SOMERSET - History, Topography and Genealogy
Antiquarian and Secondhand Books
This is a selection from my stock.
Please let me know if there are any other titles you are looking for.
Click on:- ORDERING details
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :- ( 0117 ) 9076899
Postage, packing and insurance are extra.
When ordering from this list please note item No., Author, and Title.
Payment can be made by either sterling cheque, or by bank transfer.
Prices are nett.
Click to go to:- SOMERSET Clearance List
- Acland (A.H.D.), editor MEMOIRS AND LETTERS OF THE RIGHT HONOURABLE SIR THOMAS DYKE ACLAND. With 16 illustrations, 409pp, original cloth, leather label on spine slightly rubbed and with small hole affecting one word. Tipped in is a compliments slip from Sir C.T.D. Acland and Rt. Hon. A.H.D. Acland. Printed for Private Circulation, London: Chiswick Press, 1902. £75.00
- [Anstey (C)] THE NEW BATH GUIDE: or, Memoirs of the B-N-R-d Family. In a series of Poetical Epistles. Engraved frontis, viii + 175pp, 12mo, full contemporary tree calf, raised bands, spine gilt tooled, with a leather label on spine. A nice copy. The Thirteenth Edition, London: J. Dodsley, 1788. £35.00
- [Anstey (Christopher)] THE NEW BATH GUIDE: or, Memoirs of the B-N-R-d Family. In a series of Poetical Epistles. Engraved frontis, viii + 175p. Eighth Edition, London: Printed for J. Dodsley, 1772.... Bound with.... 'Invalid' THE REGISTER OF FOLLY; or Characters and Incidents at Bath and Hot-Wells, in a series of Poetical Epistles, by An Invalid. 128pp, lacks pages 83, 84, 129 and rear endpaper. Printed by the Author; And sold by F. Newberry. 1773. Two volumes bound in one, full early calf, rubbed, rear board held by 2 strings. Eighth Edition, London: Printed for J. Dodsley and Fletcher and Hodson in Cambridge: 1772. £35.00
- Arlett (Mike) & Peters (Ivo) STEAM AROUND BATH. With 281 illusts, usually 2 to a page, 4to, dustwrapper. Millstream Books, Bath: 1987. £16.00
- Arlett (Mike) THE SOMERSET AND DORSET AT MIDFORD. Maps, diagrams, illusts, 112pp, dustwrapper. Millstream Books, Bath: 1986. £16.00
- Ashbrittle ASHBRITTLE AT THE MILLENNIUM Researched, written, photographed, edited and designed by people from the parish of Ashbrittle with help from some close neighbours. Illusts, map endpapers, 170pp, oblong 8vo, paperback. NUMBERED LIMITED EDITION OF 750 COPIES. Ashbrittle Arts, 2000. £10.00
* A history of the manor of Ashbrittle, in Somerset, with photographs, comments and snippets by many of its residents.
- Baker (Ernest A) and Balch (Herbert E) THE NETHERWORLD OF MENDIP. Explorations in the Great Caverns of Somerset, Yorkshire, Derbyshire & elsewhere. Maps, plans and plates, xii + 172pp, original cloth, lightly rubbed, spine slightly faded, some light water staining to edges of boards, internally sound. Clifton: J. Baker & Son, 1907. £18.00 --- See sample text
- Balch (H.E) MENDIP, Its Swallet Caves and Rock Shelters. Plates, diagrams, folding table, 156pp, 12mo, original wraps, spine and portion of covers darkened, page edges darkened. Signed and dated by Balch on the front endpaper. Second Edition, Bristol: John Wright and Sons, London: Simpkin Marshall, 1948. £20.00
- Balch (H.E) MENDIP The Great Cave of Wookey Hole.... with.... MENDIP - Cheddar, its Gorge and Caves.... MENDIP, Its Swallet Caves and Rock Shelters. MENDIP The Great Cave of Wookey Hole. Illusts, 163pp. Second edition. Wells: 1932.... Bound with.... MENDIP - Cheddar, its Gorge and Caves. Illusts, 177pp. First edition. Wells: 1935.... Bound with.... MENDIP, Its Swallet Caves and Rock Shelters. Illusts, 211pp. First edition. Wells: 1937. 3 volumes bound in one, original cloth, private bookplate to front pastedown. Clare Son & Co., Ltd., 1932 and 1937. £32.00
- Balch (H.E) MENDIP The Great Cave of Wookey Hole.... with.... MENDIP - Cheddar, its Gorge and Caves.... with.... MENDIP, Its Swallet Caves and Rock Shelters. With plates and illusts, vii + 108pp. Third edition, Bristol: John Wright, 1947..... Bound with.... MENDIP - Cheddar, its Gorge and Caves. With plates and illusts, vii + 102pp. Second edition, Bristol: John Wright, 1947..... Bound with.... MENDIP, Its Swallet Caves and Rock Shelters. With plates and illusts, [vi] + 156pp. Second edition, Bristol: John Wright, 1948. 3 volumes bound in one, original cloth. Bristol: John Wright, 1947-48. £25.00
- Balch (H.E) WOOKEY HOLE, ITS CAVES AND CAVE DWELLERS. With an Introduction by Professor Boyd Dawkins. Period Restoration and numerous Drawings by John Hassall, R.I. Cave Photographs and Diagrams by J.H. Savory. With 36 plates, and 55 figures in the text, viii + 258pp, 4to, untrimmed in the original cloth-backed printed paper boards, few spots to slightly faded board, the ragged, and split in 2 dustwrapper is loosely inserted. First edition. Oxford University Press: 1914. £85.00
- Bantock (Anton) THE EARLIER SMYTHS OF ASHTON COURT. From their letters 1545-1741.... with... THE LATER SMYTHS OF ASHTON COURT. From their letters 1741-1802.... with... THE LAST SMYTHS OF ASHTON COURT. Part 1. From their papers 1802-1880.... with... THE LAST SMYTHS OF ASHTON COURT. Part 2. From their papers 1880-1900.... with... THE LAST SMYTHS OF ASHTON COURT. Part 3. From their papers 1900-1946. 5 volumes all with plates, textual illusts, maps, and pedigrees, 270pp; 237pp; 290pp; 272pp; 239pp, all in the original decorative card covers. Bristol: Malago Society, 1982-2002. £45.00
* A scarce set.
- Bath Poll 1859 THE BATH POLL BOOK, Being an Alphabetical List in Parishes, of the Names of the Persons who Voted, or were Entitled to Vote, at the General Election of Members for the City and Borough of Bath, April, 30, 1859. Candidates: William Tite, Esq., Arthur Edwin Way, Esq., Thomas Phinn, Esq., Q.C. (The two first were elected.) Disbound, 58pp, sm 8vo, some foxing mainly to front and rear. Bath: Published by R.E. Peach, Bridge Street, 1859. £65.00
- Bath Poll 1868 THE BATH POLL BOOK, Being an Alphabetical List in Parishes, of the Names of Persons Who Voted, or were Entitled to Vote, at the General Election of Members for the City and Borough of Bath, November, 17, 1868. Candidates: Col. James MacNaghten Hogg, William Tite, Esq., Donald Dalrymple, Esq. (The two last were Elected.) 115 + (1) page of adverts, sm 8vo, disbound, some foxing mainly to front and rear. Bath: Printed by S. Hayward, "Bath Express" Office and Published by R.E. Peach, Bridge Street, 1868. £55.00
- Bath REPORT ON THE CITY OF BATH, (Somersetshire.) Title and pages numbered 1109-1130, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound. House of Commons, London: 1835. £15.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Bath and West of England Society LETTERS AND PAPERS on Agriculture, Planting &c. Selected from the Correspondence Book of the Society instituted at Bath, for the Encouragement of Agriculture, Arts, Manufactures, and Commerce, within the Counties of Somerset, Wilts, Gloucester, and Dorset, and the City and County of Bristol. To which is added, An Appendix.... xii + 264 + 100pp, early unlettered calf, marbled boards, slightly rubbed at edges, outer hinges cracked though sound. First edition, Bath: R. Cruttwell, 1780. £35.00
* This was the first volume of the Society's Letters and Papers. It was reprinted in 1783 and was then called 'Volume 1'. Includes articles on Rhubarb in Somerset; Turnips in Suffolk; Machines for Floating Pastures; Burnbaiting on Mendip Hills, etc.
- Bath and West of England Society LETTERS AND PAPERS on Agriculture, Planting &c. Selected from the Correspondence Book of the Bath and West of England Society for the Encouragement of Agriculture, Arts, Manufacture and Commerce.... To which is added, An Appendix.... Volume 1. xii + 366pp, early half calf, marbled boards, lacks spine, boards held by strings. Second Edition, Bath: R. Cruttwell, 1783. £25.00
* Includes articles:- Species of Grass in Wiltshire; Burnbaiting on Mendip Hills; Turnips in Suffolk; Norfolk Husbandry; Agriculture in the Isle of Wight, etc.
- Bath and West of England Society LETTERS AND PAPERS on Agriculture, Planting &c. selected from the Correspondence of the Bath and West of England Society.... Volume 3. With 3 folding and 2 other plates, 498 + (1)pp, early half calf, marbled boards, rubbed to edges, lacks spine. First edition, Bath: R. Cruttwell, 1786. £30.00
* Includes:- 'On the Farm-Yard Management of Dung' by Arthur Young, and an article on 'Experiments with the English Rhubarbs made in the General Hospital at Bath'.
- Batten (John) HISTORICAL AND TOPOGRAPHICAL COLLECTIONS RELATING TO THE EARLY HISTORY OF PARTS OF SOUTH SOMERSET, viz Barwick, Chilton Cantelo, Sutton Bingham, East Coker, Brympton, Houndston, Preston, Limington, with Notices of West Coker, and Hardington Mandeville. With plates, folding pedigree, iii + 200pp, original bevelled cloth, title slightly discoloured as usual. First edition, Simpkin, Marshall & Co., London: & Whitby and Son, Yeovil, 1894. £35.00
- Beisly (Philip) THE NORTHMARSH OF SOMERSET. Illusts, plans, 136pp, original pictorial card covers, corner of lower corner of rear board creased. Weston super Mare Heritage Centre, 1996. £6.00
* 'The Northmarsh is surrounded by the expanding towns of Weston super Mare, Clevedon and Nailsea... '
- Belson (Mary) THE ORPHAN BOY, OR A JOURNEY TO BATH. Founded on Fact. Engraved frontis, engraved plate, 120pp, sm 8vo, contemporary qtr calf, paper boards, rubbed to edges, slightly shaken, fragment of label on top board, light soiling. London: Printed for W. Darton, 58 Holborn, 58, Holborn Hill. (1814) £50.00
* This children's story was written by Mary Elliott and published under her maiden name. The story "Founded on Fact." relates to a party travelling from London to Bath in 1808, where the mother intended to take the waters for her rheumatism.
