DORSET - History, Topography and Genealogy
Antiquarian and Secondhand Books
This is a selection from my stock.
Please let me know if there are any other titles you are looking for.
Click on:- ORDERING details
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :- ( 0117 ) 9076899
Postage, packing and insurance are extra.
When ordering from this list please note item No., Author, and Title.
Payment can be made by either sterling cheque, or by bank transfer.
Prices are nett.
Click to go to:- DORSET Clearance List
- Abbott's ABBOTT'S ILLUSTRATED COUNTIES, DORSETSHIRE, Its History, Antiquities, Places of Interest, etc. A Complete, Concise and Exhaustive Story of Dorset from the Earliest Times to the Present Day. Numerous illusts, lacks map, 130pp, 4to, original cloth, inner hinges partly cracked though sound, private bookplate to front pastedown. The Guide Printing and Publishing Co., Southampton: 1896. £18.00
- [Allen (M)] A HISTORY OF FORD ABBEY, DORSETSHIRE, late in the County of Devon. Frontis., iv + 98pp, sm 8vo, original cloth, a.e.g., outer hinges rubbed, private bookplate to front pastedown. First Edition, Hamilton, Adams and Co., London: 1846. £35.00
- Almack (T.F) A VILLAGE HERITAGE The Story of Blandford St. Mary. With 11 plates, 3 folding plans, and a folding pedigree, vii + 83pp, few short tears to dustwrapper. Friary Press, Dorchester: (1961) £16.00
- Ashley (Harry) EXPLORE DORSET Its Coast, Countryside and Heritage. With photographs by David Golumb. Illusts, 104pp, original printed card covers. Second edition, Countryside Books, Newbury: 1988. £10.00
- Bankes (Rt. Hon. George), M.P. for the County of Dorset. THE STORY OF CORFE CASTLE, and of many who lived there. Collected from Ancient Chronicles and Records; also from the Private Memoirs of a Family Resident there in the time of the Civil Wars.... Frontis, and 4 plates, 340pp, original cloth, partly faded, short split to head of top outer hinge, head of spine rubbed, occasional light spotting. London: John Murray, 1853. £80.00
- Bankes (Viola) A DORSET HERITAGE The Story of Kingston Lacy. With 8 plates, 200pp, few small nicks to dustwrapper, spine of dustwrapper slightly rubbed. London: The Richards Press, 1953. £12.00
- Barnes (William) A GLOSSARY OF THE DORSET DIALECT with a Grammar. vii + (i) + 124 + (1)pp, 103pp, 12mo, original card covers, light stain to rear cover. First published 1886. Second Edition. Toucan Press, Guernsey: 1970. £20.00
- Barnes (William) A PHILOLOGICAL GRAMMAR, Grounded upon English, and formed from a comparison of more than Sixty Languages. Being an introduction to the Science of Grammar, and a help to Grammars of all Languages especially English Latin and Greek. x + 312 + (2) pages of publisher's adverts, original cloth, edges slightly rubbed, small hole and small split to head of top outer hinge, private ownership to front pastedown. London: John Russell Smith, 1854. £95.00
- Barnes (William) FOLKLORE. Dorset Series No. 1. Frontis, 9pp, dustwrapper. Words Press, Dorchester: 1996. £10.00
- Barnes (William) POEMS OF RURAL LIFE in The Dorset Dialect. First Collection. Engraved frontis, vignette half-title, xii + 211 + 56pp (publishers adverts), sm 8vo, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, a portion missing from head and foot of faded spine, occasional light spotting, engraved bookplate of private school to front pastedown. Fourth edition, John Russell Smith, London: 1866. £20.00
- Barnes (William) POEMS OF RURAL LIFE in Common English. xii + 200 + (4 + 47) pages of (publishers adverts), sm 8vo, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, spine darkened, spine slightly darkened. First edition, MacMillan & Co., London: 1868. £32.00
- Barton (Colonel L.C) TOPOGRAPHICAL AND HISTORICAL GUIDE TO CORFE CASTLE in the Island of Purbeck, Dorset. With a folding frontis, and 2 folding plans, 48pp, sm 8vo, original printed paper card covers, neat repair to one marginal tear, pasted to front endpaper is a label for 'E.M. Miller & Co., General Drapers & Outfitters, Corfe Castle.' First edition, London: Ward, Lock & Co., 1885. £24.00
- Battrick (Jack), Lawson (Gail) BROWNSEA ISLANDER Maps, illusts, 175pp, roy 8vo, dustwrapper, stamp to title-page. Poole Historical Trust. 1978. £10.00
- Beamish (Derek), Dockerill (John), Hillier (John) and Smith (Graham) AN ALBUM OF OLD POOLE. With 226 illusts, dustwrapper. Poole Historical Trust. 1975. £10.00
- Beaton (David) DORSET MAPS. Numerous illusts, many of which are in colour, 11pp, oblong 4to, couple of small nicks to head of spine of dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. Signed by the author on half-title. First edition, The Dovecote Press Ltd., Stanbridge, Wimborne: 2001. £25.00
- Benfield (Eric) THE TOWN OF MAIDEN CASTLE. Illusts, 70pp, dustwrapper. Robert Hale, London: 1947. £12.00
- Bettey (J.H) THE ISLAND AND ROYAL MANOR OF PORTLAND Some aspects of its History with particular reference to the period 1750 - 1851. With 16 plates, map endpapers, 155pp, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper. The Court Leet of the Island and Manor of Portland, 1970. £18.00
- Bettey (J.H), editor THE CASEBOOK OF SIR FRANCIS ASHLEY J.P. RECORDER OF DORCHESTER 1614-35. xiii + 131pp, folio, original decorative printed wraps. Publication No 7 for The Dorset Record Society, 1981. £12.00
- Braye (John), editor SWANAGE (Isle of Purbeck) Its History, Resources as an Invigorating Health Resort, Botany and Geology. Folding map of Purbeck, with a double-page geological map of Swanage, 13 plates and textual illusts, 119pp, original printed paper boards, spine slightly darkened. Second edition, London: William Henry Everett & Son, 1890. £40.00
- Brocklebank (Joan) VICTORIAN STONE CARVERS IN DORSET CHURCHES 1856-1880. With excerpts from the reports of the consecration ceremonies in the Dorset County Chronicle and other Sources. Plates, map endpapers, 72pp, 4to, slightly faded dustwrapper. Wimborne: The Dovecote Press. 1979. £24.00
- Burnett (David) A DORSET CAMERA 1855-1914. With 149 illusts, 4to, dustwrapper, cellotape stains to internal flaps of dustwrapper and to endpapers. The Dovecote Press, Wimborne: 1974. £10.00
- Bysshe (Sir Edward), transcribed and edited by G.D. Squibb. THE VISITATION OF DORSET 1677. Made by Sir Edward Bysshe, Knight, Clarenceux King of Arms. xii + 124 + (19)pp, original cloth. Harleian Society, London, 1977. £28.00
- Camden (William), translated by Edmund Gibson DORSET. Extracted from Camden's Britannia. Lacks map, text pages, complete, numbered 43-54, folio, disbound. London: R. Ware.... 1753. £14.00
- Charities THE CHARITIES IN THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Selected from the Voluminous Reports of the Commissioners for Inquiring concerning Charities in England and Wales, which began the 58th Year of the Reign of Geo. III. and ended the 7th of Will. IV. Folio, 110pp + 5 - 182pp, contemporary half calf, marbled boards, leather label on spine, covers lightly rubbed, small strips torn from calf on corners, inner hinges partly cracked though sound, some spotting mainly to front and rear. London: Sold by James Newman. 1840. £60.00
* Not in Mayo's Bibliotheca Dorsetiensis. Consists of 'Report of the Commissioners.... ' and 'Further Report.... ' Originally issued as blue books, this is a re-issue with a new title-page. With the engraved armorial bookplate of Sir Edward B. Baker.
