DORSET - History, Topography and Genealogy
Antiquarian and Secondhand Books
This is a selection from my stock.
Please let me know if there are any other titles you are looking for.
Click on:- ORDERING details
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :- ( 0117 ) 9076899
Postage, packing and insurance are extra.
When ordering from this list please note item No., Author, and Title.
Payment can be made by either sterling cheque, or by bank transfer.
Prices are nett.
Click to go to:- DORSET Clearance List
- Almack (T.F) A VILLAGE HERITAGE The Story of Blandford St. Mary. With 11 plates, 3 folding plans, and a folding pedigree, vii + 83pp, few short tears to dustwrapper. Friary Press, Dorchester: (1961) £16.00
- Bankes (Viola) A DORSET HERITAGE The Story of Kingston Lacy. With 8 plates, 200pp, few small nicks to dustwrapper, spine of dustwrapper slightly rubbed. London: The Richards Press, 1953. £16.00
- Barnes (William) A GLOSSARY OF THE DORSET DIALECT with a Grammar. vii + (i) + 124 + (1)pp, 103pp, 12mo, original card covers, light stain to rear cover. First published 1886. Second Edition. Toucan Press, Guernsey: 1970. £20.00
- Bartelot (R. Grosvenor) and Feacey (J) THE PREBENDIAL CHURCH OF ST. GEORGE AT FORDINGTON, DORSET. Notes on its Medieval Floor Tiles by R. Grosvenor Barteltot; together with A Detailed Account of its Architecture., by J. Feacey. Folding plan, plates, 87pp, original wraps, staples slightly rusty. Reprinted from Dorset Natural History and Antiquarian Field Club, Proceedings. Dorchester: 1909. £14.00
- Bayley (A.R) THE GREAT CIVIL WAR IN DORSET 1642-1660. Folding map, xx + 493 +(2)pp, original cloth, contemporary inscription to front pastedown, neat repair to head of spine. Taunton: Barnicott and Pearce, 1910. £245.00
* There is a subscribers list which lists 121 subscribers.
- Benfield (Eric) THE TOWN OF MAIDEN CASTLE. Illusts, 70pp, dustwrapper. Robert Hale, London: 1947. £18.00
- Bettey (J.H), editor THE CASEBOOK OF SIR FRANCIS ASHLEY J.P. RECORDER OF DORCHESTER 1614-35. xiii + 131pp, folio, original decorative printed wraps. Publication No 7 for The Dorset Record Society, 1981. £14.00
- Black's BLACK'S GUIDE TO THE SOUTH-WESTERN COUNTIES OF ENGLAND. DORSETSHIRE. Frontis, folding map, vi + 97 + 16pp adverts, 12mo, original cloth, inner hinges cracked, slightly shaken, some minor spotting mainly to prelims. First edition, Edinburgh: Adam and Charles Black, 1862. £40.00
- Bond (Thomas) HISTORY AND DESCRIPTION OF CORFE CASTLE, in the Isle of Purbeck, Dorset. With plates and 2 plans, 1 of which is folding, 144pp, original cloth, recased old spine laid down, new endpapers. London: Edward Stanford. Bournemouth: E.M. & A. Sydenham, 1883. £65.00
- Boswell (Edward) THE CIVIL DIVISION OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET, Methodically Digested and Arranged, comprising lists of The Civil Ministerial Officers, Magistrates, and Subordinate Officers; with a complete Nomina Villarum, in Four Parts; A List of the County and other Bridges; together with the Annual Value of Real Property; Amount of the Land-Tax; of the Poor's-Rate, and County Rate; the Population; and the Rules and Orders for Regulation of the Practice of the Quarter Session. Also, An Appendix.... Folding map, viii + ii list of subscribers + 192 + 98 + xxvipp, untrimmed in the early qtr cloth, paper boards, top board partly waterstained, internally sound, paper label on spine, signs where label removed from front endpaper. The Second Edition: Corrected, Augmented, and Improved. Dorchester: 1833. £95.00
- Braye (John), editor SWANAGE (Isle of Purbeck) Its History, Resources as an Invigorating Health Resort, Botany and Geology. Folding map of Purbeck, with a double-page geological map of Swanage, 13 plates and textual illusts, 119pp, original paper boards. London: William Henry Everett & Son, 1890. £40.00
- Brocklebank (Joan) AFFPUDDLE IN THE COUNTY OF DORSET. A.D. 987-1953. A study compiled from written sources. With 23 plates, folding map, 123pp, 4to, few short tears and short strip torn from head of spine to dustwrapper. Horace G. Commin, Bournemouth: 1968. £20.00
- Brocklebank (Joan) VICTORIAN STONE CARVERS IN DORSET CHURCHES 1856-1880. With excerpts from the reports of the consecration ceremonies in the Dorset County Chronicle and other Sources. Plates, map endpapers, 72pp, 4to, slightly faded dustwrapper. Wimborne: The Dovecote Press. 1979. £24.00
- Bysshe (Sir Edward), transcribed and edited by G.D. Squibb. THE VISITATION OF DORSET 1677. Made by Sir Edward Bysshe, Knight, Clarenceux King of Arms. xii + 124 + (19)pp, original cloth. Harleian Society, London, 1977. £28.00
- Camden (William), translated by Edmund Gibson DORSET. Extracted from Camden's Britannia. Lacks map, pages numbered 43-54, folio, disbound. London: R. Ware.... 1753. £18.00
- Charities THE CHARITIES IN THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Selected from the Voluminous Reports of the Commissioners for Inquiring concerning Charities in England and Wales, which began the 58th Year of the Reign of Geo. III. and ended the 7th of Will. IV. Folio, 110pp + 5 - 182pp, contemporary half calf, marbled boards, leather label on spine, covers lightly rubbed, small strips torn from calf on corners, inner hinges partly cracked though sound, some spotting mainly to front and rear. London: Sold by James Newman. 1840. £85.00
* Not in Mayo's Bibliotheca Dorsetiensis. Consists of 'Report of the Commissioners.... ' and 'Further Report.... ' Originally issued as blue books, this is a re-issue with a new title-page.
