DORSET - History, Topography and Genealogy
Antiquarian and Secondhand Books
This is a selection from my stock.
Please let me know if there are any other titles you are looking for.
Click on:- ORDERING details
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :- ( 0117 ) 9076899
Postage, packing and insurance are extra.
When ordering from this list please note item No., Author, and Title.
Payment can be made by either sterling cheque, or by bank transfer.
Prices are nett.
Click to go to:- DORSET Clearance List
- Almack (T.F) A VILLAGE HERITAGE The Story of Blandford St. Mary. With 11 plates, 3 folding plans, and a folding pedigree, vii + 83pp, few short tears to dustwrapper. Friary Press, Dorchester: (1961) £16.00
- Ashley (Harry) EXPLORE DORSET Its Coast, Countryside and Heritage. With photographs by David Golumb. Illusts, 104pp, original printed card covers. Second edition, Countryside Books, Newbury: 1988. £10.00
- Bankes (Viola) A DORSET HERITAGE The Story of Kingston Lacy. With 8 plates, 200pp, few small nicks to dustwrapper, spine of dustwrapper slightly rubbed. London: The Richards Press, 1953. £16.00
- Barnes (William) A GLOSSARY OF THE DORSET DIALECT with a Grammar. vii + (i) + 124 + (1)pp, 103pp, 12mo, original card covers, light stain to rear cover. First published 1886. Second Edition. Toucan Press, Guernsey: 1970. £20.00
- Barnes (William) POEMS OF RURAL LIFE in The Dorset Dialect. Third Collection. Engraved frontis, vignette half-title, viii + 133 + 16pp (publishers adverts), sm 8vo, untrimmed in the original cloth, portions chipped to head of and foot of faded spine, occasional light spotting to text, bookplate to front pastedown First edition, John Russell Smith,, London: 1863. £32.00
- Barnes (William), edited and with an introduction by Geoffrey Grigson. SELECTED POEMS OF WILLIAM BARNES 1800-1886. The Muses' Library. Frontis, x + 296pp, couple of short tears to dustwrapper, sm 8vo. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul. £16.00
- Beamish (Derek), Dockerill (John), Hillier (John) and Smith (Graham) AN ALBUM OF OLD POOLE. With 226 illusts, dustwrapper. Poole Historical Trust. 1975. £10.00
- Benfield (Eric) THE TOWN OF MAIDEN CASTLE. Illusts, 70pp, dustwrapper. Robert Hale, London: 1947. £18.00
- Bettey (J.H) THE ISLAND AND ROYAL MANOR OF PORTLAND Some aspects of its History with particular reference to the period 1750 - 1851. With 16 plates, map endpapers, 155pp, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper. The Court Leet of the Island and Manor of Portland, 1970. £18.00
- Bettey (J.H), editor THE CASEBOOK OF SIR FRANCIS ASHLEY J.P. RECORDER OF DORCHESTER 1614-35. xiii + 131pp, folio, original decorative printed wraps. Publication No 7 for The Dorset Record Society, 1981. £14.00
- Boswell (Edward) THE CIVIL DIVISION OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET, Methodically Digested and Arranged, comprising lists of The Civil Ministerial Officers, Magistrates, and Subordinate Officers; with a complete Nomina Villarum, in Four Parts; A List of the County and other Bridges; together with the Annual Value of Real Property; Amount of the Land-Tax; of the Poor's-Rate, and County Rate; the Population; and the Rules and Orders for Regulation of the Practice of the Quarter Session. Also, An Appendix.... Folding map, viii + ii list of subscribers + 192 + 98 + xxvipp, untrimmed in the early qtr cloth, paper boards, top board partly waterstained, internally sound, paper label on spine, signs where label removed from front endpaper. The Second Edition: Corrected, Augmented, and Improved. Dorchester: 1833. £95.00
- Braye (John), editor SWANAGE (Isle of Purbeck) Its History, Resources as an Invigorating Health Resort, Botany and Geology. Folding map of Purbeck, with a double-page geological map of Swanage, 13 plates and textual illusts, 119pp, original paper boards. London: William Henry Everett & Son, 1890. £40.00
- Brocklebank (Joan) VICTORIAN STONE CARVERS IN DORSET CHURCHES 1856-1880. With excerpts from the reports of the consecration ceremonies in the Dorset County Chronicle and other Sources. Plates, map endpapers, 72pp, 4to, slightly faded dustwrapper. Wimborne: The Dovecote Press. 1979. £24.00
- Burnett (David) A DORSET CAMERA 1855-1914. With 149 illusts, 4to, dustwrapper, cellotape stains to internal flaps of dustwrapper and to endpapers. The Dovecote Press, Wimborne: 1974. £10.00
- Burnett (David) DORSET BEFORE THE CAMERA 1539-1855. Drawings, Prints, Watercolours. With 134 illusts, 4to, dustwrapper, private ownership label to front endpaper. The Dovecote Press, Wimborne: 1982. £10.00
- Bysshe (Sir Edward), transcribed and edited by G.D. Squibb. THE VISITATION OF DORSET 1677. Made by Sir Edward Bysshe, Knight, Clarenceux King of Arms. xii + 124 + (19)pp, original cloth. Harleian Society, London, 1977. £28.00
- Camden (William), translated by Edmund Gibson DORSET. Extracted from Camden's Britannia. Lacks map, pages numbered 43-54, folio, disbound. London: R. Ware.... 1753. £18.00
- Chandler (John) A HIGHER REALITY. The History of Shaftesbury's Royal Nunnery. Illusts, diagrams, 168pp, dustwrapper. The Hobnob Press, Salisbury: 2003. £12.00
- Charities THE CHARITIES IN THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Selected from the Voluminous Reports of the Commissioners for Inquiring concerning Charities in England and Wales, which began the 58th Year of the Reign of Geo. III. and ended the 7th of Will. IV. Folio, 110pp + 5 - 182pp, contemporary half calf, marbled boards, leather label on spine, covers lightly rubbed, small strips torn from calf on corners, inner hinges partly cracked though sound, some spotting mainly to front and rear. London: Sold by James Newman. 1840. £85.00
* Not in Mayo's Bibliotheca Dorsetiensis. Consists of 'Report of the Commissioners.... ' and 'Further Report.... ' Originally issued as blue books, this is a re-issue with a new title-page. With the engraved armorial bookplate of Sir Edward B. Baker.