- Commins (J) COMMINS'S IMPROVED WEYMOUTH GUIDE. 96pp, sm 8vo, original printed card covers, very slightly chipped to head and foot of spine. Weymouth: Printed and Published by J. Commin, (1836) £75.00
* Not on Copac. A note on the top cover indicates that this edition was sold for One Shilling and there was another edition with an engraved frontis which sold for One Shilling and Sixpence. This is the One Shilling edition.
- Cooke (Rev. J.H), editor SHILLINGSTONE The Story of a Dorset Village. With 7 plates, 123 + 7 +(i)pp, 12mo, original cloth lightly rubbed, dull, and slightly spotty. Published Privately, Printed by Butler and Tanner, Frome: 1921. £65.00
- Cox (Benjamin G) THE BOOK OF BLANDFORD FORUM. The Story of the Town's Past. Numerous illusts, 192pp, dustwrapper. Barracuda Books, Buckingham: 1983. £12.00
- [Criswick (J)] A WALK ROUND DORCHESTER; Containing An Account of everything worthy.... Also an Account of the Abbeys Of Milton, Cerne, and Bindon, together with Sherborne, Lulworth, and Corfe Castles. Engraved frontis, and folding map, xxvi + (i) + 125 + 4pp, untrimmed in recent half calf, leather label on spine, marbled boards, early owner's name on title-page, ink splash mark to one leaf slightly affecting a few words. Printed by and for J. Criswick, High-West-Street, Dorchester: 1820. £125.00
- Cutler (Rev. R) ORIGINAL NOTES OF DORCHESTER AND THE DUROTRIGES. 131 + (1)pp, 12mo, early cloth with the original card covers bound in. Early ownership names to front endpaper and front cover. Printed at the Dorset County Chronicle Office, Dorchester: 1865. £55.00
- Dalton (Christopher) THE BELLS AND BELFRIES OF DORSET. Numerous illusts, double-page map, xxxv + 316 and xlii-li + 317-626 and lviii-lxxiv + 627-1026pp, 3 volumes, 4to, all in the original pictorial card covers, bookplate to verso of each top cover. The bells are in alphabetical order by place-name. Upper Court Press, Ullingswick: 2000, 2001, 2005. £80.00
- Darton (F.J. Harvey) THE MARCHES OF WESSEX. A Chronicle of England. With 8 plates, illusts in text, xiii + 352pp, lacks dustwrapper, untrimmed in the original cloth. Second edition, London: Nisbet & Co. Ltd., 1922. £16.00
- Dewar (H.S.L), editor THE THOMAS RACKETT PAPERS 17th - 19th Centuries. With 7 illusts, 97pp, folio, paper wraps, label on top wrap. Publication No 3 of the Dorset Record Society. Dorchester: 1965. £15.00
- Dorset Charities ABSTRACT OF THE RETURNS OF CHARITABLE DONATIONS for the Benefit of Poor Persons, Made by the Ministers and Churchwardens of the Several Parishes and Townships in England and Wales. 1786 - 1788. The Dorset section, folio, loose and unbound, 36pp. Ruled in columns:- Name of Hundred, Names of the Persons who Gave the Charity, When Given, Whether by Will or Deed, Description of the Charity, and for what Purpose given, Whether in Land or Money, In Whom Now Vested, Gross Amount, Annual Produce of the Money, Clear Annual Produce of that given in Land, and Observations. 1816. £25.00
* Not in Mayo's Bibliotheca Dorsetiensis.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by C.W.H. Dicker PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. Volume 32. With illusts, lxxvi + 251pp, original cloth, occasional light foxing. Dorchester: Dorset County Chronicle. 1911. £20.00
* Includes articles:- Saxon Saints at Wimborne; Dorchester Gallows; Sir George Somers; Memorial Brasses of Dorset; Calendar of Dorset Deeds, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by Henry Symonds PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. Volume 34. With illusts, lxxxii + 239pp, original cloth, small snag to top outer hinge. Dorchester: Dorset County Chronicle. 1913. £12.00
* Includes articles:- Bloxworth Church; Earthworks of Cranbourne Chase; Maumbury Rings; Memorial Brasses of Dorset; British Arachnida; Lepidoptera of Isle of Purbeck, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From May, 1921 to May, 1922. Volume 43. With illusts, xciv + 127 + (2)pp, original cloth, some damp spotting to top board. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1923. £14.00
* Includes articles:- Black Death in Dorset; Anglo-Saxon Mint at Bridport; Dorset Church Woodwork; Lyme Regis Bridge, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From May, 1924 to May, 1925. Volume 46. With illusts, xcii + 202pp, few marks to slightly warped original cloth. F.G. Longman, Dorchester: 1925. £14.00
