WEST COUNTRY Clearance List 223/WC
History, Topography and Genealogy
odds, sods, and a few others
Duplicates of some items.
10% Discount for 2 items
20% Discount for 4 items
30% Discount for 6 items
40% Discount for 8 items
50% Discount for 10 items
Bristol -- Cornwall -- Devon -- Dorset -- Gloucestershire -- Somerset --
Wiltshire -- General (Includes a selection of other counties.)
This is a selection from my stock.
Please let me know if there are any other titles you are looking for.
Click on:- ORDERING details
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :- ( 0117 ) 9076899
Postage, packing and insurance are extra.
When ordering from this list please note item No., Author, and Title.
Payment can be made by either sterling cheque, or by bank transfer.
Prices are nett.
- Archaeological Institution MEMOIRS ILLUSTRATIVE OF THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF BRISTOL, and the Western Counties of Great Britain.... With numerous plates and textual illustrations, partly coloured folding plan, xcv + 280pp, original cloth, outer hinges partly split, foot of spine rubbed, small portion missing from head of spine. London: George Bell, 1851. £18.00
* Includes chapters:- 'Sepulchral Monuments of Bristol'; 'Sherborne Minster, Dorsetshire'; 'Painted Glass at Bristol, Wells, Gloucester, and Exeter', etc.
- Arrowsmith, printer COBBLERS' TALE. With 20 plates, 100pp, sm 8vo, some marks to original wraps. J.W. Arrowsmith Ltd., Bristol: Revised (and enlarged) Edition 1963. £12.00
* The story of G.B. Britton & Sons Ltd.
- Barber (Ross) THE DRAMWAY. The old horse drawn railway path from Coalpit Heath to Willsbridge. Illusts, maps, 41pp, original pictorial card covers. Avon Industrial Buildings Trust, Bristol: 1986. £10.00
- Bergin (G. Fred), compiled by TEN YEARS AFTER: A Sequel to the Autobiography of George Muller. Being an Account of the Work at the Ashley Down Orphanage, Bristol, for the Ten Years Following the Death of Mr Muller. Illustrated with 32 Plates, 380pp, original cloth, damp spotting to head of top boards. J. Nisbet & Co., Ltd., London: Scriptural Knowledge Institution, Bristol: Preface dated 1909. £11.00
- Berry (Diana) & Mackenzie (Campbell) EPONYMISTS IN MEDICINE. RICHARD BRIGHT 1789-1858. Physician in an Age of Revolution and Reform. Illusts, facsimiles, pedigree, xiii + 296pp, original pictorial card covers. Royal Society of Medicine, London: (1992) £10.00
- Bristol Docks Committee STATISTICS OF THE PORT OF BRISTOL. 28 leaves of tables, some of which are folded, with some statistics added in manuscript up to 1900. folio, original qtr cloth, paper boards, private ownership stamp to front pastedown. February, 1896. £20.00
- Bristol Police BRISTOL POLICE CENTENARY 1836-1936. Thursday 25th June 1936. Plates, 36pp, recent cloth, with several blanks bound in at the rear. Lodge and Son, Printers, Bristol: 1936. £15.00
- Buchanan (R.A) and Cossons (Neil) INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF THE BRISTOL REGION. With plates and textual illusts, 335pp, dustwrapper slightly rubbed to edges. First edition, David & Charles, Newton Abbot: 1969. £8.00
- Cottle (Basil) JOSEPH COTTLE OF BRISTOL. Illusts, 23pp, original pictorial card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1987. £4.00
- Downend Local History Society MANGOTSFIELD PICTURE PAST 2. A collection of old photographs of Downend, Mangotsfield and Staple Hill. Numerous illusts, 104pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers, name to verso of top cover. Downend Local History Society, 1987 £7.00
- Ellery (Lionel W) THE ST. MARK (Lower Easton) Story. Illusts, 44pp, original pictorial card covers. Portishead Press Print, 1984. £7.00
- Ellis (B.M) CAVING REPORT. No 3 The Manufacture of Lightweight Caving Ladders. Illusts, 13pp, original printed wraps, Bristol Exploration Club, May 1958. £5.00
- Farr (Grahame) BRISTOL SHIPBUILDING IN THE NINETEENTH CENTURY. Illusts, double-page plan, 25pp, original printed card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1971. £4.00
- Fleming (Peter) and Costello (Kieran) DISCOVERING CABOT'S BRISTOL. Life in the Medieval and Tudor Town. Illusts, some in colour, 87pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Redcliffe Press, Tiverton: 1989. £14.00
- Hemmons (W.C), printer THE BRISTOL REVIEW No 2. 81-171pp, lacks top wrap, portions missing from spine. Issued Quarterly. Only 2 parts were published. W.C. Hemmons, printer, Bristol: July, 1882. £18.00
* Includes sections on the Bristol Docks and William Collins (18th century poet), etc.
- Hill (John C.G) SHIPSHAPE AND BRISTOL FASHION. Illusts, some of which are coloured, viii + 110pp, couple of very short tears to dustwrapper. Second Edition. The Journal of Commerce and Shipping Telegraph, Liverpool: c.195- £10.00
* The history of shipping and shipbuilding in Bristol.
- Hollow (A.R), Head Master DR. BELL'S SCHOOL, FISHPONDS 1850-1950. With 3 tipped in plates, 23pp, original printed wraps. Bristol: c.1950. £12.00
- Lee (Thomas) WHITE-LION CLUB, LATE RIOT AND DOCK TAX. An Address to the Public, Wherein these alarming and disgraceful Topics are discussed. Pamphlet, 32pp, disbound, last leaf slightly dusty. Printed by George Routh, Shannon-Court, Corn Street, Bristol: (1807) £35.00
* This is an attack on the Tory M.P. Bathurst and the Dock Scheme.
- Masters (Betty R) and Ralph (Elizabeth) THE CHURCH BOOK OF ST. EWEN'S BRISTOL 1454 - 1584. Frontis, xxxix + 291pp, original cloth. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1967. £12.00
- Muller (George) A BRIEF NARRATIVE OF FACTS Relative to The Ashley Down, Orphanage, Bristol, Originally called The New Orphan Houses, (Founded in 1836).... This Narrative contains the Record of the Period from May 27th, 1939, to May 26th, 1940, and constitutes the ONE HUNDRED AND FIRST REPORT of the Proceedings of the above Institution. 87pp, original printed wraps are slightly spotty, spine chipped. John Wright and Sons, Bristol: 1940. £12.00
- Nicholls (J.F) and Taylor (John) BRISTOL PAST AND PRESENT. Volume 2 - Ecclesiastical History. Numerous wood-cut illustrations, volume 2 of 3 only, viii + 308pp, 4to, original cloth, covers slightly rubbed to edges, inner hinges cracked and pulled, top and rear outer hinge have 2" splits, head and foot of spine rubbed. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith. 1881. £20.00
- Orme (Nicholas) and Cannon (John) WESTBURY ON TRYM: MONASTERY, MINSTER, AND COLLEGE. Plates, plans, maps, xii + 276pp, vii + 363pp, dustwrapper. Volume 62. Bristol Record Society. 2010. £10.00
- Palmer (Andrew) BRISTOL IN OLD POSTCARDS. 140pp, oblong 8vo, original paper covered boards, lightly rubbed to edges. First edition, European Library, Zaltbommel, Netherlands: 1983. £12.00
- Penny (John) BRISTOL AT WORK. Illusts, 195pp, 4to, dustwrapper. Breedon Books Publishing, Derby: 2005. £12.00
* 'uses a remarkable selection of rare photographs and other illustrations to record the variety of businesses, trades, industries, and services that generated Bristol's wealth.... '
- Port of Bristol Authority PORT OF BRISTOL Cold Stores Avonmouth Docks. Reception and Handling of Refrigerated produce. Illusts, map, 15pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Port of Bristol Authority, Bristol: c.193- £10.00
- Port of Bristol Authority THE PORT OF BRISTOL Official Handbook of the Port of Bristol Authority 1955. Illusts, plans, adverts, 128pp, roy. 8vo, original wraps, covers slightly rubbed. Printed and Published for The Port of Bristol Authority by F.G. Warne, Bristol: 1955. £12.00
- Port of Bristol Authority THE PORT OF BRISTOL Official Handbook of the Port of Bristol Authority 1956. Illusts, plans, adverts, 128pp, roy. 8vo, original wraps, covers slightly rubbed. Printed and Published for The Port of Bristol Authority by F.G. Warne, Bristol: 1956. £12.00
- Ralph (Elizabeth), editor THE GREAT WHITE BOOK OF BRISTOL. (iv) + 152pp, original cloth. Volume 32. Bristol Record Society. 1979. £15.00
- Robinson (Derek)] A SHOCKING HISTORY OF BRISTOL. Six episodes of scandals, swindles, shambles, bungles, ferocity and farce. Illusts, 120pp, original pictorial card covers, lower corner of top cover slightly bruised. Third impression, Abson Books, Bristol: 1987. £4.00
- Rogers (Nicholas), editor MANNING THE ROYAL NAVY IN BRISTOL: Liberty, Impressment and the State, 1739-1815. Illusts, xxvi + 349pp, dustwrapper. Volume 66. Bristol Record Society. 2014. £12.00
- Sampson (Walter Adam) THE ALMSHOUSES OF BRISTOL. Plate, 25pp, spine of original printed wraps slightly rubbed, private stamp and bookplate to verso of front cover. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, (1909) £10.00
- Stephenson (David) THE HISTORY OF LAWRENCE HILL. Illusts, map, 43 + (18)pp, original pictorial card covers. Bristol: c.2000 £8.00
- Taylor (Beatrice L), and Mockridge (Henry D), editor BRISTOL CONFERENCE SOUVENIR The Authorised Official Guide for the National Union of Teachers Conference. Easter, 1902. Illusts, adverts, double-page map, xi + 268pp, 12mo, decorative cloth, spine darkened, short split to foot of back outer hinge. (1902) £18.00
* Includes chapters on architecture, archaeology, in Cheltenham and the local geology.
