WILTSHIRE - History, Topography and Genealogy
Antiquarian and Secondhand Books
This is a selection from my stock.
Please let me know if there are any other titles you are looking for.
Click on:- ORDERING details
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :- ( 0117 ) 9076899
Postage, packing and insurance are extra.
When ordering from this list please note item No., Author, and Title.
Payment can be made by either sterling cheque, or by bank transfer.
Prices are nett.
Click to go to:- WILTSHIRE Clearance List
- Akerman (John Yonge) SOME ACCOUNT OF THE ABBEY OF MALMESBURY in the Days of the Anglo-Saxon Kings; With Remarks on the Ancient Limits of The Forest of Braden. Large folding map mounted on linen, 59pp, 4to, lacks wraps, title slightly dusty and ragged with a few short tears, linen slightly discoloured, occasional light foxing. Reprinted from Archaeologia. London: J.B. Nichols and Sons. 1857. £10.00
- Annable (F.K) and Simpson (D.D.A) GUIDE CATALOGUE OF THE NEOLITHIC AND BRONZE AGE COLLECTIONS IN DEVIZES MUSEUM. With a foreword by Professor Stuart Piggott. Plates, textual illusts, 133pp, roy 8vo, original cloth. Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, Devizes: 1964. £10.00
- Archaeological Institute MEMOIRS ILLUSTRATIVE OF THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF WILTSHIRE AND THE CITY OF SALISBURY. Communicated to the Annual meeting of the Archaeological Institute of Great Britain and Ireland, Held at Salisbury, July, 1849. With a folding map and numerous plates, viii + 314 + 2 pages of publishers adverts, original cloth, recased with spine laid down and new endpapers. London: George Bell. 1851. £25.00
* Includes chapters on:- Silbury Hill; Avebury; Sculptures at Wilton House; Stonehenge, etc.
- Baker (T.H) NOTES ON ST. MARTIN'S CHURCH AND PARISH. With 3 plates, viii + 167pp, prelims and rear endpapers browned and spotty, original cloth, inner hinges cracked though sound, short split to top outer hinge. Salisbury: Brown and Co., 1906. £14.00
* St. Martins church is in Salisbury.
- Baker (T.H), and Hammond (J.J), transcribed by THE REGISTERS OF THE PARISH OF WYLYE IN THE COUNTY OF WILTS. Published by the Rev. G.R. Hadow. (xiv) + 252pp + errata, original cloth, roy 8vo, few small marks to cloth, occasional light foxing. Published by Rev. G.R. Hadow. Printed by Geo. Simpson, Devizes: 1913. £65.00
* Very Scarce. Not in Goddard's Wiltshire Bibliography.
- Barony of Lucas IN THE HOUSE OF LORDS. 1907. Barony of Lucas of Crudwell. (i) Case on Behalf of Auberon Thomas Herbert, on his claim to be summoned to the House of Lords as Baron Lucas of Crudwell in the peerage of England 1907. (ii) Claimant's Book of Documents. (iii) Extracts from the Old Writers referred to in the Claimant's Case, with Translations. (iv) Copies of Documents used in evidence in the Lord Great Chambelain Case, 1902, relating to the Offices of Steward, Constable, Marshal and Chamberlain. 4 volumes:- (i) Two large folding pedigrees, 43pp, folio, original full leather, spine slightly rubbed to edges. (ii) 178pp, folio, original qtr cloth, printed paper boards, front inner hinge partly split. (iii) 11pp, folio, original qtr cloth, printed paper boards, slightly rubbed to edges, rear hinge weak and partly split. Nicholl, Manisty & Co., Solicitors for the Claimant, London: 1907. £105.00
* Herbert won his case as the barony was able to pass down through female lines. In Herbert's case his was via his maternal uncle.
- Bowles (Rev. W.L) and Nichols (J.G) ANNALS AND ANTIQUITIES OF LACOCK ABBEY, in the County of Wilts.... Including Notices of the Monasteries of Bradenstoke, Hinton and Farley. With 14 plates, and 2 plates, not called for, which have been tipped in, and 5 pedigrees 2 of which are folding, 374 + lxiii, occasional foxing to fore-edges, original cloth, paper label on spine, front inner hinge cracked but sound. First Edition, London: John Bowyer Nichols and Son, 1835. £145.00
* With the armorial bookplate of Rev. F. Bickley Astley.