* Includes articles:- Roman Aqueduct at Dorchester; Pre-Reformation Dorset Church Monuments; Holewale Brass at Askerswell; Portland Stone, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From May, 1927 to May, 1928. Volume 49. With illusts, cii + 238 + (3)pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1928. £15.00
* Includes articles:- Scenery of Dorset; Roofs of Dorset churches; West Woodyates Manor, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From June to December 1928. Volume 50. With illusts, cii + 317pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1929. £15.00
* Includes articles:- Disc Barrows of Dorset; Ancient Mural Paintings in Dorset churches; Dorset Deeds, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1929. Volume 51. With illusts, cii + 279pp, original cloth. F.G. Longman, Dorchester: 1930. £15.00
* Includes articles:- List of Coleoptera of Dorset; Chettle Down Earthwork; Effigies in Horton Church; Roman Coins from Jordan Hill, Weymouth, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1930. Volume 52. With illusts, cii + 166pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1931. £12.00
* Includes articles:- Hamworthy Peninsula; Agricultural Riots in Dorset; Dorset church dedications; Combs Ditch and Bokerley Dyke, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by J.M.J. Fletcher PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1931. Volume 53. With illusts, cvi + 306pp, original cloth. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1932. £15.00
* Includes articles:- Religious Houses of Dorset; Excavations at Jordan Hill; Outer Bounds of Cranborne Chase; Dorset Deeds, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by E.C. Chancellor PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL FIELD CLUB. From January 1st to December 31st, 1933. Volume 55. With illusts, lxxvi + 284pp, original cloth is damp spotted, internally sound. Dorchester: F.G. Longman. 1934. £16.00
* Includes articles:- Abbotsbury Swannery; Dorset Charters; Abbots of Bindon; Dorset Deeds; Tolpuddle Martyrs, etc.
- Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society, edited by Jo Draper PROCEEDINGS OF THE DORSET NATURAL HISTORY AND ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY. Volume 115 for 1993. Plates, diagrams, illusts, 295pp, original paper wraps. Dorchester: Friary Press, 1994. £6.00
* Includes articles:- Dorset Limekilns; Excavations at Hamworthy; Witchampton; Melbury Abbas, etc.
Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society
I HAVE MANY ODD VOLUMES IN STOCK.
Please let me know if there are any you require.
- Dorset Parish Registers, edited by W.P.W. Phillimore and Edmund Nevill. DORSETSHIRE PARISH REGISTERS. MARRIAGES. Volume 3. 152pp, original buckram, partly faded, private bookplate to front pastedown. Limited to 150 Copies, initialled by Phillimore. London: Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co., 1908. £45.00
* Marriages celebrated in each Parish from the first entry up to the year 1812. Contains the Parishes of Beaminster (up to 1685), Lyme Regis, Broadwindsor, Great Toller, Halstock, Frome Vauchurch, Wraxall, Cerne Abbas, Up Cerne (up to 1811).
- Draper (Jo) A DORCHESTER CAMERA. With 211 illusts, 4to, dustwrapper, neat private ownership label to front endpaper. The Dovecote Press, Wimborne: 1984 £10.00
* Signed by the author on the title-page.
- Draper (Jo), photographs by David Bailey DORSET BARNS. Numerous coloured photographs, 144pp, oblong 4to, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. The Dovecote Press, Stanbridge, Wimborne: 2010. £18.00
- Eedle (Marie de G) A HISTORY OF BEAMINSTER. Frontis, 40 plates, and 13 line drawings and sketch maps, 227 + (3)pp list of subscribers, roy 8vo, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown, and presentation inscription to front endpaper. Phillimore, Chichester: 1984. £20.00
- Ellis (George Alfred) THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE BOROUGH AND TOWN OF WEYMOUTH AND MELCOMBE REGIS. Plate, v + 270 + 4 page list of subscribers.... Bound with.... Steward (G.T) A LETTER. 7pp. Printed by G. Kay, Weymouth: 1830. Early half calf marbled boards, later spine, marbled endpapers, occasional early ink underscoring and marginalia, some blanks before subscribers list. Weymouth: Printed and Published by B. Benson. London: Baldwin and Craddock, 1829. £165.00
* The printed letter by Steward points out 'inaccuracies' in the text which relate to properties, and Fee-farm rents owned by him and his father. His father had sold property to Sir William Pulteney.
