DORSET - History, Topography and Genealogy
Antiquarian and Secondhand Books
This is a selection from my stock.
Please let me know if there are any other titles you are looking for.
Click on:- ORDERING details
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :- ( 0117 ) 9076899
Postage, packing and insurance are extra.
When ordering from this list please note item No., Author, and Title.
Payment can be made by either sterling cheque, or by bank transfer.
Prices are nett.
Click to go to:- DORSET Clearance List
- Abbott's ABBOTT'S ILLUSTRATED COUNTIES, DORSETSHIRE, Its History, Antiquities, Places of Interest, etc. A Complete, Concise and Exhaustive Story of Dorset from the Earliest Times to the Present Day. Numerous illusts, lacks map, 130pp, 4to, original cloth, inner hinges partly cracked though sound, private bookplate to front pastedown. The Guide Printing and Publishing Co., Southampton: 1896. £15.00
- [Allen (M)] A HISTORY OF FORD ABBEY, DORSETSHIRE, late in the County of Devon. Frontis., iv + 98pp, sm 8vo, original cloth, a.e.g., outer hinges rubbed, private bookplate to front pastedown. First Edition, Hamilton, Adams and Co., London: 1846. £28.00
- Ashley (Harry) EXPLORE DORSET Its Coast, Countryside and Heritage. With photographs by David Golumb. Illusts, 104pp, original printed card covers. Second edition, Countryside Books, Newbury: 1988. £4.00
- Bankes (Rt. Hon. George), M.P. for the County of Dorset. THE STORY OF CORFE CASTLE, and of many who lived there. Collected from Ancient Chronicles and Records; also from the Private Memoirs of a Family Resident there in the time of the Civil Wars.... Frontis, and 4 plates, 340pp, original cloth, partly faded, short split to head of top outer hinge, head of spine slightly chipped, occasional light spotting. London: John Murray, 1853. £80.00
- Bankes (Viola) A DORSET HERITAGE The Story of Kingston Lacy. With 8 plates, 200pp, few small nicks to dustwrapper, spine of slightly rubbed dustwrapper. London: The Richards Press, 1953. £10.00
- Barnes (William) A GLOSSARY OF THE DORSET DIALECT with a Grammar. vii + (i) + 124 + (1)pp, 103pp, 12mo, original card covers, light stain to rear cover. First published 1886. Second Edition. Toucan Press, Guernsey: 1970. £15.00
- Barnes (William) A PHILOLOGICAL GRAMMAR, Grounded upon English, and formed from a comparison of more than Sixty Languages. Being an introduction to the Science of Grammar, and a help to Grammars of all Languages especially English Latin and Greek. x + 312 + (2) pages of publisher's adverts, original cloth, edges slightly rubbed, small hole and small split to head of top outer hinge, private ownership to front pastedown. London: John Russell Smith, 1854. £85.00
- Barnes (William) FOLKLORE. Dorset Series No. 1. Frontis, 9pp, dustwrapper. Words Press, Dorchester: 1996. £9.00
- Barnes (William) POEMS OF RURAL LIFE in Common English. xii + 200 + (4 + 47) pages of (publishers adverts), sm 8vo, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, spine darkened, spine slightly darkened. First edition, MacMillan & Co., London: 1868. £28.00
- Barton (Colonel L.C) TOPOGRAPHICAL AND HISTORICAL GUIDE TO CORFE CASTLE in the Island of Purbeck, Dorset. With a folding frontis, and 2 folding plans, 48pp, sm 8vo, original printed paper card covers, neat repair to one marginal tear, pasted to front endpaper is a label for 'E.M. Miller & Co., General Drapers & Outfitters, Corfe Castle.' First edition, London: Ward, Lock & Co., 1885. £24.00
- Barton (R.N.E) HENGISTBURY HEAD. DORSET. Volume 2. The Late Upper Palaeolithic & Early Mesolithic Sites. Monograph No 34. Plates, diagrams, plans, and microfiche in pocket to rear, xii + 299pp, original pictorial laminated boards. Oxford University Committee for Archaeology, 1992. £35.00
- Battrick (Jack), Lawson (Gail) BROWNSEA ISLANDER Maps, illusts, 175pp, roy 8vo, dustwrapper, stamp to title-page. Poole Historical Trust. 1978. £6.00
- Beamish (Derek), Dockerill (John), Hillier (John) and Smith (Graham) AN ALBUM OF OLD POOLE. With 226 illusts, dustwrapper. Poole Historical Trust. 1975. £6.00
- Beaton (David) DORSET MAPS. Numerous illusts, many of which are in colour, 11pp, oblong 4to, couple of small nicks to head of spine of dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. Signed by the author on half-title. First edition, The Dovecote Press Ltd., Stanbridge, Wimborne: 2001. £25.00
- Benfield (Eric) THE TOWN OF MAIDEN CASTLE. Illusts, 70pp, endpapers partly faded, dustwrapper. First edition, Robert Hale, London: 1947. £8.00
- Braye (John), editor SWANAGE (Isle of Purbeck) Its History, Resources as an Invigorating Health Resort, Botany and Geology. Folding map of Purbeck, with a double-page geological map of Swanage, 13 plates and textual illusts, 119pp, original printed paper boards, spine slightly darkened. Second edition, London: William Henry Everett & Son, 1890. £28.00
- Brocklebank (Joan) VICTORIAN STONE CARVERS IN DORSET CHURCHES 1856-1880. With excerpts from the reports of the consecration ceremonies in the Dorset County Chronicle and other Sources. Plates, map endpapers, 72pp, 4to, slightly faded dustwrapper. Wimborne: The Dovecote Press. 1979. £24.00
- Camden (William) DVRORTIGES. DORSETSHIRE. Pages numbered 209-218 complete, small folio, disbound, last leaf loose, few short marginal tears, occasional spotting. This is the text from the 1610 edition of Camden's Britannia. London: 1610. £15.00
- Camden (William), translated by Edmund Gibson DORSET. Extracted from Camden's Britannia. Lacks map, text pages, complete, numbered 43-54, folio, disbound. London: R. Ware.... 1753. £14.00
- Charities THE CHARITIES IN THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Selected from the Voluminous Reports of the Commissioners for Inquiring concerning Charities in England and Wales, which began the 58th Year of the Reign of Geo. III. and ended the 7th of Will. IV. Folio, 110pp + 5 - 182pp, contemporary half calf, marbled boards, leather label on spine, covers lightly rubbed, small strips torn from calf on corners, inner hinges partly cracked though sound, some spotting mainly to front and rear. London: Sold by James Newman. 1840. £45.00
* Not in Mayo's Bibliotheca Dorsetiensis. Consists of 'Report of the Commissioners.... ' and 'Further Report.... ' Originally issued as blue books, this is a re-issue with a new title-page. With the engraved armorial bookplate of Sir Edward B. Baker.