- Commins (J) COMMINS'S IMPROVED WEYMOUTH GUIDE. 96pp, sm 8vo, original printed card covers, very slightly chipped to head and foot of spine. Weymouth: Printed and Published by J. Commin, (1836) £85.00
* Not on Copac. A note on the top cover indicates that this edition was sold for One Shilling and there was another edition with an engraved frontis which sold for One Shilling and Sixpence. This is the One Shilling edition.
- Coulstock (Patricia H) THE COLLEGIATE CHURCH OF WIMBORNE MINSTER. Studies in the History of Medieval Religion 5. Plate, x + 267pp, original cloth. The Boydell Press, Woodbridge: 1993. £32.00
- [Criswick (J)] A WALK ROUND DORCHESTER; Containing An Account of everything worthy.... Also an Account of the Abbeys Of Milton, Cerne, and Bindon, together with Sherborne, Lulworth, and Corfe Castles. Engraved frontis, and folding map, xxvi + (i) + 125 + 4pp, untrimmed in recent half calf, leather label on spine, marbled boards, early owner's name on title-page, ink splash mark to one leaf slightly affecting a few words. Printed by and for J. Criswick, High-West-Street, Dorchester: 1820. £125.00
- Cutler (Rev. R) ORIGINAL NOTES OF DORCHESTER AND THE DUROTRIGES. 131 + (1)pp, 12mo, early cloth with the original card covers bound in. Early ownership names to front endpaper and front cover. Printed at the Dorset County Chronicle Office, Dorchester: 1865. £55.00
- Dorset Charities ABSTRACT OF THE RETURNS OF CHARITABLE DONATIONS for the Benefit of Poor Persons, Made by the Ministers and Churchwardens of the Several Parishes and Townships in England and Wales. 1786 - 1788. The Dorset section, folio, loose and unbound, 36pp. Ruled in columns:- Name of Hundred, Names of the Persons who Gave the Charity, When Given, Whether by Will or Deed, Description of the Charity, and for what Purpose given, Whether in Land or Money, In Whom Now Vested, Gross Amount, Annual Produce of the Money, Clear Annual Produce of that given in Land, and Observations. 1816. £40.00
* Not in Mayo's Bibliotheca Dorsetiensis.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by C.W.H. Dicker PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. Volume 32. With illusts, lxxvi + 251pp, original cloth, occasional light foxing. Dorchester: Dorset County Chronicle. 1911. £20.00
* Includes articles:- Saxon Saints at Wimborne; Dorchester Gallows; Sir George Somers; Memorial Brasses of Dorset; Calendar of Dorset Deeds, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by Henry Symonds PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. Volume 34. With illusts, lxxxii + 239pp, original cloth, small snag to top outer hinge. Dorchester: Dorset County Chronicle. 1913. £20.00
* Includes articles:- Bloxworth Church; Earthworks of Cranbourne Chase; Maumbury Rings; Memorial Brasses of Dorset; British Arachnida; Lepidoptera of Isle of Purbeck, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From May, 1921 to May, 1922. Volume 43. With illusts, xciv + 127 + (2)pp, original cloth, some damp spotting to top board. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1923. £20.00
* Includes articles:- Black Death in Dorset; Anglo-Saxon Mint at Bridport; Dorset Church Woodwork; Lyme Regis Bridge, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From May, 1924 to May, 1925. Volume 46. With illusts, xcii + 202pp, few marks to slightly warped original cloth. F.G. Longman, Dorchester: 1925. £20.00
* Includes articles:- Roman Aqueduct at Dorchester; Pre-Reformation Dorset Church Monuments; Holewale Brass at Askerswell; Portland Stone, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From May, 1927 to May, 1928. Volume 49. With illusts, cii + 238 + (3)pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1928. £20.00
* Includes articles:- Scenery of Dorset; Roofs of Dorset churches; West Woodyates Manor, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From June to December 1928. Volume 50. With illusts, cii + 317pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1929. £20.00
* Includes articles:- Disc Barrows of Dorset; Ancient Mural Paintings in Dorset churches; Dorset Deeds, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1929. Volume 51. With illusts, cii + 279pp, original cloth. F.G. Longman, Dorchester: 1930. £20.00
* Includes articles:- List of Coleoptera of Dorset; Chettle Down Earthwork; Effigies in Horton Church; Roman Coins from Jordan Hill, Weymouth, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1930. Volume 52. With illusts, cii + 166pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1931. £20.00
* Includes articles:- Hamworthy Peninsula; Agricultural Riots in Dorset; Dorset church dedications; Combs Ditch and Bokerley Dyke, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1931. Volume 53. With illusts, cvi + 306pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1932. £20.00
* Includes articles:- Religious Houses of Dorset; Excavations at Jordan Hill; Outer Bounds of Cranborne Chase; Dorset Deeds, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by E.C. Chancellor PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1933. Volume 55. With illusts, lxxvi + 284pp, original cloth is damp spotted, internally sound. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1934. £16.00
* Includes articles:- Abbotsbury Swannery; Dorset Charters; Abbots of Bindon; Dorset Deeds; Tolpuddle Martyrs, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by Jo Draper PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY. Volume 115 for 1993. Plates, diagrams, illusts, 295pp, original paper wraps. Dorchester: Friary Press, 1994. £6.00
* Includes articles:- Dorset Limekilns; Excavations at Hamworthy; Witchampton; Melbury Abbas, etc.
Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society
I HAVE MANY ODD VOLUMES IN STOCK.
Please let me know if there are any you require.
- Draper (Jo) A DORCHESTER CAMERA. With 211 illusts, 4to, dustwrapper, neat private ownership label to front endpaper. The Dovecote Press, Wimborne: 1984 £10.00
- Ellis (George Alfred) THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE BOROUGH AND TOWN OF WEYMOUTH AND MELCOMBE REGIS. Plate, v + 270 + 4 page list of subscribers.... Bound with.... Steward (G.T) A LETTER. 7pp. Printed by G. Kay, Weymouth: 1830. Early half calf marbled boards, later spine, marbled endpapers, occasional early ink underscoring and marginalia, some blanks before subscribers list. Weymouth: Printed and Published by B. Benson. London: Baldwin and Craddock, 1829. £175.00
* The printed letter by Steward points out 'inaccuracies' in the text which relate to properties, and Fee-farm rents owned by him and his father. His father had sold property to Sir William Pulteney.
- Eyton (Rev. R.W) A KEY TO DOMESDAY, Showing The Method and Exactitude of its Mensuration, and the Precise Meaning of its More Usual Formulae. The Subject Being Specially Exemplified By An Analysis and Digest of the DORSET SURVEY. 176pp, roy 8vo, original cloth, private ownership label to front pastedown. Taylor and Co., London: 1878. £36.00
- Farr (Grahame) WRECK AND RESCUE ON THE COAST OF DORSET. The Story of the Dorset Lifeboats. Illusts, 136pp, few light spots to dustwrapper. D. Bradford Barton, Truro: 1971. £18.00
- Floyer (John), Chairman of the Committee of Visitors GENERAL RULES FOR THE GOVERNMENT IN THE DORSET COUNTY LUNATIC ASYLUMS. 26 + 43 + 36 + 36 + 38 + 40 + 36 + 44 + 50 + 42pp, contemporary half calf, marbled boards, slightly rubbed, record office stamp to second blank. James Foster, Dorchester: 1866, £95.00
* Includes reports for 1856, 1857, 1859, 1860, 1861, 1862, 1863, 1864, 1865,
- Floyer-Acland (Egidia), Allan (Vivienne), and others. WEST STAFFORD MILLENIUM BOOK. Map, illusts, 259pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers, small ownership label to verso of top cover. Printed by Weyprint, Weymouth: 2000 £16.00
- Foster (J.J) WESSEX WORTHIES (DORSET) With some account of others connected with the history of the County, and numerous Portraits and Illustrations. With an Introductory Note by Thomas Hardy, O.M. With 31 plates showing 44 illusts, xviii + (ii) + 167pp, roy 8vo, original qtr cloth, paper boards, some light spotting cloth cloth, and paper on rear board partly discoloured. AUTHOR'S EDITION LIMITED TO 325 NUMBERED COPIES. London: Dickinsons, 1920. £40.00
* With the armorial bookplate of Godfrey Dru Drury, Corfe Castle to front pastedown, and with his signature, in pencil, to front endpaper.
- Fry (Edw. Alex.) DORSET CLERGY Being an Abstract of Eight Volumes of Clerical Subscriptions, and One of Presentations, in the Consistory Court of Bristol. Reprinted from Notes and Queries for Somerset and Dorset. 71pp, original wraps. J.C. and A.T. Sawtell, Sherborne: 1901. £15.00
- Gardiner (Rene) DORSET: TARRANT TO BLANDFORD. 24 coloured lithograph pages, some with descriptive text, small folio, original coloured lithographic wraps, protected in recent cloth boards, a half inch portion of the top wrap at the inner margin lacks paper surface. The Workshop Press: Blandford Forum: 1970. £40.00
* Rene Gardiner designed, drew, printed and published this work. 'The illustrations in this book are from drawings made directly onto lithographic aluminium plates. They are therefore originals and not reproductions of drawings made on paper.'