- Eyton (Rev. R.W) A KEY TO DOMESDAY, Showing The Method and Exactitude of its Mensuration, and the Precise Meaning of its More Usual Formulae. The Subject Being Specially Exemplified By An Analysis and Digest of the DORSET SURVEY. 176pp, roy 8vo, original cloth, private ownership label to front pastedown. Taylor and Co., London: 1878. £36.00
- Fagersten (Anton) THE PLACE-NAMES OF DORSET. xxvii + 334pp, partly faded dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. Originally published 1933, reprinted, EP Publishing Ltd. 1978. £24.00
- Farr (Grahame) WRECK AND RESCUE ON THE COAST OF DORSET. The Story of the Dorset Lifeboats. Illusts, 136pp, few light spots to dustwrapper. D. Bradford Barton, Truro: 1971. £18.00
- Fowler (Joseph) A DESCRIPTION OF SHERBORNE SCENERY, Its Nature and History In Its Relation to the Underlying Rocks.... The Origin of Dry Valleys; The History of the River Yeo and the Formation of its Valley at Sherborne. Illustrated by Hubert Jones. 87pp, 4to, original qtr cloth paper boards, few spots to top of top board. J.C. & A.T. Sawtell, Ltd., Sherborne: 1936. £25.00 --- See sample text
- Fowler (Joseph) MEDIAEVAL SHERBORNE. Taken for the most part from original Sherborne documents at S. Mary's Abbey church. the Castle, the Almshouse, the School, and the Digby Estate..... Illusts., 409pp + xvi, roy 8vo, original qtr cloth, printed paper boards, head of spine partly faded, repair to one lower margin few small portions missing from edges of dustwrapper which is in a protective sleeve. Longmans (Dorchester) Ltd., 1951. £45.00 --- See sample text
- Gibb (J.H.P) THE BOOK OF SHERBORNE. Numerous illusts, 144pp, cr. 4to, dustwrapper. Numbered Limited Edition. Includes 3 page list of subscribers. Buckingham: Barracuda Books Ltd. 1981. £25.00
- Gibbons (A.O) CERNE ABBAS. Notes and Speculations on a Dorset Village. Illusts, folding map, vii + 104pp, few short tears to dustwrapper, news cutting tipped onto front endpaper, private ownership label to front pastedown. Inscription by the author on half-title. Longmans (Dorchester) Ltd., (1962) £15.00
- Good (Ronald) WEYLAND. THE STORY OF WEYMOUTH AND ITS COUNTRYSIDE. With illustrations by the author. 116pp, roy 8vo, original wraps. Second Edition. Dorchester: Longmans of Dorchester, The Friary Press, 1946. £18.00
- Grinsell (L.V) DORSET BARROWS. Plates, illusts, folding maps, 192pp, 4to, original cloth, couple of corners of boards slightly bruised. Longmans, Dorchester: 1959. £25.00
- [Hall (P)] AN HISTORICAL AND DESCRIPTIVE GUIDE TO THE TOWN OF WIMBORNE MINSTER.... With a Particular Account of the Collegiate Church of St. Cuthberge, Queen Elizabeth's Free Grammar School, The Chapel of St. Margaret.... With a frontis and two plates, 60pp, original cloth partly faded. Second Edition. Wimborne: Alfred Purkis, Church Street. London: Longman, Brown, Green, and Co. 1853. £85.00
- Hawkins (Jennifer) THE POOLE POTTERIES Illusts, 224pp, dustwrapper. Barrie and Jenkins, London: 1980. £22.00
- Hearing (Terry) and Bridges (Sarah), editors DORSET QUARTER SESSIONS ORDER BOOK 1625-1638. A Calendar Plates, xxi + 503pp, original cloth. Volume 14. Dorset Record Society, 2006. £20.00
- Hill (Michael) EAST DORSET MANOR HOUSES Map, plans, coloured and black and white illusts, 440pp, 4to, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. Spire Books Ltd., Reading: 2013. £48.00
* 'Over 30 major buildings are dealt with in detail, ranging from the medieval palace at Corfe Castle erected for King John, through to minor masterpieces of the Modern Movement such as Landfall, Poole, by Oliver Hill. Nearly 80 further houses are described in an illustrated gazetteer.... '
- Hill (Michael) WEST DORSET MANOR HOUSES Map, plans, coloured and black and white illusts, 431pp, 4to, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. Spire Books Ltd., Reading: 2014. £48.00
* 'Major houses include Milton Abbey built alongside a vast monastic church and a rare example of Sir William Chambers' Gothick style. Its chief rival is the startlingly original Sherborne Castle, left incomplete by Sir Walter Raleigh at his execution. More than 40 further equally entrancing major houses, are explained and a further 80 are catalogued in a comprehensive gazetteer.... '
- Hill (Shelagh) THE BOOK OF YETMINSTER A Changing Village. Numerous illusts, 160pp, 4to, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 2005. £16.00
- Hine (Richard) HISTORY OF BEAMINSTER. With Forty Illustrations and Maps. xii + 471pp, 4to, includes a 3pp list of subscribers, original cloth. Loosely inserted is an engraving of Beaminster Church. Barnicott and Pearce, The Wessex Press, Taunton: 1914. £200.00
* Only 137 subscribers listed.
- Hodgson (C.H) and Bensly (W.J) THE SHERBORNE REGISTER Supplement, 1900-1921. xxii + 203pp, original cloth, stamp to front endpaper. Sherborne: F. Bennett, 1921. £15.00
- Homer (G. Wood) NOTES ON NORTH AMERICA AND ITS AGRICULTURE. With a few hints to intending emigrants, Also a brief history of Milborne St. Andrew Farmers' Club. by H.J. Standfield. Plate, adverts, xiv + 65pp, original cloth, few small spots to rear cover. Dorchester "Dorset County Chronicle" Printing Works, 1906. £35.00
- Hutchins (John) HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE COUNTY OF DORSETSHIRE. With a large folding map, and 56 of 58 full page copper-plate engravings, and with other engravings in the text, numerous pedigrees 10 of which are folding, lxxx + 618 and 528 + 61 (indices and list of plates, folio, list of subscribers, contemporary diced calf gilt, a couple of scratch marks on boards, covers slightly rubbed to edges, margins of 2 plates shaved, few short tears to fore-edge of one title-page, two early ownership names in ink on title-page, plate of maze has 3 tears neatly repaired to verso. First edition, London: Printed by W. Bowyer and J. Nichols, 1774. £850.00
- Hutchins (John) HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Compiled from the Best and most Ancient Historians, Inquisitiones Post Mortem, and other Valuable Records and MSS.... Volume 3 only. Third Edition, Corrected, Augmented, and Improved, by William Shipp and James Whitworth Hodson. With 33 of 34 full page engraved plates, lacks the plate of Kingston Lacy House, numerous pedigrees and engravings in the text, 755pp, folio, untrimmed in early buckram, lightly faded and rubbed, leather label on spine, a few plates lightly waterstained to margins. Westminster: Printed by John Bowyer Nichols, 1868. £180.00
* Includes the Town and Borough of Shaftesbury, and the Hundreds of Badbury, Cogdean, Cranborne, Knowlton, Loosebarrow, Sixpenny Handley; Upwinborne, Wimborne St. Giles, Brownshal, Buckland Newton, Liberty of Gillingham, and Liberty of Sturminster Marshal.
- Hutchins (John), Shipp (W) and Hodson (J.W) HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. With a new Introduction by Robert Douch. With plates, numerous pedigrees and textual illusts, folio, 4 volumes, neat repair to verso of short tear in one dustwrapper. Loosely inserted is the original 8 page prospectus. Originally published 1861 - 1870. Facsimile reprint. E.P. Publishing Ltd, Wakefield: 1973. £500.00
- Huxtable (Rev. A) A LECTURE ON THE SCIENCE AND APPLICATION OF MANURES; With an Appendix. 50pp, later half cloth, marbled endpapers, paper label on spine, ex-lib with labels to front endpapers. Second Edition, London: James Ridgway, 1847. £25.00
* Huxtable was the Rector of Hutton Waldron, Dorset when he wrote this work.