- Titchie (George), editor THE "GREAT BRITAIN TIMES," A Weekly Newspaper Published on board the Screw Steam Ship "Great Britain." During the passage from Melbourne to Liverpool, commencing 21st and ending December 22nd., 1895. 40pp, sm. 4to, original pictorial card covers, cloth spine, small spot to first leaf. Originally published Birkenhead, 1866. Reprinted, c.1975. £4.00
- Tonkin (Marguerite) HENBURY DYNASTIES. Illusts, pedigrees, 158pp,original pictorial card covers. Redcliffe Press Ltd., Bristol: 2005. £11.00
- True North Books MEMORIES OF BRISTOL. Numerous illusts, 132pp, 4to, original pictorial boards. True North Books Ltd., 1999. £6.00
- Vanes (Jean), editor DOCUMENTS ILLUSTRATING THE OVERSEAS TRADE OF BRISTOL In the Sixteenth Century. (vi) + 196pp, original cloth. Volume 31. Bristol Record Society. 1979. £14.00
- Vear (Leonard) BEDMINSTER BOY A Childhood Remembered, Illusts, 88pp, original pictorial card covers. Redcliffe Press Ltd., Bristol: 1989. £5.00
- Vinter (Dorothy) THE OLD FRENCH PRISON, STAPLETON. Illusts, pages numbered 134-170, complete, original printed wraps, portions missing from spine. Reprinted from the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1956. £4.00
- Were (F) BRISTOL CITY COAT OF ARMS. With 3 illustrations in the text, 6pp, original printed wraps, staples rusty. Reprinted from Transactions of the bristol & Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, (1901) £4.00
- Whitson (John), Alderman of the City of Bristol A PIOUS MEDITATION, COMPOSED IN THE SEVENTEENTH CENTURY, BY JOHN WHITSON, Alderman of the City of Bristol; To which is subjoined Some Account of the Author, by the Late George Symes Catcott, With Additional Memoirs Collected by the Present Editor, by the Rev. John Eden. Frontis and one other plate, 78pp, small folio, contemporary cloth, paper label on spine, outer hinges rubbed, lacks portion at foot of spine, partly unopened, private indelible ownership stamp to front pastedown. Bristol: John Mills, 1829. £30.00
- Williams (Mary E) CIVIC TREASURES OF BRISTOL. Numerous illusts, some in colour, 85pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. City of Bristol, 1984. £7.00
- Willmott (Paul and Jill) THROUGH THE YEARS A Pictorial History of Kingswood and the Surrounding Area. Volume 2. Illusts, 64pp, original pictorial card covers. Enterprise Postcards, Bristol: 1989. £5.00
- Willmott (Paul and Jill) THROUGH THE YEARS A Pictorial History of Kingswood and the Surrounding Area. Volume 3. Illusts, 64pp, original pictorial card covers. Enterprise Postcards, Bristol: 1989. £5.00
- Wood (J.M), editor WHITCHURCH Village Memories. With 8 illusts, 42 leaves printed on one side only, 4to, original pictorial card covers, stapled, lacks paper spine. Whitchurch Local History Society, Bristol: c.1980. £12.00
* 'The period covered is that from the early part of the (20th) century, through the first World War, the 20's and 30's and then, once again to the way in which war-time conditions affected the village.'
A further selection of BRISTOL Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Appleby (Cedric) VENTONLEAGUE METHODIST CHURCH. 1876-1976. 'One Hundred Years of Methodism.' 12 page typescript printed on rectos only, original paper wraps, stapled. 1976. £8.00
- Baron (Frank) MA'THER MADDER A Cornish Character. 87pp, few spots to the original decorative card covers, top outer hinge partly rubbed, lacks front endpaper, some spotting front and rear. Penzance: John W. Saudry, (1952) £4.00
* Dialect stories.
- Barton (D.B) THE STORY OF CORNWALL'S ENGINE HOUSES Illusts, 40pp, original pictorial card covers. Tor Mark Press, Truro: 1970. £4.00
- Bennett (Alan) IMAGES OF CORNWALL. Illusts, maps, 72pp, original pictorial card covers. Runpast Publishing, Cheltenham: 1992. £6.00
- Bird (Sheila) BYGONE TRURO. With 152 illusts, dustwrapper. Phillimore, Chichester: 1986. £8.00
- Bishop (George) A PARISH ALBUM OF CALLINGTON Numerous illusts, 2 plans, including one folding panorama, 203pp, small folio, original card covers. Colombian Press, Plymouth: 1988. £32.00
- Bliss (Virginia) THE HISTORY OF HAYLE. Maps, 54pp, small folio, original card covers, plastic spiral binding. Penwith District Council, 1978. £10.00
* Signed presentation inscription by the author on the title-page. This work was produced to accompany an exhibition.
- Bottrell (William) TRADITIONS AND HEARTHSIDE STORIES OF WEST CORNWALL. (First Series). 287 + 3 page Index + 3 page original subscribers list, original decorative card covers. First published 1870. Facsimile reprint, Llanerch Publishers, Felinfach: 1996. £18.00
- Brown (H. Miles) A CENTURY FOR CORNWALL The Diocese of Truro, 1877 - 1977. With 14 plates, x + 141pp, dustwrapper. Oscar Blackford, Truro: 1976. £7.00
- Bullen (L.J) MINING IN CORNWALL. Volume Five: The North Coast. Illusts, 128pp, original pictorial card covers. Reprinted, Tempus, Stroud: 2003. £8.00
- Burt (Roger), editor CORNISH MINING Essays on the Organisation of Cornish Mines and the Cornish Mining Economy. 210pp, dustwrapper. Newton Abbot: David and Charles, 1969. £25.00
* With a signed presentation inscription from the author on the front endpaper.
- Collins (Rev. C. Trelawney) PERRANZABULOE, The Lost Church Found.... Frontis, xviii + 294pp, original cloth, boards, frontis and title-page loose, fragment of spine loosely inserted, cellotape adhering to inner margins of frontis, title-page, rear endpaper and rear board. Fourth edition. London: Printed for J.G.F. & J. Rivington, 1839. £8.00
- Cornish Institute of Engineers, edited by G.J. Shrimpton TRANSACTIONS OF THE CORNISH INSTITUTE OF ENGINEERS New Series, Volume XVIII (1962-63) Textual diagrams, one of which is folding, 45 cyclostyled pages, 4to, original wraps. Cornish Institute of Engineers, Camborne: 1963. £12.00
* Includes articles on Tin Dressing and Metallurgy; Fifty Years of Cornish Mining (reminiscences); Portland Stone Industry, Mine, etc.
- Cross (Tom) THE SHINING SANDS. Artists in Newlyn and St. Ives 1880-1930. Illusts, 224pp, dustwrapper. Reprinted, Halsgrove, Tiverton: 1999. £12.00
- Daniell Rev. (J.J) A COMPENDIUM OF THE HISTORY OF CORNWALL. Second Edition with Corrections and Large Additions by J.H. Collins. xv + 340pp, original cloth, spine slightly cockled. Truro: Netherton and Worth, 1880. £25.00
- Foot (Sarah) RIVERS OF CORNWALL. Coloured and black and white illusts, 120pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Bossiney Books, St. Teath: 1984. £5.00
- Gibbons (George B) "THEN SAID THE HIGH PRIEST ARE THESE THINGS SO? AND HE SAID, MEN, BRETHEREN, AND FATHERS HEARKEN." A Sermon Preached in the Parish Church of St. Mary Magdalene, Launceston, before the Right Reverend Henry, Lord Bishop of Exeter, At his Triennial Visitation, September 23, 1839. Published by Command of the Bishop. 30pp, disbound, stitching broken so pamphlet in 2 sections. Launceston: Printed and Published by T. & W.R. Bray. (1839) £12.00
* Gibbons was the Perpetual Curate of St. Mary Magdalene, Launceston.
- Gilbert (Davies) ADDRESSES TO THE ROYAL SOCIETY AT THE ANNIVERSARY MEETING On St. Andrew's Day, 1828. 11pp, unbound, stitched as issued. London: Richard Taylor, 1829. £12.00
* Gilbert Davies was the president of the Royal Society and the Royal Geological Society of Cornwall. Not in Boase and Courtney's Bibliotheca Cornubiensis.
- Halliday (F.E) A HISTORY OF CORNWALL. With 15 plates, textual maps, 328pp, dustwrapper. Second edition, Duckworth, 1975. £12.00
- Ivall (D. Endean) and Thomas (Charles) A SUPPLEMENT TO MILITARY INSIGNIA OF CORNWALL. Illusts, 17pp, folio, original printed wraps. Penwith Books in association with D.C.L.I. Regimental Museum, 1976. £10.00
- Jaggard (Edwin), editor LIBERALISM IN WEST CORNWALL: the 1868 Election Papers of A. Pendarves Vivian, M.P. Map, lvi + 154pp, original pictorial card covers. Devon and Cornwall Record Society New Series, Volume 42. Exeter: 2000. £10.00
- King (Isaac) A SAILOR'S LETTER. 4pp, 12mo, disbound. E. Bentley, Fleet Street, London: c.1812. £10.00
* This imprint not found in Boase & Courtney. Bibliotheca Cornubiensis, vol 2, page 665. The letter is signed 'Isaac King' and is addressed to the Rev. G.C. Smith, Penzance. Smith started life in the navy, and later studied to become a Baptist minister in Devonport. The Rev. G.C. Smith was a pastor of the Baptist chapel in Penzance from 1807-25, and 1848-63. Whilst there he preached not only in Penzance, but also at St. Just and Newlyn, and built six chapels in the Penzance area. He founded several societies and charities mainly for the benefit of sailors and their families.
- Lane (Harold) MY CAMELFORD Compiled from the writings and photographic collection of the late Harold Lane. Illusts, 20pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. Privately published, 2003. £8.00
- Maker (Lawrence) COB AND MOORSTONE. The curious history of some Methodist Churches. Frontis, 94pp, original cloth, lacks front endpaper. London: The Epworth Press, 1935. £14.00
- Mining Association and Institute of Cornwall TRANSACTIONS OF THE MINING ASSOCIATION AND INSTITUTE OF CORNWALL. Volume 2. Part 2. 85 + xi + (2)pp, wraps and spine partly faded and chipped. Published by the Society, Camborne: 1889. £15.00
* Includes articles on Globes Mill at Dolcoath; Steam Boilers; Dr Angus Smith's Methods of Testing Air, etc.
- Morrison (T.A) CORNWALL'S CENTRAL MINES: THE NORTHERN DISTRICT 1810 - 1895. Illusts, diagrams, viii + 392pp, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper. Penzance: Alison Hodge, 1980. £18.00
* Detailed study of the mines in the areas of Tolgus Downs, Pool, and Roskear-Roscroggan.
- Newton (Jill) WORDS FROM A CORNISH VILLAGE. The Parish of St. Keverne. Illusts, 77pp, original pictorial card covers. Helston Printers, 1981. £6.00
- Noall (Cyril) BOTALLACK Illusts, 170pp, lacks dustwrapper, original cloth. First edition. Truro: Bradford Barton, 1972. £15.00
- Old Cornwall OLD CORNWALL MAGAZINE Volume 2. No. 5. Illusts, 44pp, original printed wraps, institution stamp, and signature to top wrap, occasional pencil marginalia. Issued by Federation of Old Cornwall Societies. Summer, 1933. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Old Fishing Ways at Looe; Zennor and Morvah; Cornish Whales, etc.
- Old Cornwall OLD CORNWALL MAGAZINE Volume 2. No. 6. 44pp, original printed wraps, institution stamp, and signature to top wrap, occasional pencil marginalia. Issued by Federation of Old Cornwall Societies. Winter, 1933. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Loss of H.M.S. Anson (1807) a Historic Cornish Wreck; Children's Games at Stratton; Stone Circle at Duloe, etc.
- Old Cornwall OLD CORNWALL MAGAZINE Volume 6. No. 1. Illusts, 48pp, original printed wraps. Issued by Federation of Old Cornwall Societies. Autumn, 1961. £4.00
* Includes articles:- French and Other Prisoners of War in Cornwall; Trewavas; The "Great Storm" at St. Keverne; Field and Coast Names in the Helford District; Cornish Language in the 17th century; The Tristan Stone; A Fisherman's Diary, 1879-1881, etc.
