- Beale's Fancy Fair, Publisher
PHOTOGRAPHIC VIEWS OF BOURNEMOUTH AND NEIGHBOURHOOD
Sm. 4to, 42 photolitho views on extending strip (some full page, some 2, 4 or 6 to a page). Gilt title on front board. Map on back endpaper, lacks the back free endpaper with half the map.
* Includes two good views of Beale's shop.
of a term of 1000 years in premises in Bradpole, Miss Tomlyn to Henry Templer.
Large vellum sheet, size 23" x 29". 4 wax seals.
* The property was in Banack Street.
LEASE FOR A YEAR
of a tenement in Barrack Street in Bradpole, James Froom and Stephen Hussey to John Foot.
Large vellum sheet, size 16" x 27". 3 wax seals.
of William Straight of Bryanston, Gent.
2p., small folio, conjoint leaf had been used as address panel by Robert Gapper to send the will to John Long at Whalley, near Frome, with small round stamp with letters 'AP'. Conjoint leaf torn right across, splits down main fold, paper creased.
* Extracted copy with Probate details in Latin. Refers to his Manor of Compton in Wiltshire, messuage in Stourpaine.
- Caundle Bishop
of Mary Fry of Caundle Bishop, widow.
3p., folio, closely written.
* Leaves her estate at Caundle Bishop to her niece Ann Peacock, an allowance and a bedstead and quilt to her servant, a sum for paying for blankets and clothes to be given to six poor widows of the parish, on St. Thomas's day, and a bequest of £750 to her late grandson's two illegitimate children by 'Mrs Maria Munro who lived with him', to be paid to the Governor of the Island of Jamaica, for the purpose of 'placing them out as apprentices or otherwise for their advancement in the world.'
for a Lease of messuage and land at Alson, John Stevens of Axminster to Philip Griffith of Lyme Regis.
3p, folio, including 12-line schedule with names of fields. 2 small splits at folds, outer sheet dusty.
- Chardstock (Liberty and Manor of)
to William Bond of Axminster, Land Surveyor, to let a cottage and four acres called Purdishay in Chardstock. Granted at the Court Baron of the Rt. Hon. George Lord Auckland.
Vellum, 12«" x 15".
DORCHESTER AUGUST SHEEP & RAM FAIR
Catalogue of Messrs. Hy. Duke & Sons Sale... August 6th 1925.
Sheet size 16" x 8", folds, printed on one side in two columns, listing names of sellers, with location, for Dorset Down Ewes, Grazing Sheep, Dorset Horn & rossbred sheep, etc.
Ordnance Survey Map, Sheet 328.
Coloured map, with key and section, scale 1" to 1 mile, area between borders 13" x 19". Dissected and mounted on linen, folding into small 4to marbled wraps, with Stanford label.
* Shows Wareham, Puddletown, Cerne Abbas.
- East Burton and Wool
PARTICULARS, PLANS AND CONDITIONS OF SALE
of the Freehold Sporting and Agricultural Estate including East Burton Dairy and Brookhill Farm.... Trout and Salmon Fishing in the Frome.... which will be offered for Sale by Auction.... 21st September, 1929.
Folio, 22pp., large folding plan loosely inserted.
WILL AND CODICIL OF HENRY PETTY
Attested copy. 2p, folio. Ink slightly faded.
* Bequeathes his property in Evershott to three Trustees for the use of his wife.
- Fifehead Neville
of premises known as Home Farm, F. Wingfield Digby to E. Miller.
3p., sm. folio, typewritten, with coloured plan, scale 6" to a mile, on waxed cotton, size 10" x 9".
- Henbury Park, Charborough Park
ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP
Sheet XXXIV S.W.
Size 13" x 17" plus margins. Contours in Red. Provisional Edition.
Revision of 1926 with additions in 1938.
- Hinton St. Mary
of the will of Robert Foot of Hinton Saint Mary, yeoman, 1818.
3p, large folio, held at top left corner with tie, folded with docket title on cover leaf.
Probate copy of 1820.