- Bowles (Rev. W.L) HERMES BRITANNICUS A Dissertation on the Celtic Deity Teutates.... in further proof and corroboration of the Origin and Designation of the GREAT TEMPLE AT ABURY, in Wiltshire. Textual illusts, 149 + 1pp (advert), untrimmed in early qtr cloth, paper boards, lacks label on spine, spine slightly rubbed to edges, with a couple of short splits, small portion chipped from foot. One of only 250 copies printed. First edition, London: Printed by and for J.B. Nichols, 1828. £150.00
- Britton (J) HISTORICAL ACCOUNT OF CORSHAM HOUSE, in Wiltshire. The Seat of Paul Cobb Methuen, Esq. With a Catalogue of his Celebrated Collection of Pictures..... also Biographical Sketches of the Artists, whose works constitute this collection. Embellished with a View and Plan of the House. Engraved frontis, 108pp, recent cloth, paper label on spine, good margins. First edition, Printed for the Author and Joseph Barrett, Bath: 1806. £140.00
- [Britton (J)] THE BEAUTIES OF WILTSHIRE, Displayed in Statistical, Historical, and Descriptive Sketches: interspersed with Anecdotes of the Arts. With engraved and printed titles, engraved plates, 3 volumes, volume 1 has 6 plates and vignette view, xxxi + 312pp, volume 2 has 8 plates and vignette view, 311pp, and volume 3 has Map, 14 plates, lxi + (iii) + 443pp, early half calf, marbled boards, gilt lines and morocco labels to spines, cover very lightly rubbed, occasional spotting mainly to margins of plates. London: Printed by J.D. Dewick, 1801 & London: Printed for the Author, 1825. £205.00
- Britton (John) MEMOIR OF JOHN AUBREY, embracing his Autobiographical Sketches, A Brief Review of His Personal and Literary Merits and an Account of His Works; with Extracts from His Correspondence.... Frontis, xii + 131pp, 4to, original cloth, partly faded and slightly rubbed to edges, rear outer hinge partly split, though sound, short tear to head of spine, foot of spine chipped, some spotting to mainly to prelims. Published by the Wiltshire Topographical Society. First edition. 1845. £60.00
- Britton (John) THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF SALISBURY; Illustrated with A Series of Engravings of Views, Elevations, Plans, and Details of that Edifice. Also Etchings of the Ancient Monuments and Sculpture: Including Biographical Anecdotes of the Bishops, and of other Eminent Persons connected with the Church. With engraved and printed title pages, a plan and 30 engraved plates, viii + 114 + 8 pages of publisher's adverts, 4to, early cloth boards loose, some waterstaining to bottom coners of boards, slightly crinkling and affecting lower margins of text and plates, occasionally intruding into the engraved surface of plates. Folded and bound in at the rear is the Salisbury and Winchester Supplement, August 7th, 1858 concerning the Meeting of the British Archaeological Association and details of their trips into Wiltshire to view special sites of interest. Longman and others, London: 1814. £45.00
- Brooke (Henry), intro. ANCIENT AND HISTORICAL MONUMENTS IN THE CITY OF SALISBURY Volume 1. (Royal Commission on Historical Monuments, England) With 3 folding maps in pocket at rear, 104plates, numerous figures. 3 folding illusts, lxiv + 199pp, 4to, few short tears and small portion from rear of dustwrapper. H.M.S.O. 1980. £16.00
- Calne REGISTER OF PERSONS ENTITLED TO VOTE AT AN ELECTION OF A MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT FOR THE BOROUGH OF CALNE, in the County of Wilts, Between the 30th Day of November, 1852, and the 1st Day of December, 1853. 7pp, 4to, recent half vellum, with vellum lettering piece on top board titled in manuscript. Calne: C. Fowler, Printer 1852. £35.00
- Calne REPORT ON THE BOROUGH OF CALNE, (Wiltshire.) Title and pages numbered 1230-1234, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound. House of Commons, London: 1835. £10.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Camden (William) and Cary (John) WILTSHIRE. With a folding map, coloured in outline, published by John Stockdale, and engraved by J. Cary, plus the text extracted from Camden's Britannia, and enlarged by Richard Gough, 5 plates and one textual illust. Folio, pages numbered 129-164, recent unlettered cloth. 1805. £125.00
- Cave (R), and others GEOLOGY OF THE MALMESBURY DISTRICT. (Explanation of the One-inch Geological Sheet 251, New Series) Coloured folding map, folding table, plates, diagrams, viii + 343pp, dustwrapper protected in a loose transparent sleeve. First edition, London: H.M.S.O. 1977. £12.00
- Chandler (John) ENDLESS STREET A History of Salisbury and its People. Illustrated by Alison Borthwick. Plates, textual illusts, ix + 342pp, dustwrapper. Salisbury: The Hobnob Press, 1983. £12.00
- Chandler (John) MARLBOROUGH AND EASTERN WILTSHIRE. Wiltshire A History of its Landscape and People 1. Maps, illusts, xiii + 274pp, dustwrapper. Hobnob Press, Salisbury: 2001. £7.00
- Charity Commissioners FURTHER REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONERS.... CONCERNING CHARITIES. County of WILTSHIRE sections. Pages numbered 447-805 + 301-438 + 1207-1434 + 1-106 (index) + 365-446 + 9pp (index), folio, early cloth, rear hinge partly split, top board held by strings. Ordered by the House of Commons to be Printed, various dates c.1820 and c.1830. £90.00
- Cox (T) WILTSHIRE. Extracted from Magna Britannia. With folding map by Morden, textual illust of Stonehenge, pages numbered 47-215 + Distance Table, complete, sm 4to, early qtr roan, marbled boards, slightly rubbed, with a later printed title-page. In the Savoy, London: E. and R. Nutt, (1720) £80.00
* Includes sections on the Hundreds, Natural History, etc.
- Crabbe (Rev. George), Trowbridge THE CHURCH RESTORED, Including by permission, The Church, a Poem, by The Rev. George Crabbe, L.L.B. late Rector of Trowbridge, Wilts. With 7 steel engravings, iv + 49pp, sm 4to, original partly faded cloth, lacks portions of spine, front inner hinge cracked, ex-lib labels and tear to front endpaper, there are no stamps. London: John Murray, 1848. £9.00
* Includes a short history of Trowbridge and its charities.
- Cresswell (Thomas Estcourt) A NARRATIVE OF THE AFFAIR BETWEEN MR. CRESSWELL, AND MISS SC--E, Addressed to G--V--E SC---E, Esq. By which may be discover'd the Falsities, Misrepresentations, &c, In a LETTER in the General Evening-Post, October 31; Signed Lancelot Lee.... Bound with.... MISS SCROPE'S ANSWER TO MR. CRESSWELL'S NARRATIVE. Two volumes bound in one, iv + 78pp, and 232pp, signed and numbered 'Eliz Scrope. No 1244,' on the last leaf, full early calf, raised bands, rubbed, top board held by strings. Printed for Charles Green, in Avemary-lane, London: (1747) and Printed for R. Baldwin, jun. in Pater-Naster-Row, 1749. £250.00
* Gervase Scrope was the father of Elizabeth Scrope. He had accused Cresswell of several things including bigamy. Scrope was eventually proved right as Cresswell had married a wealthy heiress, Miss Anne Warneford, grand-daughter of Sir Edmund Warneford of Sevenhampton and Bibury, Gloucestershire, a few years after his marriage to Elizabeth. Cresswell was elected Member of Parliament for Wootton Bassett from 1754 to 1774. He died at Pinkney Park in 1788.