- Page (John Lloyd Warden) THE NORTH COAST OF CORNWALL. Its Scenery, its People, its Antiquities & its Legends. With an appendix on the Geology by W.A.E. Ussher. With folding map and illusts. xiii + 283pp, original cloth, few small light marks to cloth, couple of names to front endpaper. Truro: Joseph Pollard, Preface dated 1897. £35.00 --- See sample text
- Peck (John) PAINTING A MINE WITH LIGHT. A pictorial history of Wheal Jane a Cornish tin mine. Illusts, some in colour, 64pp, original pictorial card covers. Peck Publications, Truro: 2006. £7.00
- Penhallurick (R.D) THE BIRDS OF CORNWALL AND THE ISLES OF SCILLY. Illusts, maps, and diagrams, 200pp, roy 8vo, dustwrapper. First edition, D. Bradford Barton, Truro: 1969. £25.00
- Pounds (Norman J.G), editor THE PARLIAMENTARY SURVEY OF THE DUCHY OF CORNWALL. Part I (Austell Prior - Saltash); Part II (Isles of Scilly - West Antony and Manors in Devon). 2 volumes with 2 folding maps, xxiv + 130pp, and 131-271pp, original card covers. Devon & Cornwall Record Society New Series, Volumes. 25 & 27. Torquay: 1982-84. £12.00
- Rawe (Donald R) A PROSPECT of CORNWALL. Illusts, 222pp, dustwrapper. First Edition, Robert Hale, London: 1986. £6.00
- Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society. NINTH ANNUAL REPORT. 4 plates, 2 of which are folding, xix + 166 + 35pp, original printed top wrap, lacks spine, and lower wrap, stitching loosening, several leaves at rear loose, short tears to some fore-edge margins. Falmouth: 1841. £18.00
* Includes:- Couch. Essay on the Zoophytes of Cornwall, etc.
- Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society. NINETY-FIFTH ANNUAL REPORT of The Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society. New Series Volume 6. Part II - 1928. Plates, original wraps, spine chipped at head and foot, name and note in ink on top wrap. Camborne: Camborne Printing & Stationery Co. Ltd., 1928. £12.00
* Includes articles:- Cornish Medical Worthies; War Prisoners in Cornwall, etc.
- Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society. ONE HUNDRED AND THIRD ANNUAL REPORT of The Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society. New Series Volume 8. Part III - 1936. Plates, some of which are folding, original wraps, portion chipped from head of spine. Truro: Netherton and Worth, 1936. £10.00
* Includes articles:- Bodmin Priory; Hayle Foundry; Tin Dressing, etc.
- Royal Institution of Cornwall JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL INSTITUTION OF CORNWALL No 5. April, 1866. Illusts and tables, 96pp..... Bound with.... ADDITIONS TO BORLASE'S NATURAL HISTORY OF CORNWALL. From MS. Annotations by the Author. Supplement. Pages numbered, 54-66. Original wraps, slightly chipped to head and foot of spine, lacks small portion of top corner of top wrap. Truro: James R. Netherton, 1866. £16.00
* Includes articles:- Cornwall During the Civil War; Church of St. Michael, Penkevel; Church of St. Clement, etc.
- Royal Institution of Cornwall JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL INSTITUTION OF CORNWALL, VOLUME 14. Part 2 - 1901. Plates, pages numbered 253-422, lacks rear wrap, portions chipped from spine. Truro: Lake and Lake, 1901. £14.00
* Includes articles:- Cornish Chairs; Stone circles of Cornwall and Scotland; S. Mylor and Mabe Churches, etc.
- Shaw (Thomas) A HISTORY OF CORNISH METHODISM. Plates, 145 + (iii)pp adverts, dustwrapper protected in loose plastic sleeve. Truro: D. Bradford Barton, 1967. £20.00
- Shore (H.N) OLD FOYE DAYS. PART II. Containing An Authentic Account of the Exploits of the Smugglers in and around the Port of Fowey. 96pp, original cloth-backed printed boards, lacks spine, label to top board, top board loose, boards creased, ex-ref.lib. stamps to front endpaper. Privately Printed, 1907. £10.00
- Trevithick Society JOURNAL OF THE TREVITHICK SOCIETY No 2. 1974. Illusts, 96pp, original pictorial card covers. Trevithick Society, Cornwall: 1974. £6.00
* Includes articles:- History of Camborne School of Mines; West of England Bacon Co., Redruth; Smelting Sites in the Carn Brea St.Agnes area, etc.
- Trevithick Society THE JOURNAL OF THE TREVITHICK SOCIETY No 5. 1977. Illusts, 88pp, original pictorial card covers. Trevithick Society, Cornwall: 1977. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Hornblower Family; The Cornish Metal Company; Cornish Mineral Railways; Richard Trevithick in Costa Rica, etc.
- Vivian (Lt-Col J.L) VISITATIONS OF CORNWALL, comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1530, 1573 and 1620. With additions. This is part only and includes, INDEX, Title-page, Preface, prelims and 2 updated leaves. Pages numbered 643-672 + Title-page, Preface, and up-dated leaves 543-544 and 627-628, 4to, originally issued in 12 parts, this is the last part, original printed wraps, 1" dia. hole in last wrap, spine partly split. Exeter: William Pollard & Co., 1887. £12.00
- Woodbine (Ray), transcriber CORNWALL 1851 CENSUS. St Germans Superintendent Registrars District. Volume 10. Part 1. MAKER, RAME, and ST. JOHN. 126pp, 4to, original card covers, clip on plastic spine. Privately published, Par: 2000. £15.00
A further selection of CORNISH Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Acland (Anne) A DEVON FAMILY The Story of the Aclands. Illusts, map endpapers, xviii + 170pp, few short tears to partly faded dustwrapper. Phillimore, London & Chichester: 1981. £12.00
- Almy (P.H.W) THE HOMELAND GUIDE TO Torquay - Paignton - Brixham - Dartmouth - Totnes and the River Dart. Illusts, map, plans, adverts, 128pp, original card covers, covers slightly soiled. Homeland Association Ltd., London: c.196- £4.00
- Amery (P.F.S) THE GILD MERCHANTS OF TOTNES. 15pp, lacks wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 1880. £4.00
- Beer (Trevor) TREVOR BEER'S WILDLIFE OF NORTH DEVON. Numerous coloured plates, 208pp, oblong 4to, dustwrapper. Devon Books, Tiverton: 2001. £9.00
- Besley (H) A VISIT TO EXETER AND ITS VICINITY. Including an Account of The Cathedral, and a direction to the Walks, Rides, and Excursions in the Neighbourhood. With 2 engraved plates, one of which is folding, lacks one plate, 48pp, sm. 8vo, original printed wraps, lightly rubbed, few small marks to top wrap, spine chipped at foot. Extracted from the Route Book of Devon. Printed and Published by Henry Besley, Exeter: c.1860. £16.00
- Besley (T), printer and publisher THE REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONERS CONCERNING CHARITIES; containing that part which relates to the COUNTY OF DEVON. Volumes 1 and 2 of 4 only. viii + 334 and viipp + 336 and viipp, contemporary qtr calf, marbled boards, lightly rubbed to edges. Printed and Published by T. Besley, Jun. Cathedral-Yard, Exeter: 1826 and 1828. £40.00
* Gives details of the various 'Gifts' and their disbursements in each parish. There are also tables of lands owned by charities with lists of rent, names of lessees, descriptions of tenements, etc.
- Bidgood (R.F) TWO VILLAGES The Story of Mortenhoe and Woolacombe. Folding map, illusts, 88pp, original illustrated card covers. Signed presentation inscription on the front cover. Third edition, revised and enlarged, Privately published, Woolacombe: (1975) £12.00
- Boggis (Rev. R.J) HISTORY OF ST. JOHN'S TORQUAY. Illusts, xii + 301pp, original cloth, ex-lib. with paper label, to front pastedown, stamp to verso of title, showing through to title, number to base of spine, slightly shaken. First edition, Devonshire Press, Torquay: 1930. £6.00
- Bowden (Tom) AROUND PLYMOUTH. Britain in Old Photographs. Illusts, 126pp, pictorial card covers. Sutton Publishing Ltd., Stroud: 1996. £9.00
- Bradbeer (Grace) THE LAND CHANGED ITS FACE. The Evacuation of Devon's South Hams 1943 - 1944. With plates and textual illusts, 144pp, spine of dustwrapper slightly faded. David and Charles, Newton Abbot: 1973. £8.00
- Burnard (Robert) DARTMOOR PICTORIAL RECORDS. Consisting of Sixteen Illustrations from Negatives by the Author, Reproduced in permanent form by the Autotype Company; With textual Plans, Woodcuts, and Descriptive Letterpress. Volume 2 only of 4 volumes. Illusts, 60pp, original qtr roan, spine rubbed, lacking approx. 1" at foot of spine, and missing 'D' and 'A' from title. LIMITED TO 200 COPIES. Signed and Numbered by Burnard and the printers. Privately Printed. W. Brendon & Son, George Street, Plymouth: 1891. £30.00
- Burnard (Robert) DARTMOOR PICTORIAL RECORDS. Consisting of Eighteen Illustrations from Negatives by the Author, Reproduced in permanent form by the Autotype Company; With a Map, Woodcuts, and Descriptive Letterpress. Volume 3 only of 4 volumes. Illusts, 74pp, original qtr roan, couple of splash marks to front cover, Dartington Hall stamp to front endpaper, and the bookplate of Thurston Peter, the Cornish author to front pastedown. LIMITED TO 200 COPIES. Signed and numbered by Burnard and the Printers. Privately Printed. W. Brendon & Son, Plymouth: 1893. £40.00
- C., (R.A.) WESTCOUNTRY WANDERINGS. Lynton, Lynmouth and District by R.A.C. Fishing by W. Riddell & Cecil N. Bevan. Hunting by "Tally Ho!" Folding map, illusts, adverts, 80pp, 12mo, original printed wraps, partly faded, portions missing from spine, top wrap loose. Ingram Clarke & Co., Ltd., Ilfracombe: 1905. £6.00
- Chapman (Stanley D), editor THE DEVON CLOTH INDUSTRY IN THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY Sun Fire Office Inventories of Merchants' and Manufacturers' Property, 1726 - 1770. xxvi + 159pp, few small spots to the original card covers. Devon & Cornwall Record Society New Series, Volume 23. Torquay: 1978. £12.00
- Commin (James G) CATALOGUES OF SECOND-HAND BOOKS Catalogues 652, 659, 660, 662, 663, 666, 667, and 669. Offered for sale by James G. Commin (H. Commin) 16, Cathedral Yard, Exeter. 8 catalogues, each one containing 32pp, ink notes to a few top wraps. They contain descriptions of books on a large range of subjects, including many on Devon and Cornwall, and range in date from the 16th century onwards. James G. Commin, Exeter: March 1957 - May, 1960. £15.00
- Cresswell (Beatrix F) NOTES ON THE CHURCHES OF THE DEANERY OF KENN, Devon. Illusts, 192pp, original cloth, institution stamp to front endpaper. First edition, Exeter: James G. Commin. 1912. £16.00 --- See sample text
* Forming part 2 of Volume 7 of Devon Notes and Queries.
- Daw (John) REMINISCENCES OF SIR JOHN DAW covering the period 1866-1957. Illusts, 84pp, original cloth boards, slightly marked. Printed for Private Circulation. 1957. £15.00
* Presentation inscription from the author on front endpaper, and with a signed letter from him tipped in.