- Billingsley (John) GENERAL VIEW OF THE AGRICULTURE OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET, with Observations on the Means of its Improvement: Drawn up in the Year 1795. For the consideration of the Board of Agriculture and Internal Improvement. And Now Re-printed with Considerable Additions and Amendments.... With 2 folding maps and a plate of Robert Weldon's Caisson Lock at Combe Hay, 320pp, recent full calf boards. First octavo edition, Bath: Printed by R. Cruttwell, 1797. £200.00
- Binding (Hilary) and Stevens (Douglas) THE BOOK OF MINEHEAD With Alcombe. Illusts, 160pp, dustwrapper. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 2000. £12.00
- Black (Clementina) THE LINLEYS OF BATH. With 13 plates, With an introduction by George Saintsbury. 300pp, dustwrapper. New Edition. London: Frederick Muller, 1971. £6.00
- Bowdler (Miss) POEMS AND ESSAYS, By the Late Miss Bowdler. The Ninth Edition. Published for the Benefit of the General Hospital at Bath. 274pp, early half calf, marbled boards, rubbed, lacks lettering piece, title-page slightly browned and spotty, 3 leaves loosening. Ninth Edition, Bath: Printed by R. Cruttwell, 1797. £28.00
- Boyce (Benjamin) THE BENEVOLENT MAN. A Life of Ralph Allen of Bath. Plates, xiv + 303pp, dustwrapper covered with a loose plastic sleeve. Harvard University Press. Cambridge, Massachusetts: 1967 £18.00
- Boys, editor THE BATH BUDGET. Edited by Boys. No 1 to No 5, (ii) + 36pp, continuously paginated, few local adverts, disbound, circular stain to title-page. Office: Stall Street, Bath: January 1857 - May 1857. £15.00
* Not found in Green's Bibliotheca Somersetensis. Includes a biographical sketch of Ralph Allen, but most of the articles are the usual adventure stories including 'Singular Adventures with a Lion.'
- Brereton (R.P) SOME CHURCH TOWERS OF SOMERSET. With 60 collotype plates, lacks the title, index and text leaf, 4to, recent cloth. No imprint, (1905) £20.00
- Britton (John) THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF WELLS; Including Biographical Notices and Anecdotes of the Bishops of the See of Bath & Wells. (iv) + 154pp, 8vo, original printed paper boards, lacks portions of spine, early ownership name to front pastedown. Francis & John Rivington, London & Thomas Green, Wells: 1847. £24.00
* This is a pocket edition of his larger illustrated work.
- Britton (John), and Peach (R.E.M) THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF BATH ABBEY CHURCH. Continued to the Present Time, with Additional Notes by R.E.M. Peach. With Six Illustrations. xix + 107pp, later half calf, cloth sides, marbled endpapers, top outer hinge partly cracked, few spots and small water stain to outer edge of frontis. Charles Hallett, Bath: 1887. £28.00
- Britton (John), and Peach (R.E.M) THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF BATH ABBEY CHURCH. Continued to the Present Time, with Additional Notes by R.E.M. Peach. With Six Illustrations. xix + 107pp, original cloth, gilt, frontis partly waterstained, slight spotting to title-page, lightly rubbed to corbers and to top outer hinge. Charles Hallett, Bath: 1887. £32.00
- Brooke (Leslie) THE BOOK OF YEOVIL. A Portrait of the Town. Numerous illusts, cr 4to, 148pp, partly faded dustwrapper. Includes 2 page list of subscribers. Signed by the author on the title-page. Barracuda Books Limited, Chesham: 1978. £15.00
- Brown (Bryan J.H.) and Loosley (John) THE BOOK OF WESTON-SUPER-MARE. The Story of the Town's Past. Numerous illusts, cr 4to, 148pp, includes 2 page list of subscribers, dustwrapper. Second Impression, Barracuda Books, Buckingham: 1983. £10.00
- Browne (J), publisher THE HISTORIC AND LOCAL NEW BATH GUIDE.... Containing.... An Account of the First Discovery of the Medicinal Virtues of its Waters.... Roman & Saxon Antiquities.... A Description of the Churches, Chapels, Hospitals.... Also of the Squares, Circus, Crescents.... Biographical Sketch of Rich. Nash Esq.... Likewise An Account of the City of Bristol, the Hotwells & Clifton, and a Concise History of Cheltenham.... Engraved frontis, folding plan, plate, 194pp, 12mo, recent qtr cloth paper boards, paper label on spine, original printed wraps bound in and pasted to blank sides of 2 leaves. Incorrect date in ink to foot of title-page. Second Edition. Bath: Printed and sold by J. Browne. (1802) £85.00
- Buckler (Rev. W) ILCHESTER ALMSHOUSE DEEDS. From the Time of King John to the Reign of James the First. A.D. 1200 - 1625. With Appendix: Containing Some Brief Topographical Notices of Ancient Ivelchester. Coloured folding plan, 204pp, with the Errata tipped in, original embossed cloth, short split to top of outer hinge. Tipped into the front are 2 pages on Ilchester from Maton's Observation on the Western Counties, and a 2 page review of the work from the Athenaeum. Printed and Published by W.H. Coates, Yeovil: 1866. £35.00
- Bulleid (Arthur) and Gray (H. St. George) THE GLASTONBURY LAKE VILLAGE. A Full Description of the Excavation and the Relics Discovered, 1892-1907. With plans, some of which are folding, and illusts. 2 volumes, xxvi + 351 and xl + pages numbered 353-724, 4to, original green buckram, gilt, t.e.g, boards slightly rubbed to edges, recased with old spines laid down, retaining the original endpapers, inner margins of 2 prelims, to volume 2, have some staining where cellotape once applied. First edition, Glastonbury Antiquarian Society, 1911-1917. £110.00
- [Bunn (Thomas)] A LETTER RELATIVE TO THE AFFAIRS OF THE PARISH OF FROME SELWOOD, IN SOMERSETSHIRE; Written for the information of His Majesty's Commissioners. With Notes and Observations on the Extinction of Pauperism in Great Britain. 109pp, disbound, ex-lib. with a couple of stamps to lower margins. Originally printed 1834. Second Edition, Frome: Printed by W.P. Penny, 1851. £130.00
* Mentions that :- 'Since the following letters were received the parish of Frome, has granted fifteen months pay of any poor family, now receiving parish relief, to assist them to emigrate to Canada.... ' Includes transcripts of letters from some of those who emigrated. Bunn was a prominent lawyer in Frome holding posts on many committees. He gave free advice to the poor, as well promoting education in the town.
- [Bunn (Thomas)] ANSWERS TO INQUIRIES RESPECTING FROME SELWOOD, IN SOMERSETSHIRE, transmitted by the Editors of the Imperial Cyclopedia, In London, and of the Imperial Gazetteer, In Glasgow. 38pp, disbound, ex-lib. with a stamp to verso of title-page and a couple to lower margins, prelims slightly spotty. Frome: Printed by W.P. Penny, 1851. £45.00
* A detailed description of the town including its institutions, and industries.
- Bush (R.J) and Corbett (G.U.S) NETTLECOMBE COURT I. The Trevelyans and other residents at the court. II. The Buildings. Folding plan, folding pedigree, plates, pages numbered 275-287, few small spots to original card covers. Reprinted (with corrections) from Field Studies, 1970. £8.00
- Bush (Robin) A TAUNTON DIARY 1787 - 1987. Two centuries of gossip, scandal, success and calamity in darkest Somerset. Numerous illusts, 144pp, cr 4to, dustwrapper. Numbered Limited Edition. With 2 page 'Subscribers List'. Barracuda Books, Buckingham: 1988. £15.00
* Signed by the author on the title-page.
- Bush (Robin) JEBOULT'S TAUNTON. A Victorian Retrospect. Numerous illusts, 116pp, cr 4to, dustwrapper. Numbered Limited Edition. With 4 page 'Subscribers List'. Signed by the author on the title-page. Barracuda Books Ltd., Buckingham: 1983. £15.00
- Chadwyck Healey (Charles E.H) HISTORY OF THE PART OF WEST SOMERSET Comprising the Parishes of Luccombe, Selworthy, Stoke Pero, Porlock, Culbone and Oare. Maps, folding pedigrees, illustrations some of which are coloured, ix + 557pp, untrimmed in recent half calf, raised bands, leather label, cloth boards, few small marks to covers, tape repair to short split of one map, pencil note to one margin, few spots to half-title. Tipped in at page 152 are 11 photo-copied pages on the Worth Family from 'Devonshire Wills by Worthy', tipped in at page 104 are 8 photo-copied pages on the Coplestone family from the 'Visitation of Cornwall'. LIMITED TO 380 NUMBERED COPIES. 350 of which are for sale. London, Henry Sotheran, 1901. £160.00 --- See sample text
- Chadwyck Healey (Charles E.H), editor INTRODUCTION TO THE VOLUME ENTITLED SOMERSETSHIRE PLEAS (Civil and Criminal), from the Rolls of the Itinerant Justices (Close of 12th Century - 41 Henry III.) 70pp, folding facsimile frontis, original cloth, Somerset Record Society. 1897. £15.00
* Includes 10 pages of appendices.
- Chadwyck Healey (Charles E.H) HISTORY OF THE PART OF WEST SOMERSET Comprising the Parishes of Luccombe, Selworthy, Stoke Pero, Porlock, Culbone and Oare. Maps, pedigrees some of which are folding, illustrations some of which are coloured, ix + 557pp, untrimmed in the original buckram, covers partly faded, couple of corners slightly bruised. Limited to 380 Copies. 350 of which are for sale. Henry Sotheran, London: 1901. £120.00 --- See sample text
- Chapple (Dave) SOLDIER SAVING LIVES: Keith Howard Andrews, Kilburn, Aldershot, Quetta, Shanghai, Spain, Dunkirk and Taunton. Numerous coloured and black and white illusts, 56pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. Somerset Socialist Library. Bridgwater: 2021. £6.00
* A glimpse of the life of an extraordinary man who Dave Chapple met 3 years before he died when Keith was 98 years old. He was a communist who fought against Franco in Spain, and signed up for the army in the second world war. After being demobbed he became a formidable campaigner for left wing causes, living at first in London, then moving to Devon and eventually to Taunton where he worked in Musgrove Park Hospital from 1955 until his retirement.
- Chard History Group CHARD IN 1851. Publication No. 5. 92pp, original pictorial card covers, few marks to rear cover. Chard History Group c.1995. £12.00
* Contains an analysis of the Chard census in 1851.
