Hocking (S.K) UP THE RHINE AND OVER THE ALPS. Illusts, iv + 187pp, original decorative cloth, ex-lib. with number to base of spine labels to front endpapers, and stamp to verso of title-page. First edition, London: Andrew Crombie (1886) £6.00
* Hocking was born in St Stephen-in-Brannel, in Cornwall, and was primarily a writer of fiction, this is a record of a trip he made to Switzerland.
- Ivey (W.F) WALK WITH ME. On a guided coastal walk from Porthleven to Helford via the Lizard. Illusts, double-page sketch map, 20pp, original pictorial card covers. Helston Printers, c.1980. £4.00
- Jaggard (Edwin), editor LIBERALISM IN WEST CORNWALL: the 1868 Election Papers of A. Pendarves Vivian, M.P. Map, lvi + 154pp, original pictorial card covers. Devon and Cornwall Record Society New Series, Volume 42. Exeter: 2000. £10.00
- King (C.J) SOME NOTES ON WILD NATURE IN SCILLONIA. Particularly of Sea-birds and Seals. With 5 plates, 12mo, original printed paper boards. C.J. King & Son, St. Mary's: 1924. £14.00
- Maclean (Sir John) PAROCHIAL AND FAMILY HISTORY OF THE PARISH OF BLISLAND. With plan and 2 plates, lacks the plate of the church, textual illusts, pedigrees, 99 + 2 page list of subscribers, 4to, original cloth gilt, few spots to covers, lacks small portion from head of spine, lacks all before title-page, 2 leaves, which appear to have been inserted from another copy, have marginal tears and these have been crudely repaired, rear inner hinge cracked and weak, glue residue to rear endpapers and to front pastedown, some damage to front pastedown. Nichols and Sons, London: Liddel and Son, Bodmin: 1868. £35.00
- Mining Association and Institute of Cornwall TRANSACTIONS OF THE MINING ASSOCIATION AND INSTITUTE OF CORNWALL. Volume 4. Part 1. Folding plates, 153 (i)pp, shaken, stitching broken with rear wrap and last 8 leaves loose, last leaf and lower wrap ragged, with portions missing from margins of top corners. Published by the Society, Camborne: 1893. £12.00
* Includes chapters on Cornish Boilers; Slime Tin; Miners Insurance Funds, etc.
- Old Cornwall OLD CORNWALL MAGAZINE Volume 2. No. 12. Illusts, 43 + (2)pp, original printed wraps, occasional pencil marginalia and underscoring. Issued by Federation of Old Cornwall Societies. Winter, 1936. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Rialton; Bishop Rock; Cornish Language, etc.
- Old Cornwall OLD CORNWALL MAGAZINE Volume 6. No. 3. Illusts, pages numbered 95-142, complete, original printed wraps. Issued by Federation of Old Cornwall Societies. Autumn, 1962. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Foreshore Rights; Cornish Folk Songs and Carols; Napoleon's Cornish Prisoners; Penwarne Manor, Mevagissey; Wayside Museum, Zennor; Smugglers' Hiding-Place at Zennor, etc.
- Old Cornwall OLD CORNWALL MAGAZINE Volume 6. No. 7. Illusts, pages numbered 287-334, complete, original printed wraps. Issued by Federation of Old Cornwall Societies. Autumn, 1964. £4.00
* Includes articles:- James Henry Treloar Cliff, Second Coxwain of Porthoustock Lifeboat; Tregony; Lanyons of Lanyon, Madron; Witchcraft at Penzance; John Harris, Poet, etc.
- Old Cornwall OLD CORNWALL MAGAZINE Volume 6. No. 12. Illusts, pages numbered 527-571, complete, original printed wraps. Issued by Federation of Old Cornwall Societies. Spring, 1967. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Field Walls of Cornwall; Hugh Acland in Truro in the 17th century; Egloshayle, etc.
- Pamela Bousfield, editor A HISTORY OF ST. BREWARD. The life of a moorland village. Illusts, double-page map, xi + 163pp, dustwrapper. Second impression, Privately Published, St. Breward History Group, Bodmin: 1988. £12.00
- Pentreath (Dolly) IN A CORNISH TOWNSHIP With Old Vogue Folk. Illustrated by Percy R. Craft. 243pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, t.e.g., some staining to fore-edges of boards, internally sound. R. Fisher Unwin, London: 1893. £15.00
- Penzance Natural History and Antiquarian Society REPORTS AND TRANSACTIONS 1889-90. Pages numbered 104-190, original printed wraps. Plymouth: William Brendon: 1890. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Plants in Tresco Gardens; Journal in Cornwall in 1754; Flora of Guernsey, etc.
- [Peter (Thurstan)] HISTORY OF CORNWALL FOR MY CHILDREN. By Their Father. 52pp, few spots to the original cloth. First edition, London: Houlston and Sons, 1891. £12.00
- Rowe (Joseph Hambly) CORNWALL FEET OF FINES Richard II - Henry VI, 1377 - 1461. The complete Index only, 53pp, unbound as issued. Devon and Cornwall Record Society. Topsham: 1950. £8.00
- Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society. FIFTY-EIGHTH ANNUAL REPORT of The Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society. 1890. Original wraps partly faded, name on top wrap, one section loosening. Falmouth: Lake and Co., Truro: Heard and Sons, 1890. £12.00
* Includes articles:- Decline of Fisheries; Education, etc.
- Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society. SIXTIETH ANNUAL REPORT of The Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society. 1892. Plates, 2 of which are folding, original wraps, partly faded, portions missing from spine and edges of wraps. Falmouth: Lake and Co., Truro: Heard and Sons, 1892. £22.00
* Includes articles:- Avifauna of Cornwall; Migration and Habits of the Pilchard, etc.
- Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society. NINETY-SECOND ANNUAL REPORT. New Series Volume V. Part III - 1925. Plates, one of which is folding, lacks top wrap, rear wrap has portions missing, couple of tears to frontis, and stain to it's lower margin. Camborne: Camborne Printing & Stationery Co. Ltd., 1925. £10.00
* Includes:- Cornish Streams and Bridges; Carn Brea; Falmouth and the Great War; Mining Coinage of Cornwall; Boulton and Watt in Cornwall; Augustus John Smith, etc.
- Royal Geological Society of Cornwall ROYAL GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF CORNWALL TRANSACTIONS Volume 13. Part 6. Plates, 309-427pp, original paper wrappers, portion missing from foot of spine, head of spine chipped, wraps and first few leaves spotty. Penzance: 1910. £8.00
* Articles include:- Angular Quartz Drift of Cornwall; Cornish Palaeozoic Fossils; Raised Beaches and Head of the Cornish Coast, etc.
- Royal Geological Society of Cornwall ROYAL GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF CORNWALL TRANSACTIONS Volume 16, Part 5. Plates, (x) + 197-243pp, original wraps. Penzance: 1932. £9.00
* Articles include:- Gneissic Rocks; Rock Basins on the Tors of Cheeswring and Rougtor, etc.
- Royal Geological Society of Cornwall ROYAL GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF CORNWALL TRANSACTIONS Volume 17. Part 4. (iv) + 180-220pp, original printed wraps are slightly spotty, staples rusty. Penzance: 1944-45. £8.00
* Articles include:- Geology of Carn Brea; Great Wheal Vor; Pillow Lavas at Port Isaac; Mineral Rights, etc.
- Royal Geological Society of Cornwall ROYAL GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF CORNWALL TRANSACTIONS Volume 18. Part 2. Folding plate, pages numbered 113-228, original printed card covers. Camborne Printing and Stationery Co., 1951. £6.00
* Articles include:- Plymouth Limestone; Cornish Lodes, etc.
- Royal Geological Society of Cornwall ROYAL GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF CORNWALL TRANSACTIONS Volume 22. Part 3. Illusts, diagrams, pages numbered 89-118pp, original printed card covers. Royal Geological Society of Cornwall, Penzance: 2000. £7.00
* Contains :- Contributions of a Trio of Cornish geologists (Philip Rashleigh, John Hawkins and William Gregor) to the Development of 18th century Mineralogy.
- Royal Institution of Cornwall THIRTY-FIFTH ANNUAL REPORT OF THE ROYAL INSTITUTION OF CORNWALL. 1853. With 1 plate, 35 + 5pp, original printed wraps, ink note on top wrap. Truro: James R. Netherton. 1854. £26.00
* Includes articles:- Jonathan Couch on Ancient Bell in the Tower of Lansallos Church; Proposed School of Mines in Cornwall, etc.
- Royal Institution of Cornwall FORTY-FOURTH ANNUAL REPORT OF THE ROYAL INSTITUTION OF CORNWALL. Part 1. Spring Meeting, 1862. With 1 full page illust, and 3 textual illusts, 48pp, original printed wraps, few spots to wraps. Truro: Heard and Sons, 1862. £15.00
* Includes articles:- Land-Measure called a Cornish Acre; Holed Stones, etc.
- Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge AVIS LEWARNE; A West Country Story. Frontis, 95pp, sm 8vo, original cloth boards, cloth damp marked, internally sound. London: Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, c.1876. £14.00
* Fiction set in Cornwall.
- Spargo (Thomas) THE MINES OF CORNWALL. 1. The Land's End Peninsula. Statistics and Observations. 1865. With 2 plans, 30pp, original printed card covers, occasional light foxing, small private ownership stamp to verso of top cover. Originally published in 1865. Reprinted, D.B. Barton, Truro: (1960) £4.00
- Stanier (Peter) CORNWALL'S MINING HERITAGE. Illusts, maps, diagrams, 47pp, original pictorial card covers. Twelveheads Press, Truro: 1988. £6.00
- Stephens (Paul), introduction ASSOCIATION FOR INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY. 1978 Conference Penzance. Tour Notes. Illusts, maps, 32pp, 4to, original pictorial wraps. Penzance: 1978. £10.00
- Trevithick Society THE TREVITHICK SOCIETY NEWSLETTER. No 37. May 1982. Illusts, 8pp, sm folio, stapled. 1982. £4.00
* Includes articles on Cornish Engines at Stonecroft and Settlingstones; Boiler Explosion at East Uny, etc.