- Devonshire Association REPORT AND TRANSACTIONS OF THE DEVONSHIRE ASSOCIATION For the Advancement of Science, Literature and Art. [Tavistock, 1949.] Volume 81. Illusts, xiii + 448pp, original card covers, few marks to rear cover, page edges slightly spotty and dusty. Torquay: Devonshire Press. 1949. £12.00
* Includes articles:- Stannary of Tavistock; Geology of Milber Down; Bideford Steamers; St. Mary Tavy Parish Registers; Caves of Chudleigh; Banking Crises of 1825 in S.W. Devon; Cave Dwelling Bats in South Devon, etc.
- Etherton (Colonel P.T) and Barlow (Vernon) TEMPESTUOUS ISLE The Story of Lundy. Maps, plates, 144pp, original cloth, worn and partly torn dustwrapper, now protected with a loose plastic sleeve, inscription to front endpaper. First edition, Lutterworth Press, London: 1950. £6.00
- Exeter Registers, transcribed and edited by W.U. Reynell-Upham and H. Tapley-Soper. THE REGISTERS OF BAPTISMS, MARRIAGES AND BURIALS OF THE CITY OF EXETER. Volume I. The Registers of the Cathedral. xi + 410pp, early binders cloth, top outer hinge partly split, though sound. Exeter: The Devon and Cornwall Record Society, 1910. £45.00
* Includes a comprehensive index of peoples names and places.
- Harper (Charles G) THE SOUTH DEVON COAST. Numerous full page and textual illusts, xiii + 304pp, slightly rubbed to edges, in scribble to top corner of front pastedown, occasional light foxing. First edition, London: Chapman and Hall, Ltd., 1907. £36.00
- Hingeston-Randolph (Rev. F.C) THE REGISTERS OF WALTER BRONESCOMBE, (A.D. 1257 - 1280). and PETER QUIVIL (A.D. 1280 - 1291). Bishop of Exeter. With some Records of the Episcopate of Bishop Thomas de Bytton (A.D. 1292 - 1307); also the Taxation of Pope Nicholas IV. (A.D. 1291 - (Diocese of Exeter). With 2 folding facsimiles and 1 other plate, xxxviii + 504pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, few spots to frontis, inner hinges slightly pulled, few short tears to head of spine. With the armorial bookplate of R.S. Ferguson, Chancellor of Carlisle. London: George Bell and Sons, Exeter: Henry S. Eland, 1889. £20.00
- Jacson (Colonel M) THE RECORD OF A REGIMENT OF THE LINE Being A Regimental History of the 1st Battalion Devonshire Regiment During the oar War. Plates, lacks the 2 maps, which appear never to have been bound in, 226 + 2 pages of publisher's adverts, original cloth, partly faded, some spotting to boards, contemporary inscription on the front endpaper. London: Hutchinson & Co., 1908. £16.00
- Knowling (Philip) & Pengelly (Lee) DEVON'S BEAUTIFUL BUILDINGS Numerous coloured photographic illusts, 144pp, oblong 4to, dustwrapper. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 2003. £12.00
- Newton (Robert) EIGHTEENTH CENTURY EXETER. With 7 plates, xiii + 192pp, spine of dustwrapper slightly faded. University of Exeter: 1984. £12.00
- Oliver (Rev. George) THE HISTORY OF THE CITY OF EXETER. With a short Memoir of the Author, and an Appendix of Documents and Illustrations. Folding plan, xiv + 337pp, original cloth, rubbed to edges, head and foot of spine rubbed, lacks front endpaper, front inner hinge weak, occasional light foxing. Exeter: William Roberts, 1861. £40.00
- Pike (John) TALL SHIPS IN TORBAY. A Brief Maritime History. Illusts, 142pp, original pictorial card covers. Ex Libris Press, Bradford on Avon: 1986. £8.00
- Ravenhill (Mary R) and Rowe (Margery M) EARLY DEVON MAPS. Maps of lands and estates in Devon before 1700. Coloured reduced facsimiles of 26 manuscript maps, 58pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Friends of Devon Archives, Exeter: 2000. £8.00
- Reichel (Rev. O.J) THE HUNDRED OF TIVERTON IN EARLY TIMES. The Devonshire Association. 31pp, original printed wraps. Plymouth: W. Brendon and Son, 1928. £18.00
- Reichel (Rev. Oswald) THE HUNDREDS OF BRAUNTON, SHIRWELL AND FREMINGTON IN EARLY TIMES. The Devonshire Association. Extra Volume. 136pp, original wraps, handwritten title on faded spine, spine slightly rubbed to head and foot, private library labels to covers. Torquay: The Devonshire Press. 1935. £15.00
- Roberts (Stephen K) RECOVERY AND RESTORATION IN AN ENGLISH COUNTY: Devon Local Administration 1646 - 1670. Textual maps, 232pp, dustwrapper, top corners of boards slightly bumped. University of Exeter: 1985. £10.00
- Shears (R.T) CONSERVATION OF DEVONSHIRE COTTAGES. Thin roy 8vo, illusts, large portion torn from dustwrapper, few tears to dustwrapper, ex-lib. with stamp and residue of labels to front endpapers, stamp and numbers to verso of title-page. Gazette Printing Services, Bideford: (1968) £8.00
- Vancouver (Charles) GENERAL VIEW OF THE AGRICULTURE OF DEVON; With Observations on the Means of its Improvement. Drawn up for the Consideration of the Board of Agriculture. Folding map, plates, folding tables, xii + 479pp, dustwrapper. Originally published 1808. Reprinted, David and Charles, Newton Abbot: 1969. £15.00
- Warne (Arthur) CHURCH AND SOCIETY IN EIGHTEENTH CENTURY DEVON. Illusts, 184pp, original cloth, worn dustwrapper, lacks front endpaper, pencil notes to rear endpaper and pastedown. First edition. David & Charles, Newton Abbot: 1969. £9.00
* 'through the Charity Schools and later through the Sunday Schools, it shouldered almost alone the burden of providing education for the poor....'
- Wasley (Gerald) DEVON AT WAR 1939-1945. Illusts, maps, 202pp, 4to, dustwrapper. Reprinted, Devon Books, Tiverton: 2000. £8.00
A further selection of DEVON Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Benfield (Eric) THE TOWN OF MAIDEN CASTLE. Illusts, 70pp, dustwrapper. Robert Hale, London: 1947. £12.00
- Calkin (J. Bernard) ANCIENT PURBECK. An account of the geology of the Isle of Purbeck and its early inhabitants. Illusts, 62pp, original pictorial card covers. The Friary Press, Dorchester: 1968. £5.00
- Camden (William), translated by Edmund Gibson DORSET. Extracted from Camden's Britannia. Lacks map, text pages, complete, numbered 43-54, folio, disbound. London: R. Ware.... 1753. £14.00
- Damon (Robert) GEOLOGY OF WEYMOUTH, PORTLAND, and the Coast of Dorsetshire, from Swanage to Bridport-on-the-Sea: With Natural History and Archaeological Notes. With a coloured geological map, sections and illusts, 12mo, later cloth, ex-ref. lib with number to foot of spine, and stamp to title-page, short split to one fold of section. New and Enlarged Edition. Weymouth: R.F. Damon, 1884. £16.00
- Dewar (H.S.L), editor THE THOMAS RACKETT PAPERS 17th - 19th Centuries. With 7 illusts, 97pp, folio, paper wraps, label on top wrap. Publication No 3 of the Dorset Record Society. Dorchester: 1965. £15.00
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1931. Volume 53. With illusts, cvi + 306pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1932. £15.00
* Includes articles:- Religious Houses of Dorset; Excavations at Jordan Hill; Outer Bounds of Cranborne Chase; Dorset Deeds, etc.
- Fowles (John) LYME REGIS CAMERA. With 145 illusts, 4to, original pictorial card covers. Dovecote Press, Wimborne: 1990. £9.00
- Medlycott (M.T) and Sugg (G) SANDFORD ORCAS a village history. Illusts, 106pp, folio, pictorial laminated boards, ex-lib. with stamp to title, and number to base of spine. Dorset County Library, 1987. £10.00
- Raymond (Stuart) DORSET A Genealogical Bibliography. v + 113pp, original printed card covers, ex-lib, with stamps to title-page, and signs where label removed, small area rubbed on top cover. Federation of Family History Societies, Birmingham: 1991. £6.00
- Society of Dorset Men THE DORSET YEAR BOOK. 1930. Numerous illusts, 287 +(3) pages of adverts, original printed wraps slightly worn, fore-edge margins of first couple of leaves waterstained. Society of Dorset Men in London, London: 1930. £10.00
* Includes articles:- Sir James Thornhill; Thomas Hardy; Dorset Regiments, etc.
- Swindall (A.T) and Vizard (G.L), and others STRUCTURE PLAN FOR SOUTH EAST DORSET. Consultative Document. Maps, plans, diagrams, 301 + 16pp, lacks 'Key Diagram' from pocket at rear, small folio, original cloth backed card covers. Dorset County Council, April, 1977. £8.00
A further selection of DORSET Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Baddeley (W. St. Clair) HISTORY OF THE CHURCH OF ST. MARY, AT PAINSWICK. With 11 plates, vii + (1) + 70pp, sm 4to, original buckram, stitching broken, almost loose in case, water stain to top board, internally clean. Exeter: William Pollard and Co. Ltd., 1902. £14.00
- Bennett (James) THE HISTORY OF TEWKESBURY. With 10 illusts, 456pp, early full calf, raised bands, spine gilt tooled, crudely recased, resulting in a gap between spine and boards, later endpapers, covers rubbed, signs where tape was once in place across spine to hold it in place, some foxing, early name to title-page. Tewkesbury: Printed by James Bennett. 1830. £35.00
* The list of subscribers accounts for 305 copies.
