WEST COUNTRY Clearance List 226/WC
History, Topography and Genealogy
odds, sods, and a few others
Duplicates of some items.
10% Discount for 2 items
20% Discount for 4 items
30% Discount for 6 items
40% Discount for 8 items
50% Discount for 10 items
Bristol -- Cornwall -- Devon -- Dorset -- Gloucestershire -- Somerset --
Wiltshire -- General (Includes a selection of other counties.)
This is a selection from my stock.
Please let me know if there are any other titles you are looking for.
Click on:- ORDERING details
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :- ( 0117 ) 9076899
Postage, packing and insurance are extra.
When ordering from this list please note item No., Author, and Title.
Payment can be made by either sterling cheque, or by bank transfer.
Prices are nett.
- Barry (Jonathan), editor THE DIARY OF WILLIAM DYER BRISTOL IN 1762. Frontis, 246pp, original cloth, dustwrapper. Volume 64. Bristol Record Society. 2012. £15.00
- Bettey (Joseph) THE SUPPRESSION OF THE RELIGIOUS HOUSES IN BRISTOL. Illusts, double-page plan, 30pp, original pictorial card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1990. £4.00
- Bristol Grammar School BRISTOL GRAMMAR SCHOOL 1532-1932. Presented by the Governors as a Souvenir of the Four Hundredth Anniversary of the Foundation of the Bristol Grammar School March 17th, 1932. 15 plates, 13pp, original card covers. Henry Hill Ltd., Bristol: 1932 £15.00
- Bristol Naturalists' Society PROCEEDINGS OF THE BRISTOL NATURALISTS' SOCIETY Fourth Series, Volume 7, Part 3. Plates, textual illusts, pages numbered 147-221, original printed wrappers. Arbroath: Printed for the Society, 1931. £4.00
* Includes articles on Wicken Fen; Migration of Birds; Bristol Insect Fauna, etc.
- Bristol Naturalists' Society, edited by T.E. Thompson 1982 PROCEEDINGS OF THE BRISTOL NATURALISTS' SOCIETY Volume 42. With textual illusts, 108pp, original printed wrappers. Printed for the Society. Bristol: Grenfell Printing, 1984. £4.00
* Includes the usual reports on the local geology, botany, ornithology, insects and fauna and papers on Breeding Waders; Impact of Coppicing, etc.
- Buchanan (R.A) and Williams (M) BRUNEL'S BRISTOL. Illusts, 111pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers, New and Revised edition, Redcliffe Press Ltd., Bristol: 2005. £4.00
- Clifton College CLIFTON COLLEGE. Charter and Bye-Laws. 61pp, full calf, title in gilt on top board, marbled endpapers. Leech and Taylor, Bristol: (1877) £25.00
- Gregor (Hugh) THE SS GREAT BRITAIN. Illusts, a few in colour, 32pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial wraps, small mark to a few outer margins. MacMillan Press, 1971. £10.00
- Hayden (Roger), editor THE RECORDS OF A CHURCH OF CHRIST IN BRISTOL, 1640 - 1687. (vi) + 315pp, original cloth. Volume 27. Bristol Record Society. 1974. £15.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF BRISTOL 1933. Lacks map, xxx + 1245pp, original cloth, spine faded, short tear to head of top outer hinge, inner hinges strained, 8 leaves loose and ragged to edges. London: Kelly's Directories, 1933. £25.00
- Large (David), editor THE PORT OF BRISTOL 1848 - 1884. xxxix + 221pp, original cloth, covers spotty. Volume 36. Bristol Record Society. 1984. £8.00
- Leversage (Peter) A HISTORY OF BRISTOL CATHEDRAL. Its Antiquities and Monuments. Engraved plates, 104pp, includes 6 page list of subscribers, original wraps, lacks spine and rear wrap. Second Edition, Revised and Corrected. John Burbidge, Clifton: 1854. £18.00
- Lewis (Bruce) THE BRISTOL BREWERY: A Proud Past - A Long Term Future? An explanation to interested parties of the proposals by Courage Limited for the modernisation of The Bath Street Brewery, Bristol. Coloured illusts, plans, 4to, spiral binding contained within thick pictorial card covers, ex-Evening Post library, with a couple of stamps. Courage Brewing Ltd., December, 1983. £25.00
- Livock (D.M), editor CITY CHAMBERLAINS' ACCOUNTS OF THE SIXTEENTH AND SEVENTEENTH CENTURIES. xxx + 191pp, original cloth-backed paper boards, few small marks to top board, splash marks to rear board. Volume 24. Bristol Record Society. 1966. £12.00
- Lyes (John) BRISTOL 1920-1926. 40pp, original printed card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, The University, Bristol: 2003. £5.00
- Marshall (Emma) BRISTOL DIAMONDS or The Hot Wells in the Year 1773. A Story. Frontis, 190pp, original pictorial wraps, these are slightly dusty, head of spine slightly chipped, small portion missing from foot of spine, and corners of top cover. First edition, London: Seeley & Co., 1888. £16.00
- Mathews's MATHEWS'S ANNUAL DIRECTORY FOR THE CITY AND COUNTY OF BRISTOL Including, Clifton, Bedminster, and Surrounding Villages. 1859. 418 + (14)pp adverts, original embossed cloth, spine partly split, loose in case, small portion missing from front endpaper. Bristol: Printed and Published by Matthew Mathews, 1859. £78.00
- Merritt (Douglas), Greenacre (Francis) and Eustace (Katherine) PUBLIC SCULPTURE OF BRISTOL. Numerous illusts, lxv + 306pp, oblong 4to, original pictorial card covers. Liverpool University Press, 2011. £20.00
- Nicholls (J.F) THE REMARKABLE LIFE ADVENTURES AND DISCOVERIES OF SEBASTIAN CABOT, of Bristol, The Founder of Great Britain's Maritime Power, Discoverer of America, and its first colonizer. Portrait frontis and map, 191 + 16 pages of publisher's adverts, 12mo, original cloth, rubbed to edges, couple of short splits to head and foot of spine, slightly shaken, signs where label removed from front pastedown. First edition, London: Sampson Low, Son and Marston, 1869. £12.00
- Penny (John) BRISTOL'S CIVIL DEFENCE DURING WORLD WAR TWO. Illusts, 28pp, original pictorial card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1998. £5.00
- Pinney (Charles) TRIAL OF CHARLES PINNEY, ESQ. In the Court of King's Bench, on an Information Filed by His Majesty's Attorney-General, Charging Him with Neglect of Duty, in his Office as Mayor of Bristol, During the Riots. xxxviii + 432pp, recent qtr cloth, paper boards, paper label on spine. Bristol: Printed by Gutch and Martin, 1833. £42.00
- Potter (W.R) A VICTORIAN BOY LOOKS BACK AT BRISTOL. 80pp, 12mo, slightly soiled dustwrapper. Arthur H. Stockwell, Ilfracombe: 1960. £14.00
* Signed by the author on the title-page. A chatty narrative. He attended St. James Barton School in the 1890's, and includes details of his visits to various local sporting events such as boxing, wrestling, football, rugby, etc.
- Quinn (David B) SEBASTIAN CABOT AND BRISTOL EXPLORATION. Illusts, 32pp, original printed card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1968. £4.00
- Salmon (Arthur L) BRISTOL: City, Suburbs & Countryside. Pen Drawings by F.G. Lewin. 237 + (2) pages of publisher's adverts, untrimmed in the original qtr cloth, paper boards, paper label on spine, spotting to page edges, light water stain to top corner of rear board. Bristol Times and Mirror, London & Bristol: 1922. £10.00
* Includes chapters on Henbury, Weston-super-Mare, Bath, etc.
- [Samborne (S)] THE POETIC GUIDE to Clifton, Bristol, and Neighbourhood; with Historical Notes, Legends, and Tales. By a Visitor of Clifton. Illustrated with 1 double-page lithograph, and 10 steel vignette engravings, these have been pasted onto blanks, original embossed cloth, rubbed, lacks approx 1" from foot of spine, off-setting, foxing and some soiling to a few leaves, inner hinges cracked, 3 contemporary ownership inscriptions, and a small hole to front endpaper. C.T. Jefferies, Bristol: 1859. £28.00
* There appears to be doubt as to whether this work is by Samborne, see Mathews's Bristol Bibliography, page 301. Not in Hyett and Bazeley's Manual of Gloucestershire Literature.
- Sampson (Walter Adam) THE LIFE OF THE REV. THOMAS WHITE D.D. With an Account of the Temple Hospital, Bristol and Sion College, London. With a frontis and one other plate, 88pp, 12mo, original cloth, spine slightly darkened, ex-lib., with label to front pastedown, and 2 small stamps to verso of title-page, signs where label removed from foot of spine. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith, Ltd., 1912. £6.00
- Shipsides (Frank) and Sansom (John) FRANK SHIPSIDES' BRISTOL With 8 coloured plates and textual illusts, 80pp, roy 8vo, dustwrapper, small ownership label and price in pencil scored through in ink to front endpaper. First edition, Bristol: The Redcliffe Press, 1984. £5.00
* Signed by Shipsides on half title.
- Small (A), Strange (G), and others BRISLINGTON Not so long ago. Illusts, 36pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Bristol: 1979. £8.00
- Taylor (John) A BOOK ABOUT BRISTOL; Historical, Ecclesiastical, and Biographical, From Original Research. iv + 393 + (vi) pages of adverts, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges, few small marks to covers. London: Houlston and Sons, 1872. £28.00
* The cheaper edition without the photographic plates.
- Taylor (John) SKETCH OF TEMPLE CHURCH, Bristol. Pamphlet, 8pp, original photograph pasted down to top leaf showing the church tower behind the buildings on Victoria Street. Bristol: c.1870. £16.00
- Vanes (Jean) THE PORT OF BRISTOL IN THE SIXTEENTH CENTURY. Illusts, 26pp, original printed card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1977. £5.00
- Veale (E.W.W), editor THE GREAT RED BOOK OF BRISTOL. Text (Part III). xv + 196pp, cloth backed paper boards, covers rubbed, cloth on outer hinges split and slightly ragged, slightly shaken, tears to fore-margin of front endpaper. Volume 16. Bristol Record Society. 1951. £9.00
- Winstone (John) BRISTOL AS IT WAS 1976-80. Photographs from the Reece Winstone Archive. Foreword by David Dawson. 312 plates, some of which are coloured, 10 + (104)pp, original pictorial laminated boards. Reece Winstone Archive & Publishing, Churchill. 1995. £20.00
- Winstone (Reece) BRISTOL IN THE 1880's Over 200 Photographs. 104pp, includes numerous local adverts, roy 8vo, original pictorial card covers. First Edition, Reece Winstone, Bristol: 1962. £8.00
* Signed by Reece Winstone on the title page.
- Winstone (Reece) BRISTOL IN THE 1890's. Over 180 Photographs, 64pp, roy 8vo, original pictorial card covers, slightly rubbed to outer hinges. First edition, Reece Winstone, Bristol: 1960. £8.00
- Winstone (Reece) BRISTOL AS IT WAS 1914-1900. Over 170 Photographs. 78 + (2)pp, roy 8vo, original printed card covers. With Amendments sheet loosely inserted. First Edition, Reece Winstone, Bristol: 1957. £8.00
- Winstone (Reece) BRISTOL AS IT WAS 1953-1956. Over 220 Photographs. 68pp, roy 8vo, original pictorial laminated boards. Second Edition, Reece Winstone, Bristol: 1979. £12.00
- Winstone (Reece) BRISTOL TO-DAY. Preface by John Betjeman. With 197 photographic illusts, map, 94pp, including adverts, original pictorial card covers, edges of spine rubbed. Second Edition enlarged, Reece Winstone, Bristol: 1963. £5.00
- Winstone (Reece) BRISTOL TRAMS. Over 260 tram photographs published for the first time. 84pp, roy 8vo, original pictorial laminated boards. First Edition, Reece Winstone, Bristol: 1974. £10.00
- Witt (Cleo) CERAMICS IN BRISTOL: THE FINE WARES. 1670-1970. Illusts, 31pp, original pictorial card covers. City of Bristol Museum and Art Gallery, 1979. £5.00
* Catalogue of the exhibition at the museum which was held 21st September 1979 - 31st January, 1980.