- Hyland (Paul) PURBECK The Ingrained Island. With photographs by Bob Groves. 240pp, dustwrapper. London: Victor Gollancz Ltd. 1978. £14.00
- James (Jude) WIMBORNE MINSTER The History of a Country Town. Numerous illusts, 87 + (9)pp, dustwrapper. The Dovecote Press, Wimborne: 1982. £24.00
* Signed inscription from the author on the front endpaper.
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF DORSETSHIRE 1920. With map, xxii + 372 + 73 pages of adverts, original cloth, rubbed, top outer hinge partly split, covers partly faded and spotty, map partly torn at folds and creased, lacks title-page. Kelly's Directories Ltd., London: 1923. £35.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF DORSET 1939. With coloured folding map, 37 + xviii + 424pp, library style binding in qtr calf, no labels or stamps, with number to foot of spine, slight staining to lower margins of a few leaves. London: Kelly's Directories Ltd. 1939. £50.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF WEYMOUTH, PORTLAND and Neighbourhood. xii + 16 + 408pp, original printed card covers, lightly rubbed to edges. Kelly's Directories Ltd., London: 1958. £25.00
- Knott (Olive) DOWN DORSET WAY. Illusts, 74pp, 12mo, card covers with pictorial dustwrapper. Longmans (Dorchester) Ltd., at the Friary Press, Dorchester: 1954. £10.00
- Legg (Rodney) THE BOOK OF LULWORTH. A Changing Village. Numerous illusts, 160pp, 4to, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 2002. £16.00
- Legg (Rodney) THE BOOK OF LYME REGIS the Story of Dorset's Western Spa. Illusts, 151pp, 4to, dustwrapper. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 2003. £28.00
- Mansel-Pleydell (J.C) THE MOLLUSCA OF DORSETSHIRE. (Marine, Estuarine, Freshwater, and Land.) and The Brachiopoda. Folding map, xxxii + 110pp, original cloth, few spots to rear board, short tear to map. Dorchester: "Dorchester County Chronicle", 1898. £40.00
* Presentation inscription from the author on front endpaper.
- Mansel-Pleydell (John Clavell) FLORA OF DORSETSHIRE, or A Catalogue of Plants found in the County of Dorset. With Sketches of its Geology and Physical Geography. With folding map, ii + 320pp, original buckram, lightly rubbed to edges, few marks to rear board, private bookplate to front pastedown, early ownership name, and date, to front endpaper. First Edition. London & Blandford: 1874. £35.00
- Masters and Boys of Sherborne School A GUIDE TO THE NEIGHBOURHOOD OF SHERBORNE AND YEOVIL. With 8 plates and a folding map in pocket at rear, (8) pages of adverts, xi + (1) + 125 + (8) pages of adverts, original cloth, 12mo, few small spots to cloth. Sherborne School Archaeological Society, Sherborne: 1925. £12.00
- Mayo (C.H) BIBLIOTHECA DORSETIENSIS Being a carefully compiled Account of Printed Books relating to the History and Topography of the County of Dorset. x + 296pp, 4to, original cloth. Limited to 100 copies. Originally published 1885. Reprinted 1996. £22.00
- Mayo (Charles Herbert), editor THE MUNICIPAL RECORDS OF THE BOROUGH OF DORCHESTER. Issued to the Subscribers by Charles Herbert Mayo and Arthur William Gould. With a double-page plan, and 3 views of Dorchester, one of which is double-page, lxvii + 756pp, including a 3« page list of subscribers, original qtr parchment, cloth boards, top board partly faded. William Pollard, Exeter: 1908. £95.00
DORSET ANTIQUARIAN BOOKS
Not all of my books are on line.
For a further selection and to receive my latest catalogue please E-mail :- email@example.com
- Miles (William Augustus) A DESCRIPTION OF THE DEVEREL BARROW, Opened A.D. 1825. Also a Minute Account of the KIMMERIDGE COAL MONEY, A Most Mysterious and Nondescript Article. With two engraved and one printed title, and 8 engraved plates, viii + (3)-53pp, 4to, recent cloth, label on top board, slight spotting mainly to margins of plates. Cockers, Printers, Frome: 1826. £85.00 --- See sample text
- Miles (William Augustus) A DESCRIPTION OF THE DEVEREL BARROW, Opened A.D. 1825. Also a Minute Account of the KIMMERIDGE COAL MONEY, A Most Mysterious and Nondescript Article. With two engraved and one printed title, and 8 engraved plates, viii + (3)-53pp, lacks top board, slightly shaken, occasional light foxing. Cockers, Printers, Frome: 1826. £30.00 --- See sample text
- Mills (A.D) THE PLACE-NAMES OF DORSET. 3 volumes, 2 maps, xxxvii + 384pp and 2 maps, 298pp and 2 maps, 400pp, dustwrappers protected in a loose plastic sleeve. English Place Name Society, Nottingham: 1977-89. £50.00
- Mills (A.D), editor THE DORSET LAY SUBSIDY ROLL OF 1332. Folio, xxii + 123pp, original printed card covers. Dorset Record Society. Dorchester: 1971. £20.00
- Moore (Joseph), printed for THE HISTORY OF THE TOWN AND COUNTY OF POOLE; Compiled from Hutchin's History of the County of Dorset; With a Chronological List of Mayors from the Year 1490 to the Present Time. To which is added A Supplement, containing Several Curious and Interesting Particulars; with Many Additions and Corrections, By the Editor. 86pp, lacks errata leaf, recent marbled wraps, with label on top cover. Second edition. Printed for Joseph Moore, Bookseller, Poole. 1788. £155.00
* This edition was published in the same year as the first.
- Moule (H.J) DORCHESTER ANTIQUITIES. Plate, illusts in text, 96pp, original cloth, top cover spotty and partly faded, occasional foxing. Second edition, Dorchester: Henry Ling, 1906. £20.00
* This edition has 20 more pages than the first edition, and contains a 'Memoir' by Thomas Hardy.