- Bick (David) THE GLOUCESTER & CHELTENHAM TRAMROAD and the Leckhampton Quarry Lines. Maps, illusts, 92pp, original pictorial card covers. Second Edition enlarged, The Oakwood Press, Headingon: 1987. £6.00
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, edited by Sir John Maclean TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1888. Volume 12. Part 1 of 2 only. Illusts, 187pp, original wraps, spine faded. Bristol: C.T. Jefferies, 1888. £10.00
* Includes articles:- Architecture of Avening Church; Manor and Advowson of Clifford Chambers; Apse of Deerhurst Church, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, edited by C.S. Taylor TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY. For 1908. Volume 31. Part 1 of 2. Illusts, 206pp, untrimmed in the original printed wraps, spine faded. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith, (1909) £12.00
* Includes articles:- Early Connection Between Glamorgan and Gloucestershire; Monumental Effigies: Rural Deaneries of Forest (North) and Fairford; Gloucestershire Mediaeval Libraries, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, edited by Roland Austin TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1924. Volume 46. Illusts, 403 + 22pp, original wraps, portion missing from head of spine, slightly shaken. Titus Wilson, Kendal: 1925. £22.00
* Includes articles:- Priory Mill of Stanley St. Leonard; Water Mill in Stonehouse; Scratch Dials in Gloucestershire; Glass in Tewkesbury Abbey; Gloucester Consistory Court; The Stonehouse Ham, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, edited by Roland Austin TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1935. Volume 57. Illusts, plans some of which are folding, 307 + 23pp, original wraps, paper on spine partly split, small splash mark on top wrap. Gloucester: Printed for the Society by John Bellows, 1936. £16.00
* Includes articles:- Brays of Great Barrington; Saxon Gloucestershire; Gloucestershire in the Pipe Rolls; Kempsford; Roman Finds at Bourton on the Water; Cirencester Election in 1695, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, edited by Joan Evans and H.S. Grace TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1956. Volume 77. Illusts, 2 folding plans, folding pedigree, 206pp, original wraps, ink note on top wrap. Gloucester: Printed for the Society by John Bellows, 1959. £11.00
* Includes articles:- Littledean Camp; Miles of Gloucester, Earl of Hereford; Paston family of Horton; Edmund Burke's Bristol friends, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, edited by H.S. Gracie TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1962. Volume 81. Illusts, 244pp, roy 8vo, original wraps. Cheltenham: Printed for the Society by John Bellows, 1963. £6.00
* Includes articles:- Bristol Port, Plans and Improvement Schemes; Lionel Cranfield and the Rectory of Campden; Brimpsfield Church, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1983. Volume 101. Illusts, 223pp, original wraps. Gloucester: 1983. £7.00
* Includes articles:- Condicote Henge Monument; Frocester Court Roman Villa; Tanners' Hall, Gloucester; Malaria in Gloucestershire; Dissent in Gloucestershire, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, John Jurica editor TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1996. Volume 114. Illusts, 347pp, roy 8vo, original wraps. Alan Sutton, Stroud: 1997. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Welshbury Hill Fort; Ending of Cotswold Games; Excavations at West Lane, Kemble; Natton Seventh Day Baptist Chapel, Aschurch, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, John Jurica editor TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1997. Volume 115. Illusts, 347pp, roy 8vo, original wraps. J.W. Arrowsmith, Bristol: 1998. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Early Reformers and Reformation Controversy in Bristol and south Glos; Excavations at Holm Hill; Chipping Campden Altar Hangings; Colonel Edward Cooke of Highnam (c.1622-1684) and Henry Somerset, First Duke of Beaufort, etc.
- Crawley-Boevey (Arthur W) THE 'PERVERSE WIDOW' BEING PASSAGES FROM THE LIFE OF CATHERINE WIFE OF WILLIAM BOEVEY ESQ. of Flaxley Abbey in the County of Glos. With Genealogical Notes on that Family and others connected therewith. Photographic & other plates, xvi + 365pp, 4to, original cloth, slightly rubbed, hand written letter from the author pasted to the front endpaper. London: Longmans, Green and Co., 1898. £120.00
- Delderfield (E.R) WEST COUNTRY HISTORIC HOUSES AND THEIR FAMILIES. Volume 3. The Cotswolds Area. Illusts, 124pp, roy 8vo, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front endpaper. First edition, David & Charles, Newton Abbot: 1973. £6.00
- Elrington (C.R), editor ABSTRACTS OF FEET OF FINES RELATING TO GLOUCESTERSHIRE 1300-1359. Gloucestershire Record Series Volumes 20. xix + 228pp, dustwrapper. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 2006. £25.00
- Fullbrook-Leggatt (L.E.W.O) ROMAN GLOUCESTER. (Glevum) 56pp, 12mo, original wraps, fore-edges slightly spotty. Reprinted, John Bellows, Gloucester: 1950. £4.00
- Gauntlett (G.H) CHARITY SCHEME, OF THE BAPTIST CHAPEL, TEWKESBURY. Sealed, 3rd, December, 1889. 8pp, original printed, spine partly split, staple rusty, pages loose. Printed by Browett, Tewkesbury: 1889. £12.00
- Gibbs (J. A) A COTSWOLD VILLAGE. Or Country Life and Pursuits in Gloucestershire. With Illustrations. xx + 431pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed, small portion missing from head of spine, cloth partly faded. Third Edition, John Murray, London: 1903. £9.00
* The author lived at Ablington, near Bibury.
- Gloucestershire Parish Registers, edited by W.P.W. Phillimore. GLOUCESTERSHIRE PARISH REGISTERS MARRIAGES. Volume 4. vi + (i) + 153pp, original buckram, partly faded, ex-reference library, with label to front endpaper, and occasional stamp. LIMITED TO 150 COPIES. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore and Co., 1898. £40.00
* Marriages celebrated in each Parish from the first entry up to the year 1812. Contains the Parishes of Hinton-on-the-Green, Aston Somerville, Kemerton, Lemington Parva, Buckland, Saintbury, Preston-upon-Stour, Stanton, Snowshill, Temple Guiting, Wormington, Childswickham, Weston Subedge, Guiting Power, Sutton-under-Brailes, and Todenham.
- Grundy (G.B) SAXON CHARTERS and Field Names of Gloucestershire. 142pp and 143-306pp, 2 parts in the original printed wraps, partly faded, small name in ink to top wraps. Published by the Council of the Bristol and Archaeological Society. 1935 & 1936. £40.00
- Heighway (Carolyn) DEERHURST ST. MARY AND GLOUCESTER ST. OSWALD TWO ANGLO-SAXON MINSTERS. Illusts, 8pp, original pictorial card covers. Revised and reprinted, The Friends of Deerhurst Church, 2001. £4.00
- Hodsdon (James), editor THE COURT BOOKS OF THE MANOR OF CHELTENHAM. 1692-1803. Gloucestershire Record Series Volume 9. With plate and 2 maps, xxxviii + 621pp, dustwrapper. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, Stroud: 2010. £25.00
- Johnson (Joan) TUDOR GLOUCESTERSHIRE. Illusts, viii + 184pp, original pictorial card covers. Alan Sutton and Gloucestershire County Library, 1985. £4.00
- Kelly (E.R) THE POST OFFICE KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE 1870. With folding map, pages numbered 453-812, halves of 2 leaves, being pages 595, 596, 597 and 598, have been cut away, small holes, affecting a few letters to the remaining portions, recent cloth, London: Printed and Published by Kelly and Co., 1870. £45.00
* This county section was originally bound with the counties of Shropshire, Herefordshire, and Bristol.
- Mann (Malcolm D) THE ROMAN VILLA AT WOODCHESTER Gloucestershire. An Account of the Roman Antiquities discovered at Woodchester, with special reference to the great "Orpheus" pavement. With 4 coloured plates, 8 pages of adverts + 16 + 8 pages of adverts, original printed wraps. 1963. £4.00
- Marshall (William) THE RURAL ECONOMY OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE; including its Dairy together with the Dairy Management of North Wiltshire; and the management of Orchards and Fruit Liquor, in Herefordshire. Volume 1 of 2 only. Lacks map, xxviii + 332pp, disbound. First edition, Gloucester: Printed by R. Raikes, 1789. £12.00
- Platts (A) and Hainton (G.H) EDUCATION IN GLOUCESTERSHIRE. A Short History. Illusts, 128pp, original cloth, partly faded. Published by Gloucestershire County Council 1954. £10.00
- Playne (Arthur Twisden) A HISTORY OF THE PARISHES OF MINCHINHAMPTON AND AVENING. With 24 plates, viii + 188pp, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges. First edition, Gloucester: John Bellows, 1915. £65.00
- Smith (Brian S), editor GLOUCESTERSHIRE HISTORICAL STUDIES 13. 63pp, small folio, original printed wraps. University of Bristol Department of Extra-Mural Studies, 1982. £10.00
* Includes articles on Gloucester Quay 1780-1820; Charlton Kings Wills 1547-1553; Poor School, Gloucester; Nursing in the Gloucester Union Workhouse Hospital, etc.
- Smith (Rev. Ernest F), Revised by Benson (Rev. E. Geoffrey) TEWKESBURY ABBEY. Illusts, 48pp, loose in the original pictorial wraps. Third edition, Printed and Published by R.A. Newman, Tewkesbury: 1936. £5.00
- Spence (Rose) FRAMPTON ON SEVERN. Portrait of a Victorian Village. Map endpapers, frontis and 63 illusts, x + 150pp, dustwrapper. Chichester: Phillimore, 2000. £12.00
- Wratten (Nigel) and Richards (Margaret), editor GLOUCESTERSHIRE HISTORICAL STUDIES 13. With 2 full-page plans, and 1 plan in text, 63pp, small folio, original printed wraps, ex-Bristol University label and stamp to verso of top wrap. University of Bristol Department of Extra-Mural Studies, 1982. £10.00
* Includes articles on The Poor School, Gloucester; Charlton Kings Wills 1547-1553; Tewkesbury Local Board of Health 1848 - 1853; The Cloth Mills, Painswick, etc.
A further selection of GLOUCESTERSHIRE Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Andrew (Martin) PHOTOGRAPHIC MEMORIES. FRANCIS FRITH'S SOMERSET. Numerous illusts, dustwrapper. Frith Book Company, Salisbury: 2000. £8.00
- Arlett (Mike) THE SOMERSET AND DORSET AT MIDFORD. Maps, diagrams, illusts, 112pp, dustwrapper. Millstream Books, Bath: 1986. £16.00
- Atthill (Robin) OLD MENDIP. With 42 plates, 7 line drawings and 7 maps, 204pp, dustwrapper, lacks front endpaper. Second impression, Dawlish: David and Charles, 1965. £8.00
- Bailey (Derrick Sherwin) WELLS MANOR OF CANON GRANGE. xxvii + 224pp, dustwrapper. Gloucester: Alan Sutton, 1985. £8.00
- Balch (H.E) MENDIP - The Great Cave of Wookey Hole. With 24 plates, vii + 108pp, 12mo, original cloth, dustwrapper slightly soiled and few tears to edges. Third Edition, Bristol: John Wright and Sons, London: Simpkin Marshall, 1947. £9.00
- Beisly (Philip) THE NORTHMARSH OF SOMERSET. Illusts, plans, 136pp, original pictorial card covers, corner of lower corner of rear board creased. Weston super Mare Heritage Centre, 1996. £6.00
* 'The Northmarsh is surrounded by the expanding towns of Weston super Mare, Clevedon and Nailsea... '
- Brooke (Leslie) YESTERDAY'S YEOVIL. A Sketchbook of Places Past. Numerous illusts, cr 4to, 140pp, dustwrapper. Numbered Limited Edition. Includes 2 page list of subscribers. Barracuda Books, Buckingham: 1989. £8.00
- Brown (Bryan J.H.) and Loosley (John) THE BOOK OF WESTON-SUPER-MARE. The Story of the Town's Past. Numerous illusts, cr 4to, 148pp, includes a 2 page list of subscribers, spine of dustwrapper slightly faded. First edition, Barracuda Books Ltd., Buckingham: 1979. £18.00
- Bulleid (Arthur) and Gray (H. St. George) THE GLASTONBURY LAKE VILLAGE. A Full Description of the Excavation and the Relics Discovered, 1892-1907. With plans, some of which are folding, and illusts. 2 volumes, xxvi + 351 and xl + pages numbered 353-724, 4to, original green buckram, gilt, t.e.g, boards slightly rubbed to edges, recased with old spines laid down, retaining the original endpapers, inner margins of 2 prelims, to volume 2, have some staining where cellotape once applied. First edition, Glastonbury Antiquarian Society, 1911-1917. £100.00
- Bush (Robin) A TAUNTON DIARY 1787 - 1987. Two centuries of gossip, scandal, success and calamity in darkest Somerset. Numerous illusts, 144pp, cr 4to, dustwrapper. Numbered Limited Edition. With 2 page 'Subscribers List'. Barracuda Books, Buckingham: 1988. £20.00
* Signed by the author on the title-page.