With the engraved armorial bookplate of Sir Edward B. Baker.
- Charity Commissioners REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONERS For Inquiring Concerning Charities. County of DORSET section. Pages numbered 285-294 (Index) 1839.... Bound with..... FURTHER REPORT... 5-182pp..... Bound with..... GENERAL DIGEST OF ENDOWED CHARITIES... DORSET, 1863-64. 5-110pp. (1864)..... Bound with.... COPY "OF THE DIGEST OF ENDOWED CHARITIES IN THE COUNTY OF DORSET..... but are not Recorded in the General digest... 1863-64. 29pp. 1894. Four items bound in one, folio, early half calf, marbled boards, small portions of paper chipped from boards, rubbed to edges, endpapers waterstained, occasional light foxing. 1839, 1864 and 1894. £125.00
* Extracted from the blue papers.
- Commins (J) COMMINS'S IMPROVED WEYMOUTH GUIDE. 96pp, sm 8vo, original printed card covers, very slightly chipped to head and foot of spine. Weymouth: Printed and Published by J. Commin, (1836) £85.00
* Not on Copac. A note on the top cover indicates that this edition was sold for One Shilling and there was another edition with an engraved frontis which sold for One Shilling and Sixpence. This is the One Shilling edition.
- Coulstock (Patricia H) THE COLLEGIATE CHURCH OF WIMBORNE MINSTER. Studies in the History of Medieval Religion 5. Plate, x + 267pp, original cloth. The Boydell Press, Woodbridge: 1993. £32.00
- Cox (Rev. Thomas) DORSETSHIRE. Extracted from Magna Britannia. Lacks the map, pages numbered 548-604, lacks the leaf of distance table as usual, disbound, occasional light foxing. London: E. and R. Nutt, c.1720. £40.00
* Includes sections on:- the various Boroughs; Natural History; Ecclesiastical History, etc.
- [Criswick (J)] A WALK ROUND DORCHESTER; Containing An Account of everything worthy.... Also an Account of the Abbeys Of Milton, Cerne, and Bindon, together with Sherborne, Lulworth, and Corfe Castles. Engraved frontis, and folding map, xxvi + (i) + 125 + 4pp, untrimmed in recent half calf, leather label on spine, marbled boards, early owner's name on title-page, ink splash mark to one leaf slightly affecting a few words. Printed by and for J. Criswick, High-West-Street, Dorchester: 1820. £125.00
- Dorset Charities ABSTRACT OF THE RETURNS OF CHARITABLE DONATIONS for the Benefit of Poor Persons, Made by the Ministers and Churchwardens of the Several Parishes and Townships in England and Wales. 1786 - 1788. The Dorset section, folio, loose and unbound, 36pp. Ruled in columns:- Name of Hundred, Names of the Persons who Gave the Charity, When Given, Whether by Will or Deed, Description of the Charity, and for what Purpose given, Whether in Land or Money, In Whom Now Vested, Gross Amount, Annual Produce of the Money, Clear Annual Produce of that given in Land, and Observations. 1816. £40.00
* Not in Mayo's Bibliotheca Dorsetiensis.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by Nelson M. Richardson PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ANTIQUARIAN FIELD CLUB. Volume 20. Illusts, lxxiv + 187pp, original cloth. With the separately issued 4 page, foxed, Index loosely inserted. "Dorset County Chronicle", Dorchester: 1899. £20.00
* Includes articles on:- Athelhampton Hall; Powerstock Church and Castle; Inquisitiones Post Mortem for Dorset; Woodsford Castle; etc., etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by C.W.H. Dicker PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. Volume 30. With illusts, cx + 258pp, original cloth, lightly rubbed to outer hinges. Dorchester: Dorset County Chronicle. 1909. £20.00
* Includes articles on:- Dorset Chantries; Manors of Stratton and Grimston; Fordington Church; Dorset Flora; Register of the Abbey of Milton Maumsbury Rings, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by C.W.H. Dicker PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. Volume 32. With illusts, lxxvi + 251pp, original cloth, occasional light foxing. Dorchester: Dorset County Chronicle. 1911. £20.00
* Includes articles on:- Saxon Saints at Wimborne; Dorchester Gallows; Sir George Somers; Memorial Brasses of Dorset; Calendar of Dorset Deeds, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by Henry Symonds PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. Volume 34. With illusts, lxxxii + 239pp, original cloth, small snag to top outer hinge. Dorchester: Dorset County Chronicle. 1913. £20.00
* Includes articles on:- Bloxworth Church; Earthworks of Cranbourne Chase; Maumbury Rings; Memorial Brasses of Dorset; British Arachnida; Lepidoptera of Isle of Purbeck, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From May, 1917 to May, 1918. Volume 39. With illusts, xl + 124 + 1pp, original cloth. "Dorset County Chronicle" Dorchester: 1918. £20.00
* Includes articles on:- Civil War Coins; Unrecorded Deans of Wimborne Minster; Pipe Leases for Dorset; Dorset "Restored" Churches, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From May, 1919 to May, 1920. Volume 41. With illusts, xlvi + 138pp, original cloth. F.G. Longman, Dorchester: 1921. £20.00
