WEST COUNTRY Clearance List 23-03
History, Topography and Genealogy
odds, sods, and a few others
Duplicates of some items.
20% DISCOUNT when 2 or 3 items purchased
30% DISCOUNT when 4 or 5 items purchased
50% DISCOUNT when 6 or more items purchased
Bristol -- Cornwall -- Devon -- Dorset -- Gloucestershire -- Somerset --
Wiltshire -- General (Includes a selection of other counties.)
This is a selection from my stock.
Please let me know if there are any other titles you are looking for.
Click on:- ORDERING details
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :- ( 0117 ) 9076899
Postage, packing and insurance are extra.
When ordering from this list please note item No., Author, and Title.
Payment can be made by either sterling cheque, or by bank transfer.
Prices are nett.
- Appleby (John B), Butcher (Edward W.A), Gailey (T.H.W), and others. THE PEOPLE'S CARRIAGE 1874 - 1974. The History of the Bristol Tramways Co. Ltd. Bristol Tramways & Carriage Co. Ltd. Bristol Omnibus Co. Ltd. Plates, maps, coloured frontis, 92pp. 4to, original pictorial laminated boards. Bristol Omnibus Co. Ltd., 1974. £12.00
- Arrowsmith Ltd, printers OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE CITY OF BRISTOL. 1939. Illusts, adverts, 127pp, roy 8vo, original printed card covers. J.W. Arrowsmith Ltd, Quay Street, Bristol: 1939. £8.00
- Arthur (William) THE SUCCESSFUL MERCHANT: Sketches of the Life of Mr Samuel Budgett, late of Kingswood Hill. Engraved portrait frontis, viii (ii) + 392pp, original cloth, frontis and page edges slightly spotty. Fifteenth edition, London: Hamilton, Adams and Co., 1857. £10.00
- Bantock (Anton), and Malago Society members BISHOPSWORTH, WITHYWOOD AND HARTCLIFFE. (Archive Photographs Series) Illusts, map, 128pp, original pictorial card covers. Chalford, Stroud: 1996. £12.00
- Beddow (Neil), Collard (Roy), and others HENGROVE'S HIDDEN HISTORY Historical sketches from Hengrove, Bristol. Illusts, map, 64pp, original pictorial card covers. ACTA Community Theatre, c.2002. £12.00
- Belsey (James) and Reid (Helen) WEST AT WAR. Victorian Photographs at Work 1850-1910. Illusts, 136pp, original decorative card covers. Redcliffe Press Ltd., Bristol: 1990. £8.00
- Bristol & Avon Family History Society BRISTOL MARRIAGES 1800-1837. Part One. All Saints; Christchurch; St. John the Baptist; St. Mary le Port; St. Nicholas; St. Stephen. Illusts, (266)pp, original printed card covers. Bristol & Avon Family History Society, 1980. £8.00
- Bristol Junior Chamber of Commerce and Shipping THE S.S. "GREAT BRITAIN" History and Return Salvage Operation. Illusts, 13pp, original decorative card covers, ink note to verso of top wrap. Bristol Junior Chamber of Commerce and Shipping, 1970. £10.00
- Buchanan (R.A) and Williams (M) BRUNEL'S BRISTOL. Illusts, 96pp, original pictorial card covers, ex-lib. with stamp to verso of title, inner hinge strengthened, ink note on front endpaper, small nick to top cover. Redcliffe Press Ltd., Bristol: 1982. £4.00
- Carter (Ruth M), minister - Introduction. STAPLETON METHODIST CHURCH 1886-1988 Illusts, 28pp, original pictorial card covers. Bristol: 1981. £4.00
- Cozens (Henry B) THE CHURCH OF THE VOW. A Record of Zion Congregational Church Bedminster, Bristol, 1830-1930. With 5 plates, and an illust in the text, 68pp, original cloth-backed boards, few old tape marks to covers. St. Stephens Press, Bristol 1930. £15.00
- Dresser (Madge), Humphries (Stephen), and others BRISTOL'S OTHER HISTORY. Illusts, 160pp, original pictorial card covers. Bristol Broadsides, Bristol: 1984. £7.00
* Includes articles:- Trade Unionism; Bristol Women; Bristol Socialist Society, etc.
- Fisher (Janet and Derek) and Ford (Mildred and Francis) BRISTOL ON OLD POSTCARDS. The city and suburbs in the early twentieth century. Illusts, some in colour, map, 64pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. Recollections of a Bygone Age, Keyworh: 1985. £6.00
- Fleming (D) "ST PHILIPS MARSH THROUGH THE CAMERA" "Memories of st Philips Marsh engine shed" Numerous illusts, with accompanying text, small folio, 46pp. original pictorial card covers. Signed by the author on the title-page. Privately Printed, Bristol: 1989. £10.00
- Greenacre (Francis) and Stoddard (Sheena) THE BRISTOL LANDSCAPE. The Watercolours of Samuel Jackson 1794-1869. Map endpapers, 77 coloured plates, 112pp, oblong 8vo, original decorative laminated boards. City of Bristol Museum and Art Gallery, 1986. £8.00
- Jenks (Stuart) ROBERT STURMY'S COMMERCIAL EXPEDITION TO THE MEDITERRANEAN (1457/8) With Editions of the Trial of the Genoeses before King and Council and of other sources. Folding frontis, (xii) + 191pp, dustwrapper. Volume 58, Bristol Record Society, 2006. £8.00
- Latimer (John) ANNALS OF BRISTOL In the Nineteenth Century (concluded) 1887-1900. 108pp, some damp marks to the original cloth. First edition, Bristol: William George's Sons. 1902. £22.00
- Leighton (Wilfrid) ENDOWED CHARITY IN BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE. 20pp, original wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society 1946-7-8. £4.00
- Mathews (Joseph) MATHEWS'S BRISTOL GUIDE; Being a Complete Ancient & Modern History of the City of Bristol, The Hotwells and Clifton.... Fifth Edition, Revised and Carefully Corrected to the present Time. Lacks plan, 231pp, untrimmed in later qtr cloth, paper boards, some staining to title-page, and foot of Preface. Bristol: Printed, Published and Sold by J. Mathews. (1819) £18.00
* No plan is called for in Hyett and Bazeley's Manual of Gloucestershire Literature.
- Matthews (W) THE NEW HISTORY, SURVEY AND DESCRIPTION OF THE CITY AND SUBURBS OF BRISTOL, OR COMPLETE GUIDE, 1794.... With.... Matthews's NEW BRISTOL DIRECTORY FOR THE YEAR, 1793-4. Containing an Alphabetical List of the Corporation, Clergy, Merchants, &c. &c. of the City of Bristol, with its Environs. To which are added Lists of the Mail Coaches, Waggons.... Portrait frontis, folding plan, 112 + 105pp, original cloth-backed boards, slightly rubbed to head and foot of spine, 2 ownership names to front endpapers. Facsimile Reprint. Bristol: (1898) £18.00
- Port of Bristol Authority THE PORT OF BRISTOL Avonmouth, Royal Portbury, Portishead. Handbook 1980. Illusts, adverts, coloured folding map at rear, 116pp, adverts, original pictorial card covers. Port of Bristol Authority, Bristol: 1980. £9.00
- Simmons (Mark) MARK MY WORDS Memories of a Bishopsworth Man. 25pp, small folio, original pictorial card covers. Malago Publications, Bristol: 1980. £12.00
- Sketchley. introduction by Bryan Little. SKETCHLEY'S BRISTOL DIRECTORY 1775. One plate, 11 + 126 + 2pp, dustwrapper. Originally published in 1775. Facsimile Reprint, Bath: Kingsmead, 1971. £6.00
- Wells (Charles), edited and illustrated by Reece Winstone. BRISTOL'S HISTORY. Volume Two. Illusts, 97-192pp, original laminated boards. First edition. Reece Winstone, Bristol: 1975. £5.00
- Whitchurch Local History Society, edited by Brian and Margaret Slade WHITCHURCH. More Memories. With illusts, maps, 55pp, stapled in the original printed card covers, plastic clip on spine. Whitchurch Local History Society, 1997. £15.00
- Winkles A DESCRIPTIVE ACCOUNT OF THE CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF BRISTOL. 5 engraved plates, 8pp, (pages numbered 121-128), later qtr calf, marbled boards, slightly rubbed, paper label on top board, plates foxed. (1841) £8.00
* Extracted from Winkles 'Architectural and Picturesque Illustrations of the Cathedral Churches of England.'
- Winstone (Reece) BRISTOL IN THE 1880'S. Over 200 Photographs, 64pp, roy 8vo, original pictorial laminated boards. Second Edition, Reece Winstone, Bristol: 1978. £8.00
A further selection of BRISTOL Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Abbey Series of Fine Art Guides ST. IVES. With Compliments of James Lanham, Ltd., Auctioneers and Estate Agents. Illusts, adverts, double-page plan, 24pp, sm 8vo, original pictorial wraps, paper tape repair to spine. Abbey Publicity Service, Croydon: c.1930. £4.00
- Barton (D.B) CORNISH ENGINE HOUSES Illusts, 32pp, original pictorial card covers. First edition, Tor Mark Press, Penryn: 1989. £4.00
- Beare (Thomas), transcribed and edited by J.A. Buckley. THE BAILIFF OF BLACKMOOR 1586. Thomas Beare. An examination of the history, laws and customs of medieval and sixteenth century tinners. Illusts, xx + 138pp, original pictorial card covers. Penhellick Publications, Camborne: 1994. £20.00
* The major bibliography of Cornish books. It contains not only details of books written on Cornwall, or by Cornish writers, but in some cases much information on the writers themselves. Volume 1 covers A - O; volume 2 covers P - Z. Volume 3, the Supplement, not present here, contains mainly an Addenda and Index.
- Brown (Kenneth) and Acton (Bob) EXPLORING CORNISH MINES. Volume 2, Seven Guided Tours - South & East Caradon, Wheal Busy, Kilifreth & Wheal Unity Wood, Carn Brea Mins & East Pool, Tincroft & Cook's Kitchen, The Grenvilles & Condurrows, Wheal Prosper & Wheal Trewavas, Ding Dong. Plates, plans diagrams, 192pp, original pictorial card covers. Reprinted with revisions and corrections, Landfall Publications, Truro: 2001. £8.00
- Bullen (L.J) MINING IN CORNWALL. Volume Five: The North Coast. Illusts, 128pp, original pictorial card covers. Reprinted, Tempus, Stroud: 2003. £6.00
- Campbell (Eunice) THE MAGIC SHUTTLE: The Story of Tom Early St Ives and After. Coloured and black and white illusts, 79pp, original pictorial card covers. Presentation inscription by the author to verso of top cover. Redcliffe Press, Bristol: 1994. £10.00
- Cornish Institute of Engineers, edited by G.J. Shrimpton TRANSACTIONS OF THE CORNISH INSTITUTE OF ENGINEERS New Series, Volume XX (1964-65) Textual diagrams, 21 cyclostyled pages, 4to, original wraps. Cornish Institute of Engineers, Camborne: 1965. £8.00
* Includes articles on Stithians Impounding Scheme; Mount Pleasant Ore, etc.
- Cornwall River Authority ANGLING GUIDE Cornwall River Authority. Double page map, illusts, adverts, 40pp, original printed card covers. Third edition, Cornwall River Authority, 1971. £4.00
- Cory (Percival T) DESCENDANTS OF PETER, RICHARD PETER, PETER & SON, PETER, PETER & SONS. Illusts, pedigree, 107pp, folio, original printed card covers, 2" mark to top cover affecting glossy surface. c.1988. £9.00
* Peter, Peter and Sons, were solicitors, in Launceston, from for many years. It lists the names of the staff, and partners from 1838 to 1988.
- Cresswell (B.F) BUDE AND ITS BORDERLAND. (Homeland Handbooks No 75) Folding map, illusts, adverts, xxlix + 80pp, original pictorial card covers, slightly rubbed to edges, date on top cover in ink. 15th edition, Homeland Association Ltd., London: c.1924. £8.00
- Crofts (Rev. C.B) ST. BURYAN. (Church) Illusts, 12pp, slightly spotty original printed card covers, small ink scribble to top cover. Lake & Lake, Falmouth: c.197- £4.00
* Mainly reprinted from Croft's earlier work with 2 paragraphs added, and a few updated amendments.
- Davey (James) A SET OF TABLES SHOWING THE DIFFERENCE OF THE STANDARD AT WHICH COPPER ORES OF VARIOUS PRODUCES USUALLY SELL IN CORNWALL, With the Price of Twenty-one cwts. Affixed. Second Edition with an Appendix. viii + 92pp, sm. 4to, original cloth, soiled and rubbed at edges, outer hinges partly split, portion of cloth torn from lower corner of top board, with the original paper label to top board, Cornwall Record Office stamp to front endpaper and class number to spine. Second Edition, Published and Sold by the Author, and by J. May, Printer, Redruth: 1845. £80.00
* With the bookplate of John Davies Enys.