- Moule (H.J) DORCHESTER ANTIQUITIES. Vignette title, and textual illusts, 76pp, original cloth. Dorchester: Henry Ling, 1901. £18.00 --- See sample text
- Murphy (John) DORSET AT WAR! Illusts, 302pp, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. Dorset Publishing Co., Milborne Port, Sherborne: 1979. £10.00
* 'For Dorset 1939-45 was the people's war. It was a struggle that spilled across the divisions in society, bringing to court the Lord Lieutenant of the county for buying blackmarket butter, and a baronet for hoarding gold.... '
- Nuttall (G.F), editor LETTERS OF JOHN PINNEY 1679 - 1699. With a Forward by Lady Pinney. Frontis, xxii + 130 + (vi)pp, original cloth, light foxing to prelims, ownership inscription to front endpaper. Oxford University Press, 1939. £25.00
* Mainly relating to John Pinney of Bettiscombe, Dorset, covering the period 1666 - 1705.
- O'Donovan (M.A), editor CHARTERS OF SHERBORNE. Anglo-Saxon Charters III. lxx + 104pp, partly faded dustwrapper. Oxford University Press, 1988. £22.00
- Penn (K.J) HISTORIC TOWNS IN DORSET. Monograph Series No 1. Plans, 133pp, folio, original illustrated wraps. Dorset Natural History and Archaeological Society. 1980. £16.00
- Peters (John), Colling (David and Ridley (Michael) BOURNEMOUTH THEN AND NOW. Numerous illusts, 224pp, dustwrapper. Blandford Press, Pool: 1978. £24.00
- Pinion (F.B), editor BUDMOUTH ESSAYS ON THOMAS HARDY. Papers printed at the 1973 Summer School. 228pp, original printed card covers. The Thomas Hardy Society, Dorchester: 1976. £10.00
- Pitfield (F.P) THE BOOK OF BERE REGIS. Written and drawn by F.P. Pitfield. Numerous illusts, maps, 123pp, folio, top cover gilt tooled, small neat bookplate to front pastedown. Signed by the author on the title-page. Privately Printed for the Subscribers by Dorset Publishing Company, Milborne Port: 1978. £28.00
- Pope (Alfred) THE OLD STONE CROSSES OF DORSET. With an introduction and Descriptive Articles. With 34 plates, a key-map of the County, 145pp, small 4to, untrimmed in the original cloth, very small hole to rear outer hinge, otherwise a nice copy. Second edition, Printed at the Chiswick Press, London: 1906. £55.00
* It states that it is a second edition at the foot of the spine.
- Popham (David and Rita) THE BOOK OF BOURNEMOUTH. Numerous illusts, cr 4to, 160pp, dustwrapper. Limited Edition. Includes 2 page list of subscribers. Buckingham: Barracuda Books Limited. 1985. £26.00
* Signed by the authors on the title-page.
- Portland Prison REPORT OF THE DIRECTORS OF CONVICT PRISON ON THE DISCIPLINE AND MANAGEMENT OF.... PORTLAND PRISON.... For the Year 1875. Pages numbered 353-428, complete, folio, recent card covers, London: H.M.S.O. 1876. £30.00
* This is the Portland Prison section extracted from a larger work. Contains extracts from the Governor's Report, the Chaplain's Report and the Medical Officer's Report.
- Pridham (Dr. Llewellyn) THE DORSET COASTLINE. From a personal and photographic point of view. Photography by Edwin Kestin. Map endpapers, plates, 126pp, roy 8vo, dustwrapper, small mark to edge of dustwrapper, presentation inscription to front endpaper. Longmans (Dorchester) Ltd. c.195- £15.00
- Purdy (Richard Little) THOMAS HARDY A Bibliographical Study. With 7 plates, iv + 388pp, spotty dustwrapper which has a short strip torn from the top, and a split where folded, page edges spotty. First edition, Oxford University Press, 1954. £15.00
I have changed the software for notification of updates to this page.
Please re-register if you registered prior to 25 February :- Automatic notification
- Roberts (George) THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE BOROUGH OF LYME REGIS AND CHARMOUTH. With folding hand-coloured geological map, few textual illusts, xiii + 336 + (ii) Index + (ii) List of Subscribers, sm 8vo, original cloth, leather label on spine, small portion torn from head of spine. First edition, London; Samuel Bagster and others. Lyme Regis: Landray and Bennett & Dunster, 1834. £165.00
* This item collates as Mayo's Bibliotheca Dorsetiensis where he does not mention the plate of the 'Ichthyosaurus' which was in the 1823 edition. It occasionally does turn up in this edition.
- Roberts (George) THE HISTORY OF LYME REGIS, Dorset, from The Earliest Periods to the present day. With 2 folding lithographed plates, viii + 221 + (iv)pp, includes 2pp List of Subscribers, sm 8vo, original paper boards, later paper spine, with the original paper label pasted to spine, plates slightly spotty mainly to margins, ownership name to front endpaper. First edition, Sherborne: Printed for the Author, by Langdon and Harker.... 1823. £140.00
- Robinson (C.E) THE ROYAL WARREN, or Picturesque Rambles in the Isle of Purbeck. Illustrated by A. Dawson. 10 plates, etched and 'photograved' and numerous textual illusts, 4to, xiv + 186pp, original buckram, t.e.g. others uncut, occasional light off-setting and foxing. London: Typographic Etching Company, 1882. £120.00
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments AN INVENTORY OF HISTORICAL MONUMENTS IN THE COUNTY DORSET VOLUME TWO SOUTH EAST DORSET. Parts 1, 2, and 3. Folding maps in pockets at rear, 235 plates, folding diagrams and numerous diagrams in the text, 3 volumes, lxx + 188 and xviii + 189-418 and ix + 419-701pp, 4to, few short tears to slightly rubbed dustwrappers Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England). 1970. £95.00
* Includes:- Affpuddle, Corfe Castle, Dorchester, Lulworth, Poole, Portland, Studland, Swanage, Wareham, Weymouth, Winterbourne, Worth Matravers.
