DEVON - History and Topography
Antiquarian and Secondhand Books
This is a selection from my stock.
Please let me know if there are any other titles you are looking for.
Click on:- ORDERING details
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :- ( 0117 ) 9076899
Postage, packing and insurance are extra.
When ordering from this list please note item No., Author, and Title.
Payment can be made by either sterling cheque, or by bank transfer.
Prices are nett.
Click to go to:- DEVON Clearance List
- Alexander (J.J) and Hooper (W.R) HISTORY OF GREAT TORRINGTON in the County of Devon. With a large folding map, numerous plates, text illusts, xiii + 261pp, 4to, few short tears to slightly spotty dustwrapper. Sutton: Advance Studio, 1948. £95.00
- Ashton (Ald. Lieut-Col. H), Oliver (Bruce W), and others THE BOROUGH OF A THOUSAND YEARS. 930 - 1930. Being the Official Millenary Souvenir Brochure. 58pp, original wraps, tall 12mo, presentation copy from the Mayor, etc. Published with the authority of the Barnstaple Town Council. (1935) £20.00
* Includes a list of all the Mayors of Barnstaple since 1303.
- Axminster ECCLESIASTICA, Or A Book of Remembrance Wherein the Rise, Constitution, Rule, Order, and Discipline of the Church of Christ, ordinarily Assembling at Wyecroft, in the Parish of Axminster, is faithfully Recorded. Together with the most Remarkable Occurrences and signall Providences which have attended the same from the first Foundation thereof. By the Order & Appointment of the Church. 131pp, 12mo, original limp cloth, slightly rubbed and with a few damp spots to top corners of boards, internally clean, inner hinges cracked. First edition, J. Townsend Printer, Exeter: (1874) £35.00
* Includes 'a Catalogue of the Names of such as were Members of the Church, Actually in fellowship when it was first Agreed by them that this Church Register should be kept.... '
- Baker (George), Prebendary of St. Peter's in Exeter THE RESPECT DUE TO A CHURCH OF GOD. Preached Oct. 11. 1733. At the Consecration of St. George's Chapel in Riverton, In the County of Devon, By the Right Reverend Father in God Stephen Lord Bishop of Exon. 32pp, disbound. London: Printed for S. Birt at the Bible in Avemary-Lane, and E. Score over against the Guildhall-Hall in Exeter: 1733. £25.00
- Banfield (J), printer A GUIDE TO NORTH DEVON. Comprehending a General Survey of the History and Objects most worthy of Remark to which is added a Geological and Botanical account. A New Edition. With a folding map, a folding plan and 5 steel engraved vignette views, 155pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed, head and foot of spine slightly chipped, short split to rear outer hinge. Ilfracombe: Printed by J. Banfield. c.184- £75.00
* This edition not in Brockett's Devon Union List.
- Banks (M.L) BLUNDELL'S WORTHIES. Illusts, 220pp, sm 4to, untrimmed in the original qtr parchment, paper boards, spine slightly darkened. Limited to 50 numbered copies on hand-made paper. London: Chatto & Windus. Exeter: James G. Commin, 1904. £40.00
- Baring-Gould (S) THE BROOM SQUIRE. With 12 plates, vi + (ii) + 384 + 37 pages of publisher's adverts, original cloth, spine slightly faded, and slightly rubbed to edges, few small spots to cloth. Third Edition, London: Methuen & Co., 1896. £15.00
- Barnstaple REPORT ON THE BOROUGH OF BARNSTAPLE. Title + pages numbered 428-434, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound. House of Commons, London: 1835. £10.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Batten (Kit) THE TOURISTS MAPS OF DEVON Guide Book and Folding Maps 1810-1901. Numerous coloured and black and white illusts, xxxiv + 415pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. Published for the author by Little Silver Publications, Exeter: 2011. £45.00
* 'A catalogue of 250 printed maps of towns, cities and regional districts....'
- Bearman (Robert), editor CHARTERS OF THE REDVERS FAMILY AND THE EARLDOM OF DEVON 1090-1217. Frontis, sketch maps, xvi + 227pp, original pictorial card covers. Devon & Cornwall Record Society New Series, Volume 37. Torquay: 1994. £12.00
- Besley (T), printer and publisher THE REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONERS CONCERNING CHARITIES; containing that part which relates to the COUNTY OF DEVON. Volumes 1 and 2 of 4 only. viii + 334 and viipp + 336 and viipp, contemporary qtr calf, marbled boards, lightly rubbed to edges. Printed and Published by T. Besley, Jun. Cathedral-Yard, Exeter: 1826 and 1828. £40.00
* Gives details of the various 'Gifts' and their disbursements in each parish. There are also tables of lands owned by charities with lists of rent, names of lessees, descriptions of tenements, etc.
- Besleys DIRECTORY OF EXETER and Suburbs. 1948. (121st Consecutive Year of Publication). Large folding map, xxiv + 272pp, numerous adverts, small 4to, original printed card covers. Exeter: Besley and Copp Ltd., 1948. £45.00
- Bidgood (R.F) TWO VILLAGES The Story of Mortenhoe and Woolacombe. Folding map, illusts, 88pp, original illustrated card covers. Signed presentation inscription on the front cover. Third edition, revised and enlarged, Privately published, Woolacombe: (1975) £8.00
- Billings (M) DIRECTORY AND GAZETTEER OF THE COUNTY OF DEVON, containing a descriptive account of every Town, Village, Hamlet, etc. followed by a General Directory. vi + 777 + (iii) + 192 pages of local adverts, recent cloth. M. Billings, Birmingham: 1857. £195.00
- Bishop (Herbert E) and Prideaux (Edith K) THE BUILDING OF THE CATHEDRAL OF ST. PETER IN EXETER. Illusts, 2 folding plans, 186pp, untrimmed in the original buckram, one corner of top cover bruised, spine slightly faded, few small spots to covers. First edition, Exeter: James G. Commin, 1922. £25.00
- Boggis (Rev. R.J.E.) A HISTORY OF THE DIOCESE OF EXETER. xvi + 635pp, original cloth lightly rubbed and slightly spotty. Exeter: William Pollard, 1922. £45.00
* Loosely inserted is a typed letter, dated March 1973, signed by Margaret Reed to a Mr George requesting help with some research she was doing for her book on Pilton. Her book was published c.1977.
- Born (Anne) A HISTORY OF KINGSBRIDGE AND SALCOMBE. Plates, textual diagrams, xii + 179pp, roy 8vo, dustwrapper. Phillimore, Chichester: 1986. £10.00
- Bourne (John), editor GEORGIAN TIVERTON. The Political Memoranda of Beavis Wood 1768 - 98. Frontis, xxvii + 180pp, original card covers. Devon and Cornwall Record Society New Series, Volume 29. Torquay: 1986. £4.00
- Bowring (D. Warrell) ILFRACOMBE Throughout the Ages. Illusts., 119pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, a couple of pages carelessly opened. Exeter: A. Wheaton, 1931. £28.00
- Branscombe, transcribed and edited by H. Tapley-Soper and Elijah Chick. THE REGISTER OF BAPTISMS, MARRIAGES AND BURIALS OF THE PARISH OF BRANSCOMBE, DEVON, 1539-1812. Frontis, x + errata + 308pp, untrimmed, partly unopened, loose in parts and unbound, as issued, small stain to top margin of approx 15 leaves. Exeter: The Devon and Cornwall Record Society, 1913. £40.00
- Breton (Rev. H. Hugh) BEAUTIFUL DARTMOOR And its Interesting Antiquities. In Three Parts. Part II only. The Northern Quarter of the Moor. Illusts, adverts, (xiv) + 80 + (24) pages of local adverts, original card covers, covers very lightly rubbed to edges of spine, small portion missing from foot of spine. First edition, Plymouth: Hoyten and Cole, (1912) £15.00
- Briggs (T.R. Archer) FLORA OF PLYMOUTH: An Account of the Flowering Plants and Ferns found within Twelve Miles of the Town: With Brief Sketches of the Topography, Geology, and Climate of the Area, and History of Local Botanical Investigation. With coloured folding map, xxxv + 432pp, original cloth, few small spots to prelims. First edition, London: John Van Voorst, 1880. £65.00
* Presentation inscription by the author on the front endpaper.
- Brushfield (T.N) PRESIDENT'S ADDRESS. 134pp, original printed wraps, wraps loose and slightly ragged. First edition, Reprinted from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association... 1893. £25.00
* Signed presentation inscription by the author on the top wrap. His address is on the 'Literature of Devon'. Brushfield went on to reprint it privately in the same year.
- Burnard (Robert) DARTMOOR PICTORIAL RECORDS. Consisting of Sixteen Illustrations from Negatives by the Author, Reproduced in permanent form by the Autotype Company; With textual Plans, Woodcuts, and Descriptive Letterpress. Volume 2 only of 4 volumes. Illusts, 60pp, original qtr roan, spine rubbed, lacking approx. 1" at foot of spine, and missing 'D' and 'A' from title. LIMITED TO 200 COPIES. Signed and Numbered by Burnard and the printers. Privately Printed. W. Brendon & Son, George Street, Plymouth: 1891. £30.00
- Burnard (Robert) DARTMOOR PICTORIAL RECORDS. Consisting of Eighteen Illustrations from Negatives by the Author, Reproduced in permanent form by the Autotype Company; With a Map, Woodcuts, and Descriptive Letterpress. Volume 3 only of 4 volumes. Illusts, 74pp, original qtr roan, couple of splash marks to front cover, Dartington Hall stamp to front endpaper, and the bookplate of Thurston Peter, the Cornish author to front pastedown. LIMITED TO 200 COPIES. Signed and numbered by Burnard and the Printers. Privately Printed. W. Brendon & Son, Plymouth: 1893. £40.00
- Burnard (Robert) DARTMOOR PICTORIAL RECORDS. Illustrations from Negatives by the Author, reproduced in permanent form by the Autotype Company; With a Plan, Woodcuts, and Descriptive Letterpress. With 69 photographic plates, 4 volumes, 56, 60, 74 and 84pp, includes list of subscriber's, original qtr morocco, cloth boards, few light marks to cloth, head of 2 spines chipped. The first volume is limited to 150 copies, volumes, 2, 3, and 4, are limited to 200 copies. All volumes signed by Burnard and the Printers. Privately Printed. Plymouth: W. Brendon, Printers, 1890-1894. £300.00
* Volume 1 has a presentation inscription, on the front endpaper, from Francis H. Balkwill, listed as one of the original subscribers, to his brother and sister.
- Bush (Robin) THE BOOK OF EXMOUTH. Numerous illusts, cr 4to, 148pp, partly faded dustwrapper. Numbered Limited Edition. Includes 2 page list of subscribers. Buckingham: Barracuda Books, 1978. £20.00
* Signed by the author on title-page.
- Capern (Thomas) THE MIGHTY CURATIVE POWERS OF MESMERISM, Proved in Upwards of One Hundred and Fifty Cases of Various Diseases. 120pp, original cloth, partly faded, few marks to covers, lacks front endpaper, private library label to front pastedown. London: H. Bailliere, 1851. £60.00
* Concerns his account of illnesses 'cured' in Tiverton. 'William Pope, yeoman, of Tiverton, aged 50 years, was attacked about four months ago with a severe pain in his right arm.... ' 'James Gill, Tiverton, weaver, in the employ of Mr. Cosway, was afflicted with rheumatism in the left arms and shoulder for three months....'
- Carrington (Nicholas Toms) THE BANKS OF THE TAMAR, A Poem, With other Pieces. vi + (vi) + 160pp, includes a list of subscribers, early half calf, marbled boards, endpapers and page edges, raised bands, spine gilt tooled, covers rubbed mainly to edges. Plymouth-Dock: Printed for the Author by John Congdon, 1820. £110.00
- Chanter (Charlotte) FERNY COMBES. A Ramble After Ferns in the Glens and Valleys of Devonshire. With a folding map of the county, and 7 coloured plates, lacks frontis, vi + 118 + (ii) + 24pp of publishers adverts, 12mo, original cloth, damp spotty, rear hinge cracked, cellotape holding front inner hinge. Second Edition, London: Lovell Reeve, 1857. £12.00
- Chanter (J.R) MEMORIALS DESCRIPTIVE AND HISTORICAL OF THE CHURCH OF ST. PETER, BARNSTAPLE, With its other Ecclesiastical Antiquities; and an Account of the Conventual Church of St. Mary Magdalene, recently discovered. Frontis, 188pp, original cloth, spine faded. Barnstaple: Henry A. Foyster, 90, High Street. (1882) £35.00
- Chanter (John Frederick) A HISTORY OF THE PARISHES OF LYNTON AND COUNTISBURY. Their Antiquities, Manors, Churches and Families, and Some Account of the Natural History of the Neighbourhood. With 8 plates and 7 pedigrees 3 of which are folding, 192pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, partly faded as usual. First edition, Exeter: James G. Commin, 1907. £50.00
- Chanter (John R) LUNDY ISLAND. A Monograph, Descriptive and Historical, with notices of its Distinguishing Features in Natural History. With folding map, 171pp, 12mo, original bevelled cloth, some spotting to front and rear endpapers and to prelims, few marks to front endpaper, covers protected with a loose transparent plastic sheet, name in ink to front endpaper, and another name in pencil to rear. First edition, London: Cassell, Petter, and Galpin., c.1877. £80.00
- Chanter (John Roberts) SKETCHES OF THE LITERARY HISTORY OF BARNSTAPLE, Being the substance of A Series of Papers read at the Literary Institution, Barnstaple. To which is added the Diary of Philip Wyot, Town Clerk of Barnstaple, from 1586 to 1608. 129pp, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges, small portion chipped from head of spine, short tear to one margin, neatly repaired with archival tape. Signature of Edward Windeatt to front endpaper. Barnstaple: Printed and Sold by R.J. Arnold, High Street. Preface dated 1866. £45.00
- Chapman (Gordon) DEVON AT THE CINEMA An Illustrated History of Cinema Going. Numerous illusts, 160pp, dustwrapper. Devon Books, Tiverton: 2000. £12.00
- Chapple (William) A REVIEW OF PART OF RISDON'S SURVEY OF DEVON; Containing the General Description of that County; with Corrections, Annotations and Additions. iv + vii list of subscribers + 1-116 and 125-144pp, complete, the page numbers 117-124 were omitted in the pagination, 4to, uncut in the original paper boards, later spine, with a dustwrapper and contained within a paper slipcase, page edges slightly dusty. First edition, Exeter: Printed and Sold by R. Thorn in Fore-Street. 1785. £50.00
- Church (Steve) THE DEVON LANDSCAPE. An appraisal of Devon's Landscape at the beginning of the 21st Century. Maps, photographic illusts which are mainly in colour, 176pp, dustwrapper, large oblong 4to. Devon Books, Tiverton: 2002. £20.00
- Clayden (Arthur W) THE HISTORY OF DEVONSHIRE SCENERY. An Essay In Geographical Evolution. With 43 plates, viii + 202pp, original cloth. First edition, Chatto and Windus, London. James G. Commin, Exeter: 1906. £10.00
* This forms part 2 of volume 4 of Devon Notes and Queries.