- Douch (H.L) EAST WHEAL ROSE. The history of Cornwall's greatest lead mine. Plates, 84pp, small 8vo., original pictorial card covers. First edition, D. Bradford Barton, Truro: 1964. £7.00
- Dundrow (Michael & Margaret) and Jenkin (Ann) MADRON'S STORY. Illusts, 160pp, original pictorial card covers. Bossiney Books, Launceston: 2001. £5.00
- Enys (J.S) REMARKS ON THE INTENSITY AND QUANTITY OF THE JUNCTION CHANGES OF SUSSEX AND CORNWALL CONSIDERED AS MINING DISTRICTS. Folding plate, 33pp, original cloth, first leaf and plate slightly discoloured, ex-lib. with stamp to verso of title-page, label to front pastedown. London: Edward Stafford, 1863. £30.00
* Although the date is 1863 at the foot of title the Appendix has a date of 1869.
- Falmouth Tribute Fund Committee FALMOUTH TRIBUTE FUND RECORD 1939-1945. 63pp, 12mo, full leather lacks spine, small portions missing from leather adjacent to spine, text block loose in case. Printed by J.H. Lake & Co., Ltd., Falmouth: (1947) £16.00
* Gives the names of men and women who gave their lives during the war and whose next of kin received Token of Remembrance provided by the Fund, and the names and addresses of those who served and returned who benefited from the fund. Over 1500 people listed.
- Foot (Sarah) and Dryden (Peter) VIEWS OF OLD CORNWALL. Numerous illusts, 120pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers, few spots to title-page. Bossiney Books, St. Teath, Bodmin: 1981. £5.00
- Gibson (Frank) THE PARADISE ISLAND OF TRESCO. Coloured illusts, map, 20pp, original pictorial card covers. c.2002. £4.00
- Gilbert (C.S) AN HISTORICAL SURVEY OF THE COUNTY OF CORNWALL: to which is added a complete Heraldry of the Same.... Volume 1 of 2 only. With plates, portraits, and woodcuts, and 25 copper-engraved plates showing 500 coats of arms of Cornish families, lacks the Falmouth Harbour plate, with a plate of Tehidy, which does not appear in the 'Directions to Binder' which is found at the end of volume 2 but does appear occasionally in complete sets, viii + 71 + vi + (ii) 73-592pp, 4to, early diced calf boards rubbed, boards loose, lacks spine. London and Plymouth-Dock: Printed and Published by J. Congdon, 1817. £80.00
- Graham (Rigby) and Tew (David) DESERTED CORNISH TIN MINES.... With.... THE CORNISH SCENE. Two volume set. Coloured linocuts, prints, coloured lithographs, and photographs and black and white plates, c.78 pages in each volume. The 2 volumes contained in a slipcase, original decorative cloth to each volume and to slipcase. Each volume is limited to 200 numbered copies. Brewhouse Private Press, Melton Mowbray: 1975. £135.00
- Hall (A) WEST CORNWALL No 19. Geologists' Association Guides. Text maps, 39pp, original printed wraps, slightly creased where once folded. Geologists' Association, 1974. £4.00
- Halliday (F.E) A CORNISH CHRONICLE. The Carews of Antony from Armada to Civil War. Frontis, 171pp, dustwrapper slightly rubbed to edges. First edition, Newton Abbot: David & Charles, 1967. £6.00
- Hamilton Jenkin (A.K) NEWS FROM CORNWALL. With a memoir of William Jenkin. With 6 plates, xi + 202pp, portions chipped from edges of dustwrapper, few spots to title-page and fore-edges. First edition, London: Westaway Books, 1951. £25.00
* William Jenkin, of Redruth was an ancestor of Hamilton Jenkin and was a 'notable figure in the mining world of Cornwall.'
- Hatcher (John) RURAL ECONOMY AND SOCIETY IN THE DUCHY OF CORNWALL 1300-1500. With diagrams and tables, xiv + 322pp, dustwrapper. Cambridge at the University Press, 1970. £30.00
- Hawkey (Winifred) MEMOIRS OF A REDRUTH CHILDHOOD. Illusts, 122pp, original pictorial card covers. Dyllansow Truran, Redruth: 1987. £4.00
- Hawkridge (Christine) VERYAN AND THE ROSELAND. 51pp, original printed wraps partly faded, staples rusty. Privately published, Veryan: 1967. £12.00
- Hunkin (Joseph Wellington), ed. with intro. by Pett (Douglas Ellory) FROM A CORNISH BISHOP'S GARDEN. Illusts, 160pp, pictorial laminated boards. Alison Hodge, Penzance: 2001. £8.00
- Ingrey (Jack) ST MINVER Its Bay and Byways including Rock, Porthilly, Trebetherick, Polzeath, with Port Quin. Map, illusts, xv + 78pp, original pictorial card covers. Tabb House, Padstow: 1994. £8.00
- Jeffery (Henry M) ON THE UNION OF THE BENEFICES OF BUDOCK AND GLUVIAS. 4pp, original wraps, spine partly split, ink note to top and verso of cover. Reprinted from the Journal of the Royal Institution of Cornwall, 1889. £8.00
- Jmo (Steve) and Hevizi (Janeta) THE TRUE STORY OF BILBO The Surf Lifeguard Dog. Coloured illusts, 32pp, original pictorial card covers. First edition. Cornish Cove Publishing. 2008. £5.00
* Bilbo was based at Sennen Cove.
- Lambert (J.W) CORNWALL. With 8 pages of coloured maps, 159pp, sm 8vo, original pictorial paper covers, outer hinges partly rubbed. Revised edition, Penguin Books, Harmondsworth: 1947. £4.00
- Liskeard MINUTES OF EVIDENCE LISKEARD RETURN. Folio, disbound, 14pp. 1804. £18.00
- Lizard Local History Society THE LIZARD IN LANDEWEDNACK. A Village Story. Illusts, pedigree, 3 double-page maps, 128pp, original pictorial card covers, lower corner of rear cover creased. Lizard Local History Society, Litho Thermo Printers, Redruth: 1996. £12.00
- Maclean (Sir John) PAROCHIAL AND FAMILY HISTORY OF THE PARISH OF FORRABURY, AND MINSTER. With 2 tinted lithographs and 4 other plates, text illusts, pedigrees one of which is folding, viii + pages numbered 579-680 complete + 681-710 + 2pp (Addenda Corrigenda and Indices + Subscriber's List to volume 1.), 4to, original stiff card covers, later cloth spine. London: Nichols and Sons, Bodmin: Liddell and Son, 1873. £40.00
* Forming Part VI, of 'The Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor.'
- Monk (Wendy) JOHN GILL OF PENRYN. Illusts, 76pp, roy 8vo, few short tears and splits to dustwrapper, light spotting to prelims, presentation inscription to front endpaper. E.J. Rickard, Plymouth: (1971) £16.00
* Gill was a Quaker and pacifist, he founded the Penryn Advertiser and when he retired he toured round the country preaching non violence.
- Moore (Peter) and Lister (Martin) LISKEARD Town and About. Illusts, double-page plan, local adverts, 173pp, original pictorial card covers. First edition, Tamara Publications, Plymouth: 1988. £6.00
- Old Cornwall OLD CORNWALL MAGAZINE Volume 3. No 5. Illusts, pages numbered 177-220, complete, original card covers. Issued by Federation of Old Cornwall Societies. Summer 1939. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Trefrize and the Holy Well of All Hallows; Cornish Mining; etc.
- Opie (Stanley A) CORNISH TIN A Memorandum on some Possibilities of Increased Production of Tin.... 20pp, sm 8vo, original printed wraps partly faded. Published by the Author, York: 1942. £4.00
- Ordish (H.G) CORNISH ENGINE HOUSES A Pictorial Survey. Numerous illusts, 70pp, original pictorial card covers, lightly rubbed to edges. Truro: D. Bradford Barton, 1967. £5.00
- Penzance Natural History and Antiquarian Society REPORTS AND TRANSACTIONS 1881-82. Pages numbered 82-185, original printed wraps. Plymouth: William Brendon: 1882. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Cornish Folk-Lore; Wild Bees of the Land's End District; Garden Spiders, etc.
- Penzance Natural History and Antiquarian Society REPORTS AND TRANSACTIONS 1889-90. Pages numbered 104-190, original printed wraps. Plymouth: William Brendon: 1890. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Plants in Tresco Gardens; Journal in Cornwall in 1754; Flora of Guernsey, etc.
- Pickering (Isabel) SOME GOINGS ON! A selection of newspaper articles about Fowey, Polruan, and Lanteglos districts from 1800-1899. 309pp, original pictorial card covers. Isabel Pickering, Fowey: 1995. £10.00
- Radford (Maisie and Evelyn), foreword by Frank Howes. MUSICAL ADVENTURES IN CORNWALL. 103pp, short tear to dustwrapper. David & Charles, Dawlish: 1965. £12.00
- Rawe (Donald R) A PROSPECT of CORNWALL. Illusts, 222pp, dustwrapper. First Edition, Robert Hale, London: 1986. £6.00
- Reynolds (P.K. Baillie) CHYSAUSTER Cornwall. 12pp, ex-lib. a couple of stamps to top wraps. London: H.M.S.O. 1960. £4.00
- Robbins (Richard) VOICE FROM THE PAST A Liberal Manuscript. xvipp, original decorative card covers. Liberal Publications Dept., London: (1959) £15.00
* Richard Robbins was born in 1817 and died in 1910. Employed as a boy on a Launceston newspaper. He went on to become a Town Councillor in Lauceston, where he campainged against the landed gentry and in favour of building a railway. One of his sons wrote a history of Launceston.
- Rowse (A.L) SIR RICHARD GRENVILLE of the Revenge. An Elizabethan Hero. With 9 plates, 365pp, original cloth, dustwrapper. Second impression of the First edition, London: Jonathan Cape, 1937. £18.00
- Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society. FIFTY-SEVENTH ANNUAL REPORT. of the Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society. 1889. Original printed wraps, few textual illusts, portions missing from head and foot of spine. Falmouth: Lake & Co., Truro: Heard & Sons, 1889. £12.00
* Includes articles:- Falmouth as a Health Resort; Perranzabuloe Mining District; Glasney College Penryn, etc.
- Royal Institution of Cornwall JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL INSTITUTION OF CORNWALL With the Fifty-Seventh Annual Report. No 16. October, 1874. Illusts and tables, xxix + pages numbered 144 + xipp, original wraps, slightly faded, portions chipped from spine, small institution stamp, and curious note in ink, to top wrap. Truro: James R. Netherton, 1875. £16.00
* Includes articles:- Nangitha Cross; Tokens of Cornwall; List of Works of Geology, etc.
- Royal Institution of Cornwall, Radford (Charles Ralegh) JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL INSTITUTION OF CORNWALL. New Series Volume 1. Appendix 1951. REPORT ON THE EXCAVATIONS AT CASTLE DORE. Illusts, 119pp, lacks wraps. Truro: Oscar Blackford, 1951. £16.00
- [Sandys (William)] TRANSACTIONS OF THE LOGGERVILLE LITERARY SOCIETY. Frontis, textual illusts, 168pp, original cloth, a.e.g., inner hinges almost broken. Printed for Private Circulation. 1867. £35.00
* Includes chapters on a Tour in Cornwall and on Giants of Cornwall. See Boase and Courtney's Bibliotheca Cornubiensis, vol 2, page 624.
- Spalding (Adam), and others THE CONSERVATION VALUE OF ABANDONED PITS AND QUARRIES IN CORNWALL. Plan, illusts, some in colour, 105pp, original metal spiral binding, pictorial card covers. The Historic Environment Service, Truro: 1999. £8.00
- St Ives BOROUGH OF ST. IVES St. Ives, Carbis Bay and Lelant. Illusts, including folding panorama, adverts, 124pp, 12mo, original pictorial card covers. St. Ives Publicity and Advertising Association, St. Ives: 1957. £5.00
- St. Madron and Morvah PARISH MAGAZINE. 48 issues, each year consists of 286pp, original wraps bound in at rear, bound with the Bovey Tracey magazine for September 1896. Binders cloth, few short snags to head and foot of spine, inner hinges cracked though sound, occasional foxing. January 1897 - December 1900. £40.00
* Most of the articles are of general interest, the wrappers containing most of the local information.
- St. Mary, Truro, transcribed and edited by Miss Susan E. Gay, Mrs Howard Fox, Miss Stella Fox and H. Stapley-Soper. THE REGISTER OF BAPTISMS, MARRIAGES AND BURIALS OF THE PARISH OF ST. MARY, TRURO, A.D. 1597 to 1837. 2 volumes, xix + 358 (lacking pages 1-16, 33-48 and 81-96) and 359 - 748pp, loose, unbound, and partly unopened as issued, half title dusty, and with portion torn from lower edge, and portion missing from top edge. The Devon and Cornwall Record Society, Exeter: 1940. £50.00
- Stengelhofen (John) WHEAL MARTYN MUSEUM. Guide to the China-Clay Museum with Historical Notes. Illusts, plans, diagrams, 24pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Revised and enlarged, St. Austell China Clay Museum, 1976. £4.00
- Taylor (Thomas) THE CELTIC CHRISTIANITY OF CORNWALL. Divers Sketches & Studies. Map, xvi + 184pp, original cloth, short split to foot of rear outer hinge, small mark to top cover, lacks front endpaper, ex-lib. with stamp and numbers in ink to verso of title-page, foxing to prelims a few pages at rear and fore-edges. London: Longmans, Green and Co. 1916. £15.00
* Includes chapters on:- St. Michael's Mount; Cornish Hermits; Cornish Saints, etc.