- Cunnington (William), and Godard (Rev. E.H), compiled by CATALOGUE OF ANTIQUITIES IN THE MUSEUM of the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society at Devizes. Part I. The Stourhead Collection. Numerous textual illusts, 96pp, original printed wraps, lacks spine shaken, date in ink on top wrap. Published by the Society at the Museum, Devizes: 1896. £8.00
- Daniell (J.J) THE HISTORY OF WARMINSTER. With a view of the Town & Neighbourhood in 1879. Illusts., xi + 237pp, original printed wraps, partly faded, and slightly rubbed to head and foot of spine, prelims lightly foxed, small ownership label to front endpaper. Second Edition. Warminster: Journal Office. (1879) £12.00 --- See sample text
- Devizes Charities RETURN AND DIGEST OF ENDOWED CHARITIES.... PARISHES OF ST. JOHN AND ST. MARY, DEVIZES. Folio, 97pp, stitched as issued, few spots to outer leaves. Ordered by The House of Commons, to be Printed 11 August 1904. £18.00
- Dodsworth (William) AN HISTORICAL ACCOUNT OF THE EPISCOPAL SEE AND CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF SARUM, OR SALISBURY: Comprising Biographical Notices of the Bishops, the History of the Establishment, a Description of the Monuments, &c. With engraved and printed titles, 18 full-page engraved plates, and 2 vignettes, xx + 240pp, small folio, half calf, marbled boards, rubbed to edges, outer hinges partly cracked though sound. Salisbury: Printed by Brodie and Dowding for the author, 1814. £45.00
- Dodsworth (William) AN HISTORICAL ACCOUNT OF THE EPISCOPAL SEE AND CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF SARUM, OR SALISBURY: Comprising Biographical Notices of the Bishops, the History of the Establishment, a Description of the Monuments, &c. With engraved and printed titles, 18 full-page engraved plates, and 2 vignettes, xx + 240pp, small folio, half morocco, cloth boards, raised bands, slightly rubbed to edges, small stamp to front endpaper, front inner hinge cracked though sound, lacks a couple of tissue guards, engraved title-page slightly spotty otherwise a clean copy. Salisbury: Printed by Brodie and Dowding for the author, 1814. £105.00
- Dorling (E.E) A HISTORY OF SALISBURY. Frontis, and full page illusts, x + 193pp, 12mo, original qtr cloth, paper boards. James Nisbet, London: 1911. £15.00
- Duke (Rev. E) THE DRUIDICAL TEMPLES OF THE COUNTY OF WILTS. With a folding map and 2 folding plans, viii + 203 + (2) + 28 pages of publishers adverts, 12mo, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, neatly recased with the old spine laid down, new paper label on spine. London: John Russell Smith. Salisbury: W.B. Brodie. 1846. £78.00
- Easton (J), printer THE SALISBURY GUIDE, Comprising the History and Antiquities of Old Sarum, And the Origin and present State of New Sarum, or Salisbury; the Cathedral, &c. together with a brief description of Fonthill Abbey; Wilton, Stourhead, Longleat, and Amesbury Houses; Wardour and Longford Castles; Tottenham Park and Clarendon Palace, &c. with The going out of the Post, Coaches, and Carriers. A New Edition.... With a frontis, textual illust, 94pp, 12mo, recent wraps, paper label on top wrap. Printed and Sold by J. Easton, Salisbury: 1824. £50.00
- Edwards (Kathleen), editor THE REGISTERS OF ROGER MARTIVAL Bishop of Salisbury 1315-1330. Vol I. The Register of Presentations and Institutions to Benefices. xvi + 430pp, original wraps. Canterbury & York Society. Oxford: 1959. £10.00
- Ellis (Rev. John Henry), editor THE REGISTERS OF STOURTON, County of Wilts, From 1570 to 1800. xii + 94pp, roy 8vo, original cloth. First edition, London: Harleian Society. 1887. £30.00
- Firmager (Gabrielle & Douglas), editors SEMINGTON Past and Present. Illusts, plans, maps, 208pp, original pictorial card covers, inscription on half-title. Semington History Project Group, Bradford on Avon: 2002. £12.00
- Frampton (Matthew) A SERMON PREACHED BEFORE ROBERT LORD BISHOP OF LONDON, AT HIS CONSECRATION. By Virtue of a Common Commission from John Lord Bishop of Sarum, of the Parish Church of Harden-Huish in the Diocese of Sarum and County of Wilts. On Thursday November IV. MDCCLXXIX. viii + 18 + (1)pp, 4to, early plain unlettered marble wraps, very slightly rubbed, a couple of early ink amendments in the text. Bath: Printed by R. Cruttwell (1779) £40.00
- Fry (Claude B) HANNINGTON. The Records of a Wiltshire Parish. Frontis, large folding map, illusts in text, 148pp, roy 8vo, original half parchment, cloth boards, parchment is slightly soiled, and with a few spots. One Hundred Copies Printed. John Bellows, Gloucester: 1935. £125.00
- Fry (Edw. Alex.) ABSTRACTS OF WILTSHIRE INQUISITIONES POST MORTEM, Returned into the Court of Chancery in the Reign of King Henry III, Edward I, and Edward II. A.D. 1242 - 1326. xv + 505pp, untrimmed in early half calf, raised bands, leather label on spine, cloth boards, slightly rubbed, marbled endpapers, ex-lib, with number to base of spine and label to front endpaper, small stamp to title-page. Issued to the Subscribers by the British Record Society, 1908. £28.00
- Fry (George S) and (E.W) ABSTRACTS OF WILTSHIRE INQUISITIONES POST MORTEM, Returned into the Court of Chancery in the Reign of King Charles the First. vii + 501pp, early binders cloth, chipped leather label on spine. London: British Record Society. 1893. £30.00
- Gardiner (Rev. Canon), Presented by RURAL DEANERY OF AVEBURY (CANNINGS PORTION) MEMORIAL TABLETS, Etc., CHURCH PLATE, A.D. 1910. 113pp, recent cloth, some spotting to first few leaves, a few amendments in pencil. c.1911. £18.00
* This provides a detailed listing with descriptions of the holdings in each church. It includes transcripts of memorial plaques and monuments, brief descriptions of parish registers, deeds, and documents, etc.
