WILTSHIRE - History, Topography and Genealogy
Antiquarian and Secondhand Books
This is a selection from my stock.
Please let me know if there are any other titles you are looking for.
Click on:- ORDERING details
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :- ( 0117 ) 9076899
Postage, packing and insurance are extra.
When ordering from this list please note item No., Author, and Title.
Payment can be made by either sterling cheque, or by bank transfer.
Prices are nett.
Click to go to:- WILTSHIRE Clearance List
- Akerman (John Yonge) SOME ACCOUNT OF THE ABBEY OF MALMESBURY in the Days of the Anglo-Saxon Kings; With Remarks on the Ancient Limits of The Forest of Braden. Large folding map mounted on linen, 59pp, 4to, lacks wraps, title slightly dusty and ragged with a few short tears, linen slightly discoloured, occasional light foxing. Reprinted from Archaeologia. London: J.B. Nichols and Sons. 1857. £28.00
- Annable (F.K) and Simpson (D.D.A) GUIDE CATALOGUE OF THE NEOLITHIC AND BRONZE AGE COLLECTIONS IN DEVIZES MUSEUM. With a foreword by Professor Stuart Piggott. Plates, textual illusts, 133pp, roy 8vo, original cloth. Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, Devizes: 1964. £16.00
- Aubrey (John) AUBREY'S NATURAL HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. A Reprint. Introduced by K.G. Ponting. (ix) + xii + 132pp, roy 8vo, couple of cellotape repairs to slightly rubbed dustwrapper, which is now protected with a transparent cover. Originally published 1847. David and Charles Reprints. 1969. £28.00
- Baker (T.H) NOTES ON THE HISTORY OF MERE. Plates, 114pp,.... Bound with.... Ponting (C.E) THE PARISH CHURCH OF S. MICHAEL, MERE. 54 + (1)pp. Two items bound in one, early half calf, cloth boards, spine slightly rubbed. C.H. Woodward, Devizes: c.1897. £30.00
* Reprinted from Wiltshire Archaeological & Natural History Magazine.
- Bennion (John), Vicar of Malmesbury MOSES'S CHARGE TO ISRAEL'S JUDGES, OPENED IN AN ASSIZE SERMON Preached at Salisbury, Feb. 27. 1680. Before the Right Honourable Sr Thomas Jones Judge of Assise. Published by Command of Mr. High Sherif. Title + (iv) + 20pp, disbound, title and last leaf slightly dusty with small ink stain on title. Printed at Oxford and are to be sold by Francis Dollif, Bookseller near the Mare-maid Tavern, 1681. £35.00
- Bird (James T) THE HISTORY OF THE TOWN MALMESBURY and of its Ancient Abbey, (The remains of which Edifice are still used as a Parish Church;) Together with Memoirs of Eminent Natives Who were connected with the Abbey or Town. (Embellished with Engravings.) Revised by J.E. Jackson and Mackenzie E.C. Walcot.... With map, plan and 6 plates, 278pp + errata leaf, half calf, marbled boards, rubbed to head of spine, endpapers spotty, otherwise clean. Malmesbury: Printed and Published by the Author. 1876. £50.00
- Bodman (James) A CONCISE HISTORY OF TROWBRIDGE, Containing An Account of The Court, Castle, & Watch, the Church, Monuments, &c. xi + 40 + (6)pp, includes a 2 page list of subscribers, unique copy interleaved with 6 blanks onto which are pasted engraved vignette views, 1 other engraving loosely inserted, the subscribers list has been reinforced to margins, and is slightly soiled to one side, title-page has been laid down, small ink spots to one leaf, early half calf, marbled endpapers. Bristol: Printed for the Author, by Philip Rose, 20, Broadmead. 1814. £245.00
* The Subscribers List calls for 94 copies only.
- Bowles (Rev. W.L) and Nichols (J.G) ANNALS AND ANTIQUITIES OF LACOCK ABBEY, in the County of Wilts.... Including Notices of the Monasteries of Bradenstoke, Hinton and Farley. With 14 plates, and 2 plates, not called for, which have been tipped in, and 5 pedigrees 2 of which are folding, 374 + lxiii, occasional foxing to fore-edges, original cloth, paper label on spine, front inner hinge cracked. First Edition, London: John Bowyer Nichols and Son, 1835. £165.00
* With the armorial bookplate of Rev. F. Bickley Astley.
- Bowles (Rev. W.L) HERMES BRITANNICUS A Dissertation on the Celtic Deity Teutates.... in further proof and corroboration of the Origin and Designation of the GREAT TEMPLE AT ABURY, in Wiltshire. Textual illusts, 149 + 1pp (advert), untrimmed in early qtr cloth, paper boards, lacks label on spine, spine slightly rubbed to edges, with a couple of short splits, small portion chipped from foot. One of only 250 copies printed. First edition, London: Printed by and for J.B. Nichols, 1828. £200.00
- Bracey (H.E) SOCIAL PROVISION IN RURAL WILTSHIRE. Frontis, tables, maps, 2 of which are coloured, diagrams, 204pp, dustwrapper. Methuen and Co., 1952. £22.00
- Bradley (A.G), Champneys (A.C) and Baines (J.W) A HISTORY OF MARLBOROUGH COLLEGE Now revised and continued by J.R. Taylor, H.C. Brentnall and G.C. Turner. Map endpapers, 18 plates, x + [ii] + 331pp, few small marks to the original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, occasional light foxing. London: John Murray, 1923. £10.00
* This is the second enlarged edition.
- [Britton (J)] THE BEAUTIES OF WILTSHIRE, Displayed in Statistical, Historical, and Descriptive Sketches: interspersed with Anecdotes of the Arts. With engraved and printed titles, engraved plates, 3 volumes, volume 1 has 6 plates and vignette view, xxxi + 312pp, volume 2 has 8 plates and vignette view, 311pp, and volume 3 has Map, 14 plates, lxi + (iii) + 442pp, early half calf, marbled boards, gilt lines and morocco labels to spines, occasional spotting mainly to margins of plates. London: Printed by J.D. Dewick, 1801 & London: Printed for the Author, 1825. £225.00
- Britton (John) THE BEAUTIES OF ENGLAND AND WALES: or, Original Delineations, Topographical, Historical and Descriptive.... WILTSHIRE and WARWICKSHIRE sections. Forming volume 15, part 2. With 16 engraved plates for each county, 718 + (24)pp + 322 + (20)pp, occasional light foxing, early marbled boards, with crude tape covering spine. London: J. Harris, Longman and Co. 1814. £65.00
- Calne REPORT ON THE BOROUGH OF CALNE, (Wiltshire.) Title and pages numbered 1230-1234, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound. House of Commons, London: 1835. £15.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Camden (William) and Cary (John) WILTSHIRE. With a folding map, coloured in outline, published by John Stockdale, and engraved by J. Cary, plus the text extracted from Camden's Britannia, and enlarged by Richard Gough, 5 plates and one textual illust. Folio, pages numbered 129-164, recent unlettered cloth. 1805. £145.00
- Cave (R), and others GEOLOGY OF THE MALMESBURY DISTRICT. (Explanation of the One-inch Geological Sheet 251, New Series) Coloured folding map, folding table, plates, diagrams, viii + 343pp, dustwrapper protected in a loose transparent sleeve. First edition, London: H.M.S.O. 1977. £20.00
- Chandler (John) MARLBOROUGH AND EASTERN WILTSHIRE. Wiltshire A History of its Landscape and People 1. Maps, illusts, xiii + 274pp, dustwrapper. Hobnob Press, Salisbury: 2001. £20.00
- Charity Commissioners FURTHER REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONERS.... Concerning Charities. County of WILTSHIRE section. Pages numbered 301-438, folio, early half roan, cloth boards, rubbed to edges, leather label on top board, some spotting to prelims. Bound in at the rear are several blanks and 4 leaves, hand-written on rectos concerning Somerset Hospital and Revd. Charles Mayo's Trust Deed. Ordered by the House of Commons to be Printed, 13 August 1834. £30.00
* Extracted from the blue papers. Covers:- Hundreds of Chippenham; Hundred of North Damerham; Hundred of Elstub and Everley; Hundred of Kinwardstone; Hundred of Melksham; Hundred of Potterne and Cannings; Hundred of Swanborough; Hundred of Warminster; and General Charities.