- Clive-Ponsonby-Fane (Charles) WE STARTED A STATELY HOME. Pedigree, illusts, viii + 142pp, original pictorial laminated boards. Privately published, Brympton d'Evercy, Yeovil: 1980. £10.00
- Clutton Union STATEMENTS OF THE ACCOUNTS OF THE CLUTTON UNION and of the Clutton Rural District Council, in the County of Somerset, for the Half-Year ended Lady-Day, 1909. Folding table, 64pp, 12mo, original printed wraps. Purnell and Sons, Paulton, Radstock and Midsomer Norton: 1909. £12.00
* Includes lists with names of 'Lunatics', 'List of Persons in Clutton Union Workhouse', 'List of Out-Door Poor', etc.
- Costen (M.D), editor WESLEYANS AND BIBLE CHRISTIANS IN SOUTH SOMERSET ACCOUNTS AND MINUTES, 1808 - 1907. xxvi + 387p, original cloth. Volume 78. Somerset Record Society. Taunton: 1984. £12.00
- Cunliffe (Barry) THE ROMAN BATHS. A Guide to the Baths and Roman Museum. Illusts, plans, original pictorial card covers. Bath Archaeological Trust, 1978. £4.00
- Dagnall (Jean), Elton (M.A), and others CLEVEDON PAST. More studies in the history of Clevedon. Illusts, plans, 90pp, original pictorial card covers. Re-printed, Clevedon Civic Society, 2000 £4.00
- Dallimore (Keith) EXPLORING COMBE DOWN. Illusts, maps, 26pp, original pictorial card covers. Reprinted, Millstream Books, Bath: 1996. £5.00
- Drayson (S), Eldridge (B) and Peirce (R) PARLIAMENTARY ELECTIONS IN THE BOROUGH OF TAUNTON 1800 - 74. Sponsored and directed by the History Department, Taunton School, Taunton, Somerset. 17 + 17 + 18 cyclostyled pages, on one side only, held by a metal clip through 2 punched holes, lower corner of the first 9 leaves damp stained, not affecting legibility. Taunton School, c.195- £9.00
- Earle (John) A GUIDE TO THE KNOWLEDGE OF BATH ANCIENT AND MODERN Frontispiece map, folding plan, lacks the large folding map at rear, vi + (iv) + 350pp, original cloth, few short splits to rear outer hinge, stitching strained to one section, one plan slightly foxed. London: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts and Green, Bath: S. Hayward, 1864. £30.00
* The large map is quite often missing as it is highly decorative with vignettes of many of the major buildings.
- Exmoor National Park EXMOOR NATIONAL PARK PLAN. Second Review 1991-1996. Plates, maps, diagrams, 132pp, 4to, original card covers, name on top cover. Exmoor National Park Authority, Dulverton: 1991. £7.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset.
- Haskell (Tony) BY WATERWAY TO TAUNTON A history of the Bridgwater and Taunton Canal and the River Tone navigation. Illusts, maps, plans, x + 145pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Somerset Books, Tiverton: 1994. £8.00
- Hendy (E.W) SOMERSET BIRDS and some other folk. Plates, illusts, in the text, 165pp, small portion torn from top of dustwrapper, crude repair to verso. Eyre & Spottiswoode, London: 1944. £5.00
- Hill-Cottingham (Dr Pat), Briggs (Derek), and others THE SOMERSET WETLANDS An Ever Changing Environment. Coloured illusts, 240pp, CD in pocket at rear, oblong 4to, dustwrapper. Somerset Books, Tiverton: 2006. £9.00
- Hurley (Jack) MURDER AND MYSTERY ON EXMOOR. Illusts, map, 72pp, original card covers, outer hinges slightly rubbed. Exmoor Press, Dulverton: 1972. £4.00
- Huxtable (Norma) THE LAST WORD ON EXMOOR. 139pp, dustwrapper. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 2001. £6.00
* 'For over thirty years Norma Huxtable has kept readers and listeners smiling with her inimitable tales of life on Exmoor as a full-time farmer's wife and summer landlady.' The farm is near Dulverton.
- King (Austin J) and Watts (B.H) THE MUNICIPAL RECORDS OF BATH. 1189 to 1604. Published with the approval of the Town Council and at the special request of the Bath Literary Society. Facsimile frontis, 63 + xlivpp, sm 4to, original card covers, later crude cloth spine, stitching loosening, cellotape on top cover, Bristol University labels to verso of top cover and front endpaper, London: Eliot Stock, Bath: James Davies, (1885) £14.00
- McGarvie (Michael), editor SIR STEPHEN GLYNNE'S CHURCH NOTES FOR SOMERSET. Illusts, xxxi + 400pp, dustwrapper. Somerset Record Society. Volume 82. Taunton: 1994. £20.00
- Meehan (J.F) A FEW OF THE FAMOUS INNS OF BATH AND DISTRICT. Illusts, 43pp, original printed wraps are loose. B. & J.F. Meehan, Bath: 1913. £12.00
- Poole (Sharon) WESTON-SUPER-MARE. A Pictorial History. With frontis and 181 photographic illusts, 4to, dustwrapper, small ownership sticker to title-page. Phillimore, Chichester: 1995. £12.00
- Roberts (Anthony) SACRED GLASTONBURY: A Defence of Myth Defiled. Anti-Feminist Papers No 1. Illusts, 15pp, original pictorial card covers. Reprinted, Zodiac House Publications, Glastonbury: 1991. £4.00
- Rogers (T.E) RECORDS OF YARLINGTON: Being the History of a Country Village. 94pp, sm 4to, uncut, original cloth, ex-university lib. with label, and small stamp to front pastedown, presentation inscription to front endpaper. First edition, London: Elliott Stock, 1890. £20.00
- Shillibeer (H.B) THE ANCIENT CUSTOMS OF THE MANOR OF TAUNTON DEANE; Collected from the Records of the Manor.... To which are prefixed, some Introductory Observations on Copyholds In General, and Remarks on Those of This Manor.... vii + 132 + xxixpp, unbound, untrimmed in the original unstitched sections, title and 3 leaves slightly dusty and marked, small hole and neat repair to last leaf. Printed by T. Parkhouse, Tiverton, for the Author: 1821. £18.00
- Shilton (Dorothy O), and Holworthy (Richard), editor WELLS CITY CHARTERS. Folding plate, xxxii + 231pp, original cloth, lacks 1" from head of spine, the rest of spine almost loose. Somerset Record Society Volume 46. Printed for Subscribers Only. 1932. £12.00
- Simpson (Andrew) ILLUSTRATED REFERENCE BOOK AND GUIDE Covering CHARD - ILMINSTER AND DISTRICT. Illusts, maps, adverts, 114pp, plastic spiral binding. First edition, Forum Books, Chard: 1987. £10.00
- Smith (D.I), and Drew (D.P), compiled and edited by LIMESTONES AND CAVES OF THE MENDIP HILLS. With 36 plates, textual illusts, 424pp, small nick to head of dustwrapper. Newton Abbot: David and Charles, Published for The British Cave Research Association. 1975. £10.00
- Somersetshire Archaeological Society SOMERSETSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY VOLUME 75. Proceedings during the year 1929. Illusts, lxxxii + 151 + pages numbered 65-96 being part 3 of Saxon Charters of Somerset by Grundy + pages numbered 65-94 being part 3 of Lichens of Somerset by Watson, original wraps are slightly dusty. Taunton: 1930. £15.00
* Includes articles:- The Heron in Somerset; Weston-super-Mare; Armour in Somerset Churches, etc.
- Somerset Year Book, edited by Douglas Macmillan SOMERSET YEAR BOOK. 1922. No XXI (21). Illusts, adverts, 104 + pages numbered 89-96 misbound + 105-112, original printed wraps, amateur tape repair to foot of spine. Society of Somerset Folk in London, 1922. £11.00
* Includes articles:- Hunting in West Somerset; Somerset Artists; The Wessex Dragon; Songs of Somerset; Jack White's Gibbet; Witchcraft in Somerset; Dialect Stories, etc.
- Somerset Year Book, edited by Douglas Macmillan. SOMERSET YEAR BOOK. 1926. No XXV (25). Illusts, adverts, 148pp, original printed wraps, small portion chipped from foot of spine. Folk Press, London: 1926. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Quirke's Almshouses, Minehead; Dialect Stories; Woodspring Priory; Farleigh Castle; Camelot, etc.
- Somerset Year Book, edited by Douglas Macmillan. 1928. No XXVI (27). Illusts, adverts, 154pp, original printed wraps. Folk Press, London: 1928. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Taunton Pageant; Stuckeys Bank; Cheese of West Pennard; Weston-super-Mare; East Brent, etc.
- Somerset Year Book, edited by H.W. Fortescue Long SOMERSET YEAR BOOK. 1934. No XXXIII (33). Illusts, adverts, 132pp, original printed wraps. Society of Somerset Folk, 1934. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Superstition in the West; Orchardleigh; Turnpikes in Somerset; Fussell's Ironworks of Mells; Robert Blake, etc.
- Somerset Year Book, edited by H.W. Fortescue Long SOMERSET YEAR BOOK. 1935. No XXXIV (34). Illusts, adverts, 134pp, original printed wraps, rear wrap loose. Society of Somerset Folk, 1935. £8.00
* Includes articles on: - King Arthur; Old Somerset Farm Houses; Village of Congresbury, etc.
- Stacy (N.E) HENRY OF BLOIS AND THE LORDSHIP OF GLASTONBURY. 33pp, original wraps. Oxford University Press, February 1999. £4.00
* Article contained in The English Historical Review vol. 114, No 455.