- Gillman's DEVIZES PUBLIC REGISTER, Business Directory. and Family Almanac for the Year 1878. Twentieth Year of Publication. 132pp, 12mo, numerous adverts, recent cloth with the original wraps bound in. C. Gillman, Printer, Brittox, Devizes: 1878. £25.00
- Gillman's GILLMAN'S DEVIZES PUBLIC REGISTER and Business Directory, for 1882. Twenty-Fourth Year of Publication. 140 + (2)pp, includes numerous adverts, 12mo, original printed wraps, short tear to rear wrap, small portion torn from outer margin of top wrap, wraps spotty, spine darkened. G. Gillman, Devizes. 1882. £18.00
- Gillman's GILLMAN'S DEVIZES PUBLIC REGISTER and Business Directory, for 1889. Thirty-First Year of Publication. 187 + (1)pp, includes numerous adverts, 12mo, original printed wraps, ex-lib., with stamp to top wrap, spine darkened and foot slightly chipped,top hinge partly split. G. Gillman, Devizes. 1889. £18.00
- Gillman's GILLMAN'S DEVIZES PUBLIC REGISTER and Business Directory, for 1892. Thirty-Fourth Year of Publication. 80 + (34) + (66) pages of adverts, 12mo, original printed wraps, spine slightly darkened, ex-lib., with stamp to top wrap, lacks rear wrap. G. Gillman, Devizes: 1892. £15.00
- Gillman's GILLMAN'S DEVIZES PUBLIC REGISTER and Business Directory, for 1897. Thirty-Ninth Year of Publication. 189pp, includes numerous adverts, 12mo, portion torn from first advert leaf, lacks wraps. G. Gillman, Devizes: 1896. £12.00
- Gillman's GILLMAN'S DEVIZES PUBLIC REGISTER and Business Directory, for 1898. Fortieth Year of Publication. 188pp, includes numerous adverts, 12mo, lacks wraps, portion missing from top margin of first advert leaf. G. Gillman, Devizes. 1898. £12.00
- Goldney (Frederick Hastings) RECORDS OF CHIPPENHAM Relating to the Borough From its Incorporation by Queen Mary, 1554.... Comprising Extracts From The Minute Books and Registers of Accounts &c., &c.... xxviii + 348pp, 4to, original cloth, professionally recased. For Presentation Only. Diprose, Bateman, London: 1889. £30.00 --- See sample text
- Goodrich (Rev. P.J) TROWBRIDGE AND ITS TIMES, A Tribute. With 24 plates, ix + 217pp, original cloth, spine faded, page edges browned, some foxing to prelims, name to front endpaper. First edition, London: Sir Isaac Pitman & Sons Ltd. 1932. £12.00
- Grose (F) WILTSHIRE section from the Antiquities of England & Wales. With 6 engraved plates, lacks map, pages numbered 29-44, complete, roy 8vo, disbound, occasional light spotting. 179-. £9.00 --- See sample text
- Haskins (Charles) THE ANCIENT TRADE GUILDS AND COMPANIES OF SALISBURY. With an Introduction by Rev. Canon Chr. Wordsworth, M.A. With Thirty-Two Illustrations. xxxvi + 423pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, few minor marks to cloth, signs where bookplate removed from front pastedown. Salisbury: Bennett Brothers. 1912. £65.00
- Haskins (Charles) THE SALISBURY CORPORATION PICTURES AND PLATE. With 10 plates, xxii + 227 + (11)pp, original cloth, includes a 10 page list of subscribers. Salisbury: Bennett Brothers. 1910. £8.00
- [Hatcher (Henry)] AN HISTORICAL AND DESCRIPTIVE ACCOUNT OF OLD AND NEW SARUM, OR SALISBURY. Vignette title, iii + 169pp, early half calf, raised bands, spine gilt tooled, portion missing from lettering piece on spine, marbled boards, occasional light foxing. Printed and Published by Clapperton, Catherine-street, Salisbury: 1834. £75.00
- Heytesbury Hospital SCHEME FOR THE MANAGEMENT AND REGULATION OF HEYTESBURY HOSPITAL, and the Application of the Income Thereof, Approved by Order of the High Court of Justice, Chancery Division. Dated the 15th April, 1880. 20pp, original cloth covers, with original paper label on top board, front inner hinge broken. London: Roworth and Sons, 1880. £15.00
- Hoare (Sir Richard Colt), Harris (Richard), and Wansey (Henry) THE HISTORY OF MODERN WILTSHIRE. Hundred of WESTBURY. Hundred of WARMINSTER. 2 volumes bound in one, with separate title-pages and individually paginated. With a coloured map showing Hundreds of Westbury and Warminster. Westbury:- 3 engraved plates, textual plans, and engravings, in the text, 92pp; Warminster:- 3 engraved plates, textual plans, x + 133pp, folio, early half calf, marbled boards, rubbed, lacks much of spine, top board held by strings, front endpaper creased with short tears crudely repaired with cellotape, plates partly waterstained. London: Printed by and for John Nichols and Son, 1830, and 1831. £130.00
- Hudson (Stan) A HILL TOP TOWN. Fact and Legend. Map and 6 plates, 156pp, original cloth. Reprinted Stan Hudson, Malmesbury: 1978. £8.00
* A history of Malmesbury.