* Includes articles on:- Old Inns of Wimborne; Tudor Houses in Dorset; Sandisfoot Castle, Weymouth, etc. This volume also includes a General Index for volumes 1 to 41.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From May, 1921 to May, 1922. Volume 43. With illusts, xciv + 127 + (2)pp, original cloth, some damp spotting to top board. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1923. £20.00
* Includes articles on:- Black Death in Dorset; Anglo-Saxon Mint at Bridport; Dorset Church Woodwork; Lyme Regis Bridge, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From May, 1924 to May, 1925. Volume 46. With illusts, xcii + 202pp, few marks to slightly warped original cloth. F.G. Longman, Dorchester: 1925. £20.00
* Includes articles on:- Roman Aqueduct at Dorchester; Pre-Reformation Dorset Church Monuments; Holewale Brass at Askerswell; Portland Stone, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From May, 1927 to May, 1928. Volume 49. With illusts, cii + 238 + (3)pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1928. £20.00
* Includes articles on:- Scenery of Dorset; Roofs of Dorset churches; West Woodyates Manor, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From June to December 1928. Volume 50. With illusts, cii + 317pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1929. £20.00
* Includes articles on:- Disc Barrows of Dorset; Ancient Mural Paintings in Dorset churches; Dorset Deeds, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1929. Volume 51. With illusts, cii + 279pp, original cloth. F.G. Longman, Dorchester: 1930. £20.00
* Includes articles on:- List of Coleoptera of Dorset; Chettle Down Earthwork; Effigies in Horton Church; Roman Coins from Jordan Hill, Weymouth, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1930. Volume 52. With illusts, cii + 166pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1931. £20.00
* Includes articles on:- Hamworthy Peninsula; Agricultural Riots in Dorset; Dorset church dedications; Combs Ditch and Bokerley Dyke, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1931. Volume 53. With illusts, cvi + 306pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1932. £20.00
* Includes articles on:- Religious Houses of Dorset; Excavations at Jordan Hill; Outer Bounds of Cranborne Chase; Dorset Deeds, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by E.C. Chancellor PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1932. Volume 54. With illusts, lxxvi + 284pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1933. £20.00
* Includes articles on:- Excavations at Jordan and Preston; Dorset Men in London at end of 17th Century; Haworthy Helmet, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by E.C. Chancellor PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1933. Volume 55. With illusts, lxxvi + 284pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1934. £20.00
* Includes articles on:- Abbotsbury Swannery; Dorset Charters; Abbots of Bindon; Dorset Deeds; Tolpuddle Martyrs, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by E.C. Chancellor PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1932. Volume 54. With illusts, lxxvii + 260pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1933. £20.00
* Includes articles on:- Bindon Abbey Charter; Excavations at Jordan Hill and Preston; Birds in Dorset; Lady St. Mary Church, Wareham, etc., etc.
Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society
I HAVE MANY ODD VOLUMES IN STOCK.
Please let me know if there are any you require.
- Ellis (George Alfred) THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE BOROUGH AND TOWN OF WEYMOUTH AND MELCOMBE REGIS. Plate, v + 270 + 4 page list of subscribers, later half calf, cloth boards, raised bands, spine gilt tooled, marbled endpapers, light spotting to cloth, occasional foxing. Weymouth: Printed and Published by B. Benson. London: Baldwin and Craddock, 1829. £175.00
- Floyer (John), Chairman of the Committee of Visitors GENERAL RULES FOR THE GOVERNMENT IN THE DORSET COUNTY LUNATIC ASYLUMS. 26 + 43 + 36 + 36 + 38 + 40 + 36 + 44 + 50 + 42pp, contemporary half calf, marbled boards, slightly rubbed, record office stamp to second blank. Dorchester: James Foster, 1866, £95.00
* Includes reports for 1856, 1857, 1859, 1860, 1861, 1862, 1863, 1864, 1865,
- Foster (J.J) WESSEX WORTHIES (DORSET) With some account of others connected with the history of the County, and numerous Portraits and Illustrations. With an Introductory Note by Thomas Hardy, O.M. With 31 plates showing 44 illusts, xviii + (ii) + 167pp, roy 8vo, original qtr cloth, paper boards, some light spotting cloth cloth, and paper on rear board partly discoloured. AUTHOR'S EDITION LIMITED TO 325 NUMBERED COPIES. London: Dickinsons, 1920. £40.00
* With the armorial bookplate of Godfrey Dru Drury, Corfe Castle to front pastedown, and with his signature, in pencil, to front endpaper.