- Charity Commissioners FURTHER REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONERS.... CONCERNING CHARITIES. County of WILTSHIRE sections. Pages numbered 447-805 + 301-438 + 1207-1434 + 1-106 (index) + 365-446 + 9pp (index), folio, early cloth, rear hinge partly split, top board held by strings. Ordered by the House of Commons to be Printed, various dates c.1820 and c.1830. £100.00
- Clark (Geo. T) REPORT OF THE GENERAL BOARD OF HEALTH ON A PRELIMINARY INQUIRY into the Sewerage, Drainage, and Supply of Water, and the Sanitary Conditions of the Inhabitants of the Municipal Borough of Calne, in the County of Wilts. 20pp, stitched as issued, title and last leaf dusty, few short tears to tile and last leaf, some pencil marginalia, signs where once folded. London: W. Clowes & Sons, 1850. £45.00
- Clark (Leonard) ALFRED WILLIAMS HIS LIFE AND WORK. Illusts, xi + 206pp, few small spots to original cloth, small ownership label to front endpaper, relevant news cutting pasted to front endpaper. First edition, Bristol: William George & Sons Ltd. 1945. £22.00
- Cox (T) WILTSHIRE. Extracted from Magna Britannia. With folding map by Morden, textual illust of Stonehenge, pages numbered 47-215 + Distance Table, sm 4to, early qtr roan, marbled boards, slightly rubbed, with a later printed title-page. In the Savoy, London: E. and R. Nutt, (1720) £90.00
* Includes sections on the Hundreds, Natural History, etc.
- Cresswell (Thomas Estcourt) A NARRATIVE OF THE AFFAIR BETWEEN MR. CRESSWELL, AND MISS SC--E, Addressed to G--V--E SC---E, Esq. By which may be discover'd the Falsities, Misrepresentations, &c, In a LETTER in the General Evening-Post, October 31; Signed Lancelot Lee.... Bound with.... MISS SCROPE'S ANSWER TO MR. CRESSWELL'S NARRATIVE. Two volumes bound in one, iv + 78pp, and 232pp, signed and numbered 'Eliz Scrope. No 1244,' on the last leaf, full early calf, raised bands, rubbed, top board held by strings. Printed for Charles Green, in Avemary-lane, London: (1747) and Printed for R. Baldwin, jun. in Pater-Naster-Row, 1749. £300.00
* Gervase Scrope was the father of Elizabeth Scrope. He had accused Cresswell of several things including bigamy. Scrope was eventually proved right as Cresswell had married a wealthy heiress, Miss Anne Warneford, grand-daughter of Sir Edmund Warneford of Sevenhampton and Bibury, Gloucestershire, a few years after his marriage to Elizabeth. Cresswell was elected Member of Parliament for Wootton Bassett from 1754 to 1774. He died at Pinkney Park in 1788.
- Cunnington (B. Howard) SOME ANNALS OF THE BOROUGH OF DEVIZES. (Volume II) Being a Series of Extracts from the Corporation Records, 1791 to 1835. 292pp, original cloth, spine worn and with half almost loose. Devizes: George Simpson, 1926. £20.00.
* The first volume covered the period 1555 to 1791.
- Cunnington (B. Howard) SOME ANNALS OF THE BOROUGH OF DEVIZES. Being a Series of Extracts from the Corporation Records, 1555 to 1791. With 3 plates. xx + 247pp, original cloth. Devizes: George Simpson, 1925. £35.00.
* A second volume was issued in 1926 for the period 1791 to 1835.
- Cunnington (William), and Godard (Rev. E.H), compiled by CATALOGUE OF ANTIQUITIES IN THE MUSEUM of the Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society at Devizes. Part I. The Stourhead Collection. Numerous textual illusts, 96pp, original printed wraps. Published by the Society at the Museum, Devizes: 1896. £18.00
- Daniell (J.J) THE HISTORY OF WARMINSTER. With a view of the Town & Neighbourhood in 1879. Illusts., xi + 237pp, original printed wraps, partly faded, and slightly rubbed to head and foot of spine, prelims lightly foxed. Second Edition. Warminster: Journal Office. (1879) £20.00 --- See sample text
- [Davis (James)] ORIGINES DIVISIANAE. Or the Antiquities of the Devizes: In some Familiar Letters to a Friend. Wrote in the Years 1750 and 1751. 90pp, nineteenth century half calf, paper boards, covers rubbed at edges, title-page and last leaf slightly dusty, title has a few small holes, not affecting text, and was torn but now laid down, last leaf has a ragged fore-edge margin, and top margin reinforced to verso. London: Printed and Sold by J. Flint, at the Turk's Head..... 1754. £145.00
* This work was a satire on the works of Stukeley and others. Davis was a physician in Devizes who died a year after the work's publication. With the engraved armorial bookplate of Joseph Neeld.