- [Ingram (Rev. James)] MEMORIALS OF THE PARISH OF CODFORD ST. MARY, in the County of Wilts; containing Particulars of the Church. With frontis and 6 plates, 2 of which are mounted and with cut down margins, iv + 50pp, later cloth, ex-lib., with label to front endpaper, small stamp to title, and number to foot of spine. Oxford: Printed by T. Combe for the Author. 1844. £26.00
- Jackson (Rev. J.E) MALMESBURY. Five plates including one of which is folding, sm 4to, 39pp, original wraps, spine worn, tear to top wrap repaired to verso, covers spotty, occasional light foxing. H. Bull, Devizes: 1863. £38.00
- Jackson (Rev. J.E) THE HISTORY OF THE PARISH OF GRITTLETON, in the County of Wilts. With a map, 3 tinted lithographic plates, and textual engravings, 26pp + 66pp, 4to, original cloth, corners bruised, outer hinges partly split, few marks to covers. Tipped in at the front is a single sheet:- REPORT OF THE COUNCIL TO THE ANNUAL MEETING, JUNE 3, 1843. First edition. Published by the Wiltshire Topographical Society. Printed by J.B. Nichols, London: 1843. £65.00
- [Jefferies (Richard)] THE GAMEKEEPER AT HOME. Sketches of Natural History and Rural Life. vi + 216pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges. Third Edition, London: Smith Elder & Co., 1879. £8.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF WILTSHIRE 1935. Lacks map, 31 (adverts) + xx + 437pp, original cloth, spine faded, rubbed to edges, short tear to front endpaper. London: Kelly's Directories Ltd, 1935. £30.00
- Lear (Francis) A SERMON Preached in The Parish Church, Warminster, at the Anniversary Meeting of the Wilts Friendly Society, Thursday, April 11th, 1844. Pamphlet, disbound, 16pp. Warminster: R.E. Vardy. 1844. £10.00
- Malden (A.R) THE CANONIZATION OF SAINT OSMUND From the Manuscript Records in the Muniment Room of Salisbury Cathedral. Edited with an Introduction Notes and Appendices. Plate, 267pp, original cloth, ex-lib., with number to foot of spine, labels to front endpapers, stamp to verso of title, front inner hinge slightly weak. Salisbury: Bennett Brothers. 1901. £18.00
- Marlborough Burgesses 1869-70. THE BURGESS ROLL of the Borough of Marlborough, in the County of Wilts. 13 pages printed on rectos only, original printed wraps partly faded, spine partly split. Marlborough: Emberlin, Printer, High Street. (1870) £10.00
* Not in Goddard's Wiltshire Bibliography. Gives the names and addresses of the Burgesses.
- Marlborough College REPORT OF THE MARLBOROUGH COLLEGE NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY For the Year ending Christmas, 1930, No 79, 80, 83 and 84, 1935. Illusts, 133 + 81 + 126 + 93pp, 4 numbers in binders cloth. Loosely inserted is a letter to a Mr Grose from the society, 2 sides of 8vo sheet. Cambridge University Press, 1931 - 1936. £14.00
- Marlborough College REPORT OF THE MARLBOROUGH COLLEGE NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY Nos 42, 43, 44, and 45. For the Years ending Christmas, 1893-1896. Illusts, each issues has approx 140 pages, few marks to early binders cloth. Marlborough: Printed by Chas. Perkins, 1893-1896. £20.00
* At the end of each issue is a table with names of boys, age, weight, height, chest size, etc.
- Marsh (A.E.W) HISTORY OF THE BOROUGH AND TOWN OF CALNE and Some Account of the Villages in its Vicinity. Illustrated by Mary F. May, etc. and from Photographs. With folding plan and folding map, illusts, xxvi + 388pp, contemporary half calf, cloth boards, marbled endpapers, covers lightly rubbed to edges, boards slightly faded, Numbered Limited Subscriber's Edition of 100 Copies. Calne: Robert S. Heath. London: Castle, Lamb, Storr, Preface dated 1903. £75.00
- Marshall (George W), editor THE VISITATION OF WILTSHIRE 1623. Frontis, iv + 109pp, small folio, original cloth, very slightly shaken. London: George Bell, 1882. £40.00
* With the engraved armorial bookplate of Stodart.
- Martin (Benjamin) THE NATURAL HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Bound with.... THE NATURAL HISTORY OF HAMPSHIRE. The Wiltshire section has an engraved folding map by Bowen and one other plate, and pages numbered 89-107, complete. The Hampshire section has an engraved folding map by Bowen, and pages numbered 108-133. 2 items continuously paginated, the last page of Hampshire is missing and is provided loose as photocopy, disbound. London: Printed and Sold by W. Owen. 1759. £55.00
* Extracted from his work entitled "The Natural History of England.... "
- Maslen (Kate) THE LIFE OF FRANCIS FREEMAN of Marlborough. (c1600-1671) Pedigree, 79pp, original cards. Includes an index of people and places. c.1994. £10.00
- Melksham PARTICULARS AND CONDITIONS OF SALE of.... The Whitley Estate in the Parish of Melksham.... Bells & Splatt's Farms & Other Lands in the Parish of Heddington, The Chilvester Hill Estate, in the Parish of Calne, Field of Nursery Ground.... House, Baker's Shop &c, at Marshfield.... which will be Sold by Auction.... July 13, 1853..... 8pp, folio, folded with docket title, 4 full page lithographed plans, 3 being hand-coloured. 1853. £35.00
WILTSHIRE ANTIQUARIAN BOOKS
Not all of my books are on line.
For a further selection and to receive my latest catalogue please E-mail :- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Moffatt (Rev. J.M) THE HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MALMESBURY, and of its adjacent Abbey.... together with Memoirs of eminent Natives, and other distinguished Characters who were connected with the Town or Abbey: to which is added an Appendix. With a frontis, 2 other plates, a plan, and a folding Table of the Charities, 249 + errata, early half calf, later calf spine, leather label, marbled boards, edges of boards lightly rubbed, frontis, title and table browned and spotty, otherwise clean. Includes 4pp list of subscribers. Tetbury: Printed (for the Editor) by J.G. Goodwyn. 1805. £75.00
- Moore (Rev. Cecil Gurden), editor THE REGISTERS OF BROAD CHALKE, Co. Wilts, From 1538 to 1780. viii + 79pp, roy 8vo, original cloth. Eighty Copies (For Subscribers only). Privately Printed. London: Mitchell and Hughes, 1881. £70.00
- Nightingale (J.E) CHURCH PLATE OF THE COUNTY OF WILTS, Including that part of the County now in the Diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. From returns made by J.E.Nightingale and the Rev. E.H. Goddard. With 33 illusts, 256pp, roy 8vo, original cloth, prelims and fore-edges of text leaves spotty. Salisbury: Printed by Bennett Brothers, Journal Office. 1891. £20.00
- Nightingale (James Edward) MEMORIALS OF WILTON, and Other Papers. Edited, with some Additional Notes, by Edward Kite. With 8 plates, xv + 215pp, untrimmed in the original cloth. (150 copies only, printed for private circulation.) Devizes: George Simpson, Gazette Office, 1906. £65.00
- North (Allan), printer WILTSHIRE and Some Neighbouring Records: Historical, Biographical and Pictorial. "The Wessex Series." Numerous illusts, and over 400 un-numbered pages, 4to, original parchment-backed cloth, small portion torn from head of spine, covers lightly rubbed, and dusty, marbled endpapers, a.e.g., tissue guards. Published only for Subscribers. London: Allan North, c.190- £50.00
* Contains short biographies of most of the important people in the county at the time, usually with photographic portraits, and occasionally with illustrations of their houses.