A further selection of BRISTOL Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Balchin (W.G.V) CORNWALL A Description of the Ordnance Survey Seventh Edition One-inch Sheets covering Cornwall. Pamphlet, maps and illustrations, 39 pages, original wraps. Geographical Association, Sheffield: 1967. £5.00
- Baring-Gould (S) and Fisher (John) THE LIVES OF THE BRITISH SAINTS; THE SAINTS OF WALES, CORNWALL AND IRISH SAINTS. 343pp, original card covers. Reprinted Kessinger Publishing, 2010. £15.00
- Blight (J.T) A WEEK AT THE LAND'S END. With 11 full page plates, vignette title-page, textual illusts, tinted folding map, viii + 203pp, original cloth, front inner hinge pulled, slightly shaken. Second edition, Truro: Lake and Lake, London: Simpkin, Marshall, 1876. £22.00
- Bray (Lena and Donald) ST. IVES HERITAGE Recollections and Records of St. Ives, Carbis Bay and Lelant. Illusts, 108pp, oblong 8vo, surface of dustwrapper crinkled. First edition, Dyllansow Truran, Redruth: (1981) £8.00
- Breton (Rev. H. Hugh) LAND'S END AND THE LIZARD. Illusts, adverts, [xii] + 94 + [vi]pp, original printed wraps, titled in ink on spine. Plymouth: Hoyten and Cole. (1912) £16.00
- Brown (Kenneth) and Acton (Bob) EXPLORING CORNISH MINES. Consols & United - Kitty & Blue Hills Tywarnhayle - Basset - Dolcoath Botallack to Boswedden. Plates, plans diagrams, 144pp, original pictorial card covers. First edition, Landfall Publications, Truro: 1994. £6.00
- Buckley (J.A) CORNISH MINING - UNDERGROUND. Illusts, 32pp, original pictorial card covers. Second edition Tor Mark Press, Redruth: 2002 £4.00
- Carew (Richard), edited with an introduction by F.E. Halliday. SURVEY OF CORNWALL. With the maps of John Norden. 334pp, original cloth, dustwrapper. This edition first published 1953. Reprinted, New York: Augustus M. Kelley, 1969. £18.00
- Carew (Richard), edited by John Chynoweth, Nicholas Orme, and Alexandra Walsham. THE SURVEY OF CORNWALL BY RICHARD CAREW. With coloured portrait frontis, 47 + 160 + (10 + 23 + (4)pp, hardcover, dustwrapper covered with a loose plastic sleeve. Exeter: Devon and Cornwall Record Society, 2004. £22.00
* The 1602 'Survey' is reproduced in facsimile.
- Carne (Tony) CORNWALL'S FORGOTTEN CORNER. Including Cawsand, Kingsand, Millbrook, St. John & Sheviock. Folding map, illusts, 143pp, original pictorial card covers. Revised edition, Lodenack Press, 1985. £10.00
- Cornish Institute of Engineers, edited by G.J. Shrimpton TRANSACTIONS OF THE CORNISH INSTITUTE OF ENGINEERS New Series, Volume XIV (1958-59) Textual diagrams, some of which are folding, 61 cyclostyled pages, 4to, few small marks to original wraps. Cornish Institute of Engineers, Camborne: 1959. £12.00
* Includes articles on Uranium; Mining Machinery; Modern German Mining Machinery, etc.
- Crofts (Rev. C.B) A SHORT HISTORY OF ST. BURYAN. Illusts, 67pp, original printed card covers, contemporary name and date to top cover. West Cornwall Field Club, Lowenac, Camborne: 1955. £15.00
- Dexter (T.F.G) THE LOST CHURCH. (St. Piran's Church, Perranzabuloe.) 13pp, original wraps, wraps slightly dusty, top corners of all leaves creased where once folded. Printed by J.S, Repper, St.Agnes: c.1940. £4.00
- Halliday (F.E) THE LEGEND OF THE ROOD with The Three Maries and The Death of Pilate. Done into English Verse with an Introduction. With 5 plates, 142pp, name to front endpaper, small portions torn from worn dustwrapper. London: Gerald Duckworth, 1955. £10.00
- Hamilton-Jenkin (A.K) THE CORNISH MINER. An account of his life above and underground from earliest times. Illusts, 351pp, original cloth, lightly rubbed, lacks front endpaper, page edges spotty. First edition, George Allen & Unwin, London: 1927. £12.00
- Higgins (John) STUDY OF A MINE COST BOOK Wheal Agar October 1855 - November 1859. Illusts, diagram, 72pp, original pictorial card covers, light staining to fore-edges of several pages, slightly affecting a few margins. Second edition, Privately published, 2005. £16.00
- Hirst (Lieut-Colonel F.C.) EXCAVATIONS AT PORTHMEOR, CORNWALL, 1933, 1934 and 1935. Plates, diagrams, folding diagram, 81pp, original partly faded. Reprinted from R.I.C. Journal. Truro: 1937. £10.00
- Hunt (John) ISLANDS APART The Isles of Scilly. With 80 plates, 20pp, small folio, short tear to dustwrapper. Wruff Publications, Porthloo, St. Mary's Isles of Scilly: 1989. £8.00
- John (Catherine Rachel) THE SAINTS OF CORNWALL. Plates, illusts, 114pp, original pictorial card covers, fore-edges slightly spotty, spine faded, some general wear. Lodenek Press and Dyllansow Truran, Padstow and Redruth: 1981. £4.00
- Larn (Richard) and Carter (Clive) CORNISH SHIPWRECKS. Volume 1: The South Coast. Plates, textual illusts, maps, 264pp, dustwrapper. New Impression. Newton Abbot: David and Charles, 1971. £9.00
- Larn (Richard) CORNISH SHIPWRECKS. Volume 3: The Isles of Scilly. Plates, textual illusts, maps, 238pp, dustwrapper. David and Charles, Newton Abbot: 1971. £12.00
- Maclean (Sir John) PAROCHIAL AND FAMILY HISTORY OF THE PARISH OF ST. BRUERED (ST. BREWARD). With a tinted lithograph and 3 other plates, pedigrees, one of which is folding, textual illusts, pages numbered 345-396, + list of subscribers, complete, 4to, original printed card covers, cloth spine. London: Nichols and Sons, Bodmin: Liddel and Son, 1871. £65.00
* This forms part III of 'Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall.'
- Newquay Old Cornwall Society NEWQUAY'S PICTORIAL PAST. With map, and 65 illusts, with captions, one per page, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers, some spotting to first, last leaf, and fore-edges. Newquay Old Cornwall Society, c.1990. £4.00
- Noall (Cyril) CORNISH SEINES AND SEINERS A History of the Pilchard Fishing Industry. Plates, 160pp, dustwrapper. First edition, Truro: Bradford Barton, 1972. £22.00
- Noall (Cyril) SMUGGLING IN CORNWALL. Illusts, map, 108pp, dustwrapper. First edition, D. Bradford Barton, Truro: 1971. £7.00
- Palmer (June) TRURO IN THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY Interlocking Circles. Illusts, including several drawings of front elevations buildings, with notes of their early owners, plans, 76 + (5)pp, folio, original printed card covers. June Palmer, Polquick: 1990. £12.00
- Palmer (June) TRURO IN THE SEVENTEENTH CENTURY A Pattern of Place and People. Illusts, including several drawings of front elevations buildings, with notes of their early owners, plans, 80pp, folio, original printed card covers. June Palmer, Polquick: 1989. £9.00
- Pocock (Sally J) BEHIND BARS A Chronicle of Bodmin Goal. Illusts, 69pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. Sally J. Pocock, Truro: 1998. £6.00
- Polwhele (Rev. R) BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES IN CORNWALL. Volume 3 of 3 only. 180pp, 12mo, untrimmed in contemporary, plain paper boards, partly faded and rubbed. Truro: Printed by W. Polybank. 1831. £20.00
* This volume contains the 'Memoirs of John Whitaker', author of books on Cornwall, Manchester and Rector of Ruan Lanyhorne where he died in 1808.
- Pool (P.A.S) THE DEATH OF CORNISH. Map, illusts, 31pp, original card covers. First edition, Privately published, 1975. £7.00
- Pool (P.A.S.) THE LIFE AND PROGRESS OF HENRY QUICK of Zennor. Illusts, 44pp, original pictorial card covers, mark to rear cover where small label removed. Revised and enlarged edition, Dyllansow Truran, Redruth: 1984. £6.00
- [Redding (Cyrus)] AN ILLUSTRATED ITINERARY OF THE COUNTY OF CORNWALL. With an engraved frontis., an engraved map, 5 full page steel engravings and numerous textual illusts, viii + 264pp, roy 8vo, contemporary half calf, marbled boards, rubbed, usual occasional foxing, plates waterstained. First edition, London: How and Parsons, 1842. £28.00
- Rosewarne (John N) BYGONE CORNWALL. An Illustrated History. Illusts, 64pp, original pictorial card covers, name to verso of top cover. D. Bradford Barton, Truro: 1970. £6.00
- Rowe (John) CORNWALL IN THE AGE OF THE INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION. With introduction by A.L. Rowse and E.V. Thompson. xiv + 375pp, original cloth, partly faded dustwrapper. Second Enlarged Edition, St. Austell: Cornish Hillside Publications, 1993. £12.00
- Rowse (A.L) TUDOR CORNWALL. Portrait of a Society. Illusts, folding maps, 462pp, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper, rubbed to edges, corner of lower board bruised. Third impression, Jonathan Cape, London: 1943. £10.00
- Royal Geological Society of Cornwall. ROYAL GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF CORNWALL TRANSACTIONS Thirty-Sixth Annual Report.... Papers and Notices. Volume 7 part 3. Plate, 22 + 93-114pp, original wraps, spine chipped, small portion missing from lower corner of top wrap and title-page, ink note to top cover. Penzance: F.T. Vibert, 1849. £10.00
* Articles include:- Rocks of the Liskeard Valley; Additions to Cornish Geology, etc.
- Royal Geological Society of Cornwall ROYAL GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF CORNWALL TRANSACTIONS Volume 13. Part 8. Sections, 485-534pp, lacks rear wrapper, and most of spine. Penzance: 1912. £8.00
* Contains articles on:- Tin Trade of Western Europe; Coast Erosion near Portscatho.
- Royal Geological Society of Cornwall ROYAL GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF CORNWALL TRANSACTIONS Volume 15. Part 2. Illusts, 33-84pp, original wraps faded. Penzance: 1915. £6.00
* Contains article on:- Topaz Rock of St. Mewan Beacon; Spilosites and Adinoles from North Cornwall, etc.
- Royal Geological Society of Cornwall ROYAL GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF CORNWALL TRANSACTIONS Volume 15. Part 4. Illusts, 191-312pp, original partly faded wraps. Penzance: 1917. £6.00
* Contains article on:- Minerals of War Time Value in the West Country; Geolgy of Castle-an-Dinas and Belowda Beacon; Mining District Camborne and Redruth. etc.
- Royal Geological Society of Cornwall ROYAL GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF CORNWALL TRANSACTIONS Volume 15. Index volume. Illusts, 601-610pp, original wraps faded. Penzance: 1927. £5.00
- Royal Institution of Cornwall TWENTY SECOND ANNUAL REPORT OF THE ROYAL INSTITUTION OF CORNWALL. 1840. With 3 plates, folding table, 88pp, original printed wrappers, portions missing from head and foot of spine. Truro: L.E. Gillet, 1841. £20.00
* Includes:- Dominican Friary, and St. Mary's in Truro; A Barrow at Newquay; Diseases of Miners, etc.
- Royal Institution of Cornwall JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL INSTITUTION OF CORNWALL No 7. April, 1867. Textual illusts and tables, pages numbered 177-282, top wrap loose, lacks lower wrap. Truro: James R. Netherton, 1867. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Bishopric of Cornwall; Inventory of a Nobleman's Personal Property in the 16th Century; Cornish Ecclesiology - Mabe; Twin Storms of January 1867, etc.
- Royal Institution of Cornwall JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL INSTITUTION OF CORNWALL With the Fifty-Second Annual Report. No 11. Illusts and tables, xlvii + pages numbered 147-224 + iipp, original wraps. Truro: James B. Netherton, 1870. £15.00
* Includes articles:- Cornish Saints; Mylor Church; Dolcoath Mines; Dialects of Devon and Cornwall, etc.
- Royal Institution of Cornwall JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL INSTITUTION OF CORNWALL New Series Volume 9, part 4, 1985. Plate, pages numbered 307-388, original wraps. Cornwall Lithographic Printers, 1985. £5.00
* Includes articles:- Education in the Isles of Scilly, 1747-1870; Pocket Boroughs of the Eliot Family of St. Germans, Liskeard and Grampound, etc.