- Davis (Thomas) GENERAL VIEW OF THE AGRICULTURE OF THE COUNTY OF WILTSHIRE. Drawn up for the Board of Agriculture and Internal Improvement. Portrait frontis, coloured folding map, plate of a ram, xix + 268 + (2)pp, early half calf, marbled boards, and endpapers, raised bands, gilt lines, morocco label on spine, plates slightly spotty, contemporary ownership inscription to title-page. Second edition, London: Sherwood, Neely, and Jones. 1813. £110.00
- Davis (Thomas) GENERAL VIEW OF THE AGRICULTURE OF THE COUNTY OF WILTSHIRE. Drawn up for the Board of Agriculture and Internal Improvement. Portrait frontis, coloured folding map, lacks the plate of the ram, xix + 268 + (10)pp, recent cloth, some off-setting, occasional light foxing, ownership label to front endpaper. Second edition, London: Sherwood, Neely, and Jones. 1813. £60.00
- Devizes Charities RETURN AND DIGEST OF ENDOWED CHARITIES.... PARISHES OF ST. JOHN AND ST. MARY, DEVIZES. Folio, 97pp, stitched as issued, few spots to outer leaves. Ordered by The House of Commons, to be Printed 11 August 1904. £18.00
- Dodsworth (William) AN HISTORICAL ACCOUNT OF THE EPISCOPAL SEE AND CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF SARUM, OR SALISBURY: Comprising Biographical Notices of the Bishops, the History of the Establishment, a Description of the Monuments, &c. With engraved and printed titles, 18 full-page engraved plates, and 2 vignettes, xx + 240pp, small folio, half morocco, cloth boards, raised bands, slightly rubbed to edges, small stamp to front endpaper, front inner hinge cracked though sound, lacks a couple of tissue guards, engraved title-page slightly spotty otherwise a clean copy. Salisbury: Printed by Brodie and Dowding for the author, 1814. £125.00
- Domesday Book, edited by Caroline and Frank Thorn WILTSHIRE Maps, dustwrapper. Phillimore, Chichester: 1979. £11.00
- Edwards (Kathleen), editor THE REGISTERS OF ROGER MARTIVAL Bishop of Salisbury 1315-1330. Vol I. The Register of Presentations and Institutions to Benefices. xvi + 430pp, original wraps. Canterbury & York Society. Oxford: 1959. £15.00
- Ellis (Rev. John Henry), editor THE REGISTERS OF STOURTON, County of Wilts, From 1570 to 1800. xii + 94pp, roy 8vo, original cloth. London: Harleian Society. 1887. £40.00
- Estridge (Mr. A.W.), Civil Engineer REPORT ON THE DRAINAGE OF CALNE, In the County of Wilts. 9pp, small folio, original printed wraps, wraps slightly dusty and with short tear, lower corner of top wrap slightly stained, internally sound. Printed by Order of the Calne Local Board of Health, 1875. £18.00
- Firmager (Gabrielle & Douglas), editors SEMINGTON Past and Present. Illusts, plans, maps, 208pp, original pictorial card covers, inscription on half-title. Semington History Project Group, Bradford on Avon: 2002. £15.00
- Fry (Edw. Alex.) ABSTRACTS OF WILTSHIRE INQUISITIONES POST MORTEM, Returned into the Court of Chancery in the Reign of King Henry III, Edward I, and Edward II. A.D. 1242 - 1326. xv + 505pp, untrimmed in early half calf, raised bands, leather label on spine, cloth boards, slightly rubbed, marbled endpapers, ex-lib, with number to base of spine and label to front endpaper, small stamp to title-page. Issued to the Subscribers by the British Record Society, 1908. £28.00
- Gardiner (Rev. Canon), Presented by RURAL DEANERY OF AVEBURY (CANNINGS PORTION) INVENTORIES, TERRIERS, MEMORIAL TABLETS, Etc., CHURCH PLATE AND BELLS, A.D. 1910. Presented by Rev. Canon Gardiner, B.D., Rural Dean, 1906 to 1918 to the Parish of ? (Not completed). 13 + 15 + 12 + 1-4 & 21-24 (Bishops Canning's) + 11 + 11 + 8 + 10 + 12 + 9 + 16 + 3 + 10 + 12 + 127pp recent half calf, raised bands, leather label, marbled boards and endpapers. Lacks pages 5-20 of the Bishop's Cannings section. c.1919. £65.00
* This provides a detailed listing with descriptions of the holdings in each church. It includes transcripts of memorial plaques and monuments, brief descriptions of parish registers, deeds, and documents, etc. Also gives details of Endowments, Outgoings, Charities, Day Schools, and other administrative information. Printed at the foot of the title-page 'To be kept with the Parish Register as part of the Benefice Record Book of the Parish.'
- Gillman's GILLMAN'S DEVIZES PUBLIC REGISTER and Business Directory, for 1882. Twenty-Fourth Year of Publication. 140 + (2)pp, includes numerous adverts, 12mo, original printed wraps, short tear to rear wrap, small portion torn from outer margin of top wrap, wraps spotty, spine darkened. G. Gillman, Devizes. 1882. £20.00
- Gillman's GILLMAN'S DEVIZES PUBLIC REGISTER and Business Directory, for 1884. Twenty-Sixth Year of Publication. 154 + (3)pp, includes numerous adverts, 12mo, original printed wraps, ex-lib., with stamp to top wrap, rear wrap loose and very ragged. G. Gillman, Devizes. 1884. £16.00
- Gillman's GILLMAN'S DEVIZES PUBLIC REGISTER and Business Directory, for 1889. Thirty-First Year of Publication. 187 + (1)pp, includes numerous adverts, 12mo, original printed wraps, ex-lib., with stamp to top wrap, spine darkened and foot slightly chipped,top hinge partly split. G. Gillman, Devizes. 1889. £20.00
- Gillman's GILLMAN'S DEVIZES PUBLIC REGISTER and Business Directory, for 1891. Thirty-Third Year of Publication. 75 + (34) + (72) pages of adverts, 12mo, original printed wraps, spine slightly darkened, lacks portions from head and foot of spine, ex-lib., with stamp to top wrap. G. Gillman, Devizes: 1891. £20.00
- Gillman's GILLMAN'S DEVIZES PUBLIC REGISTER and Business Directory, for 1892. Thirty-Fourth Year of Publication. 80 + (34) + (66) pages of adverts, 12mo, original printed wraps, spine slightly darkened, ex-lib., with stamp to top wrap, rear wrap loose few a few tears. G. Gillman, Devizes: 1892. £18.00
- Goldney (Frederick Hastings) RECORDS OF CHIPPENHAM Relating to the Borough From its Incorporation by Queen Mary, 1554.... Comprising Extracts From The Minute Books and Registers of Accounts &c., &c.... xxviii + 348pp, 4to, original cloth, inner hinges neatly strengthened. For Presentation Only. Diprose, Bateman, London: 1889. £35.00 --- See sample text
- Goodrich (Rev. P.J) TROWBRIDGE AND ITS TIMES, A Tribute. With 24 plates, ix + 217pp, original cloth, spine faded, page edges browned, some foxing to prelims, name to front endpaper. First edition, London: Sir Isaac Pitman & Sons Ltd. 1932. £20.00
- Green (Rosemary A.M) A BIBLIOGRAPHY OF THE WORKS RELATING TO WILTSHIRE 1920 - 1960. xxii + 162pp, original cloth. Trowbridge: Wiltshire County Council, 1975. £16.00
- Grose (F) WILTSHIRE section from the Antiquities of England & Wales. With 6 engraved plates and 16pp, lacks map, roy 8vo, disbound, occasional light spotting. 179-. £14.00 --- See sample text
- Haskins (Charles) THE ANCIENT TRADE GUILDS AND COMPANIES OF SALISBURY. With an Introduction by Rev. Canon Chr. Wordsworth, M.A. With Thirty-Two Illustrations. xxxvi + 423pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, few minor marks to cloth, signs where bookplate removed from front pastedown. Salisbury: Bennett Brothers. 1912. £75.00
- Haskins (Charles) THE SALISBURY CORPORATION PICTURES AND PLATE. With 10 plates, xxii + 227 + (11)pp, original cloth, includes a 10 page list of subscribers. Salisbury: Bennett Brothers. 1910. £25.00
- Heytesbury Hospital SCHEME FOR THE MANAGEMENT AND REGULATION OF HEYTESBURY HOSPITAL, and the Application of the Income Thereof, Approved by Order of the High Court of Justice, Chancery Division. Dated the 15th April, 1880. 20pp, original cloth covers, with original paper label on top board, front inner hinge broken. London: Roworth and Sons, 1880. £20.00
- Hoare (Sir Richard Colt), Harris (Richard), and Wansey (Henry) THE HISTORY OF MODERN WILTSHIRE. Hundred of WESTBURY. Hundred of WARMINSTER. 2 volumes bound in one, with separate title-pages and individually paginated. With a coloured map showing Hundreds of Westbury and Warminster. Westbury:- 3 engraved plates, textual plans, and engravings, in the text, 92pp; Warminster:- 3 engraved plates, textual plans, x + 133pp, folio, early half calf, marbled boards, rubbed, lacks much of spine, top board held by strings, front endpaper creased with short tears crudely repaired with cellotape, plates partly waterstained. London: Printed by and for John Nichols and Son, 1830, and 1831. £145.00
- Horn (Joyce M), editor THE REGISTER OF ROBERT HALLUM Bishop of Salisbury 1407-17. xviii + 344pp, original wraps. Canterbury & York Society. Torquay: 1982. £18.00
- Hudson (Stan) A HILL TOP TOWN. Fact and Legend. Map and 6 plates, 156pp, original cloth. Reprinted Stan Hudson, Malmesbury: 1978. £12.00
* A history of Malmesbury.