- Cleaveland (E) A GENEALOGICAL HISTORY OF THE NOBLE AND ILLUSTRIOUS FAMILY OF COURTENAY. In Three Parts. The First giveth an Account, Of the Counts of Edessa, Of that Family. The Second, Of that Branch that is in France. The Third, Of that Branch that is in England. viii + 305 + 32pp, with genealogical tables, lacks half-title, folio, later half vellum, raised bands, leather label, marbled boards, and endpapers. Exon: Printed by Edw. Farley, at Shakespear's Head near East-gate. 1735. £220.00
* The third part mainly concerns the Courtenays of Powderham.
- Cluer (Andrew) PLYMOUTH AND PLYMOUTHIANS Photographs & Memories. Plates, 146 unnumbered pages, 4to, original decorative card covers, short split to foot of rear outer hinge. First edition, Lantern Books, Plymouth: 1974. £8.00
- Cock (John) RECORDS OF YE ANTIENT BOROUGH OF SOUTH MOLTON. in ye County of Devon. Illusts, (vii) + 255pp, original cloth. Printed by James Townsend, Exeter. Published by the Author, at Woodville, South Molton: 1893. £58.00
- Cockrem (E), printer and publisher TORQUAY AND TOR DIRECTORY, and General Advertiser. 29 issues and 10 supplements. The main issues were issued every 2 weeks, and are numbered from 157-186. they consist of 8pp, the supplements were issued the week following the main issue, with the same issue number, and were 4pp. This run appears to lack the main issue for No 180, but does have the supplement. There are no supplements from issues 159-175 inclusive, or for 186, it could be that none were issued for these numbers. One issue lacks one leaf, another has just the first leaf. Folio, early half roan, marbled boards, rubbed, hinges partly split, front inner margin reinforced with transparent tape, occasional foxing and ink splash, few small marginal tears. Torquay, E. Cockrem, November 7th, 1845 to December 18th, 1846. £180.00
- Colby (Frederic T), editor THE VISITATION OF THE COUNTY OF DEVON IN THE YEAR 1564, With Additions from the Earlier Visitation of 1531. 249pp, roy 8vo, recent cloth. First edition, Exeter: Printed for the Editor by W. Pollard. 1881. £120.00
- Colby (Frederic Thomas) PEDIGREES OF FIVE DEVONSHIRE FAMILIES, Colby, Coplestone, Reynolds, Palmer and Johnson. With 2 large folding pedigrees, arms illustrated in the text, 40pp + 4pp (Additions and Corrections), 4to, few spots to the original unlettered cloth, one corner and fore-edge of rear board bruised, interleaved with blanks. Printed for Private Circulation. Exeter: Printed by William Pollard, 1884. £90.00
- Cooper (Thomas Henry) A GUIDE CONTAINING A SHORT HISTORICAL SKETCH OF LYNTON and other Places Adjacent in North Devon, including Ilfracombe. With 5 vignette steel engravings, folding pedigree, lacks map, xvi + 114pp, 12mo, original cloth, cloth damp spotted, fragment of label(?) adhering to front pastedown, tear repaired with cellotape to front endpaper, early ownership name with an Ilfracombe address to front endpaper. T. Hearson, printer, Barnstaple: c.1853. £20.00
- Cooper (Thomas Henry) A GUIDE CONTAINING A SHORT HISTORICAL SKETCH OF LYNTON, LYNMOUTH, ILFRACOMBE, and other Places Adjacent in North Devon. Lacks map, with double-page pedigree, 5 vignette steel engravings, xvi + 114pp, 12mo, original cloth, covers damp spotted. Barnstaple: T. Hearson, c.1853. £25.00
- Cornish (Rev. S.W) SHORT NOTES ON THE CHURCH AND PARISH OF OTTERY ST. MARY, Devon. New Edition, Revised. 70pp, original printed card boards, slightly dusty, spine faded. New Edition, Exeter: Henry S. Eland, and Ottery St. Mary: R. Walsingham, c.1929. £10.00
- Cornish (Vaughan) A FAMILY OF DEVON their Homes, Travels and Occupations. With 10 plates, 3 folding pedigrees in pocket at rear, 56pp, few damp spots to the original cloth. St. Leonards-on-Sea: King Bros. & Potts, 1942. £28.00
- Cossins (James) REMINISCENCES OF EXETER FIFTY YEARS SINCE. Illusts, viii + 80pp, 12mo, a.e.g. few small spots to the original decorative cloth. Second Edition (with Additions). Printed for the Author, William Pollard, Exeter: 1878. £30.00
- Cotton (Richard W) BARNSTAPLE AND THE NORTHERN PART OF DEVONSHIRE DURING THE GREAT CIVIL WAR 1642 - 1646. xiii + 558pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed, spine dull and slightly creased. Presentation inscription by the author to Sir John Maclean on the half-title. Printed for the Author by Unwin Brothers, 1889. £200.00
- Cotton (William) A GRAPHIC AND HISTORICAL SKETCH OF THE ANTIQUITIES OF TOTNES. Textual illusts, most of the coats of arms are neatly hand coloured, vi + (ii) + 107pp, sm 4to, original cloth, covers rubbed to edges, few spots to prelims. First edition. London: Longman, 1850. £62.00
- Cotton (William) SOME ACCOUNT OF THE ANCIENT BOROUGH OF PLYMPTON ST MAURICE, OR PLYMPTON EARL; with Memoirs of the Reynolds Family. Folding plan, and a mounted photo, vii + 129 + 1 Appendix leaf, 12mo, later qtr cloth, marbled boards. London: John Russell Smith, 1859. £120.00
- Cotton (William) THE STORY OF THE DRAMA IN EXETER, During its Best Period, 1787 to 1823. With Reminiscences of Edmund Kean. Frontis, and 5 facsimiles of early posters, 66pp, original cloth, partly faded, few spots. London: Hamilton, Adams, Exeter: William Pollard and Co., 1887. £60.00
- Cox (J. Mercer) PLYMPTON ST. MARY The Priory, the Church and the Parish. Photographs by Mr A.B. Fellowes. Illusts, 54pp, original cloth, front inner hinge has amateur tape repair. Plymouth: W.O. Roughton, 1920. £30.00
- Crossing (William) THE ANCIENT STONE CROSSES OF DARTMOOR; and its Borderland. Revised edition. Illustrated by T.A. Falcon. With 21 plates, folding map, 184pp, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges, lacks front endpaper, front inner hinge tender. Special Edition With Additional Plates, LIMITED TO 250 COPIES. Exeter: James G. Commin, 1902. £45.00
- Crossing (William) GEMS IN A GRANITE SETTING: Beauties of the Lone Land of Dartmoor. Numerous illusts, 220 + 4 pages of adverts, roy 8vo, original cloth lightly rubbed, one corner slightly bruised, ownership name to front endpaper. Second Edition. Plymouth: The Western Morning News, 1905. £35.00
- Crossing (William) THE ANCIENT CROSSES OF DARTMOOR; With a Description of Their Surroundings. Map and 10 plates, 132 + 4pp of adverts, original cloth, very slightly rubbed to edges. First edition, Exeter: James G. Commin, London: C. Elkin Mathews, 1887. £35.00
- Crowdy (Joe) THE BOOK OF LUSTLEIGH Portrait of a Dartmoor Parish. Illusts, 160pp, 4to, dustwrapper. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 1998. £15.00
- Cullum (R), printer THE SPIRIT OF ELECTION WIT, AT THE CITY OF EXETER and County of Devon; together with the Burlesque Election at IDE, in the Year 1812.... 152pp, untrimmed in early paper boards, recent cloth spine, paper label to spine, paper boards slightly rubbed. Exeter: Printed by R. Cullum at the General Printing-Office, (1812) £75.00
- Curtis (Muriel E) SOME DISPUTES BETWEEN THE CITY AND THE CATHEDRAL AUTHORITIES OF EXETER. Folding map, 98pp, original cloth. Manchester University Press: 1932. £18.00
- Cutcliffe (H.C) THE ART OF TROUT FISHING ON RAPID STREAMS: Comprising a Complete System of Fishing the NORTH DEVON Streams, and their like. With detailed instructions of the Art of Fishing with the Artificial Fly, the Fern Web, Beetle, Maggot, Worm, and Minnow, both Natural and Artificial. xi + 212pp, sm 8vo, original cloth, very lightly rubbed to edges, small mark to title and frontis. Second edition, London: Sampson Low, Marston, Searle and Rivington, (1883). £70.00
- Dallas (J) and Porter (H.G) THE NOTE-BOOK OF TRISTRAM RISDON. (Author of the 'Survey of the County of Devon'), 1608-1628. Frontis, 352pp, untrimmed in the original buckram, fore-edges slightly spotty. London: Elliot Stock, 1897. £35.00
* An invaluable source for West Country heraldry.
- Dalton (John Neale) THE COLLEGIATE CHURCH OF OTTERY ST MARY Being the Ordinacio et Statuta Ecclesie Sancte Marie De Otery Exon, Diocesis A.D. 1338, 1339 Edited from the Exeter Chapter MS 3521, and the Winchester Cartulary Vol I. part ii. ff. 98-114. With Plans, Photographs and Notes. xiv + 310pp, 4to, untrimmed and partly unopened, in the original cloth, couple of small damp spots on top board. Loosely inserted are 16 photographs of sculpted heads, misericords, and roof bosses, 4 of which are reproduced in the book, the others are possibly of details in the church. Cambridge at the University Press, 1917. £115.00
- Dartmouth REPORT ON THE BOROUGH OF DARTMOUTH. (Devonshire.) Title + pages numbered 476-483, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound, pages loose. House of Commons, London: 1835. £12.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Dartmouth THE CASE OF THE BOROUGH OF DARTMOUTH, as stated by Sir Henry Willoughby, Bart., M.P. in Committee on The Reform Bill, February 23, 1832. 15pp, later plain wraps, ex-lib. with stamp to title, and a couple to verso. London: John Murray. 1832. £20.00
- [Davies (E.W.L)] THE OUT-OF-DOOR LIFE OF THE REV. JOHN RUSSELL A Memoir. Frontis, xii + 307 + vipp of adverts, original cloth, some light foxing to prelims, few small spots to cloth. New Edition. London: Richard Bentley & Son, 1883. £40.00
- Davies (Rev. E.W.L) DARTMOOR DAYS Or Scenes in the Forest. A Poem. With 2 engraved plates, 148pp, sm 8vo, original cloth, few minor spots to cloth, light spotting to prelims. First edition, London: Longman, Green.... 1863. £30.00
- Daw (John) REMINISCENCES OF SIR JOHN DAW covering the period 1866-1957. Illusts, 84pp, original cloth boards, bookplate, and contemporary presentation inscription to front endpaper. Printed for Private Circulation. 1957. £15.00
- Deacon (Lois) DARTMOOR WITH A DIFFERENCE. Frontis, 103 cyclostyled pages, 4to, original printed wraps, couple of small rust marks from staples to top cover. First edition, Toucan Press, Guernsey: 1973. £16.00
- Delderfield (W.J) and Sons Ltd, printers and publishers THE BUDLEIGH SALTERTON KNOWLE AND EAST BUDLEIGH STREET DIRECTORY and Gazetteer for 1947. Full List of Streets and Residents.... A History of the District.... Folding map, illusts, adverts, 124pp, original printed wraps, staples rusty staining the wraps. First edition, W.J. Delderfield and Sons Ltd., Exmouth: 1947. £32.00
Devon Notes and Queries & Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries
A selection from my stock.
- Devon County Council AT YOUR SERVICE The Journal of the Devon County Council Staff Association. Volumes 28, No 6 - Volume 34, No 5. Line drawings in the text, 65 issues, each issue comprising usually 12 - 14 cyclostyled pages, cloth. Devon County Council, Exeter: January, 1951 - December, 1956. £65.00
* The usual mix of essays about holidays, articles on sporting and social activities, notices of NALGO meetings, poetry (?), etc.
- Devon Notes and Queries DEVON NOTES AND QUERIES. Volume 3. From January 1904 to October 1905. Part I Miscellaneous. Plates, (iv) + 276pp, original cloth.... Bound with.... RICHARDS PEEKE OF TAVISTOCK. His Three to One the Contemporary Verses and the Play of Dick of Devonshire. With an Introduction by J. Brooking Rowe. x + 97pp. Two items bound in one, early binder's cloth, spine faded, few snags to head of spine, shaken, the title-page to Peeke has been partly, badly glued to the opposite blank and now has some discolouration to the inner margin, and a couple of holes where once stuck down. James G. Commin, Exeter: 1905. £14.00
Devonshire Association Reports and transactions
A selection from my stock.