* Bequeathes properties at Fifehead St. Quentin, his house at Hinton St. Quentin, house at Donhead St. Mary in Wiltshire, house at Brookhill in Donhead St. Andrew, etc. to his various children, watches to his grandchildren.
- Hinton St. Mary
of William Wadman of Hinton St. Mary, Carpenter.
1p., blank conjoint leaf. Signed by Wadman and three witnesses with wax seal.
of John Barns of Kingston in the Tything of Great Canford, yeoman.
Extracted copy of 1811 of will made 1804. 5p., folio, folded, cover sheet with docket title.
* The executors with William Recks and Hookey King. Bequeathes his estate to his wife, money to his grandchildren. Andrew Barns Burlington was to have his clock and his feather bed.
- Leigh and Yetminster
for sale and purchase of land at Leigh and Yetminster, Major F. Wingfield Digby and Mrs. E. King.
4p., folio, typed, small sketch map on tissue paper attached.
- Mabel Lucie Attwell
Here's Lots of Good Luck from Bournemouth.
Shows four postboys in blue carrying black cat in basket. Written in pencil but not used.
DORSET Manuscripts, Maps, Engravings, Ephemera, etc.
For a further selection and to receive my latest catalogue please
email :- email@example.com
- National Farmers' Union, Dorset County Branch
CALENDAR BLOTTER FOR 1932-3.
4to, stiff green covers with photo of County Chairman, 7pp of local adverts, plus calendar, and information on branches etc.
ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP
Sheet No. XVII.
Scale 1" to 1 mile, size 24" x 31", sea area hand-coloured in blue wash, yellow shading around coast. Dissected and mounted on linen, folding to large 4to, marbled endpapers. A red line has been drawn from the railway near Broadway to Abbotsbury.
* Covers Dorchester, Bridport, Lulworth Cove. The red line shows the railway branch line to Abbotsbury through Upwey, opened in 1885.
- Pouncy (B.T), engr. by
SOUTH EAST VIEW OF CANFORD CHURCH IN DORSETSHIRE
To Ralph Willett of Merly... this Plate Engraved at his Expence is Respectufully inscribed...
engraving size 8" x 12", plus wide margins. Good large view of the church from across the graveyard, small figure near one tomb. Two small ink blots just below plate mark.
- Rack Close, Sherborne
ABSTRACT OF TITLE
of Edward Earl Digby to a Close called Rack Close.... agreed to be exchanged with Messrs. Stevens & Fooks for a Piece of Land called Purly.
to John Rutter, Solicitor, Shaftesbury.
Aug. 11th 1845. From a John Gray at Croydon, who offers his services as a valuer, enclosing his card (not present). 1«p., 4to, address panel on verso, postmarks, wax seal.
* 'I have just finished one of upwards of 3000£ at Southampton, and can also refer to Messrs. Smyth of Liverpool...'.
of the Title of Wm. Flooks to premises in Half Moon St., next to the King's Arms Inn, agreed to be sold to G.D.W. Digby.
3p. folio, in manuscript, copy deed of covenant for production of title deeds enclosed, 3p.
Playbill 'Reg Lever presents his Annual Xmas Pantomime babes in the Wood...'
Card, size 12" x 8", printed in bright red, blue, yellow and green, with holes at top for hanging, picture of Babes with rabbits, signed W. Hemmings.
* Includes 'Trio Amadori Is it Human or Doll' 'The Dancing Skeletons' etc.
of Jane Spicer of Chard about James Wakley of Exeter, Chinaman.
Jane Spicer's niece had been Wakley's first wife. She says they had two children but they died in infancy. Manuscript, 1p. small folio.
* Possibly relates to a case where someone claimed to be a child of the first wife.
LEASE FOR A YEAR
of messuage at France in Stourpaine, George Long to John Parker, Surgeon, of Blandford.
Vellum, 12" x 24", very small wax seal.
advertising auction sale at the Golden Lion Inn, 15th September, 1852, of two cottages and premises, at Hewood Green in Thorncombe, late the property of William Hawker, deceased.
Printed in large type faces, size 18" x 12", folds.