- Chard REPORT ON THE CORPORATION OF CHARD. (Somersetshire.) Title and pages numbered 1236-1242, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound. House of Commons, London: (1835) £12.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Chubb (T) A DESCRIPTIVE LIST OF THE PRINTED MAPS OF SOMERSETSHIRE 1575-1914. With Biographical Notes and Illustrations. With 16 plates, xii + 232pp, original cloth, few spots to top corner of top board. Taunton: Published by The Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1914. £40.00
- Church (Rev. C.M) THE EPISCOPATE OF REGINALD, BISHOP OF BATH (1174-1191), and his share in the Building of the Cathedral Church of Wells. Communicated to the Society of Antiquaries. 66pp, 4to, original printed wraps, later cloth tape spine, short tear to top wrap. Westminster: 1887. £15.00
- Clive-Ponsonby-Fane (Charles) WE STARTED A STATELY HOME. Pedigree, illusts, viii + 142pp, original pictorial laminated boards. Privately published, Brympton d'Evercy, Yeovil: 1980. £8.00
- Clutton Union STATEMENTS OF THE ACCOUNTS OF THE CLUTTON UNION and of the Clutton Rural District Council, in the County of Somerset, for the Half-Year ended Lady-Day, 1909. Folding table, 64pp, 12mo, original printed wraps, some spotting to foot of prelims. Purnell and Sons, Paulton, Radstock and Midsomer Norton: 1909. £12.00
* Includes lists with names of 'Lunatics', 'List of Persons in Clutton Union Workhouse', 'List of Out-Door Poor', etc.
- Clutton Union STATEMENTS OF THE ACCOUNTS OF THE CLUTTON UNION and of the Clutton Rural District Council, in the County of Somerset, for the Half-Year ended Lady-Day, 1913. Folding table, 66pp, 12mo, original printed wraps, wraps partly faded and spotty, top wraps slightly creased, rear wrap slightly ragged. Purnell and Sons, Paulton, Radstock and Midsomer Norton: 1913. £12.00
* Includes lists with names of 'Lunatics', 'List of Persons in Clutton Union Workhouse', 'List of Out-Door Poor', etc.
- Colby (Frederic Thomas), editor THE VISITATION OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET, IN THE YEAR 1623. (Harleian Society). viii + 164 + xiipp, roy 8vo, original cloth. With the armorial bookplate of William B. Broadmead, to front pastedown. First edition, London: Harleian Society, 1876. £80.00
- Coles (John) and Minnitt (Stephen) INDUSTRIOUS AND FAIRLY CIVILIZED' THE GLASTONBURY LAKE VILLAGE. With 2 folding plans, illusts, diagrams, plans, 213pp, 4to, pictorial laminated boards. Reprinted, Somerset Levels Project and Somerset County Council Museums Service, 2000. £12.00
- Collinson (Reverend John) HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET, Collected from Authentick Records, and an Actual Survey made by the late Edmund Rack. With a large folding engraved map of the county, 40 engraved plates and one engraving in the letterpress, lii + 45 + 277 and 508 and 648pp, 3 volumes of text, and with the plates and map bound in a separate volume, 4to, contemporary mottled calf, outer hinges partly cracked, though sound, contrasting leather labels on spines, marbled endpapers, usual occasional light foxing. Inset into the top cover of each volume are the arms of Robert Palk, and with his armorial bookplates to the front pastedowns. Palk was at one time the M.P. for Ashburton in Devon, and for a short time represented Wareham in Dorset. Each volume also contains the armorial bookplate of Andrew Lewis. First edition, Bath: Printed by R. Cruttwell. 1791. £550.00
- Compton (Theodore) A MENDIP VALLEY, Its Inhabitants and Surroundings, being an Enlarged and Illustrated Edition of Winscombe Sketches. With Original Illustrations by Edward Theodore Compton, and a Chapter on the Geological History of the Mendips by Prof. C. Lloyd Morgan. Numerous full page and textual illusts, 288pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, very lightly rubbed to edges, with 2 ownership names to front endpaper. London: Edward Stanford: Swindon: W.C. Eddington, 1892. £55.00
- Compton (Theodore) A MENDIP VALLEY, Its Inhabitants and Surroundings, being an Enlarged and Illustrated Edition of Winscombe Sketches. With Original Illustrations by Edward Theodore Compton, and a Chapter on the Geological History of the Mendips by Prof. C. Lloyd Morgan. Full page and text illusts, 292pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, endpapers darkened. Second Edition, London: Edward Stanford, and Swindon: Eddington & Cadbury, 1893. £50.00
- Compton (Theodore) WINSCOMBE SKETCHES of Rural Life and Scenery amongst the Mendip Hills. vi + 207pp, original cloth gilt. Second Edition Enlarged. William Poole, London: Preface dated 1882. £35.00
- [Conwy (Alwen)] THE PENNY ILLUSTRATED HISTORY OF BATH AND DISTRICT. Numerous adverts and illusts, 84pp, original pictorial wraps, covers lightly rubbed and creased, lacks spine. H.J. Harding, Bath: c.1898. £12.00
- Corner (Dennis) THE NEW BOOK OF PORLOCK. Past and Present. Numerous illusts, 160pp, 4to, dustwrapper. Halsgrove, Wellington: 2014. £20.00
- Corner (Dennis) THE BOOK OF PORLOCK. A Pictorial Celebration. Numerous illusts, 160pp, folio, dustwrapper. Signed by the author on the half-title. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 1999. £30.00
- Cottle (J) SOME ACCOUNT OF THE CHURCH OF SAINT MARY MAGDALENE, TAUNTON, And the Restoration thereof; Together with Several Notices on Ecclesiastical Matters. With 11 lithographic and engraved plates, including a plan, 128pp, red decorative borders to text, roy 8vo, original cloth, partly faded, splits to outer hinges, lacks approx. 1«" from head of spine, foot of spine chipped, some foxing mainly to edges of plates. Printed in Aid of the Fund for the Restoration of the Church of St. Mary Magdalene, By Vizetelly Brothers & Co. 1845. £20.00
- Cox (Jeff) WEST SOMERSET IN THE NEWS. The best stories - the personalities and events - from 150 years of the West Somerset Free Press. Illusts, 160pp, dustwrapper. Rylands, Wellington: 2010. £18.00
- Dallimore (John), and others SOMERSET VILLAGES. COMPTON DUNDON. An examination and analysis of sixty of the traditional houses and farms in the parish surveyed 2000 - 2002. Plates, diagrams, 87pp, pictorial card covers, few minor marks to covers. Somerset Vernacular Building Research Group, 2004. £16.00
- Daniel (W.E), editor THE PARISH REGISTER OF HORSINGTON IN THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET. 1558 - 1836. 217pp, loose and unbound. Frome-Selwood: Edward Green, 1907. £22.00
- Davis (Charles E) THE MINERAL BATHS OF BATH. The Bathes of Bathe's Ayde in the reign of Charles 2nd. As illustrated by a Drawing of the King's and Queen's Bath (signed) 1675. Whereunto is annexed a Visit to Bath in the year 1675 by a "Person of Quality." Frontis, facsimile plan, 86 + (xx)pp of adverts, 4to, original printed paper boards, crude later spine, top boards loose, shaken with one section of text held by strings, with 2 photographic reproductions of the Roman baths pasted to front endpapers. Bath: Printed by William Lewis and Son.... 1883. £12.00
- Davis (Charles Edward) ANCIENT LANDMARKS OF BATH, or notes of Pagan and Christian Antiquities in and around Aquae Sulis. With 2 folding plans, iv + 50pp, sm 8vo, original cloth, slight discolouration of top board and endpapers. Bath: William Lewis. London: Goodall and Son. 1864. £25.00
- Deane (Mary) MR. ZINZAN OF BATH; or Seen in an Old Mirror. A Novel. Frontis, 192pp, roy 8vo, original decorative cloth, covers partly lightly darkened. A.D. Innes, London: 1891. £10.00
* Set in Bath, Somerset, at the time of George II.
- Derrick (Freda) GOTHIC WANDERINGS IN SOMERSET. Illusts, xiii + 307pp, includes 2« page list of subscribers, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges, inscription to front endpaper. London: Simpkin, Marshall, Ltd., 1930. £15.00
- Dix (Angela) NORTH CURRY A Place in History. Plates, diagrams, Illusts, 239pp, small folio, original pictorial laminated boards. Angela Dix, North Curry: 2006. £18.00
- Duck (John N) THE NATURAL HISTORY OF PORTISHEAD: Comprising A Guide to the Locality, with An Appendix, Containing An Ornithological, Entomological, and Botanical Catalogue of the Neighbourhood. With 3 engraved views, the folding map is loose in facsimile, 65pp, 12mo, original printed card covers, covers slightly rubbed. Bristol: Evans and Abbot, 29 Clare-Street. 1852. £110.00
* This is an unusual edition as it is lettered on the top cover:- 'Hand Book to Portishead; with illustrations and a list of Birds, Lepidoptera, Insects, and Plants, found in the Locality. Bristol: Evans and Abbot, 29 Clare-Street. 1853.' Little is known about John Duck, he joined the Bristol Naturalists' Society in 1845, and gave talks at their meetings.
- Dunning (R.W) and McDermott (M.B) CHURCH ACCOUNTS 1457-1550. (Somerset) 328pp, original cloth. Index of names and places. Somerset Record Society, Volume 95. 2013. £24.00
- Dwelly (E) DWELLY'S NATIONAL RECORDS VOL 1. Hearth Tax for Somerset 1664-5. With Indices. Copied from the Original Rolls in the Public Record Office by R. Holworthy, F.S.G. 239 + (1)p, original cloth. Originally published 1916, Reproduced by Harry Galloway Publishing, Worle, Weston-super-Mare, 1994. £35.00
- Earle (John) A GUIDE TO THE KNOWLEDGE OF BATH ANCIENT AND MODERN Frontispiece map, folding plan, lacks the large folding map at rear, vi + (iv) + 350pp, original cloth, few short splits to rear outer hinge, stitching strained to one section, one plan slightly foxed. London: Longman, Green, Longman, Roberts and Green, Bath: S. Hayward, 1864. £25.00
* The large map is quite often missing as it is highly decorative with vignettes of many of the major buildings.
- [Edwards (John)], Agrikler of Wrington POEMS HUMOROUS AND PHILOSOPHICAL by Agrikler. New Series. xiii + 140pp, original decorative cloth. London: Griffith and Farran, and Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith, (1883) £10.00
- [Elton (A.M)] SKETCHES AND SCRAPS. Une Soiree Musicale. Une Soiree Litteraire. Une Soiree Dansante. Le Bois De Boulogne. An Ecclesiastical Scrap. 32pp, original printed card covers, covers slightly worn, lacks spine. Upper Clevedon: George Caple, "Mercury" Office, 1863. £22.00
- Elworthy (Frederic Thomas) AN OUTLINE OF THE GRAMMAR OF WEST SOMERSET. Illustrated by Examples of the Common Phrases and Modes of Speech now in Use among the People. 118pp, original cloth, slightly chipped to head of spine. Presentation inscription by the author to front endpaper. Published for the English Dialect Society. 1877. £45.00
- Elworthy (Frederic Thomas) THE EXMOOR SCOLDING AND COURTSHIP (Two dialogues of the beginning of the xviii, century); Also The Somersetshire Man's Complaint (A Poem of a Full Century Earlier). The original text edited, collated, and abridged with a complete transcript in glossic the vocabulary enlarged, and the whole illustrated with copious notes. 176pp, original cloth, some spotting to prelims, front inner hinge partly cracked, early worn paper label with manuscript title on spine. Clay and Taylor, Bungay: 1879. £60.00
- Falconer (Randle Wilbraham), M.D. THE BATHS AND MINERAL WATERS OF BATH. With 5 plates, 4 of which are folding, xiv + 54pp, sm 8vo, original limp cloth boards, slightly rubbed to edges, inner hinges cracked, ex-Bath lib. with label to front endpaper and stamp to verso of title-page. Fourth Edition, Enlarged. London: Robert Hardwicke, Bath: R.E. Peach, 1867. £15.00
- [Falconer (Rev. Thomas)] A LETTER TO THE REV. RICHARD WARNER. 43pp, disbound. With Falconer's name added in ink by an early hand to title-page. Bath: Printed by R. Cruttwell, 1804. £30.00
* Falconer questions Warner's sermon which was printed earlier in the year titled:- 'War inconsistent with Christianity.'