- Commins (J) COMMINS'S IMPROVED WEYMOUTH GUIDE. 96pp, sm 8vo, original printed card covers, very slightly chipped to head and foot of spine. Weymouth: Printed and Published by J. Commin, (1836) £65.00
* Not on Copac. A note on the top cover indicates that this edition was sold for One Shilling and there was another edition with an engraved frontis which sold for One Shilling and Sixpence. This is the One Shilling edition.
- Cooke (Rev. J.H), editor SHILLINGSTONE The Story of a Dorset Village. With 7 plates, 123 + 7 +(i)pp, 12mo, original cloth lightly rubbed, dull, and slightly spotty. Published Privately, Printed by Butler and Tanner, Frome: 1921. £55.00
- Cox (Benjamin G) THE BOOK OF BLANDFORD FORUM. The Story of the Town's Past. Numerous illusts, 192pp, dustwrapper. Barracuda Books, Buckingham: 1983. £10.00
- Cox (Rev. Thomas) DORSETSHIRE. Extracted from Magna Britannia. Lacks the map, pages numbered 548-604, lacks the leaf of distance table as usual, disbound, occasional light foxing. London: E. and R. Nutt, c.1720. £30.00
* Includes sections on:- the various Boroughs; Natural History; Ecclesiastical History, etc.
- Cutler (Rev. R) ORIGINAL NOTES OF DORCHESTER AND THE DUROTRIGES. 131 + (1)pp, 12mo, early cloth with the original card covers bound in, early ownership names to front endpaper and front cover, bookplates to front endpaper. Printed at the Dorset County Chronicle Office, Dorchester: 1865. £45.00
- Dalton (Christopher) THE BELLS AND BELFRIES OF DORSET. 3 parts. Complete set. Numerous illusts, double-page map, xxxv + 316 and xlii-li + 317-626 and lviii-lxxiv + 627-1026pp, 3 volumes, 4to, all in the original pictorial card covers, bookplate to verso of each top cover. The bells are in alphabetical order by place-name. Upper Court Press, Ullingswick: 2000, 2001, 2005. £80.00
- Dewar (H.S.L), editor THE THOMAS RACKETT PAPERS 17th - 19th Centuries. With 7 illusts, 97pp, folio, paper wraps, label on top wrap. Publication No 3 of the Dorset Record Society. Dorchester: 1965. £15.00
- Dorset Charities ABSTRACT OF THE RETURNS OF CHARITABLE DONATIONS for the Benefit of Poor Persons, Made by the Ministers and Churchwardens of the Several Parishes and Townships in England and Wales. 1786 - 1788. The Dorset section, folio, loose and unbound, 36pp. Ruled in columns:- Name of Hundred, Names of the Persons who Gave the Charity, When Given, Whether by Will or Deed, Description of the Charity, and for what Purpose given, Whether in Land or Money, In Whom Now Vested, Gross Amount, Annual Produce of the Money, Clear Annual Produce of that given in Land, and Observations. 1816. £25.00
* Not in Mayo's Bibliotheca Dorsetiensis.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From May, 1924 to May, 1925. Volume 46. With illusts, xcii + 202pp, few marks to slightly warped original cloth. F.G. Longman, Dorchester: 1925. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Roman Aqueduct at Dorchester; Pre-Reformation Dorset Church Monuments; Holewale Brass at Askerswell; Portland Stone, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From June to December 1928. Volume 50. With illusts, cii + 317pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1929. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Disc Barrows of Dorset; Ancient Mural Paintings in Dorset churches; Dorset Deeds, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1931. Volume 53. With illusts, cvi + 306pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1932. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Religious Houses of Dorset; Excavations at Jordan Hill; Outer Bounds of Cranborne Chase; Dorset Deeds, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by E.C. Chancellor PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1933. Volume 55. With illusts, lxxvi + 284pp, original cloth is damp spotted, internally sound. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1934. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Abbotsbury Swannery; Dorset Charters; Abbots of Bindon; Dorset Deeds; Tolpuddle Martyrs, etc.
Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society
I HAVE MANY ODD VOLUMES IN STOCK.
Please let me know if there are any you require.