- North (John) STONEHENGE Neolithic Man and Cosmos. Plates, diagrams, xliv + 609pp, dustwrapper. Harper Collins, London: 1996. £20.00
- Philipps (The Rev. Sir James Erasmus), Vicar of Warminster IN THE HOUSE OF LORDS. On Appeal, from Her Majesty's Court of Appeal (England) Between The Reverend Sir James Erasmus Phillips and Another, Appellants and John Edmund Halliday, Respondent. (i) Case For the Appeal. (ii) Case of the Appellants. (iii) Appendix. 3 volumes:- (i) 27pp, roy 8vo, lacks wraps, top leaf dusty and lacks small portion lower corner, lacks portion of last leaf which was blank, except for imprint. (ii) 29pp, roy 8vo, stitched as issued. (iii) With 2 partial plans of the church, 221pp, qtr cloth, original printed wraps, a couple of leaves have the fore-edge margins creased and a few tears repaired to verso, few small portions missing from fore-edge of lower wrap. Waterlow and Sons and Perry, Gardiner & Co., printers, London: 1888. £55.00
* This case involved the pulling down a Pew to which the Respondent claims to be entitled in the Parish Church of Warminster. Philipps was the vicar of Warminster from 1859 until 1888. During this period he was a benefactor to the town and founded the Warminster Memorial Hospital.
- Phillimore's Parish Register Series THE MARRIAGE REGISTERS OF HEYTESBURY. 1654 to 1837. Pages numbered 97 to 124, original cloth with paper label on top board. Phillimore. (1910) £10.00
- Phillimore's Parish Register Series THE MARRIAGE REGISTERS OF WEST KNOYLE. 1719 to 1837. Pages numbered 145 to 149, complete, original cloth with paper label on top board. Phillimore. (1910) £8.00
- Phillimore's Parish Register Series THE MARRIAGE REGISTERS OF ST. PETER'S MARLBOROUGH. 1611 to 1812. 64pp, original cloth with paper label on top board. Phillimore. (1906) £10.00
- Phillips (Sir Thomas) INSTITUTIONES. CLERICORUM IN COMITATU WILTONAE, ab anno 1297, ad annum 1810. Edente Thoma Phillips, Baronetto. 179-234 and 107pp, lacking all before page 178 in part 1, folio, 2 parts in one, interleaved with blanks, some early ink 'crosses' and 'ticks'. Contemporary half calf, marbled boards, rubbed. . £85.00
I have changed the software for notification of updates to this page.
Please re-register if you registered prior to 25 February :- Automatic notification
- Ross (Christopher) THE CANONS OF SALISBURY A record of the dignatories, prebendaries, and office holders and their place in the Quire of Salisbury Cathedral. vii + 245pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers, name to title-page. Loosely inserted are Addenda and Amendments from 1 January to 31 December 2000, 5pp and Addenda to 20 June 2000, 3pp. Salisbury Cathedral: 2000 £15.00
- Royal Commission of Historical Monuments CHURCHES OF SOUTH-EAST WILTSHIRE. Plates, textual diagrams, 259pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. Her Majesty's Stationery Office, 1987. £8.00
* A definitive study.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments SALISBURY: THE HOUSES OF THE CLOSE. The maps in pocket at rear, illusts, plans, 263pp, original pictorial card covers, crease to top cover, edges of covers slightly rubbed, name to front endpaper. H.M.S.O. 1993. £9.00
- Scrope (G. Poulett) THE COMMON CAUSE of the Landlord, Tenant, and Labourer, and the Common Cure of Their complaint in a Letter to the Agriculturists of the South of England. Folio, 15 + 1 page of publishers adverts, recent unlettered qtr calf, marbled boards. London: James Ridgway, 1830. £25.00
- Shrewton Charities RETURN AND DIGEST OF ENDOWED CHARITIES... PARISH OF SHREWTON. Folio, 13pp, stitched as issued, small stamp to top leaf. Ordered by The House of Commons, to be Printed 11 August 1904. £8.00
- Simmonds (Sarah), editor AVEBURY WORLD HERITAGE SITE Residents' Pack. Containing:- 'Values and Voices' Reflections, scholarly views, anecdotes, and recollections of life in the Avebury World Heritage Site. Numerous black and white and coloured illusts, 102pp.... with.... Nine card leaflets on 4 illustrated pages, from each of the organisations who manage the site. Oblong 8vo, all contained in paper covered card pictorial folder. Avebury World Heritage Site, 2008. £25.00
- Slater's DIRECTORY OF WILTSHIRE 1852-3 62pp, recent unlettered amateur paper wraps. 1852. £16.00
- Smith (Betty) OUR WILTSHIRE VILLAGE. STEEPLE ASHTON. Illustrated by Alan Andrew. Plan, line drawings and coloured plates, 156pp, oblong 8vo, slightly faded dustwrapper. Alan Sutton, Gloucester: 1989. £8.00
- Smith (James) WILTON AND ITS ASSOCIATIONS. With illustrations on wood by W.F. Tiffin, xiv + 222pp, sm 8vo, original cloth, partly faded, contemporary presentation inscription to front endpaper with name of presenter scribbled over. Salisbury: George Brown, and London: J.B. Nicholls, 1851. £18.00 --- See sample text
- Snell (Michael) CLOCKS AND CLOCKMAKERS OF SALISBURY: 600 years of skill and invention, Illusts, xix + 280pp, 4TO, worn dustwrapper, signs where large label removed from front endpaper. Hobnob Press, Salisbury: 1986. £16.00
- Southern Division of Wiltshire THE REGISTER OF PERSONS ENTITLED TO VOTE AT ANY ELECTION OF A MEMBER OR MEMBERS TO SERVE IN PARLIAMENT FOR THE SOUTHERN DIVISION OF THE COUNTY OF WILTS. Between the Thirtieth Day of November, 1860, and the First Day of December 1861. 94 pages printed on one side only, 4to, slightly dusty original printed wraps. Salisbury: Printed by M.B. Bennett, at the Journal Office, Canal, 1860. £85.00
* Arranged in tables listing full names, place of abode, nature of qualification, (i.e. description of property), occupier, and address. Includes the Polling Districts of Downton, Everley, Great Bedwyn, Hindon, Salisbury, Warminster and Westbury.