- Gibbons (A.O) CERNE ABBAS. Notes and Speculations on a Dorset Village. Illusts, folding map, vii + 104pp, few short tears to dustwrapper, news cutting tipped onto front endpaper, private ownership label to front pastedown. Inscription by the author on half-title. Longmans (Dorchester) Ltd., (1962) £15.00
- Good (Ronald) and Robinson (K.L) A GEOGRAPHICAL HANDBOOK OF THE DORSET FLORA. Including a Chapter on The Soils of Dorset With frontispiece and 42 maps, 255pp, 4to, original cloth, partly faded, ex-ref.lib. with label to front pastedown, and to title-page, number to spine. Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, Dorchester: (1948) £20.00
- Good (Ronald) THE OLD ROADS OF DORSET (new enlarged edition). With twenty-two maps. 4to, 166pp, original cloth, top board slightly warped. Horace G. Commin. Bournemouth: 1966. £25.00
- Good (Ronald) WEYLAND. THE STORY OF WEYMOUTH AND ITS COUNTRYSIDE. With illustrations by the author. 116pp, roy 8vo, original wraps. Second Edition. Dorchester: Longmans of Dorchester, The Friary Press, 1946. £20.00
- Grinsell (L.V) DORSET BARROWS. Plates, illusts, folding maps, 192pp, 4to, original cloth, couple of corners slightly bruised. Longmans, Dorchester: 1959. £32.00
- Hince (Kenneth) THOMAS HARDY. A Catalogue of the Kenneth Hince Collection of Books, and other Printed Material relating to Hardy's Life, Work, and Countryside. 92pp, small folio, spiral bound in the original printed wraps, which are protected by tranparent plastic, top plastic sheet slightly creased. Limited to 50 numbered copies. Second edition, revised, The Seven Creeks Press, Euroa: 1999. £12.00
- Hine (Richard) HISTORY OF BEAMINSTER. With Forty Illustrations and Maps. xii + 471pp, 4to, includes a 3pp list of subscribers, original cloth. Loosely inserted is an engraving of Beaminster Church. Taunton: 1914. £250.00
* Only 137 subscribers listed.
- Hodgson (C.H) and Bensly (W.J) THE SHERBORNE REGISTER Supplement, 1900-1921. xxii + 203pp, original cloth, stamp to front endpaper. Sherborne: F. Bennett, 1921. £15.00
- Hutchins (John) HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Compiled from the Best and most Ancient Historians, Inquisitiones Post Mortem, and other Valuable Records and MSS.... With a Copy of Domesday Book and the Inquisitio Gheldi for the County: Interspersed with Some Remarkable Particulars of Natural History.... Volume 4 only. Third Edition, Corrected, Augmented, and Improved, by William Shipp and James Whitworth Hodson. With 19 full page engraved plates, numerous pedigrees and engravings in the text, 534 + clxiii + (1)pp, folio, untrimmed in half morocco, cloth sides, couple of leaves and a few plates lightly waterstained, raised bands, penultimate leaf has several tears, is partly waterstained and has been neatly repaired. Westminster: Printed by John Bowyer Nichols, 1870. £200.00
* With the Indices of Places, Persons, Arms, for the complete set of 4 volumes. This volume includes the Hundreds of Cerne, Totbury, Modbury, Redlane, Sherborne, Sturminster Newton, Whiteway, and Yetminster.
- Hutchins (John) HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Compiled from the Best and most Ancient Historians, Inquisitiones Post Mortem, and other Valuable Records and MSS.... Volume 3 only. Third Edition, Corrected, Augmented, and Improved, by William Shipp and James Whitworth Hodson. With 33 of 34 full page engraved plates, lacks the plate of Kingston Lacy House, numerous pedigrees and engravings in the text, 755pp, folio, untrimmed in early buckram, lightly faded and rubbed, leather label on spine, a few plates lightly waterstained to margins. Westminster: Printed by John Bowyer Nichols, 1868. £180.00
* Includes the Town and Borough of Shaftesbury, and the Hundreds of Badbury, Cogdean, Cranborne, Knowlton, Loosebarrow, Sixpenny Handley; Upwinborne, Wimborne St. Giles, Brownshal, Buckland Newton, Liberty of Gillingham, and Liberty of Sturminster Marshal.
- Huxtable (Rev. A) A LECTURE ON THE SCIENCE AND APPLICATION OF MANURES; With an Appendix. 50pp, later half cloth, marbled endpapers, paper label on spine, ex-lib with labels to front endpapers. Second Edition, London: James Ridgway, 1847. £30.00
* Huxtable was the Rector of Hutton Waldron, Dorset when he wrote this work.
- Hyland (Paul) PURBECK The Ingrained Island. With photographs by Bob Groves. 240pp, dustwrapper. London: Victor Gollancz Ltd. 1978. £14.00
- James (Jude) WIMBORNE MINSTER The History of a Country Town. Numerous illusts, 87 + (9)pp, dustwrapper. The Dovecote Press, Wimborne: 1982. £24.00
* Signed inscription from the author on the front endpaper.