- Schwartz (Sharron P) VOICES OF THE CORNISH MINING LANDSCAPE. Illusts, some in colour, 127pp, 4to, original card covers. Cornwall County Council, Truro: 2008. £6.00
- Smith (A.S.D) (Carador) CORNISH SIMPLIFIED. Short Lessons for Self-tuition. Pronunciation. Grammar. Exercises. 88pp, few splash marks to the partly faded original wraps. Second edition, James Townsend & Sons, Exeter: 1955. £6.00
- Stoker (Hugh) SEA FISHING IN CORNWALL. Charts, 73pp, original pictorial card covers, name to title-page. Fifth impression, Ernest Benn, London: 1972. £6.00
- Taylor (William) HISTORY OF TINTAGEL. Compiled from Ancient Records and Modern Writers. Illusts, 80pp, 12mo, original wraps, top cover and frontis loose, spine chipped. First edition, Oscar Blackford, Truro: 1927. £6.00
- Thomas (Charles) and Pool (Peter) THE PRINCIPAL ANTIQUITIES OF THE LAND'S END DISTRICT. West Cornwall Field Club, Field Guide No. 2. Text illusts, 24pp, original card covers, staple rusty. Fourth Edition, newly revised, 1959. £6.00
* Includes articles on Chun Castle; Castle-an-Dinas; Fougous; Porthmeor, etc.
- Thomas (Janet) "THE WHEELS WENT AROUND" The Story of Camborne town. Illusts, map, 111pp, original pictorial card covers. Dyllansow Truran, Redruth: 1987. £5.00
- Tomas (Charles) THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING CORNISH IN CORNWALL An Inaugural Lecture, delivered at Cornwall Technical College on April 10th, 1973. 23pp, original pictorial card covers. Institute of Cornish Studies, Redruth: 1973. £8.00
- Trevail (C.T), of Luxulyan THE LIFE AND REMINISCENCES. With frontis and 3 plates, 159pp, original cloth-backed pictorial paper boards, covers slightly rubbed, marked and dusty. Bristol: Burleigh Limited, 1926. £20.00
- Trevithick Society THE JOURNAL OF THE TREVITHICK SOCIETY JOURNAL No 23. 1996. Illusts, 88pp, original pictorial card covers. Trevithick Society, Cornwall: 1996. £6.00
* Includes articles:- Levant Mine; Ding Dong Mine; St. Germans Quay Tramway; Archaeology of the Botallack Cliffs, etc.
- Uren (J.G), Late Postmaster of Penzance SCILLY AND THE SCILLONIANS. With 63 plates, 149 + 3 pages of adverts, original decorative cloth, lightly rubbed to edges, short split to head of top outer hinge, some spotting to fore-edges, and to title-page. "The Western Morning News," Plymouth: 1907. £35.00
- Vulliamy (C.E) UNKNOWN CORNWALL. With Illustrations in Colour and Black and White by Charles Simpson. xii + 246pp, sm 4to, original cloth, lacks spine, edges of boards rubbed, inner hinges pulled, occasional light foxing. First edition, London: John Lane, The Bodley Head, 1925. £15.00
- Watkiss (Reg) EARLY PHOTOGRAPHS THE WEST CORNWALL PENINSULA. 4 pages of text and 126 photographs with captions, oblong 4to, original pictorial card covers. Revised and Reprinted, A Celtic Pottery Publication, Penzance: 1978. £6.00
- Whitaker (John), Rector of Ruan-Lanythorne THE ANCIENT CATHEDRAL OF CORNWALL Historically Surveyed. Volume 2 of 2. With engraved plate, 434pp, early half calf, marbled boards, covers rubbed, to edges, lacks lettering piece from spine, top outer hinge cracked. With the armorial bookplate of Edmund F. Bourke. London: Printed for John Stockdale, 1804. £22.00
A further selection of CORNISH Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Ashton (Ald. Lieut-Col. H), Oliver (Bruce W), and others THE BOROUGH OF A THOUSAND YEARS. 930 - 1930. Being the Official Millenary Souvenir Brochure. 58pp, original wraps, tall 12mo, presentation copy from the Mayor, etc. Published with the authority of the Barnstaple Town Council. (1935) £20.00
* Includes a list of all the Mayors of Barnstaple since 1303.
- Bellamy (Reg) POSTBRIDGE The Heart of Dartmoor. Illusts, 160pp, 4to, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper. Devon Books and Halsgrove, Tiverton: 1998. £9.00
- Besley (T), printer and publisher THE REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONERS CONCERNING CHARITIES; containing that part which relates to the COUNTY OF DEVON. viii + 334 and vii + 336 and vii + 312 + 169pp (Appendix and Index), 4 volumes, including the Appendix and Index volume, bound in 2, contemporary qtr cloth, paper boards, short split to cloth on one outer hinge, boards, slightly rubbed, front inner hinge of one volume broken, occasional light spotting to text, bookplates to front pastedown partly removed. Printed and Published by T. Besley, Jun. Cathedral-Yard, Exeter: 1826-28-30-32. £90.00
* Gives details of the various 'Gifts' and their disbursements in each parish. There are also tables of lands owned by charities with lists of rent, names of lessees, descriptions of tenements, etc.
- Boggis (Rev. R.J. Edmund) A HISTORY OF THE PARISH AND CHURCH OF ST. MARY MAGDALENE, BARNSTAPLE. 204 + (9)pp list of subscribers, original cloth. Loosely inserted is a prospectus, printed on one side of a single sheet for the work, which is signed by Boggis. Cross and Jackman, Canterbury: 1915. £25.00
- Born (Anne) A HISTORY OF KINGSBRIDGE AND SALCOMBE. Plates, textual diagrams, xii + 179pp, roy 8vo, dustwrapper. Phillimore, Chichester: 1986. £10.00
- Branscombe, transcribed and edited by H. Tapley-Soper and Elijah Chick. THE REGISTER OF BAPTISMS, MARRIAGES AND BURIALS OF THE PARISH OF BRANSCOMBE, DEVON, 1539-1812. Frontis, x + errata + 308pp, untrimmed, partly unopened, loose in parts and unbound, as issued, small stain to top margin of approx 15 leaves. Exeter: The Devon and Cornwall Record Society, 1913. £40.00
- Brooke Rowe (J), editor THE FOX MEMOIRS - WORTHIES OF DEVON. Contained within the Seventh and Eighth Reports on the Committee on Devonshire Records. 2 parts, 65pp and 68pp, both in the original wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association, 1896 and 1897. £5.00
* The Worthies include:- John Huxham; Zachariah Mudge; Thomas Rennell; John Mudge; Joshua Reynolds, etc.
- Brown (Dorothy and Theo) FAMILY HOLIDAYS AROUND DARTMOOR. From the Logbook of 'The Loiterer', 1913-1930 Illusts, some in colour, xii + 83pp, original pictorial card covers. Devonshire Association, 1995. £6.00
- Chard (Judy) DEVON MYSTERIES. Plates, map, 88pp, original pictorial card covers. Bossiney Books, Bodmin: 1979. £4.00
- Church (Steve) THE DEVON LANDSCAPE. An appraisal of Devon's Landscape at the beginning of the 21st Century. Maps, photographic illusts which are mainly in colour, 176pp, dustwrapper, large oblong 4to. Devon Books, Tiverton: 2002. £20.00
- Cock (Douglas J) JAN STEWER A West Country Biography. With a Preface by J.C. Trewin. Illusts, 103pp, dustwrapper. Moonraker Press, Bradford-on-Avon: 1980. £8.00
- Cole (W.V) and Sons, printers THE ROYAL DEVON AND EXETER HOSPITAL, Exeter, and the Ockenden Convalescent Home, Torquay. 1931 Annual Statements. Folding table of accounts, plates, 14 pages of adverts + 101 + 15 pages of adverts, original printed top wrap, lacks lower wrap, portions of spine missing from head and foot, top wrap chipped to edges, ex-lib with stamp to top wrap, and label to verso of top wrap. Exeter: Printed by W.V. Cole & Sons, 1932. £9.00
- [Coles (A.J)], Jan Stewer ON THE MOOR OF A NIGHT. 249pp, original cloth, lightly rubbed, spine faded. First edition, London: Westaway Books, 1949. £12.00
- Devon Notes and Queries DEVON NOTES AND QUERIES. Volume 3. From January 1904 to October 1905. Part I Miscellaneous. Plates, (iv) + 276pp, original cloth.... Bound with.... RICHARDS PEEKE OF TAVISTOCK. His Three to One the Contemporary Verses and the Play of Dick of Devonshire. With an Introduction by J. Brooking Rowe. x + 97pp. Two items bound in one, early binder's cloth, spine faded, few snags to head of spine, shaken, the title-page to Peeke has been partly, badly glued to the opposite blank and now has some discolouration to the inner margin, and a couple of holes where once stuck down. James G. Commin, Exeter: 1905. £14.00
- Devon Notes and Queries DEVON NOTES AND QUERIES. Volume 4, Part 8. October 1907. Plates, pages numbered 249-293 (includes the Index and title-page to volume 4).... Bound with.... Cresswell (Beatrix F) EXETER CHURCHES.... Plates, pages 49-80. Two items bound in one, original wraps. James G. Commin, Exeter: 1907. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Knights Effigies in Exeter; Some Vicars or Ministers of Seaton; Att Yard or Yarde Family; Exeter Cathedral Subsidies, etc.
- Devon Notes and Queries DEVON NOTES AND QUERIES. Volume 5. From January 1908 to October 1909. Part I Miscellaneous. Plates, text illusts, iv + 311pp, early cloth, spine darkened, very shaken, news cuttings partly glued to endpapers, and to verso of one plate, couple of plates and pages loose. Exeter: James G. Commin, 1909. £10.00
* Includes articles:- Wrecks in Bigbury and Start Bays; Reynolds Family of Pinhoe; Captain William Cocks of Plymouth; Granville Family; Silk Culture in Devon; Prous Family; Yarde Family, etc.
- Devonshire Association REPORT AND TRANSACTIONS OF THE DEVONSHIRE ASSOCIATION For the Advancement of Science, Literature and Art. [Exeter, July, 1915.] Volume 47. Illusts some of which are folding, 440pp, paper chipped from head and foot of spine. W. Brendon and Son. Plymouth: 1915. £18.00
* Includes articles:- Walrond Screen in Seaton Church; William Pengelly; Tavistock History, Berry Pomeroy Castle; Manors in Exminster Hundred; Bideford under the Restored Monarchy, etc, etc.
- Devonshire Association REPORT AND TRANSACTIONS OF THE DEVONSHIRE ASSOCIATION For the Advancement of Science, Literature and Art [Plymouth, July, 1916.] Volume 48. [Volume VIII. Third Series.] Illusts some of which are folding, 400pp, few spots and marks to the original printed wraps, small portion missing from foot of spine, and last leaf. Plymouth: 1916. £18.00
* Includes articles:- Dunstones of Plymouth; Devon Members of Parliament; Baptismal Fonts of Devon; Devonshire Verbal Provincialisms, etc.
- Devonshire Association REPORT AND TRANSACTIONS OF THE DEVONSHIRE ASSOCIATION.... [Seaton, 1954.] Volume 86. Illusts, folding plans, xvi + 344pp, original wraps, ex-lib, with number to base of spine, and stamp to verso of title-page. Devonshire Press, Torquay: 1954. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Dawlish Warren; North Tawton; Cave near Radford; Totnes Castle; Kestor; Moretonhampstead; Dartmoor, etc.
- Devonshire Association REPORT AND TRANSACTIONS OF THE DEVONSHIRE ASSOCIATION.... Exeter, 1962. Volume 94. Illusts, folding maps, viii + 713pp, original wraps, top wrap spotty. Devonshire Press, Torquay: 1962. £10.00
* Includes articles:- Chittlehampton; Exeter Free Grammar School; Dartmoor; Plymouth; University of Exeter, etc.
- Devonshire Association REPORT AND TRANSACTIONS OF THE DEVONSHIRE ASSOCIATION For the Advancement of Science and Literature and Art. Dartmouth, 1991. Volume 123. Illusts, xxix + 336pp, original wraps. Latimer Trend, Plymouth: 1991. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Ancient Guildhalls of Dartmouth; Edward Seymour and the Dartmouth Garrison; Cornworthy in the 19th century; Lord Hambledon and Moretonhampstead; Blagdon Cider Barn, Paignton, etc.