- Trevithick Society THE JOURNAL OF THE TREVITHICK SOCIETY No 11. 1984. Illusts, 75pp, original card covers. Trevithick Society, Cornwall: 1984. £6.00
* Includes articles:- Manganese Mining in the South West of England; Giew Mine; Cornish Mining Industry in the 19th and 20th Centuries, etc.
- Wakelin (Martin F) LANGUAGE AND HISTORY IN CORNWALL. With sketch maps. 239pp, original cloth, spine slightly faded, few marks to endpapers, page edges browned, typed note stuck to front pastedown. Leicester University Press: 1975. £12.00
- Wilkinson (W.F) MINERS' INSURANCE FUNDS IN ENGLAND AND GERMANY. Pages numbered 81-110, complete, original printed wraps, later staples, spine partly split. The Mining Association & Institute of Cornwall, 1892. £6.00
- Williams (Michael) TINTAGEL. Plates, plan, 28pp, original pictorial card covers. Bossiney Books, Camborne: 1971. £4.00
- Woodbine (Ray), transcriber CORNWALL 1851 CENSUS. St Germans Superintendent Registrars District. Volume 10. Part 1. MAKER, RAME, and ST. JOHN. 126pp, 4to, original card covers, clip on plastic spine. Privately published, Par: 2000. £15.00
A further selection of CORNISH Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Baring-Gould) (S) DEVON. Illusts, folding map, map endpapers, 316pp, sm 8vo, original cloth, spine faded. Fifth edition, Methuen & Co., London: 1919. £8.00
- Beaumont (G.F) THE STORY OF COMBE MARTIN. Illusts, 53pp, 12mo, original pictorial card covers. Seventh edition, North Devon Printing Works, Ilfracombe: 1981. £5.00
- Blanchard (Linda), editor ARCHAEOLOGY IN BARNSTAPLE. 1987-8. Illusts, plans, 40pp, oblong 4to, plastic spiral binding, original card covers, few small marks to covers. North Devon District Council, Barnstaple: 1988. £7.00
- Brierley (John), City Engineer CITY OF EXETER. Land Use / Transport Survey. Interim Technical Report. Numerous folding tables, plates, maps, diagrams, 173pp, 4to, original card covers, plastic spiral binding, small mark to top cover. Exeter: 1965. £12.00
- Cooper (Thomas Henry) A GUIDE CONTAINING A SHORT HISTORICAL SKETCH OF LYNTON, LYNMOUTH, ILFRACOMBE, and other Places Adjacent in North Devon. Lacks map, with double-page pedigree, 5 vignette steel engravings, xvi + 114pp, 12mo, original cloth, covers damp spotted. Barnstaple: T. Hearson, c.1853. £25.00
- Coppard (Rev. W.J) AN ACCOUNT OF THE CHURCH OF WEMBURY, IN SOUTH DEVON. 7pp, 4to, lacks wraps. Reprinted from the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society Transactions, 1853. £4.00
- Cotton (R.W), editor SIXTH, SEVENTH, EIGHTH, NINTH, TENTH AND ELEVENTH, REPORTS OF THE COMMITTEE ON DEVONSHIRE RECORDS. 6 Reports. All in the original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 1894-1902. £6.00
- Crabbe (William R) AN ACCOUNT OF HACCOMBE CHURCH. With 5 plates, title page + 13pp, disbound, plates loose, last leaf of text has short tear and portion torn from lower margin, narrow strip torn from margin of one plate. Printed by William Pollard, Exeter: 1863. £8.00
* Originally published in the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society Transactions, vol 7, 1861.
- Curtis (J. Sydney) DEVONSHIRE: Historical & Pictorial. A Complete Story of Devon from the Earliest Times, together with Views and Reviews of All Places of Interest, and a Concise Gazetteer.... Illustrated with about 200 Photogravures. Folio, 189 + (iii) + viii pages of adverts, disbound, shaken, some pages loose. Topographical Publishing Co. Southampton: (1896) £6.00
- Devon Archaeological Society DEVON ARCHAEOLOGY. No. 1. Illusts, 24p, original pictorial card covers. Devon Archaeological Society, Exeter: 1983. £4.00
* Includes articles on Kent's Cavern, North Devon Pottery, etc.
- Devon Notes and Queries DEVON NOTES AND QUERIES. Volume 2. From January 1902 to October 1903. Part I Miscellaneous. Illusts, [vi] + 268pp, original cloth.... Bound with.... Crossing (William) THE ANCIENT STONE CROSSES OF DARTMOOR and its Borderland. Illustrated by T.A. Falcon. Revised Edition. Plates, folding map, xii + 184pp. This forms part 2 of Volume 2. Special Edition with additional plates limited to 250 copies. Two items bound in 1, later cloth, ex-lib. with label to front pastedown, and number to verso of title-page, no stamps, some foxing to pelims. Exeter: James G. Commin, 1902 & 1903. £40.00
- Devon Notes and Queries DEVON NOTES AND QUERIES. Volume 4, Part 3. July 1906. Plates, pages numbered 65-96.... Bound with.... Clayden (A.W) THE HISTORY OF DEVONSHIRE SCENERY.... Plates, pages numbered 97-144. Two items bound in one, original wraps, some spotting to a few top margins, and light waterstains to a few leaves at rear. James G. Commin, Exeter: 1906. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Memorial Brasses in churches of Stoke-Fleming, St Saviour and St. Petrock, Dartmouth; Great Fire at Crediton; Chichester family of Widworthy and of Virginia, etc.
- Devon Notes and Queries DEVON NOTES AND QUERIES. Volume 4, Part 5. January 1907. Plates, pages numbered 129-184.... Bound with.... Clayden (A.W) THE HISTORY OF DEVONSHIRE SCENERY.,,. Plates, title-page + contents + Preface + pages numbered 193-182. Two items bound in one, original wraps, portions chipped from spine, top wrap almost loose. With signature of E. Lega Weekes to top wrap, and some pencil notes and underlining by her in the text. James G. Commin, Exeter: 1907. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Symbolism of the Ancient Fonts of Stoke Canon, St Mary Church and Alphington; Preaux, Pruz, Prouse, Prowse (Devonshire); Colonel John Were; Church House Thurlestone, 1644, etc.
- Devon Notes and Queries DEVON NOTES AND QUERIES. Volume 5. Part 4, October 1908. With 6 plates, pages numbered 105-136.... Bound with.... Appendix. Cresswell (Beatrix) EXETER CHURCHES. With 6 plates, pages numbered 177-224, original printed wraps. Exeter: James G. Commin, 1908 £4.00
* Includes articles:- Colyton Marriages in Exeter Cathedral; Killed by a Bell in the Church of Axminster; "Yonge" Coffin Plates in Colyton Church; Prowse Family, etc.
- Devonshire Association, compiled by A.A. Fursdon. GENERAL INDEX TO TRANSACTIONS (Vols. 1 - 60.) 1862-1928. 161pp, original printed wraps. Torquay: Torquay Times and Devonshire Press, 1957. £12.00
- Devonshire Association REPORT AND TRANSACTIONS OF THE DEVONSHIRE ASSOCIATION For the Advancement of Science, Literature, and Art. [Ilfracombe, July, 1933.] Volume 65. Illusts some of which are folding, x + 467pp, original wraps, portions missing from foot of spine, affecting the date. Torquay: Devonshire Press. 1933. £20.00
* Includes articles:- East and North Devon Place-Names; Devon Toll Houses; Parliamentary Representation of Devon; Modern Water Supply of Exeter; Blowing Houses in the Valleys of the Sheepstor Brook, The Meavy, The Erme, and The Avon, etc.
- Devonshire Association, compiled by A.A. Fursdon. GENERAL INDEX TO TRANSACTIONS (Vols. 71 - 80.) 148pp, original wraps, portion cut from top margin of first leaf, affecting a few entries of index, indelible stamp to foot of last leaf. Torquay Times and Devonshire Press, Torquay: 1952. £8.00
- Devonshire Association REPORT AND TRANSACTIONS OF THE DEVONSHIRE ASSOCIATION.... [Sidmouth, 1950.] Volume 82. Illusts some of which are folding, xii + 432pp, original paper wraps. Devonshire Press, Torquay: 1950. £11.00
* Includes articles:- Parish Constables' Accounts of Mary Tavy; New Quay at Dartmouth 1584-1640; Stannary Parliament; Field Patterns in Brixham; Paper-making in Devon, etc.
- Everett (A.W) ST. KATHERINE'S PRIORY, EXETER. Plates, diagrams, 10pp, original card covers. Reprinted from the Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society, c.194- £4.00
- Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society EXETER DIOCESAN ARCHITECTURAL SOCIETY. Index to the first 6 volumes of "Transactions". xiiipp, 4to, original wraps partly faded. Exeter: c.1856. £5.00
- Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society TRANSACTIONS OF THE EXETER DIOCESAN ARCHITECTURAL SOCIETY. Second Series:- Vol 4. Part III. With 8 plates, original card covers, small portions chipped from spine. William Pollard, Exeter: 1883. £12.00
* Includes articles:- Ancient Stained Glass of Exeter Cathedral and Restoration of Exeter Cathedral, Romanesque Churches, etc.
- Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society TRANSACTIONS OF THE EXETER DIOCESAN ARCHITECTURAL SOCIETY. Third Series, Volume 4. Part 3. [ Being vol. 15 of the whole Transactions. ] Illusts, one of which is folding, xv + 113-194pp, lacks spine and lower wrap, top wrap loose and slightly ragged. Exeter: William Pollard, 1937. £18.00
* Includes :- Wall Paintings in Exeter Cathedral; Cloisters of Exeter Cathedral; Windows of St. Neot's Cornwall.
- Exeter Museum MUSEUMS ASSOCIATION. EXETER MEETING, 1925. With 12 leaves, each with a photographic illust., tipped on to each leaf, with description beneath, original wraps, held with an ribbon threaded through punched holes and tied in a bow. 1925. £10.00
- Fulford (Rev.J.L) A FEW REMARKS ON THE STAINED GLASS IN EXETER CATHEDRAL. With 4 large coloured folding plates, pages numbered 133-138, complete, 4to, disbound. Extracted from the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society Transactions, 1845. £12.00
- Gerrard (John) KENT'S CAVERN. Reprinted by kind permission of "Chambers's Journal" Illusts, folding plan and folding chart, 20pp, original decorative paper wraps. W.F. & L.W. Powe, Kent's Cavern, Wellswood, Torquay: c.193- £4.00
- Harding (Lieutenant-Colonel William) A PAPER ON POWDERHAM CASTLE. With a plan and 2 plates, textual illusts, 15pp, disbound, 4to, plates loose. Reprinted from the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Association Transactions, vol. 7, 1865. £10.00
- Holloway (Grahame) BATTLES, BULLETS & MAYHEM. Devon's Turbulent Past. 135pp, original pictorial card covers. Brevet, Exeter: 2001. £7.00
* Signed by the author on the title-page.