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE 1920. With map, xxii + 372 + 73 pages of adverts, original cloth, rubbed, top outer hinge partly split, covers partly faded and spotty, map partly torn at folds and creased, lacks title-page. Kelly's Directories Ltd., London: 1923. £35.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF DORSET 1939. With coloured folding map, 37 + xviii + 424pp, library style binding in qtr calf, no labels or stamps, with number to foot of spine, slight staining to lower margins of a few leaves. London: Kelly's Directories Ltd. 1939. £60.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF WEYMOUTH, PORTLAND and Neighbourhood. xii + 16 + 408pp, original printed card covers, lightly rubbed to edges. Kelly's Directories Ltd., London: 1958. £30.00
- Legg (Rodney) THE BOOK OF LYME REGIS the Story of Dorset's Western Spa. Illusts, 151pp, 4to, dustwrapper. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 2003. £28.00
- Mansel-Pleydell (J.C) THE MOLLUSCA OF DORSETSHIRE. (Marine, Estuarine, Freshwater, and Land.) and The Brachiopoda. Folding map, xxxii + 110pp, original cloth, few spots to rear board, short tear to map. Dorchester: "Dorchester County Chronicle", 1898. £45.00
* Presentation inscription from the author on front endpaper.
- Masters and Boys of Sherborne School A GUIDE TO THE NEIGHBOURHOOD OF SHERBORNE AND YEOVIL. With 8 plates and a folding map in pocket at rear, (8) pages of adverts, xi + (1) + 125 + (8) pages of adverts, original cloth, 12mo, few small spots to cloth. Sherborne School Archaeological Society, Sherborne: 1925. £20.00
- Masters (James) SHAFTESBURY The 'Shaston' of Thomas Hardy. Including fourteen wood engravings with a memoir of James Masters and the High House Press by John R. Biggs. Illusts, (44)pp, dustwrapper. Shaftesbury: At the book in Hand. 1983. £15.00
* This is a reprint, with a memoir, of the edition published by The High House Press in 1932.
- Maxwell (Donald) UNKNOWN DORSET Being a series of unmethodical Explorations of the County illustrated in line and colour by the Author. xii + 208pp, sm 4to, original cloth, partly faded, untrimmed, usual light foxing. First edition, Bodley Head, London: 1927. £28.00
- Mayo (C.H) BIBLIOTHECA DORSETIENSIS Being a carefully compiled Account of Printed Books relating to the History and Topography of the County of Dorset. x + 296pp, 4to, original cloth. Limited to 100 copies. Originally published 1885. Reprinted 1996. £25.00
DORSET ANTIQUARIAN BOOKS
Not all of my books are on line.
For a further selection and to receive my latest catalogue please E-mail :- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Miles (William Augustus) A DESCRIPTION OF THE DEVEREL BARROW, Opened A.D. 1825. Also a Minute Account of the KIMMERIDGE COAL MONEY, A Most Mysterious and Nondescript Article. With two engraved and one printed title, and 8 engraved plates, viii + (3)-53pp, 4to, recent cloth, label on top board, slight spotting mainly to margins of plates. Cockers, Printers, Frome: 1826. £85.00 --- See sample text
- Mills (A.D) THE PLACE-NAMES OF DORSET. Maps, xxxvii + 384pp and maps, 298pp, 2 volumes of 3, dustwrappers. English Place Name Society 1977-80. £45.00
* These two volumes cover the Isle of Purbeck, the Hundreds of Rowbarrowe, Hasled, Winfrith, Culliford Tree, Bere Regis, Barrow, Puddletown, St. George, Cogdean, Loosebarrow, Rushmore, Comb Ditch, Pimperne, Badbury, Cranborne, Wimborne St. Giles, Knowlton, and Monkton up Wimborne.
- Mills (A.D), editor THE DORSET LAY SUBSIDY ROLL OF 1332. Folio, xxii + 123pp, original printed card covers. Dorset Record Society. Dorchester: 1971. £20.00
- Moore (Joseph), printed for THE HISTORY OF THE TOWN AND COUNTY OF POOLE; Compiled from Hutchin's History of the County of Dorset; With a Chronological List of Mayors from the Year 1490 to the Present Time. To which is added A Supplement, containing Several Curious and Interesting Particulars; with Many Additions and Corrections, By the Editor. 86pp, lacks errata leaf, recent marbled wraps, with label on top cover. Second edition. Printed for Joseph Moore, Bookseller, Poole. 1788. £155.00
* This edition was published in the same year as the first.
- Moule (H.J) DORCHESTER ANTIQUITIES. Vignette title, and textual illusts, 76pp, original cloth. Dorchester: Henry Ling, 1901. £18.00 --- See sample text
- Newman (J) and Pevsner (N) DORSET. (The Buildings of England Series) Map, numerous plates, 554pp, sm 8vo, slight wear to edges of dustwrapper. Reprinted, Penguin Books, Harmondsworth: 1973, £12.00
- Nuttall (G.F), editor LETTERS OF JOHN PINNEY 1679 - 1699. With a Forward by Lady Pinney. Frontis, xxii + 130 + (vi)pp, original cloth, light foxing to prelims, ownership inscription to front endpaper. Oxford University Press, 1939. £25.00
* Mainly relating to John Pinney of Bettiscombe, Dorset, covering the period 1666 - 1705.