- Huxley (Elizabeth) GALLIPOT EYES. A Wiltshire Diary. xiii + 198pp, inscription on front endpaper, dustwrapper. First edition, Weidenfeld and Nicholson. 1976. £10.00
* Concerns the time that she spent at Oaksey. Signed presentation inscription from the author on the title-page.
- Jackson (Gwynethh F), and others A TALE OF TWO MANORS ZEALS. A Wiltshire Village. Illusts, 207pp, roy 8vo, original decorative card covers. Dickins, Higher Flax Mill, Castle Cary: 1997. £24.00
- Jackson (Rev. J.E) MALMESBURY. Five plates including one of which is folding, sm 4to, 39pp, original wraps, spine worn, tear to top wrap repaired to verso, covers spotty, occasional light foxing. H. Bull, Devizes: 1863. £50.00
- Jackson (Rev. J.E) SWINDON and its Neighbourhood. No. 2. Coloured folding plan, 25pp, slightly dusty original printed wraps, with few splash stains. Reprinted from the Wiltshire Archaeological Magazine. Devizes: 1886. £22.00
* The is the second of 2 pamphlets that Jackson wrote on Swindon. The first was published in 1861.
- Jackson (Rev. J.E) THE HISTORY OF THE PARISH OF GRITTLETON, in the County of Wilts. With a map, 3 tinted lithographic plates, and textual engravings, 26pp + 66pp, 4to, original cloth, corners bruised, outer hinges partly split, few marks to covers. Tipped in at the front is a single sheet:- REPORT OF THE COUNCIL TO THE ANNUAL MEETING, JUNE 3, 1843. First edition. Published by the Wiltshire Topographical Society. Printed by J.B. Nichols, London: 1843. £65.00
- [Jefferies (Richard)] THE GAMEKEEPER AT HOME. Sketches of Natural History and Rural Life. vi + 216pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges. Third Edition, London: Smith Elder & Co., 1879. £20.00
- Jones (Rev. W.H) THE WILTSHIRE POSSESSIONS OF THE ABBESS OF SHAFTESBURY. Pages numbered 3-24pp, text complete, sm 8vo, each leaf tipped onto to folded larger sheets, 4 to a page, portion of top wrap and title-page pasted to top wrap. Reprinted from the Salisbury Journal, Salisbury: 1861. £18.00
- Jones (W.H) Off-prints:- EARLY ANNALS OF TROWBRIDGE; TERUMBER'S CHANTRY OF TROWBRIDGE with a copy of the Original Deed of Endowment: A.D. 1483; LORD CLARENDON AND HIS TROWBRIDGE ANCESTRY; THE MERCHANTS OF THE STAPLE OR THE WOOL TRADE IN ENGLAND IN THE OLDEN TIMES. 4 off-prints, bound in 1 volume. Engraved plate, folding plan and pedigree, 27pp + 13pp + folding pedigree, 9pp, + 23pp, early half calf, raised bands, marbled endpapers. Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, 1866 and 1875. £40.00
- Jones (W.H. Rich), editor VETUS REGISTRUM SARISBERIENSE Alias Dictum Registrum S. Osmundi Episcopi. THE REGISTER OF S. OSMUND. Volume 1 of 2. With folding plan, frontispieces, xxxix + 393pp, later, amateur?, half parchment, cloth boards, page edges slightly browned, couple of ex-ref. lib. stamps to prelims. London: Longman & Co., 1883. £25.00
- Judge (Sheila M) THE HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT OF EASTERTON VILLAGE. Plan, 86 + (1)pp, 4to, typescript, plastic spiral binding, original pictorial card covers. Easterton: 1986. £16.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF WILTSHIRE 1927. With coloured folding map, 23 + xviii + 439pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, short split to foot of top outer hinge, short tear to map, small ownership label to front endpaper. London: Kelly's Directories Ltd., 1927. £75.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF WILTSHIRE 1935. Lacks map, 31 (adverts) + xx + 437pp, original cloth, spine faded, rubbed to edges, short tear to front endpaper. London: Kelly's Directories Ltd, 1935. £60.00
- Lear (Francis) A SERMON Preached in The Parish Church, Warminster, at the Anniversary Meeting of the Wilts Friendly Society, Thursday, April 11th, 1844. Pamphlet, disbound, 16pp. Warminster: R.E. Vardy. 1844. £12.00
- [Ledwich (E)] ANTIQUITATES SARISBURIENSIS: or, the History and Antiquities of Old and New Sarum: Original Records, and early Writers. With an Appendix. With 2 folding engraved plates, 307 + (3)pp, library style qtr morocco, cloth boards, ex-lib., with labels to front pastedown and front endpaper, number to foot of spine, small stamp to title-page, ink note to title and contemporary dated signature. New Edition. Salisbury: Printed and Sold by E. Easton. 1777. £40.00
- Longstaff (John C) NOTES ON WILTSHIRE NAMES. Vol 1 - Place Names. v + 166pp, original cloth, slight signs where label removed from front endpaper. All published. Wm. Dotesio, The Library Press, Bradford-on-Avon: 1911. £15.00
- Luce (Major-General Sir Richard H) PAGES FROM THE HISTORY OF THE BENEDICTINE MONASTERY OF MALMESBURY. Folding plan, 11 plates, 64pp, original printed paper boards, slightly faded. First edition, Devizes: George Simpson, 1929. £15.00
- Marlborough Burgesses 1869-70. THE BURGESS ROLL of the Borough of Marlborough, in the County of Wilts. 13 pages printed on rectos only, original printed wraps partly faded, spine partly split. Marlborough: Emberlin, Printer, High Street. (1870) £32.00
* Not in Goddard's Wiltshire Bibliography. Gives the names and addresses of the Burgesses.
- Marlborough College REPORT OF THE MARLBOROUGH COLLEGE NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY For the Year ending Christmas, 1930, No 79, 80, 83 and 84, 1935. Illusts, 133 + 81 + 126 + 93pp, 4 numbers in binders cloth. Loosely inserted is a letter to a Mr Grose from the society, 2 sides of 8vo sheet. Cambridge University Press, 1931 - 1936. £14.00
- Marlborough College REPORT OF THE MARLBOROUGH COLLEGE NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY Nos 42, 43, 44, and 45. For the Years ending Christmas, 1893-1896. Illusts, each issues has approx 140 pages, few marks to early binders cloth. Marlborough: Printed by Chas. Perkins, 1893-1896. £35.00
* At the end of each issue is a table with names of boys, age weight, height, chest size, etc.
- Marsh (A.E.W) HISTORY OF THE BOROUGH AND TOWN OF CALNE and Some Account of the Villages in its Vicinity. Illustrated by Mary F. May, etc. and from Photographs. With folding plan and folding map, illusts, xxvi + 388pp, contemporary half calf, cloth boards, marbled endpapers, covers lightly rubbed to edges, boards slightly faded, Numbered Limited Subscriber's Edition of 100 Copies. Calne: Robert S. Heath. London: Castle, Lamb, Storr, Preface dated 1903. £85.00
- Marshall (George W), editor THE VISITATION OF WILTSHIRE 1623. Frontis, iv + 109pp, small folio, original cloth, very slightly shaken. London: George Bell, 1882. £80.00
* With the engraved armorial bookplate of Stodart.