- Jenkins (Alexander) THE HISTORY AND DESCRIPTION OF THE CITY OF EXETER, & its Environs, Ancient & Modern.... With 11 plates, lacks map of Exeter, 451 + (3)pp, untrimmed, original paper boards are loose and rubbed to edges, lacks spine, few prelims loose, usual some slight off-setting. Printed and Published by P. Hedgeland, Exeter: 1806. £30.00
- Lamplugh (Lois) BARNSTAPLE Town on the Taw. Plates, textual illusts, xv + 174pp, roy 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Second edition revised, Phillimore, Chichester: 2002. £10.00
- Lepine (David) and Orme (Nicholas), editor DEATH AND MEMORY IN MEDIEVAL EXETER. x + 372 + (2)pp, original pictorial card covers. Devon and Cornwall Record Society, Exeter: 2003. £10.00
- Minchinton (Walter) LIFE TO THE CITY Aspects of EXETER'S History. Illusts, maps, 122pp, original pictorial card covers. Devon Books, 1987. £5.00
- Nesbitt (F) ILFRACOMBE PARISH CHURCH. Illusts, folding plan, 91pp, few damp spots to the original cloth, title-page slightly spotty. Second Edition. Twiss Bros. Ilfracombe: 1906. £10.00
- O'Neill (H.C) DEVONSHIRE IDYLLS. Frontis, 219pp, sm 8vo, few spots to original cloth, spine faded. New Edition, London: Andrew Melrose, 1922. £8.00
- Polwhele (Rev. R) THE HISTORY OF DEVONSHIRE. Volum 2 of 3 only. With illusts, 46 + 382 + (1)pp, folio, small water stain to foot of dustwrapper. Originally published Exeter: 1793-1806. Reprinted, Kohler and Coombes, Dorking: 1977. £50.00
- Prideaux (Edith K) SUTCOMBE CHURCH AND ITS BUILDERS. Folding frontis and other plates, with 2 large folding tables of owners one of Theuborough and the other of Soldon, showing the coloured coats of arms of the families, 46 + 2 page Appendix, disbound with the text in 2 portions, and the tables loose, tear to inner margin of frontis neatly repaired to verso. J.C. Commin, Exeter: 1913. £12.00
- Reed (Margaret A) THE ROADS AND FOOTPATHS OF PILTON. Illusts, diagrams, 74pp, original card covers. Porcupines, Barnstaple: c.1972. £6.00
- Reichel (Rev. Oswald) THE MANOR AND HUNDRED OF CREDITON. Pages numbered 146-181, complete, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association, 1922. £12.00
- Rowe (Samuel) PERAMBULATION OF THE ANCIENT AND ROYAL FOREST OF DARTMOOR and the Venville Precincts.... Third Edition, revised and Corrected by J. Brooking Rowe. Illustrated from drawings by F.J. Widgery, 4 folding maps, 3" tear to one map, xvi + 516pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, spine slightly creased, ex-lib. with number to base of spine, label to front pastedown, and stamp and numbers to verso of title-page, some spotting to prelims. Third edition, Exeter: James G. Commin, London: Gibbings, 1896. £12.00
- Sambourne (R.C) EXETER A Century of Public Transport. Plates, maps, 104pp, 4to, slightly faded dustwrapper. Glasney Press, Falmouth: 1976. £18.00
- Scott (Wilfred) TO A FARMER BORN. Plates, 110pp, 12mo, original pictorial; card covers, private bookplate to verso of top cover. Bristol Broadsides (Co-op) Ltd., 1987. £9.00
* Scott's memories of being bought up on Middle Longcombe, a farm situated between Totnes and Paignton.
- Seymour (D.J) UPTON - THE HEART OF TORQUAY. The Story of its Church and Parish. Plates, maps, textual Illusts, 161pp, few short tears to dustwrapper. James Townsend and Sons Ltd., Exeter: (1963) £18.00
- Shelly (John), editor EIGHTH REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE OF WORKS OF ART IN DEVONSHIRE. 10pp, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association, 1887. £4.00
- Softly (Barbara) SIDBURY'S CHURCH OF A THOUSAND YEARS. Coloured and black and white illusts, 96pp, original pictorial card covers, signed presentation inscription by the author on the title-page. Westcountry Books, Tiverton: 2001. £10.00
- Spence (Charles) SOME ACCOUNT OF THE ANCIENT MANSION, FARDELL, COMPTON CASTLE. In the Parish of Cornwood, Devon. Pages numbered 156-160, 4to, disbound, complete, pages loose. Extracted from the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society Transactions, volume 7, 1851. £5.00
- Starkey (F.H) DARTMOOR CROSSES & Some Ancient Tracks. Diagrams, vi + 160pp, original pictorial card covers. Callington: Penwell Ltd., 1983. £10.00
- Stoyle (Mark) FROM DELIVERANCE TO DESTRUCTION. Rebellion and Civil War in an English City. (Exeter). Maps, illusts, xvi + 232pp, pictorial card covers. University of Exeter Press, Exeter: 1994. £10.00
- Sturdy (R.K), and others TOWN MILLS CHUDLEIGH. The Story of the Mill and the Town. Illusts, adverts, 32pp, original card covers, early price in ink and signs where small label removed from top cover. Bendles, Torquay: c197- £4.00
- Thomas (Peter) EXETER Yesterday & Today.. Illusts, 159pp, original pictorial card covers. Sutton Publishing, Stroud: 2000. £5.00
- Torr (C) SMALL TALK AT WREYLAND. Second Series. 120 + 4 pages of publishers adverts, untrimmed in the original qtr buckram paper boards, corners of boards rubbed, some foxing to prelims. First edition, Cambridge at the University Press, 1921. £15.00
* 'Wreyland is land by the Wrey, a little stream in Devonshire. The Wrey flows into the Bovey, and the Bovey into the Teign.... The land is on the east side of the Wrey, just opposite the village of Lustleigh.' Preface.
- Torrington REPORT ON THE BOROUGH OF TORRINGTON. (Devonshire) Title + pages numbered 632-638, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound, pages loose. House of Commons, London: 1835. £14.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Twyford (H.P) IT CAME TO OUR DOOR. The Story of Plymouth in the Second World War. Illusts., 214pp, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper. Sixth impression revised. Plymouth: 1975. £10.00
- Vivian (Lt.-Col. J.L) VISITATIONS OF THE COUNTY OF DEVON, Comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with Additions. iv + 899pp, 4to, early qtr morocco, cloth boards, recased, inner hinges strengthened, old spine laid down, 2 portions of morocco missing from surface of spine, including 'V' from Visitations, and large portion from foot, marbled endpapers, covers rubbed to edges. For the Author by H.S. Eland, Exeter: (1895) £410.00
- Whitlock (Ralph) FOLKLORE OF DEVON. Map, textual illusts, 214pp, dustwrapper. B.T. Batsford, London: 1977. £10.00
- Worth (R. Hansford) THE STONE ROWS OF DARTMOOR. Part VIII. Two full-page diagrams, 2pp, slightly spotty original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 1908. £4.00
- Wrey (Florence) TAWSTOCK CHURCH North Devon. Written and Illustrated by Florence Wrey. 32pp, sm 4to, lacks title-page, original cloth boards, boards slightly soiled, stitching partly broken. First edition, Barnstaple: Marks Brothers, 107, High Street. 1892. £12.00
A further selection of DEVON Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Adams (Victor J) A THOUSAND YEARS OF BLANDFORD HISTORY. 24 unnumbered pages, original card covers are covered with a transparent plastic sheet. Blandford Local History Monograph, 1983. £5.00
- Bankes (Viola) A DORSET HERITAGE The Story of Kingston Lacy. With 8 plates, 200pp, few small nicks to dustwrapper, spine of dustwrapper slightly rubbed. London: The Richards Press, 1953. £12.00
- Burrow (Ed. J) BURROW'S GUIDE. LYME REGIS (Dorset) With Sections on Walks, Rambles and Motor Tours. Illusts, map, 36pp, original pictorial card covers slightly dusty. Ed. J. Burrow & Co. Ltd., Cheltenham: c.193- £5.00
- Dorchester Borough Council DORCHESTER. Dorset. Official Guide. Folding plan, illusts, adverts, maps, 107pp, 12mo, original pictorial wraps. The Friary Press, Dorchester: c.1962. £4.00
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1929. Volume 51. With illusts, cii + 279pp, original cloth. F.G. Longman, Dorchester: 1930. £15.00
* Includes articles:- List of Coleoptera of Dorset; Chettle Down Earthwork; Effigies in Horton Church; Roman Coins from Jordan Hill, Weymouth, etc.
- Gomme (George Laurence), editor ENGLISH TOPOGRAPHY, PART III. (Derbyshire, Dorsetshire.) The Gentleman's Magazine Library: Being A Classified Collection of the Chief Contents of the Gentleman's Magazine from 1731 to 1868. xi + 361pp, untrimmed in the original cloth. Elliot Stock, London: 1893. £15.00
- [Grundy (G.B)] DORSET CHARTERS. Pages numbered 110-130, original printed wrappers partly faded. Reprinted from the Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, 1934. £6.00
* Covers:- Cann, Chalbury, and Cheselborne.