- Dorset Parish Registers, edited by W.P.W. Phillimore and Edmund Nevill. DORSETSHIRE PARISH REGISTERS. MARRIAGES. Volume 3. 152pp, original buckram, partly faded, private bookplate to front pastedown. Limited to 150 Copies, initialled by Phillimore. London: Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 1908. £45.00
* Marriages celebrated in each Parish from the first entry up to the year 1812. Contains the Parishes of Beaminster (up to 1685), Lyme Regis, Broadwindsor, Great Toller, Halstock, Frome Vauchurch, Wraxall, Cerne Abbas, Up Cerne (up to 1811).
- Draper (Jo) A DORCHESTER CAMERA. With 211 illusts, 4to, dustwrapper, neat private ownership label to front endpaper. The Dovecote Press, Wimborne: 1984 £8.00
* Signed by the author on the title-page.
- Draper (Jo), photographs by David Bailey DORSET BARNS. Numerous coloured photographs, 144pp, oblong 4to, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. The Dovecote Press, Stanbridge, Wimborne: 2010. £18.00
- Dugdale (Giles) WILLIAM BARNES OF DORSET. With 9 plates, xii + 306pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed, lettering feint on spine, news cutting concerning the death of the author pasted to front endpaper, inscription on front endpaper. First edition, Cassell & Company Ltd. 1953. £10.00
- Eedle (Marie de G) A HISTORY OF BEAMINSTER. Frontis, 40 plates, and 13 line drawings and sketch maps, 227 + (3)pp list of subscribers, roy 8vo, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown, and presentation inscription to front endpaper. Phillimore, Chichester: 1984. £12.00
- Ellis (George Alfred) THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE BOROUGH AND TOWN OF WEYMOUTH AND MELCOMBE REGIS. Plate, v + 270 + 4 page list of subscribers.... Bound with.... Steward (G.T) A LETTER. 7pp. Printed by G. Kay, Weymouth: 1830. Early half calf marbled boards, later spine, marbled endpapers, occasional early ink underscoring and marginalia, some blanks before subscribers list. Weymouth: Printed and Published by B. Benson. London: Baldwin and Craddock, 1829. £145.00
* The printed letter by Steward points out 'inaccuracies' in the text which relate to properties, and Fee-farm rents owned by him and his father. His father had sold property to Sir William Pulteney.
- Eyton (Rev. R.W) A KEY TO DOMESDAY, Showing The Method and Exactitude of its Mensuration, and the Precise Meaning of its More Usual Formulae. The Subject Being Specially Exemplified By An Analysis and Digest of the DORSET SURVEY. 176pp, roy 8vo, original cloth, private ownership label to front pastedown. Taylor and Co., London: 1878. £20.00
- Farr (Grahame) WRECK AND RESCUE ON THE COAST OF DORSET. The Story of the Dorset Lifeboats. Illusts, 136pp, few light spots to rear of dustwrapper. D. Bradford Barton, Truro: 1971. £10.00
- Fowler (Joseph) MEDIAEVAL SHERBORNE. Taken for the most part from original Sherborne documents at S. Mary's Abbey church. the Castle, the Almshouse, the School, and the Digby Estate..... Illusts., 409pp + xvi, roy 8vo, original qtr cloth, printed paper boards, head of spine partly faded, repair to one lower margin few small portions missing from edges of dustwrapper which is in a protective sleeve. Longmans (Dorchester) Ltd., 1951. £45.00 --- See sample text
- Fowler (Joseph) SHERBORNE BEHIND THE SEA. A Description of Sherborne Scenery, Its Nature and History In Its Relation to the Underlying Rocks.... The Origin of Dry Valleys; The History of the River Yeo and the Formation of its Valley at Sherborne. Illustrated by Hubert Jones. 87pp, 4to, original qtr cloth paper boards, few spots to top of top board. J.C. & A.T. Sawtell, Ltd., Sherborne: 1936. £15.00 --- See sample text
- Gibb (J.H.P) THE BOOK OF SHERBORNE. Numerous illusts, 144pp, cr. 4to, dustwrapper. Numbered Limited Edition. Includes 3 page list of subscribers. Buckingham: Barracuda Books Ltd. 1981. £20.00
- Good (Ronald) and Robinson (K.L) A GEOGRAPHICAL HANDBOOK OF THE DORSET FLORA. Including a Chapter on The Soils of Dorset With frontispiece and 42 maps, 255pp, 4to, original cloth, partly faded, ex-ref.lib. with label to front pastedown, and to title-page, number to spine. Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, Dorchester: (1948) £10.00
- Good (Ronald) WEYLAND. THE STORY OF WEYMOUTH AND ITS COUNTRYSIDE. With illustrations by the author. 116pp, roy 8vo, original wraps. Second Edition. Dorchester: Longmans of Dorchester, The Friary Press, 1946. £10.00
- Graham (P. Anderson), editor IWERNE MINSTER Before, During, And After The Great War.... And authorised extracts from Thomas Hardy, O.M., and Heywood Sumner, F.S.A. Illusts, 124pp, 4to, untrimmed in full brown leather, spine and portion of top board faded, first and last leaf lightly browned. Numbered Limited Edition of 500 Copies. Printed for Private Circulation. (1923) £170.00 --- See sample text
* Most copies of this work we have seen have been in cloth, this is only the third one we have encountered in leather. Signed presentation copy from James Ismay (some of whose letters form a chapter of the book), to Charles, J. Jefferies.