- Farbrother (John E) SHEPTON MALLET: Notes on its History, Ancient, Descriptive, and Natural. With 9 lithographic plates, 195pp, original cloth, small snag to head of top outer hinge, 3 corners of boards bruised, presentation inscription by the author on front endpaper. First edition. Shepton Mallet: Albert Byrt, London: G.A. Bartlett, (1859) £40.00
- Fisher (W. Bro. Wilfred G) THE HISTORY OF THE PROVINCIAL GRAND LODGE OF SOMERSET. With 7 plates, ix + 209pp, original cloth. Provincial Grand Lodge of Somerset, 1962. £20.00
- Flower (J.B), printer RULES OF THE SOMERTON RIFLE VOLUNTEER CORPS. Established A.D. 1860. 7pp, 12mo, original slightly dull printed wraps, pencil notes to verso of wraps. Somerton; J.B. Flower, (1860) £30.00
* With a list of the names of Captains, Sergeants and Corporals. Not in Green's Bibliotheca Somersetensis.
- Fortescue (Hon John) RECORDS OF STAG HUNTING ON EXMOOR. Illustrated by Edgar Giberne. Folding map, 286 + (1)pp, original decorative cloth gilt, slightly rubbed to edges, inner hinges cracked and weak. First edition, London: Chapman and Hall, 1887. £45.00
* With the engraved armorial bookplate of Edwin John Rawle. There is an ink note to the foot of the bookplate about Rawle:- 'Editor of Annals of the Royal Forest of Exmoor.'
- Freeman (Edward A) HISTORY OF THE CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF WELLS As Illustrating the History of The Cathedral Churches of the Old Foundation. Frontis, xvi + 200 + 42 pages of publishers adverts, original cloth, spine faded. London: Macmillan and Co. 1870. £15.00
- Freeman (H.W) THE THERMAL BATHS OF BATH, Their History, Literature, Medical & Surgical Uses & Effects. Together With the Aix Massage & Natural Vapour Treatment. Plates, some of which are folding, 379 + xx + (i)pp, original cloth, lacks half-title, repairs to verso on one map and to short tears of margins of a couple of leaves where carelessly opened. First edition, London: Hamilton, Adams & Co., Bath: Charles Hallet, 1888. £50.00
- Fussell (L.W) VIA OLD ENGLAND. With 19 illusts, 96pp, original cloth, light marks to cloth, internally sound, bookplate to front pastedown. First edition, XX Century Pilgrimage to Wellow, Somerset, L.W. Fussell, (1946) £12.00
* Concerns Wellow and includes a list of the vicars from 1312.
- George (W),and (R), printer SOMERSET. COPY OF THE COMMISSION OF THE PEACE. Dated the 7th of October, 1864. Acting Justices are distinguished by asterisks prefixed to their names. 47pp, original cloth, top outer and front inner hinge partly split, some slight spotting. W. and R. George, Wells: 1864. £22.00
- George (William) LYTES CARY MANOR HOUSE, SOMERSET, And its Literary Associations. With notices of Authors of the Lyte Family, from Queen Elizabeth to the Present Time. With mounted photo frontis, and one other mounted photo, 14pp, contemporary qtr roan, marbled boards, lacks small portion from head of spine, original wraps bound in, occasional light foxing. Bristol: William George, (1879) £20.00
- George (William) ON AN INSCRIBED STONE, AT OR NEAR ORCHARD WYNDHAM, SOMERSET, called "Old Mother Shipton's Tomb." With six illustrations, 32 +2 pages of publisher's adverts, half roan, marbled boards, rubbed, small portion missing from spine, affecting title. William George, Bristol: 1879. £40.00
- Glastonbury REPORT ON THE CORPORATION OF GLASTONBURY. (Somersetshire.) Title and pages numbered 1282-1286, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound. House of Commons, London: (1835) £16.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- [Goldsmith (Oliver)] THE LIFE OF RICHARD NASH ESQ. Late Master of the Ceremonies at Bath. Extracted principally from His Original Papers. Engraved portrait frontis, vi + 234 + (iv) pages of publisher's adverts, recent qtr cloth, paper boards, water stain to top corner of frontis, and to some margins to rear, some occasional foxing and browning to margins. Early ownership name in ink to title-page and to verso of frontis, private ownership stamp to title-page. First edition, London: J. Newberry, 1762. £45.00
- [Goldsworthy (E.F)] RECOLLECTIONS OF TAUNTON. by An Old Tauntonian. Folding map, illusts, 62 + 20 page index, dustwrapper. This is the first illustrated edition. Originally published 1883. Barnicotts Publications, Taunton. 1975. £12.00
- [Goldsworthy (E.F)] RECOLLECTIONS OF TAUNTON. by An Old Tauntonian. 62 + (2)pp, disbound. Second Edition: Barnicott and Son, Taunton: 1883. £12.00
- Goodchild (John) THE BOROUGH OF YEOVIL. Its History and Government Through the Ages. With 6 illustrations, 136pp, roy 8vo, original cloth slightly spotty, light waterstain to edges of first few leaves. Published by The Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of the Borough of Yeovil. 1954. £12.00
- Goodrich (Rev. P.J) FRESHFORD A Study. With 13 illusts, xiii + 130pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, fore-edges slightly spotty, bookplate to front pastedown. Oxford: For Private Circulation. 1929. £65.00
- Gosse (Philip) DR VIPER The Querulous Life of Philip Thicknesse. With 7 pages of Halftone Illustrations. 332pp, original cloth, light wear and few spots to cloth, lacks dustwrapper. First edition, Cassell and Company, London: 1952. £12.00
* 'For one thing he could claim, and with truth, to have been the discoverer of Gainsborough. He was a writer, not perhaps a very good writer, but his books of travel were much read and greatly admired.' Thicknesse died in Bath in 1742 where he had lived for many years.
- Gough (J.W) THE MINES OF MENDIP. Revised edition with new Preface by the author. With 2 folding maps, xiv + 269pp, dustwrapper lightly rubbed to edges. Second edition. David and Charles, Newton Abbot: 1967. £25.00
- Green (Emanuel) BIBLIOTHECA SOMERSETENSIS: A Catalogue of Books, Pamphlets, Single Sheets, and Broadsides in some way Connected with the County of Somerset. Volumes 2 and 3 of 3 only. 2 volumes, 559pp and 523pp, 4to, original cloth, rubbed and with some marks and damp spots, volume 2 lacks spine, the spine to volume 3 is loose, pages edges dusty. Taunton: Barnicott and Pearce, 1902. £90.00
* The major bibliography of the county and an invaluable reference work. These 2 volumes contain books on the county only. Volume 1 is devoted to Bath.
- Green (Emanuel) THE MARCH OF WILLIAM OF ORANGE THROUGH SOMERSET. With a notice of other local events in the time of King James II. A.D. 1688. 78pp, sm. 4to, original cloth, cloth slightly soiled, inner hinges slightly pulled. Printed for the Author. 1892. £36.00
- Greenwood (C) and (J) SOMERSETSHIRE DELINEATED: Being a Topographical Description of each Town, Parish, Chapelry, &c. In the County.... and useful as An Index to a Survey made in the Year 1821. 215 + 7pp, early paper boards, outer hinges partly cracked though sound, lacks approx 1" from base of spine, paper lettering piece chipped on spine. First edition, London: Printed by T. Bensley, Published by C. and J. Greenwood, 1822. £75.00
- Greswell (Rev. William H.P) THE LAND OF QUANTOCK. A Descriptive & Historical Account. With 15 plates and 3 maps, x + 308pp, uncut, original cloth, cloth chipped to head and foot of spine, some foxing. Limited to 250 Numbered Copies. Taunton: Barnicoat and Pearce, 1903. £95.00
- Grove (Mr Justice) TAUNTON ELECTION. Returned to an Order of the Honourable The House of Commons, dated 27 March 1874; "That a Copy of the Shorthand Writer's Notes on the Judgment delivered by Mr Justice Grove, in the Case of the Taunton Election Petition, on the 26th day of January 1874, be laid before this House." 5pp, docket title, recent cloth backed, unlettered card covers. Ordered by the House of Commons, to be Printed. 27 March 1874. £18.00
- Guidott (Thomas) ANGLO-BRITANNI, DE THERMIS BRITANNICUS TRACTATUS ACCESSERUNT OBSERVATIONES HYDROSTATICAE, CHROMATICAE, AND MISCELLANEAE, UNIUSCUJUSQ; BALNEI APUD BATHONIAM Naturam, Proprietatem, & Distinctionem, Curatius Exhibentes.... With 7 copper engraved plates, 3 of which are folding, imprimatur leaf, engraved and printed titles, sm 4to, contemporary panelled calf, later spine, leather label, top outer hinge cracked though sound, raised bands, small portion torn from front endpaper, waterstains to first few inner margins. First edition, Londini: Excudebat Franciscus Leach.... 1691. £180.00
* Wing G2191.