- Doveton (F.B) DELIGHTFUL DEVON Being Ten Sketches of Rambles, Fishing, and Otherwise, in Devon. (Reprinted in part from 'A Fisherman's Fancies'). 64pp, original card covers, spine slightly worn at foot. Elliot Stock, London: 1896. £20.00
- Dredge (John Ingle) A FEW SHEAVES OF DEVON BIBLIOGRAPHY. Complete in the original 5 parts, continuously paginated on 250 leaves printed on rectos only, original printed wraps, 7 wraps loose and slightly ragged, the stitching to the first part is broken and it is now in 3 sections. Four hand written letters from Dredge to Alfred Wallis tipped in, there are also presentation inscriptions by Dredge to Wallis on 3 top wraps. There is a short potted biography of Dredge, presumably written by Wallis, on 2 sides of one 8vo sheet loosely inserted. 50 COPIES - NOT PUBLISHED. Reprinted from the Devonshire Transactions. Plymouth: William Brendon and Sons, Printers, 1889-1896. £120.00
- Du Boulay (James T. Housemayne) NOTES TO ACCOMPANY A PEDIGREE OF THE FAMILY OF CORNYSHE of Thurlestone in the County of Devon. Folding pedigree on 3 large sheets, 16pp, 4to, original qtr calf, cloth boards, short tear to head of top outer hinge, small hole in spine, inner hinges cracked, and weak, with the name and 3 addresses, and the dates he lived there of Herbert Cornish the original owner to the front endpaper. Printed for the Author by Warren and Son, Winchester: 1903. £55.00
- Duncan (Alexander G.) THE LONG BRIDGE OF BIDEFORD and Bideford under the Restored Monarchy. Frontis, 70pp, original cloth. Reprinted from Transactions of Devonshire Association, Bideford: 1930. £20.00
* With a hand written letter, loosely inserted, from Marion Hedden, the author's daughter, who wrote the 'Foreword' to the book.
- Dunstan (G.R), editor THE REGISTER OF EDMUND LACY Bishop of Exeter 1420 - 1455. Volume 3. 398pp, original printed wraps. Canterbury and York Society in conjunction with Devon and Cornwall Record Society, Torquay: 1967. £6.00
- Dupin (Charles) TWO EXCURSIONS TO THE PORTS OF ENGLAND, SCOTLAND AND IRELAND IN 1816, 1817 AND 1818: With a Description of the Breakwater at Plymouth and of the Caledonia Canal. With a folding engraved chart and an engraved plate of the Breakwater, 96pp, recent unlettered marbled wraps. London: Printed for Richard Phillips, c.1819. £55.00
- Dymond (Francis W) DEVON AND CORNWALL QUARTERLY MEETING OF THE SOCIETY OF FRIENDS. TRUST PROPERTY within the County of DEVON. With Nine Plates. With nine folding plans, xiv + 132pp, roy 8vo, some light spotting to the original bevelled cloth. Pasted onto front pastedown is a hand written letter from Dymond to his friend Henry Harris. Printed for Private Circulation Only, by Headley Brothers, London: 1899. £100.00
- Dymond (Robert) THE HISTORY OF THE PARISH OF ST. PETROCK, EXETER, AS SHOWN BY ITS CHURCHWARDENS' ACCOUNTS AND OTHER RECORDS. Plan, 2 facsimiles, one of which is folding, plate, 99pp, original cloth, tipped in at the rear are various hand-written or typed notes on the Lay Subsidy, Poll tax, and Rate Assessments for St. Petrocks, listing the people concerned. Loosely inserted are 9 leaves written on rectos, concerning subsidies in 1593 and the people concerned, the leaves have some short marginal tears. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association. (1882) £35.00
- Dymond (Robert) THE CUSTOMS OF THE MANORS OF BRAUNTON. Pamphlet, one plate, 51pp, qtr roan, marbled boards, slightly chipped at head of spine. Reprinted from the Devonshire Transactions. 1888. £35.00
* Edward Windeatt, the Devon author's, copy, with his signature on front endpaper and a letter tipped-in to him from Dymond's wife, handwritten on four sides. With an 'In Memoriam' card concerning Dymond's death pasted to title-page.
- Dymond (Robert), editor "THINGS NEW AND OLD" concerning The Parish Of WIDECOMBE-IN-THE-MOOR and its Neighbourhood. 119pp, original decorative cloth, some spotting to page edges otherwise a nice copy. Torquay: The Torquay Directory Company Limited, 1876. £70.00
- Eales (R), Clerk of the Peace DEVON NEW COUNTY RATE of œ943 14s 8¬d. Being One Farthing in the Pound On the Annual Value of the County. Amounting to œ905,984 12s 4¬d. As Returned by the several parishes in the county, pursuant to 55th Geo. III. Cap. 51. Settled and approved of at Epiphany Sessions, 1817, and then ordered to be printed Rd. Eales, Clerk of the Peace. 27pp, sm 4to, unbound, stitched as issued, title-page dusty, split at centre where once folded, neatly repaired to verso, lacks portion of lower corner of title and first leaf, not affecting text, last leaf dusty with a few short tears. Exeter: M. Trewman and Co. High Street. 1817. £20.00
- Edgeler (Aubrey) ART POTTERS OF BARNSTAPLE. Coloured plates, illusts, pedigrees, map, 294 + (9) page index, dustwrapper. First edition, Nimrod Press, Ltd., Alton: 1990. £75.00
- Edmonds (Rev. F.S) CHRONICLES OF ST. MARY CHURCH. With Notes on Babbacombe, Ilsham, Shiphay Collaton, Kingskerwell and Coffinswell. Frontis, 66pp, 12mo, original cloth. Charles G. Jowitt, Torquay: (1925) £22.00
- Eldred (Charles E.) and Wright (W.H.K) "STREETS OF OLD PLYMOUTH" Full page and textual illusts, 94pp including 2pp list of subscribers, roy 8vo, original half parchment, parchment spotty. LIMITED TO 300 COPIES. Plymouth: Printed by James H. Keys, (1901) £35.00
- Ellis (Arthur C) SOME ANCIENT CHURCHES AROUND TORQUAY With other Notes on the respective Parishes. Illusts, 160pp, roy 8vo, original cloth, covers slightly rubbed to edges and with a few spots. Contemporary presentation inscription on front endpaper. No imprint. (1936) £25.00
* Covers:- Abbotskerswell, Alphington, Ashburton, Ashcombe, Berry Pomeroy, Bickington, Bishopsteignton, Bovey Tracey. 'The following eight articles were originally meant to be the first of a longer series written for the Torquay Directory. As it appears unlikely that the entire series can be completed within a reasonable time, it seems desirable that these should be issued in book form now.' Preface. Not found on the Devon Libraries internet site.
- Elliston-Wright (F.R) BRAUNTON A Few Nature Notes. Coloured frontis, illusts, folding map, 106pp, original cloth, partly faded, presentation inscription by the author on the front endpaper. First edition, A.E. Barnes, Barnstaple: 1926. £25.00
- Evans (Rachel) HOME SCENES, OR TAVISTOCK AND ITS VICINITY. Illustrated with mounted photo frontis. and 7 steel engraved vignette views, viii + 176pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed and damp marked, internally clean, short worm trail affecting letter 't' of 'Corrected' on tile-page, inner hinges pulled and weak. Second Edition Revised and Corrected. Tavistock: T.W. Greenfield. 1875. £26.00
- Evans (Rachel) HOME SCENES, OR TAVISTOCK AND ITS VICINITY. Illustrated with mounted photo frontis. and 7 steel engraved vignette views, viii + 176pp, original cloth. Second Edition Revised and Corrected. Tavistock: T.W. Greenfield. 1875. £40.00
- Evelegh (Aldridge) SOME NOTES ON THE EVELEGH FAMILY. Illusts, original boards, 47pp, lacks folding pedigree. Privately published, Southsea: 1965. £10.00
- Exeter Poll THE LIST OF VOTERS OF THE CITY OF EXETER. Entitled to Vote in the Election of a Member for the said City, between 1st January, 1899 and the 1st January 1900. 328 pages printed on rectos only, 4to, later half cloth on early marbled boards, with part of the original spine laid down, few spots to front and rear. It Gives Names, Addresses, Nature of Qualification and Description of Qualifying Property. With the signature of Lewis D. Thomas, Under Sheriff of Exeter and the dates Nov '98 / Nov '99 to the original front endpaper, this has been repaired with transparent tape. Signed at the end by Geo. R. Shorto, Town Clerk of Exeter., 31st December 1898, and with a page at the rear with a hand-written 'Summary of the Register of Parliamentary Elections for the City of Exeter for the Year 1899.' which is signed by Shorto. Printed by W.J.J. Norton, Exeter: 1898. £180.00
* Not found on Copac.
- Exeter REPORT ON THE BOROUGH OF EXETER. Title + pages numbered 486-498, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound, pages loose. House of Commons, London: 1835. £12.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Finberg (H.P.R) TAVISTOCK ABBEY. A Study In The Social And Economic History Of Devon. With a folding map and 2 plates, xii + 320pp, dustwrapper covered with a plastic film which is attached to endpapers. First edition, Cambridge at the University Press, 1951. £15.00
- Fleming (Andrew) THE DARTMOOR REAVES Investigating Prehistoric Land Divisions. Illustrations, diagrams, plans, viii + 135pp, dustwrapper. London: B.T. Batsford, Ltd. 1988. £12.00
- Fonthill AT FONTHILL, Shaldon Devon. With 7 photographs, showing the grounds and the gardens, pasted onto 6 thick card pages, 4 pages of text printed on rectos only, folio, half calf, printed paper boards rubbed, lacks much of spine. 1865. £100.00
* On the front endpaper is a presentation inscription, dated 10 Jan. '65, to Admiral Jas. Hay from Capt. Alex Graeme. Graeme bought the house in 1865 and later extended it. His family lived there until recently. There is another inscription by Arthur W. Hay, the son of Admiral Jas. Hay, to Arthur E. Hay, dated 28th April 1900.
- Fox (George) A FONT OF PHILANTHROPIC CONCERN: HORSE TROUGHS AND DRINKING FOUNTAINS IN EXETER. With illusts, 20 unnumbered pages, original cloth. Limited to 100 copies, this being one of '20 author's copies' with a signed presentation inscription by the author. Printed and Published at the Exeter College of Art & Design, 1978. £18.00
- Freeman (Benson) THE YEOMANRY OF DEVON 1794-1927. With coloured and other illusts, folding plans, xix + 301pp, untrimmed in the original buckram, leather lettering piece, occasional light foxing. London: St. Catherine Press. 1927. £95.00
- Gardiner (W.F) BARNSTAPLE 1837-1897. Illusts., 250pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges. First edition. Barnstaple: Ralph Allan, 1897. £50.00
- Gidley (John), Town Clerk NOTICES OF EXETER; COMPRISING A HISTORY OF ROYAL VISITS To the Ancient and Loyal City, from AD 49, to A.D 1863. With Some Additional Matter. 106pp, original cloth, early inscription to the top margin of the title-page. Exeter Henry Besley, (1863) £28.00
- Gilbert (Mrs H.A), editor THE EARNEST CHRISTIAN: Memoir, Letters, and Journals of Harriet Maria, Wife of the Late Rev. Mark R. Jukes. Frontis, vi + 340pp, sm. 8vo, few small marks to lightly rubbed original cloth, private library label to front pastedown, few spots to front and rear, light waterstain to top margin of frontis. Sixth Edition, Seeley, Jackson, and Halliday, London: 1883. £20.00
* Harriet Maria was born at Newport, Devon, and lived in Canada and then Maumee, Ohio in the U.S.A. where she died. Her husband was the Rector there from 1852-1854.
- Granville (Rev. Roger) THE HISTORY OF BIDEFORD. [Reprinted with various additions and corrections from the Bideford Weekly Gazette.] viii + 110pp, 12mo, original cloth covered boards, slightly rubbed to edges, front inner hinge partly cracked. Bideford: W. Crosbie Coles, (1883) £40.00
- Granville (Roger) THE HISTORY OF THE GRANVILLE FAMILY. Traced back to Rollo, first Duke of Normandy. With folding frontis, 30 plates, lacks the folding pedigree, vi + (i) + 489 + (i)pp, 4to, original cloth, partly faded, some small spots to spine, slightly rubbed to head and foot of spine, rear outer hinge has a short split, front inner hinge cracked though sound, marbled page edges. Ex-Tiverton Memorial library with their donation bookplate to front endpaper, which is signed by the donor, and with his indelible stamp to front endpaper and to title-page, slight signs to front endpaper where old label removed. William Pollard, Exeter: 1895. £100.00
* The pedigree is frequently missing.
- Gray (Todd) EXETER UNVEILED. 270 Unknown Images of the City's Past. Coloured and black and white illusts, 135pp, 4to, dustwrapper. The Mint Press, Exeter: 2003. £12.00
* Signed by the author on the title-page.