- Grinsell (L.V) DORSET BARROWS. Plates, illusts, folding maps, 192pp, 4to, original cloth. Longmans, Dorchester: 1959. £25.00
- [Hall (P)] AN HISTORICAL AND DESCRIPTIVE GUIDE TO THE TOWN OF WIMBORNE MINSTER.... With a Particular Account of the Collegiate Church of St. Cuthberge, Queen Elizabeth's Free Grammar School, The Chapel of St. Margaret.... With a frontis and two plates, 60pp, original cloth partly faded. Second Edition. Wimborne: Alfred Purkis, Church Street. London: Longman, Brown, Green, and Co. 1853. £75.00
- Hawkins (Jennifer) THE POOLE POTTERIES Illusts, 224pp, dustwrapper. Barrie and Jenkins, London: 1980. £22.00
- Hill (Michael) WEST DORSET COUNTRY HOUSES Map, plans, coloured and black and white illusts, 431pp, 4to, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. Spire Books Ltd., Reading: 2014. £48.00
* 'Major houses include Milton Abbey built alongside a vast monastic church and a rare example of Sir William Chambers' Gothick style. Its chief rival is the startlingly original Sherborne Castle, left incomplete by Sir Walter Raleigh at his execution. More than 40 further equally entrancing major houses, are explained and a further 80 are catalogued in a comprehensive gazetteer.... '
- Hill (Shelagh) THE BOOK OF YETMINSTER A Changing Village. Numerous illusts, 160pp, 4to, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 2005. £16.00
- Hine (Richard) HISTORY OF BEAMINSTER. With Forty Illustrations and Maps. xii + 471pp, 4to, includes a 3pp list of subscribers, original cloth. Loosely inserted is an engraving of Beaminster Church. Barnicott and Pearce, The Wessex Press, Taunton: 1914. £150.00
* Only 137 subscribers listed.
- Homer (G. Wood) NOTES ON NORTH AMERICA AND ITS AGRICULTURE. With a few hints to intending emigrants, Also a brief history of Milborne St. Andrew Farmers' Club. by H.J. Standfield. Plate, adverts, xiv + 65pp, original cloth, few small spots to rear cover. Dorchester "Dorset County Chronicle" Printing Works, 1906. £35.00
- Hutchins (John) HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE COUNTY OF DORSETSHIRE. With a large folding map, and 56 of 58 full page copper-plate engravings, and with other engravings in the text, numerous pedigrees 10 of which are folding, lxxx + 618 and 528 + 61 (indices and list of plates, folio, list of subscribers, contemporary diced calf gilt, a couple of scratch marks on boards, covers slightly rubbed to edges, margins of 2 plates shaved, few short tears to fore-edge of one title-page, two early ownership names in ink on title-page, plate of maze has 3 tears neatly repaired to verso. First edition, London: Printed by W. Bowyer and J. Nichols, 1774. £850.00
- Hutchins (John) HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Compiled from the Best and most Ancient Historians, Inquisitiones Post Mortem, and other Valuable Records and MSS.... Volume 3 only. Third Edition, Corrected, Augmented, and Improved, by William Shipp and James Whitworth Hodson. With 33 of 34 full page engraved plates, lacks the plate of Kingston Lacy House, numerous pedigrees and engravings in the text, 755pp, folio, untrimmed in early buckram, lightly faded and rubbed, leather label on spine, a few plates lightly waterstained to margins. Westminster: Printed by John Bowyer Nichols, 1868. £180.00
* Includes the Town and Borough of Shaftesbury, and the Hundreds of Badbury, Cogdean, Cranborne, Knowlton, Loosebarrow, Sixpenny Handley; Upwinborne, Wimborne St. Giles, Brownshal, Buckland Newton, Liberty of Gillingham, and Liberty of Sturminster Marshal.
- Hutchins (John), Shipp (W) and Hodson (J.W) HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. With a new Introduction by Robert Douch. With plates, numerous pedigrees and textual illusts, folio, 4 volumes, neat repair to verso of short tear in one dustwrapper. Loosely inserted is the original 8 page prospectus. Originally published 1861 - 1870. Facsimile reprint. E.P. Publishing Ltd, Wakefield: 1973. £500.00
- Huxtable (Rev. A) A LECTURE ON THE SCIENCE AND APPLICATION OF MANURES; With an Appendix. 50pp, later half cloth, marbled endpapers, paper label on spine, ex-ref.lib with labels to front endpapers. Second Edition, London: James Ridgway, 1847. £20.00
* Huxtable was the Rector of Hutton Waldron, Dorset when he wrote this work.
- James (Jude) WIMBORNE MINSTER The History of a Country Town. Numerous illusts, 87 + (9)pp, dustwrapper. The Dovecote Press, Wimborne: 1982. £14.00
* Signed inscription from the author on the front endpaper.
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE 1915. Lacks title-page, front endpaper, and map, xix + 371 + 48pp, original cloth, partly faded, splash marks on front board, 2 short splits to top outer hinge, head and foot of spine rubbed. Kellys Directories, London: 1915. £30.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE 1920. With map, xxii + 372 + 73 pages of adverts, original cloth, worn and rubbed, top outer hinge partly split, covers partly faded and spotty, map partly torn at folds and creased, lacks title-page. Kelly's Directories Ltd., London: 1923. £25.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE 1927. With folding map, 23 pages of adverts, xvi + 400 + 2 pages of adverts, later copy, no title-page as it has been extracted froma multi county work. London: Kelly's Directories Ltd. 1927. £40.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF DORSET 1939. With coloured folding map, 37 + xviii + 424pp, library style binding in qtr calf, no labels or stamps, with number to foot of spine, slight staining to lower margins of a few leaves. London: Kelly's Directories Ltd. 1939. £30.00
- Legg (Rodney) THE BOOK OF LULWORTH. A Changing Village. Numerous illusts, 160pp, 4to, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 2002. £16.00
- Legg (Rodney) THE BOOK OF LYME REGIS the Story of Dorset's Western Spa. Illusts, 151pp, 4to, dustwrapper. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 2003. £25.00
- Mansel-Pleydell (J.C) THE MOLLUSCA OF DORSETSHIRE. (Marine, Estuarine, Freshwater, and Land.) and The Brachiopoda. Folding map, xxxii + 110pp, original cloth, few spots to rear board, short tear to map. Dorchester: "Dorchester County Chronicle", 1898. £30.00
* Presentation inscription from the author on front endpaper.