- Oswald (Arthur) COUNTRY HOUSES OF DORSET. With 200 illustrations from photographs and a map, xxiv + 104pp, roy. 8vo, slightly rubbed to edges of dustwrapper, few short tears and small portion missing to top of dustwrapper. First edition, London: Country Life Ltd., 1935. £34.00
- Pearce (Robert) METHODISM IN PORTLAND And A Page of Church History. With 11 illustrations, x + 189 + 6 pages of publishers adverts, original cloth, slightly shaken, some relevant news cuttings pasted to front and rear pastedowns. London: Charles H. Kelly, 1898. £45.00
- Penn (K.J) HISTORIC TOWNS IN DORSET. Monograph Series No 1. Plans, 133pp, folio, original illustrated wraps. Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society. 1980. £12.00
- Peters (John), Colling (David and Ridley (Michael) BOURNEMOUTH THEN AND NOW. Numerous illusts, 224pp, dustwrapper. Blandford Press, Pool: 1978. £24.00
- Pickerin Pick (B), editor THE SHERBORNE REGISTER Fourth Edition. 1550 - 1950. With 2 Folding plans, lxxvi + 638, original cloth, slightly pulled to head of spine, stamp to title-page. Printed for the Old Shirburnian Society, Warren & Son Ltd., Winchester: 1950. £15.00
- Pinion (F.B), editor BUDMOUTH ESSAYS ON THOMAS HARDY. Papers printed at the 1973 Summer School. 228pp, original printed card covers. The Thomas Hardy Society, Dorchester: 1976. £10.00
- Pitfield (F.P) DORSET PARISH CHURCHES A - D. Described and Depicted by F.P. Pitfield. Line drawings, plans, 232pp, folio, original cloth, ex-ref.lib. with stamp to front endpaper. NUMBERED LIMITED EDITION OF 595 COPIES. Dorset Publishing Company, Milborne Port: 1981. £16.00
* Signed by the author on title-page. With 66 churches described and illustrated from Abbotsbury to Durweston.
- Pitfield (F.P) THE BOOK OF BERE REGIS. Written and drawn by F.P. Pitfield. 123pp, folio, top cover gilt tooled, small private ownership label to front pastedown. Privately Printed for the Subscribers by Dorset Publishing Company, Milborne Port: 1978. £22.00
* Signed by the author on the title-page.
- Pope (Alfred) THE OLD STONE CROSSES OF DORSET. With an introduction and Descriptive Articles. With 34 plates, a key-map of the County, 145pp, small 4to, untrimmed in the original cloth, very small hole to rear outer hinge, otherwise a nice copy. Second edition, Printed at the Chiswick Press, London: 1906. £55.00
* It states that it is a second edition at the foot of the spine.
- Pope (Alfred) THE OLD STONE CROSSES OF DORSET. With an introduction and Descriptive Articles. With 34 plates, a key-map of the County, 145pp, small 4to, untrimmed in the original cloth, few small marks to covers, small snag to foot of top board. First edition, Printed at the Chiswick Press. 1906. £35.00
- Popham (David and Rita) THE BOOK OF BOURNEMOUTH. Numerous illusts, cr 4to, 160pp, dustwrapper. Limited Edition. Includes 2 page list of subscribers. Buckingham: Barracuda Books Limited. 1985. £26.00
* Signed by the authors on the title-page.
- Portland Prison REPORT OF THE DIRECTORS OF CONVICT PRISON ON THE DISCIPLINE AND MANAGEMENT OF.... PORTLAND PRISON.... For the Year 1875. Pages numbered 353-428, complete, folio, recent card covers, London: H.M.S.O. 1876. £30.00
* This is the Portland Prison section extracted from a larger work. Contains extracts from the Governor's Report, the Chaplain's Report and the Medical Officer's Report.
- Pridham (Dr. Llewellyn) THE DORSET COASTLINE. From a personal and photographic point of view. Photography by Edwin Kestin. Map endpapers, plates, 126pp, roy 8vo, dustwrapper, small mark to edge of dustwrapper, presentation inscription to front endpaper. Longmans (Dorchester) Ltd. c.195- £15.00
- Purbeck Society PAPERS READ BEFORE THE PURBECK SOCIETY. 1858-57. Plates, illusts in the text, pages numbered 79-134, original printed wraps, name on top wrap, occasional foxing, lacks portions of spine from head and foot, slightly shaken. Printed by C. Groves, Wareham: 1857. £30.00
* Includes articles on Kimeridge Coal Money; Tumuli of the Chalk Range; Flower's Barrow.