- Fry (Edw. Alex.) DORSET CLERGY Being an Abstract of Eight Volumes of Clerical Subscriptions, and One of Presentations, in the Consistory Court of Bristol. Reprinted from Notes and Queries for Somerset and Dorset. 71pp, original wraps. J.C. and A.T. Sawtell, Sherborne: 1901. £15.00
- Good (Ronald) and Robinson (K.L) A GEOGRAPHICAL HANDBOOK OF THE DORSET FLORA. Including a Chapter on The Soils of Dorset With frontispiece and 42 maps, 255pp, 4to, original cloth, partly faded, ex-ref.lib. with label to front pastedown, and to title-page, number to spine. Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, Dorchester: (1948) £20.00
- Good (Ronald) THE OLD ROADS OF DORSET (new enlarged edition). With twenty-two maps. 4to, 166pp, original cloth, top board slightly warped. Horace G. Commin. Bournemouth: 1966. £35.00
- Good (Ronald) WEYLAND. THE STORY OF WEYMOUTH AND ITS COUNTRYSIDE. With illustrations by the author. 116pp, roy 8vo, original wraps. Second Edition. Dorchester: Longmans of Dorchester, The Friary Press, 1946. £20.00
- Grinsell (L.V) DORSET BARROWS. Plates, illusts, folding maps, 192pp, 4to, original cloth, couple of corners slightly bruised. Longmans, Dorchester: 1959. £32.00
- Hillier (John) POOLE AFTER WORLD WAR II 1945-1953. Illusts, 139pp, 4to, dustwrapper. Poole Historical Trust, 1992. £14.00
- Hine (Richard) HISTORY OF BEAMINSTER. With Forty Illustrations and Maps. xii + 471pp, 4to, includes a 3pp list of subscribers, original cloth. Loosely inserted is an engraving of Beaminster Church. Taunton: 1914. £250.00
* Only 137 subscribers listed.
- Hodgson (C.H) and Bensly (W.J) THE SHERBORNE REGISTER Supplement, 1900-1921. xxii + 203pp, original cloth, stamp to front endpaper. Sherborne: F. Bennett, 1921. £15.00
- Hunt and Co's DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE, with Part of Hants and Wilts; Comprising Comprehensive Lists of the Commercial, Professional and private Residents in Every Village, Town and Hamlet throughout the County of Dorset, Likewise in the CITY OF SALISBURY and the Circumjacent Towns of Christchurch, Downton, Fordingbridge, Hindon, Lymington, Mere, Ringwood, Romsey, and Wilton and in Numerous Intervening Villages; Together with A Descriptive Account of each Town.... (viii) + 248 + 88 + 20pp of local adverts, lacks the title-page, original cloth, lightly rubbed, small mark to top cover, inner hinges slightly weak. Printed for E. Hunt & Co. 1851. £150.00
* This is the first separately published directory for Dorset.
- Hutchins (John) HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Compiled from the Best and most Ancient Historians, Inquisitiones Post Mortem, and other Valuable Records and MSS.... With a Copy of Domesday Book and the Inquisitio Gheldi for the County: Interspersed with Some Remarkable Particulars of Natural History.... Volume 4 only. Third Edition, Corrected, Augmented, and Improved, by William Shipp and James Whitworth Hodson. With 19 full page engraved plates, numerous pedigrees and engravings in the text, 534 + clxiii + (1)pp, folio, untrimmed in half morocco, cloth sides, couple of leaves and a few plates lightly waterstained, raised bands, penultimate leaf has several tears, is partly waterstained and has been neatly repaired. Westminster: Printed by John Bowyer Nichols, 1870. £200.00
* With the Indices of Places, Persons, Arms, for the complete set of 4 volumes. This volume includes the Hundreds of Cerne, Totbury, Modbury, Redlane, Sherborne, Sturminster Newton, Whiteway, and Yetminster.
- Hutchins (John) HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Compiled from the Best and most Ancient Historians, Inquisitiones Post Mortem, and other Valuable Records and MSS.... Volume 3 only. Third Edition, Corrected, Augmented, and Improved, by William Shipp and James Whitworth Hodson. With 33 of 34 full page engraved plates, lacks the plate of Kingston Lacy House, numerous pedigrees and engravings in the text, 755pp, folio, untrimmed in early buckram, lightly faded and rubbed, leather label on spine, a few plates lightly waterstained to margins. Westminster: Printed by John Bowyer Nichols, 1868. £200.00
* Includes the Town and Borough of Shaftesbury, and the Hundreds of Badbury, Cogdean, Cranborne, Knowlton, Loosebarrow, Sixpenny Handley; Upwinborne, Wimborne St. Giles, Brownshal, Buckland Newton, Liberty of Gillingham, and Liberty of Sturminster Marshal.
- Huxtable (Rev. A) A LECTURE ON THE SCIENCE AND APPLICATION OF MANURES; With an Appendix. 50pp, later half cloth, marbled endpapers, paper label on spine, ex-lib with labels to front endpapers. Second Edition, London: James Ridgway, 1847. £30.00
* Huxtable was the Rector of Hutton Waldron, Dorset when he wrote this work.
- James (Jude) WIMBORNE MINSTER The History of a Country Town. Numerous illusts, 87 + (9)pp, dustwrapper. The Dovecote Press, Wimborne: 1982. £24.00
* Signed inscription from the author on the front endpaper.