- Martin (Benjamin) THE NATURAL HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Bound with.... THE NATURAL HISTORY OF HAMPSHIRE. The Wiltshire section has an engraved folding map by Bowen and one other plate, and pages numbered 89-107, complete. The Hampshire section has an engraved folding map by Bowen, and pages numbered 108-133. 2 items continuously paginated, the last page of Hampshire is missing and is provided loose as photocopy, disbound. London: Printed and Sold by W. Owen. 1759. £55.00
* Extracted from his work entitled "The Natural History of England.... "
- Masters (W. Caldwell) SOME NOTES ON THE ANCIENT CHURCH OF ST. LEONARD, STANTON FITZWARREN, WILTS: And Otherwise. viii + 49 + (ii)pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, spine slightly darkened, lightly rubbed. London & Oxford: A.R. Mowbray & Co Ltd. 1913. £20.00
- Mee (Arthur) WILTSHIRE. Cradle of Our Civilisation. Plates, xi + 393pp, dustwrapper slightly ragged. Fourth impression, Hodder and Stoughton, London: 1950 £12.00
- Michael (W) HISTORICAL ASSOCIATIONS OF MALMESBURY ABBEY, Engraving, 8pp, original printed top wrap, lacks rear wrap, light spotting. W. Michael, Bookseller. &c. Westbury Wilts. 1875. £12.00
- Michael (W) HISTORY OF ABURY, (Avebury) Near Marlborough, Wilts. Engraved frontis, 8pp, sm 8vo, original printed top wrap, lacks lower wrap, slight spotting. W. Michael, Bookseller. &c. Westbury Wilts. c.1870. £15.00
- Michael (W) HISTORY OF SALISBURY CATHEDRAL. Engraved frontis, 8pp, sm 8vo, original printed top wrap, lacks lower wrap. W. Michael, Bookseller. &c. Westbury Wilts. c.1870. £10.00
WILTSHIRE ANTIQUARIAN BOOKS
Not all of my books are on line.
For a further selection and to receive my latest catalogue please E-mail :- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Moffatt (Rev. J.M) THE HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF MALMESBURY, and of its adjacent Abbey.... together with Memoirs of eminent Natives, and other distinguished Characters who were connected with the Town or Abbey: to which is added an Appendix. With a frontis, 2 other plates, a plan, and a folding Table of the Charities, 249 + errata, later cloth, ex-lib., with label to front pastedown, and a couple of stamps, number to foot of spine, table laid down on linen, tear to table repaired to verso, occasional light foxing, stain partly affecting edge of one plate and a couple of leaves. Two early photographs of the Abbey pasted to a front blank. Tetbury: Printed (for the Editor) by J.G. Goodwyn. 1805. £35.00
- Moody (Henry) NOTES AND ESSAYS, Archaeological, Historical, and Topographical, relating To the Counties of Hants and Wilts. xvi + 271pp, sm 8vo, original cloth, slightly rubbed and partly faded, inner hinges cracked though sound, signs where bookplate removed from front pastedown. Winchester: Published by the Author. 1851. £20.00
- Moore (Rev. Cecil Gurden), editor THE REGISTERS OF BROAD CHALKE, Co. Wilts, From 1538 to 1780. viii + 79pp, roy 8vo, original cloth. Eighty Copies (For Subscribers only). Privately Printed. London: Mitchell and Hughes, 1881. £100.00
- Nightingale (J.E) CHURCH PLATE OF THE COUNTY OF WILTS, Including that part of the County now in the Diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. From returns made by J.E.Nightingale and the Rev. E.H. Goddard. With 33 illusts, 256pp, roy 8vo, original cloth, fore-edges of text leaves spotty. Salisbury: Printed by Bennett Brothers, Journal Office. 1891. £32.00
- North (Allan), printer WILTSHIRE and Some Neighbouring Records: Historical, Biographical and Pictorial. "The Wessex Series." Numerous illusts, and over 400 un-numbered pages, 4to, original parchment-backed cloth, small portion torn from head of spine, covers lightly rubbed, and dusty, marbled endpapers, a.e.g., tissue guards. Published only for Subscribers. London: Allan North, c.190- £60.00
* Contains short biographies of most of the important people in the county at the time, usually with photographic portraits, and occasionally with illustrations of their houses.
- Northern Division of Wiltshire THE REGISTER OF PERSONS ENTITLED TO VOTE AT ANY ELECTION OF A MEMBER OR MEMBERS TO SERVE IN PARLIAMENT FOR THE NORTHERN DIVISION OF THE COUNTY OF WILTS. Between the Thirteenth Day of November, 1858, and the First Day of December, 1859. 122 pages printed on one side only, 4to, original printed wraps, portions missing from spine. Salisbury: Printed by the of the late James M.B. Bennett, at the Journal Office, Canal, 1858. £85.00
* Arranged in tables listing full names, place of abode, nature of qualification, (i.e. description of property), occupier, and address. Includes the Polling Districts of Chippenham, Devizes, Malmesbury, Marlborough, Melksham, and Swindon.
- Noyes (Ella) SALISBURY PLAIN Its Stones, Cathedral City, Villages and Folk. Illustrated by Dora Noyes. With 16 coloured plates, textual illusts, 320pp, original cloth. First edition, London & Toronto, J.M. Dent & Sons. 1913. £45.00
- Penruddocke (Charlesana Posthema) SKETCHES DONE FOR CHARITY. Title + 10 plates, each plate is hand-coloured, possibly by an amateur at a later date, oblong 8vo, later unlettered cloth boards, slightly rubbed to corners, few minor marks to boards. Each plate has a title and a one line humourous comment. No imprint. 1860. £120.00
* Charlesana was possibly a member of the Penruddocke family of Compton Chamberlayne.
- Perkins (John) A HISTORY OF THE CORPORATE PROPERTY AND FREEDOM OF THE BOROUGH OF CHIPPENHAM. Compiled from The Borough Records and other Maps and Papers. With 9 plans, 5 of which are folding, with 2 original photographs of plans pasted in at the front, 140 pages, hand written and reproduced by a duplicating process, original qtr cloth, marbled paper boards, paper label on top board. Loosely inserted is a hand written letter to Sir Prior Goldney which was sent to him with the book. Chippenham: 1906. £70.00
- Petrie (W.M. Flinders), updated by Hawkins (Gerald S) STONEHENGE: Plans, Description and Theories. Illusts, diagrams and plans, roy 8vo, 80pp, original cloth, portion of lettering on top boards slightly rubbed. History and Mysteries of Man Ltd., London: 1989. £18.00
* Petrie's work was originally published in 1880.