- Tremewan (Tom) A BUILDER'S LIFE IN PERRANPORTH. Illusts, 128pp, dustwrapper slightly rubbed to top edge, corner cut from front endpaper. Oscar Blackford, Truro: 1974. £12.00
* This was his second work following on from 'Cornish Youth' and covers the period 1918 - 1938.
- Trevithick Society THE TREVITHICK SOCIETY NEWSLETTER. No 37. May 1982. Illusts, 8pp, sm folio, stapled. 1982. £4.00
* Includes articles on Cornish Engines at Stonecroft and Settlingstones; Boiler Explosion at East Uny, etc.
- Walling (R.A.J) SOME CORNISH CHARACTERISTICS. 21pp, original wraps, ex-lib. stamp to verso of top wrap. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Plymouth Institution, 1909. £4.00
- Ward, Lock and Co., publishers GUIDE TO FOWEY St. Austell, Looe, Truro, Truro, Falmouth and South Cornwall. Special Section for Motorists. With 7 maps and plans, illusts, 160pp, sm 8vo, original cloth boards, front inner hinge cracked though sound. Fourteenth Edition, Ward, Lock & Co., London: n.d. c.1957. £4.00
- Ward, Lock and Co. publishers GUIDE TO SOUTH CORNWALL Including Falmouth, The Lizard, Truro, St. Austell, Fowey, Looe,Bodmin, etc. A Special Section for Motorists. With 10 maps and plans, illusts, 8 pages of adverts + 168 + xii pages of adverts, sm 8vo, original cloth boards, short tear to two maps. Thirteenth Edition, Ward, Lock & Co., London: n.d. c.1950. £4.00
- Watkiss (Reg) LOST CORNWALL With black and white photographs, 160pp, 4to, dustwrapper. First edition, Halsgrove, Tiverton: 2004. £6.00
- West Looe REPORT ON THE BOROUGH OF WEST LOOE. Title + pages numbered 538-542, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound, pages loose. House of Commons, London: 1835. £10.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Whybrow (Marion) ST IVES 1883-1993. Portrait of an Art Colony. Illusts, 236pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. Antique Collectors Club, Woodbridge: 1994. £11.00
- Williams (Michael) HAWKER'S MORWENSTOW. With black and white photographs and illusts, 64pp, original pictorial card covers. First edition, Bossiney Books, St. Teath: 1988. £4.00
- Williams (Michael) UNKNOWN CORNWALL. With black and white photographs and illusts, 104pp, original pictorial card covers. Ownership name and date on title-page. First edition, Bossiney Books, St. Teath: 1984. £4.00
- Williams (Michael), editor MY CORNWALL. With black and white photographs, 135 + (5)pp, original pictorial card covers, edges lightly rubbed, page edges slightly browned. First edition, Bossiney Books, St. Teath: 1988. £4.00
* Extracts from the writings of:- Daphne du Maurier, Jack Clemo; C.C. Vyvyan, Derek Tangye, etc.
- Woodall (Frank D) STEAM ENGINES AND WATERWHEELS A Pictorial Study of Some Early Mining Machines. Illusts, 96pp, roy 8vo, slight fading to cloth at head of boards, lacks dustwrapper. First edition, Moorland Publish, Buxton: 1975. £9.00
* Includes a chapter on Cornish Engines in Cornwall and a chapter on these engines outside of Cornwall.
A further selection of CORNISH Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Bartholomew (Ch), Incumbent of S. David, Exeter CHURCH PRINCIPLES THE REAL ANTAGONISM TO ROMANISM. A Sermon Preached in The Cathedral Church of S. Peter, Exeter, Thursday, April 24, 1851. At the Visitation of the Lord Bishop. And Published at his Request. 19pp, disbound. London & H.J. Wallis, Exeter: 1851. £10.00
- Bearman (Robert), editor CHARTERS OF THE REDVERS FAMILY AND THE EARLDOM OF DEVON 1090-1217. Frontis, sketch maps, xvi + 227pp, original pictorial card covers. Devon & Cornwall Record Society New Series, Volume 37. Torquay: 1994. £12.00
- Boundy (Wyndham S) BUSHELL AND HARMAN OF LUNDY. Illusts, map, 95pp, 12mo, lacks dustwrapper, first few leaves slightly creased. First edition, Grenville, Bideford: 1961. £8.00
- Bowden (Tom) AROUND PLYMOUTH. Britain in Old Photographs. Illusts, 126pp, pictorial card covers. Sutton Publishing Ltd., Stroud: 1996. £6.00
- Bray (Mrs) THE TALBA. An Historical Romance. Frontis, 272pp, few marks to the original cloth. New and Revised Edition. London: Chapman and Hall, 1884. £12.00
* Historical novel set in Portugal. Mrs Anna Eliza Bray was the wife of Edward Bray, the vicar of Tavistock.
- Brockett (Allan), editor THE EXETER ASSEMBLY The Minutes of the Assemblies of the United Brethren of Devon and Cornwall, 1691-171, as Transcribed by the Reverend Isaac Gilling. Frontis, xvi + 157pp, original card covers, covers partly faded and slightly spotty, crease to lower corner of top cover, front endpaper spotty. Devon and Cornwall Record Society New Series, Volume 6. Torquay: 1963. £12.00
- Brushfield (T.N) PRESIDENT'S ADDRESS. 134pp, original printed wraps, wraps loose and slightly ragged. First edition, Reprinted from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association... 1893. £25.00
* Signed presentation inscription by the author on the top wrap. His address is on the 'Literature of Devon'. Brushfield went on to reprint it privately in the same year.
- Burnard (Robert) DARTMOOR PICTORIAL RECORDS. Consisting of Sixteen Illustrations from Negatives by the Author, Reproduced in permanent form by the Autotype Company; With textual Plans, Woodcuts, and Descriptive Letterpress. Volume 2 only of 4 volumes. Illusts, 60pp, original qtr roan, spine rubbed, lacking approx. 1" at foot of spine, and missing 'D' and 'A' from title. LIMITED TO 200 COPIES. Signed and Numbered by Burnard and the printers. Privately Printed. W. Brendon & Son, George Street, Plymouth: 1891. £30.00
- Bush (Robin) THE BOOK OF EXMOUTH. Numerous illusts, cr 4to, 148pp, partly faded dustwrapper. Numbered Limited Edition. Includes 2 page list of subscribers. Buckingham: Barracuda Books, 1978. £20.00
* Signed by the author on title-page.
- Capern (Edward), Rural Postman of Bideford POEMS. xi + 188 + ivpp, original, partly faded, embossed cloth, slightly rubbed to head and foot of spine, slightly shaken, signs where name, and address, erased from front pastedown. Third Edition, London: W. Kent and Co., 1859. £15.00
- Chapman (Stanley D), editor THE DEVON CLOTH INDUSTRY IN THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY Sun Fire Office Inventories of Merchants' and Manufacturers' Property, 1726 - 1770. xxvi + 159pp, original card covers. Devon & Cornwall Record Society New Series, Volume 23. Torquay: 1978. £12.00
- Clayden (Arthur W) THE HISTORY OF DEVONSHIRE SCENERY. An Essay In Geographical Evolution. With 43 plates, 202pp, disbound. First edition, Exeter: James G. Commin. London: Chatto and Windus, 1906. £4.00 --- See sample text
- Cornish (Rev. S.W) SHORT NOTES ON THE CHURCH AND PARISH OF OTTERY ST. MARY, Devon. New Edition, Revised. 70pp, original printed card boards, slightly dusty, spine faded. New Edition, Exeter: Henry S. Eland, and Ottery St. Mary: R. Walsingham, c.1929. £10.00
- Cornish (Rev. S.W) SHORT NOTES ON THE CHURCH AND PARISH OF OTTERY ST. MARY, Devon. New Edition, Revised. 70pp, original printed paper boards, partly faded. New Edition, Exeter: Eland Bros, and R.J. Manley, Ottery St. Mary: c.1929. £5.00
- Cossins (James) REMINISCENCES OF EXETER FIFTY YEARS SINCE. Illusts, viii + 80pp, 12mo, a.e.g. few marks to the original decorative cloth, covers rubbed to edges, inner hinges partly broken, top outer hinge partly split, light spotting to prelims. First edition, Printed for the Author, William Pollard, Exeter: 1877. £4.00
- Cresswell (Beatrix F) NOTES ON THE CHURCHES OF THE DEANERY OF KENN, Devon. Illusts, 192pp, disbound. First edition, Exeter: James G. Commin. 1912. £16.00 --- See sample text
- Curtis (J. Sydney) DEVONSHIRE: Historical & Pictorial. A Complete Story of Devon from the Earliest Times, together with Views and Reviews of All Places of Interest, and a Concise Gazetteer.... Illustrated with about 200 Photogravures. 189 + (iii) + viii pages of adverts, folio, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges. First edition, Topographical Publishing Co. Southampton: (1896) £20.00
- Daniell (William) A VOYAGE ROUND GREAT BRITAIN Plymouth & surroundings. 16 black and white photos of the original engravings, pages numbered 25-39, roy 8vo, cloth boards, compliments slip of the Plymouth City Librarian pasted to front endpaper, a bookplate with the date '1965' pasted to front pastedown. c.1970. £12.00
* 'This work was published in 1814-1825 of which the following pages 25-39 have been photocopied from volume 8, which deals with the city of Plymouth and its immediate surroundings at that time.'
- Daw (John) REMINISCENCES OF SIR JOHN DAW covering the period 1866-1957. Illusts, 84pp, original cloth boards, bookplate, and contemporary presentation inscription to front endpaper. Printed for Private Circulation. 1957. £15.00
- Devon Notes and Queries DEVON NOTES AND QUERIES. Volume 2. From January 1902 to October 1903. Part I Miscellaneous. Illusts, [vi] + 268pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, fore-edges spotty. Exeter: James G. Commin, 1903. £30.00
* Includes articles:- Monmouth Rebellion; Honeychurch; Dartmoor; Haydon Family; Carew and Pole Letters; Prisoners of War at Ashburton; Arms in Silverton Church, etc.
- Devon Notes and Queries DEVON NOTES AND QUERIES. Volume 5. Part 3, July 1908. With 2 plates, pages numbered 73-104.... Bound with.... Appendix. Cresswell (Beatrix) EXETER CHURCHES. With 6 plates, pages numbered 145-176, original printed wraps. Exeter: James G. Commin, 1908. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Early English Bosses; Colyton Marriages in Exeter Cathedral; Ancient Records in Kingsbridge Church, etc.
- Devonshire Association REPORT AND TRANSACTIONS OF THE DEVONSHIRE ASSOCIATION.... Paignton, 1968. Volume 100. Illusts, xxvii + 410pp, original printed wraps. Devonshire Press, Torquay: 1968. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Devonshire Farmhouses; Monumental Brasses in Devon; Braunton Marshes; Excavation of the South Hams; Reaves on Dartmoor, etc.
- Devonshire Association REPORT AND TRANSACTIONS OF THE DEVONSHIRE ASSOCIATION.... Sidmouth, 1975. Volume 107. Illusts, xxxi + 230pp, original wraps, spine slightly faded, institution stamp to top cover and half-title. Devonshire Press, Torquay: 1975. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Holy and Notable Wells of Devon (VII); Church House, Dartington; Last Bible Christians; Stream Channel Morphology, etc.
- Doveton (F.B) DELIGHTFUL DEVON Being Ten Sketches of Rambles, Fishing, and Otherwise, in Devon. (Reprinted in part from 'A Fisherman's Fancies'). 64pp, original card covers, spine slightly worn at foot. Elliot Stock, London: 1896. £20.00
- Drake (Frederick) THE ANCIENT STAINED GLASS OF EXETER CATHEDRAL. With 4 plates, pages numbered 321-327, 4to, disbound, pages loose. Extracted from the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society Transactions, 1879. £8.00
- Evans (Rachel) HOME SCENES, OR TAVISTOCK AND ITS VICINITY. Illustrated with mounted photo frontis. and 7 steel engraved vignette views, viii + 176pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed and damp marked, internally clean, short worm trail affecting letter 't' of 'Corrected' on title-page, inner hinges pulled and weak. Second Edition Revised and Corrected. Tavistock: T.W. Greenfield. 1875. £26.00
- Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society TRANSACTIONS OF THE EXETER DIOCESAN ARCHITECTURAL SOCIETY. Third Series, Volume 4. Part 3. [ Being vol. 15 of the whole Transactions. ] Illusts, one of which is folding, xv + 113-194pp, lacks spine and lower wrap, top wrap loose and slightly ragged. Exeter: William Pollard, 1937. £8.00
* Includes :- Wall Paintings in Exeter Cathedral; Cloisters of Exeter Cathedral; Windows of St. Neot's Cornwall.