- Gray (Todd), editor DEVON HOUSEHOLD ACCOUNTS, 1627-59: Part 1. Sir Richard and Lady Lucy Reynell of Forde (1627-48), John Willoughby of Leyhill (1644-6) and Sir Edward Wise of Sydenham (1655-9). Frontis, plates, sketch maps, lviii + 285pp, original pictorial card covers. Devon & Cornwall Record Society New Series, Volume 38. Torquay: 1995. £16.00
- Greeves (Tom) THE ARCHAEOLOGY OF DARTMOOR FROM THE AIR. With 21 plates, opposite text and interleaved with diagramatic overlays on transparent film, spiral binding, original pictorial card covers. Devon Books, Exeter: 1985. £20.00
- Gregory (Alfred T), editor DEVONSHIRE VERBAL PROVINCIALISMS. As Collected by Members of the Devonshire Association for Advancement of Science, Literature, & Art etc. 1877 to 1908. (viii) + 196pp, original cloth, fore-edges spotty. Tiverton: Gregory Son, Exeter: S. Drayton, (1909) £38.00
- Gregory (Ivon L) HARTLAND CHURCH ACCOUNTS, 1597-1706. Transcribed and Edited by Ivon L. Gregory, Vicar of Hartland. A Prefatory Note by Sir Hilary Jenkinson. xx + 372pp, original cloth. First edition, From: Butler and Tanner, 1950. £28.00
- Gribble (Joseph Besly) MEMORIALS OF BARNSTAPLE; Being an attempt to supply the want of A History of that Ancient Borough. With a double-page plan, a plate, 2 folding tables, xvi + 640pp, + errata leaf, early half calf, raised bands, leather label on spine, marbled boards, neat repair to short tear to margin of one table. With the engraved armorial bookplate of William, Duke of Bedford, Endsleigh. A nice copy. First edition. Barnstaple: Printed by the North Devon Journal Office, by J. Avery. 1830. £165.00
- Groser (Albert) GLIMPSES IN NORTHERN EUROPE By West Countrymen, The Pen of One But the Thoughts of Five. Peeps at the Capitals of Sweden, Finland, Denmark & Russia. 18pp, lacks spine and lower wrap. Plymouth: Reprinted from the "Western Morning News", 1886. £10.00
* Groser came from Plymouth.
- Halberton, transcribed and edited by C.A.T. Fursdon. THE REGISTER OF BAPTISMS, MARRIAGES AND BURIALS of the Parish of Halberton. 1605 - 1837. xii + 408pp, lacks the 22 page supplement i.e. 'Corrigenda and Addenda', binders cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, private library label to front pastedown. Exeter: The Devon and Cornwall Record Society, 1930-1931. £65.00
- Hamilton (A.H.A) QUARTER SESSIONS UNDER QUEEN ELIZABETH. From Original Records. A series of 10 articles taken from Frasers Magazine, 123pp, early cloth. 1876-1877. £40.00
* Author's copy with his name and address, in Devon, on a front endpaper. These articles chiefly relate to Devon. They were published in book form in 1878.
- Hamilton Jenkin (A.K) MINES OF DEVON. Volume 1: The Southern Area. Illusts, textual maps, 154pp, partly faded dustwrapper. David & Charles, Newton Abbot: 1974. £6.00
- Harper (Charles G) THE SOUTH DEVON COAST. Numerous full page and textual illusts, xiii + 304pp, slightly rubbed to edges, in scribble to top corner of front pastedown, occasional light foxing. First edition, London: Chapman and Hall, Ltd., 1907. £36.00
- Harper (Charles G) THE NORTH DEVON COAST. Numerous full page and textual illusts. xiii + 247pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, small hole to rear outer hinge, small snag to head of spine. First edition, London: Chapman and Hall Ltd., 1908. £28.00 --- See sample text
- Harper (Charles G) THE SOUTH DEVON COAST. Numerous full page and textual illusts, xiii + 304pp, early half morocco, cloth boards, marbled boards, very slightly rubbed to top of outer hinges, otherwise a nice copy. First edition, London: Chapman & Hall, 1907. £40.00
- Harris (J. Henry) MY DEVONSHIRE BOOK. "In the Land of Junket and Cream." With 31 plates, 174 + pages of publishers adverts, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges, early ownership name to front endpaper. First edition, Plymouth: Western Morning News, 1907. £18.00
- Hawker (George) A BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH OF FRANCIS JAMES BLIGHT, F.R.S.E. PUBLISHER Chairman and Managing Director from 1899 to 1927 of Charles Griffin and Company, Ltd., Publishers. With 32 half-tone plates. xxii + 176pp, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges. Elliot Stock, London: 1931. £20.00
* Includes 2 chapters on the families origins in Devon from the 16th century to the 18th century and their connection with Topsham.
- [Hayman (J.G)] HISTORY OF METHODISM IN NORTH DEVON. xi + 192pp, recent cloth. London: Published for the Author at the Wesleyan Conference Office, 1871. £50.00
- Hearder (G. and J), printer and publisher THE SOUTH DEVON MONTHLY MUSEUM. Volumes 1-7, bound in 3. All published. Plates and illusts in the text, 7 volumes, early half calf, marbled boards, edges slightly rubbed, later half calf, raised bands, leather labels on spines, marbled boards. Plymouth: G. and J. Hearder. 1833 - 1836. £300.00
* Published as a monthly magazine. The 7 volumes, consist of 6 issues, and between 200 and 283 pages. Includes articles:- the Lary Bridge; Babbicombe; Berry Pomeroy Castle; Eddystone Lighthouse; Dartmoor; Antiquities in the Neighbourhood of Liskeard, Island of Jersey, etc.
- Hemyock Registers, transcribed by A.J.P. Skinner. THE REGISTER OF BAPTISMS, MARRIAGES AND BURIALS OF THE PARISH OF HEMYOCK, Devon, 1635 - 1837. With the Bishops Transcripts for the Years 1602, 1606, 1609, 1610, 1611, 1617, 1625, 1626, 1633, 1636, and a List of the Rectors and Chaplain Priests. 255pp, lacks title, prelims, and index, later unlettered cloth, ex-lib. with labels to endpapers, stamp to top board. Exeter: The Devon and Cornwall Record Society, 1923. £40.00
- Hingeston-Randolph (Rev. F.C) THE REGISTER OF WALTER DE STAPELDON, Bishop of Exeter, (A.D. 1307 - 1326). Folding facsimile frontispiece, xxxiv + 584pp + 7pp list of subscribers, original cloth, rubbed to edges, front inner hinge cracked. London: George Bell, Exeter: Henry S. Eland, 1892. £35.00
- Hingeston-Randolph (Rev. F.C) THE REGISTER OF EDMUND STAFFORD, (A.D. 1395 - 1419); An Index and Abstract Of Its Contents. xvi + 485 + 6pp list of subscribers, original cloth, narrow strip torn from head of spine, short split to head of outer hinges, horizontal split across spine. London: George Bell, Exeter: Henry S. Eland, 1886. £25.00
- Hingeston-Randolph (Rev. F.C) THE REGISTER OF EDMUND LACY, Bishop of Exeter, (A.D. 1420-1455) Part I,- The Register of Institutions. With Some Account of the Episcopate of John Catrick (A.D. 1419). Frontis, xx + 415pp, original cloth, some discolouration to title-page. London: George Bell & Sons., and Exeter: Henry S. Eland, 1909. £25.00
- Hingeston-Randolph (Rev. F.C) THE REGISTER OF THOMAS DE BRANTYNGHAM Bishop of Exeter, (A.D. 1370 - 1394). Part II. Folding pedigree, xlii + 575 - 978pp, original cloth, small amount of worming affecting fore-edges of prelims, and endpapers. London: George Bell & Sons., and Exeter: Henry S. Eland, 1906. £20.00
- Hoskins (W.G) DEVON. Illusts, 18 maps, xxxviii + 617pp, dustwrapper. Commemorative Edition. Devon Books, Tiverton: 1992. £10.00
- Lord Hunsdon of Hunsdon HISTORY OF GIBBS OF FENTON in Dartington County Devon. With 6 plates, xi + 188pp, with the 'Corrigenda' tipped in, roy 8vo, original cloth. London: The Saint Catherine Press, 1925. £55.00
- Hussell (Allen T) NORTH DEVON CHURCHES, Studies of some of the Ancient Buildings. Illusts, [viii] + 126 + [iv], folio, original decorative cloth, some damp spotting to boards, internally sound. First edition, Printed at the "Herald" Press, Barnstaple: c.1910. £22.00
- Hyett (W) A DESCRIPTION OF THE WATERING PLACES On the South-East Coast of Devon, From the River Exe to the Dart inclusive, comprehending Dawlish, Teignmouth, Shaldon, and Torquay. With a Sketch of their Local History.... Embellished with Four Etchings and a Vignette Title. 105pp, sm 8vo, contemporary calf, slightly rubbed, few strips missing from covers, top outer cracked, couple of pages have the imprint of a leaf where it has been placed as a bookmark? ex-lib with small embossed stamp to margins of plates, and stamp to rear endpaper. Exeter: Printed and sold by J. Trewman and Son, High Street. (1803) £80.00
- Izacke (Richard) AN ALPHABETICAL REGISTER OF DIVERS PERSONS, Who by their Last Wills, Grants, Feoffments, and other Deeds, have given Tenements, Rents, Annuities, and Monies, towards the Relief of the poor of the County of Devon and City and County of Exon.... Faithfully printed from his Original Manuscript.... By Samuel Izacke. 172 + 2 page index, full early calf, raised bands, outer and inner hinges partly cracked, though sound, cover slightly rubbed and with a few small marks, lacks lettering piece, front endpaper, and half-title, signs where label removed from front pastedown, small stain to top margin of first few leaves. London: 1736. £105.00
- Izacke (Richard and Samuel) REMARKABLE ANTIQUITIES OF THE CITY OF EXETER: Giving an Account of the Laws and Customs of the Place; the Officers, Court of Judicature, Gates, Walls, Rivers, Churches, and Priviledges. Together, With a Catalogue of all the Bishops, Mayors, Sheriffs, from the Year 1049 to 1677, Heraldic frontis, woodcut illustrations of coats of arms, folding plan of the city, (iv) + 64 + 191 + (62)pp, full early calf, later calf spine and endpapers, raised bands, morocco label, neat repair to lower margin of a prelim., frontis laid down lacks small portion of the top inner corner, slightly intruding into the engraved surface, light age browning mainly to outer margins, small hole neatly repaired to one margin. London: Printed for Rowland Reynolds, next to the Middle Exchange, in the Strand, 1681. £285.00
- Jacson (Colonel M) THE RECORD OF A REGIMENT OF THE LINE Being A Regimental History of the 1st Battalion Devonshire Regiment During the oar War. Plates, lacks the 2 maps, which appear never to have been bound in, 226 + 2 pages of publisher's adverts, original cloth, partly faded, some spotting to boards, contemporary inscription on the front endpaper. London: Hutchinson & Co., 1908. £16.00
- Jones (Mary) THE HISTORY OF CHUDLEIGH IN THE COUNTY OF DEVON, and the surrounding Scenery, Seats, Families, etc. Revised and Corrected by William W. Snell. With a mounted photographic frontispiece, 182pp, original cloth, a.e.g, few spots to prelims. With the armorial bookplate of Charles Edward Keyser. Second Edition. Exeter: S. Drayton, Chudleigh: G.E. Searle, 1875. £72.00
- Jones (Mary) THE HISTORY OF CHUDLEIGH IN THE COUNTY OF DEVON, and the surrounding Scenery, seats.... etc. With an engraved vignette frontis, vi + 210pp, original cloth, head of spine rubbed, edges lightly rubbed, horizontal split to spine slightly affecting lettering piece. First edition, London: W. Gratton, Exeter: A. Holden, etc. 1852. £65.00
- Jones (Rev. J.P) and Kingston (J.F) FLORA DEVONIENSIS: Or a Descriptive Catalogue of Plants growing wild In the County of Devon.... with an Account of their Geographical Distribution, &c. xlvii + 162 + lxvii + 217pp, ( 2 parts in one volume ), early half morocco, marbled boards, a.e.g., couple of small areas slightly rubbed to covers, light spotting to prelims. First edition, London: Longman, Rees, Orme,.... 1829. £90.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF DEVONSHIRE 1906. Folding map pasted in at rear, xxviii + 1168 + 60 pages of adverts, later cloth, portion of the original spine with title laid down on the new spine, one top margin crudely repaired, last advertisement leaf pasted to new endpaper. Kelly Directories Ltd., London: 1906. £75.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF DEVONSHIRE 1910. Lacks map, xxxiv + 1157 + 64 pages of adverts, original cloth, short split to head of spine, spine faded with a few spots and slightly soiled. London: Kelly's Directories Ltd., 1910. £80.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORIES OF EXMOUTH 1972-73. Adverts, iv + A4 + 218pp, original card covers. Seventh edition, Kelly's Directories, Kingston upon Thames, 1972. £20.00
- Kendall (A.F) DEVONSHIRE Extracted from "The Picture of England." Text illusts, pages numbered 497-588, complete, later amateur wraps, titled in manuscript on top cover. London: (1831) £8.00
- King (Richard John) THE FOREST OF DARTMOOR, and its Borders. A Historical Sketch. xii + 138pp, 12mo, original cloth, occasional light foxing. London: John Russell Smith, 1856. £50.00
- Kowaleski (Maryanne), editor LOCAL CUSTOMS ACCOUNTS OF THE PORT OF EXETER 1266 - 1321. Frontis, x + 243pp, original pictorial card covers. Devon and Cornwall Record Society New Series, Volume 36. Torquay: 1993. £9.00
- Lamplugh (Lois) BARNSTAPLE Town on the Taw. Plates, textual illusts, roy 8vo, xv + 174pp, dustwrapper. Phillimore, Chichester: 1983. £8.00
- Lapford Registers, edited by A.R. Densham THE REGISTER OF BAPTISMS, MARRIAGES AND BURIALS OF THE PARISH OF LAPFORD Co. Devon A.D. 1567-1850. 276pp, untrimmed, partly unopened, loose in parts and unbound as issued. Exeter: The Devon & Cornwall Record Society, 1954. £50.00
- Lega Weekes (Ethel) THE EARLIEST KNOWN LANDHOLDERS OF THROWLEIGH. Pages numbered 185-189, complete, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 1940. £4.00
- Lepine (David) and Orme (Nicholas), editor DEATH AND MEMORY IN MEDIEVAL EXETER. x + 372 + (2)pp, original pictorial card covers. Devon and Cornwall Record Society, Exeter: 2003. £10.00
- Lewis (F.C) SCENERY OF THE RIVERS OF ENGLAND AND WALES. Illustrated by 24 Painters etchings.... With and engraved title-page on which are 2 vignette views, and with 24 full page plates, all with tissue guards, folio, recent half calf, raised bands, cloth boards. London: Printed for F.C. Lewis by Longman, Brown, Green, Longman, c.1846. £165.00
* Twelve of the plates are of views in Devon.