- Devonshire Association, Chope (R. Pearse) KEY TO THE TRANSACTIONS OF THE DEVONSHIRE ASSOCIATION VOLUMES I-LX. (1862-1928) 90pp, original printed wraps, lacks approx. half of spine Plymouth: W. Brendon and Son, Ltd., 1928. £12.00
- Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society TRANSACTIONS OF THE EXETER DIOCESAN ARCHITECTURAL SOCIETY. First Series. Volume 6. Part II. With 15 plates, pages numbered 127 - 233, 4to, original printed card covers, portions missing from foot of spine. Printed by William Pollard, Exeter: 1859. £12.00
* Includes articles on Effigies and Tombs in Devon; Ancient Manor House of Wear Gifford; Appendix to Monumental Brasses; Huntsham Church, etc.
- Gerrard (John) KENT'S CAVERN. Reprinted by kind permission of "Chambers's Journal" Illusts, folding plan and folding chart, 20pp, original decorative paper wraps. W.F. & L.W. Powe, Kent's Cavern, Wellswood, Torquay: c.193- £4.00
- Gill (Crispin) PLYMOUTH A NEW HISTORY. 1603 to the present day. Plates, textual maps and plans, 239pp, dustwrapper. David & Charles, Newton Abbot: 1979. £6.00
- Gray (Todd), editor DEVON HOUSEHOLD ACCOUNTS, 1627-59: Part 1. Sir Richard and Lady Lucy Reynell of Forde (1627-48), John Willoughby of Leyhill (1644-6) and Sir Edward Wise of Sydenham (1655-9). Frontis, plates, sketch maps, lviii + 285pp, original pictorial card covers. Devon & Cornwall Record Society New Series, Volume 38. Torquay: 1995. £16.00
- Gray (Todd), edited and with an introduction by THE LOST CHRONICLES OF BARNSTAPLE 1586-1611. Frontis, illusts, maps, xiv + 188pp, square 8vo, decorative card covers. First Edition. Devonshire Association. 1998. £10.00
- Grey (Rev. William) REMARKS ON SOME TOWERS OF CHURCHES IN THE SOUTH OF DEVON. Text illusts, pages numbered 127-135, 4to, disbound, pages loose. Extracted from the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society Transactions, 1843. £7.00
- Hall-Tomkin (Brian) & Hilliard (Brian) WEST COUNTRY CORONER The notable cases and absorbing career of North Devon's Coroner. Illusts, 128pp, original card covers. Countryside Books, Newbury: 1999. £6.00
- Harding (Lieut.-Colonel William) A PAPER ON THE CHURCH AND CHANTRY ON THE ANCIENT EXE-BRIDGE. Folding plate, pages numbered 165-172, complete, 4to, disbound. Extracted from the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Association Transactions, 1849. £9.00
- Harvey (L.A) and St Leger-Gordon (D) DARTMOOR. With 17 colour photographs by E.H. Ware, 36 Photographs in Black and White and 3 maps of the Area. xiv + 273pp, original cloth, small portions missing from edges of dustwrapper, few spots to front pastedown. First edition, Collins, New Naturalist. 1953. £8.00
- Hawker (George) A BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH OF FRANCIS JAMES BLIGHT, F.R.S.E. PUBLISHER Chairman and Managing Director from 1899 to 1927 of Charles Griffin and Company, Ltd., Publishers. With 32 half-tone plates. xxii + 176pp, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges. Elliot Stock, London: 1931. £20.00
* Includes 2 chapters on the families origins in Devon from the 16th century to the 18th century and their connection with Topsham.
- Hewett (J.W) REMARKS ON THE MONUMENTAL BRASSES, AND CERTAIN DECORATIVE REMAINS, In the Cathedral Church of S. Peter, Exeter. To which is appended a Complete Monumentarium. With 13 coloured plates, text illusts, pages numbered 90-146, complete, 4to, disbound. Extracted from Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society, 1848. £15.00
- Hussell (Allen T) NORTH DEVON CHURCHES, Studies of some of the Ancient Buildings. Illusts, [viii] + 126 + [iv], folio, original decorative cloth, some damp spotting to boards, internally sound. First edition, Printed at the "Herald" Press, Barnstaple: c.1910. £22.00
- King (Richard John) THE CHURCH OF ST. MARY AND OF THE HOLY CROSS, AT CREDITON. With 5 plates, folding plan, pages numbered 81-113, 4to, disbound, plates and plan loose, quarter inch tear to top margin of plates. Extracted from the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society Transactions, 1876. £9.00
- Palmer (Mervyn G), editor THE FAUNA AND FLORA OF THE ILFRACOMBE DISTRICT OF NORTH DEVON. Plates and folding map, xiii + 266pp, original qtr cloth, paper boards. James Townsend & Sons Ltd., Exeter: 1946. £12.00
- Pike (John) TORQUAY The Place and the People. A Centenary History. 180pp, dustwrapper. Numbered Limited Edition. Torquay Centenary Committee, Torquay: 1992. £15.00
- Raymond (Stuart A) DEVON A Genealogical Bibliography Volume 2, Devon Family Histories and Pedigrees. 64pp, original printed card covers. Second edition, S.A. & M.J. Raymond, 1994. £5.00
- Reichel (Oswald J) THE "DOMESDAY" HUNDREDS. THE HUNDRED OF LISTONE. Coloured folding plan, 32pp, original wraps, spine partly split. Reprinted from Transactions of Devonshire Assoc. 1896. £20.00
- Reichel (Rev. O.J) INDEX OF PERSONAL AND PLACE NAMES in the "Hundreds of Devon". Contributed to the Transactions of the Association. 405pp, few short tears to original wraps, small portions missing from top and lower wraps, spine faded and slightly chipped to edges. Devonshire Association. Torquay: 1942. £28.00
- Reichel (Rev. Oswald) THE HUNDREDS OF BRAUNTON, SHIRWELL AND FREMINGTON IN EARLY TIMES. The Devonshire Association. Extra Volume. 136pp, lacks wraps, margin of first leaf partly creased and spotty. Torquay: The Devonshire Press. 1935. £8.00
- Richardson (Joan M), foreword CENTRAL CONSERVATION STUDY EXETER. Illusts, 32pp, slight crease to top cover, original pictorial card covers. Exeter City Council, 1977. £6.00
- Robjohns (Sydney) BUCKLAND ABBEY AND SIR FRANCIS DRAKE. A paper read before the fellows of the Royal Historical Society. 32pp, half calf cloth boards, monogrammed initials inlaid in leather on top board of John Tricks Spalding, and with his bookplate to front endpaper, and the bookplate of T.N. Brushfield to front pastedown. Plymouth: Bowering & Company, 1877. £38.00
- Scott (John) and Gray (Gladys) OUT OF THE DARKNESS. A brief history and description of the Old Quarry, Beer. Illusts, 21pp, original pictorial card covers. Axminster Printing Co. Ltd., c.197- £4.00
- Scott (Wilfred) TO A FARMER BORN. Plates, 110pp, 12mo, original pictorial; card covers, private bookplate to verso of top cover. Bristol Broadsides (Co-op) Ltd., 1987. £9.00
* Scott's memories of being bought up on Middle Longcombe, a farm situated between Totnes and Paignton.
- Sellman (Roger R) DEVON VILLAGE SCHOOLS in the nineteenth century. Maps, plates, diagrams, 171pp, spine of dustwrapper faded, slight wear to dustwrapper. David and Charles, Newton Abbot: 1967. £8.00
- Stephan (Dom John) BUCKFAST ABBEY Historical Guide. Coloured frontis and other illusts, 112pp, original cloth, inner hinges weak, some damp spots to boards, relevant news cutting to front endpaper. Published at the Abbey, Buckfast: c.1950. £8.00
- Vancouver (Charles) GENERAL VIEW OF THE AGRICULTURE OF DEVON; With Observations on the Means of its Improvement. Drawn up for the Consideration of the Board of Agriculture. Lacks map, title-page and 1 plate, contains 27 plates, 2 of which are hand-coloured, 7 folding tables, loose pages iii-xii + 479 + 2 pages of publishers adverts + 2 page catalogue of Agricultural Seeds for sale + Directions to Binder + 16 pages of publishers catalogue, untrimmed in the original boards, top board loose, lacks portions from spine and lettering piece, occasional off-setting, one leaf loose, 2 fore-edge margins partly torn. First edition, London: Richard Phillips, 1808. £50.00
- White (William) HISTORY, GAZETTEER AND DIRECTORY OF THE COUNTY OF DEVON including the City of Exeter, and Comprising a General Survey of the County.... Folding map, xvi + 1103pp + 32pp of adverts, original cloth. Originally published, Sheffield: William White. 1878-9. Reprinted, Exeter: 1998. £75.00
- Whitham (John A) OTTERY ST MARY. Maps, plates, textual illusts, xiii + 124pp, dustwrapper. Phillimore, Chichester: 1984. £12.00
- Williamson (Henry) ON FOOT IN DEVON or Guidance and Gossip being a Monologue in Two Reels. With 8 illustrations. ix + 196pp, original cloth, slightly dusty, lacks dustwrapper, prelims, and page edges spotty. First edition, London: Alexander Maclehose, 1933. £6.00
- Wilson (Francis Rought) THE HISTORY OF ST. MARY'S CHURCH BRIXTON SOUTH DEVON. With Five Illustrations by H.W. Goffin. x + 54pp, sm 8vo, original cloth. London: S.P.C.K. 1926. £18.00
* With the signature of C.W. Bracken, the local author, on front endpaper.
- Winbolt (S.E) DEVON Bells Pocket Guides. English Counties. Plates, map endpapers, l + 270pp, dustwrapper slightly faded and rubbed. London: G. Bell & Sons, 1919. £6.00
A further selection of DEVON Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Almack (T.F) A VILLAGE HERITAGE The Story of Blandford St. Mary. With 11 plates, 3 folding plans, and a folding pedigree, vii + 83pp, few short tears to dustwrapper. Friary Press, Dorchester: (1961) £10.00
- Brocklebank (Joan) VICTORIAN STONE CARVERS IN DORSET CHURCHES 1856-1880. With excerpts from the reports of the consecration ceremonies in the Dorset County Chronicle and other Sources. Plates, map endpapers, 72pp, 4to, slightly faded dustwrapper. Wimborne: The Dovecote Press. 1979. £24.00
- Burnett (David) A DORSET CAMERA 1855-1914. With 149 illusts, 4to, dustwrapper, cellotape stains to internal flaps of dustwrapper and to endpapers. The Dovecote Press, Wimborne: 1974. £6.00
- Burnett (David) A DORSET CAMERA 1914-1945. With 135 illusts, 4to, spine faded to dustwrapper, private ownership label to front endpapers. First edition, The Dovecote Press, Wimborne: 1975. £6.00
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From May, 1921 to May, 1922. Volume 43. With illusts, xciv + 127 + (2)pp, original cloth, some damp spotting to top board. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1923. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Black Death in Dorset; Anglo-Saxon Mint at Bridport; Lyme Regis Bridge; Dorset Church Woodwork, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1929. Volume 51. With illusts, cii + 279pp, original cloth. F.G. Longman, Dorchester: 1930. £8.00
* Includes articles:- List of Coleoptera of Dorset; Chettle Down Earthwork; Effigies in Horton Church; Roman Coins from Jordan Hill, Weymouth, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1930. Volume 52. With illusts, cii + 166pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1931. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Hamworthy Peninsula; Agricultural Riots in Dorset; Dorset church dedications; Combs Ditch and Bokerley Dyke, etc.
- Douch (Robert) A HANDBOOK OF LOCAL HISTORY: DORSET. 139pp, original card covers. University of Bristol: 1952. £4.00
- Fulford (R. Medley) NOTES OF A FOUR DAY TOUR AMONG THE DORSET CHURCHES. With 4 plates, pages numbered 181-188, complete, 4to, disbound. Extracted from the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society Transactions, 1867. £6.00
- Hutchins (John) HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Compiled from the Best and most Ancient Historians, Inquisitiones Post Mortem, and other Valuable Records and MSS.... Volume 3 only. Third Edition, Corrected, Augmented, and Improved, by William Shipp and James Whitworth Hodson. With 33 of 34 full page engraved plates, lacks the plate of Kingston Lacy House, numerous pedigrees and engravings in the text, 755pp, folio, untrimmed in early buckram, lightly faded and rubbed, leather label on spine, a few plates lightly waterstained to margins. Westminster: Printed by John Bowyer Nichols, 1868. £180.00
* Includes the Town and Borough of Shaftesbury, and the Hundreds of Badbury, Cogdean, Cranborne, Knowlton, Loosebarrow, Sixpenny Handley; Upwinborne, Wimborne St. Giles, Brownshal, Buckland Newton, Liberty of Gillingham, and Liberty of Sturminster Marshal.