- Gray (Todd) EXETER UNVEILED. 270 Unknown Images of the City's Past. Coloured and black and white illusts, 135pp, 4to, dustwrapper. The Mint Press, Exeter: 2003. £12.00
* Signed by the author on the title-page.
- Harvey (Hazel) EXETER PAST. Map endpapers, illusts, 116pp, 4to, dustwrapper. Phillimore, Chichester: 1996. £5.00
- Henry (Lord Bishop of Exeter) A SERMON PREACHED IN THE CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF EXETER on Thursday the 24th of August, 1837, at the Consecration of the New Cemetery by Henry, Lord Bishop of Exeter, and Published at the Request of the Mayor, The Commissioners of Improvement, and the Clergy of Exeter. 23pp, disbound. Exeter: Printed by Woolmer & Co., Gazette Office; 1837. £12.00
* Contemporary inscription on half-title.
- Hutchings (W.J) OUT OF THE BLUE History of the Devon Constabulary. Illusts, xii + 204pp, original printed card covers, lacks portions from head and foot of spine, not affecting title. Privately printed, Forward dated 1956. £8.00
- Jubb (Ian) EXETER COLLECTION. 48 illusts, with descriptive text, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Ian Jubb, Exeter: 1993. £4.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORIES OF EXMOUTH 1972-73. Adverts, iv + A4 + 218pp, original card covers. Seventh edition, Kelly's Directories, Kingston upon Thames, 1972. £20.00
- Markland (J.H) SOME REMARKS ON THE NUMEROUS SMALL APERTURES IN THE CEILING OF THE CHURCH OF S. MARY, OTTERY. Pages numbered 60-68, 4to, disbound. Extracted from the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society Transactions, 1850. £5.00
- Newton (Robert) EIGHTEENTH CENTURY EXETER. With 7 plates, xiii + 192pp, spine of dustwrapper slightly faded. University of Exeter: 1984. £10.00
- Oliver (The Rev. George) DIG(NATORIES) OF EXON CATH(EDRAL). Appendix only. Extracted from Oliver's The History of Exeter, 1821. xxxivpp, interleaved with blanks, 12mo, early cloth, leather label, titled as above, cloth damp spotty, occasional foxing and light damp marks, lower portion of first leaf cut away, some ink 'corrections' and marginalia to text, notes in ink to several of the blanks. With the signatures of Edward Windeatt, and Wm Harding to front endpaper, presumably one or both of them contributed to the ink notes. Printed by R. Cullum, Exeter: 1821. £12.00
- Parry (H. Lloyd) THE HISTORY OF THE EXETER GUILDHALL AND THE LIFE WITHIN. With 12 plates, 174pp, untrimmed in the original cloth. Printed for the Exeter City Council, by John Townsend, Exeter: 1936. £8.00
- [Phillpotts (Henry)] A PASTORAL LETTER to the Clergy of the Diocese of Exeter on the Present State of the Church. By Henry, Lord Bishop of Exeter. 126pp, original wraps, couple of short tears to head and foot of spine. London: John Murray, 1851. £16.00
- Plymtree, transcribed and edited by The Venerable Edgar Hay. THE REGISTER OF BAPTISMS, MARRIAGES AND BURIALS OF THE PARISH OF PLYMTREE, A.D. 1538 to 1837. With 5 illusts, xix + 188pp, lack pages xv to xix from Preface, untrimmed, partly unopened, in recent cloth. Exeter: The Devon and Cornwall Record Society, 1940. £40.00
- Prideaux (E.K) and Shafto (G.R. Holt) BOSSES AND CORBELS OF EXETER CATHEDRAL. An Illustrated Study in Decorative & Symbolic Design. Illusts, lacks plan, 228pp, disbound. London: Chatto and Windus, Exeter: James G. Commin, 1910. £6.00
- Prideaux (Edith K) THE FIGURE SCULPTURE OF THE WEST FRONT OF EXETER CATHEDRAL CHURCH. A Complete Photographic Record with Notes. 23 plates, 38pp, original cloth, partly faded. Exeter: James G. Commin, 1912. £26.00
- Radford (Cecily and Raleigh), editor FIFTH, SEVENTH, EIGHTH, TWELFTH, FOURTEENTH, FIFTEENTH, SIXTEENTH, & SEVENTEENTH REPORT OF THE ANCIENT MONUMENTS COMMITTEE. 8 Reports. All in the original printed wraps, ex-lib. with a stamp and label to verso of top wrap of a few parts. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 1926-1938. £4.00
- Reichel (Rev. Oswald) THE HUNDREDS OF BRAUNTON, SHIRWELL AND FREMINGTON IN EARLY TIMES. The Devonshire Association. Extra Volume. 136pp, original wraps, spine slightly rubbed to head and foot, rear outer hinge partly split, private library labels to covers. Torquay: The Devonshire Press. 1935. £10.00
- Roberts (Stephen K) RECOVERY AND RESTORATION IN AN ENGLISH COUNTY: Devon Local Administration 1646 - 1670. Textual maps, 232pp, dustwrapper. University of Exeter: 1985. £8.00
- Snell (Lawrence S) THE CHANTRY CERTIFICATES FOR DEVON AND THE CITY OF EXETER. Documents Towards a History of the Reformation in Devon. Frontis., 98pp, original cloth. Exeter: James Townsend and Sons, (1960) £17.00
- Snetzler (Marjorie F), editor DEVON EXTRACTS 1665-1850. Volume 1, Part 2, L-Z. Pages numbered 100-158 + (6) page index, typescript, folio, plastic comb binding, laminated card covers. Devon Family History Society, 1987. £12.00
* These extracts are taken from the London Gazette. Contains much on the various vessels sailing in and out of Plymouth.
- Stewart (Robert) HANDBOOK OF THE TORQUAY FLORA; Comprising the Flowering Plants and Ferns Growing In and Around Torquay. With Their Respective Habitats. iv + 187pp, sm 8vo, original embossed cloth, cloth split across spine, outer hinges partly split to head and foot of spine, otherwise sound. Torquay & London: 1860. £24.00
- Stone (Avril), (nee Barthram) THE BOOK OF BARNSTAPLE Volume 2. From Coronation to Millenium. Illusts, 160pp, 4to, dustwrapper. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 2003. £20.00
- Strong (H.W) INDUSTRIES OF NORTH DEVON. A Reprint with an Introduction and Notes by B.D. Hughes. xxxvi + [viii] + 224pp, dustwrapper. First published 1889. Reprinted, Newton Abbot: David and Charles, 1971. £15.00
- Torquay Pottery SCANDY. THE TORQUAY POTTERY COLLECTORS' SOCIETY Magazines a run from April 1989 - Winter 2002. 51 issues in total, each issue is illustrated and contains between 28 and 48 pages. The issue for January 1993 is a photocopy. This run lacks:- April 1994, October 1998, May and August 1998, February 1999, Summer and Autumn 2002. April 1989 - Winter 2002. £25.00
- Walters (W), editor TWISS AND SONS' ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO ILFRACOMBE AND NORTH DEVON. Special Chapters by well-known Local Authorities. Illusts, with a folding map and a folding plan, 191 + 10 pages of adverts, sq 12mo, original cloth, titled on top board. Twiss and Sons, Ilfracombe: c.1892. £20.00
* There is no list of the number of plans this work should contain. This copy has 'One Shilling Nett' on top board. We have encountered other copies which have identical text, and have 'Two Shilling Nett' on the top board, and which contain 2 more plans.
- Warner (Rev. H.J) A HISTORY OF YEALMPTON. (Devonshire) With 3 of 4 plates, 93pp, few spots to the original cloth, rubbed to edges, outer hinges partly split, few horizontal splits to spine, shaken. Includes 2 Yealmpton engravings to the endpapers at the rear, as well as manuscript transcriptions from the Yealmpton parish registers, along with other notes, concerning the Alger family to the endpapers, and 3 pages concerning the family in the 'Taxation Returns in Public Record Office 1524 to 1674'. Plymouth: Western Morning News. 1907. £22.00
- Watkin (Hugh R) DARTMOUTH. Volume 1. Pre-Reformation. (Parochial Histories of Devonshire No 5). Illusts, large folding map, xvi + 498pp, With SUPPLEMENT map, scale 1/1250, folded and tipped in at the rear, original printed card covers, slight crease to top cover. Devonshire Association. 1935. £15.00
- White (Reginald G.C) "THE HISTORY OF THE FEOFFEES OF COLYTON" 1546-1946. Illusts., including a coloured plate showing coats of arms of prominent local families, 49pp, original cloth, few spots to endpapers. Lyme Regis Printing Co., 1951. £26.00
- Willis (Browne) NOTITIA PARLIAMENTARIA: of the Counties, Cities and Boroughs in England and Wales..... DEVON section only. Pages numbered 237-386, complete, with a copy of the title page from the original volume, recent cloth, paper label on the spine. London: Printed for Robert Gosling, 1716. £22.00
- [Wolcot (John)] THE ROYAL VISIT TO EXETER; A Poetical Epistle, By John Ploughshare, A farmer of Moreton Hampstead in the County of Devon. Published by Peter Pindar, Esq. 4to, 32pp, some numbers cropped at top margin, later half roan, cloth boards, some spotting to cloth. London: Printed for J. Walker, 1795. £85.00
- Wollocombe (John B) TETCOTT HUNT WEEK. Antecedents and Consequences. With Fifteen Illustrations, 74pp, original cloth, partly faded, lightly rubbed to edges. London: Skeffington & Son, 1895. £38.00
- Wright (W.H.K) PLEASANTRIES FROM THE "BLUE BOX" Being a Selection of Papers "From grave to gay, from lively to severe" by YE BROTHERS BLUE. xvii + 292 + 2 page list of subscribers, original cloth, damp marked to top corner of boards, internally sound. London: Elliot Stock, and Plymouth: W.F. Westcott, 1881. £16.00
A further selection of DEVON Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Bournemouth Natural Science Society BOURNEMOUTH NATURAL SCIENCE PROCEEDINGS Volume 52. Session 1961-62. Double page illust, 47pp, original paper wraps. Published by the Society, Bournemouth: 1959. £4.00
- Draper (Jo), photographs by David Bailey DORSET BARNS. Numerous coloured photographs, 144pp, oblong 4to, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. The Dovecote Press, Stanbridge, Wimborne: 2010. £18.00
- Drew (Lt.Col C.D) and Collingwood Selby (K.C) THE EXCAVATIONS AT COLLITON PARK, DORCHESTER, 1937-38. First Interim Report. Plates, 2 folding plans, 14pp, original printed wrappers partly faded. Reprinted from the Proceedings of the Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, 1938. £6.00
- Gibb (J.H.P) THE BOOK OF SHERBORNE. Numerous illusts, 144pp, cr. 4to, dustwrapper. Numbered Limited Edition. Includes 3 page list of subscribers. Buckingham: Barracuda Books Ltd. 1981. £20.00
- Hawkins (Tim) DORSET Photographers' Britain. Map, illusts, ix + 142pp, original pictorial card covers, private ownership label to verso of top cover. Alan Sutton, Stroud: 1991. £5.00
- Irvine (Peter) VICTORIAN AND EDWARDIAN DORSET from Old Photographs. With 143 illusts, roy 8vo, original pictorial card covers. B.T. Batsford, London: 1977. £4.00
- Masters and Boys of Sherborne School A GUIDE TO THE NEIGHBOURHOOD OF SHERBORNE AND YEOVIL. With 8 plates and a folding map in pocket at rear, (8) pages of adverts, xi + (1) + 125 + (8) pages of adverts, original cloth, 12mo, few small spots to cloth. Sherborne School Archaeological Society, Sherborne: 1925. £8.00
- Mee (A), editor DORSET. Thomas Hardy's Country. With double-page map, plates, x + 359pp, lacks dustwrapper, cover partly faded, front inner hinge slightly pulled, inscriptions to front endpapers. Reprinted, Hodder and Stoughton, London: 1945. £4.00
- Victoria County History, edited by R.B.Pugh VICTORIA HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Volume 3. With Index to Volume 2. With a frontis and double-page map, 189pp, small folio, slightly spotty dustwrapper, few small marks to endpapers. Oxford University Press, 1968. £26.00
* Mainly concerned with the Dorset Domesday and Geld Rolls.