- Stevens (Edward T) JOTTINGS ON SOME OBJECTS OF INTEREST IN THE STONEHENGE EXCURSION; Thursday, August 24, 1876. Textual illusts, folding plan frontis, xii + 236pp, later binders cloth slightly rubbed to head and foot of spine, one fold of map reinforced to verso. Salisbury: Bennett Brothers, Printers, Journal Office. c.187- £20.00
* The edition of this work usually encountered was published by Brown of Salisbury in 1882 on 181 pages. With the bookplate of John E. Pritchard.
- [Stokes (Ethel)] ABSTRACTS OF WILTSHIRE INQUISITIONES POST MORTEM, Returned into the Court of Chancery in the Reign of King Edward III. A.D. 1327 - 1377. iv + 461pp, in the original 6 parts and in the original wrappers, couple of spines slightly chipped, waterstaining to top margins of two parts, spotting to one top wrap. Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, Devizes: 1909-1914. £8.00
- Stone (E. Herbert) THE STONES OF STONEHENGE. A full description of the Structure and of its Outworks. Illustrated by numerous photographs, diagrams, and plans drawn to scale. xv + 150pp, 4to, original cloth, small hole to top outer hinge, top board partly faded. London: Robert Scott, 1924. £45.00
- Stratford (Joseph) WILTSHIRE AND ITS WORTHIES. Notes Topographical and Biographical. Frontispiece map, xii + 176pp, sq. 8vo, original cloth, a.e.g., edges slightly rubbed, light foxing to prelims, some slight spotting to cloth. Salisbury: Brown and Co. 1882. £20.00
- Swayne (H.J.F) CHURCHWARDENS' ACCOUNTS OF S. EDMUND AND S. THOMAS, SARUM 1443 - 1702. With other documents. Large folding frontis, xl + 403pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, verso of frontis partly browned. Salisbury: Bennett Brothers. 1896. £25.00
- Uffcott PARTICULARS OF VALUABLE SMALL FREEHOLD ESTATE and Accommodation Lands.... for Sale by Auction.... June 6th, 1899. 3pp., folding coloured plan. 1899. £20.00
- Urchfont A PARTICULAR OF THE MANOR OF ERCHFONT (Urchfont)IN THE COUNTY OF WILTS. Taken in May, 1784. 23pp, folio, docket title, ex-lib. with label to front endpaper, couple of small stamps to first leaf, later cloth, number to base of spine, inner margins, fore-edge margins, and a few top margins neatly reinforced with transparent paper. The centre of the last few leaves have a few small holes occasionally affecting a few words of text, where once folded, these have also been reinforced. Some pencil notes to verso of last leaf, light stains to a few leaves. 1784. £105.00
- Victoria County History, edited by R.B. Pugh and Elizabeth Crittall THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 2. Plates and textual illusts, 245pp, small folio, original cloth, university label to front pastedown and signs where 2 small labels removed from front endpaper. First edition, Oxford University Press, 1955. £25.00
* Includes chapters on:- The Wiltshire Domesday; Anglo Saxon Art; Anglo Saxon Wiltshire, etc.
- Victoria County History, edited by R.B. Pugh and Elizabeth Crittall THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 2. Plates and textual illusts, 245pp, small folio, original cloth. Reprinted for the University of London, 1989. £36.00
* Includes chapters on:- The Wiltshire Domesday; Anglo Saxon Art; Anglo Saxon Wiltshire, etc.
- Victoria County History, edited by Elizabeth Crittall A HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 6. Plates and Illusts, xx + 239pp, small folio, some minor soiling, and spotting to the original cloth, private bookplate to front pastedown. First edition. London: Oxford University Press, 1962. £35.00
* Covers the Borough of Wilton, Borough of Salisbury, City of New Salisbury, Hundred of Underditch.
- Victoria County History, edited by Elizabeth Crittall A HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE VOLUME 6. Plates and Illusts, xx + 239pp, small folio, few short tears to dustwrapper, letter 'R' to foot of dustwrapper, ex-institution lib. with stamps to front endpaper and to half-title. First edition. London: Oxford University Press, 1962. £25.00
* Covers the Borough of Wilton, Borough of Salisbury, City of New Salisbury, Hundred of Underditch.
- Victoria County History, edited by Pugh (R.B) and Crittall (Elizabeth) THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 7. Plates and illusts, xix + [ii, corrigenda] + 241pp, small folio, original cloth, ex-BBC library with a stamp to title-page and stamps to front endpaper, label to top cover, otherwise a good copy. First edition. Oxford University Press. 1953. £15.00
* Covers the Hundreds of Bradford, Melksham, Potterne and Cannings.
- Victoria County History, edited by E. Crittall. THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE Volume 7. Plates and illusts, xix + [ii, corrigenda] + 241pp, small folio, original cloth. Reprinted, Dawson for the University of London Institute of Historical Research, 1985. £20.00
* Covers the Hundreds of Bradford, Melksham, Potterne and Cannings.
- Victoria County History. edited by E. Crittall THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 9. Plates and illusts, xx + 220pp, small folio, light wear, 2 short tears and small portion torn from head of dustwrapper, ex-lib with just a stamp to front endpaper, and to page edges at foot. First edition. Oxford University Press: 1970. £20.00
* Covers the Kingsbridge Hundred, includes Swindon and the surrounding area.
- Victoria County History, edited by Elizabeth Crittall. THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE Volume 10. Plates and illusts, xix + 347pp, small folio, original cloth, slightly dusty dustwrapper, couple of short tears to head and foot of spine of dustwrapper, lacks most of front endpaper. First edition, Oxford University Press: 1975. £25.00
* Covers the Swanborough Hundred and the Borough of Devizes.