- Loyd (L.R.W) LUNDY Its History and Natural History. With 29 illustrations and a map, xii + 248pp, original cloth very lightly rubbed to edges, early ownership inscription, in pencil, to title-page. Longmans, Green, London: 1925. £50.00
- Luscombe (Ellen) MYRTLES AND ALOES; OR, OUR SALCOMBE SKETCH BOOK. With some addenda in the shape of Discursive Gossip About KINGSBRIDGE. by F. Young. Illustrated with 8 lithographic plates showing 12 views, some of which are tinted, viii + 152pp, early half calf, raised bands, spine gilt tooled, marbled boards, endpapers, and page endpapers. Kingsbridge: G.P. Friend, 1861. £130.00
- Lysons (Daniel and Samuel) DEVONSHIRE. Magna Britannia; Being A Concise Topographical Account of the Several Counties of Great Britain. Volume the Sixth, containing Devonshire. With 34 engraved plates, maps, some of which are folding, ccciv + 682pp, 2 volumes, bound in 1, 4to, contemporary full calf, raised bands, leather label, spine gilt tooled, covers lightly rubbed to edges, with a few narrow strips of calf torn from surface of boards, occasional light foxing. London: Printed for Thomas Cadell, 1822. £220.00
DEVON ANTIQUARIAN BOOKS
Not all of my books are on line.
For a further selection and to receive my latest catalogue please E-mail :- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Moore (John), of Tiverton THE CALM DEFENCE OF THE DEITY OF JESUS CHRIST, Continued and Maintain'd; Against The Reasonings and Exceptions of the Author of the Letter to a Dissenter in Exeter: Being A Reply to his Plain Christianity Defended, Third and Fourth Parts. 140pp, lacks half-title(?), 12mo, recent cloth, slight signs where label removed from front endpaper. London: Printed for John Clark, at the Bible and Crown in the Poultry, near Cheapside, 1721. £55.00
- Nature in Devon, Stephen Locke & Kelvin Boot editors NATURE IN DEVON. The Journal of the Devon Trust for Nature Conservation. Nos 1-7 inclusive. Maps, diagrams illusts, seven issues, each issue contains between 61 and 96 pages, original pictorial card covers. Devon Trust for Nature Conservation, Exeter: 1980 - 1986. £12.00
- Nicolas (Sir H) REPORT OF THE PROCEEDINGS ON THE CLAIM TO THE EARLDOM OF DEVON In the House of Lords. With Notes, and an Appendix containing Copies of Patents, and Cases Illustrative of the claim. xiii + 199 + cc + 6 page index, untrimmed and unopened in later cloth, paper label on spine. London: J. & W.T. Clarke; William Pickering; M. Stevens and Sons, 1832. £70.00
- [Noble (W.B)] A GUIDE TO THE WATERING PLACES ON THE COAST, BETWEEN THE EXE AND THE DART; Including Teignmouth, Dawlish and Torquay, Embellished with a General View of Teignmouth and Dawlish, and the Various Seats Around Them, with a Short Description of the Neighbourhood, Dedicated, by Permission to the Right Hon. Lord Viscount Exmouth. With 16 hand coloured aquatint views, includes 4 folding plates, lacks the map of Teignmouth. The plates are by D. Havell, T. Shury and J.C. Stadler, from drawings by W.B. Noble. In the four parts, (ii) + viii + 95 (Teignmouth) + (i) + 84 (Dawlish and it's Vicinity) + (i) + 72 (Torquay and it's Vicinity) + (17) Conchology unpaginated + 8pp list of subscribers. Later half morocco, raised bands, marbled boards and endpapers, margins trimmed to some plates, area rubbed, with a couple of small holes, to title page, indelible stamp of a historical society, to lower margin of last leaf, last couple of leaves slightly chipped to edges. Teignmouth: Printed by and Sold by E. Croydon, Public Library. 1821. £280.00
* This edition is not in Abbey's Scenery... This copy collates as S.64 in Somers Cocks, Devon Topographical Prints.... Somers Cocks mentions a plate not in this volume which he says only appears in some copies.
- Northy (T.J) ILLUSTRATED POPULAR HISTORY OF EXETER, From the earliest times down to the day of publication. Illusts, x + 215 + 16pp of adverts, original cloth, very slightly rubbed to edges. Exeter: James G. Commin, 1886. £25.00
- Oliver (George) ECCLESIASTICAL ANTIQUITIES IN DEVON, Being Observations on several Churches in Devonshire, with Some Memoranda for the History of Cornwall. Illusts, 252 + (4)pp, and 211 + (2)pp, and 107 + (1)pp, 3 volumes bound in 1, early half calf, marbled boards slightly rubbed to edges, leather labels on spine, labels chipped, one held on with transparent tape, occasional foxing. With an armorial bookplate, and the signature of W.G. Hoskins to front endpaper. Exeter: W.C. Featherstone, London: J.B. Nichols, 1839, 1840 and 1842. £160.00
- Oliver (Rev. G) THE HISTORY OF THE CITY OF EXETER. xiii + 191pp + cxliipp + Errata leaf, full early morocco, raised bands, gilt lines, light rubbing to edges, gilt dentelles, a.e.g., inscription to front pastedown, stamp to foot of title-page, occasional foxing, otherwise a nice copy. Exeter: Printed by R. Cullum, 1821. £65.00
- Oliver (Rev. G) THE HISTORY OF THE CITY OF EXETER. xiii + 191pp + cxliipp + Errata leaf, early half calf, marbled boards, rubbed, small portion missing from head of spine, rear outer hinge partly split, top board loose, light foxing. Exeter: Printed by R. Cullum, 1821. £35.00
- Oliver (Rev. George) THE HISTORY OF THE CITY OF EXETER. With a short Memoir of the Author, and an Appendix of Documents and Illustrations. Folding plan, xiv + 337pp, original cloth, rubbed to edges, head and foot of spine rubbed, lacks front endpaper, front inner hinge weak, occasional light foxing. Exeter: William Roberts, 1861. £40.00
- Oliver (Rev. George) HISTORIC COLLECTIONS RELATING TO THE MONASTERIES IN DEVON. vii + 149pp + lxxxiii + 16pp index, early diced calf boards, later calf spine, and marbled endpapers. First edition, Exeter: Printed by R. Cullum, 1820. £90.00
- Ottery St. Mary Registers, transcribed and edited by H. Tapley-Soper. THE REGISTER OF BAPTISMS, MARRIAGES AND BURIALS of the Parish of Ottery St. Mary, Devon, 1601-1837. 2 volumes, xvi + 592 and volume 2 pages 593 - 976 and 1073-1157pp, lacks pages 977-1072, untrimmed, partly unopened, loose in parts and unbound as issued. Exeter: The Devon and Cornwall Record Society, 1908 and 1929. £100.00
- Page (John Lloyd Warden) THE COASTS OF DEVON AND LUNDY ISLAND Their Towns, Villages, Scenery, Antiquities and Legends. With Map and Illustrations. xix + 437pp, original cloth, very lightly rubbed to edges, short split to head of rear outer hinge, some foxing to pages edges and prelims. First edition, Horace Cox, London: 1895. £45.00
- Page (John Lloyd Warden) AN EXPLORATION OF DARTMOOR AND ITS ANTIQUITIES. With some account of its Borders. With a Map and Illustrations. xii + 309pp, original cloth, few spots to top boards, lightly rubbed to edges. Fourth Edition, Seeley and Co., London: 1895. £25.00
- Parkham. transcribed by John Ingle Dredge. With introduction by Edward Hensley. THE REGISTERS OF PARKHAM. xxvi + 214pp, untrimmed, partly unopened, loose in parts and unbound as issued. Exeter: The Devon and Cornwall Record Society, 1906. £40.00
- Parracombe, transcribed by A.J.P. Skinner THE REGISTER OF BAPTISMS, MARRIAGES AND BURIALS OF THE PARISH OF PARRACOMBE, Devon 1597 - 1836. xv + 101pp, untrimmed, in the original cloth, small hole to top outer hinge, ownership name to front pastedown. Exeter: The Devon and Cornwall Record Society, 1917. £55.00
- Pengelly (William) and Herr (Rev. Oswald) ON THE LIGNITE FORMATIONS OF BOVEY TRACEY, Devonshire. With 17 tinted plates of fossils, 2 plates of sections, and a coloured folding map, 68pp, 4to, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges, occasional light spotting. London: Taylor and Francis, 1863. £150.00
- Pevsner (Nikolaus) and Cherry (Bridget) DEVON. The Buildings of England. Maps, diagrams, plates, 976pp, dustwrapper. Second edition, extensively revised, Penguin Books, 1989. £20.00
- Phillimore (W.P.W) SOME ACCOUNT OF THE FAMILY OF SMITH Anciently of SHUTE in Devonshire. With 4 plates, pedigrees, viii + 32pp, 4to, contemporary half calf, cloth boards, slightly rubbed to edges, ex-Law library with label to pastedown and occasional stamp. London: Printed for Private Circulation. Phillimore & Co., 1900. £90.00
* Not in Thomson. A Catalogue of British Family Histories.
- [Phillpotts (Henry)] A PASTORAL LETTER to the Clergy of the Diocese of Exeter on the Present State of the Church. By Henry, Lord Bishop of Exeter. 126pp, original wraps, couple of short tears to head and foot of spine. London: John Murray, 1851. £16.00
- Plymtree, transcribed and edited by The Venerable Edgar Hay. THE REGISTER OF BAPTISMS, MARRIAGES AND BURIALS OF THE PARISH OF PLYMTREE, A.D. 1538 to 1837. With 5 illusts, xix + 188pp, lack pages xv to xix from Preface, untrimmed, partly unopened, in recent cloth. Exeter: The Devon and Cornwall Record Society, 1940. £40.00
- Polwhele (Mr), Of Polwhele, In Cornwall HISTORICAL VIEWS OF DEVONSHIRE. In Five Volumes. Volume 1 only, all published. xix + 214pp, sm 4to, later half calf, cloth boards, qtr morocco, cloth boards, slightly rubbed to edges, short split to top outer hinge, front inner hinge cracked though sound. Printed by Trewman and Son, Exeter, for Cadell, Dily and Murray, London: 1793. £105.00
* Includes chapters on the first inhabitants of Danmonium, the Romans, the Saxons, and the Normans.
- Polwhele (Rev. R) THE HISTORY OF DEVONSHIRE. Volume 2 of 3 only. With illusts, 46 + 382 + (1)pp, folio, small water stain to foot of dustwrapper. Originally published Exeter: 1793-1806. Reprinted, Kohler and Coombes, Dorking: 1977. £35.00
- Polwhele (Rev. Richard) THE HISTORY OF DEVONSHIRE. With 23 of 24 full page copper engraved plates, lacking the view of Lawrence Tower, Haldon, all but 2 the 23 plates have been neatly hand-coloured, a small map by John Cary, and a double-page map by Stockdale, engraved by Cary with the boundaries of the Hundreds coloured in outline, extra-illustrated with 3 maps, plan of Tiverton, and 134 engraved and lithographed views, of various sizes, some of which have been hand-coloured. Includes several lithographs of Devon Churches by Spreat and copper-plate views by S. & N. Buck. All of the plates, including the originals have been pasted onto interleaved blanks. A few blanks have no plates attached. 3 volumes, folio, (4) + 329 and ii + (4) + 46 + 276 and 277-382 + (1) + 383-504 + corrections leaf, untrimmed, interleaved and finely bound by Period Binders of Bath, with their stamp to verso of the front endpapers, in recent full green morocco, raised bands, gilt tooling to spines, and gilt lines to spines and to boards, marbled endpapers. A few plates have some spotting to margins, light waterstaining to lower corners and margins of a few pages, small portion torn from top corner margins of one leaf, one title-page has a portion re-margined. Exeter: Printed by T. Trewman, for Cadell, Johnson and Dilly, London: 1797, 1793, 1806. £1150.00
- Polwhele (Rev. Richard) THE HISTORY OF DEVONSHIRE. With 24 full page copper engraved plates and with the small map by John Cary. (4) + 329 and ii + (4) + 46 + 382 and 383-504 + corrections leaf. 3 volumes bound in one, early half morocco, raised bands, gilt lines, marbled boards, a few plates have some spotting to margins, one of them badly, 3 plates have a small amount of worming to margins, 2 plates have a short tear to fore-edge margin which is neatly repaired to verso. Exeter: Printed by T. Trewman, for Cadell, Johnson and Dilly, London: 1797, 1793, 1806. £600.00
- Portman (D) EXETER HOUSES 1400 - 1700. With 39 plates, and 20 textual illusts, x + 133pp, roy 8vo, few short tears to dustwrapper. University of Exeter: 1966. £20.00 --- See sample text
- Potts (E), Widow of the late G. Potts., M.P. BARDICK, THE KING OF THE TEIGN. A Lay of South Devon. In Ten Cantos. Frontis and 3 wood engraved plates, 76pp, sm 4to, original cloth. London: Provost & Co., 1869. £22.00
- Prideaux (E.K) and Shafto (G.R. Holt) BOSSES AND CORBELS OF EXETER CATHEDRAL. An Illustrated Study in Decorative & Symbolic Design. Illusts, folding plan, 228pp, original cloth, corner of top board slightly bruised, light marks to cloth of front cover. London: Chatto and Windus, Exeter: James G. Commin, 1910. £32.00
* This forms part 2 of volume 7 of Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries.