- Mayo (C.H) BIBLIOTHECA DORSETIENSIS Being a carefully compiled Account of Printed Books relating to the History and Topography of the County of Dorset. x + 296pp, 4to, original cloth. Limited to 100 copies. Originally published 1885. Reprinted 1996. £22.00
- Stukeley (Rev. William) OF THE ROMAN AMPHITHEATER AT DORCHESTER. Large folding plan, viii + 16pp, folio, original wraps, recent cloth spine. Two Hundred Copies Printed in Facsimile. Originally published 1723. Reprinted 1925. £18.00
- Tribe (Tom) and Whatmoor (Philip) DORSET CLOCKS AND CLOCKMAKERS. Map endpapers, 38 plates, 234pp, dustwrapper. Oswestry: Tanat Books, 1981. £20.00
- Walbridge (A.A.G) ST. MARY BEAMINSTER A HISTORY. Illusts, 144pp, original pictorial card covers, a few amendments in ink, made by the original owner of the book, whose bookplate is to verso of top cover. Tipped in at the rear is a copy of a letter sent by him to the author with a note of the corrections. Walbridge Publications, Beaminster: 2002. £16.00
A further selection of DORSET Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Agg-Gardner (Rt. Hon. Sir James) SOME PARLIAMENTARY RECOLLECTIONS. With 14 plates, textual illusts, 246pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, few small marks to covers, Ed. J. Burrow, London: (1927) £26.00
* Signed presentation inscription by the author on the front endpaper. Agg-Gardner was a Brewery owner, and elected an M.P. for Cheltenham in 1874, he was defeated in 1880. He was re-elected in 1885, stood down in 1885. Stood for the Cheltenham seat again in 1911 and held it until his death in 1928.
- Baddeley (W.St. Clair) FURTHER EARLY DEEDS, HITHERTO UNPRINTED, RELATING TO ST. PETER'S ABBEY, GLOUCESTER Pages numbered 47-68, complete, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1915. £4.00
- Bax (Clifford) W.G. GRACE With four plates. 64pp, original cloth, inscription on front endpaper. First edition, Phoenix House, London: 1952. £8.00
- Belcher (Ernest) RAMBLES AMONG THE COTSWOLDS. With a Preface by Sir John Maclean. 104pp, roy 8vo, original cloth. First edition. Evesham: W. & H. Smith, 1892. £30.00
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, edited by Sir John Maclean TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1880-81. Volume 5. Illusts, 255pp, later cloth, ex-lib. with number to base of spine, and stamp and label to front endpapers. Bristol: Printed for the Society by C.T. Jefferies, 1881. £22.00
* Includes articles:- Painswick Court House; Tewkesbury Abbey Church; Stanley St Leonards; Roman Pavement at Woodchester; Brimpsfield, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, edited by Sir John Maclean TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1890-91. Volume 15. Part 2 of 2. Illusts, pages numbered (iv) 227-357 + xi + 22pp, original printed wraps, small portions chipped from head and foot of spine. Bristol: Printed for the Society by C.T. Jefferies, 1891. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Documents connected with the Forest of Dean; Notes on the Family of Yonge; Cross at Ampney Crucis, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, edited by Rev. C.S. Taylor TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1894-95. Volume 19. Part 1 of 2. Illusts, 169pp, original wraps, portion missing from foot of spine, and partly torn at head. Bristol: Printed for the Society by C.T. Jefferies, 1895. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Roman Remains at Tolsey, Gloucester; Domestic Life at Berkeley Castle; History of Beckford; Overbury Church; History of Kemerton, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, edited by Rev. C.S. Taylor TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1900. Volume 23, Part 1. Illusts, 192pp, untrimmed in the original wraps, small portion missing from head of faded spine. Bristol: Printed for the Society by J.W. Arrowsmith, 1900. £15.00
* Includes articles:- Roods and Rood Lofts; Bath, Mercia and West Saxon; St. Nicholas Church, Gloucestershire, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society Roland Austin editor TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1945. Volume 66. Illusts, folding plans, 308 + 16pp, original wraps. John Bellows, Gloucester: 1947. £14.00
* Includes articles:- Roman Site at Sea Mills; Metes and Bounds of Forest of Dean; Woollen Industry; Lydney Ships; Medieval Gloucester; Arundell's of Gloucestershire, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, edited by Joan Evans and H.S. Gracie TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1951. Volume 70. Illusts, 176pp, original wraps. Gloucester: Printed for the Society by John Bellows, 1952. £10.00
* Includes articles:- Trade Unionism in Gloucestershire Woollen Industry; Ridley's Almshouses, Bristol; Excavations in the City of Bristol; Berkeley Castle; Parsons and Jennings families, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, edited by Joan Evans TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1953. Volume 72. Illusts, 3 folding plates, folding pedigree, 180pp, original wraps. Gloucester: Printed for the Society by John Bellows, 1954. £10.00
* Includes articles:- Excavations at Bitton; Election of a Verderer for the Forest of Dean; Iron Industry in the Forest of Dean; Old Catholic Families of Gloucestershire, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1977. Volume 95. Illusts, 128pp, original wraps. 1978. £6.00
* Includes articles:- Chest-Tombs and 'Tea Caddies'; Thornbury Castle; Wells' Bridge, Barnwood; Salmonsbury, Bourton on the Water, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, edited by B.S. Smith TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1978. Volume 96. Illusts, 110pp, roy 8vo, original wraps, name to top wrap. Bristol: Printed for the Society by Western Printing Services, 1979. £6.00
* Includes articles:- Gloucester's Parliamentary Elections; Gloucestershire Regiment in the Seven Years War; Excavations at Icomb Hill; Iron-Age Sites in the Northern Cotswolds, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, Edited by B.S. Smith and N.M. Herbert TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1979. Volume 97. Illusts, 148pp, original wraps. Gloucester: 1980. £6.00
* Includes articles on Bells of Gloucester Cathedral; Frocester Court Roman Villa; Newnham and London traders; Gloucestershire Agriculture 1801-1854, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, compiled by Susan Vaughan TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY - GENERAL INDEX to Volumes 91-100 (1972-1982). 68pp, original printed wraps. Printed for the Society. £4.00
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1986. Volume 104. Illusts, 283pp, original wraps. Gloucester: 1986. £7.00
* Includes articles:- Chartism in Gloucestershire; Wall-Painting at Oddington; Excavations in Winchcombe; Excavations at Saintbridge; The Loders, Lechlade, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1991. Volume 109. Illusts, 282pp, roy 8vo, original wraps. Gloucester: 1991. £7.00
* Includes articles:- Vineyards Farm, Charlton Kings; Charlton Kings; Lock-ups at Cirencester and Bisley; Roman Dymock; Edward Jenner's Family Background, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, edited by George C. Boon TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1993. Volume 111. Illusts, 286pp, roy 8vo, original wraps. Published for the Society by Alan Sutton, 1994. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Exley family in Bristol Education and Methodism; Charity Schoolmasters of Stroud; Keynsham Abbey; Kingsweston Villa; Tewkesbury Excavations, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, John Jurica editor TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 2002. Volume 120. Illusts, 311pp, roy 8vo, original wraps. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, Bristol: 2003. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Villages and non-Villages in Medieval Cotswolds; Shorncote Quarry excavations; Medical Care in Three Gloucestershire Prisons in early 19th c.; Anglo Saxon Charters of Stoke Bishop, a study of the boundaries, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, John Jurica editor TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 2004. Volume 122. Illusts, 256pp, roy 8vo, original wraps. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, Bristol: 2005. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Education in Medieval Bristol and Gloucestershire; Jacob's Well, Bristol; Feuding Gentry and an Affray on College Green, Bristol, in 1579; Excavations at Tockington Park Farm and Westerleigh, etc.
- Brown (Dorothy), Manco (Jean) REDISCOVERING ACTON COURT AND THE POYNTZ FAMILY. Illusts, some in colour, pedigrees, 31pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. Bristol Visual & Environmental Group, Bristol: (2009) £4.00
- Cotteswold Naturalists' Field Club PROCEEDINGS OF THE COTTESWOLD NATURALISTS' FIELD CLUB. Volume 13. Illusts and diagrams, some of which are folding, 322pp, original printed wraps bound in at the rear, half calf cloth boards, slightly rubbed to edges, ex-ref.lib. label to front endpaper, couple of leaves slightly foxed. John Bellows, Gloucester: 1898-1901. £28.00
* Includes articles:- Camps at Minchinhampton; Upton Saint Leonards; Wye Valley; Roman Architecture in Britain, etc.
- Deacon's THE GLOUCESTER COURT GUIDE AND COUNTY BLUE BOOK. A Fashionable Record, Professional Register, and General Survey of the County and of the Cities of Bristol and Bath. Lacks map, 608 + 318pp adverts, original cloth partly faded, short split to both outer hinges. London: Charles Wlliam Dacon & Co., 1899. £20.00
* Includes articles on the Geology, Archaeology, Natural History etc., etc. of the area.
- Dyde (W) THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF TEWKESBURY. The Third Edition. To which is prefixed, A Descriptive Sketch of Gloucestershire. With folding plan of the town, and 4 plates 3 of which are folding, bound without the view of the Old-Abbey Gate-House, but with 2 plates not called for:- 'Town Hall' and 'Market House', 144pp, sm 8vo, untrimmed in recent qtr calf, marbled boards and endpapers, with just the author's surname on spine, ex-lib. with the occasional stamp. Tewkesbury: Printed by the Editor. 1803. £35.00
- Eward (Suzanne), editor GLOUCESTER CATHEDRAL CHAPTER ACT BOOK 1616-1687. Gloucestershire Record Series Volume 21. xxxii + 187pp, dustwrapper. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 2007. £15.00
- Fendley (John), editor BISHOP BENSON'S SURVEY OF THE DIOCESE OF GLOUCESTER 1735 - 1750. Gloucestershire Record Series Volume 13. xx + 264pp, dustwrapper. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 2000. £20.00
- Fleming (Peter) and Wood (Michael) GLOUCESTERSHIRE'S FORGOTTEN BATTLE. NIBLEY GREEN 1470. Coloured and black and white plates, plans, pedigrees, 144pp, roy 8vo, original pictorial card covers, ex-lib., with stamp to title-page, and label to foot of spine, lacks front endpaper. Tempus, Stroud: 2003. £16.00
- Ford (Major A) REPORT ON THE CIRCUMSTANCES ATTENDING AN ACCIDENT IN THE USE OF DYNAMITE WHICH OCCURRED IN A TUNNEL IN COURSE OF CONSTRUCTION UNDER THE RIVER SEVERN, On the 23rd September 1879. 15pp, stitched and unbound as issued. London: Houses of Parliament, 1879. £22.00
- Gloucestershire Parish Registers, edited by W.P.W. Phillimore. GLOUCESTERSHIRE PARISH REGISTERS. MARRIAGES. Volume 1. vi + 149pp, recent cloth. LIMITED TO 150 COPIES. London: Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore and Co., 1896. £25.00
* Marriages celebrated in each Parish from the first entry up to the year 1812. Contains the Parishes of King's Stanley, Owlpen, Quedgeley, Rendcombe, Swindon, Forthampton, Nimpsfield and Slimbridge.