A further selection of DORSET Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Bigland (Ralph) ASCHURCH. Extracted from Bigland's Historical, Monumental and Genealogical Collections Relative to Gloucestershire. 4pp, folio, recent paper wraps. First edition, London: Printed by John Nichols for Ralph Bigland, 1791. £4.00
- Bigland (Ralph) BATSFORD AND BAUNTON AND BECKFORD. Extracted from Bigland's Historical, Monumental and Genealogical Collections Relative to Gloucestershire. 10pp, folio, recent paper wraps. First edition, London: Printed by John Nichols for Ralph Bigland, 1791. £6.00
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, edited by A.T. Martin TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1895,96. Volume 20. Part 2 of 2. Illusts, II + 139-393pp, original printed wraps. Bristol: Printed for the Society by J.W. Arrowsmith, 1896. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Church Bells of Gloucester; Brimpsfield Castle and its Owners; Ancient Mining Tools found in the Forest of Dean, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, compiled by Roland Austin TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY - GENERAL INDEX to Volumes 51-60 (1930-1939). With separate index to illustrations.... 160 + 32pp, original printed wraps. Gloucester: Printed for the Society by H. Osborne, 1942. £8.00
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1956. Volume 75. Illusts, 2 folding pedigrees, 232pp, original wraps. Gloucester: Printed for the Society by John Bellows, 1958. £10.00
* Includes articles:- Prestbury Moat; Prisoners of War in Stapleton Jail; Ralph Bigland and His Family; Kingswood Abbey; Sir John Cheyne of Beckford, etc.
- Elliott (C.H.B) WINTERBOURNE Gloucestershire. Illusts, folding plan, 122 + iiipp, dustwrapper, ownership inscription to front endpaper. First published 1936. Bath: Kingsmead Reprints, 1970. £18.00
- Gethyn-Jones (Rev. J.E) DYMOCK. The Ann Cam School, Gloucestershire. Illusts, 12pp, original pictorial wraps. Albert E. Smith, Gloucester: 1965. £4.00
- Gloucestershire Parish Registers, edited by W.P.W. Phillimore GLOUCESTERSHIRE PARISH REGISTERS. MARRIAGES. Volume 8. vi + (i) + 161pp, original buckram, slightly rubbed to edges. LIMITED TO 150 COPIES. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore and Co., 1902. £30.00
* Marriages celebrated in each Parish from the first entry up to the year 1812. Contains the Parishes of Painswick, Kingscote and Cam.
- Greene (Kevin T) THE ROMANO-CELTIC HEAD FROM THE BON MARCHE SITE, GLOUCESTER: A Reappraisal. Plates, pages numbered 338-345pp, complete, name to top of original printed card covers. Reprinted from The Antiquaries Journal, 1975. £4.00
- Gregory (Alfred) ROBERT RAIKES: Journalist and Philanthropist. A History of the Origin of Sunday Schools. Frontis and vignette title, 209 + 8 pages of publishers adverts, sm, 8vo, original cloth, lightly rubbed and with a few small marks, private library label to front pastedown, relevant news cuttings pasted to rear endpapers, inner hinges weak. First edition, London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1877. £24.00
- Harte (G.W), and others HANDBOOK BAPTIST SUNDAY SCHOOL CENTENARY, TEWKESBURY, GRAND COSTUME BAZAAR. To be held in the George Watson Memorial Hall, on Wednesday and Thursday, May 4th and 5th, 1910. Illusts, 20pp, original printed paper wraps, staples rusty. Printed by Gardner's, Tewkesbury: 1910. £4.00
- Heighway (Carolyn) DEERHURST ST. MARY AND GLOUCESTER ST. OSWALD TWO ANGLO-SAXON MINSTERS. Illusts, 8pp, original pictorial card covers. Revised and reprinted, The Friends of Deerhurst Church, 2001. £4.00
- Hubner (Dr.) GLOUCESTER, The Roman Glevum. Map, 2 coloured plates, 13pp, original printed wraps, wraps slightly soiled with a few short tears, 2 holes to inner margins where item placed at one time in a ring binder, occasional foxing. From the Transactions of the Cotteswold Club, John Bellows, c187- £4.00
- Hyett (Francis A) GLOUCESTERSHIRE IN NATIONAL HISTORY. With a folding frontis, and 9 other plates, 282pp, original cloth, partly faded. Third edition, John Bellows, Gloucester: 1924. £15.00
- Masse (H.J.L.J) THE CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF GLOUCESTER A Description of its Fabric and a Brief Description of the Episcopal See. Bell's Cathedral Series. Illusts, double-page plan, 132 + (1)pp, 12mo, some splash stains to the original decorative cloth, lightly rubbed to edges. G. and Sons, London: 1910. £4.00
- [Moreau (Simeon)] A TOUR TO CHELTENHAM SPA; or Gloucestershire Display'd. Containing An Account of Cheltenham, its Mineral Waters, Amusements, Public Walks, Environs, &c. the Natural History of the County of Gloucester, the City of Gloucester, and the Towns of Cirencester, Tetbury, Tewkesbury, Fairford, &c. with a Correct Itinerary from Cheltenham, and a new and easy Mode of knowing The Hours for Passing the Severn at Aust and the New Passages.... Lacks half-title and title page, 174pp + Addenda leaf, 12mo, early half calf, rubbed, spine chipped, boards loose, text block in 2 halves. First edition. Bath: Printed for the Author by R. Cruttwell. 1783. £16.00
- Nicholls (H.G) FOREST OF DEAN.... AND IRON MAKING IN THE OLDEN TIMES. New edition with introduction by Dr Cyril Hart. Illusts., folding map, xii + 286 and 92 + (6)pp, dustwrapper, couple of school stamps to endpapers. Originally published in 1858 and 1866. Reprinted David and Charles, Dawlish: 1966. £20.00
- Painter (K.S) THE SEVERN BASIN. Regional Archaeologies. Illusts, sm. 4to, 72pp, original pictorial covers, very lightly rubbed to edges. Cory, Adams & Mackay, London: 1964. £4.00
- Peake (David, Susanna, & Edward) & Thomas (Graham) SEZINCOTE HOUSE. Near Moreton-in-Marsh. Coloured and black and white illusts, 17pp, original pictorial card covers. c.2012. £4.00
- Pigot's PIGOT'S DIRECTORY OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE 1830. Lacks map, pages numbered 304-399 complete, 2 leaves loose, disbound. London: J. Pigot & Co., 1830. £20.00
- Powell (Geoffrey) THE BOOK OF CAMPDEN. History in Stone. Numerous illusts, cr 4to, 120pp, lacks dustwrapper. This copy seems to have been used to advise the printers on a new edition, note taped to front endpaper, subscribers list, information on verso of title-page and illust on half title scored through with pencil, Barracuda Books, Buckingham: 1982. £6.00
- Richards (Roger C) THE AGRICULTURAL LABOURER, ENGLAND. REPORT BY MR. ROGER C. RICHARDS (ASSISTANT COMMISSIONER), UPON THE POOR LAW UNION OF CIRENCESTER, (Gloucestershire.) Title + 11pp, pages numbered 51-61, complete, small folio, later paper covers, with paper label on top cover. Houses of Parliament, London: 1893. £18.00
* Extract from British Parliamentary papers. A detailed report on the conditions, wages, housing, hours worked of Gloucestershire agricultural workers.
- Rudge (Rev. Thomas) THE HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF GLOUCESTER, compressed and brought down to the Year 1803. Volume 1 of 2 only. With folding map, plate, 402 + cxx, untrimmed in early qtr cloth paper boards, book block in 2 halves. Gloucester: Printed for the Author, by G.F. Harris, 1803. £20.00
- Thomas (Alan), Holbrook (Neil) and Bateman (Clifford), and others LATER PREHISTORIC AND ROMANO-BRITISH BURIAL SETTLEMENT AT HUCCLECOTE, GLOUCESTERSHIRE EXCAVATIONS IN ADVANCE OF THE GLOUCESTER BUSINESS PARK LINK ROAD, 1998. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Report No 2. Plans, diagrams, ii + 74pp, original printed wraps. Cotswold Archaeological Trust, 2003. £4.00
- Walcott (Mackenzie E.C) MEMORIALS OF GLOUCESTER. 56pp. disbound. E. Nest, Printer, Westgate Street, Gloucester: 1867. £18.00
A further selection of GLOUCESTERSHIRE Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Batten (John) HISTORICAL AND TOPOGRAPHICAL COLLECTIONS RELATING TO THE EARLY HISTORY OF PARTS OF SOUTH SOMERSET, viz Barwick, Chilton Cantelo, Sutton Bingham, East Coker, Brympton, Houndston, Preston, Limington, with Notices of West Coker, and Hardington Mandeville. With plates, iii + 200pp, untrimmed in the original bevelled cloth, slightly rubbed, lettering on spine feint, title slightly browned. Whitby and Son, Yeovil: and Simpkin Marshall, London: 1894. £25.00
- Bell (Rev. A.H) & (Rev. R. Corrin) SOME ACCOUNT OF THE PARISH OF YEOVILTON in Somerset. Two plates, 21pp, page loose in the original printed wraps. Western Gazetter & Co., 1949. £4.00
- Black (Clementina) THE LINLEYS OF BATH. With an introduction by George Saintsbury. With 13 plates, 300pp, original cloth, lightly rubbed spine slightly faded. New Edition (revised and reset) London: Martin Secker. 1926. £8.00
- Britton (John), and Peach (R.E.M) THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF BATH ABBEY CHURCH. Continued to the Present Time, with Additional Notes by R.E.M. Peach. With Six Illustrations. xix + 107pp, original cloth, gilt, frontis partly waterstained, slight spotting to title-page, lightly rubbed to corners and to top outer hinge. Charles Hallett, Bath: 1887. £32.00
- Brooke (Leslie) THE BOOK OF YEOVIL. A Portrait of the Town. Numerous illusts, cr 4to, 148pp, partly faded dustwrapper. Includes 2 page list of subscribers. Signed by the author on the title-page. Barracuda Books Limited, Chesham: 1978. £15.00
- Brown (Martyn) SOMERSET RURAL LIFE MUSEUM. Illusts, map, 20pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Somerset Rural Life Museum, Glastonbury: 1982. £4.00
- Bulleid (Arthur) THE LAKE VILLAGES OF SOMERSET Somerset Folk Series No 16. Plates some of which are folding, textual diagrams, 79pp, 12mo, original printed wraps, titled in manuscript on spine. Fourth edition, Glastonbury Antiquarian Society, Yeovil: 1949. £4.00
- Connely (Willard) BEAU NASH Monarch of Bath and Tunbridge Wells. With 13 plates, 184pp, a few small portions missing mainly to head and foot of dustwrapper as well as a few short tears, inscription to front pastedown. First edition. London: Werner Laurie. 1955. £4.00
- Corner (Dennis) THE NEW BOOK OF PORLOCK. Past and Present. Numerous illusts, 160pp, 4to, dustwrapper. Halsgrove, Wellington: 2014. £20.00
- Cox (Jeff) WEST SOMERSET IN THE NEWS. The best stories - the personalities and events - from 150 years of the West Somerset Free Press. Illusts, 160pp, dustwrapper. Rylands, Wellington: 2010. £18.00
- Danks (Warwick), editor CLAVERTON PUMPING STATION (A Definitive Study) Illusts, 67pp, original cloth with the original pictorial card covers pasted down. Twenty five copies bound as a special edition. Kennet and Avon Canal Trust, Devizes: (1984) £10.00
- Findlay (D.C) THE SOILS OF THE MENDIP DISTRICT OF SOMERSET. [Sheets 279 and 280]. Plates, textual figures, 2 coloured folding maps in pocket at the rear, viii + 204pp, head and foot of spine slightly rubbed of partly faded dustwrapper, some spotting to fore-edges and to d.w., bookplate to front pastedown. Agricultural Research Council, Harpenden: 1965. £8.00
- George (W),and (R), printer SOMERSET. COPY OF THE COMMISSION OF THE PEACE. Dated the 7th of October, 1864. Acting Justices are distinguished by asterisks prefixed to their names. 47pp, original cloth, top outer and front inner hinge partly split, some slight spotting. W. and R. George, Wells: 1864. £22.00
* The major bibliography of the county and an invaluable reference work. These 2 volumes contain books on the county only. Volume 1 is devoted to Bath.