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF DORSET 1939. With coloured folding map, 37 + xviii + 424pp, library style binding in qtr calf, no labels or stamps, with number to foot of spine, slight staining to lower margins of a few leaves. London: Kelly's Directories Ltd. 1939. £60.00
- Kerr (Barbara) BOUND TO THE SOIL A Social History of Dorset 1750 - 1918. With 80 plates, 3 figures in the text and 19 line drawings, xvii + 287pp, dustwrapper slightly rubbed to edges. First edition, John Baker, London: 1968. £24.00
- Legg (Rodney) PURBECK'S HEATH Claypits, nature and the oilfield. Illusts, diagrams, maps, 143pp, pictorial card covers. Dorset Publishing Company, Sherborne: 1987. £22.00
- Legg (Rodney) THE BOOK OF LYME REGIS the Story of Dorset's Western Spa. Illusts, 151pp, 4to, dustwrapper. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 2003. £28.00
- Lyme Regis REPORT ON THE CORPORATION OF LYME REGIS. (Dorsetshire.) Title and pages numbered 1302-1316, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound. House of Commons, London: 1835. £18.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Machin (R) THE HOUSES OF YETMINSTER. Illusts, plans, maps, 172 + (4)pp, folio, original wraps, ex-Bristol University label to verso of top wrap, small stamp to title-page. University of Bristol Extra-Mural Dept. 1978. £30.00
- Machin (R), editor PROBATE INVENTORIES AND MANORIAL EXCEPTS OF CHETNOLE, LEIGH AND YETMINSTER. 2 plates, 37 + (133)pp. folio, original wraps, Bristol University label to verso of top wrap. University of Bristol Extra-Mural Dept. 1976. £24.00
- Majendie (Colonel V.D), H.M. Chief Inspector of Explosives REPORT ON THE CIRCUMSTANCES ATTENDING AN EXPLOSION WHICH OCCURRED ON BOARD A STEAMER, OFF BOURNEMOUTH, on the 20th August 1884. 9pp, folio, folio, stitched as issued. London: 1884. £25.00
- Mansel-Pleydell (J.C) THE MOLLUSCA OF DORSETSHIRE. (Marine, Estuarine, Freshwater, and Land.) and The Brachiopoda. Folding map, xxxii + 110pp, original cloth, few spots to rear board, short tear to map. Dorchester: "Dorchester County Chronicle", 1898. £45.00
* Presentation inscription from the author on front endpaper.
- Martin (Benjamin) THE NATURAL HISTORY OF DORSETSHIRE. With an engraved folding map of the county by Bowen, pages numbered 38-52, complete, disbound. London: Printed and Sold by W. Owen. 1759. £55.00
* Extracted from his work entitled "The Natural History of England.... "
- Masters and Boys of Sherborne School A GUIDE TO THE NEIGHBOURHOOD OF SHERBORNE AND YEOVIL. With 8 plates and a folding map in pocket at rear, (8) pages of adverts, xi + (1) + 125 + (8) pages of adverts, original cloth, 12mo, few small spots to cloth. Sherborne School Archaeological Society, Sherborne: 1925. £20.00
- Masters (James) SHAFTESBURY The 'Shaston' of Thomas Hardy. Including fourteen wood engravings with a memoir of James Masters and the High House Press by John R. Biggs. Illusts, (44)pp, dustwrapper. Shaftesbury: At the book in Hand. 1983. £15.00
* This is a reprint, with a memoir, of the edition published by The High House Press in 1932.
- Maxwell (Donald) UNKNOWN DORSET Being a series of unmethodical Explorations of the County illustrated in line and colour by the Author. xii + 208pp, sm 4to, original cloth, partly faded, untrimmed, usual light foxing. First edition, Bodley Head, London: 1927. £28.00
- Mayo (C.H) BIBLIOTHECA DORSETIENSIS Being a carefully compiled Account of Printed Books relating to the History and Topography of the County of Dorset. x + 296pp, 4to, original cloth. Limited to 100 copies. Originally published 1885. Reprinted 1996. £25.00
DORSET ANTIQUARIAN BOOKS
Not all of my books are on line.
For a further selection and to receive my latest catalogue please E-mail :- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Miles (William Augustus) A DESCRIPTION OF THE DEVEREL BARROW, Opened A.D. 1825. Also a Minute Account of the KIMMERIDGE COAL MONEY, A Most Mysterious and Nondescript Article. With two engraved and one printed title, and 8 engraved plates, viii + (3)-53pp, 4to, recent cloth, label on top board, slight spotting mainly to margins of plates. Cockers, Printers, Frome: 1826. £85.00 --- See sample text
- Milledge (Zillwood) HISTORIC NOTES OF ALL SOULS LODGE, No. 170, WEYMOUTH, 1767-1895. With 34 plates, including several portraits, xviii + 350 + errata leaf, untrimmed in the original qtr roan, cloth boards, 2" split to head of top outer hinge, otherwise sound. Sherren and Son, Weymouth: 1896. £55.00
- Mills (A.D) THE PLACE-NAMES OF DORSET. Maps, xxxvii + 384pp and maps, 298pp, 2 volumes of 3, dustwrappers. English Place Name Society 1977-80. £45.00
* These two volumes cover the Isle of Purbeck, the Hundreds of Rowbarrowe, Hasled, Winfrith, Culliford Tree, Bere Regis, Barrow, Puddletown, St. George, Cogdean, Loosebarrow, Rushmore, Comb Ditch, Pimperne, Badbury, Cranborne, Wimborne St. Giles, Knowlton, and Monkton up Wimborne.