- Phillimore's Parish Register Series THE MARRIAGE REGISTERS OF HEYTESBURY. 1654 to 1837. Pages numbered 97 to 124, original cloth with paper label on top board. Phillimore. (1910) £14.00
- Phillimore's Parish Register Series THE MARRIAGE REGISTERS OF MARKET LAVINGTON, alias Lavington Forum, 1673 to 1812. Pages numbered 63 to 91, original cloth with paper label on top board. Phillimore. (1909) £15.00
- Phillimore's Parish Register Series THE MARRIAGE REGISTERS OF WEST KNOYLE. 1719 to 1837. Pages numbered 145 to 149, complete, original cloth with paper label on top board. Phillimore. (1910) £12.00
- Phillimore's Parish Register Series THE MARRIAGE REGISTERS OF ST. PETER'S MARLBOROUGH. 1611 to 1812. 64pp, original cloth with paper label on top board. Phillimore. (1906) £14.00
- Phillimore's Parish Register Series THE MARRIAGE REGISTERS OF YATTON KEYNELL. 1653 to 1812. Pages numbered 127 to 136, original cloth, with paper label on top board, embossed stamp of Phillimore to front endpaper. Phillimore. (1909) £15.00
- Phillips (Sir Thomas) INSTITUTIONES. CLERICORUM IN COMITATU WILTONAE, ab anno 1297, ad annum 1810. Edente Thoma Phillips, Baronetto. 179-234 and 107pp, lacking all before page 178 in part 1, folio, 2 parts in one, interleaved with blanks, some early ink 'crosses' and 'ticks'. Contemporary half calf, marbled boards, rubbed. . £85.00
- Piggott (Stuart) WILLIAM STUKELEY An Eighteenth-Century Antiquary. With frontis and 6 plates, xvi + 228pp, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper, owners name and owners label to front pastedown. First edition, Oxford at the Clarendon Press, 1950. £12.00
* Antiquary and author of works on Stonehenge and Avebury.
- Pigot's PIGOT'S DIRECTORY OF WILTSHIRE 1842. With engraved folding map, 46pp, disbound, fore-edge margin of map slightly ragged, map off-set, short tear to map neatly repaired to verso. £45.00
- Pole (Felix) FELIX J.C. POLE His Book. xii + 233pp, dustwrapper slightly frayed at head of spine, small spot to spine of dustwrapper. Second edition, Town and Country Press, Bracknell: 1968. £22.00
* The first edition was published privately for his friends in 1954. Pole was born in Wiltshire and for the first 38 years of his working life he was at the Great Western Railway works in Swindon where he rose to become the General Manager.
- Pollard (Joshua) and Reynolds (Andrew) AVEBURY The biography of a landscape. Illusts, coloured plates, diagrams, maps, 288pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. Tempus, Stroud: 2002. £12.00
- [Price (Francis)] A DESCRIPTION OF THAT ADMIRABLE STRUCTURE THE CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF SALISBURY, with The Chapels, Monuments, Grave - Stones, and their inscriptions. To which is prefixed An Account of Old Sarum. Illustrated with copper-plates. With 15 engraved plates, 3 of which are folding, vi + 50 + 144pp, 4to, later qtr cloth, paper boards, covers rubbed to edges, recent paper label on spine. London: Printed by R. Baldwin, 1774. £160.00
- Price (Francis) A SERIES OF PARTICULAR AND USEFUL OBSERVATIONS MADE WITH GREAT DILIGENCE AND CARE, UPON THAT ADMIRABLE STRUCTURE, THE CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF SALISBURY. Calculated for the Use and Amusement of Gentlemen, and other curious Persons, as well as for the Assistance of such Artists, as may be employed in Buildings of the like kind:.... With folding view of the cathedral and 13 other engraved plates, v + 78pp including a 9pp list of the original subscribers, 4to, dustwrapper. Originally published 1753. Facsimile Edition. Salisbury & Stonehenge Edition Facsimiles. 1997. £25.00
- Rawling (J), printer AN ACCOUNT OF THE PAROCHIAL CHARITIES OF BRADFORD-ON-AVON, Wilts. Published in pursuance of a Resolution of a Public Vestry. Frontis, table, 44pp, recent cloth. Bradford-on-Avon: J. Rawling, 1858. £35.00
* Not on Copac.
- Redman (D.A.K) THE REDMANS OF HALFWAY HOUSE. The Story of a Wiltshire Family. Illusts, large folding family portrait, map endpapers, viii + 128pp, couple of short tears to dustwrapper, part of rear of dustwrapper re-newed with similar paper. Ramsbury: Clodagh O'Grady, 1978. £20.00
* Halfway House Farm is at Beanacre near Melksham.
- Reeves (Marjorie) SHEEP BELL AND PLOUGHSHARE. The Story of Two Village Families. Illusts, pedigrees, 180pp, small area rubbed to top of dustwrapper. Signed presentation inscription by the author to half-title. Moonraker Press, Bradford-on-Avon: 1978. £18.00
* Concerns the Whitaker and Reeves families of Bratton.
- Rutter (Norah), and others MERE: A Wiltshire Country Town. Illusts, 85pp, folio, map endpapers, dustwrapper is lightly rubbed to edges, and has a couple of short tears. The Blackmore Press, Shaftesbury: 1975. £14.00
- Sacheverell (Henry) ANGLI S.T.P. ORATIO Cum in Jus Vocaretur A trocium Criminum & Culparum Postulatus.... 59pp, untrimmed in recent qtr cloth, marbled boards, few pages slightly browned, early ink note scored through on title-page. Londini: Impressa & prostat Venalis apud Gul. Carter Bibliopolam.... 1710. £35.00
* Sacheverell was born in Marlborough the son of Joshua Sacheverell, rector of St. Peter's Marlborough. Works by him achieved fame in 1709 when he attacked the Whig government for its toleration of religious dissenters.
- Scrope (G. Poulett) HISTORY OF THE MANOR AND ANCIENT BARONY OF CASTLE COMBE in the County of Wilts..... With 4 plates, 2 of which are coloured, textual illusts, x + 404pp, 4to, original cloth boards, later unlettered spine, covers partly faded. Printed For Private Circulation. London: J.R. Nicholls, 1852. £195.00
* Issued without the map, 150 copies printed, see Lowndes. Bibliographer's Manual of English Literature.
- Scrope (G. Poulett) PRINTED LETTER. '[The following Letter addressed by Mr Poulett Scrope " to the Electors of Chippenham, Present and Future," just before the late dissolution, offers a brief view of the practical arguments for Reform, and is reprinted at the request of several of the Yeomanry, Manufacturers, and other respectable inhabitants of the North of Wiltshire'] Folio, 4pp, unbound as issued, folded, slightly dusty. Alexander, Printer, Chippenham. (1831) £32.00
- Scrope (G. Poulett) THE COMMON CAUSE of the Landlord, Tenant, and Labourer, and the Common Cure of Their complaint in a Letter to the Agriculturists of the South of England. Folio, 15 + 1 page of publishers adverts, recent unlettered qtr calf, marbled boards. London: James Ridgway, 1830. £40.00
- Shrewton Charities RETURN AND DIGEST OF ENDOWED CHARITIES... PARISH OF SHREWTON. Folio, 13pp, stitched as issued, small stamp to top leaf. Ordered by The House of Commons, to be Printed 11 August 1904. £8.00
- Shute (Henry) MY LORD PEMBROKE'S MANOR OF NETHERHAMPTON. Full page and textual illusts, 320pp, original pictorial wrappers, small private ownership label to title-page. Privately Published by H.R. Shute, 1986. £14.00
- Simmonds (Sarah), editor AVEBURY WORLD HERITAGE SITE Residents' Pack. Containing:- 'Values and Voices' Reflections, scholarly views, anecdotes, and recollections of life in the Avebury World Heritage Site. Numerous black and white and coloured illusts, 102pp.... with.... Nine card leaflets on 4 illustrated pages, from each of the organisations who manage the site. Oblong 8vo, all contained in paper covered card pictorial folder. Avebury World Heritage Site, 2008. £25.00
- Skurray (Francis) BIDCOMBE HILL, A Rural and Descriptive Poem. Second Edition. To which is Added An Essay on Local Poetry. Engraved frontis of Longleat, 2 other engraved plates, 220 + advert leaf, untrimmed in the original paper boards, slightly rubbed, lacks lettering piece. Second Edition, London: Cadell, 1824. £65.00
* The first edition did not contain the author's 100 page essay on the defence of topographical poetry. Skurray was the rector of Winterbourne-Abbas, Dorset.