- Green (Emanuel) PEDES FINIUM. Commonly Called Feet of Fines For the County of Somerset. Richard I to Edward I. A.D. 1196 to A.D. 1307. xxv + 397 + 41 page index, later cloth. Somerset Record Society Volume 6. Printed for Subscribers Only. 1892. £22.00
- Greenwood (Charles) WALKING IN BATH. Illusts, 64pp, sm 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Kingsmead Press, Bath: 1978. £4.00
- H.M.S.O. CENSUS 1971. ENGLAND AND WALES, COUNTY REPORTS. Somerset. Preliminary Report and parts 1, 2, 3 and Advance Analysis. 4 volumes, 45 and 74 and 126 and 88 and 19pp, small folio, all have original wraps. H.M.S.O. London: 1972 and 1973. £22.00
- Hancock (Frederick) THE PARISH OF SELWORTHY in the County of Somerset. Some notes on its History. With 9 plates, 6 pedigrees, 5 of which are folding, x + 308pp, original cloth, covers damp spotted, spine faded. LIMITED EDITION OF 200 COPIES. Taunton: Barnicott and Pearce, 1897. £70.00
- Handley (Chris) RADSTOCK COAL & STEAM. The Somerset & Dorset at Radstock and Writhlington. Volume 1: History, and Volume 2: Buildings, Locomotives and Workings. Numerous illusts, diagrams, 2 volumes, 160pp and 160pp, dustwrappers, bookplate to front pastedowns. Millstream Books. Bath: 1991 and 1992. £28.00
- Harding and Curtis, Ltd. printer and publisher GUIDE THROUGH AND ROUND BATH Illusts, folding plan, xxxviii + 178 + 28 pages of adverts, original printed cloth covered card covers, foot of top outer hinge split.. Eleventh Edition, Bath: Printed and Published by Harding & Curtis, Ltd. c1903. £10.00
- Hugo (Thomas) HISTORY OF MYNCHIN BUCKLAND PRIORY AND PRECEPTORY, In the County of Somerset. With 4 plates, 112pp, roy 8vo, original qtr roan, paper boards slightly rubbed, occasional foxing. Taunton: F. May, 1861. £35.00
- Jeboult (Edward) A GENERAL ACCOUNT OF WEST SOMERSET. Description of the Valley of the Tone & the History of the Town of Taunton. Illustrated by a New process of Photography and Heliotype. Illusts, [iv] + 132 + [ii] + 121 + 94pp, 4to, original cloth, slightly darkened to toward edges of boards, edges of boards slightly rubbed, later calf spine, usual occasional foxing. First edition. Somerset and Bristol Steam-Press, Taunton: 1873. £32.00
- Jones (Sally) MYSTERIES IN THE SOMERSET LANDSCAPE. Illusts, 96pp, large oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Bossiney Books, Bodmin: 1986. £4.00
- Joyce (Walter W), editor MOORSIDE TALES AND TALK. Illusts, 254 + 2 pages of publishers adverts, original cloth, spine of dustwrapper is faded with short tears and with small portions missing from head and foot. First edition, George Allen & Unwin, London: 1935. £16.00
* Exmoor interest.
- Leach (Peter), and others ILCHESTER Volume 1. Excavations 1974-5. Numerous diagrams and plans, 290pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. Western Archaeological Trust, 1982. £18.00
- Lilford (Russell) and Croft (Robert) PROTECTING THE HISTORIC AND ARCHITECTURAL HERITAGE OF SOMERSET. Illusts, 31pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. County and District Councils of Somerset, 1989. £4.00
- MacMillan (A.S) SOMERSET EPITAPHS Second Series. "How" and "When" Death Came. Somerset Folk Series No 25. Frontis, xi + 181pp, 12mo, original cloth. London: Folk Press, 1926. £16.00
* Signed presentation inscription by the author on the front endpaper.
- Malden (R.H) THE STORY OF WELLS CATHEDRAL. Illusts, 80pp, 12mo, few spots to the original cloth, lacks dustwrapper. Fifth edition, Raphael Tuck & Sons, London: 1955. £4.00
- Mee (Arthur) SOMERSET New photographs by A.F. Kersting Plates, double-page map, 308pp, couple of short teears to dustwrapper. New and Revised Edition, Hodder and Stoughton, London: 1969. £6.00
- Michael (W) HISTORICAL ASSOCIATIONS OF THE WELLS CATHEDRAL. Engraving, 8pp, sm 8vo, original printed top wrap, lacks lower wrap, light spotting. W. Michael, Bookseller. &c. Westbury Wilts. c.1870. £8.00
- Moss (C.E) GEOGRAPHICAL DISTRIBUTION OF VEGETATION IN SOMERSET: Bath and Bridgwater District. Illusts, large coloured folding map, 71pp, later cloth, short tape repair to verso of map, few small marks to covers. London: The Royal Geographical Society, 1907 £20.00
- Norman (George) TRANSACTIONS OF SOMERSET MASTERS LODGE, No 3746. 1927. With 6 illusts, 209pp, original wraps. Bath: (1927) £10.00
* Includes chapters on William Stukeley and George Oliver.
- Phelps (Rev. W) HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF SOMERSETSHIRE; being a General and Parochial Survey of that interesting County, to which is prefixed an Historical Introduction, with a Brief View of Ecclesiastical History; and an Account of the Druidical, Belgic-British, Roman, Saxon, Danish, and Norman Antiquities. Volume 2 only, map, plan, 4 plates, lacks 3 plates, 272pp, 4to, disbound. Printed for the Author. London: J.B. Nicholls, 1836. £50.00
* Four volumes were projected but only the first two were published. This volume contains the Hundred of Wells-Forum (Wells, Wookey, Dinder, etc.) and Hundred of Whitstone (Shepton Mallet, Croscombe, Pilton, Ditcheat, etc.)
- Phelps (Rev. W) HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF SOMERSETSHIRE; being a General and Parochial Survey of that interesting County, to which is prefixed an Historical Introduction, with a Brief View of Ecclesiastical History; and an Account of the Druidical, Belgic-British, Roman, Saxon, Danish, and Norman Antiquities. Volume 1 only. With 2 maps, 13 plates, and several woodcuts in the text, vii + 599 + errata and list of plates, 4to, disbound, binding broken and text in 2 parts, title and prelims loose, spotting to a few plates. Printed for the Author. London: J.B. Nicholls, 1836. £60.00
* Four volumes were projected but only the first two were published. This volume includes:- Hundred of Norton Ferrers (Pen-Selwood, Wincanton, Kilmington, etc); Hundred of Bruton (Brewham, Milton Clevedon, Pitcombe, Yarlington, etc.) Hundred of Horethorne (Milborne Port, Horsington, Trent, etc.); Hundred of Catsash (Castle-Cary, North and South Cadbury, Babcary, Alford, etc.); Hundred of Glastonbury (Meare, West Pennard, etc.)
- Poole (Sharon) WESTON-SUPER-MARE. The Archive Photographs Series. Numerous illusts, 128pp, original pictorial card covers. Chalford Publishing Company, Stroud: 1997. £6.00
- Rahtz (Philip) & Watts (Lorna) GLASTONBURY. Myth and Archaeology. Colour plates, plans, diagrams, 191pp, original pictorial card covers. Tempus, Stroud: 1993. £8.00
- Read (John) CLUSTER=o'=VIVE Stories and Studies of Old World Wessex. Somerset Folk Series No 11. Frontis, xi + 207 + (5)pp, 12mo, original cloth, signed presentation inscription by the author on the front endpaper. London: Somerset Folk Press, 1923. £12.00
- Shickle (Rev. C.W) ANCIENT DEEDS BELONGING TO THE CORPORATION OF BATH XII - XVI Cent. Translated and Epitomised by The Rev. C.W. Shickle M.A., F.S.A., V.D. Master of St. John's Hospital, Bath. Honorary Chaplain of the Territorial Forces. Frontis, 2 plans, xvi + 165pp, folio, original qtr calf, buckram boards, ex-lib. with label to front pastedown and a few small stamps. Published by the Bath Record Society in co-operation with the Bath City Council. 1921. £20.00
- Sitwell (Edith) BATH. With 16 plates, 288pp, original cloth, spine slightly faded, lacks dustwrapper. Fifth impression, London: Faber and Faber, 1947. £4.00
- Smith (E.H) QUANTOCK LIFE AND RAMBLES. Illusts., map e.p.'s. 145pp, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper. Third Impression (Enlarged). Taunton: 1944. £5.00
- Somersetshire Archaeological Society SOMERSETSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY. Volume 2. Proceedings during the year 1851. Coloured folding plan, illusts, 2 of which are folding, viii + 127 + (16) + 8 + vipp, stitching strained, paper chipped on spine, frontis and top wrap loose. Frederick May, Taunton: 1852. £22.00
* Includes articles:- Somersetshire Reptiles; Perpendicular Architecture of Somerset; Holwell Cavern; Worle Camp, etc.
- Somersetshire Archaeological Society PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOMERSETSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY. Volume 26. At its thirty-fourth Annual Meeting, held at Chard, 1882, under the Presidency of Charles I. Elton. With 7 plates, Illusts, 68pp, 4to, original qtr cloth paper boards, covers rubbed, lacking small portions of boards from edges, occasional light foxing. Printed by J.F. Hammond, Taunton: 1881. £22.00
* Includes articles:- Manor Court House; Family of Frye; Whitestaunton Manor House; Wayford Church and Manor House, etc.
- Somersetshire Archaeological Society SOMERSETSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY Volume 55. Proceedings during the year 1909. Illusts, x + 113 + 218pp, original wraps, top wrap loose and ragged, few short tears to lower wrap. Taunton: Barnicott and Pearce, 1910. £14.00
* Includes articles:- Gold Tore found at Yeovil; Court Leet of Taunton, Glastonbury Abbey, Excavations at Charterhouse-on-Mendip; Wells, etc.
- Somersetshire Archaeological Society PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOMERSET ARCHAEOLOGY AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY Volume 141. Proceedings for 1997. Illusts, 239pp, original wraps. Taunton Castle: 1998. £8.00
* Includes articles:- French Emigres at Bath; Somerset County M.P.'s 1832-1885; Leigh Court, Thomas Hopper and Pythouse; Bishop's Palace at Wookey; Ilchester Archaeology; Two Lions at Milborne Port, etc.
- Somersetshire Archaeological Society PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOMERSET ARCHAEOLOGY AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY Volume 151. Proceedings for 2007. Black and white illusts, 303pp, original pictorial card covers. Taunton Castle: 2008. £8.00
* Includes:- Woolston Manor Farm, North Cadbury; Excavation at Whitegate Farm, Bleadon; Fosse Way and other Roman roads around Bath; West Somerset woollen trade; Civil War defences at Friarn Meadows, Bridgwater, etc.
- Somerset Year Book, edited by Douglas Macmillan SOMERSET YEAR BOOK. 1930. No XXIX (29). Illusts, adverts, 130pp, original printed wraps, short split to top outer hinge. Folk Press Limited, London: 1930. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Bicknoller and the Quantock Hills; Frome and its Fringes; Kilmersdon; Witchery of Somerset; Monmouth Rebellion;, etc.
- Taunton Markets THE TAUNTON TOWN AND MARKET ACTS. Printed by Order of the Trustees from the Original Acts. xi + (iii) + 75pp, original qtr cloth, printed paper boards, front inner hinge weak, few spots to boards. Taunton: Edwin Goodman, Printer, 29 North Street. 1878. £35.00
* Reprints the four Acts of Parliament relating to Taunton Markets which were originally published in 1786, 1817, 1833 and 1840.
- Thomas (Margaret) A HERO OF THE WORKSHOP AND A SOMERSETSHIRE WORTHY. CHARLES SUMMERS, SCULPTOR, The Story of his Struggles & Triumph. Without the frontis, 48pp, cr. 8vo, original cloth, front inner hinge cracked though sound, lightly rubbed to edges. Hamilton Adams & Co., Weston-super-Mare c.1880. £12.00
* Summers was a sculptor. One of his major works was the Burke and Wills Monuments in Melbourne, Australia.
- Trivett (Keith) PRELUDE TO WAR: the Somerset Coalfield in 1939. Illusts, 22pp, original pictorial card covers. Radstock, Midsomer Norton and District Museum, 2009. £6.00
- Victoria History, edited by William Page THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET. Volume One. Maps, plates, textual illustrations, xxv + 537pp, 4to, original cloth, spine slightly faded. First edition, Archibald Constable, London: 1906. £60.00
* Includes chapters on Natural History; Botany; Zoology; Early Man; Roman-British Somerset; And Anglo-Saxon Somerset.
- Victoria History, edited by William Page THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET. Volume One. Maps, plates, textual illustrations, xxv + 537pp, 4to, original cloth, rubbed, slightly chipped to head and foot of spine, some marks to top board, inner hinges pulled, Bristol University labels to front endpapers, inner hinges pulled, crude tape repairs to one inner margin of prelim and last leaf. First edition, Archibald Constable, London: 1906. £20.00
* Includes chapters on Natural History; Botany; Zoology; Early Man; Roman-British Somerset; And Anglo-Saxon Somerset.
- Warburton (William), Bishop of Gloucester A SERMON PREACHED AT THE ABBEY CHURCH AT BATH, for promoting the Charity and subscription towards the GENERAL HOSPITAL, or Infirmary in that City, on Sunday, October 24th, 1742. To which is added A Short account of the General Infirmary at Bath. 39pp, sm.8vo., 39pp, lacks all before 'Dedication' to Ralph Allen, which is followed by 2 pages setting out Benefactions and Disbursements for the hospital, the Sermon on pages 1-24, Short Account... of the General Hospital on pages 28-28, Subscribers, giving names and sums on pages 29-39. The verso of page 39 is blank. The listing on Copac states that there are a further 5 unnumbered pages after page 39. Disbound, some stitching broken. Printed for J. Leake at Bath and sold by J. & P. Knapton, London: 1742. £25.00
- Warfield (D.A) A LIVELY PEOPLE The Story of a Village Methodist Society. Plates, 175pp, partly waterstained dustwrapper chipped to top edge and protected with loose plastic sleeve. London and Paulton: Purnell and Sons, 1960. £18.00
* Paulton interest.