- Hodges (Michael A) PREPARED FOR BATTLE. Some details of forts and fights in and near Christchurch over the last three millenia. Maps, diagrams, 78pp, original pictorial card covers. Revised, Christchurch Printing Co. Ltd., 1982. £8.00
- Jackson (B.L) and Tattershall (M.J) THE BRIDPORT BRANCH. Illusts, diagrams, maps, 208pp, original pictorial card covers. Oxford Publishing Company, Headington: 1976. £10.00
- McQueen (Ian) BOURNEMOUTH ST. PETER'S Illusts, 290pp, short tear to dustwrapper. Dorset Publishing Company, Sherborne: 1971. £10.00
- Miles (William Augustus) A DESCRIPTION OF THE DEVEREL BARROW, Opened A.D. 1825. Also a Minute Account of the KIMMERIDGE COAL MONEY, A Most Mysterious and Nondescript Article. With two engraved and one printed title, and 8 engraved plates, viii + (3)-53pp, lacks top board, slightly shaken, occasional light foxing. Cockers, Printers, Frome: 1826. £30.00 --- See sample text
- Thomas (Jo) STONE QUARRYING. Discover Dorset. Maps, illusts. 79pp, original pictorial card covers. The Dovecote Press, Wimborne: 1998. £8.00
- Trades' Directory, Ltd, publisher SOUTH-WESTERN COUNTIES OF ENGLAND TRADES' DIRECTORY 1958 - 59. The DORSET SECTION only. 28pp, recent cloth, ex-ref. lib. with label to front pastedown and stamp to title-page. Trades Directories Limited, Manchester: 1959. £7.00
- Weinstock (Maureen), editor WEYMOUTH AND MELCOMBE REGIS Minute Book 1625-1660. Dorset Record Society. Publication No 1. 108pp, stapled, original paper wraps, label on top wrap, lacks cloth spine. Publication No 1 of the Dorset Record Society, Dorchester: 1964. £12.00
A further selection of DORSET Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Baddeley (St. Clair) EBBWORTH MANOR. Pages numbered 245-252, complete, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1929. £5.00
- Bigland (Ralph) BADGEWORTH. Extracted from Bigland's Historical, Monumental and Genealogical Collections Relative to Gloucestershire. Copper plate engraving in the text, 6pp, folio, few short tears to margins. London: Printed by John Nichols for Ralph Bigland, 1791. £12.00
- Bigland (Ralph), Brian Frith, editor HISTORICAL, MONUMENTAL AND GENEALOGICAL COLLECTIONS RELATIVE TO THE COUNTY OF GLOUCESTER. Part 2. Daglingworth - Moreton Valence. Illusts, xiv + 441-888pp. Reproduced in reduced facsimile, with new appendices, personal-name, and place-name indexes. Dustwrapper. Gloucestershire Record Series, 1990. £20.00
- Brill (Edith) and Turner (Peter) THE MINOR PLEASURES OF COTSWOLD. Map and 54 photographic illusts, xiii + 64pp, dustwrapper. First edition, 1971. £10.00
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1877-8. Volume 2. Part 1 of 2 only. Illusts, 182pp, original printed wraps, spine slightly rubbed and with small portion missing from head. C.T. Jefferies and Sons, Briustol: (1878) £10.00
* Includes articles:- Tyndale family; Stowell House and Park; Monumental Brasses at Cirencester, etc..
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, compiled by Eileen M. Richardson TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY - GENERAL INDEX to Volumes 61-70 (1939-1951). 112pp, original printed wraps. Gloucester: Printed for the Society by John Bellows, 1956. £10.00
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1982. Volume 100. Illusts, 282pp, roy 8vo, original wraps. Gloucester: 1982. £7.00
* Includes articles:- Birdlip Cemetery; Excavations of a Romano-British settlement at Barnsley Park; Early Policing Methods in Gloucestershire, etc.
- Clift (Major J.G.N) LECKHAMPTON MOAT. Plan, diagrams, Pages numbered 235-248, complete, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1933. £5.00
- Dobell (C.M) MEMOIRS OF OLD CHARLTON KINGS. A Series of Short Papers Written For the Charlton Kings Parish Magazine. Original printed boards, 57pp. Norman, Sawyer and Co., Cheltenham: 1898. £25.00
- Evans (Herbert A) GLOUCESTERSHIRE Cambridge County Geographies. Coloured map endpapers, diagrams, illustrations, 155pp, 12mo, original cloth. First edition, Cambridge at the University Press: 1909. £8.00
- Evans (J.T), editor THE CHURCH PLATE OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE. With 21 plates, and 2 textual illusts, xxiv + 264pp, original cloth, roy 8vo. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1906. £25.00
- Fryer (Alfred C) GLOUCESTERSHIRE FONTS. Part XVII. (c) Post-reformation Period. With index to parts I-XVII. With 10 plates, pages numbered 123-182, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, c.1927. £7.00
- Fuller (Rev. E.A) MEDIEVAL CIRENCESTER. Pages numbered 107-115, complete, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1932. £5.00
- Gilbert (Edward) A GUIDE TO THE PRIORY CHURCH AND SAXON CHAPEL DEERHURST, GLOUCESTERSHIRE. Plates, plan, 12pp, 12mo, original pictorial card covers. Reprinted with additional illustrations, Newman, Printer, Tewkesbury: 1958. £4.00
- Hadley (J.J), printer and publisher THE CHELTENHAM TRACTS AND TALES. (Taken from the Real Incidents of Life.) By a Resident and Dedicated to the Inhabitants of Cheltenham. (Tracts No 1, 2 and 3) 19pp, 12mo, disbound. Cheltenham: J.J. Hadley, Journal Office, c.1845 £15.00
- Hart (Cyril) THE VERDERERS AND FOREST LAWS OF DEAN With notes on the Speech House and Deer. Plates and textual illusts, 240pp, dustwrapper. First edition, David & Charles, Newton Abbot: 1971. £15.00
- Holbrook (Neil) and Jurica (John) TWENTY-FIVE YEARS OF ARCHAEOLOGY IN GLOUCESTERSHIRE. A Review of New Discoveries and New Thinking in Gloucestershire South Gloucestershire and Bristol 1979-2004. Diagrams, plans, maps, vii + 265pp, 4to, original card covers. Cotswold Archaeological Trust, 2006. £9.00
- Huxley (Ron) THE RISE AND FALL OF THE SEVERN BRIDGE RAILWAY 1872-1970. Maps, diagrams, illusts, 172pp, original pictorial card covers. Alan Sutton, Gloucester: 1984. £10.00
* Signed by the author on the title-page.
- Langston (J.N) ROBERT ALFIELD, SCHOOLMASTER OF GLOUCESTER: and His Sons. Pages numbered 141-163, complete, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1934. £5.00
- Overbury (Thomas) THE PARISH CHURCH OF S. EDWARD, STOW-ON-THE-WOLD. Plan, pages numbered 193-204, complete, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1925. £5.00
- Radford (C.A. Ralegh) BELAS KNAP LONG BARROW. Pages numbered 295-299, complete, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1930. £5.00
- Rushworth (G. McNeil) WARKWORTH. Pages numbered 265-274, complete, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1930. £5.00
- Saville (Alan), editor ARCHAEOLOGY IN GLOUCESTERSHIRE From the Earliest Hunters to the Industrial Age. Essays dedicated to Helen O'Neil and the late Elsie Clifford. Illusts, maps, diagrams, 352pp, paperback, slightly rubbed to edges. Cheltenham Art Gallery and the Bristol Archaeological Society, Cheltenham: 1984. £8.00
- Sayce (Robert) THE HISTORY OF THE ROYAL AGRICULTURAL COLLEGE. CIRENCESTER. An Independent College. Illusts including coloured plates, xii + 370pp, roy 8vo, dustwrapper. Stroud: Alan Sutton, 1992. £12.00
- Stonham (Jessie M) DAUGHTER OF WYEDEAN AND KERNOW. Notes from a West Country Childhood. Illusts, 152pp, dustwrapper. Thornhill Press, Gloucester: 1978. £10.00
- Victoria County History, edited by William Page VICTORIA HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF GLOUCESTER. Volume 2. Plates and textual illusts, xv + 448pp, 4to, original cloth, slightly rubbed, few snags to head and foot of spine, 3" split to foot of rear outer hinge, ex-Bristol University labels to front endpapers, slightly shaken. First edition, Archibald Constable, London: 1907. £22.00
* Contains chapters on Ecclesiastical, Social and Economic History, Agriculture, Forestry, Sports, Ancient and Modern including Stag and Fox-hunting.