- Prideaux (Edith K) THE FIGURE SCULPTURE OF THE WEST FRONT OF EXETER CATHEDRAL CHURCH. A Complete Photographic Record with Notes. 23 plates, 38pp, original cloth, partly faded. Exeter: James G. Commin, 1912. £26.00
- Prideaux (Edith K) THE CARVINGS OF MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS IN EXETER CATHEDRAL CHURCH. A Photographic Record with Notes and Additional Contemporary Examples. With 18 plates and 36pp, original cloth, top cover damp spotty, internally sound. James G. Commin, Exeter: 1915. £20.00
- Pridham (T.L) DEVONSHIRE CELEBRITIES. Illustrated with 12 mounted photographs of portraits, 236pp, sm. 4to, original cloth, a.e.g, cloth lightly rubbed at edges, occasional light foxing. Exeter: Henry S. Eland, 1869. £45.00 --- See sample text
* The 'celebrities' include Sir Thomas Acland, Sir Nicholas Carew, Lord Edward Courtney, Sir Francis Drake, Sir Walter Raleigh, Earl Fortescue, etc. The photos are of paintings, busts, etc.
- Prince (John) DANMONII ORIENTALES ILLUSTRES: or THE WORTHIES OF DEVON. A Work Wherein the Lives and Fortunes of The Most Famous Divines, Statesmen, Swordsmen, Physicians, Writers, and Other Eminent Persons, Natives of that most noble Province..... A New Edition With Notes. With frontis, 5 plates of portraits and 5 plates of heraldic arms, xxxvii + 785pp + vipp, 4to, recent half calf, marbled boards, some plates spotty. Printed for Rees and Curtis, Plymouth. Edward Upham, Exeter. and Longman, Hurst Rees and Orme, London: 1810. £135.00
- Ravenhill (Mary R) and Rowe (Margery M) DEVON MAPS AND MAP-MAKERS: Manuscript Maps Before 1840. With 16 coloured plates, 2 sketch maps, 2 volumes, xi + 214pp, and 215-433pp, original card covers, the 2 volumes contained within the original slip-case. Devon and Cornwall Record Society. New Series, Volume 43. Exeter: 2002. £40.00
- Reform Conference WESTERN COUNTIES LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND LAND LAW REFORM CONFERENCE at Plymouth, September 17th, 1885. A Verbatim Report of the Speeches. 28pp, original top wrap, lacks spine and rear wrap. Reprinted from "Western Daily Mercury", 1885. £10.00
I have changed the software for notification of updates to this page.
Please re-register if you registered prior to 25 February :- Automatic notification
- Reichel (Rev. O.J) INDEX OF PERSONAL AND PLACE NAMES in the "Hundreds of Devon". Contributed to the Transactions of the Association. 405pp, few short tears to original wraps, small portions missing from top and lower wraps, spine faded and slightly chipped to edges. Devonshire Association. Torquay: 1942. £28.00
- Reichel (Rev. O.J) THE HUNDRED OF TIVERTON IN EARLY TIMES. The Devonshire Association. 31pp, original printed wraps. Plymouth: W. Brendon and Son, 1928. £18.00
- Reichel (Rev. Oswald) THE HUNDREDS OF AXMINSTER AND AXMOUTH IN EARLY TIMES. The Devonshire Association. Extra Volume. 53pp, original printed wraps. Exeter: Southwoods (Exeter), Ltd. 1931. £18.00
- Reichel (Rev. Oswald) THE HUNDREDS OF BRAUNTON, SHIRWELL AND FREMINGTON IN EARLY TIMES. The Devonshire Association. Extra Volume. 136pp, original wraps, spine slightly rubbed to head and foot, rear outer hinge partly split, private library labels to covers. Torquay: The Devonshire Press. 1935. £15.00
- Reichel (Rev. Oswald) THE HUNDREDS OF PLYMPTON AND ERMINGTON IN EARLY TIMES. The Devonshire Association. Extra Volume, 88pp, with wraps, small mark label to top wrap. Torquay: The Devonshire Press, Ltd. 1933. £18.00
- Reichel (Rev. Oswald J) THE HUNDREDS OF BLACK TORRINGTON IN EARLY TIMES. The Devonshire Association. Extra Volume. 57pp, original printed wraps. Exeter: Southwoods (Exeter), Ltd. 1932. £15.00
- Reichel (Rev. Oswald J) THE HUNDREDS OF HEMYOCK AND HALBERTON IN EARLY TIMES. The Devonshire Association. Extra Volume. 31pp, original printed wraps. Exeter: Southwoods (Exeter), Ltd. 1929. £15.00
- Reichel (Rev. Oswald) THE HUNDREDS OF COLYTON AND CLYSTON IN EARLY TIMES. The Devonshire Association. Extra Volume. 53pp, original printed wraps, small label to top wrap. Torquay: The Devonshire Press. 1934. £16.00
- Reichel (Rev. Oswald) THE ONE-TIME HUNDREDS OF NORTH MOLTON AND MOLLAND IN EARLY TIMES. The Devonshire Association. Extra Volume. 11pp, original wraps. Torquay: The Devonshire Press. 1936. £12.00
- Reichel (Rev. Oswald J), editor DEVON FEET OF FINES. Volume 1. Richard I. to Henry III. 1196-1272. xiv + 437pp, untrimmed, and shaken in later rubbed, bruised and unlettered cloth, inner hinges pulled. Occasional interesting neat ink and pencil marginalia, approx. 8 leaves partly discoloured where old newscuttings were once inserted. Devon and Cornwall Record Society. Exeter: 1912. £25.00
- Reichel (Rev. Oswald J) THE HUNDRED OF TIVERTON, HEMYOCK, HALBERTON, SOUTH MOLTON, ROBOROUGH, AXMINSTER, AXMOUTH, BLACK TORRINGTON, PLYMPTON, ERMINGTON, COLYTON, CLYSTON, BRAUNTON, SHIRWELL, FREMINGTON, NORTH MOLTON, MOLLAND AND SHEBBEAR IN EARLY TIMES. These 18 Hundreds were issued separately as extra volumes by the Devonshire Association, 584pp, continuously paginated, cloth, lightly rubbed to edges, few marks to boards and foot of spine, ex-lib. with labels to front endpapers. Torquay: The Devonshire Press, 1928-1938. £180.00
- Risdon (Tristram) THE CHOROGRAPHICAL DESCRIPTION OR SURVEY OF THE COUNTY OF DEVON. Printed from a genuine copy of the original manuscript; with considerable additions. xxxvi + 432pp + 22 + (16) + 433-442pp + 'corrections slip', full early calf, gilt tooled spine, covers lightly rubbed to corners, small portion chipped from head of spine, marbled endpapers, occasional light foxing, name in ink to title-page. London: Printed for Rees and Curtis, Plymouth. 1811. £110.00 --- See sample text
* With the bookplate of Owen Wynne and the engraved armorial bookplate of A.O. Lillifant to front pastedown.
- Robinson (Chris), writer and illustrator PLYMOUTH As Time Draws On. Illusts, xi + 210pp, oblong 4to, dustwrapper. Pen and Ink Publishing, Plymouth: 1985. £8.00
* Signed presentation inscription by the author on the front endpaper.
- Robinson (R.E.R) THE BLOODY ELEVENTH History of the Devonshire Regiment. Volume I: 1685-1815. Maps, plans, illusts, coloured plates, xv + 719pp, dustwrapper. The Devonshire and Dorset Regiment, Exeter: 1988. £25.00
- Robjohns (Sydney) BUCKLAND ABBEY AND SIR FRANCIS DRAKE. A paper read before the fellows of the Royal Historical Society. 32pp, half calf cloth boards, monogrammed initials inlaid in leather on top board of John Tricks Spalding, and with his bookplate to front endpaper, and the bookplate of T.N. Brushfield to front pastedown. Plymouth: Bowering & Company, 1877. £38.00
- Rogers (W.H. Hamilton) THE SEPULCHRAL EFFIGIES IN THE PARISH CHURCHES OF NORTH DEVON. Illustrated with 19 plates and numerous illusts in the text, 193-542pp, complete, 4to, original cloth backed printed paper boards, few slight marks to covers. Printed by William Pollard, Exeter: 1877. £30.00
* Forming Part II. Volume III. Second Series of Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society.
- Rogers (W.H.H) THE SEPULCHRAL EFFIGIES IN THE PARISH CHURCHES OF SOUTH DEVON. With 25 plates, pages numbered 35-75, 4to, disbound, extracted from a larger work. Printed by William Pollard, Exeter: 1869. £20.00
* This item is contained within Part I, Volume II, Second Series, of the Transactions of the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society. The volume also includes articles on Bells of the Cathedral and other Churches in Devon; S. Mary Major, Exeter, etc.
- Rolt (L.T.C) THE POTTERS' FIELD. A History of the South Devon Ball Clay Industry. 159pp, dustwrapper. First edition, David & Charles, Newton Abbot: 1974. £10.00
* Concerns the ball clay deposits of the Bovey Basin between Newton Abbot and Bovey Tracey.
- Rowe (Samuel) PERAMBULATION OF THE ANCIENT AND ROYAL FOREST OF DARTMOOR and the Venville Precincts.... Third Edition, revised and Corrected by J. Brooking Rowe. Illustrated from drawings by F.J. Widgery, 4 folding maps, xvi + 516pp, original cloth. Third edition, Exeter: James G. Commin, London: Gibbings, 1896. £45.00
- Russell (Lady Rachel) LETTERS OF LADY RACHEL RUSSELL; From the Manuscript in the Library at Woburn Abbey. To which is prefixed, An Introduction, indicating the Character of Lord Russell Against Sir John Dalrymple, &c. The Second Edition, Corrected. lxxii + 216pp, 4to, contemporary half calf, marbled boards, slightly rubbed. Second Edition, London: Printed for Edward and Charles Dilly, 1773. £50.00
* Rachel was the wife of William Russell, M.P. for Tavistock, who was executed as a conspirator in the Rye House Plot. These letters are mainly letters to her husband.
- Russell (Percy) DARTMOUTH A History of the Port and Town. With 4 maps and 50 illusts, vii + 184pp, short tear to partly faded dustwrapper. First edition, B.T. Batsford Ltd., London: 1950. £8.00
- Russell (Percy) THE GOOD TOWN OF TOTNES. With 4 plans, 10 plates, 6 figures, viii + 107pp, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper. Devonshire Association, Exeter: (1963). £8.00
- Sambourne (R.C) EXETER A Century of Public Transport. Plates, maps, 104pp, 4to, slightly faded dustwrapper. Glasney Press, Falmouth: 1976. £12.00
- Sandford (E.G) THE EXETER EPISCOPATE OF ARCHBISHOP TEMPLE 1869-1885. Frontis and 2 plates, 366pp, untrimmed in the original cloth. London: MacMillan and Co. 1907. £25.00
- Shapter (Thomas) THE CLIMATE OF THE SOUTH OF DEVON; and its Influence upon Health: with Short Accounts of Exeter, Torquay, Babbicombe, Teignmouth, Dawlish, Exmouth, Budleigh-Salterton, Sidmouth, &c. With a coloured geological map, and two other maps, xiv + 282pp + 32 pages of publishers catalogue, original cloth, short narrow damp stain to fore-edge of top board. Second edition, London: John Churchill, 1862. £65.00
* Includes chapters on geology, diseases, mammalia, etc.
- Shapter (Thomas) THE HISTORY OF THE CHOLERA IN EXETER IN 1832. With a folding map, textual illusts, 297 + 32 pages of publisher's adverts, original cloth, lightly rubbed, short split to head of top outer hinge, front inner hinge partly cracked though sound. London: John Churchill, Exeter: Adam Holden, 1849. £140.00
- Sharland (John) RECOLLECTIONS OF THE GREAT LORD PALMERSTON AND OLD TIMES IN DEVON. Frontis, a plate and a double-page facsimile, 98pp, 12mo, original qtr parchment, cloth boards, parchment slightly dusty, damp spots to lower corner of boards. Tiverton: Gregory and Son, Palmerston Press, (1898) £26.00
- Shortt (W.T.P) COLLECTANEA CURIOSA ANTIQUA DUNMONIA; or an essay on some Druidical Remains in Devon, and also on its Noble Ancient Camps and Circumvallations. Interspersed with Interesting Numismatic Memoranda and Notices of late Discoveries of Roman Coins, Pottery, and other Remains in Exeter and Devon. A list of Exeter Trading and Tavern Tokens, with several curious matters of Modern Interest, &c. With an engraved vignette title page and 6 engraved plates, 96pp + iv + 1« page list of subscribers, unlettered original cloth, neatly recased retaining the original endpapers. Exeter: W.C. Featherstone. London: J.B. Nicholls, c.1839. £65.00
- Snell (F.J) PALMERSTON'S BOROUGH A Budget of Electioneering Anecdotes, Jokes, Squibs, and Speeches. Mounted portrait photo to title, 141pp, original cloth, gilt lettered to top board, cloth slightly rubbed to edges, top outer hinge partly split, Tiverton War Memorial Library label to front endpaper, some spotting mainly to prelims. Printed & Published by Gregory, Son & Tozer, Tiverton, Devon: (1894) £30.00
- Snell (Lawrence S) THE CHANTRY CERTIFICATES FOR DEVON AND THE CITY OF EXETER. Documents Towards a History of the Reformation in Devon. Frontis., 98pp, original cloth. Exeter: James Townsend and Sons, (1960) £17.00
- Snetzler (Marjorie F), editor DEVON EXTRACTS 1665-1850. Volume 1, Part 2, L-Z. Pages numbered 100-158 + (6) page index, typescript, folio, plastic comb binding, laminated card covers. Devon Family History Society, 1987. £12.00
* These extracts are taken from the London Gazette. Contains much on the various vessels sailing in and out of Plymouth.