- Mansel-Pleydell (John Clavell) FLORA OF DORSETSHIRE, or A Catalogue of Plants found in the County of Dorset. With Sketches of its Geology and Physical Geography. With folding map, ii + 320pp, original buckram, lightly rubbed to edges, few marks to rear board, private bookplate to front pastedown, early ownership name, and date, to front endpaper. First Edition. London & Blandford: 1874. £35.00
- Masters and Boys of Sherborne School A GUIDE TO THE NEIGHBOURHOOD OF SHERBORNE AND YEOVIL. With 8 plates and a folding map in pocket at rear, (8) pages of adverts, xi + (1) + 125 + (8) pages of adverts, original cloth, 12mo, few small spots to cloth. Sherborne School Archaeological Society, Sherborne: 1925. £8.00
- Mayo (C.H) BIBLIOTHECA DORSETIENSIS Being a carefully compiled Account of Printed Books relating to the History and Topography of the County of Dorset. x + 296pp, 4to, original cloth. Limited to 100 copies. Originally published 1885. Reprinted 1996. £22.00
- Mayo (Charles Herbert), editor THE MUNICIPAL RECORDS OF THE BOROUGH OF DORCHESTER. Issued to the Subscribers by Charles Herbert Mayo and Arthur William Gould. With a double-page plan, and 3 views of Dorchester, one of which is double-page, lxvii + 756pp, including a 3« page list of subscribers, original qtr parchment, cloth boards, top board partly faded. William Pollard, Exeter: 1908. £85.00
DORSET ANTIQUARIAN BOOKS
Not all of my books are on line.
For a further selection and to receive my latest catalogue please E-mail :- email@example.com
- Miles (William Augustus) A DESCRIPTION OF THE DEVEREL BARROW, Opened A.D. 1825. Also a Minute Account of the KIMMERIDGE COAL MONEY, A Most Mysterious and Nondescript Article. With two engraved and one printed title, and 8 engraved plates, viii + (3)-53pp, 4to, recent cloth, label on top board, slight spotting mainly to margins of plates. Cockers, Printers, Frome: 1826. £70.00 --- See sample text
- Miles (William Augustus) A DESCRIPTION OF THE DEVEREL BARROW, Opened A.D. 1825. Also a Minute Account of the KIMMERIDGE COAL MONEY, A Most Mysterious and Nondescript Article. With two engraved and one printed title, and 8 engraved plates, viii + (3)-53pp, in the original paper boards, boards rubbed, affecting lettering on top board, portions missing from spine, water stain to top portion of top margin of frontis, endpapers spotty, otherwise clean. Cockers, Printers, Frome: 1826. £40.00 --- See sample text
- Mills (A.D) THE PLACE-NAMES OF DORSET. Part 1. The Isle of Purbeck, The Hundreds of Rowbarrow, Hasler, Winfrith, Culliford Tree, Bere Regis, Barrow, Puddletown, St. George. With 2 maps, xxxvii + 384pp, original cloth, dustwrapper protected with a loose plastic sleeve, bookplate to front pastedown. English Place Name Society, Nottingham: 1977. £20.00
- Mills (A.D) THE PLACE-NAMES OF DORSET. Part 3. The Hundreds of Redlane, Sixpenny Handley, Sturminster Newton, Whiteway, Buckland Newton, Brownsall, Sherborne. With 2 maps, xxxvii + 400pp, original cloth, dustwrapper protected with a loose plastic sleeve, bookplate to front pastedown. English Place Name Society, Nottingham: 1989. £20.00
- Moore (Joseph), printed for THE HISTORY OF THE TOWN AND COUNTY OF POOLE; Compiled from Hutchin's History of the County of Dorset; With a Chronological List of Mayors from the Year 1490 to the Present Time. To which is added A Supplement, containing Several Curious and Interesting Particulars; with Many Additions and Corrections, By the Editor. 86pp, lacks errata leaf, recent marbled wraps, with label on top cover. Second edition. Printed for Joseph Moore, Bookseller, Poole. 1788. £135.00
* This edition was published in the same year as the first.
- Moule (H.J) DORCHESTER ANTIQUITIES. Plate, illusts in text, 96pp, original cloth, top cover spotty and partly faded, prelims foxed. Second edition, Dorchester: Henry Ling, 1906. £18.00
* This edition has 20 more pages than the first edition, and contains a 'Memoir' by Thomas Hardy.