A further selection of GLOUCESTERSHIRE Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Belham (Peter) VILLAGES OF THE FROME AREA: A History. 150pp, original pictorial card covers, private bookplate to verso of top cover. Frome Society for Local Study, 1992. £10.00
- Britton (John), and Peach (R.E.M) THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF BATH ABBEY CHURCH. Continued to the Present Time, with Additional Notes by R.E.M. Peach. With Six Illustrations. xix + 107pp, later half calf, cloth sides, marbled endpapers, top outer hinge partly cracked, few spots and small water stain to outer edge of frontis. Charles Hallett, Bath: 1887. £28.00
- Bush (Robin) SOMERSET The Complete Guide. Maps, numerous photographic illusts, some in colour, 256pp, original pictorial card covers. The Dovecote Press, Wimborne: 1994. £10.00
- Coysh (A.W), Mason (E.J) and Waite (V) THE MENDIPS. With 25 plates, line illusts, x + 232pp, dustwrapper chipped to top edge, few spots to endpapers. Reprinted, Robert Hayle, London: 1954. £10.00
- Dan'l Grainger (David J. Gass) MORE DOWN=ALONG TALKS By "Dan'l Grainger". Somerset Folk Series No 24. Frontis, 48 +pp, 12mo, original printed wraps, 2 leaves slightly ragged, presumably where carelessly opened. London: Folk Press, 1926. £5.00
- Down (C.G.) and Warrington (A.J) THE HISTORY OF THE SOMERSET COALFIELD. Plates, text illust, 283pp, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper, inscription on front endpaper. First edition, Newton Abbot: David and Charles, (1971) £10.00
- Egan (P) WALKS THROUGH BATH, Describing Everything of Interest.... including Walcot and Widcombe and the surrounding vicinity.... also an excursion to Clifton and Bristol Hot-Wells.... Illustrated with 21 engraved plates. xii + 329pp, sm 8vo, early half calf, marbled boards, raised bands, covers rubbed to edges, lacks lettering piece from spine, outer hinges partly cracked, ex-lib. with labels to front pastedown, and a stamp to margins of plates. Bath: Printed for Meyler and Son, 1819. £35.00
- Gadd (David) GEORGIAN SUMMER Bath in the Eighteenth Century. Full page and text illusts, xi + 195pp, couple of short tears to lightly rubbed dustwrapper. Adams and Dart, Bath: 1971. £12.00
- Greenwood (C) and (J) SOMERSETSHIRE DELINEATED: Being a Topographical Description of each Town, Parish, Chapelry, &c. In the County.... and useful as An Index to a Survey made in the Year 1821. (vi) + 215pp, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. First published 1822. Reprinted, Alan Sutton. Gloucester: 1980. £15.00
- Irvine (J.T) DESCRIPTION OF THE REMAINS OF THE NORMAN CATHEDRAL OF BATH, exposed during the repairs made between 1863 and 1872. With 2 plans, 10pp, recent paper boards, paper label on spine, head of spine bruised with paper hinge partly split, original printed wraps bound in. British Archaeological Association, 1890. £12.00
- Jones (Reg) DOWN MEMORY LANE My story of Midsomer Norton. Plates, 78pp, original pictorial card covers, signed presentation inscription and private bookplate to verso of top cover. Reprinted 1985. £10.00
- Leighton (Wilfrid) THE MANOR AND PARISH OF BURNETT, SOMERSET. With 7 plates, pages numbered 243-285, original paper wraps. Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1938. £10.00
- Lewis (Rev. Lionel Smithett), Vicar of Glastonbury ST. JOSEPH OF ARIMATHEA AT GLASTONBURY or The Apostolic Church of Britain. Sixth and Much Enlarged Edition.... With 10 illusts, 112pp, original wraps, prelims and wraps slightly spotty. Clare, Son & Co. Ltd., Wells. A.R. Mowbray, London: 1937. £11.00
- Lewis (Richard) NUNNEY. Map, illusts, 12pp, original pictorial card covers, private bookplate to verso of top cover. Nunney Community Association, n.d. c.197- £4.00
- Littlewood (W.E), Vicar of St. James', Bath A MONTH IN THE UNITED STATES. A Lecture Delivered at the Grand Pump-Room, Bath, on Monday Oct. 4th, 1875. 20pp, disbound, lacks wraps, some foxing. Printed at the Gazette Office, Bath: 1875. £10.00
- Martin (A.T) THE CRUCIFORM EARTHWORK ON BANWELL HILL, SOMERSET. With 1 plate, 10pp, original wraps. (Reprinted from the 'Proceedings of the Clifton Antiquarian Club.') William Pollard, Exeter: 1899. £6.00
- Morris (J.W.), editor HANDBOOK TO BATH Prepared on the Occasion of the Visit of The British Association, 1888. By Various Authors. Folding map, lacks map from pocket at the rear, v + 264pp, covers slightly rubbed, and spotty, small hole to top outer hinge, ex-lib. with label to front endpaper and stamp to verso of title-page. Isaac Pitman and Sons, Bath: (1888) £12.00
- Pevsner (Nikolaus) SOUTH AND WEST SOMERSET. (Buildings of England Series) Illusts, double-page map, 394pp, original cloth, couple of short tears to lightly rubbed dustwrapper. First Edition, Penguin, Harmondsworth: 1958. £15.00
- Poole (Charles Henry) THE CUSTOMS SUPERSTITIONS AND LEGENDS OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET. Collected from various sources. 147pp, 12mo, original printed card covers. Second Edition, The Toucan Press, Guernsey: 1970. £10.00
- Raymond (Stuart) SOMERSET A Genealogical Bibliography. 107pp, original printed card covers. Federation of Family History Societies, Birmingham: 1991 £6.00
- Ross (David Melville) LANGPORT AND ITS CHURCH. The Story of the Ancient Borough, with References to Neighbouring Parishes. Illusts, xv + 381pp, 4to, original cloth, slightly soiled and rubbed, two small holes in top outer hinge, inner hinges cracked and weak, top corner of top cover bruised, paper slightly browned to edges as usual. The Herald Press, Langport: 1911. £65.00
- Sandall (Alan G) GOING, GOING, GONE! The history of Frome's Livestock Market.... Plates, 50pp, original pictorial card covers, private bookplate to verso of top cover. Alan Sandall, Frome: 1991. £5.00
- Somersetshire Archaeological Society SOMERSETSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY VOLUME 42. Proceedings during the year 1896. Illusts, vii + 33 + 98pp, original wraps, later amateur paper tape on spine, covers slightly chipped to edges. Taunton: 1896. £20.00
* Includes articles:- Cerne Abbey; Sherborne Castle; Barrows on the Brendon Hills, etc.
- Somersetshire Archaeological Society SOMERSETSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY VOLUME 58. Proceedings during the year 1912. Illusts, x + 134 + 204 + 24 + 85pp, original wraps, spine split and held by strings, lacks lower wrap, top wrap spotty. Taunton: 1913. £15.00
* Includes articles:- Nynehead; Glastonbury Abbey; Mosses of Somerset, etc.
- Somersetshire Archaeological Society SOMERSETSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY. Volume 105. Proceedings for 1960-61. Illusts, 169pp, original card covers, ownership stamp to top cover. Taunton: 1961. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Wraxall Villa; Barrow Mead, Bath; Livery Badges and Personal Badges in Early Tudor Work at Cheddon Fitzpaine and Staple Fitzpaine; Bath Politics in the Eighteenth Century, etc.
- Somersetshire Archaeological Society SOMERSETSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY Volume 109. Proceedings during 1964-65. Illusts, 128 + 49-56pp, original card covers, top cover slightly creased. Taunton: 1965. £8.00
* Includes articles:- George Hotel, Yeovil; Brympton D'Evercy; High Sheriffs of Somerset; Newton Surmaville, etc.
- Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society PROCEEDINGS OF THE BATH AND DISTRICT BRANCH 1935. Plates, diagrams, pages numbered 51-101, original printed wraps, partly faded, early name and date to top cover, private bookplate to verso of top cover. Bath: Mendip Press, 1935. £9.00
* Includes articles:- Uleybury Camp; Excavations at Camerton; Caes of Mendip, etc.
- Somerset Year Book, edited by Douglas Macmillan SOMERSET YEAR BOOK. 1930. No 29. Illusts, adverts, 130pp, original printed wraps, short split to top outer hinge. Society of Somerset Folk, 1930. £12.00
* Includes articles:- Bicknoller and the Quantock Hills; Frome; Kilmersdon; Witchery of Somerset; Monmouth Rebellion;, etc.
- Stephenson (Joseph Henry) GLIMPSES OF THE WEST. and Other Thoughts in Verse. 96pp, 12mo, few spots to original embossed cloth, cloth dull and lightly rubbed, slightly shaken. B. Gooch, Weston-super-Mare and W. Kent, London: 1864. £18.00
* The verses are mainly Descriptive of Somerset Scenery. Several of the poems are preceeded with interesting notes on the places concerned. Stephenson was the Rector of Lymsham, Prebendary of Wells and Rural Dean.
- Sweetman (George), editor and publisher JACK WHITE'S GIBBET, a local Legend. New Version. Second Edition. Pamphlet, 17pp, original printed wraps, staples slightly rusty. George Sweetman, Market Place, Wincanton, 1896. £10.00
- Swift (Andrew) THE RINGING GROOVES OF CHANGE. Brunel and the Coming of the Railway to Bath. With The Story of Box Tunnel & A Brunel Trail from Keynsham to Box. Illusts, maps, 295pp, original pictorial card covers. Akerman Press, Bath: 2006. £10.00
* Signed by the author 'Andrew' on the title-page. On the front and rear endpapers are dozens of signatures from 'Nev and the miners,' and others to Lynn (Willies) author and engineer who worked on the Coombe Down stone mines.
- Tunstall (James) RAMBLES ABOUT BATH and its Neighbourhood. Based on Dr. Tunstall's work. Illustrated Edition. Plates, textual illusts, xvi + 384pp, includes adverts, original decorative cloth, rubbed, rear outer hinge split, top outer hinge partly split, portion torn from head of spine not affecting title, endpapers partly pasted down. London: Isaac Pitman, Bath: William Lewis, 1889. £7.00
- Woodward (Christopher) THE BUILDING OF BATH. Coloured illusts, 40pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. Building of Bath Museum, c.2000. £10.00
A further selection of SOMERSET Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Child (Mark) SHIRE COUNTY GUIDE: WILTSHIRE. Map, illusts, 56pp, original pictorial card covers. Shire Publications, Aylesbury: 1984. £4.00
- Crampton (Patrick) STONEHENGE OF THE KINGS. A People Appear. Map endpapers, plates, textual diagrams, 171pp, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper. London: John Baker, 1967. £8.00
- Cunnington (Mrs M.E), and Godard (Rev. E.H), compiled by CATALOGUE OF ANTIQUITIES IN THE MUSEUM of the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society at Devizes. Part II. Numerous illusts, original paper wraps, worn, a few spots to wraps, spine worn, stitching loosening, short tear to top wrap. Published by the Society at the Museum. First edition. 1911. £10.00
- Flavin (Stephen) CORSHAM BORN AND BRED. A Portrait in Old Picture Postcards. Illusts, 111pp, original pictorial card covers. S.B. Publications, Market Drayton: 1991. £9.00
- Goodrich (Rev. P.J) TROWBRIDGE AND ITS TIMES, A Tribute. With 24 plates, ix + 217pp, binders cloth, few small marks to top board, signs where label removed from front endpaper, accession number in ink to foot of title-page, one leaf torn without loss. First edition, London: Sir Isaac Pitman & Sons Ltd. 1932. £14.00
- Jackson (Canon), and Beddoe (J) THE HALL, BRADFORD-ON-AVON, Sometime called Kingston House. Reprinted from the Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine. Annotated and Brought up to Date by J. Beddoe. Frontis, pedigrees, text illusts, 45pp, slightly rubbed original printed wraps, portions missing from head and foot of spine, some foxing. Wm. Dotesio, Bradford-on-Avon. 1908. £10.00
- [Jefferies (Richard)] THE GAMEKEEPER AT HOME. Sketches of Natural History and Rural Life. vi + 216pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges. Third Edition, London: Smith Elder & Co., 1879. £20.00
- [Ledwich (E)] ANTIQUITATES SARISBURIENSIS: or, the History and Antiquities of Old and New Sarum: Original Records, and early Writers. With an Appendix. With 2 folding engraved plates, 307 + (3)pp, library style qtr morocco, cloth boards, ex-lib., with labels to front pastedown and front endpaper, number to foot of spine, small stamp to title-page, ink note to title and contemporary dated signature. New Edition. Salisbury: Printed and Sold by E. Easton. 1777. £40.00
- Lock (Anne) CORSHAM. The Archive Photographs Series. Illusts, 127pp, original pictorial card covers. Chalford Publishing, Stroud: 1997. £8.00
- Long (Charles Edward) WILD DARRELL, OF LITTLECOTE. With Pedigree and Notes. Folding pedigree, 24pp, original printed wraps, some spotting to wraps and first few leaves. Reprinted from Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine. c.1900. £10.00
- Marlborough College REPORT OF THE MARLBOROUGH COLLEGE NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY For the Year ending Christmas, 1909. Illusts, 56 + (52)pp, original printed wraps, portions chipped from head and foot of spine, short tear to rear wrap. Marlborough: "Times Printing Office", 1910. £6.00
- Mountford (Eric R) SWINDON GWR REMINISCENCES. 112pp, original pictorial card covers. Bradford Barton, Truro: c.1980. £8.00
* The reminiscences of the town where he was born, and the Great Western Railway works, where he worked during the 1920's and 1930's.