- Taylor (Rev. C.S) NORTHERN BRANCH OF THE SOMERSET ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY. Paper on their District comprised in that of the Long Ashton Rural District Council from the Romans down to the Reformation. Read at a Meeting, at Bourton Grange, Flax Bourton. 16pp, lacks wraps. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith, 1904. £4.00
- Ward, Lock & Co A PICTORIAL AND DESCRIPTIVE GUIDE TO BATH, With Historical Notes, Descriptions of the Baths.... Excursions to Cheddar, Wells, Glastonbury, Bristol, Frome, etc. Lacks plans, illusts, 216 + 32 + 50 pages of adverts, damp marks to rubbed and partly faded original cloth boards, short split to rear outer hinge. Entirely New Edition, London: Ward, Lock & Co., c.190- £5.00
A further selection of SOMERSET Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Baker (T.H) NOTES ON ST. MARTIN'S CHURCH AND PARISH. (Salisbury) With 3 plates, viii + 167pp, prelims and rear endpapers browned and spotty, original cloth, rubbed to edges, portion of spine torn across and held at one hinge, ex-lib. with label to front pastedown, stamps to title-page, front endpaper torn across, and to last leaf. Salisbury: Brown and Co., 1906. £4.00
- Beckinsale (R.P), editor THE TROWBRIDGE WOOLLEN INDUSTRY As Illustrated by The Stock Books of John and Thomas Clark 1804 - 1824. With 2 plates, xxxv + 249pp, original cloth. Volume 6. Wiltshire Records Branch. Originally published, 1951. Reprinted Guildford: 1973. £12.00
- Britton (John) MEMOIR OF JOHN AUBREY, embracing his Autobiographical Sketches, A Brief Review of His Personal and Literary Merits and an Account of His Works; with Extracts from His Correspondence.... Frontis, xii + 131pp, 4to, original cloth, partly faded and slightly rubbed, rear outer hinge partly split, though sound, ex-lib. with small stamp to prelim, and label to front pastedown. Published by the Wiltshire Topographical Society. First edition. 1845. £25.00
- Bushell (T.L) THE SAGE OF SALISBURY: THOMAS CHUBB 1679-1747. Frontis, 159pp, dustwrapper. First edition, Philosophical Library, New York: 1967. £7.00
- Cunnington (Mrs M.E), and Godard (Rev. E.H), compiled by CATALOGUE OF ANTIQUITIES IN THE MUSEUM of the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society at Devizes. Part II. Numerous illusts, xiv + 294pp, original paper boards, top outer hinge split at head, titled in ink on spine. Published by the Society at the Museum. 1934. £10.00
* This is an enlarged edition of the work originally published in 1911.
- Davis (Rev. W.H) ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO AVEBURY. With 6 plates, 28pp, lacks wraps. C.H. Woodward, Devizes: 1901. £5.00
- Davis (Thomas) GENERAL VIEW OF THE AGRICULTURE OF THE COUNTY OF WILTSHIRE. Drawn up for the Board of Agriculture and Internal Improvement. Portrait frontis, coloured folding map, lacks the plate of the ram, xix + 268 + (10)pp, recent cloth, some off-setting, occasional light foxing, ownership label to front endpaper. Second edition, London: Sherwood, Neely, and Jones. 1813. £45.00
- Domesday Book, edited by Caroline and Frank Thorn WILTSHIRE Maps, dustwrapper. Phillimore, Chichester: 1979. £11.00
- Gillings (Mark), Peterson (Rick) and Pollard (Joshua) AN INTERIM REPORT ON EXCAVATIONS CARRIED OUT BY THE LONGSTONES PROJECT on the line of the West Kennet Avenue and the site of Falkner's Circle. Illusts, plans, diagrams, 18pp, small folio, original wraps, cloth spine. University of Leicester.... February 2003. £4.00
- Goldney (Frederick Hastings) RECORDS OF CHIPPENHAM Relating to the Borough From its Incorporation by Queen Mary, 1554.... Comprising Extracts From The Minute Books and Registers of Accounts &c. &c.... xxviii + 348pp, 4to, original cloth, rubbed to edges, few short splits to outer hinges, inner hinges pulled, small label pasted to top margin of title-page. For Presentation Only. London: Printed by Diprose, Bateman and Co., 1889. £28.00 --- See sample text
- Goldney (Frederick Hastings) A HISTORY OF FREEMASONRY IN WILTSHIRE. Including an Account of the Provincial Grand Lodge and its subordinate Lodges, and a Roll of the Grand Officers..... viii + 200pp, small 4to, original cloth, damped, bubbled, and rubbed, some marks to cloth, internally clean. For Presentation Only. London: Virtue and Co., 1880. £12.00
* Signed letter from the author loosely inserted.
- Heath (Frank R) WILTSHIRE. Plates, map endpapers, folding map, 336pp, sm 8vo, original cloth, partly faded. Fourth edition, Methuen & Co., 1918. £4.00
- Mee (Arthur) WILTSHIRE. Cradle of Our Civilisation. Plates, xi + 393pp, dustwrapper slightly ragged. Fourth impression, Hodder and Stoughton, London: 1950 £7.00
- Moffatt (Rev. J.M) THE HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MALMESBURY, and of its adjacent Abbey.... together with Memoirs of eminent Natives, and other distinguished Characters who were connected with the Town or Abbey: to which is added an Appendix. With a frontis, 2 other plates, a plan, and a folding Table of the Charities, 249 + errata, later cloth, ex-lib., with label to front pastedown, and a couple of stamps, number to foot of spine, table laid down on linen, tear to table repaired to verso, occasional light foxing, stain partly affecting edge of one plate and a couple of leaves. Two early photographs of the Abbey pasted to a front blank. Tetbury: Printed (for the Editor) by J.G. Goodwyn. 1805. £27.00
- Phillimore's Parish Register Series THE MARRIAGE REGISTERS OF MARKET LAVINGTON, alias Lavington Forum, 1673 to 1812. Pages numbered 63 to 91, complete, original cloth with paper label on top board. Phillimore. (1909) £12.00
- Piggott (Stuart) WILLIAM STUKELEY An Eighteenth-Century Antiquary. With frontis and 6 plates, xvi + 228pp, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper, owners name and owners label to front pastedown. First edition, Oxford at the Clarendon Press, 1950. £8.00
* Antiquary and author of works on Stonehenge and Avebury.
- Pugh (Ralph B), editor WILTSHIRE GAOL DELIVERY AND TRAILBASTON TRIALS 1275 - 1306. ix + 273pp, original cloth, partly faded. Impression of 475 Copies. Wiltshire Records Branch Volume 33. Devizes: 1978. £12.00
- Watkin (Bruce) A HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Cartography and Illustrations by Jacqueline McCain and Tom Murrow. Maps, plates, textual illusts, 128pp, dustwrapper. Darwen Finlayson, Beaconsfield: 1989. £8.00
- Williams (Alfred) ROUND ABOUT THE UPPER THAMES. With Four Photographs and a Map. 319pp, original cloth partly faded, pencil notes to rear endpapers, occasional light foxing, small ownership label to front endpaper. First edition. London: Duckworth & Co. 1922. £16.00
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE. Volume 5. No XV. Plates, pages numbered, 265-394pp, original printed wraps. Devizes: Henry Bull, March, 1859. £6.00
* Includes articles on Broughton Gifford; Bradford-on-Avon; Britton's Monument at Norwood Cemetery, etc.
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE. Volume 10. Plates, folding pedigree, iv + 328 + lpp, contemporary half calf, marbled boards, rubbed to edges, lacks approx 2" from foot of spine, top board almost loose. Devizes: Henry Bull, 1867. £20.00
* Includes articles on Excavations at Avebury; Duke of Wellington and Lord Nelson; Roman station at Baydon; Ambresbury Monastery; Barrow diggings at Collingbourne Ducis, etc.
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE. Volume 18. Nos LII, LIII, LIV. Plates, in the original 3 parts, 132pp and 133-256 and 257-384pp, all in the original wraps, few tears to wraps, two spines chipped to head and foot. Devizes: Henry Bull, October 1878-November 1879. £20.00
* Includes articles on Sheriffs of Wiltshire; Francis, Fifth Duke of Somerset; Black Friars of Wiltshire; Bishops of Old Sarum; Nuns at Amesbury; Parish of Yatesbury; Avebury, etc.
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE, Volume 20. No LX. Plates, pages numbered 237-348pp, lacks rear wrap and spine, few tears and one repaired with tape to top wrap, occasional pencil underscoring, occasional foxing. Devizes: H.F. Bull, November 1882. £7.00
* Includes articles:- Edington Monastery; Bradford-on-Avon; A Barrow on Overton Hill, etc.
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE. Volume 47. No CLXV. Plates, pages numbered ii + 447-582pp, original printed wraps. Devizes: Henry Bull, December, 1936. £7.00
* Includes articles on Portway at Newton Tony; Pond Barrows; Enclosure on Boscombe Down, etc.
A further selection of WILTSHIRE Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Adams (Brian) PROJECTIONS AND ORIGINS collected writings of Brian Adams. Edited by Roger Hellyer and Chris Higley. Plates, diagrams, (iv) + 116pp, original card covers. London: The Charles Close Society, 2006. £10.00
- Allen (N.V) SOMERSET AND EXMOOR GAZETTEER. v + 210pp, 4to, original cloth backed paper wraps. Harry Galloway, Weston-super-Mare: 1996. £7.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset.
- Atkinson (R.L) COPPER AND COPPER MINING. Shire Album 201. Illusts, 32pp, original pictorial card covers. Shire Publications, Aylesbury: 1987. £4.00
- Barton (D.B) A HISTORY OF COPPER MINING IN CORNWALL AND DEVON. Illusts, maps, 98pp, original pictorial card covers, partly faded. Third edition, Truro: D. Bradford Barton, 1978. £10.00
- Beddington (Winifred G) and Christy (Elsa B) IT HAPPENED IN HAMPSHIRE Doings, Sayings, and Interests, Past and Present. Collected from Villages in Hampshire by Members of the Hampshire Federation of Women's Institutes. Signed by Beddington on the half-title. 222pp, paper wraps. The Hampshire Federation of Women's Institute, Winchester: (1937) £5.00
- Binding (Hilary) EXMOOR 40 YEARS ON. For the Exmoor National Park Authority in Celebration of the first Forty Years of the Exmoor National Park. Illusts, 102pp, small 4to, original pictorial card covers. Exmoor Books, Tiverton: 1994. £4.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset.
- Binding (Hilary), editor THE CHANGING FACE OF EXMOOR. A Changing Community. Illusts, 105pp, small 4to, original pictorial card covers. Exmoor Books, Tiverton: 1995. £5.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset.
- Bonham-Carter (Victor) THE ESSENCE OF EXMOOR. Illusts, map, 200pp, dustwrapper. The Exmoor Press, Dulverton: 1991. £6.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset.