- Slater's DIRECTORY OF WILTSHIRE 1852-3 62pp, recent amateur paper wraps. £25.00
- Smith (Betty) OUR WILTSHIRE VILLAGE. STEEPLE ASHTON. Illustrated by Alan Andrew. Plan, line drawings and coloured plates, 156pp, oblong 8vo, dustwrapper. Alan Sutton. Gloucester: 1989. £22.00
* Signed presentation inscription from the author on the title-page.
- Smith (James) WILTON AND ITS ASSOCIATIONS. With illustrations on wood by W.F. Tiffin. xiv + 222pp, original cloth, partly faded and slightly rubbed, few small spots to cloth, small hole to spine, signs where label removed from front endpaper, number to base of spine. Salisbury: George Brown, and London: J.B. Nicholls, 1851. £22.00 --- See sample text
- Smith (Rev. A.C) GUIDE TO THE BRITISH AND ROMAN ANTIQUITIES OF THE NORTH WILTSHIRE DOWNS in a Hundred Square Miles round Abury. Being a Key to the Large Map of the Above. Plates, textual illusts, xv + 247 + iv page list of subscribers, roy 4to, text volume bound in the original cloth, gilt, recased with new endpapers, light splash marks to rear board. With the 19 coloured maps pasted onto separate sheets, most double-page, in a separate volume, later cloth, some spotting mainly to sheets onto which the sections of the map are pasted. First Edition. Marlborough College Natural History Society. 1884. £165.00
* 'Strictly speaking, this is rather a reproduction of the First Edition.... On the very day when a portion of the original work was published at Marlborough (April 3, 1884), a disastrous fire broke out in Ivy Lane and Paternoster Row, and totally consumed the remainder of the Edition (214 out of 500 copies).' Preface.
- Southern Division of Wiltshire THE REGISTER OF PERSONS ENTITLED TO VOTE AT ANY ELECTION OF A MEMBER OR MEMBERS TO SERVE IN PARLIAMENT FOR THE SOUTHERN DIVISION OF THE COUNTY OF WILTS. Between the Thirtieth Day of November, 1860, and the First Day of December 1861. 94 pages printed on one side only, 4to, slightly dusty original printed wraps. Salisbury: Printed by M.B. Bennett, at the Journal Office, Canal, 1860. £85.00
* Arranged in tables listing full names, place of abode, nature of qualification, (i.e. description of property), occupier, and address. Includes the Polling Districts of Downton, Everley, Great Bedwyn, Hindon, Salisbury, Warminster and Westbury.
- Stevens (Edward T) JOTTINGS ON SOME OBJECTS OF INTEREST IN THE STONEHENGE EXCURSION; Thursday, August 24, 1876. Textual illusts, folding plan frontis, xii + 236pp, later binders cloth slightly rubbed to head and foot of spine, one fold of map reinforced to verso. Salisbury: Bennett Brothers, Printers, Journal Office. c.187- £30.00
* The edition of this work usually encountered was published by Brown of Salisbury in 1882 on 181 pages. With the bookplate of John E. Pritchard.
- Stokes (Ethel) ABSTRACTS OF WILTSHIRE INQUISITIONES POST MORTEM, Returned into the Court of Chancery in the Reign of King Edward III. A.D. 1327 - 1377. iv + 461pp, in the original 6 parts and in the original wrappers. London: British Record Society, 1914. £28.00
- Stone (E. Herbert) THE STONES OF STONEHENGE. A full description of the Structure and of its Outworks. Illustrated by numerous photographs, diagrams, and plans drawn to scale. xv + 150pp, 4to, original cloth, small hole to top outer hinge, top board partly faded. London: Robert Scott, 1924. £50.00
- Tunnicliff (W) TOPOGRAPHICAL SURVEY OF THE COUNTIES OF.... the WILTSHIRE section. With 7 engraved pages of coats of arms, double-page distance table, lacks the map, pages numbered 51-89, disbound with the text and plates in 2 separate sections. Salisbury: Printed for the Author by B.C. Collins, 1791. £18.00
* Includes:- 'Travelling Index to the Great Roads in Wiltshire', and a list of the 'Principal Nobility and Gentry in the County of Wiltshire.'
- Urchfont A PARTICULAR OF THE MANOR OF ERCHFONT IN THE COUNTY OF WILTS. Taken in May, 1784. 23pp, folio, docket title, ex-lib. with label to front endpaper, couple of small stamps to first leaf, later cloth, number to base of spine, inner margins, fore-edge margins, and a few top margins neatly reinforced with transparent paper. The centre of the last few leaves have a few small holes occasionally affecting a few words of text, where once folded, these have also been reinforced. Some pencil notes to verso of last leaf, light stains to a few leaves. 1784. £125.00
- Victoria County History, edited by E. Crittall. THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 1, Part 2. Plates and Illusts, xvi + 281-499pp, small folio, small portion torn from head and spine of dustwrapper spotty, small hole to fold of dustwrapper, wrapper now covered in a loose plastic sleeve, date in ink to front endpaper. Oxford University Press, 1973. £25.00
* Includes chapters on Roman, Iron age and Bronze age archaeology
- Victoria County History, edited by R.B. Pugh and Elizabeth Crittall THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 2. Plates and textual illusts, 245pp, small folio, special edition bound in half morocco, cloth boards. First edition, Oxford University Press, 1955. £42.00
* Includes chapters on:- The Wiltshire Domesday; Anglo Saxon Art; Anglo Saxon Wiltshire, etc.
- Victoria County History, edited by Elizabeth Crittall A HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE VOLUME 6. Plates and Illusts, xx + 239pp, small folio, some minor soiling, and spotting to the original cloth, private bookplate to front pastedown. First edition. London: Oxford University Press, 1962. £40.00
* Covers the Borough of Wilton, Borough of Salisbury, City of New Salisbury, Hundred of Underditch.
- Victoria County History, edited by Pugh (R.B) and Crittall (Elizabeth) THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 7. Plates and illusts, xix + [ii, corrigenda] + 241pp, small folio, original cloth, ex-Bristol University label to verso of top cover otherwise a good copy. First edition. Oxford University Press. 1953. £38.00
* Covers the Hundreds of Bradford, Melksham, Potterne and Cannings.
- Victoria County History, edited by E. Crittall. THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE Volume 7. Plates and illusts, xix + [ii, corrigenda] + 241pp, small folio, original cloth. Reprinted, Dawson for the University of London Institute of Historical Research, 1985. £40.00
* Covers the Hundreds of Bradford, Melksham, Potterne and Cannings.
- Victoria County History. edited by E. Crittall THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 9. Plates and illusts, xx + 220pp, small folio, light wear and short tear to dustwrapper, lacks most of front endpaper. First edition. Oxford University Press: 1970. £38.00
* Covers the Kingsbridge Hundred, includes Swindon and the surrounding area.