- Wickenden (H.J) THE HISTORY OF TAUNTON. Illusts, 186pp, original cloth. E. Goodman, Taunton: 1938. £14.00
- Wilson and Phillips, publisher WHO'S WHO IN SOMERSET. 232pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, short splits to outer hinges, otherwise sound. Numbered Limited Edition. With the signature, to the front endpaper, of Henry T. Daniel, of The Manor House, Stockland, Bridgwater, whose details are listed in the work. Wilson & Phillips, Hereford: 1934. £20.00
- Winstone (Reece) BATH AS IT WAS. With over 200 illusts, 76pp, roy 8vo, original pictorial laminated boards. Signed by the author on the front endpaper. First edition, Reece Winstone, Bristol: 1980. £12.00
A further selection of SOMERSET Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Annable (F.K) and Simpson (D.D.A) GUIDE CATALOGUE OF THE NEOLITHIC AND BRONZE AGE COLLECTIONS IN DEVIZES MUSEUM. With a foreword by Professor Stuart Piggott. Plates, textual illusts, 133pp, roy 8vo, original cloth. Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, Devizes: 1964. £10.00
- Aubrey (John) AUBREY'S NATURAL HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. A Reprint. Introduced by K.G. Ponting. (ix) + xii + 132pp, roy 8vo, couple of cellotape repairs to slightly rubbed dustwrapper, which is now protected with a transparent cover. Originally published 1847. David and Charles Reprints. 1969. £12.00
- Baxter (Philip) SARUM USE. The development of a medieval code of liturgy and customs. Illusts, 94pp, original pictorial card covers. Sarum Script, Salisbury: 1994. £9.00
- Blackmore Museum SOME ACCOUNT OF THE BLACKMORE MUSEUM. Part II only. Plan, textual illusts, pages numbered 105-238pp, original printed wraps, lacks spine, portion torn from lower corner of top wrap, rear wrap loose, creased and ragged. H.F. and E. Bull, Devizes: (1868) £4.00
- Bracey (H.E) SOCIAL PROVISION IN RURAL WILTSHIRE. Frontis, tables, maps, 2 of which are coloured, diagrams, 204pp, dustwrapper. Methuen and Co., London: 1952. £10.00
- City of New Sarum BYELAWS MADE BY THE MAYOR, ALDERMEN AND CITIZENS OF THE CITY OF NEW SARUM For the Good Rule and Government of the city under the Powers of Section 23 of the Municipal Corporations Act, 1882. 8pp, original wraps slightly chipped, short tear to margin of all leaves. Salisbury: Bennett Brothers, Printers, 1882. £4.00
- Devizes Charities RETURN AND DIGEST OF ENDOWED CHARITIES.... PARISHES OF ST. JOHN AND ST. MARY, DEVIZES. Folio, 97pp, stitched as issued, few spots to outer leaves. Ordered by The House of Commons, to be Printed 11 August 1904. £18.00
- Edwards (Kathleen) SALISBURY CATHEDRAL An Ecclesiastical History. Illusts, small folio, original pictorial card covers. Reprinted from Victoria History of Wiltshire, Wiltshire County Council, Trowbridge: 1986. £6.00
- Fry (George S) and (E.W) ABSTRACTS OF WILTSHIRE INQUISITIONES POST MORTEM, Returned into the Court of Chancery in the Reign of King Charles the First. vii + 304pp, lacks pages 305-501pp, early cloth, marbled endpapers. London: British Record Society. 1893. £12.00
- Gillman's GILLMAN'S DEVIZES PUBLIC REGISTER and Business Directory, for 1897. Thirty-Ninth Year of Publication. 189pp, includes numerous adverts, 12mo, portion torn from first advert leaf, lacks wraps. G. Gillman, Devizes: 1896. £12.00
- Grose (Donald) THE FLORA OF WILTSHIRE. Maps and plates, iv + 824pp, original cloth, front inner hinges pulled and weak, front endpaper and half-title loose, old glue stain to front inner margin, signs where labels removed from endpapers. Devizes: Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, 1957. £16.00
- Hudson (Stan) A HILL TOP TOWN. Fact and Legend. Map and 6 plates, 156pp, original cloth. Reprinted Stan Hudson, Malmesbury: 1978. £8.00
* A history of Malmesbury.
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF WILTSHIRE 1935. Lacks map, 31 (adverts) + xx + 437pp, original cloth, spine faded, rubbed to edges, short tear to front endpaper. London: Kelly's Directories Ltd, 1935. £30.00
- Lane Poole (E.H) DAMERHAM AND MARTIN. A Study in Local History. Chapter Heading Decorations by Philip Freeman Sayer. (viii) + 230pp, map endpapers, few short tear and small portion missing from head of dustwrapper. First edition, Tisbury: Compton Russell. 1976. £8.00
- Marlborough College REPORT OF THE MARLBOROUGH COLLEGE NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY For the Year ending Christmas, 1930, No 79, 80, 83 and 84, 1935. Illusts, 133 + 81 + 126 + 93pp, 4 numbers in binders cloth. Loosely inserted is a letter to a Mr Grose from the society, 2 sides of 8vo sheet. Cambridge University Press, 1931 - 1936. £14.00
- Pitt (F.C) THE PARISH CHURCH OF ST. JAMES TROWBRIDGE. A Brief Historical and Descriptive Guide. Plates, plan, 31pp, original printed wraps. B. Lansdown and Sons, 1932. £4.00
- Religious Tract Soc. JOSEPH ALLEINE Vignette title, 24pp, 12mo, signed 'Catherine Mary Pugh, Devizes, 1869.' on title-page. Religious Tract Society, London: c.1869. £15.00
* Seventeenth century clergyman born in Devizes.
- Shortt (Hugh), editor CITY OF SALISBURY. Plates, double-page map, textual illusts, 143pp, lacks dustwrapper. First edition, Phoenix House, London: 1957. £5.00
- Slack (Paul), editor POVERTY IN EARLY-STUART SALISBURY. viii + 183pp, original cloth partly faded. Impression of 450 Copies. Wiltshire Records Branch Volume 31, Devizes: 1975. £10.00
- Tunnicliff (W) TOPOGRAPHICAL SURVEY OF THE COUNTIES OF.... the WILTSHIRE section. With 7 engraved pages of coats of arms, double-page distance table, lacks the map, pages numbered 51-89, disbound with the text and plates in 2 separate sections. Salisbury: Printed for the Author by B.C. Collins, 1791. £18.00
* Includes:- 'Travelling Index to the Great Roads in Wiltshire', and a list of the 'Principal Nobility and Gentry in the County of Wiltshire.'
- Victoria County History, edited by Pugh (R.B) and Crittall (Elizabeth) THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 7. Plates and illusts, xix + [ii, corrigenda] + 241pp, small folio, original cloth, ex-BBC library with a stamp to title-page and stamps to front endpaper, label to top cover, otherwise a good copy. First edition. Oxford University Press. 1953. £15.00
* Covers the Hundreds of Bradford, Melksham, Potterne and Cannings.
- Westbury Charities RETURN AND DIGEST OF ENDOWED CHARITIES... PARISH OF WESTBURY (including the Parish formerly the Tything of Bratton, and the Parish formerly the Chapelry of Dilton). Folio, 55pp, stitched as issued, top sheet and last leaf slightly ragged, 3 " tear to lower sheet, 1" tear to top sheet. Ordered by The House of Commons, to be Printed 28 March 1904. £10.00
- Wiltshire Parish Registers, edited by W.P.W. Phillimore and John Sadler. WILTSHIRE PARISH REGISTERS. MARRIAGES. Volume 12. vi + [ii] + 147pp, original cloth. LIMITED TO 150 COPIES. London: Phillimore & Co Ltd. 1912. £20.00
* With the armorial bookplate of William Gundry. Marriages celebrated in each Parish from the first entry up to the year 1812. Contains the Parishes of Bratton, Fuggleston with Bemerton, Boyton, Sherrington, Latton, Collingbourne Ducis.
- Wiltshire Parish Registers, edited by Thos. M. Blagg WILTSHIRE PARISH REGISTERS. MARRIAGES. Volume 14. vii + 131pp, original cloth, covers partly damp stained, slightly affecting pastedowns, internally sound. LIMITED TO 150 COPIES. London: Phillimore & Co. Ltd. 1914. £20.00
* Celebrated in the Parish from the first entry up to the year 1837. Contains the Parishes of Salisbury St. Edmund (concluded) and Stratford-sub-Castle.
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE. Volume 36. No CXI. Plates and plans some of which are folding, 181pp, original printed wraps, portions chipped from spine, top margins slightly damp crinkled. Devizes: C.H. Woodward, 1909. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Mollusca of Wiltshire; Saxon Boundaries of Downton; Celtic fines near Oare, etc.
- Wiltshire Family History Society WILTSHIRE FAMILY HISTORY SOCIETY Nos 1, 2 and 4-12 inclusive. 11 issues in all. Original printed wraps. Spring 1981 - Winter 1983. £12.00
- Woodborough PARTICULARS, PLAN & CONDITIONS OF SALE of the Freehold Residential Property known as 'Banksyde'.... for Sale by Auction.... 18th day of October, 1945. 12pp., oblong large 8vo, small plan. Attractive drawing of house and garden on front wrap. 1945. £14.00
A further selection of WILTSHIRE Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Addyman (P.V) EXCAVATIONS IN YORK, 1972-1973. First Interim Report. Plates, illusts in the text, pages numbered 200-231, complete, original paper wraps, stapled, short tear to top wrap. Reprinted from The Antiquaries Journal, London: 1975. £5.00
- Bettey (J.H) RURAL LIFE IN WESSEX 1500 - 1900. Plates, 151pp, dustwrapper. First edition, Bradford on Avon: Moonraker Press, 1977. £7.00
- Bettey (Joseph), editor ARCHIVES & LOCAL HISTORY ON BRISTOL & GLOUCESTERSHIRE. Essays in Honour of David Smith. Maps, diagrams, illusts, xiii + 288pp, dustwrapper. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 2007. £8.00
- Bristol and West of England REPORT OF THE BRISTOL AND WEST OF ENGLAND ARCHITECTURAL SOCIETY. With 3 plates, 38pp, original printed wraps are soiled, some corners of pages curled, spotting to prelims. Printed by Joseph Leech: 1849. £7.00
* Includes an article on the Bristol High Cross. The plates are architectural details of Trinity Church, Westbury on Trym.
- Chafin (William) A SECOND EDITION OF THE ANECDOTES AND HISTORY OF CRANBOURNE CHASE. With Additions, and a continuation of the said history to some extent. To which are added Some Scenes in, and Anecdotes of Windsor Forest by the same author. Frontis, 103pp, actually 107 pages as the first 4 pages are followed by numbers with asterix , 1, 1* etc., occasional spotting, untrimmed in early plain paper boards, top outer hinge partly broken, ex-Dorset museum library, with label to front pastedown. London: J. Nichols, Son and Bentley, 1818. £60.00
- Collings (A.G) ALONG THE SOUTH WEST WAY. Part I. Minehead to Bude. 184pp, dustwrapper. Tabb House, Padstow: 1985. £4.00
- Cossons (Neil) INDUSTRIAL MONUMENTS IN THE MENDIP, SOUTH COTSWOLD AND BRISTOL REGION. Field Guide No. 4. 32pp, original decorative card covers, owners name and date on title-page. Bristol Archaeological Research Group, Bristol: 1967. £4.00
- Davey (Edwin) & Roseff (Rebecca) HEREFORDSHIRE BRICKS & BRICKMAKERS. Illusts, plans, 144pp, original pictorial card covers. Logaston Press, Woonton Almeley: 2007. £8.00
- Day (Joan) A GUIDE TO THE INDUSTRIAL HERITAGE OF AVON. Illusts, maps, 51pp, original pictorial card covers. Association for Industrial Archaeology, 1987. £12.00
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 7. From January 1912 to October 1913. Part I Miscellaneous. Plates, some of which are folding, 304pp, original cloth. Exeter: James G. Commin. 1913. £16.00
* Includes articles:- Courtenay Arms; Exeter Castle; Bells of North Bovey; Branscombe Church; Bideford Witches; Rectors of Talaton; Coinage Hall of Lostwithiel; Kirkham of Feniton, Westofer of Yardbury, Colyton, and Drake of Yardbury; Family of Pyne; Cornish Folklore: The Piskies, etc, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES. Volume 8. Part 4 of 8 only. With 3 plates, pages numbered 97-128pp, complete.... Bound with.... Appendix. Lega-Weekes (Ethel) SOME STUDIES IN THE TOPOGRAPHY OF THE CATHEDRAL CLOSE EXETER. With 5 plates, pages numbered 33-64, original printed wraps. James G. Commin. Exeter: October, 1914. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Vivians of Truro and St. Crantock; Sandford Church Figures; Totnes; John Rattenbury; Raleigh Inscriptions in St. John's-in-the-Wilderness, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 19. Part 5 of 8 only. 2 plates, pages numbered 193-240pp, original printed wraps, E. Lega Weekes signature on top wrap, some marks and notes by her in the text. James Townsend, Exeter: Jan. 1937. £4.00
* Includes articles:- The Tracys; William Jackson, Musician, Artist, and Author; The Fitz-Martins, etc.