- Mills (A.D), editor THE DORSET LAY SUBSIDY ROLL OF 1332. Folio, xxii + 123pp, few minor marks to printed card covers, lacks cloth spine. Dorset Record Society. Dorchester: 1971. £20.00
- Moore (Joseph), printed for THE HISTORY OF THE TOWN AND COUNTY OF POOLE; Compiled from Hutchin's History of the County of Dorset; With a Chronological List of Mayors from the Year 1490 to the Present Time. To which is added A Supplement, containing Several Curious and Interesting Particulars; with Many Additions and Corrections, By the Editor. 86pp, lacks errata leaf, recent marbled wraps, with label on top cover. Second edition. Printed for Joseph Moore, Bookseller, Poole. 1788. £155.00
* This edition was published in the same year as the first.
- Moule (H.J) DORCHESTER ANTIQUITIES. Vignette title, and textual illusts, 76pp, original cloth. Dorchester: Henry Ling, 1901. £18.00 --- See sample text
- Newman (J) and Pevsner (N) DORSET. (The Buildings of England Series) Map, numerous plates, 554pp, sm 8vo, slight wear to edges of dustwrapper. Reprinted, Penguin Books, Harmondsworth: 1973, £12.00
- Nightingale (J.E) CHURCH PLATE OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET, With Extracts from the Returns of Church Goods by the Dorset Commissioners of Edward VI. 1552. With 23 illusts, 216pp, roy 8vo, original cloth, rubbed to edges, a couple of ownership signatures to title-page. Salisbury: Printed by Bennett Brothers, Journal Office. 1889. £35.00 --- See sample text
* With a handwritten letter from the author tipped onto front endpaper to Hugh Norris, whose name is on the front endpaper
- Pearce (Robert) METHODISM IN PORTLAND And A Page of Church History. With 11 illustrations, x + 189 + 6 pages of publishers adverts, original cloth, slightly shaken, some relevant news cuttings pasted to front and rear pastedowns. London: Charles H. Kelly, 1898. £45.00
- Penn (K.J) HISTORIC TOWNS IN DORSET. Monograph Series No 1. Plans, 133pp, folio, original illustrated wraps. Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society. 1980. £12.00
- Peters (John), Colling (David and Ridley (Michael) BOURNEMOUTH THEN AND NOW. Numerous illusts, 224pp, dustwrapper. Blandford Press, Pool: 1978. £24.00
- Pickerin Pick (B), editor THE SHERBORNE REGISTER Fourth Edition. 1550 - 1950. With 2 Folding plans, lxxvi + 638, original cloth, slightly pulled to head of spine, stamp to title-page. Printed for the Old Shirburnian Society, Warren & Son Ltd., Winchester: 1950. £15.00
- Pigot and Co's PIGOT'S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE 1830. Lacks map, pages numbered 273 - 303pp, disbound with some pages loose. £30.00
- Pinion (F.B), editor BUDMOUTH ESSAYS ON THOMAS HARDY. Papers printed at the 1973 Summer School. 228pp, original printed card covers. The Thomas Hardy Society, Dorchester: 1976. £10.00
- Pitfield (F.P) DORSET PARISH CHURCHES A - D. Described and Depicted by F.P. Pitfield. Line drawings, plans, 232pp, folio, original cloth, ex-ref.lib. with stamp to front endpaper. NUMBERED LIMITED EDITION OF 595 COPIES. Dorset Publishing Company, Milborne Port: 1981. £16.00
* Signed by the author on title-page. With 66 churches described and illustrated from Abbotsbury to Durweston.
- Pitfield (F.P) THE BOOK OF BERE REGIS. Written and drawn by F.P. Pitfield. 123pp, folio, top cover gilt tooled, record office stamp to front endpaper, few small marks to endpapers. Privately Printed for the Subscribers by Dorset Publishing Company, Milborne Port: 1978. £22.00
* Signed by the author on the title-page.
- Pope (Alfred) THE OLD STONE CROSSES OF DORSET. With an introduction and Descriptive Articles. With 34 plates, a key-map of the County, 145pp, small 4to, untrimmed in the original cloth, very small hole to rear outer hinge, otherwise a nice copy. Second edition, Printed at the Chiswick Press, London: 1906. £55.00
- Popham (David and Rita) THE BOOK OF BOURNEMOUTH. Numerous illusts, cr 4to, 160pp, dustwrapper. Limited Edition. Includes 2 page list of subscribers. Buckingham: Barracuda Books Limited. 1985. £26.00
* Signed by the authors on the title-page.
- Portland Prison REPORT OF THE DIRECTORS OF CONVICT PRISON ON THE DISCIPLINE AND MANAGEMENT OF.... PORTLAND PRISON.... For the Year 1875. Pages numbered 353-428, complete, folio, recent card covers, London: H.M.S.O. 1876. £30.00
* This is the Portland Prison section extracted from a larger work. Contains extracts from the Governor's Report, the Chaplain's Report and the Medical Officer's Report.
- Purbeck Society PAPERS READ BEFORE THE PURBECK SOCIETY. 1858-57. Plates, illusts in the text, pages numbered 79-134, original printed wraps, name on top wrap, occasional foxing, lacks portions of spine from head and foot, slightly shaken. Printed by C. Groves, Wareham: 1857. £30.00
* Includes articles on Kimeridge Coal Money; Tumuli of the Chalk Range; Flower's Barrow.