- Bridgnorth District SOUTH SHROPSHIRE ELECTIONS, 1865 AND 1868. Bridgnorth District. COPY OF THE POLLS. Candidates in 1865. Colonel The Hon. Percy E. Herbert, Sir Baldwin Leighton, Bart. Robert Jasper More, Esq. Candidates in 1868. Robert Jasper More, Esq. Major-Gen. The Right Hon. Percy E. Herbert, Col. Edward Corbett. 26pp, 12mo, unbound, stitched as issued, title-page slightly dusty. London: Haverson & Martin, (1868) £35.00
- Burt (Roger), Waite (Peter) and Burnley (Ray) DEVON AND SOMERSET MINES. Metalliferous and Associated Minerals 1845-1913. 136pp, original pictorial card covers, spine slightly faded. University of Exeter and The Northern Mine Research Society, 1984. £9.00
- Camp (Anthony J), editor AN INDEX TO THE WILLS PROVED IN THE PREROGATIVE COURT OF CANTERBURY 1750-1800. Volume 5. N - Sh. 259pp, original card covers. London: Society of Genealogists. 1992. £12.00
- Collings (A.G) ALONG THE SOUTH WEST WAY. Part I. Minehead to Bude. 184pp, dustwrapper. Tabb House, Padstow: 1985. £4.00
- Collins (J.H) A HANDBOOK TO THE MINERALOGY OF CORNWALL AND DEVON, with instructions for their discrimination, and copious tables of localities. 10 plates showing 246 figs. of crystals. 72 + 108 + [x]pp, dustwrapper. Originally published 1871, Reprinted Truro: D. Bradford Barton, 1969. £15.00
- Crockford's CROCKFORD'S CLERICAL DIRECTORY FOR 1905. Being a Statistical Book of Reference for Facts Relating to the Clegy andthe Church; with A fuller Index relating to the Parishes and Benefices of England and Wales and Ireland and to the Charges, Missions, &c., of Scotland and the Colonies.... Pages 5-44 of adverts,+ clxxii +2154pp, disbound, lacks first two leaves of adverts, last leaf partly browned, and with portions torn from margin. Horace Cox, London: 1905. £28.00
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES. Volume 7. Part 6 of 7 only. With 36 plates, pages numbered 193-224.... Bound with.... Cresswell (Beatrix F) NOTES ON CHURCHES OF DEANERY OF KENN, DEVON. With 4 plates, pages numbered 97-128, original printed wraps, partly faded. James G. Commin. Exeter: April, 1913. £4.00
* Includes articles:- The Luppitt Font; Periam Pole; Dial on Bampton Church; Harris family of Wortham and Pickwell; John Bampfylde, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 15. Part 8 of 8 only. With title-page and list of plate for volume, pages numbered 337-394, complete, original printed wraps. James G. Commin, Exeter: October, 1929. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Thomas Newcomen; Harcourt family of Bridgetown, Totnes; Smith of Thornecombe; Hill family pedigrees, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 23. Part 2 of 12 only. Pages numbered 33-64, complete, original printed wraps, with the signature of E. Lega-Weekes on front wrap, with occasional marginalia by her. James Townsend, Exeter: April, 1947. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Gabriel Donne, Abbot of Buckfastleigh; Giffard family; Staverton on the Dart; Extracts from the Powderham MSS, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES. Volume 31. Part 1 of 8 only. Plate, pages numbered 1-31, original printed wraps, small stamp to top wrap. Torquay: January, 1968. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Otterton Priory and St Michael's Mount; Cornish crosses at Trevivian, Davidstow; Chapel Carn Brea, St. Just in Penwith; Honiton Inns and Taverns. etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 32. Part 1 of 9 only. Pages numbered 1-32, complete, original printed card covers. Maslands Limited, Tiverton: Spring, 1971. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Tidemills in Devon and Cornwall; Churchwardens' Accounts of Luttleham with Exmouth, 1628-1760; Haytor Granite Quarries, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 32. Part 6 of 9 only. Pages numbered 160-192, complete, original printed card covers, signs where small label removed from top cover. Maslands Limited, Tiverton: Winter, 1972. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Field Cultivation in Culmstock; Cornish Literary Institute in 19th Century; St. Teath's Tithes - 1295; Broadwoodwiger forgeries; Origin of Name "Pascoe", Descent of Manor of Wollacombe; Honour of Marshwood; Family of Coswarth, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 34. Part 5 of 8 only. Pages numbered 177-216, complete, original card covers. Maslands Limited, Tiverton: Spring, 1980. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Unitarians in early 19th century Cornwall; Mining Activity and Cornish Migration at Mary Tavy; Robert Stephen Hawker; Yealmpton Pauper Apprentices; Highways of Ilsington, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 37. Part 9 of 10 only. Plate, pages numbered 281-312, complete, original card covers, some rust stains to inner margins. Maslands Limited, Tiverton: Spring, 1996. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Thomas Henry Lyon, Architect, of Middlecott, Ilsington; Medieval and Later Lead Tokens; Goldsmith's of Cornwall; John Fitz of Fitzford, Drake's Friend, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 39. Part 1 of 10 only. Illust, pages 1-32, complete, original printed card covers. Maslands Limited, Tiverton: Spring, 2002. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Puritan Gentry in Mid-Seventeenth Century Devon; Perryman Family and the Exeter Canal; Flays of East Devon; Tavistock Abbey, Plympton Priory, and Plymstock from the Twelfth to Fifteenth Centuries, etc.
- Dewey (Henry) SPECIAL REPORTS ON THE MINERAL RESOURCES OF GREAT BRITAIN. COPPER ORES OF CORNWALL AND DEVON. Diagrams, folding section, 76pp, original printed card covers. Limited to 200 copies. First published 1923, Reprinted Mining Facsimiles, Sheffield: n.d. £11.00
- Dickinson (H.W) JAMES WATT Craftsman & Engineer. With 17 plates, textual illusts, xvi + 207pp, short tear to top dustwrapper, and a small portion torn from top corner of rear of dustwrapper, wraps slightly spotty, few spots to page edges. Cambridge at the University Press: 1936. £9.00
- Eardley-Wilmot (Hazel) YESTERDAY'S EXMOOR. With 36 illusts and maps, xi + 259pp, very short tear to dustwrapper. Exmoor Books. 1990. £10.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset.
- Evered (Philip) STAGHUNTING WITH THE DEVON AND SOMERSET 1887-1901. An Account of the Chase of the Wild Red Deer On Exmoor. Illustrated by H.M. Lomas. Illusts, 378pp, recent cloth, lower corner of top board bruised, old spine laid down, private library label to front pastedown. London: Chatto and Windus. Exeter: James G. Commin, 1902. £40.00
- Gibson (Jeremy) and Dell (Alan) TUDOR AND STUART MUSTER ROLLS. A Directory to holdings in the British Isles. 40pp, original pictorial card covers. Federation of Family History Societies, Birmingham: 1991. £4.00
- Grinsell (L.V) THE ARCHAEOLOGY OF EXMOOR. Bideford Bay to Bridgwater. Plates, maps, textual illusts, 242pp, dustwrapper. First edition, David & Charles, Newton Abbot: 1970. £8.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset.
- Harris (Rendel) EGYPT ON EXMOOR. The After-Glow Essays Number Six. Diagrammatic map, 26pp, original paper boards. University of London Press, Ltd. 1934. £10.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset.
- Harris (W. Gregory) SKETCHES OF THE WEST COUNTREE. (Original Studies in Rural Life in Devon and Cornwall, in Verse and Prose.) Frontis loose, viii + 87pp, original printed card covers, portions missing from spine, staples rusty. Second edition, Exeter: Besley and Dalgleish, 1902. £5.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF DEVONSHIRE AND SOMERSETSHIRE 1930-1. Lacks map of Devon, with long tear to Somerset map, 47 (adverts) + xxvii + 1256 (adverts) + 28 + xvi + 803pp, original cloth, worn, dull and partly faded, top outer hinge partly split, inner hinges pulled. Kelly's Directories, London: 1930. £75.00
- Mason (Edmund J) and (Dorrien) AVON VILLAGES. Photographs by John H. Barrett. With 63 illustrations and a double-page map, 192pp, dustwrapper. Robert Hale, London: 1982. £8.00
- Moreland (Carl) and Bannister (David) ANTIQUE MAPS. Numerous illusts, 326pp, dustwrapper. Third Edition, Phaidon, Christie's Oxford: 1989. £6.00
- Morris's MORRIS'S BUSINESS DIRECTORY LONDON Suburban, Provincial and Foreign Trade Guide 1926. Sixty-Fourth Edition. x + 1503pp, 4to, original cloth, rubbed to edges, few marks to boards, inner hinges weak. London: J.R. Stacey, 1926. £95.00
- Owners of Land RETURN OF OWNERS OF LAND IN ANGLESEY IN 1873. Anglesey section giving names of owners who owned more than an acre, address, extent of lands, and rental. Folio, 8pp, disbound. First edition, London: George Edward Eyre and William Spottiswode for H.M.S.O. 1875. £14.00
- Owners of Land RETURN OF OWNERS OF LAND RUTLAND IN 1873. Rutland section giving names of owners who owned more than an acre, address, extent of lands, and rental. Folio, 5pp, disbound. First edition, London: George Edward Eyre and William Spottiswode for H.M.S.O. 1875. £8.00
- Owners of Land RETURN OF OWNERS OF LAND IN YORK, WEST RIDING, IN 1873. York, East Riding giving names of owners who owned more than an acre, address, extent of lands, and rental. Folio, 114pp, disbound. First edition, London: George Edward Eyre and William Spottiswode for H.M.S.O. 1875. £20.00
- Palmer (Derek) THE WEST COUNTRY AND THE SEA. Illusts, map, x + 246pp, small snag to head of spine of dustwrapper. Longmans, London: 1980. £6.00
- Pevsner (Nikolaus) NORTH SOMERSET AND BRISTOL. (Buildings of England Series) Photographic Illusts, double-page map, 510pp, original printed wraps, book block has a slight lean. First edition, Penguin Books, Harmondsworth: 1958. £6.00
- Ponting (K.G) THE WOOLLEN INDUSTRY OF SOUTH-WEST ENGLAND. With 55 illustrations, x + 214pp, spine of dustwrapper faded, some pencil underscoring to one page, small ownership label to front endpaper. First edition, Adams and Dart, Bath: 1971. £10.00
- Ravenhill (Mary R) and Rowe (Margery M), editors THE ACLAND FAMILY: Maps and Surveys 1720-1840. Coloured and blank and white plates, map, xv + 154pp, oblong 4to, original pictorial card covers. Devon and Cornwall Record Society, Exeter: 2006. £14.00
* The Aclands owned property in Cornwall, Devon and Somerset.
- Richardson (A.E) and Gill (C. Lovett) REGIONAL ARCHITECTURE OF THE WEST OF ENGLAND. Numerous illustrations, xx + 188pp, 4to, original cloth, partly faded, lightly rubbed to edges, couple of corners bruised, short tear to head of spine, cloth slightly creased on spine. First edition, London: Ernest Benn, Limited. 1924. £12.00
- Rogers (W.H.H) THE STRIFE OF THE ROSES AND DAYS OF THE TUDORS IN THE WEST. Illustrated by Roscoe Gibbs. Plates, (x) + 212 + (ii)pp, original cloth, 1" split to head of top outer hinge, small hole to rear outer hinge, cloth has few spots and is dull and lightly rubbed. First edition, J.G. Commin, Exeter: 1890. £18.00
- Smyth (John) NOTES ON CORNWALL AND NORTH DEVON. Rhyming Records of Recent Rambles. 108pp, sm 8vo, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges, page edges gilt. John Warren, Royston: and Paternoster and Hales, Hitchin: 1877. £22.00
- Windle (Bertam C.A) REMAINS OF THE PREHISTORIC AGE IN ENGLAND. (Antiquary's Book Series.) Illustrated by Edith Mary Windle. xv + 320pp + 40pp of publisher's adverts, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges and outer hinges, light spotting to prelims and fore-edges, publisher's adverts foxed. First Edition, Methuen & Co. 1904. £15.00
Back to the TopCopyright © Ambra Books - 2019. All rights reserved.
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :-
Tel:- ( 0117 ) 9076899
E-mail :- email@example.com
Bristol -- Bristol Clearance
Cornwall -- Cornwall Clearance
Devon -- Devon Clearance
Dorset -- Dorset Clearance
Gloucestershire -- Gloucestershire Clearance
Somerset -- Somerset Clearance
Wiltshire -- Wiltshire Clearance
General Local History -- General Clearance
GENERAL Local History :- Selection of items I wish to purchase
GENERAL Local History :- Selection of manuscripts, maps, ephemera etc. for sale from Lesley Aitchison.
AMBRA BOOKS Home page