- Dickens Press HOLIDAY HAUNTS IN GREAT BRITAIN 1970. the complete guide to holiday resorts and accommodation. Plates, some in colour, maps, numerous adverts, 416pp, original pictorial card covers. Dickens Press, London: c.1969. £6.00
- Ditchfield (P.H) THE OLD-TIME PARSON. With Seventeen Illustrations. xii + 342 + 40 pages of publishers adverts, occasional light foxing, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges, name to front endpaper. First Edition, London: Methuen & Co., 1908. £10.00
- Duncumb (John) COLLECTIONS TOWARDS THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE COUNTY OF HEREFORD. Part 1 of volume 2, only. With 2 portrait plates, lacking 2 plates, title-page + 318pp, 4to, original paper boards, loose, lacks spine, stitching broken, in 3 parts, and with a few pages loose. Printed by E.G. Wright, Hereford: 1812. £25.00
- Exmoor Society THE EXMOOR REVIEW. 1969. The Journal of the Exmoor Society. Volume 10. Illusts, maps, adverts, 106pp, original pictorial covers. The Exmoor Society, Dulverton: 1969. £4.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset. Includes:- Bampfylde Mine, Combe Martin church; Exmoor Voters in the 19th century, etc.
- Exmoor Society THE EXMOOR REVIEW. 1977. The Journal of the Exmoor Society. Volume 18. Illusts, folding map, adverts, 96pp, original pictorial covers, top cover slightly creased. The Exmoor Society, Dulverton: 1977. £4.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset. Includes:- Parracombe; The Brendons; Ring Ouzels; Early Exmoor Photographers; Deer Watching, etc.
- Forster (T.E), editor MEMOIR OF THE HARTLEY COLLIERY ACCIDENT AND RELIEF FUND. Prepared by request of the General Committee of the Fund. With 12 plates and illustrations, viii + 133pp, roy 8vo, original cloth, occasional underlining in crayon. Andrew Reid and Co., Newcastle-upon-Tyne: 1912. £46.00
- Gray (Irvine) ANTIQUARIES OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE AND BRISTOL. Plates, 210pp, original cloth partly faded. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society. 1981. £8.00
* With chapters on 52 Antiquaries, illustrated with plates showing examples of their handwriting. Includes most of the noted writers such as Atkyns, Rudge, Rudder, Fosbroke, etc.
- Grinsell (Leslie) PREHISTORIC SITES IN THE MENDIP, SOUTH COTSWOLD, AND BRISTOL REGION. Field Guide No 12. 32pp, original pictorial card covers. Bristol Archaeological Research Group, Bristol: 1970. £4.00
- Hammond (J.L. & Barbara) THE SKILLED LABOURER 1760-1832. viii + 403pp, pages tanned to the edges, original pictorial card covers. Longmans, London: 1919. £4.00
- Harley (J.B), and O'Donoghue (Yolande), intro. THE OLD SERIES ORDNANCE SURVEY MAPS OF ENGLAND AND WALES. Scale 1" to 1 mile. Volume 3. South-Central England (HAMPSHIRE, and THE ISLE OF WIGHT, and parts of BERKSHIRE, DORSET, SOMERSET, SURREY, SUSSEX and WILTSHIRE). Coloured frontis, illusts, liv + 35 double-page maps, folio, dustwrapper. Harry Margary, Lympne Castle, Kent: 1981. £18.00
- Hawkins (Desmond) CRANBORNE CHASE. Map endpapers, plates, 192pp, original pictorial card covers. Victor Gollancz Ltd., London: 1983. £4.00
* Cranborne Chase spreads over 3 counties, Dorset, Hampshire and Wiltshire.
- Hoskins (W.G) LOCAL HISTORY IN ENGLAND. With plates, maps and diagrams, xiii + 301pp, original pictorial card covers. Longmans, London: 1984. £4.00
- Jackson-Stops (Gervase) BLICKLING HALL. Norfolk. Plan, pedigree, 64pp, tall 8vo, original pictorial card covers. The National Trust, 1977. £4.00
- [Joyce (W.W)] ECHOES OF EXMOOR. A Record of the Discussion and Doings of the Men-of-Exmoor Club. First Series. With 8 illustrations, 98 + (2)pp, original printed card covers, lacks spine, shaken, few marks to top cover. Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent & Co. Ltd. London: 1923. £4.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset.
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE AND THE CITY OF BRISTOL 1927. Lacks maps, 28 pages of adverts, xviii + 584 + xxviii + 1175pp, original cloth, partly faded, few splits to spines, inner hinges pulled. Kelly's Directories Ltd., London: 1927. £85.00
- Kerslake (Thomas) A PRIMAEVAL BRITISH METROPOLIS With Some Notes On the Ancient Topography of the South-Western Peninsula of Britain. 108pp, lacks lower wrap and spine. Bristol: Thomas Kerslake and Company. 1877. £16.00
- [Leech (J)] THE CHURCH-GOER. Rural Rides: or, Calls at Country Churches. To which are added notices of the Reverends Drs. Pusey, Joseph Wolff, Henry Philpotts, Bishop of Exeter, and Francis Close, Vicar of Cheltenham. Frontis, xi + 259pp, original cloth, recased with a new spine and endpapers, frontis and first 2 leaves slightly chipped to edges, occasional light spotting. Third edition, John Ridler, Bristol: 1851. £14.00
* Includes:- Winterbourne; Henbury; Stapleton; Fishponds; Thornbury; Abbot's Leigh; Lympsham; Berkeley; Chew Magna, etc.
- Leighton (Albert C) TRANSPORT & COMMUNICATION IN EARLY MEDIEVAL EUROPE AD 500-1100. Plates, 257pp, dustwrapper David & Charles, Newton Abbot: 1972. £8.00
- Maton (William George) OBSERVATIONS RELATIVE CHIEFLY TO THE NATURAL HISTORY, PICTURESQUE SCENERY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE WESTERN COUNTIES OF ENGLAND, Made in the Years 1794 and 1796. With 15 of 16 aquatint views, 2 of the plates are loose and are from another volume, lacks map, and pages i to viii of Preface. Contains:- xi + 336 + 216 + (18)pp, 2 volumes, early qtr calf, marbled boards, rubbed, lettering rubbed from spine, calf chipped on spine, outer hinges partly cracked, some light off-setting, the usual occasional foxing, a small amount of early marginalia. Printed and Sold by J. Easton, Salisbury: 1797. £100.00
- Murray (Stephen) YEOVIL, SHERBORNE and The West Country. With a Journey along the Fosse Way to the North. Coloured and black and white photographic plates, textual illusts, 225pp, original decorative card covers, name in ink on top cover. Stephen Murray, Yeovil: 1941. £6.00
- Oxford DRAWINGS OF OXFORD by J.C. Buckler 1811-27 With 24 plates, 32pp, sm. 8vo, original printed card covers, rear cover partly spotty, internally sound. Bodleian Library, Oxford: 1951. £4.00
- Powys (L), with a Foreword by John Cowper Powys. SOMERSET AND DORSET ESSAYS. Plates, xiv + 255pp, lacks dustwrapper and front endpaper, spine faded, fore-edges spotty. First edition thus, MacDonald, London: 1957. £8.00
- Rees (Gareth) EARLY RAILWAY PRINTS A Social History of the Railways from 1825 to 1850. Numerous coloured and black and white plates, 128pp, oblong 4to, dustwrapper. Phaidon, Oxford: 1980. £6.00
- Rhoden (Maxwell) GOLDEN CAP AND TWENTY MILES AROUND. Map, illusts, 83pp, original wraps. Covers a 20 mile area from Seaton extending into Somerset and Dorset. C.J. Creed, Bridport: 1974, £4.00
- Richardson (A.E) and Gill (C. Lovett) REGIONAL ARCHITECTURE OF THE WEST OF ENGLAND. Numerous illustrations, xx + 188pp, 4to, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges. First edition, London: Ernest Benn, Limited. 1924. £50.00
- Robbins (Michael) GEORGE AND ROBERT STEPHENSON. Plates, maps, textual illusts, 69pp, original pictorial card covers. London: H.M.S.O. 1980. £4.00
- Robinson (W.J) WEST COUNTRY CHURCHES. Volume 3 of 4 only. Numerous illusts., 221pp, original cloth, spine slightly faded, short tear to cloth at head of spine. Bristol Times and Mirror, 1915. £15.00
* This volume includes churches at :- Little Sodbury; St. Philip and Jacob, Bristol; Litton, Locking, Mells, Martock, Mangotsfield, Nailsea, Paulton, Portbury, Priston, Olveston, Rangeworthy, Siston, Shirehampton, Stowey, etc.
- Smith (Graham) SMUGGLING in the Bristol Channel 1700-1850. Illusts, 176pp, original decorative card covers. Countryside Books, Newbury: 1989. £4.00
- Snell (F.J) THE CELTIC BORDERLAND A Rediscovery of the Marches from Wye to Dee. Full page and text illusts, 416pp, original cloth, corners slightly bruised, private library label to front pastedown, signs where small label removed from rear cover, corners slightly bruised. Robert Scott, London: (1928) £5.00
- Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries, editors Frederic William Weaver and Charles Herbert Mayo NOTES AND QUERIES FOR SOMERSET AND DORSET. Volume 5. Illusts, vii + 376pp, including index, early cloth. Sherborne: J.C. and A.T. Sawtell. 1897. £15.00
* Includes articles:- Worth Matravers Registers; Wimborne Grammar School; Castle Cary Court Roll; Witchcraft in Dorset, Thick family; Cerne Abbas; Norton-sub-Hamdon Accounts; Clarke family; Fire at Weymouth, etc.
- Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries, compiled by L.E.J. Brooke A SHORT INDEX TO SOMERSET AND DORSET NOTES AND QUERIES. Volumes 23 - 32. (1939/42 - 1986/90). 26pp, original card covers. Creeds, Bridport: 1991. £4.00
- Stanford (Edward) A RESUME OF THE PUBLICATIONS OF THE ORDNANCE AND GEOLOGICAL SURVEY OF ENGLAND AND WALES, With indexes to the 1-inch Maps of the British of the British Isles... Maps, 73pp, original printed card covers, rear cover slightly creased. Originally Published London: Edward Stanford, 1909, reprinted c.1994. £9.00
- Tunnicliff (William) A TOPOGRAPHICAL SURVEY OF THE COUNTIES OF.... The STAFFORD section. Lacks map, 6 engraved pages of coats of arms, and 2 further pages showing engraved blanks of coats of arms, pages numbered 1-40, uncut, disbound, half-title loose and with fore-edge slightly ragged. Bath: Printed and Sold by R. Cruttwell. 1789. £12.00
* Includes an 'Index to the Great Roads in Staffordshire', a list of the 'Principal Subscriber's Names' and a 'Directory of the Principal Merchants and Manufacturers in Staffordshire.'
- Verney (Sir Ralph), edited by John Bruce VERNEY PAPERS. NOTES OF PROCEEDINGS IN THE LONG PARLIAMENT, Temp. Charles I. Printed from Original Pencil Memoranda Tables in the House by Sir Ralph Verney, Knight, Member for the Borough of Aylesbury; and now in the possession of Sir Harry Verney. xii + 192 + 36pp, original cloth, small snag to head of spine, slight foxing to prelims. London: Printed for the Camden Society, 1845. £9.00
- Warnock (D.W) and Parsons (R.G) THE BRISTOL & NORTH SOMERSET RAILWAY SINCE 1884. Map, diagrams, illusts, 28pp, original card covers, stapled, few spots to top cover, lacks tape from spine. Avon-Anglia Publications, Bristol: 1979. £6.00
A further selection of BRITISH TOPOGRAPHY and LOCAL HISTORY Books on Main Site
Back to the TopCopyright © Ambra Books - 2023. All rights reserved.
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :-
Tel:- ( 0117 ) 9076899
E-mail :- firstname.lastname@example.org
Bristol -- Bristol Clearance
Cornwall -- Cornwall Clearance
Devon -- Devon Clearance
Dorset -- Dorset Clearance
Gloucestershire -- Gloucestershire Clearance
Somerset -- Somerset Clearance
Wiltshire -- Wiltshire Clearance
General Local History -- General Clearance
GENERAL Local History :- Selection of items I wish to purchase
GENERAL Local History :- Selection of manuscripts, maps, ephemera etc. for sale from Lesley Aitchison.
AMBRA BOOKS Home page