- Hall (C.J) "TANKY" ELMS Bath Stone Quarryman. Illusts, diagrams, sm 4to, 119pp, original pictorial card covers, some spotting to edges of top cover, private bookplate to verso of top cover. C.J. Hall, Corsham: 1984. £12.00
- Halliday (Maria) DESCRIPTION OF THE MONUMENT AND EFFIGIES IN PORLOCK CHURCH, Somerset, With Reasons Deduced from the Documents Pertaining to the Manor and Chantry of Porlock for Attributing the Tomb to the Memory of John, fourth Baron Harington of Aldingham and Elizabeth (Courtenay) his Wife, Afterwards Wife of William, Lord Bonville of Chewton, Somerset. With 11 plates 3 of which are coloured, 2 folding genealogical tables, 80pp, later half calf, raised bands, cloth boards, t.e.g., couple of prelims slightly ragged, and dusty to lower corner, light water staining to lower corners of a few plates. "Torquay Directory", Torquay: 1882. £60.00
- Halliday (Maria) DESCRIPTION OF THE MONUMENT AND EFFIGIES IN PORLOCK CHURCH, Somerset, With Reasons Deduced from the Documents Pertaining to the Manor and Chantry of Porlock for Attributing the Tomb to the Memory of John, fourth Baron Harington of Aldingham and Elizabeth (Courtenay) his Wife, Afterwards Wife of William, Lord Bonville of Chewton, Somerset. With 11 plates 3 of which are coloured, 2 folding genealogical tables, 80pp, original cloth, t.e.g., covers rubbed to edges and spotty, some foxing mainly to edges of some plates. "Torquay Directory", Torquay: 1882. £32.00
- Hamilton (Archibald) THE RED DEER OF EXMOOR. With Notes on those who hunted them. Illusts, xvii + 363pp, original cloth, spine slightly faded. First edition, London: Horace Cox, 1907. £45.00
- Hancock (F) MINEHEAD. In the County of Somerset. A History of the Parish, the Manor and the Port. Illusts and folding maps and plans, xiv + 468pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges, thin line mark from top to bottom of top cover, early ownership inscription to front endpaper. Limited to 250 numbered copies. First edition, Barnicott and Pearce, Taunton: 1903. £180.00
- Hancock (Frederick) THE PARISH OF SELWORTHY in the County of Somerset. Some notes on its History. With 9 plates, 6 pedigrees, 5 of which are folding, x + 308pp, original cloth, covers damp spotted, spine faded. LIMITED EDITION OF 200 COPIES. Taunton: Barnicott and Pearce, 1897. £70.00
- Handley (Chris) RADSTOCK COAL & STEAM. The Somerset & Dorset at Radstock and Writhlington. Volume 1: History, and Volume 2: Buildings, Locomotives and Workings. Numerous illusts, diagrams, 2 volumes, 160pp and 160pp, dustwrappers, bookplate to front pastedowns. Millstream Books. Bath: 1991 and 1992. £28.00
- Harbin (S.W.B) MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT FOR THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET. 3 plates of Arms, 203pp, original printed wraps, partly faded, couple of neat repairs to verso of top wrap. Taunton: Published for the Somersetshire Archaeological & Natural History Society. 1939. £25.00
- Harding and Curtis, Ltd. printer and publisher GUIDE THROUGH AND ROUND BATH Illusts, folding plan, xxxviii + 178 + 28 pages of adverts, original printed cloth covered card covers, foot of top outer hinge split.. Eleventh Edition, Bath: Printed and Published by Harding & Curtis, Ltd. c1903. £10.00
- [Harington (Henry)] BATH ANECDOTES AND CHARACTERS by the Genius Loci. 180pp, sm. 8vo, ex-lib. 3-180, lacks half-title, and publisher's advert leaf, ex-lib. with a few embossed stamps, later cloth, Harington's name and number in ink to title-page, title-page laid down with top margin and lower corner re-margined, not affecting text. Sold by Dodsley, London˙ and T. Shrimpton: Bath: 1782. £45.00
* Harington was born at Kelston, in 1727. He studied medicine and practised in Wells. In 1771 he moved to Bath where he became involved in politics and eventually became Mayor.
- Heard (Herbert) SHEPTON MALLET. NOTES ON THE CHARITIES OF THE TOWN. Portrait frontis, 96pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, couple of corners slightly bruised, light spotting to foot of boards. Shepton Mallet: A. Byrt and Son, 1903. £18.00
* Signed presentation inscription from the author's widow on the verso of the frontis.
- Hembrow (E.W) WINTER HARVEST The Story of Stoke St. Gregory a Somerset Village and its People. Illusts, 119pp, original pictorial card covers. Signed by the author on the title-page. Allandale Press, 1990. £15.00
- [Hervey (S.H.A)] Vicar WEDMORE PARISH REGISTERS Marriages 1561-1839. Burials 1561-1860 and Baptisms 1561-1812. 3 volumes, xiv + 151pp, and x + 367pp, and vii + 380pp, original cloth, slightly soiled, ex-University of London, with just their labels to front pastedowns. Wells: Printed and Published by E. Jackson, Wedmore: W. Pople, 1888 and 1890. £110.00
- [Hervey (S.H.A)] Vicar WEDMORE PARISH REGISTERS Baptisms 1561-1812. vii + 380pp, original cloth, spine faded and slightly soiled, with the withdrawn stamp of Somerset Record Office to the front endpaper. Wells: Printed and Published by E. Jackson, Wedmore: W. Pople, 1890. £50.00
- [Hervey (S.H.A)] Vicar WEDMORE PARISH REGISTERS Burials 1561-1860. x + 367pp, original cloth, spine faded and slightly soiled, with the withdrawn stamp of Somerset Record Office to the front endpaper. Wells: Printed and Published by E. Jackson, Wedmore: W. Pople, 1890. £50.00
- [Hervey (S.H.A)], Vicar THE WEDMORE CHRONICLE. Parts 2-7 of volume 1 only. Folding plan, illusts, covering pages viii + 39-394, 4to, bound from the original parts, in 2 volumes, bound in recent cloth with the original wraps bound in. J.M. Atkins, Wells and W. Pople, Wedmore: 1881-1897. £45.00
* Volume 2, which was the last volume, was issued in 1898.
- Hill-Cottingham (Dr Pat), Briggs (Derek), and others THE SOMERSET WETLANDS An Ever Changing Environment. Coloured illusts, 240pp, CD in pocket at rear, oblong 4to, dustwrapper, loosely inserted is a copy of the original prospectus. Somerset Books, Tiverton: 2006. £15.00
- Holmes (T. Scott) A REPORT TO THE CONVOCATION OF THE PROVINCE OF CANTERBURY ON THE ECCLESIASTICAL RECORDS OF THE DIOCESE OF BATH AND WELLS, To which is attached a Short Account of the Church plate now in the custody of the Dean and Chapter of Wells and the parochial clergy of Somerset. xxxi + 176pp, untrimmed in the original qtr cloth, printed paper boards, some spotting to prelims. Taunton: Barnicott and Pearce, The Wessex Press, 1914. £28.00
- Holmes (Thomas Scott) THE HISTORY OF THE PARISH AND MANOR OF WOOKEY; being a contribution towards a future History of the County of Somerset. Frontis., 2 plans, 164pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, spine darkened, endpapers discoloured, contemporary inscription to front pastedown. First edition, Bristol: C.T. Jefferies and Son, c.1885. £40.00
- Horne (Dom Ethelbert), with a Preface by Dr J. Charles Cox. PRIMITIVE SUN DIALS OR SCRATCH DIALS. Containing a list of those in Somerset. With a Preface by Dr J. Charles Cox. Illusts, xii + 90pp, original cloth, spine faded, cloth lightly rubbed to head and foot of spine, top corner of top board slightly bruised. Taunton: Barnicott and Pearce, The Wessex Press, 1917. £22.00
- Howell (Chris) ROUND HERE, IN THEM DAYS. Illusts, map endpapers, 140 unpaginated pages, oblong octavo, original pictorial card covers, private bookplate to verso of front endpaper. Printed by Fosseway Press Ltd., Radstock: 1980. £20.00
* This is the second volume where Howell interviews people from villages in North Somerset including:- Timsbury, Camerton, Dunkerton, Wellow, Writhington, Radstock, Kilmersdon, Stratton on the Fosse. Chilcompton, High Littleton, Midsomer Norton, etc.
- Hugo (Thomas) HISTORY OF MYNCHIN BUCKLAND PRIORY AND PRECEPTORY, In the County of Somerset. With 4 plates, 112pp, roy 8vo, original qtr roan, paper boards slightly rubbed, occasional foxing. Taunton: F. May, 1861. £48.00
- Hugo (Thomas) HISTORY OF THE HOSPITAL OF S. MARGARET, TAUNTON. With 2 plates, xx + 40pp, roy 8vo, original cloth. Limited to 50 copies. J.R. Smith, London: F. May, Taunton: 1860. £40.00
- Humphreys (Arthur L) THE SOMERSET ROLL, An Experimental List of Worthies, Unworthies, and Villains Born in the County. iv + 124pp, roy 8vo, original buckram partly faded and slightly soiled. London: Strangeways, Sold by Hatchards, 1897. £18.00
- Humphreys (Arthur L) THE MATERIALS FOR THE HISTORY OF THE TOWN OF WELLINGTON, CO. SOMERSET. Folding map, xv + 308pp, sm. 4to, untrimmed in the original, slightly marked, paper boards, later spine, covers slightly rubbed to edges. 50 Copies only of this Large Paper Edition Printed. London: Henry Gray, Wellington: Tozer and Gregory, 1889. £60.00
- Humphreys (Arthur L) SOMERSETSHIRE PARISHES A Handbook of Historical Reference to all Places in the County. xv + 856 + (i)pp errata, cr. 4to, untrimmed in the original 8 parts, original printed wraps, rear wrap of one part loose, and slightly ragged, one top wrap has portions missing from corners. London: [Hatchards], 1905. £125.00
- Hurley (Michael C), transcribed by ALL SAINTS, AISHOLT. Parish Register and Bishops' Transcripts Baptisms and Burials 1598-1949, Marriages 1598-1958 and Monumental Inscriptions 1620-1995. vi + 70pp, 4to, original pictorial printed wraps. Harry Galloway, Taunton: 1997. £14.00
- Hurley (Michael C), transcribed by SAINT MARY THE VIRGIN, CHARLINCH. Parish Registers and Bishop's Transcripts. Baptisms and Marriages 1593-1946. Burials 1583-1981. vi + 65pp, 4to, original cloth backed paper wraps. Harry Galloway, Taunton: 1996. £12.00
- Irvine (J.T) DESCRIPTION OF THE REMAINS OF THE NORMAN CATHEDRAL OF BATH, exposed during the repairs made between 1863 and 1872. With 2 plans, 10pp, recent paper boards, paper label on spine, head of spine bruised with paper hinge partly split, original printed wraps bound in. British Archaeological Association, 1890. £12.00
- Ives (A.G) KINGSWOOD SCHOOL IN WESLEY'S DAY AND SINCE. Plates, xiii + 264pp, couple of short tears to dustwrapper. Epworth Press, London: 1970. £8.00
- [Jeanes (Thomas)] A SEASON IN BATH: or, Letters from the Green Family, to their Friends in the Country. First Series. All published. 75pp, sm 8vo, original printed wraps, stitching broken, leaves loose. London: David Bogue and Simpkin Marshall, Bath: R.E. Peach, 1855. £15.00
* The letters are in verse.