- Ponting (Kenneth G) WOOL AND WATER. Bradford-on-Avon and the River Frome. With 24 illusts, 66pp, laminated boards head of spine slightly snagged. Moonraker Press, Bradford-on-Avon: 1975. £15.00
- Smith (Rev. A.C) ON THE OLD PORCH-HOUSE AT POTTERNE. 20pp, 12mo, lacks wraps, small mark to title-page. Sheppard & St. John, London: 1887. £12.00
- Vernon (T.E) NOTES ON THE PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CRUDWELL, WILTS. Illusts., 36pp, couple of short tears to dustwrapper. LIMITED EDITION OF 250 COPIES. Melksham: 1962. £12.00
- Victoria County History, edited by D.A. Crowley A HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 14. Plates and illusts, xx + 267pp, small folio, original cloth, dustwrapper, ex-Bristol University label with small stamp to foot of one prelim and last leaf, slight signs where label removed from pastedown, otherwise a nice copy. Oxford University Press, 1991. £45.00
* Covers the Malmesbury Hundred.
- Warminster RULES OF COURT OAK, No. 1859 of the Ancient Order of Foresters. 7pp, original printed wraps, pencil notes to one leaf, loosely inserted are several single sheets of 'Partial Amendment of Branch Rules.' Warminster: Coates & Parker, c1933. £9.00
- Wheatley (Maria), Taylor (Busty) AVEBURY Sun, Moon and Earth. Illusts, some in colour diagrams, 49pp, original pictorial card covers. Wessex Books, 2008. £7.00
* Signed by the authors on the title-page.
- Williams (Dorian) THE CLASSICAL RIDING MASTER The Wilton House Collection. With 55 coloured plates, with accompanying text, few short tears to dustwrapper. oblong 8vo. 1979. £15.00
* A study of the gouache pictures commissioned by the 10th Earl of Pembroke which show all the exercises of classical equestrianism.
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE. Volume 7. Plates and plans some of which are folding, iv + 334p, contemporary half calf, marbled boards, rubbed, outer hinges partly split, inner hinges slightly weak. Devizes: Henry Bull, 1862. £20.00
* Includes articles on Silbury; Roman Villa at North Wraxhall; Flora of Wiltshire; Marlborough; and Swindon, etc.
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE, Volume 20. Plates and plans some of which are folding, including 2 mounted photographs, 348pp, contemporary half calf, raised bands, marbled boards, lacks label, rubbed, outer hinges partly split, small ownership stamp to front endpaper. Devizes: H.F. Bull, 1882. £20.00
* Includes articles:- Edington Monastery; Monkton Farleigh; Heraldry in Boyton Church; Wiltshire Geology and Palaeontology, etc.
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE. Volume 25. Plates and plans some of which are folding, iv + 364pp, complete in 3 parts, 2 parts with the partly faded original printed wraps, one part lacks lower wrap. Devizes: C.H. Woodward, 1890-1891. £24.00
* Includes articles:- James Ley. Earl of Marlborough; Edington Church; Roman Remains at Hannington Wick; Geology of Devizes; Excavations at Rotherley, Woodcuts and Bokerly Dyke, etc.
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE. Volume 36. Plates and plans some of which are folding, iv + 706pp, contemporary half calf, marbled boards and endpapers, rubbed, brown tape crudely applied to spine, some occasional foxing. Devizes: C.H. Woodward, 1910. £20.00
* Includes articles on Tisbury Church; Trinity Hospital, Salisbury; Marlborough Chantries; Long Barrow at Longhill; Barrows at Heddington, etc.
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE. Volume 61. 1966. With 4 plates, plans, diagrams, iv + 145pp, original printed card covers. Headley Brothers Ltd., London: 1966. £6.00
* Includes articles on St. Mary's Church, Cricklade; Norton Manor; Salisbury Preaching Controversy, 1798-1799; Pagan Saxon Burials and Boundaries in Wiltshire, etc.
A further selection of WILTSHIRE Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Atkinson (Barry) MINING SITES IN CORNWALL AND SOUTH WEST DEVON. Illusts, ix + 86pp, original pictorial card covers. Dyllansow Truran, Redruth: 1988. £8.00
- Beddington (Winifred G) and Christy (Elsa B) IT HAPPENED IN HAMPSHIRE Doings, Sayings, and Interests, Past and Present. Collected from Villages in Hampshire by Members of the Hampshire Federation of Women's Institutes. 222pp, paper wraps. The Hampshire Federation of Women's Institute, Winchester: (1937) £9.00
* Signed by Beddington on the half-title.
- Birch (Clive) THE BOOK OF BEACONSFIELD. Cr 4to, 148pp, dustwrapper. Includes 1 page list of subscribers. Second Edition. Barracuda Books, Buckingham: 1982. £10.00
- Blake (Steven) GEORGE ROWE, ARTIST AND LITHOGRAPHER 1796-1864. Coloured and black and white plates, 72pp, original pictorial card covers. Cheltenham Art Gallery and Museums, 1982. £6.00
* Rowe worked in Exeter and Cheltenham, and later in his life in Australia.
- Bonnett (Harold) SAGA OF THE STEAM PLOUGH. Plates, 208pp, dustwrapper. New Impression. David & Charles, Newton Abbot: 1972. £16.00
- Bonser (Wilfrid) A BIBLIOGRAPHY OF FOLKLORE As contained in the first eighty years of the publications of the Folklore Society. xiv + (11) + 126pp, original cloth. Folk Lore Society, London: 1961. £10.00
- Brayshay (Mark), editor TOPOGRAPHICAL WRITERS IN SOUTH WEST ENGLAND. Illusts, 200pp, original pictorial card covers. University of Exeter Press, Exeter: 1996. £12.00
* Covers the period from 1600 to 1900.
- Burton (S.H) EXMOOR. Illusts., 175pp, dustwrapper, page edges and prelims spotty. First Edition, Westaway, London: 1952. £10.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset.
- Burton (S.H), compiled by A WEST COUNTRY ANTHOLOGY. With 16 plates, 224pp, spine of dustwrapper faded. First edition, Robert Hale, London: 1975. £9.00
* Includes extracts from:- Warner, Westcote, Hardy, Collins, Leland, Rowse, Fiennes etc.
- Butcher (A.L) CAVE SURVEY. Illusts, 40pp, original stapled card covers. Cave Research Group of Great Britain, No 3. Leamington Spa: c195- £12.00
- Clare (T) ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITES OF DEVON AND CORNWALL. Map, numerous illusts and diagrams, 160pp, dustwrapper Moorland Publishing, Ashbourne: 1982. £10.00
- Close (Colonel Sir Charles) THE EARLY YEARS OF THE ORDNANCE SURVEY. A Reprint with an Introduction by J.B. Harley and with an Index added. xxxv + 164pp, original card covers. David & Charles Reprints, Newton Abbot: 1969. £8.00
- Cramer (James) THE BOOK OF PORTSMOUTH. Numerous illusts, cr 4to, 144pp, dustwrapper. includes 3 page list of subscribers. Barracuda Books, Buckingham: 1985. £10.00
- Cunliffe (Barry) IRON AGE COMMUNITIES IN BRITAIN. An account of England, Scotland and Wales from the seventeenth century BC until the Roman conquest. Plates, diagrams, maps, plans, xviii + 438pp, 4to, dustwrapper. Second edition, Routledge & Kegan, London: 1978. £15.00
- Currie (Sir Mordaunt) WICKHAM BISHOPS A Social History of the Parish. Typescript 45 pages printed on rectos only, small folio, stapled lacks lower wrap. 1966. £15.00
- Davey (Cyril) WEST COUNTRY PLACE NAMES AND WHAT THEY MEAN. Avon, Somerset and Wiltshire. 36pp. 12mo, original card covers. Abson Books, Wick: 1991. £4.00
- Delderfield (E.R) WEST COUNTRY HISTORIC HOUSES AND THEIR FAMILIES. Volume 1. Cornwall, Devon and West Somerset. Illusts, 160pp, roy 8vo, dustwrapper slightly rubbed to edges. First edition, David & Charles, Newton Abbot: 1968. £6.00
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES. Volume 7. Part 5 of 8 only. With 10 plates, 6 loosely inserted and 5 of these are folding, pages numbered 145-192, original printed wraps, spine slightly chipped, top cover slightly dusty. James G. Commin. Exeter: January, 1913. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Exeter City Wall; Family of Walters; Rectors of Talaton; Early Charters of Crediton, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 18. Part 4 of 8 only. With 2 plates, 145-192pp, original wraps. James Townsend and Sons, Exeter: October, 1934. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Polsloe Priory; Lands of the Marquis of Exeter; Keble and Cornishes of Shalcombe; Brihtricestan, a Lost Manor; Woollen Industry in Great Torrington, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 25. Illusts, 230pp, binders cloth, ex-lib, labels to pastedowns, numbers to foot of spine and verso of title-page. James Townsend, Exeter: 1952-1953. £25.00
* Includes articles:- Dennys Family; Cornish Miners; Cornish Crosses; Burials in Woollen; Budleigh Salterton; Totnes Church; Arms of Pomeroy; Fowey; Colyton; Ivybridge; Rohants of Dodbrook and Portlemouth, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 27. Part 3 of 12 only. Plate, pages numbered 65-80, complete, original printed wraps, private library stamp to top wrap. Exeter: James Townsend, July, 1956. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Llanivery Crosses; Rectors of Down Saint Mary; Wreck of the "Postilion", 1732, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 27. With 13 plates, 343pp, 12 parts, complete, in the original printed wraps, library stamp to 8 top wraps. Exeter: James Townsend, 1956-1958. £23.00
* Includes articles:- John Couch Adams; Francis Court; Chagford; Cornish Crosses; Cornish Volunteers; Tavistock; Devon Artists; Radford family; St. Germans; Sidbury; Grampound elections; Rectors of Down St. Mary; J.S. Prout; Thomas Flindell, Cornwall's Pioneer Journalist, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 29. Parts 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 only of 11. 9 parts in the original printed wraps. James Townsend, Torquay: 1962-1964. £18.00
* Includes articles:- Tiverton, Cornish Crosses; Surrender of the Scilly in Isles in 1651; North Trewortha; Rowe family; Siege of Plymouth; East Ogwell; Lapford Field Names, etc.