- Hodsdon (James), compiled by AN HISTORICAL GAZETTEER OF CHELTENHAM. Gloucestershire Record Series Volume 9. With 3 folding reproduction plans of Cheltenham by Cossens, Merrett, and Norman, Sawyer and Co., in pocket at rear, xiv + 208pp, dustwrapper. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, Stroud: 1997. £30.00
- Jacob (Edwin) THE AUTHORITY, NATURE, AND DUTIES OF THE CHRISTIAN MINISTRY: A Sermon, Preached in the Cathedral of Gloucester, at the General Ordination, On Sunday, December 20, 1818. 50pp, disbound. Gloucester: Printed for J. Roberts and the Author, 1819. £20.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF CHELTENHAM. 1967. With Charlton Kings, Leckhampton, and Prestbury. Lacks map as usual, 8 + 716pp, original limp card covers, slightly rubbed to edges, printed on poor quality paper which is slightly browned at edges. Kingston upon Thames: Kelly's directories Ltd, 1967. £22.00
- Riddelsdell (H.J), Hedley (G.W) and Price (W.R) FLORA OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE. Numerous illusts., 6 folding maps, 4 are in pocket at rear, clxxxii + 667pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed, 1" tear to head of spine. First edition. Cotteswold Naturalist's Field Club, Gloucester: 1948. £30.00
- Ripley (Peter), and Jurica (John), transcriber and editor A CALENDAR OF THE REGISTERS OF THE FREEMEN OF THE CITY OF GLOUCESTER 1641 - 1838. Gloucestershire Record Series Volume 4. xxx + 330pp, dustwrapper. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, Stroud: 1991. £35.00
- Rowbotham (F.W) THE SEVERN BORE. Foreword by Peter Scott. Illusts, diagrams, 100pp, lacks dustwrapper, page sdges spotty. photo of Severn Bore pasted to verso of 'Contents' leaf. First edition, David & Charles, Newton Abbot: 1964. £8.00
- Spence (Rev. H.D.), Illustrated by Herbert Railton & A. Quinton CLOISTER LIFE IN THE DAYS OF COEUR DE LION. Illusts, xii + 203 + (1)pp, roy 8vo, original decorative cloth, small amount of light foxing to prelims. First edition, Isbister & Co., Ltd., 1892. £18.00
* Contains much on Tewkesbury Abbey.
- Stokes (Ethel), Abstracted by ABSTRACTS OF INQUISITIONES POST MORTEM FOR GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Returned into the Court of Chancery During the Plantagenet Period. Part VI. 33 Edward III to 14 Henry IV. 1359-1413. x + 266pp, in 3 parts, lacking wraps, one leaf faded, one margin partly soiled. Issued to the Subscribers by The British Record Society Limited. 1914. £15.00
- Taylor (Charles S) AN ANALYSIS OF THE DOMESDAY SURVEY OF GLOUCESTERSHIRE. Pages numbered 113-348 only, parts 2, 3 and 4 of 4 original parts in the original printed wraps. lacks 2" from foot of one spine, and 2" tears to top wrap and first leaf. Published for the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society. Bristol: 1889. £5.00
- Wycliffe School THE WYCLIFFE STAR. No 176, January-August, 1943 Illusts., 96pp, original pictorial wrappers, top outer hinge partly split at head and foot of spine, 1943. £10.00
* As well as articles on the clubs and societies at the school includes many on the Second World War, as well as pictures of people in uniform.
A further selection of GLOUCESTERSHIRE Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Arlett (Mike) & Peters (Ivo) STEAM AROUND BATH. With 281 illusts, usually 2 to a page, 4to, dustwrapper. Millstream Books, Bath: 1987. £16.00
- Balch (H.E) MENDIP, its Swallet Caves and Rock Shelters. Illusts, folding table, 211pp, original cloth, few spots to spine and rear board. First edition, Clare and Son, Wells: 1937. £18.00
- Bantock (Anton) THE INSIDE STORY OF THE SMYTHS OF ASHTON COURT. Illusts, plan, 28pp, 4to, original decorative wraps, loosely inserted is a plan of Ashton Court and a duplicate of the Smyth family tree, First edition, Bristol: Malago Society, 1977. £9.00
- Bath and West of England Society LETTERS AND PAPERS on Agriculture, Planting &c. Selected from the Correspondence Book of the Society instituted at Bath, for the Encouragement of Agriculture, Arts, Manufactures, and Commerce, within the Counties of Somerset, Wilts, Gloucester, and Dorset, and the City and County of Bristol. To which is added, An Appendix.... xii + 264 + 100pp, early unlettered calf, marbled boards, slightly rubbed at edges, outer hinges cracked though sound. First edition, Bath: R. Cruttwell, 1780. £50.00
* This was the first volume of the Society's Letters and Papers. It was reprinted in 1783 and was then called 'Volume 1'. Includes articles on Rhubarb in Somerset; Turnips in Suffolk; Machines for Floating Pastures; Burnbaiting on Mendip Hills, etc.
- Bath and West of England Society LETTERS AND PAPERS on Agriculture, Planting &c. selected from the Correspondence of the Bath and West of England Society.... Volume 3. With 3 folding and 2 other plates, 498 + (1)pp, early half calf, marbled boards, rubbed to edges, lacks spine. First edition, Bath: R. Cruttwell, 1786. £30.00
* Includes:- 'On the Farm-Yard Management of Dung' by Arthur Young, and an article on 'Experiments with the English Rhubarbs made in the General Hospital at Bath'.
- Batten (John) HISTORICAL AND TOPOGRAPHICAL COLLECTIONS RELATING TO THE EARLY HISTORY OF PARTS OF SOUTH SOMERSET, viz Barwick, Chilton Cantelo, Sutton Bingham, East Coker, Brympton, Houndston, Preston, Limington, with Notices of West Coker, and Hardington Mandeville. With plates, folding pedigree, iii + 200pp, original bevelled cloth, title slightly discoloured as usual. First edition, Simpkin, Marshall & Co., London: & Whitby and Son, Yeovil, 1894. £35.00
- Bettey (J.H), editor CHEW MAGNA AND DISTRICT IN 1851. 56 leaves printed on rectos only, later unlettered marbled boards with the original wraps bound in, ex-Bristol University label to verso of top wrap, and stamp to verso of title-page. University of Bristol Extra-Mural Studies, 1973. £10.00
- Bielby (George), Allen (N.V), and others EXPLORING THE WATERS OF EXMOOR. Illusts, 64pp, original card covers. Dartington North Devon Trust, 1993. £4.00
- Buchanan (Brenda), editor BATH HISTORY. Volume 8. Illusts, maps, 200pp, original pictorial card covers. Bath Archaeological Trust, 2000. £6.00
* Includes:- Bath's Breweries 1736-1960; Barrack(s) Farm, Wellsway; Irish Migrants in Bath's History, etc.
- Castle (Virginia and Stanley) RICHARD TREW 1793-1874 MAYOR OF AXBRIDGE. A History of Axbridge in the Nineteenth Century. Illusts, maps, x + 160pp, original pictorial card covers. Privately Published, Stanley Castle, Wedmore: 1993. £10.00
- Chubb (T) A DESCRIPTIVE LIST OF THE PRINTED MAPS OF SOMERSETSHIRE 1575-1914. With Biographical Notes and Illustrations. With 16 plates, xii + 232pp, original cloth, lightly rubbed to top outer hinge, small area of damage and cloth missing from edge of top board at foot, few spots to rear board. Taunton: Published by The Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1914. £40.00
- Coulthard (Alfred J) and Watts (Martin) WINDMILLS OF SOMERSET and the Men Who Worked Them. With a Foreword by Rex Wailes. Illusts, 89pp, cr 4to, dustwrapper, ownership signature on front endpaper. Research Publishing Co. London: 1978. £12.00
- Crowden (James), Poet and Wright (George) photographer IN TIME OF FLOOD The Somerset Levels - The River Parrett. Numerous illusts, map, 147pp, original pictorial card covers, name to title-page. The Parrett Trail Partnership, Yeovil: 1996. £8.00
- Curtis (C.D) SEDGEMOOR AND THE BLOODY ASSIZE A History and Guide. With 18 Maps and Illustrations, 118pp, few light marks to the original cloth, occasional light foxing, private ownership stamp to front endpaper. First edition, Simpkin Marshall, London: 1930. £12.00
- Deane (Mary) MR. ZINZAN OF BATH; or Seen in an Old Mirror. A Novel. Frontis, 192pp, roy 8vo, original decorative cloth, covers partly lightly darkened. A.D. Innes, London: 1891. £15.00
* Set in Bath, Somerset, at the time of George II.
- Dobson (Dina Portway) THE ARCHAEOLOGY OF SOMERSET. With 7 maps and 58 illustrations. xiv + 272pp, original cloth slightly rubbed, to edges and few letters of title on spine, with a 2" split to top outer hinge. First edition, Methuen & Co., 1931. £10.00
- Duffield (C), printer publisher THE HISTORIC AND LOCAL NEW BATH GUIDE, Containing an Account of The Medicinal Virtues of the Waters; The Origin of Bath.... A Description of the Several Places of Amusement.... Also, Lists of the Body Corporate, Faculty, Attornies, Bankers, Artists, Inns, Chairmen's Fares, Post Office, Coaches, Waggons, &c. &c. Likewise an Account of The Gentlemen's seats near Bath; The City of Bristol, Hotwells and Clifton, and a concise History of Cheltenham.... Folding plan, and 1 plate, folding table, engravings in text, (iv) possibly lacks some prelims, the guide starts at page 13 to 176 and then from 181-186pp, possibly lacks 2 leaves after page 176, page 117 is pasted to verso of a plate, original printed wraps, glued into later plain wraps with ms title on spine and top wrap, the original wraps are dusty, few corners curled. Bath: C. Duffield. c.1813. £20.00
- Gilmore, Hankey & Kirke, consultants ASHTON COURT MANSION Historic Development and Future Potential. Illusts, plans, (16)pp, tall 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Bristol: 1989. £4.00
- Hawkins (Mac) SOMERSET AT WAR 1939 - 1945. Illusts, 216pp, 4to, dustwrapper. The Dovecote Press, Wimborne: 1988. £8.00
* 'This is the first book to document the history of Somerset during the second World war.'
- Hunt (T.J) and Sellman (R.R) ASPECTS OF SOMERSET HISTORY. Maps and text diagrams, 59pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. Somerset County Council, 1973. £8.00
* Includes chapters on the Civil War in Somerset; Railways; Roads; Domesday Somerset, etc.
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF WESTON-SUPER-MARE 1960. Adverts, xvi + 6 + 445pp, original card covers, rubbed to edges. Kelly's Directories, London: 1960. £15.00
- Knight (Francis A) THE SEA-BOARD OF MENDIP. An Account of the History, Archaeology and Natural History of the Parishes of Weston-super-Mare, Kewstoke, Wick St. Lawrence, Puxton, Worle, Uphill, Brean, Bleadon, Hutton, Locking, Banwell and the Steep & Flat Holms. Numerous illusts, folding map, xvi + 547pp, original cloth, amateur(?) recase with the old spine laid down, occasional foxing, neat repairs to 2 top margins at rear. First edition, London: J.M. Dent, 1902. £20.00
- McCann (John and Pamela) THE DOVECOTES OF HISTORICAL SOMERSET. Coloured and black and white illusts, 231pp, tall 8vo, original pictorial card covers, top corner slightly bruised, private bookplate to verso of top cover. Somerset Vernacular Building Research Group, 2003. £15.00
- Murless (Brian J) BRIDGWATER DOCKS AND THE RIVER PARRETT. Plans, illusts, 50pp, original pictorial card covers. Somerset County Library, 1983. £8.00
- Nott (Anthony) and Hasler (Joan), editor WELLS CONVOCATION ACTS BOOKS 1589-1665. Part 2: 1629-444; 1662-65. 493-1080pp, original cloth, ex-ref lib. with small stamps to front endpaper. Somerset Record Society, Volume 91. Taunton: 2004. £8.00
- [Plowman (T.F)] SOME COUNTRY-SIDE FOLK. By one who has known them (Otherwise T.F.P.) Illusts, roy 8vo, 47pp, original printed boards. Reprinted from "The Bath Chronicle and Argus." Bath: 1911. £12.00
- Savage (James) HISTORY OF THE HUNDRED OF CARHAMPTON, in the County of Somerset. With a frontis, xxiv + 662pp, original cloth. This reprint does not include the large folding map that was in the original edition published in 1830. Reprinted Higginson Book Company, Salem: n.d. £35.00
- Shorrocks (Derek), editor BISHOP STILL'S VISITATION 1594 AND THE 'SMALE BOOKE' OF THE CLERK OF THE PEACE FOR SOMERSET 1593-5. 193pp, original cloth. Somerset Record Society, Volume 84. Taunton: 1998. £22.00
- Skrine (H.D) SOME ACCOUNT OF THE BELGIC CAMP ON HAMPTON DOWN. A Paper Read to the Members of the Bath Selborne Society on the Site of the Belgic Camp, April 8, 1897. Map, 10pp, 12mo, original wraps. Signed by the author on the top wrap. Privately Printed, Bath: 1897. £14.00
- Somersetshire Archaeological Society SOMERSETSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY VOLUME 50. Proceedings during the year 1904. Illusts, viii + 139pp, original wraps, paper to top outer hinge ragged. Taunton: Barnicott and Pearce, 1905. £14.00
* Includes articles:- Pen-Selwood; Excavations at Lansdown; Somerset Church Towers, etc.