Wills, Printer, The Axe Fishing Tackle & Gun Warehouse, Axminster. 1852.
for the division of property of the late William Boucher of Thornhill House, William Douglas of the East India Company, now residing at Madras, and George Baker of Warwick.
10p. folio, sewn at edge, folded with docket title, signed by Baker and Douglas's attorney. Attached with silk tape is Douglas's Power of Attorney to his Solicitors at Salisbury, 3p., large folio, thin blue paper, signed.
* Refers to Manor, Farms and Lands at Thornhill, together with lands lately purchased of the Marquis of Anglesey, as well as lands at Margaret Marsh, Lydlinch, Shaftesbury, and lands in Somerset.
in fee of several pieces of Ground in Wambrook allotted in respect of his Estates, John Beviss of Wambrook to Thomas Lawrence of Chard.
Two vellum sheets, vellum slightly browned, size 17" x 28", wax seals. Refers to allotments of Common ground of Wambrook under the Enclosure Act. Lists the plots by number according to the enclosure plan, and the tenements such as White's, Brown's, Warren's, Darby's, etc. qualifying Beviss for them. Loosely inserted is a lease for a year relating to the same transaction.
of a piece of land at Wareham at the south side of West Street, Revd. H. Capel to R.C. Hutchings of Wareham.
Vellum, 20" x 22", ink rubbed in parts.
to assign land at Pound Lane, John Calcraft of Rempstone Hall to Samuel Townsend of Wareham.
1«p., sm. folio.
HAWKES FREEMAN LIMITED
Bridge Cash Stores, Weymouth.
Leaflet advertising 5 types of Frister & Rossmann's sewing machines, 4pp., 8vo, 5 good large illustrations. Gives prices... together with... very small leaflet of the same Weymouth stores advertising the 'Kent' rotary knife cleaner, 4pp., illustration.
LIST OF PROPERTIES
Belonging to the Corporation.
16pp., 4to, printed in columns with Property, Lessee, Term of Lease etc. Vertical fold.
of Layout of the Weymouth Bay Estate. Estate Surveyors Jackson & Greenen, Bournemouth.
Coloured plan, size 20" x 34", showing plots above Overcombe Beach, proposed Cliff Walk and Gardens, Recreation Ground, Charlbury Lodge, Jordon Farm, Preston. Each plot numbered. Some stamped 'Sold'. Folded to 8vo.
Issued November 1926.
RELEASE FOR MAKING A TENANT
to the Freehold in Order to make a Recovery with Voucher, Samuel Braine, Mariner and Ann his Wife daughter of Thomas Ledoze, to James Syndercombe of Stratton, Dorset and others.
Refers to two messuages and gardens in the part of town called Melcombeside, adjoining lands belonging to the late dissolved Priory, and Governor's Street. 6p., folio. Copy made in 1796 of original release of 1739.
* Names many occupiers of properties adjoining the two properties, both previous and present.
PLAN OF WIMBOURNE MINSTER
copper engraved plan, covering the town from Walford Mill to Deans Court.
Size 13" x 10", clipped to edge on left side. With Reference table giving index to buildings. Small compass rose with face of sun.
n.d. late 18th century.
* Appears to have been taken from a book.
for Making Mr. Jo. Mitchell's Will.
Manuscript 2p., written presumably by John Mitchell, setting out the bequests he wishes to put in his will. With amendments and underlining, and eccentric spelling. Names of Executors added in a different hand (presumably by the lawyer.)
* Leaves to his wife Sarah 'all that Woodrow Estate with house and a strip of land ajoining at my desise and 2 Cowes... all my house goods', leaves to his daughter Mary Strange 'that Estate at Woonston with house and orchid thereto about 40 ackers', and to his other daughter land at Okeford called Longclose and Newcross.
Back to the Top
Or for further information contact Lesley Aitchison :-
Tel:- (0117) 9076899
Dorset Acts of Parliament --
Hampshire & Isle of Wight --
General ( Includes items of DORSET interest. )
Selection of items I wish to purchase
Selection of Dorset books for sale from Ambra Books.
LESLEY AITCHISON'S Home page
Copyright © LESLEY AITCHISON - 2018. All rights reserved.