- Royal Commission on Historical Monuments AN INVENTORY OF HISTORICAL MONUMENTS IN THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Volume Four NORTH DORSET. With two folding maps and 3 folding plans in pocket at rear, 80 plates, folding diagrams and numerous diagrams in the text, xxxix + 142pp. 4to, dustwrapper. First edition, Royal Commission on Historical Monuments (England). 1972. £30.00
* Includes:- Ashmore, Bourton, Fontmell Magna, Gillingham, Iwerne Minster, Shaftesbury, Silton, Tarrant Hinton, West Stour, etc.
- Rumble (A.R), editor THE DORSET LAY SUBSIDY ROLL OF 1327. Dorset Record Society Publication No 9. Folio, xxxvi + 160pp, original card covers, very small portion missing from top of top cover. Publication No 6. Dorset Record Society. Dorchester: 1980. £20.00
- Russell (Una) and Grindrod (Audrey) THE MANOR HOUSES OF DORSET. With nearly 200 coloured photographs, and black and white illusts, 286pp, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. The Dovecote Press, Stanbridge, Wimborne: 2007. £18.00
- Rylands (John Paul), editor THE VISITATION OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET, TAKEN IN THE YEAR 1623, By Henry St. George and Sampson Lennard, Marshalls and Deputies to William Camden. With 9 plates, vi + (i) + 115pp, roy 8vo, original cloth, spine faded, rear outer hinge partly split. With the armorial bookplate of George Drewry Squibb, Inner Temple. London: Harleian Society. 1885. £50.00
- Saunders (Samuel) THE DEATH OF MINISTERS IMPROVED. A SERMON PREACHED AT WEYMOUTH, November 6, 1819, on the Lamented Death of The Rev. Thomas Flint, Pastor of the Baptist Church in that Town. Including a Brief Memoir of His Life and Character. 59pp, 12mo, lacks wraps. Bath: Printed and Sold by T.Smith, (1820) £25.00
- Short (Bernard C) EARLY DAYS OF NONCONFORMITY IN POOLE. Plates, text illusts, [vi] + 76pp, half calf, cloth boards, spine rubbed to edges, ex-ref.lib., with small stamp to title-page. J. Looker, The Wessex Press, Poole: 1927. £12.00
- [Smart (T.W.W)] A CHRONICLE OF CRANBORNE, Being an Account of the Ancient Town, Lordship, and CHASE OF CRANBORNE, in the County of Dorset. Collected from original records and other authentic sources of information. With a folding map and an engraved plate, 316pp. 1841.... Bound with.... Mansel-Pleydell (J.C) A BRIEF MEMOIR OF THE GEOLOGY OF DORSET. Pamphlet, 22pp. 1873. Two items bound in one, recent half calf, raised bands, marbled boards. First edition, Nichols and Son.... London: 1841 & Off-print from Geological Magazine, 1873. £125.00
* Loosely inserted is a 2 page note, initialled, and dated 1881, by Smart, on which is an illustration. It concerns a copper figure found in the Knolton Woodlands.
- Smith (H.O) H.O. PIONEER AND APOSTLE OF PHOTOTYPESETTING. The memoirs of H.O. Smith. Illusts, 99pp, original cloth, stamp to verso of title-page, presentation inscription from the author on the title-page. The Dorset Press, Dorchester: 1998. £12.00
* Smith was born and went to school in Dorchester.
- Smith (Harry P) HISTORY OF THE LODGE OF AMITY No 137, POOLE. With 47 plates, 2 of which are folding, 510pp, includes a list of subscribers, original cloth, ex-masonic library, a couple of stamps to endpapers. A nice copy. Limited to 300 numbered copies. Poole: J. Looker, 1937. £50.00
- Society of Dorset Men THE DORSET YEAR BOOK. 1930. Numerous illusts, 287 +(3) pages of adverts, original printed wraps slightly worn, fore-edge margins of first couple of leaves waterstained. Society of Dorset Men in London, London: 1930. £10.00
* Includes articles:- Sir James Thornhill; Thomas Hardy; Dorset Regiments, etc.
Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries
A selection from my stock.
- Stoate (T.L), editor and publisher DORSET TUDOR SUBSIDIES Granted in 1523, 1543, 1593. xxiv + 256pp, folio, original cloth. T.L. Stoate, Almondsbury: 1982. £45.00
- Stukeley (Rev. William) OF THE ROMAN AMPHITHEATER AT DORCHESTER. Large folding plan, viii + 16pp, folio, original wraps, recent cloth spine. Two Hundred Copies Printed in Facsimile. Originally published 1723. Reprinted 1925. £25.00
- Sturminster Marshall, transcribed by Edith Hobday REGISTERS OF STURMINSTER MARSHALL, Dorset. 1563-1812. 326pp, library style, early half morocco, cloth boards, spine slightly faded, with the original paper wraps bound in. Issued to Subscribers by Edward Alex. Fry and George S. Fry, 1901. £45.00
- Sydenham (John) BAAL DUROTRIGENSIS. A Dissertation on the Antient Colossal Figure at Cerne, Dorsetshire; and An Attempt to Illustrate the Distinction between the Primal Celtae and the Celto-Belgae of Britain: With Observations on the Worship of the Serpent and that of the Sun. Frontis, vi + (i) + 65pp, original embossed cloth, cloth slightly chipped to head of spine, two early ownership names to front endpaper, one scored through, private bookplate to front pastedown. W. Pickering, London: (1843) £145.00
- Trades Union Congress Published by THE BOOK OF THE MARTYRS OF TOLPUDDLE 1834 - 1934. Illusts, xv + 239pp, 4to, original half morocco, top edge gilt, rubbed to head and foot of spine, loosely inserted is a bookmark which doubles as a program for the centenniel events. First edition, London: The Trades Union Congress General Council, 1934. £35.00
- Traskey (J.P) MILTON ABBEY. A Dorset Monastery in the Middle Ages. Illusts, xi + 268pp, dustwrapper. First edition, Compton Press, Tisbury: 1978. £18.00
- Tribe (Tom) and Whatmoor (Philip) DORSET CLOCKS AND CLOCKMAKERS. Map endpapers, 38 plates, 234pp, dustwrapper. Oswestry: Tanat Books, 1981. £35.00
- Victoria County History, edited by R.B.Pugh VICTORIA HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Volume 3. With Index to Volume 2. With a frontis and double-page map, 189pp, small folio, slightly spotty dustwrapper, few small marks to endpapers. Oxford University Press, 1968. £45.00
* Mainly concerned with the Dorset Domesday and Geld Rolls.