- Moule (H.J) DORCHESTER ANTIQUITIES. Vignette title, and textual illusts, 76pp, original cloth, covers partly faded, one corner on rear board slightly bruised. First edition, Dorchester: Henry Ling, 1901. £14.00 --- See sample text
- Murphy (John) DORSET AT WAR! Illusts, 302pp, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. Dorset Publishing Co., Milborne Port, Sherborne: 1979. £10.00
* 'For Dorset 1939-45 was the people's war. It was a struggle that spilled across the divisions in society, bringing to court the Lord Lieutenant of the county for buying blackmarket butter, and a baronet for hoarding gold.... '
- Peters (John), Colling (David and Ridley (Michael) BOURNEMOUTH THEN AND NOW. Numerous illusts, 224pp, dustwrapper. First edition, Blandford Press, Pool: 1978. £10.00
- Pitfield (F.P) THE BOOK OF BERE REGIS. Written and drawn by F.P. Pitfield. Numerous illusts, maps, 123pp, folio, top cover gilt tooled, small neat bookplate to front pastedown. Signed by the author on the title-page. Privately Printed for the Subscribers by Dorset Publishing Company, Milborne Port: 1978. £28.00
- Popham (David and Rita) THE BOOK OF BOURNEMOUTH. Numerous illusts, cr 4to, 160pp, dustwrapper. Limited Edition. Includes 2 page list of subscribers. Buckingham: Barracuda Books Limited. 1985. £12.00
* Signed by the authors on the title-page.
- Portland Prison REPORT OF THE DIRECTORS OF CONVICT PRISON ON THE DISCIPLINE AND MANAGEMENT OF.... PORTLAND PRISON.... For the Year 1875. Pages numbered 353-428, complete, folio, recent card covers, London: H.M.S.O. 1876. £30.00
* This is the Portland Prison section extracted from a larger work. Contains extracts from the Governor's Report, the Chaplain's Report and the Medical Officer's Report.
- Pridham (Dr. Llewellyn) THE DORSET COASTLINE. From a personal and photographic point of view. Photography by Edwin Kestin. Map endpapers, plates, 126pp, roy 8vo, dustwrapper, small mark to edge of dustwrapper, presentation inscription to front endpaper. Longmans (Dorchester) Ltd. c.195- £15.00
- Purdy (Richard Little) THOMAS HARDY A Bibliographical Study. With 7 plates, iv + 388pp, spotty dustwrapper which has a short strip torn from the top, and a split where folded, page edges spotty. First edition, Oxford University Press, 1954. £10.00
I have changed the software for notification of updates to this page.
Please re-register if you registered prior to 25 February :- Automatic notification
- Roberts (George) THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE BOROUGH OF LYME REGIS AND CHARMOUTH. With folding hand-coloured geological map, few textual illusts, xiii + 336 + (ii) Index + (ii) List of Subscribers, sm 8vo, original cloth, leather label on spine, small portion torn from head of spine. First edition, London; Samuel Bagster and others. Lyme Regis: Landray and Bennett & Dunster, 1834. £145.00
* This item collates as Mayo's Bibliotheca Dorsetiensis where he does not mention the plate of the 'Ichthyosaurus' which was in the 1823 edition. It occasionally does turn up in this edition.
- Robinson (C.E) THE ROYAL WARREN, or Picturesque Rambles in the Isle of Purbeck. Illustrated by A. Dawson. 10 plates, etched and 'photograved' and numerous textual illusts, 4to, xiv + 186pp, original buckram, t.e.g. others uncut, occasional light off-setting and foxing. London: Typographic Etching Company, 1882. £85.00
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments AN INVENTORY OF HISTORICAL MONUMENTS IN THE COUNTY DORSET VOLUME TWO SOUTH EAST DORSET. Parts 1, 2, and 3. Folding maps in pockets at rear, 235 plates, folding diagrams and numerous diagrams in the text, 3 volumes, lxx + 188 and xviii + 189-418 and ix + 419-701pp, 4to, few short tears to slightly rubbed dustwrappers Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England). 1970. £95.00
* Includes:- Affpuddle, Corfe Castle, Dorchester, Lulworth, Poole, Portland, Studland, Swanage, Wareham, Weymouth, Winterbourne, Worth Matravers.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments AN INVENTORY OF HISTORICAL MONUMENTS IN THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Volume Four NORTH DORSET. With two folding maps and 3 folding plans in pocket at rear, 80 plates, folding diagrams and numerous diagrams in the text, xxxix + 142pp. 4to, dustwrapper. First edition, Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England). 1972. £30.00
* Includes:- Ashmore, Bourton, Fontmell Magna, Gillingham, Iwerne Minster, Shaftesbury, Silton, Tarrant Hinton, West Stour, etc.