- Jeboult (Edward) A GENERAL ACCOUNT OF WEST SOMERSET. Description of the Valley of the Tone & the History of the Town of Taunton. Illustrated by a New process of Photography and Heliotype. Illusts, [iv] + 132 + [ii] + 121 + 94pp, 4to, original cloth, covers rubbed, narrow strips of spine missing from head and foot, 2" split to rear outer hinge, usual occasional foxing. First edition. Somerset and Bristol Steam-Press, Taunton: 1873. £25.00
- Jennings (James) OBSERVATIONS OF SOME OF THE DIALECTS OF THE WEST OF ENGLAND, Particularly Somersetshire: with A Glossary of Words now in use there; and Poems and other Pieces exemplifying the Dialect. xxiv + 191pp, 12mo, untrimmed in early paper boards, slightly rubbed to edges, small strip missing from head and foot of spine, lacks lettering piece from spine, later endpapers. First edition. Printed by Baldwin, Craddock, and Joy, London: 1825. £55.00
- Jennings (James) THE DIALECT OF THE WEST OF ENGLAND. Particularly Somersetshire; With a Glossary of words now in use there; also with poems and other pieces exemplifying the dialect. Second Edition, The Whole Revised, Corrected and Enlarged, With Two Dissertations on the Anglo-Saxon Pronouns and other Pieces by James Knight Jennings. xxiv + 167pp, 12mo, original cloth, recent endpapers. Second Edition, London : John Russell Smith. 1869. £45.00
- Jewers (Arthur J), transcribed and annotated by THE PARISH REGISTERS OF STREET, in the County of Somerset. Baptisms and Marriages to 1755. Burials to 1762. iv + (i) + 90pp, early half roan, cloth boards rubbed, marbled endpapers, ex-Law Society library with 2 stamps to prelims. Exeter: William Pollard, 1898. £40.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF SOMERSETSHIRE 1927. Lacks map, 28 (adverts) + xx + 829pp, original cloth. London: Kelly's Directories Ltd. 1927. £85.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF WESTON-SUPER-MARE 1956. Numerous adverts, xvi + 6 + 446pp, original card covers, covers rubbed to edges, rear outer hinge split, couple of small portions missing from covers. Kelly's Directories Ltd., London: 1956. £22.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF WESTON-SUPER-MARE 1960. Adverts, xvi + 6 + 445pp, original card covers, rubbed to edges. Kelly's Directories, London: 1960. £15.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF WESTON-SUPER-MARE 1968. Numerous adverts, 440pp, original limp cloth, top cover slightly creased, page edges lightly browned, name in ink to top cover. Kelly's Directories Ltd., Kingston upon Thames: 1968. £15.00
- King (Austin J) and Watts (B.H) THE MUNICIPAL RECORDS OF BATH. 1189 to 1604. Published with the approval of the Town Council and at the special request of the Bath Literary Society. Facsimile frontis, 63 + xlivpp, sm 4to, original card covers, later crude cloth spine, stitching loosening, cellotape on top cover, Bristol University labels to verso of top cover and front endpaper, London: Eliot Stock, Bath: James Davies, (1885) £14.00
- King (Edward J) YEARS BEYOND MEMORY The Story of a South Somerset Village in its wider setting. With 10 plates, 134pp, few tears to ragged and partly faded dustwrapper, waters stain to portion of spine slightly overlapping onto top of dustwrapper, name to partly faded front endpaper. First edition. B.H. Blackwell Ltd. Oxford: 1954. £10.00
* The village is Misterton.
- King (J.E), editor INVENTORY OF PAROCHIAL DOCUMENTS IN THE DIOCESE OF BATH AND WELLS AND THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET. xiv + 400pp, few spots to original buckram. Somerset County Council Records Committee. 1938. £12.00
- Knight (Francis A) THE SEA BOARD OF MENDIP. An Account of the History, Archaeology and Natural History of the Parishes of Weston-super-Mare, Kewstoke, Wick St. Lawrence, Puxton, Worle, Uphill, Brean, Bleadon, Hutton, Locking, Banwell and the Steep & Flat Holms. Numerous illusts, folding map, xvi + 547pp, original limp leather, slightly rubbed to edges, a.e.g., marbled endpapers, signed by the author at the end of the Preface. Tipped in at the front are 2 illusts, one being of the author, the other being of 'Wintrath', his house at Sidcot. Around the borders of this illust is a description in ink possibly by Knight. First edition, London: J.M. Dent, 1902. £55.00
- Knight's Companion BATH. Engraved title and 24pp, disbound. (1851) £10.00
* See Green's Bibliotheca Somersetensis Vol 1, page 301. Intended as a guide for travellers on the railway, includes 2pp table of villages etc on the railway line with distances from Paddington and Bristol.
- [Lainson (A.E)] THE WILD FLOWERS OF CLEVEDON. By A.E.L. 67pp, original cloth gilt, spine faded. Clevedon: George James Caple, 1877. £55.00
- Le Neve (John), Compiled by B. Jones FASTI ECCLESIAE ANGLICANAE 1300 - 1541. Volume 8 Bath and Wells. xi + 97pp, couple of 1cm tears to head of dustwrapper. University of London: 1964. £9.00
- Leach (Peter), and others ILCHESTER Volume 1. Excavations 1974-5. Numerous diagrams and plans, 290pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. Western Archaeological Trust, 1982. £18.00
- Lewis (William), printer and publisher THE POST OFFICE BATH DIRECTORY 1924. Sixty-Seventh Year of Publication. Frontis, lacks plan, numerous adverts., 12mo, loose in the original cloth, cloth covered, except for portion at head of spine, with a transparent plastic sheet, top outer hinges split. Bath: William Lewis & Son, 1924. £35.00
- Lowndes (William) THE THEATRE ROYAL BATH. The eventful story of a Georgian playhouse. Plates, 91pp, dustwrapper partly faded. Redcliffe Press, Bristol: 1982. £10.00
- Maber (Roy) MORE MARTOCK MEMORIES The Story of a Somerset Village. Numerous illusts, 124pp, dustwrapper. Signed by the author on the front endpaper, and with a signed note from him loosely inserted. Privately Published, Martock: c.1993. £25.00
- MacMillan (A.S) POPULAR NAMES OF FLOWERS, FRUITS, &c., As used in the County of Somerset and the adjacent parts of Devon, Dorset and Wilts. 297pp, original cloth, name to front endpaper. Reprinted from the Somerset County Herald. Yeovil: 1922. £35.00
- MacMillan (A.S) SOMERSET EPITAPHS Second Series. "How" and "When" Death Came. Somerset Folk Series No 25. Frontis, xi + 181pp, 12mo, original cloth. London: Folk Press, 1926. £16.00
* Signed presentation inscription by the author on the front endpaper.
- MacMullen (Mrs Frederic) TAUNTON, or the Town We Live In. An Historical Sketch with Conversations. For the Use of Young Persons. With 6 engraved plates, iii + 175pp, 12mo, original cloth, partly faded, cloth chipped to head of spine, rear outer hinge split for most of it's length, slightly shaken, name to front endpaper. First edition, Longmans & Co, London: Frederick May, Taunton: 1858. £22.00
- Maggs (Colin G) THE WESTON, CLEVEDON AND PORTISHEAD LIGHT RAILWAY. Illusts, maps, 160pp, tall 8vo, dustwrapper, bookplate to verso of front endpaper. Second Enlarged Edition, Oakwood Press, Headington: 1990. £20.00
- Mainwaring (Captain Rowland) ANNALS OF BATH, From the Year 1800 to the passing of The New Municipal Act. Lithographic frontis, xxviii + 484pp, roy 8vo, early half calf, recent spine, raised bands, leather label, marbled boards, and page edges, light spotting to prelims. Bath: Printed by Mary Meyler and Son. 1838. £125.00
- Marsh (T.E.M) REPORT OF T.E.M. MARSH, C.E. WIDCOMBE BRIDGE, BATH. Accident, 6th June, 1877. 8pp, small folio, original printed wraps, folded, a few embossed library stamps. William Lewis, "The Bath Herald" Office, Bath: July, 1877. £35.00
* This report was issued with 2 separate 'drawings' which are not present with this copy. The original wooden bridge was destroyed, killing 8 people, by a flood in 1877. It was replaced with a wrought iron lattice metal bridge designed by Marsh.
- Marshall (Edward Shearburn) A SUPPLEMENT TO THE FLORA OF SOMERSET. iv + 242pp, original cloth. Taunton: Published by the Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society. 1914. £35.00
- Martin (Benjamin) THE NATURAL HISTORY OF SOMERSETSHIRE. With an engraved folding map by Bowen, a folding plan of Bath and one plate showing 2 views, pages numbered 53-88, complete, disbound. London: Printed and Sold by W. Owen. 1759. £75.00
* Taken from his work entitled 'The Natural History of England.... ' One of the views is of 'Okey Hole.' (Wookey Hole.)
- Master (Rev. George S) COLLECTIONS FOR A PAROCHIAL HISTORY OF FLAX BOURTON. With 4 plates, 28pp, original printed wraps, spine partly split, wraps slightly chipped. Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society. Bristol: Lavars and co., 1893. £22.00
- Maxwell (Donald) UNKNOWN SOMERSET. Being a series of unmethodical Explorations of the County illustrated in line and colour by the Author. 209pp, plates and textual illusts, 4to, untrimmed in the original cloth, lightly rubbed, few light damp marks to cloth. First edition, London: John Lane the Bodley Head, 1927. £18.00
- Maxwell-Lyte (H.C.) DUNSTER AND ITS LORDS 1066-1881. With A Descriptive Sketch Of Dunster Castle by G.T. Clarke, and a chapter on The Siege and Surrender Of Dunster Castle by E. Green. Numerous plates and plans, viii + 145pp, roy 8vo, original buckram, gilt, recased retaining the original endpapers, with the old spine laid down, corners slightly rubbed, usual occasional foxing. LIMITED TO 200 COPIES. Exeter: Printed for Private Circulation, William Pollard, 1882. £180.00
* Presentation slip tipped onto the front pastedown 'With Mrs Luttrell's compliments.'