- Purdy (Richard Little) THOMAS HARDY A Bibliographical Study. With 7 plates, iv + 388pp, spotty dustwrapper which has a short strip torn from the top, and a split where folded, page edges spotty. First edition, Oxford University Press, 1954. £15.00
- Robinson (C.E) THE ROYAL WARREN, or Picturesque Rambles in the Isle of Purbeck. Illustrated by A. Dawson. 10 plates, etched and 'photograved' and numerous textual illusts, 4to, xiv + 186pp, original buckram, t.e.g. others uncut, occasional light off-setting and foxing. London: Typographic Etching Company, 1882. £120.00
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments AN INVENTORY OF HISTORICAL MONUMENTS IN THE COUNTY DORSET Volume 1 - WEST DORSET. Folding coloured map in pocket at rear, 213 plates, 1 of which is coloured, folding diagrams and numerous diagrams in the text, lvii + 333pp, 4to, original cloth, dustwrapper is partly faded, slightly ragged to head and foor of spine and with a few short tears. First edition. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England). London: H.M.S.O. 1952. £60.00
* Includes:- Abbotsbury, Bridport, Cerne Abbas, Sherborne, Stratton, Compton Abbas, Thorncombe, Sandford Orcas, etc.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments AN INVENTORY OF HISTORICAL MONUMENTS IN THE COUNTY DORSET VOLUME TWO SOUTH EAST DORSET. Parts 1, 2, and 3. Folding maps in pockets at rear, 235 plates, folding diagrams and numerous diagrams in the text, 3 volumes, lxx + 188 and xviii + 189-418 and ix + 419-701pp, 4to, few short tears to slightly rubbed dustwrappers Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England). 1970. £125.00
* Includes:- Affpuddle, Corfe Castle, Dorchester, Lulworth, Poole, Portland, Studland, Swanage, Wareham, Weymouth, Winterbourne, Worth Matravers.
- Rumble (A.R), editor THE DORSET LAY SUBSIDY ROLL OF 1327. Dorset Record Society Publication No 9. Folio, xxxvi + 160pp, original card covers. Publication No 6. Dorset Record Society. Dorchester: 1980. £24.00
- Rylands (John Paul), editor THE VISITATION OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET, TAKEN IN THE YEAR 1623, By Henry St. George and Sampson Lennard, Marshalls and Deputies to William Camden. With 9 plates, vi + (i) + 115pp, roy 8vo, original cloth. London: Harleian Society. 1885. £78.00
- Sherren (James), printer THE ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO WEYMOUTH, PORTLAND, & the Adjacent Neighbourhood. With 6 vignette steel engravings, textual vignettes, 90pp, original decorative card covers, spine chipped, stitching pulled. Weymouth: Published by James Sherren, St. Mary Street, c.1858. £95.00
* This edition not in Mayo's Bibliotheca Dorsetiensis. On the top margin of the title is the ownership inscription:- 'Georgina Fane 1858.'
- Short (Bernard C) EARLY DAYS OF NONCONFORMITY IN POOLE. Plates, text illusts, [vi] + 76pp, original paper boards, spine rubbed, lacks approx. ¬" from head of spine, ex-record office stamps to prelims. Poole: J. looker, The Wessex Press, 1927. £15.00
- Smith (Harry P) HISTORY OF THE LODGE OF AMITY No 137, POOLE. With 47 plates, 2 of which are folding, 510pp, includes a list of subscribers, original cloth, ex-masonic library with a couple of stamps to endpapers. A nice copy. LIMITED TO 300 NUMBERED COPIES. Poole: J. Looker, 1937. £60.00
* With the bookplate of a mason to front endpaper.
Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries
A selection from my stock.
- Stoate (T.L), editor and publisher DORSET TUDOR SUBSIDIES Granted in 1523, 1543, 1593. xxiv + 256pp, folio, original cloth. T.L. Stoate, Almondsbury: 1982. £65.00
- Sturminster Marshall, transcribed by Edith Hobday REGISTERS OF STURMINSTER MARSHALL, Dorset. 1563-1812. 326pp, library style, early half morocco, cloth boards, spine slightly faded, with the original paper wraps bound in. Issued to Subscribers by Edward Alex. Fry and George S. Fry, 1901. £45.00
- Tarrant Hinton THE REGISTERS OF TARRANT HINTON, Dorset. 1545 - 1812. 75pp, qtr morocco, cloth boards in a library style binding, spine slightly faded. Privately Printed for the Parish Register Society. London: 1902. £38.00
- Trades Union Congress Published by THE BOOK OF THE MARTYRS OF TOLPUDDLE 1834 - 1934. Illusts, xv + 239pp, 4to, original half morocco, top edge gilt, rubbed to head and foot of spine, loosely inserted is a bookmark which doubles as a program for the centenniel events. First edition, London: The Trades Union Congress General Council, 1934. £35.00
- Traskey (J.P) MILTON ABBEY. A Dorset Monastery in the Middle Ages. Illusts, xi + 268pp, dustwrapper. First edition, Compton Press, Tisbury: 1978. £25.00
- Tribe (Tom) and Whatmoor (Philip) DORSET CLOCKS AND CLOCKMAKERS. Map endpapers, 38 plates, 234pp, dustwrapper. Oswestry: Tanat Books, 1981. £35.00
- Udal (John Symonds) DORSETSHIRE FOLK-LORE. With a fore-say by the late William Barnes. xi + 406pp, original card covers, few small spots to top cover. Second Edition. Toucan Press, St. Peter Port: 1970. £12.00
- Victoria County History, edited by R.B.Pugh VICTORIA HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Volume 3. With Index to Volume 2. With a frontis and double-page map, 189pp, small folio, slightly spotty dustwrapper, few small marks to endpapers. Oxford University Press, 1968. £45.00
* Mainly concerned with the Dorset Domesday and Geld Rolls.