- Purdy (Richard Little) THOMAS HARDY A Bibliographical Study. With 7 plates, iv + 388pp, spotty dustwrapper which has a short strip torn from the top, and a split where folded, page edges spotty. First edition, Oxford University Press, 1954. £15.00
- Roberts (George) THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE BOROUGH OF LYME REGIS AND CHARMOUTH. With Several Embellishments. With folding coloured geological map, 5 plates 4 of which are folding, few textual illusts, xii + 385 + (ii) Index + (vi) List of Subscribers + (i)pp Additions, sm 8vo, original cloth. Numbered Limited Edition. Originally published in 1834. Reprinted, Lymelight Press, Lyme Regis: 1996. £35.00
- Robinson (C.E) THE ROYAL WARREN, or Picturesque Rambles in the Isle of Purbeck. Illustrated by A. Dawson. 10 plates, etched and 'photograved' and numerous textual illusts, 4to, xiv + 186pp, original buckram, t.e.g. others uncut, occasional light off-setting and foxing. London: Typographic Etching Company, 1882. £120.00
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments AN INVENTORY OF HISTORICAL MONUMENTS IN THE COUNTY DORSET Volume 1 - WEST DORSET. Folding coloured map in pocket at rear, 213 plates, 1 of which is coloured, folding diagrams and numerous diagrams in the text, lvii + 333pp, 4to, original cloth, dustwrapper is partly faded, slightly ragged to head and foor of spine and with a few short tears. First edition. Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England). London: H.M.S.O. 1952. £60.00
* Includes:- Abbotsbury, Bridport, Cerne Abbas, Sherborne, Stratton, Compton Abbas, Thorncombe, Sandford Orcas, etc.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments AN INVENTORY OF HISTORICAL MONUMENTS IN THE COUNTY DORSET VOLUME TWO SOUTH EAST DORSET. Parts 1, 2, and 3. Folding maps in pockets at rear, 235 plates, folding diagrams and numerous diagrams in the text, 3 volumes, lxx + 188 and xviii + 189-418 and ix + 419-701pp, 4to, few short tears to slightly rubbed dustwrappers Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England). 1970. £125.00
* Includes:- Affpuddle, Corfe Castle, Dorchester, Lulworth, Poole, Portland, Studland, Swanage, Wareham, Weymouth, Winterbourne, Worth Matravers.
- Rumble (A.R), editor THE DORSET LAY SUBSIDY ROLL OF 1327. Dorset Record Society Publication No 9. Folio, xxxvi + 160pp, original card covers, very small portion missing from top of top cover. Publication No 6. Dorset Record Society. Dorchester: 1980. £24.00
- Rylands (John Paul), editor THE VISITATION OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET, TAKEN IN THE YEAR 1623, By Henry St. George and Sampson Lennard, Marshalls and Deputies to William Camden. With 9 plates, vi + (i) + 115pp, roy 8vo, original cloth. London: Harleian Society. 1885. £78.00
- Sherren (James), printer THE ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO WEYMOUTH, PORTLAND, & the Adjacent Neighbourhood. With 6 vignette steel engravings, textual vignettes, 90pp, original decorative card covers, spine chipped, stitching pulled. Weymouth: Published by James Sherren, St. Mary Street, c.1858. £95.00
* This edition not in Mayo's Bibliotheca Dorsetiensis. On the top margin of the title is the ownership inscription:- 'Georgina Fane 1858.'
- Short (Bernard C) EARLY DAYS OF NONCONFORMITY IN POOLE. Plates, text illusts, [vi] + 76pp, original paper boards, spine rubbed, lacks approx. ¬" from head of spine, ex-record office stamps to prelims, signs where small label removed front foot of top board. Poole: J. Looker, The Wessex Press, 1927. £10.00
- Smith (Harry P) HISTORY OF THE LODGE OF AMITY No 137, POOLE. With 47 plates, 2 of which are folding, 510pp, includes a list of subscribers, original cloth, ex-masonic library with a couple of stamps to endpapers. A nice copy. LIMITED TO 300 NUMBERED COPIES. Poole: J. Looker, 1937. £60.00
* With the bookplate of a mason to front endpaper.
Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries
A selection from my stock.