- Victoria History, edited by William Page VICTORIA HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF DORSET. Volume 2. With 2 maps, a plan and 2 plates, xi + 370pp, 4to, original cloth, without dustwrapper, endpapers spotty. First edition, Archibald Constable, London: 1908. £40.00
* Includes chapters on:- Religious Houses, Maritime History and Social and Economic History, Agriculture, Hunting, etc.
- Walbridge (A.A.G) ST. MARY BEAMINSTER A HISTORY. Illusts, 144pp, original pictorial card covers, a few amendments in ink, made by the original owner of the book, whose bookplate is to verso of top cover. Tipped in at the rear is a copy of a letter sent by him to the author with a note of the corrections. Walbridge Publications, Beaminster: 2002. £16.00
- Wanklyn (C) LYME REGIS. A Retrospect. With plans, portraits, etc, some of which are folding, xi + 125pp, sm 4to, original qtr cloth paper boards, covers slightly spotty, paper label on spine partly rubbed. First edition, London: Arthur L. Humphreys, 1922. £65.00
- Wanklyn (C) LYME REGIS. A Retrospect. Numerous plates, some of which are folding, many coloured, xiv + 284pp, 4to, original cloth. A nice copy. Second edition, revised and enlarged. London: Hatchards, 1927. £110.00
- Wareham Guide Committee compiled by AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO THE ANCIENT TOWN OF WAREHAM, Containing: 25 Photographic Reproductions and Descriptive Letterpress of its General History, Geology, Churches, Earthen Ramparts, Flowers, Sports and Pastimes. Etc. Illusts, adverts, 50pp, original printed boards, ex-lib. recent cloth spine, retaining endpapers, corners of boards slightly rubbed, small mark to foot of top board where label removed?, small stamp to front endpaper. Bournemouth: Wareham Guide Committee, c.1900. £18.00
- Warne (Charles) DORSETSHIRE: Its Vestiges, Celtic, Roman, Saxon, & Danish.... Also adapted as An Index to the Illustrated Map, to which the several sites are indicated. From the personal researches and investigations of Charles Warne, F.S.A. Frontis map, vii + 56pp + advert leaf, original cloth, partly faded. First edition, D.Sydenham and John Camden, 1865. £45.00
- Warne (Charles) THE SAXON, DANISH AND NORMAN MINTS OF DORSETSHIRE. With 4 plates, pages numbered 277-331 + xiv-xvpp, 1 page of publishers adverts, folio, original cloth, rubbed to edges, some marks, and some staining to lower corner of boards, affecting a few leaves, inner hinges cracked, occasional foxing. Printed for the Author, and Subscribers Only, by D. Sydenham, Bournemouth. 1872. £28.00
* This formed a part of the larger work on Ancient Dorset. Being complete in itself, only a few were printed.
- Warne (Charles) THE CELTIC TUMULI OF DORSET: An Account of Personal and other Researches in the Sepulchral Mounds of the Durotriges. With 13 engraved plates, textual illusts, [viii] + 63 + 76pp, folio, original cloth, small portion missing from head of spine, partly faded, usual occasional spotting to plates, text clean, private ownership label to front pastedown. First edition, Printed for the Author: Published by John Russell Smith, London: 1866. £270.00
- Warne (Charles) THE CELTIC TUMULI OF DORSET: An Account of Personal and other Researches in the Sepulchral Mounds of the Durotriges. With 13 engraved plates, textual illusts, [viii] + 63 + 76pp, folio, original cloth, slightly dull, partly faded and with a few spots, plates slightly spotty, with water stains mainly to margins of plates, prelims spotty, text clean, small hole to front endpaper. First edition, Printed for the Author: Published by John Russell Smith, London: 1866. £180.00
- Warren (Frank), edited by Antony Bird HONOUR SATISFIED A Dorset Rifleman at War 1916-1918 2nd Lieutenant Frank Warren. 109pp, dustwrapper, stamp to front endpaper. The Crowood Press, Swindon: 1996. £15.00
- Weinstock (Maureen), editor WEYMOUTH AND MELCOMBE REGIS Minute Book 1625-1660. Dorset Record Society. Publication No 1. 108pp, stapled, original paper wraps, label on top wrap, lacks cloth spine. Publication No 1 of the Dorset Record Society, Dorchester: 1964. £12.00
- Western Chronicle, printers RECORDS OF THE DORSET MILITIA From 1757 to 1887. With Descriptive Introduction by a Local Editor. 28pp, sm 8vo, original printed wraps, occasional foxing. Yeovil: Printed by the Western Chronicle Company, Limited, 1889-89. £22.00
- Weymouth and Melcombe Regis REPORT ON THE CORPORATION OF WEYMOUTH AND MELCOMBE REGIS, (Dorsetshire.) Title and pages numbered 1382-1395, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound. House of Commons, London: 1835. £18.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Weymouth Corporation WEYMOUTH The English Naples. Folding frontis, illusts, 48pp, adverts. original bevelled cloth boards. Hodd and Co., Middlesborough: c.1904. £28.00 --- See sample text
- White (Howard) STONE AND SALVATION. The Comprehensive Centennial Story of Portland's Salvation Army. 151pp, original pictorial card covers, few small spots to top covers, small area rubbed to rear cover. c.1984. £12.00
* Includes a list of officers stationed at Portland from 1885.
- Widen (Bertil) STUDIES ON THE DORSET DIALECT. Maps, 179pp, pages partly unopened, original printed wraps, top wrap slightly spotty. Williams and Norgate, London: 1949. £25.00
Back to the TopCopyright © Ambra Books - 2019. All rights reserved.
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :-
Tel:- ( 0117 ) 9076899
E-mail :- firstname.lastname@example.org
Bristol -- Cornwall -- Devon -- Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries --
Gloucestershire -- Somerset -- Wiltshire --
General ( Includes items of DORSET interest. )
DORSET Clearance List
DORSET :- Selection of items I wish to purchase
DORSET :- Selection of manuscripts, maps, ephemera etc. for sale from Lesley Aitchison.
AMBRA BOOKS Home page