- Dickinson (H.W) JAMES WATT Craftsman & Engineer. With 17 plates, textual illusts, xvi + 207pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed, lacks front endpaper. Inscription to front pastedown. Reprinted, David and Charles, Newton Abbot: 1967. £9.00
- Doddington-Pigot THE REGISTERS OF DODDINGTON-PIGOT, Co. Lincoln. 1562-1812. Transcribed and Edited by The Rev. R.E.G. Cole. xii + 110pp, original wraps loose, lacks spine, ex-lib. with a couple of small stamps. Parish Registers Society: 1898. £15.00
- Domesday Book MIDDLESEX. Text and translation edited by John Morris, edited from a draft translation prepared by Sara Wood. With a map, dustwrapper, neat inscription on half title. Phillimore, Chichester: 1975. £10.00
- [Dunton (John)] THE MERCIFUL ASSIZES, Or, A Panegyric on the Late Lord Jefferys hanging so many in the West with the lives, characters, dying speeches of the many hundreds that were converted by his lordship's sentence: as also some secret memoirs relating to the West, never publish'd till now: in a letter Madam H. who had a brother drawn hang'd and quarter'd at Taunton.... Bound with.... An Answer to the Panegyric on the Late Lord Jefferys. By a Friend of the Lady's, to whom 'twas directed. Lacks title and second leaf, A2 is loose and has a cellotape stain to inner margin, 405 (there are many errors of pagination) + 3pp and 24pp, sm 8vo, full calf rubbed, boards loose, lacks spine. London: Printed for Eliz. Harris at the Harrow in Little-Britain.... 1701. £120.00
* The second item has its own title-page and the same imprint, but may not have been issued separately.
- Edmonds (E.A), McKeown and Williams (M) BRITISH REGIONAL GEOLOGY: SOUTH-WEST ENGLAND. Based on previous editions by H. Dewey. Illusts, maps, some of which are folding and coloured, diagrams, 130pp, original pictorial card covers, slightly rubbed to edges. Third edition, H.M.S.O. London: 1969. £10.00
- Fairclough (Tony) and Shepherd (Eric) MINERAL RAILWAYS OF THE WEST COUNTRY. Numerous illusts, 96pp, oblong 8vo, dustwrapper, private ownership label to front pastedown. D. Bradford Barton, Truro: 1975. £15.00
- Fenner (Robin A) DEVON AND CORNWALL ILLUSTRATED Through the lens of a Postcard Photographer. Illusts, 122pp, 4to, original printed card covers, top corner of top cover creased and with a tear reinforced to verso, Stannary Press, Callington: 1986. £4.00
- Fordham (Sir Herbert George) STUDIES IN CARTO-BIBLIOGRAPHY British and French and in the Bibliography of Itineraries and Road-Books. vii + 180pp, original cloth. First published 1914, reprint, Dawsons, London: 1969. £12.00
- Gastineau (Henry) SOUTH WALES ILLUSTRATED IN A SERIES OF VIEWS. Comprising the Picturesque Scenery, Towns, Castles, Seats of the Nobility & Gentry, Antiquities, &c. Accompanied by Historical and Topographical Descriptions. With engraved vignette title-page, and 44 engraved views, and descriptive text, 4to, half roan, worn lacks spine, boards almost loose. This volume has 4 views cut out, and contains 17 of 26 views on Monmouthshire, 21 of 38 views of Glamorganshire, 2 of 28 views of Pembrokeshire, and 4 of 12 views of Breconshire as listed in the index. Jones and Co., London: c.1830. £25.00
- Grinsell (L.V) THE ARCHAEOLOGY OF WESSEX. An account of Wessex antiquities from the earliest times to the end of the pagan Saxon period, with special references to existing field monuments. Illusts, maps, xv + 384pp, slightly worn dustwrapper. First edition, London: Methuen, 1958. £10.00
- Guildhall Library NON-CONFORMIST, ROMAN CATHOLIC, JEWISH AND BURIAL GROUND REGISTERS. 30pp, original pictorial card covers. Second edition, revised, Guildhall Library, London: 1993. £4.00
- H.M.S.O. CENSUS 1961. ENGLAND AND WALES, POPULATION DWELLINGS HOUSEHOLDS. Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly, Devon, Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire. 26pp, small folio. H.M.S.O. London: 1963. £6.00
- Harper (Duncan) WILTS & SOMERSET A Railway Landscape. Illusts, maps, diagrams, 111pp, roy 8vo, dustwrapper. Millstream Books, Bath: 1987. £8.00
- Harris (Rendel) THE NOME. The After-Glow Essays Number Four. Diagrammatic map, 23pp, original paper boards. University of London Press, Ltd. 1934 £10.00
* In this essay Harris tries to prove that Watchet, in Somerset, amongst other place names, and places along the River Otter are derived from Egyptian words.
- Henderson (Arthur E) MELROSE ABBEY Then and Now. Illusts, 30 unpaginated pages, original qtr cloth tartan patterned paper boards. First edition, London: Simpkin Marshall, (1936) £10.00
* Signed by the author on the title-page.
- Higham (Robert), editor LANDSCAPE AND TOWNSCAPE IN THE SOUTH WEST. Maps, illusts, 130pp, original pictorial card covers. University of Exeter, 1989. £7.00
- Hopkins (Mary Alden) HANNAH MORE and Her Circle. Frontis and 8 plates, 274pp, few short tears to slightly rubbed dustwrapper. First edition, New York and Toronto: 1947. £12.00
- Hoskins (W.G) THE WESTWARD EXPANSION OF WESSEX. Folding map, 44pp, original card covers. Leicester University Press, 1960. £10.00
- Hurley (Jack) LEGENDS OF EXMOOR. Illusts, map, 64pp, original card covers. Reprinted, Exmoor Press, Dulverton: 1988. £4.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset.
- Hyett (Sir Francis) and Wells (Charles) MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT FOR GLOUCESTERSHIRE AND BRISTOL, 1900-29. Pages numbered 321-360, complete, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1929. £6.00
- Jacobs (Michael) & Warner (Malcolm) ART IN THE WEST COUNTRY. Jarrold Regional Guide Book 6. Coloured and black and white illusts, 32pp, original card covers. Phaidon Press, Oxford: 1980. £4.00
- Johnson (Stephen) BURGH CASTLE, Excavations by Charles Green 1958-61. East Anglian Archaeology Report No 20, 1983. Diagrams, plans, some of which are folding, vi + 131pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers, spine faded. Norfolk Archaeological Unit, Norfolk Museums Service, Dereham: 1983. £16.00
- Kent Archaeological Society ARCHAEOLOGIA CANTIANA. Being Contributions to the History and Archaeology of Kent. Volume CXVI (116). 1996. Plates, illusts, diagrams, 361pp, original cloth. Produced for the Society by Alan Sutton, Stroud: 1997. £4.00
* Articles include:- Wreck of S.S. Castor (1870-1894); Tonbridge Castle; Earthworks at Romney Marsh; Julliberrie's Grave, Chilham, etc.
- Knight (F.A) THE RAMBLES OF A DOMINIE. With Illustrations by E.T. Compton. 193pp, original decorative cloth. First edition, London: Wells Gardner, Darton & Co., (1891) £16.00
* Includes chapters on Dartmoor and the Mendips.
- Lauder (Rosemary Anne) EXMOOR TRAVELLERS. Black and white plates, map endpapers, ix + 142pp, oblong 4to, dustwrapper. Alan Sutton, Stroud: 1993. £12.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead, in Somerset.
- Lewis (G.R) THE STANNARIES A Study of the Medieval Tin Miners of Cornwall and Devon. xviii + 299pp, few spots to edges of dustwrapper. Reprinted, Truro: D. Bradford Barton, 1965. £30.00
- Markale (Jean) KING ARTHUR: KING OF KINGS. Translated by Christine Hauch. 242pp, couple of short rears to dustwrapper. Gordon and Cremonesi, London: (1977) £8.00
- McHardy (A.K), editor ROYAL WRITS ADDRESSED TO JOHN BUCKINGHAM Bishop of Lincoln 1363-1398. xxix + 197pp, original cloth. Canterbury and York Society. 1997. £14.00
- Mew (Fred) BACK OF THE WIGHT. Yarns of Wrecks and Smuggling. Plates, 113pp, dustwrapper slightly chipped to head of spine, rear of dustwrapper slightly soiled. Reprinted with additions, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1953. £10.00
- Meynell (Laurence) EXMOOR Plates, xv + 187pp, dustwrapper, page edges slightly spotty. Reprinted, Robert Hale, London: 1963. £8.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset.
- Miles (Roger) FORESTRY IN THE ENGLISH LANDSCAPE. Plates, diagrams, maps, 303pp, slightly worn dustwrapper. Faber & Faber, London: 1967. £5.00
* 'The writing of this book began eight years ago with a forestry survey in Exmoor.... ' author's foreword.