- Rumble (A.R), editor THE DORSET LAY SUBSIDY ROLL OF 1327. Dorset Record Society Publication No 9. Folio, xxxvi + 145pp, original card covers. This copy bound without the Index, which we have found does not appear in all copies. Publication No 6. Dorset Record Society. Dorchester: 1980. £15.00
- Russell (Una) and Grindrod (Audrey) THE MANOR HOUSES OF DORSET. With nearly 200 coloured photographs, and black and white illusts, 286pp, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. The Dovecote Press, Stanbridge, Wimborne: 2007. £18.00
- Rylands (John Paul), editor THE VISITATION OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET, TAKEN IN THE YEAR 1623, By Henry St. George and Sampson Lennard, Marshalls and Deputies to William Camden. With 9 plates, vi + (i) + 115pp, roy 8vo, original cloth, spine faded, rear outer hinge partly split. With the armorial bookplate of George Drewry Squibb, Inner Temple. London: Harleian Society. 1885. £40.00
- Saunders (Samuel) THE DEATH OF MINISTERS IMPROVED. A SERMON PREACHED AT WEYMOUTH, November 6, 1819, on the Lamented Death of The Rev. Thomas Flint, Pastor of the Baptist Church in that Town. Including a Brief Memoir of His Life and Character. 59pp, 12mo, lacks wraps. Bath: Printed and Sold by T.Smith, (1820) £20.00
- Sherborne and Babylon Hill A RELATION OF THE ACTIONS OF THE PARLIAMENTS FORCES Under the command of the Earl of Bedford Generall of the Horse, against those which came from Shirbourn unto Babell-hill neer unto Yerrell, upon Wednesday the 7th of this instant September, 1642. Which was extracted out of a Letter sent to the Parliament from Dorchester the 10th of September: 1642. Signed by Bedford, Denzill Hollis, John Northcott, George Chudley.... Together with The Copy of Captain Aiscoghs Letter to a Friend of His in London.... Bound with....nTHE COPY OF A LETTER SENT FROM HIS EXCELLENCIE ROBERT EARLE OF ESSEX: TO MR PYM.... Also an Order for the Printing of Sir Edw. Nicholas his Letter.... Together with the true Relation of the passages at Sherbourn-Hill, which have relation to the aforesaid Letters. Wood cut border to title-page, 8pp, and wood cut border to title-page + 5pp. With some contemporary marginalia and underscoring in the second item. Two items bound in one, recent half calf, paper boards. With the bookplate of A.M. Broadley. London, Printed for E. Husbands and J. Frank. Sept. 13. (1642) and London, Printed by L.N. for E. Husbands and J. Franck and are to be sold at their shops in the Middle-Temple, and next door to the Kings-head in Fleet-Street. 1642. £350.00
* The first item is Wing R811, the second Wing E3311. 'they standing still at the top of the hill, braving of us, and calling us Rogues and Round-heads, our men went up the hill to charge them, Captaine Aiscogh one way, Captaine Tomson another way a little after him, and Captain Balfour a third, and our Musquetiers after as fast as we could.... '
- Short (Bernard C) EARLY DAYS OF NONCONFORMITY IN POOLE. Plates, text illusts, [vi] + 76pp, half calf, cloth boards, spine rubbed to edges, ex-ref.lib., with small stamp to title-page. J. Looker, The Wessex Press, Poole: 1927. £8.00
- [Smart (T.W.W)] A CHRONICLE OF CRANBORNE, Being an Account of the Ancient Town, Lordship, and CHASE OF CRANBORNE, in the County of Dorset. Collected from original records and other authentic sources of information. With a folding map and an engraved plate, 316pp. 1841.... Bound with.... Mansel-Pleydell (J.C) A BRIEF MEMOIR OF THE GEOLOGY OF DORSET. Pamphlet, 22pp. 1873. Two items bound in one, recent half calf, raised bands, marbled boards. First edition, Nichols and Son.... London: 1841 & Off-print from Geological Magazine, 1873. £125.00
* Loosely inserted is a 2 page note, initialled, and dated 1881, by Smart, on which is an illustration. It concerns a copper figure found in the Knolton Woodlands.
- Smith (H.O) H.O. PIONEER AND APOSTLE OF PHOTOTYPESETTING. The memoirs of H.O. Smith. Illusts, 99pp, original cloth, stamp to verso of title-page, presentation inscription from the author on the title-page. The Dorset Press, Dorchester: 1998. £10.00
* Smith was born and went to school in Dorchester.
Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries
A selection from my stock.
- Stoate (T.L), editor and publisher DORSET TUDOR SUBSIDIES Granted in 1523, 1543, 1593. xxiv + 256pp, folio, original cloth. T.L. Stoate, Almondsbury: 1982. £35.00
- Stukeley (Rev. William) OF THE ROMAN AMPHITHEATER AT DORCHESTER. Large folding plan, viii + 16pp, folio, original wraps, recent cloth spine. Two Hundred Copies Printed in Facsimile. Originally published 1723. Reprinted 1925. £18.00
- Sturminster Marshall, transcribed by Edith Hobday REGISTERS OF STURMINSTER MARSHALL, Dorset. 1563-1812. 326pp, library style, early half morocco, cloth boards, spine slightly faded, with the original paper wraps bound in. Issued to Subscribers by Edward Alex. Fry and George S. Fry, 1901. £35.00
- Sydenham (John) BAAL DUROTRIGENSIS. A Dissertation on the Antient Colossal Figure at Cerne, Dorsetshire; and An Attempt to Illustrate the Distinction between the Primal Celtae and the Celto-Belgae of Britain: With Observations on the Worship of the Serpent and that of the Sun. Frontis, vi + (i) + 65pp, original embossed cloth, cloth slightly chipped to head of spine, two early ownership names to front endpaper, one scored through, private bookplate to front pastedown. First edition, W. Pickering, London: (1842) £125.00
- Traskey (J.P) MILTON ABBEY. A Dorset Monastery in the Middle Ages. Illusts, xi + 268pp, short tear repaired to verso of dustwrapper. First edition, Compton Press, Tisbury: 1978. £10.00
- Tribe (Tom) and Whatmoor (Philip) DORSET CLOCKS AND CLOCKMAKERS. Map endpapers, 38 plates, 234pp, dustwrapper. Oswestry: Tanat Books, 1981. £20.00
- Victoria County History, edited by R.B.Pugh VICTORIA HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Volume 3. With Index to Volume 2. With a frontis and double-page map, 189pp, small folio, slightly spotty dustwrapper, few small marks to endpapers. Oxford University Press, 1968. £35.00
* Mainly concerned with the Dorset Domesday and Geld Rolls.