- Maxwell-Lyte (Sir H.C.) A HISTORY OF DUNSTER AND OF THE FAMILIES OF MOHUN AND LUTTRELL. Plates and textual illustrations, 2 volumes, xxi + 328 and 329 - 596pp, roy 8vo, original buckram, slightly rubbed to edges, reference library label to front pastedown and small stamp to title-page. First edition, London: The St. Catherine Press Ltd. 1909. £125.00
- Mayberry (Tom) and Binding (Hilary), editor SOMERSET The Millenium Book. Coloured and black and white plates, 144pp, small folio, dustwrapper. Somerset Books, Tiverton: 1999. £10.00
- McCann (John and Pamela) THE DOVECOTES OF HISTORICAL SOMERSET. Coloured and black and white illusts, 231pp, tall 8vo, original pictorial card covers, top corner slightly bruised, private bookplate to verso of top cover. Somerset Vernacular Building Research Group, 2003. £15.00
- McGarvie (Michael) THE BOOK OF MARSTON BIGOT. The Story of Marston House and the Earls of Cork and Orrery. Numerous illusts, cr 4to, 184pp, dustwrapper, bookplate to verso of front endpaper. Limited Numbered Edition, signed by author. Barracuda Books Ltd., Buckingham: 1987. £25.00
- Meehan (J.F) A FEW OF THE FAMOUS INNS OF BATH AND DISTRICT. Illusts, 43pp, original printed wraps are loose. B. & J.F. Meehan, Bath: 1913. £10.00
- Meehan (J.F) FAMOUS HOUSES OF BATH AND DISTRICT. with, MORE FAMOUS HOUSES OF BATH AND DISTRICT. First volume, illustrated with about Sixty Reproductions of Original Drawings and Rare Prints in the Possession of the Author. xiv + 228pp. Bath: 1901..... With.... Second volume, illustrated with about Fifty Reproductions of Original Drawings and Rare Prints.... xvi + 248pp. Bath: 1906. 2 volumes, roy 8vo, original cloth, spines slightly faded, private ownership stamp to front endpaper, the first volume has the original 8pp prospectus tipped in at the front, the foot of the top board is damp marked and spotty, and on the rear board is a approx 1" dia. stain. few small spots to cloth of second volume. ONLY 500 COPIES PRINTED. B. & J.F. Meehan, Bath: 1901 - 1906. £85.00 --- See sample text
- Meek (Marion) THE BOOK OF WELLS. Numerous illusts, cr 4to, 128pp, includes 2 page list of subscribers, slightly faded, dustwrapper. Buckingham: Barrucuda Books Ltd. 1980. £10.00
- Melville (Lewis) BATH UNDER BEAU NASH - AND AFTER. Illusts, xviii + 321pp, original decorative cloth, contemporary inscription on front endpaper, occasional light spotting. First edition, Bath: S.W. Simms, London: Eveleigh Nash, 1907. £15.00
- Michael (W) HISTORICAL ASSOCIATIONS OF THE WELLS CATHEDRAL. Engraving, 8pp, sm 8vo, original printed top wrap, lacks lower wrap, light spotting. W. Michael, Bookseller. &c. Westbury Wilts. c.1870. £10.00
SOMERSET ANTIQUARIAN BOOKS
Not all of my books are on line.
For a further selection and to receive my latest catalogue please E-mail :- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mitchell (Vic) and Smith (Keith) BRANCH LINE TO CHEDDAR including the Wrington Vale Light Railway. Numerous illusts, maps, 96 unpaginated pages, original pictorial laminated boards, bookplate to front endpaper. First edition, Middleton Press, Midhurst: 1997. £15.00
- Morris (J.W.), editor HANDBOOK TO BATH Prepared on the Occasion of the Visit of The British Association, 1888. By Various Authors. Folding map. v + 264pp, covers slightly rubbed, and spotty, small hole to top outer hinge, ex-lib. with label to front endpaper and stamp to verso of title-page, map has been removed from pocket at the rear, and tipped in opposite tht title page,. Isaac Pitman and Sons, Bath: (1888) £8.00
- Moss (C.E) GEOGRAPHICAL DISTRIBUTION OF VEGETATION IN SOMERSET: Bath and Bridgwater District. Illusts, large coloured folding map, 71pp, later cloth, short tape repair to verso of map, few small marks to covers. London: The Royal Geographical Society, 1907 £20.00
- Needell (Keith) PRINTED MAPS OF SOMERSETSHIRE 1575-1860. Folding sketch map, 347pp, 2 leaves of the Appendix are bound in upside down, original cloth. Second edition, revised, Privately published, Muswell Hill, London: 1997. £35.00
* 'The listing is intended to help identify individual maps (of the whole county) that have become separated from their parent atlas or book.'
- Nelson (T), printer BATH AND ITS NEIGHBOURHOOD. Nelson's Pictorial Guide-Books. With 10 tinted engraved plates, 1 of which is double-page, 48pp of text, oblong 16mo, recent cloth with original wrap pasted onto top board, small stain to top corner of margin of a couple of plates. T. Nelson, London: c.1872. £35.00
- Norman (George) TRANSACTIONS OF SOMERSET MASTERS LODGE, No 3746. 1927. With 6 illusts, 209pp, original wraps. Bath: (1927) £10.00
* Includes chapters on William Stukeley and George Oliver.
- Northern Division THE REGISTER OF PERSONS ENTITLED TO VOTE AT ANY ELECTION OF A MEMBER TO SERVE IN PARLIAMENT FOR THE NORTHERN DIVISION of the County of Somerset, And of Persons entitled to Vote at Elections of County Councillors For the Electoral Divisions Wholly or Partly Contained in the said Northern Division, And of Persons Entitled to Vote as Parochial Electors for the Parishes or Districts in the said Northern Division, For the Year commencing on the 1st day of January, 1900. Over 500 leaves, printed on one side only, giving Names, Addresses, Nature of Qualification and Description of Qualifying Property, 4to, original printed wraps, slightly dusty, clear tape applied to head and foot of top outer hinge, rust stains, from staples to front endpaper, bookplate to verso of top cover. Printed at the Selwood Printing Works, Frome and London: 1899. £78.00
* Includes the Polling Districts of:- Backwell, Bedminster, Bishops Sutton, Brislington, Chew Magna, Chew Stoke, Chewton, Mendip, Chilcompton, Clandown, Clevedon, Clutton, Dundry, Easton-in-Gordano, Farmborough, Farrington Gurney, Keynsham, Knowle, Long Ashton, Marksbury, Midsomer Norton, Nailsea, Paulton, Pensford, Portishead, St. Anne's Timsbury, West Harptree, Winford, Yatton.
- Olivey (Hugh P) NORTH CURRY; Ancient Manor and Hundred. Notes on the History of three Parishes: North Curry, Stoke St. Gregory, West Hatch, contained therein. Illusts, folding table, xiv + 348pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, some damp spotting to foot and edges of boards, internally sound, foxing to fore-edges, head and foot of spine slightly bruised. First edition, Taunton: Barnicott & Pearce, Athenaeum Press, 1901. £45.00
- Parker (John Henry) THE ARCHITECTURAL ANTIQUITIES OF THE CITY OF WELLS. Illustrated by Plans and Views. viii + 91 + 8pp (publishers adverts), original cloth, partly faded, bookplate to front pastedown. Oxford and London: James Parker and Co., 1866. £40.00
- Penley (Belville S) THE BATH STAGE: A History of Dramatic Representations in Bath. Illustrated. xv + 196pp including 14pp. of adverts, original cloth. London: William Lewis & Son, and Bath: 1892. £25.00
- Phelps (Rev. W) HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF SOMERSETSHIRE; being a General and Parochial Survey of that interesting County, to which is prefixed an Historical Introduction, with a Brief View of Ecclesiastical History; and an Account of the Druidical, Belgic-British, Roman, Saxon, Danish, and Norman Antiquities. With 5 maps, and 45 engraved and lithographed plates, several woodcuts in the text, folding pedigree, 2 volumes, xiii + v-vii + 599 + (1)pp and 274 + (1)pp, early half morocco, marbled boards, and page edges, raised bands, very lightly rubbed to edges, neatly recased retaining the marbled endpapers, and with the original spines laid down, some foxing to endpapers, and the occasional plate, small amount of early marginalia. Printed for the Author. London: J.B. Nicholls, 1836. £530.00
* With the engraved armorial bookplate of Gould in each volume. Four volumes were projected but only the first two were published. They cover the early history of the county as well as chapters on:- Caverns; Mines, Minerals, etc. Hundred of Norton Ferrers (Pen-Selwood, Wincanton, Kilmington, etc); Hundred of Bruton (Brewham, Milton Clevedon, Pitcombe, Yarlington, etc.) Hundred of Horethorne (Milborne Port, Horsington, Trent, etc.); Hundred of Catsash (Castle-Cary, North and South Cadbury, Babcary, Alford, etc.); Hundred of Glastonbury (Meare, West Pennard, etc.); Hundred of Wells-Forum (Wells, Wookey, Dinder, etc.) Hundred of Whitstone (Shepton Mallet, Croscombe, Pilton, Ditcheat, etc.)
- 'Philo-Baldud' CAUSES AND EFFECTS; OR BATH IN MDCCCXL. A Rider to the Letter of Lud Hudibras, by Philo-Bladud. Addressed to the Community. 20pp, disbound, few spots. Bath: Meyler and Son. 1840. £18.00
- [Plowman (T.F)] SOME COUNTRY-SIDE FOLK. By one who has known them (Otherwise T.F.P.) Illusts, roy 8vo, 47pp, original printed boards. Reprinted from "The Bath Chronicle and Argus." Bath: 1911. £10.00
- Poole (Charles Henry) THE CUSTOMS SUPERSTITIONS AND LEGENDS OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET. Collected from various sources. 147pp, 12mo, original printed card covers. Second Edition, The Toucan Press, Guernsey: 1970. £6.00
- Poole (Sharon) WESTON-SUPER-MARE. A Pictorial History. With frontis and 181 photographic illusts, 4to, dustwrapper, small ownership sticker to title-page. Phillimore, Chichester: 1995. £12.00
- Porter v Clarke IN CHANCERY. PORTER AND OTHERS, V. CLARKE AND OTHERS. The Plaintiff's Reply to the Defendants' Statement, Called by them "The Case of the Baptist Church, Meeting in Somerset Street, Bath." 38pp + Index leaf, disbound, stitching broken, loose, top leaf slightly soiled with small portions of corners missing, some corners curled, date and names in ink on title-page. Bath: Printed & Sold by E. Smith, 2, Southgate Street. 1829. £30.00
- Powell (Rev A.H) ANCIENT BOROUGH OF BRIDGWATER. Plan, folding map and 9 plates, v + 311pp, original cloth. Page and Sons, Bridgwater: 1907. £20.00
- Powell (Rev A.H) BRIDGWATER IN THE LATER DAYS. Map and Illusts, viii + 296pp, includes 5« pages of subscribers, untrimmed in the original cloth, top board damp spotted, and very slightly warped. Bridgwater: Page and Son, 1908. £15.00
- Poynton (Rev. Francis J) MEMORANDA, HISTORICAL AND GENEALOGICAL RELATING TO THE PARISH OF KELSTON, in the County of Somerset. In Four Parts. Plates, pedigrees and facsimiles, xii + 28 + vii + 34pp + 37pp, + 110pp, 4to, contemporary half calf, cloth boards, cloth slightly soiled, leather label on spine, covers lightly rubbed to edges, short split to top outer hinge, bound by David Chivers, Bath. Horizontal tear to one leaf neatly repaired. Presentation inscription from the author on front endpaper to the library of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society. With a similar inscription to the title-page of part 3, at the foot of this page is a Bristol Museum stamp. Privately Printed. Mitchell and Hughes, London: 1878-85. £200.00
* The parts were issued in 1878, 1879, 1880 and 1885. each with separate title-pages.
- Price (Laurence N) SCRATCH DIALS of Old Axbridge and Long Ashton Districts of North West Somerset. With 2 illustrations and 32 actual photographs each neatly tipped in, folding map, this being a reprint of the map of North Somerset from John Rutter's Delineations.... 1829, 91 pages, each page has a double-line border and forms one side of a folded (looped) sheet, with its ends bound in, the photographs are pasted opposite a leaf with short title and description, cloth binding, leather label on spine, marbled endpapers. The half-title is signed by the publisher, and with a signed presentation by the author. Limited Edition of 6 numbered copies, signed copies. Sun and Harvest Publications, Weston-super-Mare: 1991. £70.00
* Contains short chapters on 'Early Studies,' 'Types,' 'Origins,' and a section on the survey the author undertook in 1990 and 1991.