- South Molton REPORT ON THE BOROUGH OF SOUTH MOLTON. (Devonshire) Title + pages numbered 612-616, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound, pages loose. House of Commons, London: 1835. £12.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Spreat (W) PICTURESQUE SKETCHES OF THE CHURCHES OF DEVON. Drawn from Nature and on Stone. With a litho title vignette and 74 lithographic views, mainly one per page, and with 6 views on two sheets, descriptive letterpress, tissue guards to plates, oblong folio, full contemporary calf, slightly rubbed to edges, spine gilt tooled, leather label on spine, couple of short splits to outer and inner hinges, though sound, marbled endpapers, a couple of plates foxed, otherwise a clean copy. With a 1 page list of 164 subscribers. W. Spreat, 263 High St, Exeter: 1842. £500.00
* A fine series of attractive lithographs, most of them being exterior views, many with people in the fore-ground. See Somers Cocks's Devon Topographical Prints, S.156.
- St. Andrew's, Plymouth, edited by M.C.S. Cruwys. THE REGISTER OF BAPTISMS, MARRIAGES AND BURIALS OF THE PARISH OF ST. ANDREW'S PLYMOUTH Co. Devon A.D. 1581-1618 with Baptisms 1619-1633. 588pp, untrimmed, partly unopened, loose in parts and unbound as issued, a few leaves partly waterstained at the rear. The Devon & Cornwall Record Society. Exeter: 1954. £75.00
* This item was issued in parts over some years and rarely turns up complete.
- Stabb (John) DEVON CHURCH ANTIQUITIES. Being a Description of many objects in the old parish churches of Devon. Illusts., xii + 152pp, original cloth, boards very slightly warped. Volume 1 (all published) London: Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent, 1909. £16.00
- Stewart (Robert) HANDBOOK OF THE TORQUAY FLORA; Comprising the Flowering Plants and Ferns Growing In and Around Torquay. With Their Respective Habitats. iv + 187pp, sm 8vo, original embossed cloth, cloth split across spine, outer hinges partly split to head and foot of spine, otherwise sound. Torquay & London: 1860. £24.00
- Stirling (D.M) BEAUTIES OF THE SHORE: or A Guide to the Watering Places on the South East Coast of Devon. Comprising copious illustrations of the Antiquities, History, Topography and Scenery of the following parishes; Seaton, Axmouth, &c. &c. vi + 191pp + 6pp list of subscribers + 3 pages of adverts, 12mo, original cloth, spine faded, leather label on spine, light foxing to prelims. Exeter: Printed for the Author by W. Roberts. 1838. £115.00
- Stoate (T.L), editor and publisher DEVON LAY SUBSIDY ROLLS 1543 - 5. xii + 232pp, small folio, original cloth. Almondsbury: T.L. Stoate, 1986. £70.00
- Stoate (T.L), editor and publisher DEVON TAXES 1581 - 1660. xii + 260pp, small folio, original cloth. Almondsbury: T.L. Stoate, 1988. £75.00
- Stone (Avril), (nee Barthram) THE BOOK OF BARNSTAPLE Volume 2. From Coronation to Millenium. Illusts, 160pp, 4to, dustwrapper. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 2003. £20.00
- Summerson (Henry), edited and introduction by CROWN PLEAS OF THE DEVON EYRE OF 1238. Frontispiece map, lii + 163pp, original card covers, small snag to spine. Devon and Cornwall Record Society New Series, Volume 28. Torquay: 1985. £10.00
- Tavistock properties IN ARBITRATION Before A.J. Ram, Esq. K.C. Arbitrator. Between HIS GRACE THE DUKE OF BEDFORD, K.G. and THE TAVISTOCK URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL. [Transcript from the Shorthand Notes of Messrs. Hodges, Son & Emery, 87 Chancery Lane, W.C.] 828pp, folio, half calf, cloth boards rubbed to edges, rear outer hinge partly split, though sound, small portion missing from foot of spine, cloth split at edge of top board and partly lifted. 1912-13. £80.00
* With details of the properties concerned and their rents. The arbitration lasted 15 days.
- Thompson (R.W) HOME IN HAM. With drawings by Gay Thomas, map endpapers, 240pp, dustwrapper. J.W. Arrowsmith Ltd., Bristol: 1938. £15.00
* Concerns Georgeham in North Devon.
- Thompson (W. Harding) DEVON, a Survey of its Coasts, Moors & Rivers, with some Suggestions for their Preservation. With 44 plates, 6 coloured folding maps, 3 textual illusts, xx + 144pp, 4to, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper. University of London Press Ltd. 1932. £15.00
- Tiverton REPORT ON THE BOROUGH OF TIVERTON. (Devonshire.) Title + pages numbered 624-630, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound, pages loose. House of Commons, London: 1835. £12.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Torquay Pottery SCANDY. THE TORQUAY POTTERY COLLECTORS' SOCIETY Magazines a run from April 1989 - Winter 2002. 51 issues in total, each issue is illustrated and contains between 28 and 48 pages. The issue for January 1993 is a photocopy. This run lacks:- April 1994, October 1998, May and August 1998, February 1999, Summer and Autumn 2002. April 1989 - Winter 2002. £25.00
- Torr (C) SMALL TALK AT WREYLAND. Second Series. 120 + 4 pages of publishers adverts, untrimmed in the original qtr buckram paper boards, corners of boards rubbed, some foxing to prelims. First edition, Cambridge at the University Press, 1921. £15.00
* 'Wreyland is land by the Wrey, a little stream in Devonshire. The Wrey flows into the Bovey, and the Bovey into the Teign.... The land is on the east side of the Wrey, just opposite the village of Lustleigh.' Preface.
- Torr (Cecil) WREYLAND DOCUMENTS. Edited with introduction and notes by Cecil Torr, of Yonder Wreyland.... With 2 plates, c + 109pp, original buckram, uncut, and unopened. Numbered Limited Edition. Printed For Private Circulation Only. University Press Cambridge: 1910. £85.00
- Travis (John) AN ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH. 1770 - 1914. Illusts, 190pp, roy 8vo, dustwrapper. Breedon Books, Derby: 1995. £12.00
* Signed by the author on the title-page.
- Tucker (W), printer WEST BUCKLAND YEAR BOOK, and Kalendar for 1857. With 2 engraved plates, textual illusts, 121pp + 50pp, original cloth, few small damp spots to covers, early presentation inscription on front endpaper. South Molton: W. Tucker, 1857. £40.00
* Includes short chapters on Dartmoor, Lundy, Exmoor, 'A Ride in Cornwall,' etc.
- Tuckett (John) DEVONSHIRE PEDIGREES. Recorded in the Herald's Visitation of 1620; With Additions from the Harleian Manuscripts, and the Printed Collections of Westcote and Pole. Parts 1-6, with Index, (iv) + 96 + Parts 7-12, with Index, (iv) 97-192pp, 4to, contemporary half calf, cloth boards, spine gilt tooled, raised bands, and with morocco label, marbled endpapers, covers very slightly rubbed to edges. LIMITED TO 200 COPIES. John Russell Smith, London: 1859-61. £250.00
- Tugwell (G), editor THE NORTH DEVON HAND BOOK: Being a Guide to the Topography and Archaeology, and an Introduction to the Natural History of the District. With 13 of 14 steel vignette engraved plates, lacks map, x + 299 + (1)pp, sm 8vo, original cloth, gilt, lightly rubbed to edges. Second Edition. Ilfracombe : Published by John Banfield. n.d. c.1868 £40.00
* This edition regularly occurs with one plate missing.
- Tugwell (George) THE NORTH DEVON SCENERY-BOOK. Illustrated by H.B. Scougall. With 8 coloured litho plates, vi + (ii) + 274pp, original cloth, lacks front endpaper, signs where name? scratched from title-page, small amount of light water staining to top margins. Second Edition. London: Simpkin, Marshall, Ilfracombe: John Banfield, (1863) £70.00
- Tugwell (Rev. G), editor STEWART'S (Late BANFIELD'S) SHILLING GUIDE-BOOK TO NORTH DEVON. With engraved vignette frontis, folding map, 87 + (1)pp publishers advert, sm, 8vo, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges, contemporary name in ink to title-page. Seventh Edition, Ilfracombe: W. Stewart, "Arrival List" Office. 187- £40.00
- Tugwell (Rev. George), editor THE NORTH DEVON HAND - BOOK: Being a Guide to the Topography and Archaeology, and an Introduction to the Natural History of the District. With 2 folding maps one of which is contained in a pocket at the rear, an actual photo frontis which has been pasted down, and with 12 steel vignette engraved plates, xiii + 422pp, sm 8vo, original cloth, decorative gilt view on top board, covers very slightly rubbed, spine slightly dull, couple of small marks to rear board. Name in ink in a contemporary hand to endpapers. Fourth Edition. London: Simpkin, Marshall, Ilfracombe: W. Stewart, "Gazette and Arrival List." Preface dated 1877. £65.00
- Tugwell (Rev. George), editor BANFIELD'S SHILLING GUIDE-BOOK TO NORTH DEVON. With engraved vignette frontis, folding map, [vi] + 80pp, sm. 8vo, original cloth, lightly rubbed, pencil notes to verso of front endpaper, lacks rear endpaper. Fourth Edition. Ilfracombe: J. Banfield "Arrival List" Office. c.1864. £40.00
- United Devon Association THE BOOK OF FAIR DEVON. Plates and textual illusts, 209pp, original cloth boards, tall 12mo, front inner hinge cracked though sound, few spots to prelims. United Devon Association, Exeter: 1899-1900. £6.00
- Ussher (W.A.E), and others THE GEOLOGY OF THE COUNTRY AROUND TORQUAY. Memoirs of the Geological Survey. England and Wales. Explanation of Sheet 350. With textual illusts, 142pp, original printed wraps. First edition, London, H.M.S.O. 1903. £28.00
- Ussher (W.A.E), and others THE GEOLOGY OF THE COUNTRY AROUND IVYBRIDGE AND MODBURY. Memoirs of the Geological Survey. England and Wales. Explanation of Sheet 349. With 4 plates, textual illusts, vi + 142pp, original printed wraps. First edition, London, H.M.S.O. 1912. £22.00
- Vancouver (Charles) GENERAL VIEW OF THE AGRICULTURE OF DEVON; With Observations on the Means of its Improvement. Drawn up for the Consideration of the Board of Agriculture. Lacks map, title-page and 1 plate, contains 27 plates, 2 of which are hand-coloured, 7 folding tables, loose pages iii-xii + 479 + 2 pages of publishers adverts + 2 page catalogue of Agricultural Seeds for sale + Directions to Binder + 16 pages of publishers catalogue, untrimmed in the original boards, top board loose, lacks portions from spine and lettering piece, occasional off-setting, one leaf loose, 2 fore-edge margins partly torn. First edition, London: Richard Phillips, 1808. £50.00
- Venn (John) ANNALS OF A CLERICAL FAMILY. Being some Account of the Family and Descendants of William Venn, Vicar of Otterton Devon 1600-1621. With numerous illusts, folding map, pedigrees, xi + 296pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges. First edition, London: Macmillan and Co., 1904. £65.00
* Signed typed note by the author tipped in to the front.
- Vivian (Lieutenant-Colonel J.L), editor THE MARRIAGE LICENSES OF THE DIOCESE OF EXETER. 120pp, complete in 3 parts in the original printed, bound together in recent cloth, one rear wrap ragged at fore-edge. Loosely inserted is a single, 12mo, handwritten letter by Vivian. First edition, Exeter: William Pollard, 1887-1889. £120.00
- Vivian (Lt.-Col. J.L) VISITATIONS OF THE COUNTY OF DEVON, Comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with Additions. iv + 899pp, 4to, full panelled calf, raised bands, spine gilt tooled, with morocco label, marbled endpapers, a small amount of spotting to endpapers, otherwise a nice copy. For the Author by Henry S. Eland, Exeter: (1895) £450.00
- Vivian (Lt.-Col. J.L) VISITATIONS OF THE COUNTY OF DEVON, Comprising the Heralds' Visitations of 1531, 1564, and 1620, with Additions. iv + 899pp, 4to, early qtr morocco, cloth boards, recased, inner hinges strengthened, old spine laid down, 2 portions of morocco missing from surface of spine, including 'V' from Visitations, and large portion from foot, marbled endpapers, covers rubbed to edges. For the Author by H.S. Eland, Exeter: (1895) £350.00
- Vowell (John) THE ANTIQUE DESCRIPTION AND ACCOUNT OF THE CITY OF EXETER: In Three Parts. Part I. Containing the Ancient History.... Part II. Containing a large and curious Account of the Antiquity, Foundation, and Building, of the Cathedral Church of St. Peter.... Part III. Contains the Offices and Duties (as of Old) of those particular Sworn Officers, &c. of the City.... All written by John Vowell, alias Hoker, Gent. Chamberlain, and Representative in Parliament of the same. (2) + ii + (4) + 192pp, sm 4to, recent qtr cloth, paper boards, title slightly dusty, with the inner margin re-margined, last leaf dusty, couple of lower corners at rear slightly stained. Ownership signature dated 1805 to verso of title-page. Exon: Now first printed together by Andrew Brice, in Northgate-street. 1765. £85.00
- Vowell (John) THE ANTIQUE DESCRIPTION AND ACCOUNT OF THE CITY OF EXETER: In Three Parts. Part I. Containing the Ancient History.... Part II. Containing a large and curious Account of the Antiquity, Foundation, and Building, of the Cathedral Church of St. Peter.... Part III. Contains the Offices and Duties (as of Old) of those particular Sworn Officers, &c. of the City.... All written by John Vowell, alias Hoker, Gent. Chamberlain, and Representative in Parliament of the same. (2) + ii + (4) + 192pp, sm 4to, recent half calf, marbled boards, title slightly spotty otherwise a clean copy. Exon: Now first printed together by Andrew Brice, in Northgate-street. 1765. £105.00
- Wade (Z.E.A) THE VERY ANCIENT CHURCH OF ILFRACOMBE. A Curious Mosaic A.M. and A.D. Pictorial title-page, 124 + (iv)pp, 12mo, original cloth. Ilfracombe: Gazette and Observer Offices. 1891. £25.00
- Walters (W), editor TWISS AND SONS' ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO ILFRACOMBE AND NORTH DEVON. Special Chapters by well-known Local Authorities. Illusts, with a folding map and a folding plan, 191 + 10 pages of adverts, sq 12mo, original cloth, titled on top board. Twiss and Sons, Ilfracombe: c.1892. £20.00
* There is no list of the number of plans this work should contain. This copy has 'One Shilling Nett' on top board. We have encountered other copies which have identical text, and have 'Two Shilling Nett' on the top board which contain 2 more plans.