- Victoria County History. edited by D.A. Crowley THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 11. Plates and illusts, xxix + 284pp, small folio, original cloth, dustwrapper. First edition. Oxford University Press: 1980. £48.00
* Covers Downton Hundred and Elstub and Everleigh Hundred.
- Victoria County History. edited by D.A. Crowley THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 11. Plates and illusts, xxix + 284pp, small folio, original cloth, dustwrapper, ex-Bristol University stamp to foot of prelim and last leaf, small label to front endpaper. First edition. Oxford University Press: 1980. £35.00
* Covers Downton Hundred and Elstub and Everleigh Hundred.
- Victoria County History, edited by D.A. Crowley. VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE Volume 12. Plates and illusts, xx + 257pp, small folio, original cloth, short tear to dustwrapper. First edition, Institute of Historical Research by Oxford University Press, 1983. £50.00
* Covers Ramsbury and Selkley Hundreds and the Borough of Marlborough.
- Victoria County History, edited by D.A. Crowley A HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 14. Plates and illusts, xx + 267pp, small folio, original cloth, dustwrapper, ex-Bristol University label with small stamp to foot of one prelim and last leaf, slight signs where label removed from pastedown, otherwise a nice copy. Oxford University Press, 1991. £45.00
* Covers the Malmesbury Hundred.
- Victoria County History, edited by D.A. Crowley. THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE Volume 15. Plates and illusts, xxii + 338pp, small folio, original cloth, dustwrapper. Published for the Institute of Historical Research by Oxford University Press. 1995. £45.00
* Covers Amesbury Hundred and Branch and Dole Hundred.
- Ward (Thomas Rawdon) A LETTER ADDRESSED TO THE PROVOST AND FELLOWS OF KING'S COLLEGE, CAMBRIDGE. Relative to the Non-Renewal of Some Copyhold Lands at Ogbourne St. Andrew, Wilts. 16pp, unbound, stitched as issued. Egham: C.C. Wetton, 1844. £25.00
- Warminster LOCAL GOVERNMENT ACT, 1858. BYE-LAWS MADE BY THE LOCAL BOARD OF WARMINSTER, in the County of Wilts. 46pp, limp cloth. Warminster: Martin Brothers. 1868. £22.00
- Waylen (James) A HISTORY MILITARY AND MUNICIPAL OF THE TOWN (otherwise called the City) OF MARLBOROUGH; and more Generally of the Entire Hundred of Selkley. viii + 570 + [xx]pp of publishers adverts, original embossed cloth, recased retaining the original endpapers. London: John Russell Smith. 1854. £85.00
- Waylen (James) CHRONICLES OF THE DEVIZES, Being a History of the Castle, Parks and Borough of that Name; With Notices Statistical, Parliamentary, Ecclesiastical, and Biographical. Frontis, 362pp, contemporary cloth, recased retaining original endpapers and with the old spine laid down, paper label on spine slightly darkened and chipped, occasional slight spotting. First edition, London: Printed for the Author, 1839. £70.00
- Webb (Edward Doran), Architect THE HISTORY OF THE HUNDRED OF RAMSBURY in the County of Wiltshire. Part I. The Parish of Ramsbury. (All Published.) With 5 plates, viii + 64pp, folio, ex-lib. with label to front endpaper, stamps to a few leaves and verso of plates, recent cloth, number to base of spine. Salisbury: Bennett Brothers, Printers, Journal Office, 1890. £55.00
- West Wilts Printing Co. HISTORIC SPOTS IN WILTSHIRE. Illusts, 146pp, original cloth, spine darkened and slightly rubbed. West Wilts Printing Co. Ltd. Trowbridge: c.190- £18.00 --- See sample text
* Includes chapters on:- Westbury White Horse; Farleigh Castle; Malmesbury Abbey; Lacock Abbey; Longleat House; Corsham Court; Avebury; Stonehenge; Bowood, etc.
- Williams (Alfred) ROUND ABOUT THE UPPER THAMES. With Four Photographs and a Map. 319pp, original cloth partly faded, pencil notes to rear endpapers, occasional light foxing, small ownership label to front endpaper. First edition. London: Duckworth & Co. 1922. £25.00
- Williams (Alfred) NATURE AND OTHER POEMS. 95 + (1)pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, few short tears and small hole to slightly rubbed dustwrapper, occasional light foxing. First edition, London: Erskine MacDonald. 1912. £65.00
* Signed by the author on the title-page.
- Wiltshire Notes and Queries. WILTSHIRE NOTES AND QUERIES. VOLUME 1. 1893-1895. An Illustrated Quarterly Antiquarian and Genealogical Magazine. Full-page and textual illusts, iv + 611pp, early half calf, spine faded, marbled boards, gilt tines and morocco label on spine, endpapers foxed, occasional spotting to text. Devizes: George Simpson. 1896. £35.00
* Includes articles:- Hyde family of Trowbridge; Dugdale of Wilts; Old Mill at Purton; Wiltshire Folk Lore; White Horse of Westbury; Clutterbuck of Hardenhuish; etc., etc.
- Wiltshire Notes and Queries. WILTSHIRE NOTES AND QUERIES. VOLUME 2. 1896-1898. An Illustrated Quarterly Antiquarian and Genealogical Magazine. Full-page and textual illusts, 637pp, original cloth, partly faded, occasional light foxing. Devizes: George Simpson, 1899. £35.00
* Includes articles:- Fawconer of Salisbury; Southwick Court; Heddington and the Child Family; Estcourt of Swinley; Great Somerford; Nonsuch House, Bromham; Lists early Quaker marriages in Wiltshire, etc.
- Wiltshire Parish Registers, edited by W.P.W. Phillimore and John Sadler. WILTSHIRE PARISH REGISTERS. MARRIAGES. Volume 12. vi + [ii] + 147pp, original cloth. LIMITED TO 150 COPIES. London: Phillimore & Co Ltd. 1912. £35.00
* With the armorial bookplate of William Gundry. Marriages celebrated in each Parish from the first entry up to the year 1812. Contains the Parishes of Bratton, Fuggleston with Bemerton, Boyton, Sherrington, Latton, Collingbourne Ducis.
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazines.
A selection of volumes currently in stock.
Wiltshire Record Society.
A selection of volumes currently in stock.
- Wordsworth (Chr.), editor THE FIFTEENTH CENTURY CARTULARY OF ST. NICHOLAS' HOSPITAL, SALISBURY, and Other Records. With 22 Illustrations, some of which are folding, lxxxviii + 386pp, original cloth, ex-lib. with only signs where label removed from front pastedown, and number to foot of spine. Salisbury: Brown and Co. 1902. £32.00
- Worth (R.N) TOURIST'S GUIDE TO WILTSHIRE: Its Scenery and Antiquities. With folding map and plan. vi + [ii] + 120 + 32pp of publishers adverts, sm 8vo, original cloth. First edition, London: Edward Stanford, 1887. £20.00
Back to the TopCopyright © Ambra Books -- 2017. All rights reserved.
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :-
Tel:- ( 0117 ) 9076899
E-mail :- email@example.com
Bristol -- Cornwall -- Devon -- Dorset -- Gloucestershire -- Somerset --
Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine
Wiltshire Record Society
General ( Includes items of WILTSHIRE interest. )
WILTSHIRE :- Selection of items I wish to purchase
WILTSHIRE :- Selection of manuscripts, maps, ephemera etc. for sale from Lesley Aitchison.
AMBRA BOOKS Home page