- Victoria History, edited by William Page VICTORIA HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Volume 2. With 2 maps, a plan and 2 plates, xi + 370pp, 4to, original cloth, endpapers spotty. First edition, Archibald Constable, London: 1908. £40.00
* Includes chapters on:- Religious Houses, Maritime History and Social and Economic History, Agriculture, Hunting, etc.
- Wanklyn (C) LYME REGIS. A Retrospect. With plans, portraits, etc, some of which are folding, xi + 125pp, sm 4to, original qtr cloth paper boards, covers slightly spotty, paper label on spine partly rubbed. First edition, London: Arthur L. Humphreys, 1922. £65.00
- Wanklyn (C) LYME REGIS. A Retrospect. Numerous plates, some of which are folding, many coloured, xiv + 284pp, 4to, original cloth. A nice copy. Second edition, revised and enlarged. London: Hatchards, 1927. £135.00
- Wanklyn (Cyril) LYME LEAFLETS. With 4 plates, viii + 147pp, original buckram, ex-lib. with stamp and label to front pastedown, small labels to title-page. Privately Printed by Spottiswoode, Ballantyne, 1944. £35.00
* These are reprints of articles on Lyme Regis by Wanklyn which appeared in Somerset and Dorset journals and magazines between 1913 and 1943.
- Wareham Guide Committee compiled by AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO THE ANCIENT TOWN OF WAREHAM, Containing: 25 Photographic Reproductions and Descriptive Letterpress of its General History, Geology, Churches, Earthen Ramparts, Flowers, Sports and Pastimes. Etc. Illusts, adverts, 50pp, original printed boards, recent re-spined, retaining endpapers, corners of boards slightly rubbed, small mark to foot of top board. Bournemouth: Wareham Guide Committee, c.1900. £28.00
- Wareham REPORT ON THE CORPORATION OF WAREHAM. (Dorsetshire.) Title and pages numbered 1358-1362, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound. House of Commons, London: 1835. £15.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Warne (Charles) ANCIENT DORSET. The Celtic, Roman, Saxon, and Danish Antiquities of the County, including the Early coinage. Illustrated with plates and woodcuts. Also An introduction to the Ethnology of Dorset and other Archaeological Notices of the County, by Dr. T. William Wake Smart. Engraved plates, [x] + vi + [v] + xxiii + 343 + xiiipp, folio, original cloth, corners slightly rubbed, small hole to top outer hinge, splash mark to top board, some spotting top prelims. Printed for the Author, and Subscribers only. Bournemouth: 1872. £125.00
- Warren (Frank), edited by Antony Bird HONOUR SATISFIED A Dorset Rifleman at War 1916-1918 2nd Lieutenant Frank Warren. 109pp, dustwrapper, stamp to front endpaper. The Crowood Press, Swindon: 1996. £15.00
- Weinstock (Maureen), editor WEYMOUTH AND MELCOMBE REGIS Minute Book 1625-1660. Dorset Record Society. Publication No 1. 108pp, stapled, original paper wraps, label on top wrap, lacks cloth spine. Publication No 1 of the Dorset Record Society, Dorchester: 1964. £16.00
- Weymouth and Melcombe Regis Election REPORT FROM THE SELECT COMMITTEE on the Weymouth & Melcombe Regis Election Petition: Together with the Special Report from the said Committee; And also The Report from the Committee who were appointed to inspect the said Special Report. Folio, 56pp, uncut, original printed wraps, spine chipped. Ordered, by the House of Commons, to be printed, 1 March 1813. £55.00
- Weymouth and Melcombe Regis REPORT ON THE CORPORATION OF WEYMOUTH AND MELCOMBE REGIS, (Dorsetshire.) Title and pages numbered 1382-1395, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound. House of Commons, London: 1835. £18.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Weymouth Corporation WEYMOUTH The English Naples. Folding frontis, illusts, 48pp, adverts. original bevelled cloth boards. Hodd and Co., Middlesborough: c.1904. £28.00 --- See sample text
- Widen (Bertil) STUDIES ON THE DORSET DIALECT. Maps, 179pp, pages partly unopened, original printed wraps, top wrap slightly spotty. Williams and Norgate, London: 1949. £25.00
Back to the TopCopyright © Ambra Books - 2013. All rights reserved.
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :-
Tel:- ( 0117 ) 9076899
E-mail :- email@example.com
Bristol -- Cornwall -- Devon -- Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries --
Gloucestershire -- Somerset -- Wiltshire --
General ( Includes items of DORSET interest. )
DORSET Clearance List
DORSET :- Selection of items I wish to purchase
DORSET :- Selection of manuscripts, maps, ephemera etc. for sale from Lesley Aitchison.
AMBRA BOOKS Home page