- Nock (O.S) HISTORICAL STEAM LOCOMOTIVES. With a coloured frontis and 68 photographs, xii + 162pp, few short tears to dustwrapper. First edition, London: Adam and Charles Black, 1959. £12.00
- Orme (Nicholas), editor UNITY & VARIETY. A History of the Church in Devon and Cornwall. Illusts, maps, plans, xiii + 242pp, original pictorial card covers. University of Exeter Press, 1991. £10.00
- Owners of Land RETURN OF OWNERS OF LAND IN BUCKINGHAM IN 1873. Buckingham section giving names of owners who owned more than an acre, address, extent of lands, and rental. Folio, 22pp, disbound. 1875. £12.00
- Owners of Land RETURN OF OWNERS OF LAND IN NORFOLK IN 1873. Norfolk section giving names of owners who owned more than an acre, address, extent of lands, and rental. Folio, 67pp, disbound, some spotting. 1875. £12.00
- Palgrave-Moore (Patrick) UNDERSTANDING THE HISTORY AND RECORDS OF NONCONFORMITY. 28pp, original card covers. 3rd edition, Elvery Dowers Publications, Norfolk: 1994. £4.00
- Pigot and Co's NATIONAL COMMERCIAL PIGOT'S DIRECTORY FOR 1830. Cornwall, Dorsetshire, Devonshire, Somersetshire, Wiltshire. With 5 folding maps, 282pp, original printed card covers. Originally published 1830. Facsimile reprint, King's Lynn: 1993. £15.00
- Pigot's PIGOT'S DIRECTORY OF NORFOLK 1830. Lacks map, pages numbered 527-607, complete, disbound. London: Pigot & Co., 1830. £25.00
- Pollard (Michael) THE HARDEST WORK UNDER HEAVEN. The Life and Death of the British Coal Miner. Plates, 189pp, dustwrapper. Hutchinson, London: 1984. £8.00
- Pudney (John) BRUNEL AND HIS WORLD. With 140 illusts, 128pp, dustwrapper Reprinted Thames and Hudson, London: 1975. £8.00
- Radford (C.A. Ralegh) and Swanton (Michael J) ARTHURIAN SITES IN THE WEST. Folding map, illusts, 62pp, card covers with pictorial dustwrapper. University of Exeter, 1975. £6.00
- Reid (Andy) THE UNION WORKHOUSE A Study Guide for Teachers and Local Historians. Illusts, 94pp, original pictorial card covers. Phillimore and Co., Chichester: 1994. £8.00
- Robertson (James), Clements (Pauline) THE AVON BOOKS Capturing the flavour of Avon in a nutshell. Line drawings, map, 64pp, tall 8vo, original pictorial laminated boards. Clover Press, Dulverton: 1982. £4.00
- Robinson (W.J) WEST COUNTRY CHURCHES. Volume 1 only of 4. Numerous illusts., 221pp, original cloth, narrow strip of cloth missing from head of spine. Bristol Times and Mirror, 1914. £16.00 --- See sample text
* This volume includes churches at:- Almondsbury, Abbots Leigh, Axbridge, Bristol, Barrow Gurney, Chepstow, Coalpit Heath, Berkeley, Bitton, Bradford on Avon, Corston, Badminton, etc.
- Seede-Parker (Edward Milward) GENEALOGICAL MEMORANDA RELATING TO THE FAMILY OF SEEDE, of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire. Frontis, 16pp, 4to, original printed wraps. Mitchell and Hughes, London: 1890. £12.00
* The family resided at Tetbury, Upton Cheyney, Bitton, Bisley, Rodborough, Stroud, Bristol, and Castlecombe.
- Somerset and Dorset NOTES AND QUERIES FOR SOMERSET AND DORSET. Volume 11. 395pp, complete in 8 parts all in the original printed wraps. Sherborne: March 1908-December 1909. £15.00
* Includes articles:- Bayliffe of Castle Cary; Beaminster deeds; Lillington Manor; Mere registers; Swinnerton-Dyer family; Stawell Monuments, etc.
- Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries, editors G.W. Saunders and R.G. Bartelot NOTES AND QUERIES FOR SOMERSET AND DORSET Volume 21. 10 parts of 12 only. 10 parts in the original printed wraps, lacks parts CLXXXIII (183), and CLXXXV (185). Sherborne: March 1933 - December 1935. £9.00
* Includes articles:- Martock; Barry family; Anabaptists in Dorset; Blandford; Chard-Honiton Turnpikes; Maiden Castle Sports, etc.
- Southampton University College WESSEX An Annual Record of the Movement for a University of Wessex. Vol II No 1. Illusts, 106 + [viii] adverts., original printed wraps. Published by The Oxford University Press for University College, Southampton. 1931. £10.00
- St. John Thomas (David) WEST COUNTRY RAILWAY HISTORY. Volume 1. (Regional Railway History Series.) Plates, folding map, 313pp, original pictorial card covers, lower corners of covers slightly bruised. Sixth edition, David and Charles, Newton Abbot: 1988. £4.00
- Stoate (T.L), editor and publisher SURVEY OF WEST COUNTRY MANORS 1525. The Lands of Cecily Marchioness of Dorset Lady Harington and Bonville in Cornwall, Devon, Dorset, Somerset, Wiltshire. xxx + 163pp, small folio, original cloth covered in a loose plastic cover, neat inscription to front endpaper. Almondsbury: 1979. £40.00
- Stones (Samuel Henry) WHITTINGTON AND THE GLORIOUS REVOLUTION OF 1688. Illusts, adverts, 40pp, original printed wraps, staples rusty, top wrap loose, lacks portions from chipped spine. Sir W.C. Leng & Co., Sheffield: 1908. £12.00
- Thoyts (E.E) THE KEY TO THE FAMILY DEED CHEST. HOW TO DECIPHER AND STUDY OLD DOCUMENTS. Being a Guide to the Reading of Ancient Manuscripts. xv + 149pp, untrimmed in the original buckram, small portion torn from top corner of front endpaper, slight signs where small label removed from foot of front pastedown. London: Eliot Stock, 1903. £8.00
- Titford (John) THE TITFORD FAMILY 1547 - 1947. Pedigrees and plates, xxx + 239 + 2 page list of subscribers, dustwrapper. Phillimore, Chichester: 1989. £12.00
* Mainly concerned with the Titfords of Frome in Somerset and Bratton in Wiltshire.
- Trewin (J.C), editor THE WEST COUNTRY BOOK. Coloured plates, 222 + (2)pp, dustwrapper. Webb & Bower, Exeter: 1981. £8.00
- Trewin (J.C), editor WEST COUNTRY MAGAZINE. Volume 5. No 2. Plates, text illusts, pages numbered 87-156, original wraps. Westaway Books, Denham: Summer, 1950. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Thackeray at Liskeard; Speke of Ilminster; The Quantocks, etc. Contributors include:- C.C. Vyvyan, R. Glynn Grylls, Wendy Monk, etc.
- Vaughan (Adrian) GREAT WESTERN PORTRAIT: 1913-1921. Illusts, 59pp, oblong 4to, dustwrapper. Oxford Publishing Co., Headington: 1971. £10.00
- Verner (Coolie) MAP COLLECTORS' SERIES MAPS BY JOHN ARROWSMITH IN THE PUBLICATIONS OF THE ROYAL GEOGRAPHICAL SOCIETY. 35pp, original card covers. Map Collectors' Circle, London: 1971. £6.00
- Ward (C.S) and Baddeley (M.J.B) SOUTH DEVON (including W. Dorset Coast from Weymouth) AND SOUTH CORNWALL With a Full Description of Dartmoor and the Scilly Isles. Through Guide Series. With 10 maps and plans, many of which are folding, xvi + 224 + 64pp, sm 8vo, original cloth, lightly rubbed, spine slightly faded, few small spots to covers. Third Edition, Revised, London: Dulau and Co. 1889. £12.00
- Warnock (D.W) and Parsons (R.G) THE BRISTOL & NORTH SOMERSET RAILWAY SINCE 1884. Map, diagrams, illusts, 28pp, original card covers, stapled, few spots to top cover, lacks tape from spine. Avon-Anglia Publications, Bristol: 1979. £8.00
- Warren (A.S) A LIFE IN GLOUCESTER AND SOMERSET. With illustrations by his daughter Margaret Frewin. Textual illusts, 99pp, original card covers. Gloucester: Thornhill Press, 1973. £10.00
- Watkins (George) THE STEAM ENGINE IN INDUSTRY. Mining and the Metal Trade. Illusts, 128pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. Moorland Publishing, Ashbourne: 1994. £8.00
- West (John) TOWN RECORDS. Illusts, maps, xviii + 366pp, dustwrapper, ex-Bristol University labels to front endpapers, stamp to verso of title and foot of last leaf, slightly rubbed to to foot of dustwrapper. Phillimore, Chichester: 1983. £12.00
* 'Gives detailed advice about the materials available for the study of local history.'
- Westell (W. Percival) HISTORIC HERTFORDSHIRE. Folding map, plates, textual illusts, xiii + 198pp, original cloth, lightly rubbed at edges. Stephen Austin, Hertford: 1931. £15.00
- Whitaker (Harold) THE HAROLD WHITAKER COLLECTION OF COUNTY ATLASES, ROAD-BOOKS AND MAPS PRESENTED TO THE UNIVERSITY OF LEEDS. A Catalogue. Illusts, 143pp, original cloth, partly faded, and lightly rubbed to edges. Leeds: The Brotherton Library, 1947. £10.00
Back to the TopCopyright © Ambra Books - 2017. All rights reserved.
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :-
Tel:- ( 0117 ) 9076899
E-mail :- email@example.com
Bristol -- Bristol Clearance
Cornwall -- Cornwall Clearance
Devon -- Devon Clearance
Dorset -- Dorset Clearance
Gloucestershire -- Gloucestershire Clearance
Somerset -- Somerset Clearance
Wiltshire -- Wiltshire Clearance
General Local History -- General Clearance
GENERAL Local History :- Selection of items I wish to purchase
GENERAL Local History :- Selection of manuscripts, maps, ephemera etc. for sale from Lesley Aitchison.
AMBRA BOOKS Home page