- Victoria History, edited by William Page VICTORIA HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Volume 2. With 2 maps, a plan and 2 plates, xi + 370pp, 4to, original cloth, without dustwrapper, endpapers spotty. First edition, Archibald Constable, London: 1908. £40.00
* Includes chapters on:- Religious Houses, Maritime History and Social and Economic History, Agriculture, Hunting, etc.
- Walbridge (A.A.G) ST. MARY BEAMINSTER A HISTORY. Illusts, 144pp, original pictorial card covers, a few amendments in ink, made by the original owner of the book, whose bookplate is to verso of top cover. Tipped in at the rear is a copy of a letter sent by him to the author with a note of the corrections. Walbridge Publications, Beaminster: 2002. £16.00
- Wanklyn (C) LYME REGIS. A Retrospect. Numerous plates, some of which are folding, many coloured, xiv + 284pp, 4to, original cloth. Second edition, revised and enlarged. London: Hatchards, 1927. £90.00
- Wareham Guide Committee compiled by AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO THE ANCIENT TOWN OF WAREHAM, Containing: 25 Photographic Reproductions and Descriptive Letterpress of its General History, Geology, Churches, Earthen Ramparts, Flowers, Sports and Pastimes. Etc. Illusts, adverts, 50pp, original printed boards, ex-lib. recent cloth spine, retaining endpapers, corners of boards slightly rubbed, small mark to foot of top board where label removed?, small stamp to front endpaper. Bournemouth: Wareham Guide Committee, c.1900. £15.00
- Warne (Charles) DORSETSHIRE: Its Vestiges, Celtic, Roman, Saxon, & Danish.... Also adapted as An Index to the Illustrated Map, to which the several sites are indicated. From the personal researches and investigations of Charles Warne, F.S.A. Frontis map, vii + 56pp + advert leaf, original cloth, partly faded. First edition, D.Sydenham and John Camden, 1865. £45.00
- Warne (Charles) THE SAXON, DANISH AND NORMAN MINTS OF DORSETSHIRE. With 4 plates, pages numbered 277-331 + xiv-xvpp, 1 page of publishers adverts, folio, original cloth, rubbed to edges, some marks, and some staining to lower corner of boards, affecting a few leaves, inner hinges cracked, occasional foxing. Printed for the Author, and Subscribers Only, by D. Sydenham, Bournemouth. 1872. £28.00
* This formed a part of the larger work on Ancient Dorset. Being complete in itself, only a few were printed.
- Warne (Charles) THE CELTIC TUMULI OF DORSET: An Account of Personal and other Researches in the Sepulchral Mounds of the Durotriges. With 13 engraved plates, textual illusts, [viii] + 63 + 76pp, folio, original cloth, small portion missing from head of spine, partly faded, usual occasional spotting to plates, text clean, private ownership label to front pastedown. First edition, Printed for the Author: Published by John Russell Smith, London: 1866. £270.00
- Warne (Charles) THE CELTIC TUMULI OF DORSET: An Account of Personal and other Researches in the Sepulchral Mounds of the Durotriges. With 13 engraved plates, textual illusts, [viii] + 63 + 76pp, folio, original cloth, slightly dull, partly faded and with a few spots, plates slightly spotty, with water stains mainly to margins of plates, prelims spotty, text clean, small hole to front endpaper. First edition, Printed for the Author: Published by John Russell Smith, London: 1866. £180.00
- Warren (Frank), edited by Antony Bird HONOUR SATISFIED A Dorset Rifleman at War 1916-1918 2nd Lieutenant Frank Warren. 109pp, dustwrapper, stamp to front endpaper. The Crowood Press, Swindon: 1996. £8.00
- Weinstock (Maureen), editor WEYMOUTH AND MELCOMBE REGIS Minute Book 1625-1660. Dorset Record Society. Publication No 1. 108pp, stapled, original paper wraps, label on top wrap, lacks cloth spine. Publication No 1 of the Dorset Record Society, Dorchester: 1964. £12.00
- Western Chronicle, printers RECORDS OF THE DORSET MILITIA From 1757 to 1887. With Descriptive Introduction by a Local Editor. 28pp, sm 8vo, original printed wraps, occasional foxing. Yeovil: Printed by the Western Chronicle Company, Limited, 1889-89. £22.00
- Weymouth and Melcombe Regis REPORT ON THE CORPORATION OF WEYMOUTH AND MELCOMBE REGIS, (Dorsetshire.) Title and pages numbered 1382-1395, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound. House of Commons, London: 1835. £18.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Weymouth Corporation WEYMOUTH The English Naples. Folding frontis, illusts, 48pp, adverts. original bevelled cloth boards. Hodd and Co., Middlesborough: c.1904. £25.00 --- See sample text
- Widen (Bertil) STUDIES ON THE DORSET DIALECT. Maps, 179pp, pages partly unopened, original printed wraps, top wrap slightly spotty. Williams and Norgate, London: 1949. £12.00
Back to the TopCopyright © Ambra Books - 2020. All rights reserved.
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :-
Tel:- ( 0117 ) 9076899
E-mail :- firstname.lastname@example.org
Bristol -- Cornwall -- Devon -- Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries --
Gloucestershire -- Somerset -- Wiltshire --
General ( Includes items of DORSET interest. )
DORSET Clearance List
DORSET :- Selection of items I wish to purchase
DORSET :- Selection of manuscripts, maps, ephemera etc. for sale from Lesley Aitchison.
AMBRA BOOKS Home page