- Warner (Rev. H.J) A HISTORY OF YEALMPTON. (Devonshire) With 4 plates, 93pp, few spots to the original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges. Plymouth: Western Morning News. 1907. £40.00
- Warner (Rev. H.J) A HISTORY OF YEALMPTON. (Devonshire) With 3 of 4 plates, 93pp, few spots to the original cloth, rubbed to edges, outer hinges partly split, few horizontal splits to spine, shaken. Includes 2 Yealmpton engravings to the endpapers at the rear, as well as manuscript transcriptions from the Yealmpton parish registers, along with other notes, concerning the Alger family to the endpapers, and 3 pages concerning the family in the 'Taxation Returns in Public Record Office 1524 to 1674'. Plymouth: Western Morning News. 1907. £30.00
- Watkin (Hugh R) THE HISTORY OF TOTNES PRIORY AND MEDIEVAL TOWN DEVONSHIRE together with the sister priory at Tywardreath, Cornwall. Compiled from Original Records. With illustrations, plans and map, some of which are folding. Volumes 1 and 2 plus Index volume, viii + 616pp and 617-1121 + 1121b-1121dpp, and xii + 1122-1284pp, untrimmed in the original buckram, spine slight dusty, small dent to spine of index volume, marbled endpapers, top edges gilt. Published by the Author. Torquay: 1914-17. £300.00
* Signed presentation inscription by Watkin to the half-title, of volume 1.
- Watkins (John) AN ESSAY TOWARDS A HISTORY OF BIDEFORD in the County of Devon. 280pp, sm 8vo, original cloth, inner hinges cracked and weak, top board has several creases to cloth where corner has been bent. Carefully Reprinted by Frederick Perkin, Bideford: 1883. £36.00
* Includes chapters on local Witches, the Bridge and Quay, the Granvilles etc.
- Westcote (Thomas), edited by George Oliver & Pitman Jones. VIEW OF DEVONSHIRE IN MDCXXX With a Pedigree of most of its Gentry. Double-page pedigree, 649pp, sm 4to, early half calf, marbled boards, lightly rubbed to edges, pedigree and the occasional page spotty. Exeter: William Roberts, 1845. £160.00
- Whetham (Catherine Durning), and (Margaret), editor A MANOR BOOK OF OTTERY SAINT MARY. With Notes on the History of the Dependent Manor of Cadhay by W.C.D. Whetham. vi + [ii] + 184 + [viii]pp of publishers adverts, original cloth, some damp spotting to lower half of spine, light foxing to prelims. London: Longmans, Green and Co. 1913. £45.00
- White (J.T) THE HISTORY OF TORQUAY. With 13 litho. plates including one of which is folding, a few illusts in the text, xi + 403pp + 17pp of adverts, one section of text slightly jumped, original embossed cloth, some damp spotting to rear board, internally sound, occasional light spotting to text. First edition, Printed at the "Directory Office", Torquay: 1878. £60.00 --- See sample text
- White (Matt) DARTMOUTH AND THE SOUTH DEVON POTTERIES. With coloured and black and white illusts, 160pp, dustwrapper. The Crowood Press, Ramsbury: 2002. £14.00
- White (Reginald G.C) "THE HISTORY OF THE FEOFFEES OF COLYTON" 1546-1946. Illusts., including a coloured plate showing coats of arms of prominent local families, 49pp, original cloth, few spots to endpapers. Lyme Regis Printing Co., 1951. £26.00
- White (William) HISTORY, GAZETTEER AND DIRECTORY OF THE COUNTY OF DEVON including the City of Exeter, and Comprising a General Survey of the County.... Folding map, xvi + 1103pp + 24pp of adverts, original cloth, neatly recased with old spine relaid, old spine lacks the last letter of 'Devonshire', front endpaper slightly chipped to fore-edge. Sheffield: William White. 1878-9. £125.00
- White (William) HISTORY, GAZETTEER AND DIRECTORY OF THE COUNTY OF DEVONSHIRE, and the City and County of the City of Exeter.... with separate Historical, Statistical, & Topographical descriptions of all the Boroughs, Towns, Ports, Bathing Places.... 804pp, without map as usual, original full calf, blind stamped, covers rubbed to edges, short split to top outer hinge. Printed for the Author. Sheffield: 1850. £110.00
- Whitfeld (Henry Francis) PLYMOUTH AND DEVONPORT IN TIMES OF WAR AND PEACE. Numerous illusts, xi + 560pp + 48 + ivpp, 4to, untrimmed in the original cloth, top of rear outer hinge split for approx. 3", ex-lib. with label to front pastedown, and stamp and numbers to verso of title-page. Second Edition, Plymouth: E. Chapple. Devonport: Hiorns and Miller, 1900. £40.00
* Titled:- 'Subscriber's Copy' on top board.
- Whitham (John A) OTTERY ST MARY. Maps, plates, textual illusts, xiii + 124pp, dustwrapper. Phillimore, Chichester: 1984. £12.00
- Wilkinson (B) THE MEDIAEVAL COUNCIL OF EXETER. With an Introduction by R.C. Easterling. Folding map, 105pp, original cloth, cloth slightly cockled. Published for the University College of the South West of England by the Manchester University Press: (1931) £18.00
- Willis (Browne) NOTITIA PARLIAMENTARIA: of the Counties, Cities and Boroughs in England and Wales..... DEVON section only. Pages numbered 237-386, complete, with a copy of the title page from the original volume, recent cloth, paper label on the spine. London: Printed for Robert Gosling, 1716. £22.00
- Wilson and Phillips, printer and publisher WHO'S WHO IN DEVONSHIRE. 294pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, spine slightly soiled, 1" split to rear outer hinge. Numbered Limited Edition. Hereford: Wilson and Phillips, 1934. £18.00
- Wilson (Francis Rought) THE HISTORY OF ST. MARY'S CHURCH BRIXTON SOUTH DEVON. With Five Illustrations by H.W. Goffin. x + 54pp, sm 8vo, original cloth. London: S.P.C.K. 1926. £18.00
* With the signature of C.W. Bracken, the local author, on front endpaper.
- [Wolcot (John)] THE ROYAL VISIT TO EXETER; A Poetical Epistle, By John Ploughshare, A farmer of Moreton Hampstead in the County of Devon. Published by Peter Pindar, Esq. 4to, 32pp, some numbers cropped at top margin, later half roan, cloth boards, some spotting to cloth. London: Printed for J. Walker, 1795. £85.00
- Wollocombe (John B) TETCOTT HUNT WEEK. Antecedents and Consequences. With Fifteen Illustrations, 74pp, original cloth, partly faded, lightly rubbed to edges. London: Skeffington & Son, 1895. £45.00
- Wood (W), printer and publisher THE HAND-BOOK TO SOUTH DEVON, Dartmoor, etc. With folding maps of South Devon, the City of Exeter, and the Three Towns of Plymouth, Devonport, and Stonehouse, 107 + 3 pages of adverts, sm 8vo, original cloth boards, few marks to boards, recent, amateur, spine, and endpapers, fold to one map neatly reinforced to verso. Third Edition. Devonport: Printed and Published by W. Wood. c.185- £48.00
- Woods (Stephen H) DARTMOOR STONE Photographic illusts, maps, 311pp, oblong 8vo, pictorial card covers, slight crease to top wrap. Published by Devon Books in association with the Dartmoor Park Authority, 1988. £6.00
- Woolmer (S) A CONCISE ACCOUNT OF THE CITY OF EXETER, Its Neighbourhood, and Adjacent Watering Places, Being an Interesting Companion for All Persons Residing at, or Resorting to this Ancient City: Presenting a familiar Narrative of its History, from the earliest Period, Together with a Variety of Particular Occurrences and Anecdotes Compiled from the best Authorities. 104pp, half calf, marbled boards, leather label slightly chipped on spine. Third Edition. With Additions and Improvements. Exeter: 1821. £60.00
* With the bookplate of John Tricks Spalding.
- Woolmer (S) A CONCISE ACCOUNT OF THE CITY OF EXETER, Its Neighbourhood, and Adjacent Watering Places, Being an Interesting Companion for All Persons residing at, or resorting to this Ancient City: Giving a familiar Narrative of its History, from the earliest Period, to the Present Time. Together with a Variety of Particular Occurences and Anecdotes Compiled from the best Authorities. Engraved frontis, and 1 other plate, 108pp, sm 8vo, untrimmed in the original paper boards, with the original printed label on top board, boards rubbed and soiled, crude cloth spine overlapping onto boards, 8 leaves very spotty. Second Edition, with Additions and Improvements. Printed and Sold by S. Woolmer, Exeter: 1811. £28.00
- Worth (R.N) CALENDAR OF THE TAVISTOCK PARISH RECORDS. Frontis, viii + 135pp, original cloth. Privately Printed by William Brendon and Son, Plymouth: 1887. £35.00
- Worth (R.N) CALENDAR OF THE PLYMOUTH MUNICIPAL RECORDS. Vignette title, x + 308pp, original embossed cloth, lightly rubbed to edges, some spots to rear board. William Brenton and Son, Printers. Plymouth: 1893. £45.00
- Worthy (Charles) DEVONSHIRE PARISHES, or the Antiquities, Heraldry and Family History of Twenty-eight Parishes in the Archdeaconry of Totnes. In 2 volumes, xi + 376pp and viii + 390pp, roy 8vo, original cloth. LIMITED TO 225 COPIES on small paper. Exeter: William Pollard, London: George Redway, 1887-9. £200.00
* Covers:- Bickleigh, Sheepstor, Walkhampton, Buckland Monachorum, Meavy, St. Peter Tavy, Maristow, Thrushelon, Lamerton, Lidford, Milton Abbot, Ashprington, Dartmouth, Broad-Hempston, Little-Hempston, Wolborough, Hennock, North Bovey, Lustleigh, Denbury, South Brent, Harford, Shaugh, Kingsteignton, Highweek with Newton Bushel, Tor-Mohun, and St. Mary Church.
- Worthy (Charles) DEVONSHIRE WILLS: A collection of annotated Testamentary abstracts, together with the Family History and Genealogy of Many of the most Ancient Houses of the West of England. xv + 516pp, roy 8vo, untrimmed in the original cloth London: Bemrose and Sons, 1896. £135.00
- Worthy (Charles) THE HISTORY OF THE SUBURBS OF EXETER With general particulars of the Landowners, Lay and Clerical, from the Conquest to the present time, and a special notice of the Hamlyn Family. Together with "A Digression" on the Noble Houses of Redvers, and of Courtenay, Earls of Devon. viii + 210pp, early half calf, cloth boards. London: Henry Gray, Exeter: S. Drayton, Plymouth: W.B. Westcott, 1892. £50.00
* With the bookplate of John Tricks Spalding.
- Wrey (Florence) TAWSTOCK CHURCH North Devon. Written and Illustrated by Florence Wrey. 32pp, sm 4to, original cloth boards, short split to cloth at head of spine. First edition, Barnstaple: Marks Brothers, 107, High Street. 1892. £24.00
* Contemporary presentation inscription to Lady Audrey Buller.
- Wright (W.H.K) SPANISH ARMADA. A Descriptive Historical Poem, In Commemoration of the Opening of the New Guildhall, Plymouth by His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales, K.G., &c., &c., August 13th, 1874. 32pp, 12mo, original limp cloth. Plymouth: G.P. Friend, 1874. £30.00
* With the bookplate of John Davies Enys.
- Yonge (Dr. James) PLYMOUTH MEMOIRS. A Manuscript by Dr. James Yonge, F.R.S. Mayor of Plymouth, 1694 - 95, who died in the year 1721. Edited for Plymouth Institution and Devon & Cornwall Natural History Society by John J. Beckerlegge. With 4 plates, xiii + 123 leaves, mainly printed on rectos. NUMBERED LIMITED EDITION OF 300 COPIES. Plymouth Institution and Devon and Cornwall Natural History Society, Plymouth: 1951. £15.00
- Youings (Joyce) TUCKERS HALL EXETER. The History of a Provincial City Company Through Five Centuries. Frontis, and 11 plates, xiv + 258pp, original cloth, slight wear to edges of dustwrapper, few spots to rear of dustwrapper. University of Exeter: 1968. £20.00
- Young (E.H) OKEHAMPTON. Parochial Histories of Devonshire No 1. Illusts, folding map and folding plan, 81pp, original card covers, partly faded, slight crease to top cover. Devonshire Association. 1932. £16.00
Back to the TopCopyright © Ambra Books -- 2020. All rights reserved.
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :-
Tel:- ( 0117 ) 9076899
E-mail :- email@example.com
Bristol -- Cornwall
DEVON & CORNWALL Notes and Queries
Dorset -- Gloucestershire -- Somerset -- Wiltshire --
General ( Includes items of DEVON interest. )
DEVON Clearance List
DEVON :- Selection of items I wish to purchase
DEVON :- Selection of manuscripts, maps, ephemera etc. for sale from Lesley Aitchison.
AMBRA BOOKS Home page