- Victoria County History. edited by D.A. Crowley THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 11. Plates and illusts, xxix + 284pp, small folio, original cloth, dustwrapper. First edition. Oxford University Press: 1980. £48.00
* Covers Downton Hundred and Elstub and Everleigh Hundred.
- Victoria County History. edited by D.A. Crowley THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 11. Plates and illusts, xxix + 284pp, small folio, original cloth, dustwrapper, ex-Bristol University stamp to foot of prelim and last leaf, small label to front endpaper. First edition. Oxford University Press: 1980. £35.00
* Covers Downton Hundred and Elstub and Everleigh Hundred.
- Victoria County History, edited by D.A. Crowley. VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE Volume 12. Plates and illusts, xx + 257pp, small folio, original cloth, short tear to dustwrapper. First edition, Institute of Historical Research by Oxford University Press, 1983. £40.00
* Covers Ramsbury and Selkley Hundreds and the Borough of Marlborough.
- Victoria County History, edited by D.A. Crowley A HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 14. Plates and illusts, xx + 267pp, small folio, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper. Oxford University Press, 1991. £30.00
* Covers the Malmesbury Hundred.
- Walters (H.B) THE CHURCH BELLS OF WILTSHIRE. Their Inscriptions and History. Part 2 of 3 only. [Calne-Rushall.] Pages numbered 45-165, lacks wraps. Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine, 1928. £5.00
- Ward (Thomas Rawdon) A LETTER ADDRESSED TO THE PROVOST AND FELLOWS OF KING'S COLLEGE, CAMBRIDGE. Relative to the Non-Renewal of Some Copyhold Lands at Ogbourne St. Andrew, Wilts. 16pp, unbound, stitched as issued. Egham: C.C. Wetton, 1844. £18.00
- Watts (Ken) FIGURES IN A WILTSHIRE SCENE Historical studies connected by birth, residence or particular empathy with Wiltshire relating them to the places which they are associated. Illusts, maps, viii +280pp, large 8vo, dustwrapper. Hobnob Press, East Knoyle: 2002. £10.00
* Includes chapters:- William Beckford of Fonthill; Stourhead and the Hoares; Coate and Richard Jefferies; Seymours of Wolf Hall, etc.
- [Waylen (J)] A HISTORY MILITARY AND MUNICIPAL OF THE ANCIENT BOROUGH OF THE DEVIZES; and, subordinately, of the entire Hundred of Potterne and Cannings, in which it is included. With full page engraved plates and textual illusts, 602pp, original cloth, neatly recased, retaining the original endpapers, plates spotty mainly to margins. London: Longman, Brown and Devizes: Henry Bull, 1859. £100.00
* With the engraved armorial bookplate of James Comerford.
- Waylen (James) A HISTORY MILITARY AND MUNICIPAL OF THE TOWN (otherwise called the City) OF MARLBOROUGH; and more Generally of the Entire Hundred of Selkley. viii + 570 + [xx]pp of publishers adverts, original embossed cloth, recased retaining the original endpapers. London: John Russell Smith. 1854. £85.00
- Waylen (James) CHRONICLES OF THE DEVIZES, Being a History of the Castle, Parks and Borough of that Name; With Notices Statistical, Parliamentary, Ecclesiastical, and Biographical. Frontis, 362pp, contemporary cloth, recased retaining original endpapers and with the old spine laid down, paper label on spine slightly darkened and chipped, occasional slight spotting. First edition, London: Printed for the Author, 1839. £70.00
- Wheeler (W.A) SARUM CHRONOLOGY. A Brief Record of the Most Salient Events in the History of Salisbury. 80pp, sm 8vo, few small spots to the original cloth. Reprinted from the Salisbury and Winchester Journal. Salisbury: 1889. £20.00
- Wiltshire Parish Registers, edited by W.P.W. Phillimore and John Sadler. WILTSHIRE PARISH REGISTERS. MARRIAGES. Volume 12. vi + [ii] + 147pp, original cloth. LIMITED TO 150 COPIES. London: Phillimore & Co Ltd. 1912. £20.00
* With the armorial bookplate of William Gundry. Marriages celebrated in each Parish from the first entry up to the year 1812. Contains the Parishes of Bratton, Fuggleston with Bemerton, Boyton, Sherrington, Latton, Collingbourne Ducis.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazines.
A selection of volumes currently in stock.
- Wiltshire Family History Society THE BISHOP'S TRANSCRIPTS AND PARISH REGISTERS OF NORTH BRADLEY. BAPTISMS Part 2. 1767-1837. 68pp, small folio, original printed wraps, clip-on plastic spine, few pages slightly creased. Wiltshire Family History Society, 1990. £8.00
Wiltshire Record Society.
A selection of volumes currently in stock.
- Winterslow Estate PARTICULARS Plan and Conditions of Sale of a Freehold Agricultural and Sporting Property known as The Winterslow Estate... comprising Agricultural Holdings known as Livery Farm and Broads Farm... 14 Cottages.... for sale by auction.. 23rd June, 1903. 8pp., folio, decorative wraps, large folding plan. Traces of vertical and horizontal folds. 1903. £18.00
- Woodborough PARTICULARS, PLAN & CONDITIONS OF SALE of the Freehold Residential Property known as 'Banksyde'.... for Sale by Auction.... 18th day of October, 1945. 12pp., oblong large 8vo, small plan. Attractive drawing of house and garden on front wrap. 1945. £14.00
Back to the TopCopyright © Ambra Books - 2023. All rights reserved.
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :-
Tel:- ( 0117 ) 9076899
E-mail :- email@example.com
Bristol -- Cornwall -- Devon -- Dorset -- Gloucestershire -- Somerset --
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine
Wiltshire Record Society
General ( Includes items of WILTSHIRE interest. )
WILTSHIRE :- Selection of items I wish to purchase
WILTSHIRE :- Selection of manuscripts, maps, ephemera etc. for sale from Lesley Aitchison.
AMBRA BOOKS Home page