- Somersetshire Archaeological Society PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOMERSETSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY. Volume 94. For the Year 1948-9. Illusts, vi + 214 + (2)pp, original wraps. Frome: Printed for the Society, 1950. £10.00
* Includes articles:- Stone Pulpits in North Somerset Churches; Watchet Mint; Hugh Sexey (1556-1619); Masons' Marks on Wells Cathedral Church; Monumental Brasses in Somerset, etc.
- Squibbs (Phillip J) MORE PICTURES OF OLD BRIDGWATER. Reproduction of a typescript with numerous photographic illusts. Roy 8vo, 80pp, original cloth, with 3 postcards, of the interior of St. Mary's Church, Bridgwater, pasted to front endpapers. Privately Published, Bridgwater: 1971. £15.00
- Squibbs (Phillips James) BRIDGWATER VICTORIAN DAYS. Reproduction of a typescript with numerous photographic illusts, 112pp, roy 8vo, original cloth, couple of staples to binding are slightly rusty. Privately published, Bridgwater: 1957. £18.00
- Tunstall (Dr) RAMBLES ABOUT BATH and its Neighbourhood. Based on the Original Work by Dr. Tunstall. Containing Two Maps, Sixteen Wood-cuts, and Eight Autotypes. Lacks the 2 maps, frontis and title-page, facsimile title-page tipped in, xiv + 488 + 67 pages of local adverts, 12mo, original cloth, damp spotted, recased old spine laid down, new endpapers. Revised and re-edited, with Biographical Notices and Historical Notes. Sixth Edition. Simpkin Marshall, London: and R.E. Peach, Bath: 1876. £22.00
- University of Bristol UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL. PROCEEDINGS OF THE SPELAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY 1946-1948. Volume 6. No 1. Illusts, folding plate, 96pp, original printed wraps, slight wear. March, 1949. £5.00
* Includes:- Burrington Combe Survey; Tyning's Farm; August Hole and Longwood Woods Swallet; Earthworks between Shipham and Charterhouse-on-Mendip, etc.
- Van der Zee (Elsa) WELLS CATHEDRAL An Architectural & Historical Guide. Coloured illusts, 188pp, original pictorial card covers. Presentation inscription by the author on the title-page. Close Publications, Wells: 2012. £11.00
- Wedlake (W.J) EXCAVATIONS AT CAMERTON Somerset. A Record of Thirty Years' Excavation covering the Period from Neolithic to Saxon Times 1926-56. With a Foreword by Sir Mortimer Wheeler. Plates, textual illusts, xvii + 284pp, numerous plates, illusts and folding plans, some short and one long tear to partly faded dustwrapper, approx. 1" portion missing from foot of spine of dustwrapper. Camerton Excavation Club. 1958. £18.00
- Wells Report REPORT OF THE WELLS NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY (Affiliated to the Somerset Archaeological Society) and of the Mendip Research Committee 1916. 27pp, 12mo, original printed wraps. Wells: Printed at the Journal Office, 1917. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Roll of Honour; List of Plants in the Mendip area, etc.
- Wells Report REPORT OF THE WELLS NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY (Affiliated to the Somerset Archaeological Society) and of the Mendip Research Committee 1921. Illusts, 33pp, 12mo, original printed wraps partly faded. Shepton Mallet: Caxton Press, 1922. £10.00
* Includes articles:- Field Names; Swildon's Hole, etc.
- Wells Report REPORT OF THE WELLS NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY (Affiliated to the Somerset Archaeological Society) and of the Mendip Research Committee 1930. Illust, 43pp, 12mo, original printed wraps, staples rusty. Taunton: H.G. Mounter & Co., Ltd., 1930. £10.00
* Includes articles:- New Works at Wells (North side of the Market Place); Excursion to Meare Lake Village, etc.
- Wells Report SIXTY-SECOND ANNUAL REPORT OF THE WELLS NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY (Affiliated to the Somerset Archaeological Society) Together with the Forty-Third Annual Report of the Mendip Nature Research Committee 1950. Folding plan showing Downhead Swallet and Bos Swallet loosely inserted, 12pp, 12mo, original printed wraps. Wells: Clare, Son & Co., Ltd., 1950. £10.00
* Includes articles:- Yarnborough Stone; Downhead Swallet; Bos Swallet, etc.
- Woodward (G.H), editor CALENDAR OF SOMERSET CHANTRY GRANTS, 1548-1603. xxi + 143pp, includes a 17 page index, original cloth. Somerset Record Society. Volume 77. Taunton: 1982. £15.00
A further selection of SOMERSET Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Akerman (John Yonge) SOME ACCOUNT OF THE ABBEY OF MALMESBURY in the Days of the Anglo-Saxon Kings; With Remarks on the Ancient Limits of The Forest of Braden. Large folding map mounted on linen, 59pp, 4to, lacks wraps, title slightly dusty and ragged with a few short tears, linen slightly discoloured, occasional light foxing. Reprinted from Archaeologia. London: J.B. Nichols and Sons. 1857. £28.00
- Crampton (Patrick) STONEHENGE OF THE KINGS. A People Appear. Diagrams in the text, 171pp, short tear to dustwrapper. The Scientific Book Club, 1967. £5.00
- Cunnington (William), and Godard (Rev. E.H), compiled by CATALOGUE OF ANTIQUITIES IN THE MUSEUM of the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society at Devizes. Part I. The Stourhead Collection. Numerous textual illusts, 96pp, original printed wraps slightly dusty, tiled inink on spine. Published by the Society at the Museum, Devizes: 1896. £10.00
- Dames (Michael) THE SILBURY TREASURE. The Great Goddess Rediscovered. Illusts, diagrams, maps, plans, 192pp, original pictorial card covers. Reprinted, Thames and Hudson, London: 1992. £5.00
- Edwards (Kathleen), editor THE REGISTERS OF ROGER MARTIVAL Bishop of Salisbury 1315-1330. Vol I. The Register of Presentations and Institutions to Benefices. xvi + 430pp, original wraps. Canterbury & York Society. Oxford: 1959. £10.00
- Firmager (Gabrielle & Douglas), editors SEMINGTON Past and Present. Illusts, plans, maps, 208pp, original pictorial card covers, inscription on half-title. Semington History Project Group, Bradford on Avon: 2002. £12.00
- Francis (Evelyn) AVEBURY. Illusts, 58pp, sm 8vo, original pictorial wraps. Wooden Books, Presteigne: 2000. £5.00
- Fry (Edw. Alex.) ABSTRACTS OF WILTSHIRE INQUISITIONES POST MORTEM, Returned into the Court of Chancery in the Reign of King Henry III, Edward I, and Edward II. A.D. 1242 - 1326. xv + 505pp, untrimmed in early half calf, raised bands, leather label on spine, cloth boards, slightly rubbed, marbled endpapers, ex-lib, with number to base of spine and label to front endpaper, small stamp to title-page. Issued to the Subscribers by the British Record Society, 1908. £28.00
- Gillman's GILLMAN'S DEVIZES PUBLIC REGISTER and Business Directory, for 1898. Fortieth Year of Publication. 188pp, includes numerous adverts, 12mo, lacks wraps, portion missing from top margin of first advert leaf. G. Gillman, Devizes. 1898. £12.00
- Hicks (Ian), editor EARLY MOTOR VEHICULE REGISTRATION IN WILTSHIRE 1903-1914. A few illusts in the text, xxi + 554pp, dustwrapper. Wiltshire Record Society, Volume 58, Trowbridge: 2006. £16.00
- Jackson (Gwyneth F), and others A TALE OF TWO MANORS ZEALS. A Wiltshire Village. Illusts, 207pp, roy 8vo, original decorative card covers. Dickins, Higher Flax Mill, Castle Cary: 1997. £18.00
- Marlborough Burgesses 1869-70. THE BURGESS ROLL of the Borough of Marlborough, in the County of Wilts. 13 pages printed on rectos only, original printed wraps partly faded, spine partly split. Marlborough: Emberlin, Printer, High Street. (1870) £20.00
* Not in Goddard's Wiltshire Bibliography. Gives the names and addresses of the Burgesses.
- Moody (Henry) NOTES AND ESSAYS, Archaeological, Historical, and Topographical, relating To the Counties of Hants and Wilts. xvi + 271pp, sm 8vo, original cloth, slightly rubbed and partly faded, inner hinges cracked though sound, signs where bookplate removed from front pastedown. Winchester: Published by the Author. 1851. £18.00
- Phillimore's Parish Register Series THE MARRIAGE REGISTERS OF YATTON KEYNELL. 1653 to 1812. Pages numbered 127 to 136, original cloth, with paper label on top board, embossed stamp of Phillimore to front endpaper. Phillimore. (1909) £10.00
- Pitts (Mike) HENGEWORLD. Life in Britain 2000 BC as revealed by the latest discoveries at Stonehenge, Avebury and Stanton Drew. Plates, diagrams, maps, plans, 404pp, dustwrapper, pencil notes to front endpaper. Century, London: 2000. £10.00
- Sandell (R.E), editor ABSTRACTS OF WILTSHIRE INCLOSURE AWARDS AND AGREEMENTS viii + 164pp, few small marks to original cloth. Impression of 400 Copies. Wiltshire Records Branch Volume 25. Devizes: 1971. £9.00
- Sandell (R.E), editor ABSTRACTS OF WILTSHIRE TITHE APPORTIONMENTS viii + 164pp, original cloth, slightly faded. Impression of 425 Copies. Wiltshire Records Branch Volume 30, Devizes: 1975. £12.00
- Ward (Thomas Rawdon) A LETTER ADDRESSED TO THE PROVOST AND FELLOWS OF KING'S COLLEGE, CAMBRIDGE. Relative to the Non-Renewal of Some Copyhold Lands at Ogbourne St. Andrew, Wilts. 16pp, unbound, stitched as issued. Egham: C.C. Wetton, 1844. £18.00
- Warneford (F.E), editor STAR CHAMBER SUITS OF JOHN AND THOMAS WARNEFORD. xix + 108pp, original cloth. Impression of 500 Copies. Wiltshire Records Branch Volume 48. Devizes: 1993. £6.00
- West Wilts Printing Co. HISTORIC SPOTS IN WILTSHIRE. Illusts, 146pp, original cloth, spine darkened and slightly rubbed. West Wilts Printing Co. Ltd. Trowbridge: c.190- £12.00 --- See sample text
* Includes chapters on:- Westbury White Horse; Farleigh Castle; Malmesbury Abbey; Lacock Abbey; Longleat House; Corsham Court; Avebury; Stonehenge; Bowood, etc.
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE. Volume 38. No CXXI. Plates, 379-542pp, original wraps, spine slightly chipped, portion of most leaves slightly crinkled. Devizes: C.H. Woodward, June 1914. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Church of S. John the Baptist and S. Helen, Wroughton; Sir William Sharington's Work at Lacock, Sudeley and Dudley; Malmesbury Abbey, etc.
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE. Volume 47. No CLXII. Plates, 168pp, original printed wraps. Devizes: Henry Bull, June, 1935. £5.00
* Includes articles:- Birds of Wiltshire; Excavations at Easton Down, Winterslow; Earthen Circles near Highworth; Imber Brook in the Reign of King Charles, etc.
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE. Volume 77 for 1982. With plates, diagrams, and plans, 190pp, original printed card covers. Alan Sutton, Stroud: 1982. £6.00
* Includes articles:- George and Dragon Inn, Potterne; Roman Military Metalwork from Wiltshire; Early Oil Paintings of Stonehenge; Water Vole in Wiltshire; Third Century Hoard from Aldbourne, etc.