- Stoate (T.L), editor and publisher DORSET TUDOR SUBSIDIES Granted in 1523, 1543, 1593. xxiv + 256pp, folio, original cloth. T.L. Stoate, Almondsbury: 1982. £65.00
- Stukeley (Rev. William) OF THE ROMAN AMPHITHEATER AT DORCHESTER. Large folding plan, viii + 16pp, folio, original wraps, recent cloth spine. TWO HUNDRED COPIES Printed in Facsimile. Originally published 1723. Reprinted 1925. £30.00
- Sturminster Marshall, transcribed by Edith Hobday REGISTERS OF STURMINSTER MARSHALL, Dorset. 1563-1812. 326pp, library style, early half morocco, cloth boards, spine slightly faded, with the original paper wraps bound in. Issued to Subscribers by Edward Alex. Fry and George S. Fry, 1901. £45.00
- Tarrant Hinton THE REGISTERS OF TARRANT HINTON, Dorset. 1545 - 1812. 75pp, qtr morocco, cloth boards in a library style binding, spine slightly faded. Privately Printed for the Parish Register Society. London: 1902. £38.00
- Trades Union Congress Published by THE BOOK OF THE MARTYRS OF TOLPUDDLE 1834 - 1934. Illusts, xv + 239pp, 4to, original half morocco, top edge gilt, rubbed to head and foot of spine, loosely inserted is a bookmark which doubles as a program for the centenniel events. First edition, London: The Trades Union Congress General Council, 1934. £35.00
- Traskey (J.P) MILTON ABBEY. A Dorset Monastery in the Middle Ages. Illusts, xi + 268pp, dustwrapper. First edition, Compton Press, Tisbury: 1978. £18.00
- Tribe (Tom) and Whatmoor (Philip) DORSET CLOCKS AND CLOCKMAKERS. Map endpapers, 38 plates, 234pp, dustwrapper. Oswestry: Tanat Books, 1981. £35.00
- Udal (John Symonds) DORSETSHIRE FOLK-LORE. With a fore-say by the late William Barnes. Frontis, xi + 406pp, dustwrapper. Originally published 1922. Facsimile edition, Dorset Books, Exeter: 1989. £15.00
- Victoria County History, edited by R.B.Pugh VICTORIA HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Volume 3. With Index to Volume 2. With a frontis and double-page map, 189pp, small folio, slightly spotty dustwrapper, few small marks to endpapers. Oxford University Press, 1968. £45.00
* Mainly concerned with the Dorset Domesday and Geld Rolls.
- Victoria History, edited by William Page VICTORIA HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Volume 2. With 2 maps, a plan and 2 plates, xi + 370pp, 4to, original cloth, without dustwrapper, endpapers spotty. First edition, Archibald Constable, London: 1908. £40.00
* Includes chapters on:- Religious Houses, Maritime History and Social and Economic History, Agriculture, Hunting, etc.
- Walbridge (A.A.G) ST. MARY BEAMINSTER A HISTORY. Illusts, 144pp, original pictorial card covers, a few amendments in ink, made by the original owner of the book, whose bookplate is to verso of top cover. Tipped in at the rear is a copy of a letter sent by him to the author with a note of the corrections. Walbridge Publications, Beaminster: 2002. £16.00
- Wanklyn (C) LYME REGIS. A Retrospect. With plans, portraits, etc, some of which are folding, xi + 125pp, sm 4to, original qtr cloth paper boards, covers slightly spotty, paper label on spine partly rubbed. First edition, London: Arthur L. Humphreys, 1922. £65.00
- Wanklyn (C) LYME REGIS. A Retrospect. Numerous plates, some of which are folding, many coloured, xiv + 284pp, 4to, original cloth. A nice copy. Second edition, revised and enlarged. London: Hatchards, 1927. £135.00
- Wareham Guide Committee compiled by AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO THE ANCIENT TOWN OF WAREHAM, Containing: 25 Photographic Reproductions and Descriptive Letterpress of its General History, Geology, Churches, Earthen Ramparts, Flowers, Sports and Pastimes. Etc. Illusts, adverts, 50pp, original printed boards, recent re-spined, retaining endpapers, corners of boards slightly rubbed, small mark to foot of top board. Bournemouth: Wareham Guide Committee, c.1900. £28.00
- Warren (Frank), edited by Antony Bird HONOUR SATISFIED A Dorset Rifleman at War 1916-1918 2nd Lieutenant Frank Warren. 109pp, dustwrapper, stamp to front endpaper. The Crowood Press, Swindon: 1996. £15.00
- Weinstock (Maureen), editor WEYMOUTH AND MELCOMBE REGIS Minute Book 1625-1660. Dorset Record Society. Publication No 1. 108pp, stapled, original paper wraps, label on top wrap, lacks cloth spine. Publication No 1 of the Dorset Record Society, Dorchester: 1964. £16.00
- Weymouth and Melcombe Regis REPORT ON THE CORPORATION OF WEYMOUTH AND MELCOMBE REGIS, (Dorsetshire.) Title and pages numbered 1382-1395, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound. House of Commons, London: 1835. £18.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Weymouth Corporation WEYMOUTH The English Naples. Folding frontis, illusts, 48pp, adverts. original bevelled cloth boards. Hodd and Co., Middlesborough: c.1904. £28.00 --- See sample text
- White (Howard) STONE AND SALVATION. The Comprehensive Centennial Story of Portland's Salvation Army. 151pp, original pictorial card covers, few small spots to top covers, small area rubbed to rear cover. c.1984. £12.00
* Includes a list of officers stationed at Portland from 1885.
- Widen (Bertil) STUDIES ON THE DORSET DIALECT. Maps, 179pp, pages partly unopened, original printed wraps, top wrap slightly spotty. Williams and Norgate, London: 1949. £25.00
Back to the TopCopyright © Ambra Books - 2015. All rights reserved.
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :-
Tel:- ( 0117 ) 9076899
E-mail :- email@example.com
Bristol -- Cornwall -- Devon -- Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries --
Gloucestershire -- Somerset -- Wiltshire --
General ( Includes items of DORSET interest. )
DORSET Clearance List
DORSET :- Selection of items I wish to purchase
DORSET :- Selection of manuscripts, maps, ephemera etc. for sale from Lesley Aitchison.
AMBRA BOOKS Home page