- Wiltshire Family History Society THE BISHOP'S TRANSCRIPTS AND PARISH REGISTERS OF NORTH BRADLEY. BAPTISMS Part 2. 1767-1837. 68pp, small folio, original printed wraps, clip-on plastic spine, few pages slightly creased. Wiltshire Family History Society, 1990. £12.00
A further selection of WILTSHIRE Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Admiralty A LIST OF THE FLAG OFFICERS AND OTHER COMMISSIONED OFFICERS OF HER MAJESTY'S FLEET. With The Dates of Their Respective Commissions. By Authority. 365pp, contemporary half calf, marbled boards, portions of calf missing from spine, covers rubbed, outer and inner hinges partly cracked. William Clowes, London: 1843. £30.00
- Barton (D.B) A HISTORICAL SURVEY OF THE MINES AND MINERAL RAILWAYS OF EAST CORNWALL AND WEST DEVON. Textual illusts and maps, 102pp, original pictorial card covers, presentation card pasted to verso of top cover, some spotting to prelims. First edition, D. Bradford Barton, Truro: 1964. £5.00
- Bath and West of England Society JOURNAL OF THE BATH AND WEST OF ENGLAND SOCIETY AND SOUTHERN COUNTIES ASSOCIATION for the encouragement of Agriculture..... Volume 7. Third Series. Illusts in the text, iv + 205 + cxxxvipp, original paper wraps, head of spine slightly chipped. London: William Clowes, 1875. £15.00
* Includes:- Buckman on The Geology of the County of Cornwall; Darby on Sussex Cattle, etc.
- Bennett (Francis) THE ROADS OF DEVON AND CORNWALL An historical journey along the tracks and roads of the West Country with the directions and road books of the guide, the maps of the surveyor and itineraries of the travellers. Illusts, vi + 194pp, small 4to, original decorative card covers. Privately Printed for the Author, 2007. £22.00
- Blizzard in the West THE BLIZZARD IN THE WEST. Being a Record and Story of the Disastrous Storm which raged throughout DEVON & CORNWALL, & WEST SOMERSET on the night of March 9th, 1891. Illusts, 168pp, 12mo, printed card wraps, top cover loose, slightly shaken, few small portions missing from one edge and corners of covers, lacks spine, old cellotape marks across covers. London: Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent. Devonport: A.H. Swiss, c.1892. £12.00
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 25. Part 8 of 8 only. Plates, title-page for volume, pages numbered 209-230 complete, original printed wraps. James Townsend, Exeter: October, 1953. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Cornish Crosses; Devonshire Connection with Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, 1559-1713; Advowdson of St Buryan, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 26. Part 6 of 10 only. 3 plates, pages numbered 161-192, complete, original printed wraps. James Townsend & Sons Ltd. Exeter: January, 1955. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Cornish Crosses; S. Mary the Virgin, Abbotskerswell, Devon; Broadhampton; The Dowrish Brass, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 28. Part 11 of 11 only. With title-page, and list of plates for volume, pages numbered 305-341, complete, original printed wraps. James Townsend, Exeter: October, 1961. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Rural Dean of Totnes; Mortehoe; Rectors of Dunchideock from 1261, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 35. Part 5 of 10 only. Illusts, plan, pages numbered 165-200, complete, original card covers, inscription on top wrap. Tiverton: Maslands, Spring, 1984. £4.00
* Includes articles:- 'Plottes of Morden Mylles', Cotehele; Teign Oyster Beds; Alexander Barclay at Ottery St. Mary, etc.
- Dugdale (James) THE NEW BRITISH TRAVELLER; or, Modern Panorama of England and Wales; An ample and accurate and popular account, Historical, Topographical and Statistical.... 4 volumes bound in 2, lacks plates and maps, with engraved and printed title-pages + iiv + 628pp, and 606pp and 736p and 789pp + (3)pp, 4to, contemporary half calf, marbled boards, rubbed to edges, raised bands, lacks lettering pieces and portions chipped from head and foot of spines, top outer hinge partly split to volume 1, and top board loose to volume 2. London: Printed by and for J. and J. Cundee, 1819. £45.00
* With chapters on all of the English counties, as well as Wales.
- Ellen (Maurice), editor WELLINGTON COLLEGE REGISTER. January, 1859 - December, 1962. Plans, illusts in text, xii + 435 + lxxxpp, original cloth. Eighth Edition. Compiled for The Old Wellingtonian Society. (Berkshire), (1965) £8.00
- Ewing (J.A) THE STEAM-ENGINE AND OTHER HEAT-ENGINES. Textual illusts, xvi + 456pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed, lower corner of top board bruised. Stereotyped Edition, Cambridge at the University Press, 1899. £12.00
- Exmoor Society THE EXMOOR REVIEW. 1970. The Journal of the Exmoor Society. Supplement, the Trees and Woods of Exmoor. 116pp, maps, original pictorial covers, few spots to one leaf. The Exmoor Society, Dulverton: 1970. £5.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset. Includes:- Hill Farming on Exmoor; Birds of Exmoor; Port of Watchet, etc.
- Exmoor Society THE EXMOOR REVIEW. 1974. The Journal of the Exmoor Society. 124pp, maps, original pictorial covers. The Exmoor Society, Dulverton: 1974. £4.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset. Includes:- Dulverton; Brendon Valley Study; Dunster,, etc.
- Gross (Charles) A BIBLIOGRAPHY OF BRITISH MUNICIPAL HISTORY including Gilds and Parliamentary Representation. A Second Edition with a Preface by G.H. Martin. xxxiv + 461pp, few spots to dustwrapper, and to fore-edges. Reprint of 1897 edition. Leicester University Press, 1966. £8.00
- [Groves (Muriel)], editor SHIPTON UNDER WYCHWOOD. Plates, 61pp, original card covers, slightly rubbed to head of spine. G.R.C. Brook and Co., (1934) £15.00
- Harrison (S.E) THE TRAMWAYS OF PORTSMOUTH. Illusts, 138pp, original cloth, spine faded, outer hinges rubbed, back outer hinge split. Published by the Light Railway Transport League, London: 1955. £8.00
- Hawkins (Desmond) CRANBORNE CHASE. Map endpapers, plates, 192pp, dustwrapper, private ownership label to front endpaper. Victor Gollancz Ltd., London: 1980. £8.00
* Cranborne Chase spreads over 3 counties, Dorset, Hampshire and Wiltshire.
- Hudson (Kenneth) THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SOUTHERN ENGLAND (Hampshire, Wiltshire, Dorset, Somerset, and Gloucestershire east of the Severn) Plates, textual illusts, maps, 218pp, slightly rubbed dustwrapper. First edition, David and Charles, Dawlish: 1965. £14.00
- Hull (F) KENTISH MAPS AND MAP-MAKERS 1590-1840. Illusts, 36pp, 4to, ex-lib., occasional stamp, original card covers, Kent County Council, Maidstone: 1973. £9.00
* A selection of the manuscript estate maps held in the county archives.
- Kingston (William H.G) A YACHT VOYAGE ROUND ENGLAND. New Edition, Revised and Enlarged. Numerous illustrations, 320pp, original decorative cloth, a.e.g., lightly rubbed to edges, splash mark to margin of one leaf, some discolouration to verso of front endpaper and to verso of frontis. Religious Tract Society. London: c.1880. £20.00
* The story of 2 boys and their father who travel round the coast from the Solent, and includes information on the places they stopped off to visit. Over half the work is devoted to the portion of the voyage round the coast of Dorset, Devon and Cornwall.
- Mercer and Crocker's MERCER & CROCKER'S GENERAL TOPOGRAPHICAL AND HISTORICAL DIRECTORY FOR OXFORDSHIRE. &c. Comprising classified lists of the Nobility, Clergy, Bankers.... with an Alphabetical list of the Inhabitants.... The work commences with an Account of Each Town and Village.... Lacks map, (iv) + 17-127 + 1 page of adverts, complete, disbound. Leicester: Mercer & Crocker, 1874. £20.00
* Extracted from a larger work, hence no title-page.
- Minchinton (Walter), editor RELATIONS TO ECONOMIC CHANGE 1750-1939 Exeter Papers in Economic History No 12. 117pp, folio, original pictorial wraps. University of Exeter: 1979. £8.00
- Owners of Land RETURN OF OWNERS OF LAND IN KENT IN 1873. Kent section, exclusive of the Metropolis, giving names of owners who owned more than an acre, address, extent of lands, and rental. Folio, 52pp, disbound. First edition, London: George Edward Eyre and William Spottiswode for H.M.S.O. 1875. £10.00
- Owners of Land RETURN OF OWNERS OF LAND IN WESTMORELAND IN 1873. Westmoreland section giving names of owners who owned more than an acre, address, extent of lands, and rental. Folio, 18pp, disbound. First edition, London: George Edward Eyre and William Spottiswode for H.M.S.O. 1875. £6.00
- Owners of Land RETURN OF OWNERS OF LAND IN WORCESTER IN 1873. Worcestershire section giving names of owners who owned more than an acre, address, extent of lands, and rental. Folio, 38pp, disbound. First edition, London: George Edward Eyre and William Spottiswode for H.M.S.O. 1875. £10.00
- Pennington (Robert R) STANNARY LAW. A History of the Mining Law of Devon and Cornwall. 229pp, dustwrapper. David & Charles, Newton Abbot: 1973. £12.00
- Raistrick (A), editor THE HATCHETT DIARY A tour through the counties of England and Scotland in 1796 visiting their mines and manufactories. Edited and with an introduction by Arthur Raistrick. Map, textual illusts, 114pp, dustwrapper foxed, internally sound. D. Bradford Barton, Truro: 1967. £12.00
* Hatchett visited the stone quarries of Portland in Dorset, the lignite mines at Bovey in Devon, and several Cornish tin mines.
- Snell (F.J) THE BLACKMORE COUNTRY. Second edition with 32 full-page illustrations from photographs by Catherine W. Barnes Ward. Illusts, folding map, xxviii + 288pp, original cloth, lightly rubbed, slightly shaken. Second edition, Adam and Charles Black, London: 1911. £10.00 --- See sample text
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset.
- Somerset and Dorset NOTES AND QUERIES FOR SOMERSET AND DORSET. Volume 11. 395pp, complete in 8 parts all in the original printed wraps. Sherborne: March 1908-December 1909. £14.00
* Includes articles:- Bayliffe of Castle Cary; Beaminster deeds; Lillington Manor; Mere registers; Swinnerton-Dyer family; Stawell Monuments, etc.
- Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries, editors D.M.M. Shorrocks and G.J. Davies NOTES AND QUERIES FOR SOMERSET AND DORSET Volume 32. Part 323. Pages numbered:- 477-532, original printed wraps. Creeds, Bridport: 1986. £4.00
* Includes articles:- William Barnes 8 articles; Brewcombe; Lichtenberg's letter to William Herschel, etc.
- Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries, editor G.J. Davies NOTES AND QUERIES FOR SOMERSET AND DORSET Volume 35. Part 357 only. Pages numbered 185-232, original printed wraps. Creeds, Bridport: 2003. £4.00
* Includes articles:- War Crimes in the Civil War; Dorset By-election of 1831, Bubwith's Almshouse, Wells, etc.
- University College of South West DEVON AND CORNWALL A Preliminary Survey. A Report Issued by The Survey Committee of the University College Of The South West, Exeter. Maps, diagrams, map endpapers, illusts, 318pp, sm 4to, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, with a couple of short snags to head of spine. Exeter: A. Wheaton and Co. Ltd. 1947. £10.00 --- See sample text
* Includes chapters on Industries, Fisheries, Geology, Minerals, etc.
- Waters (Ivor) CHEPSTOW PRINTERS AND NEWSPAPERS. Plates and textual illusts, 86pp, dustwrapper. Limited to 120 Copies. Moss Rose Press, Chepstow: 1981. £12.00
- Watson (J.N.P) CAPTAIN-GENERAL AND REBEL CHIEF The Life of James, Duke of Monmouth. Foreword by His Grace the Duke of Buccleuch and Queensberry, K.T. Plates, maps and diagrams, xxiii + 311pp, dustwrapper. London: George Allen and Unwin, 1979. £18.00
* Signed by the author on the title-page and presentation inscription from him on front endpaper.
Back to the TopCopyright © Ambra Books - 2020. All rights reserved.
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :-
Tel:- ( 0117 ) 9076899
E-mail :- email@example.com
Bristol -- Bristol Clearance
Cornwall -- Cornwall Clearance
Devon -- Devon Clearance
Dorset -- Dorset Clearance
Gloucestershire -- Gloucestershire Clearance
Somerset -- Somerset Clearance
Wiltshire -- Wiltshire Clearance
General Local History -- General Clearance
GENERAL Local History :- Selection of items I wish to purchase
GENERAL Local History :- Selection of manuscripts, maps, ephemera etc. for sale from Lesley Aitchison.
AMBRA BOOKS Home page