- Pring (James Hurly) THE BRITON AND THE ROMAN ON THE SITE OF TAUNTON. Illusts, 136pp, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges, rear outer hinge partly split. W. Cheston, Printer, Taunton: 1880. £20.00
- Quarter Sessions RESOLUTIONS, RULES, ORDERS AND REGULATIONS, OF THE COURT OF GENERAL QUARTER SESSIONS OF THE PEACE, OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET, with an Appendix. Folding table, 156pp, contemporary full calf, top hinge held by strings, short split to head of back outer hinge, the first portion of the book is interleaved with blanks. Taunton: Printed by J.W. Marriott, Taunton Courier and General Printing-Office, East Street. 1817. £75.00
* Gives details of fees charged by clerks, and the amounts raised from each hundred for the courts. Not in Green's Bibliotheca Somersetensis. With the engraved armorial bookplate of G.M.B. Napier.
- Rawle (E.J) ANNALS OF THE ROYAL FOREST OF EXMOOR. Compiled Chiefly from Documents in the Record Office together with some Account of the Forest Laws and Charters and Officers. Frontis, plate, coloured double-page map, xi + 165pp, folio, untrimmed in the original cloth-backed boards, lacks spine, edges slightly rubbed, ex-lib. with label to front pastedown, and stamp and numbers to verso of title-page. LIMITED TO 50 NUMBERED LARGE PAPER COPIES. Initialled by the publishers. Taunton: Barnicott and Pearce, 1893. £35.00
- Rawle (Edwin John) ANNALS OF THE ROYAL FOREST OF EXMOOR Compiled Chiefly from Documents in the Record Office together with Some Account of the Forest laws and charters and Officers. With coloured folding map, and 2 plates, xi + 163pp, includes 4« page list of subscribers, 4to, untrimmed in the original cloth-backed boards, paper label on spine slightly chipped, endpapers discoloured as usual. LIMITED TO 350 COPIES. Taunton: Barnicott and Pearce, 1893. £60.00
* With the bookplate of J.F. Chanter, local author, who was one of the original subscribers.
- Raymond (Walter) THE BOOK OF CRAFTS AND CHARACTER 272 + 8 pages of publishers adverts, original cloth, small snag to head of spine, few spots to prelims and fore-edges. First edition, Hodder and Stoughton, London: 1907. £8.00
* A series of essays on various Somerset characters and craftsmen.
- Raymond (Walter) TRYPHENA IN LOVE With 6 illustrations by I. Walter West, 176pp, 12mo, untrimmed in the original cloth. First edition, London: J.M. Dent & Co. 1895. £20.00
* A novel set in Middleney, Somerset.
- Roberts (William) MEMOIRS OF THE LIFE OF MRS HANNAH MORE. A New Edition, Abridged. Engraved portrait frontis, viii + 472pp, sm 8vo, contemporary full calf, raised bands, leather label, spine faded, lightly rubbed to edges, marbled endpapers, and page edges, bookplate to verso of front endpaper. R.R. Seeley and W. Burnside, London: 1838. £38.00
- Rogers (T.E) RECORDS OF YARLINGTON: Being the History of a Country Village. 94pp, sm 4to, uncut, original cloth, partly faded. Tipped in at the front is a handwritten letter, signed by the author, on one side of an 8vo leaf. First edition, London: Elliott Stock, 1890. £40.00
- Rogers (T.E) RECORDS OF YARLINGTON: Being the History of a Country Village. 94pp, sm 4to, uncut, original cloth, ex-university lib. with label, and small stamp to front pastedown, presentation inscription to front endpaper. First edition, London: Elliott Stock, 1890. £20.00
- Rutter (J) DELINEATIONS OF THE NORTH WESTERN DIVISION OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET. And of its Antediluvian Bone Caverns, with A Geological Sketch of the District. Illustrated with 12 engraved and lithographed plates, folding coloured map, wood-cut vignettes, EXTRA ILLUSTRATED with the suite of 20 additional lithographed plates, xvi + (iv) + 349pp, later half calf, cloth boards, raised bands, leather label, usual occasional light spotting, some green tinged discolouration to calf on boards from the cloth, all edges gilt. Printed and Published by the Author, Shaftesbury: Longman, Rees, and Co., London: 1829. £180.00
- Rutter (John) DELINEATIONS OF THE NORTH WESTERN DIVISION OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET. And of its Antediluvian Bone Caverns, with A Geological Sketch of the District. Illustrated with 12 engraved and lithographed plates, folding coloured map, vignettes, 349pp, early half calf, leather label, marbled boards, and endpapers, top hinge almost broken, rubbed, usual occasional foxing. Printed and Published by the Author, Shaftesbury: Longman, Rees and Co., London: 1829. £40.00
- Rutter (John) DELINEATIONS OF THE NORTH WESTERN DIVISION OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET. And of its Antediluvian Bone Caverns, with A Geological Sketch of the District. Illustrated with 12 engraved and lithographed plates, folding coloured map, textual vignettes, xxiv + 349pp, untrimmed in full calf, slightly rubbed, slightly chipped to head and foot of spine, couple of short splits to head and foot of top outer hinge, marbled endpapers, occasional foxing, one plate, and opposite text browned. LARGE PAPER COPY. Printed and Published by the Author, Shaftesbury: 1829. £135.00
- Sanford (W.A) ON THE PLEISTOCENE MAMMALIA OF SOMERSET. Catalogue of Bones in the Museum of the Archaeological and Natural History Society at Taunton. No 1.- Felis. (all published). 4to, unbound, stitched as issued, 60pp, uncut, partly unopened. Taunton 1868.... With the folio volume of 26 lithographed plates on 19 sheets, plates loose as issued, original wraps loose, split at spine and now slightly ragged. Taunton: Printed by F. May, for Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, 1868. £150.00
* Very scarce.
- Saunders (G.W) NOTES ON THE HISTORY OF MARTOCK. Illusts, 120pp, original cloth-backed boards, slight signs where 2 labels removed from top board. The Western Gazette, Yeovil: Preface dated 1935. £40.00
- Savage (James) HISTORY OF THE HUNDRED OF CARHAMPTON, in the County of Somerset. With a frontis, xxiv + 662pp, original cloth. This reprint does not include the large folding map that was in the original edition published in 1830. Reprinted Higginson Book Company, Salem: n.d. £28.00
- Savage (James) HISTORY OF THE HUNDRED OF CARHAMPTON, in the County of Somerset. With a frontis, and a folding hand coloured geological map, xxiv + 662pp, roy 8vo, partly faded later cloth, occasional foxing, some off-setting. LARGE PAPER COPY. Bristol: William Strong, Clare Street. 1830. £150.00
- Savage (James) HISTORY OF THE HUNDRED OF CARHAMPTON, in the County of Somerset. With a frontis, and a folding hand coloured geological map, xxiv + 662pp, later qtr morocco, cloth boards, frontis off-set, light spotting to frontis and title-page, couple of splits to folds of map. Bristol: William Strong, Clare Street. 1830. £135.00
- Savage (James) HISTORY OF THE HUNDRED OF CARHAMPTON, in the County of Somerset. With a frontis, and a folding hand coloured geological map, xxiv + 662pp, 4to, full contemporary calf, raised bands, spine gilt tooled, top outer hinge cracked though sound, marbled endpapers, frontis spotty and off-set, map partly off-set. LARGE PAPER COPY. LIMITED TO 12 COPIES. Bristol: William Strong, Clare Street. 1830. £200.00
* With the bookplate of Charles Edward H. Chadwyck Healey and a letter to him loosely inserted. There is a note on the second front endpaper :- 'Largest paper - only 12 copies printed.' it also mentions that the book was bought at a Christie's sale in 1888. See also Green. Bibliotheca Somersetiensis, volume 3 page 229, for verification of the number of copies.
- Scarth (H.M) AQUAE SULIS, OR NOTICES OF ROMAN BATH. With Fifty-Two Illustrations by C.S. Beckett. Two folding plans, 137 + (iii)pp, 4to, original cloth, corners slightly bruised, small snags to head of spine, short snag to head of spine, occasional light foxing. London: Simpkin Marshall, & Co. Bath: R.E. Peach. 1864. £55.00
- Scarth (Rev. H.M) and Stothert (Caroline M.K) PICTURESQUE BATH. Illustrated by A Series of Sketches from Nature by Caroline M.K. Stothert. Edited by The Revd. H.M. Scarth. With 20 tinted lithographed plates, + 10pp, folio, a.e.g. original cloth gilt, very lightly rubbed to edges, later endpapers. London: Henry Sotheran & Co., 1881. £105.00
* Includes views of Bath from Beacon Hill; Village of Weston; Newton St. Looe; Prior Park; Village of Conkwell; Pulteney Bridge, etc.
- Sellick (Roger) THE WEST SOMERSET MINERAL RAILWAYS and the story of the Brendon Hills Iron Mines. With contributions by J.R. Hamilton and M.H. Jones. Illusts, folding map, 126pp, portion of top corner of top of dustwrapper torn away, not affecting text, dustwrapper covered in adhesive transparent plastic sheet. First edition, David & Charles, Dawlish: 1962. £12.00
- Shickle (Rev. C.W) ANCIENT DEEDS BELONGING TO THE CORPORATION OF BATH XII - XVI Cent. Translated and Epitomised by The Rev. C.W. Shickle M.A., F.S.A., V.D. Master of St. John's Hospital, Bath. Honorary Chaplain of the Territorial Forces. Frontis, 2 plans, xvi + 165pp, folio, original qtr calf, buckram boards, ex-lib. with label to front pastedown and a few small stamps. Published by the Bath Record Society in co-operation with the Bath City Council. 1921. £20.00
- Shillibeer (H.B) THE ANCIENT CUSTOMS OF THE MANOR OF TAUNTON DEANE; Collected from the Records of the Manor.... To which are prefixed, some Introductory Observations on Copyholds In General, and Remarks on Those of This Manor.... vii + 132 + xxixpp, unbound, untrimmed in the original unstitched sections, title and 3 leaves slightly dusty and marked, small hole and neat repair to last leaf. Printed by T. Parkhouse, Tiverton, for the Author: 1821. £18.00
- Shillibeer (H.B) THE ANCIENT CUSTOMS OF THE MANOR OF TAUNTON DEANE; Collected from the Records of the Manor.... To which are prefixed, some Introductory Observations on Copyholds In General, and Remarks on Those of This Manor.... vii + 132 + xxixpp, untrimmed in the original paper boards, lacks 2" from foot of spine, paper label on spine, covers slightly rubbed and spotty, short tear and small piece missing from top margin of title, endpapers spotty. Printed by T. Parkhouse, Tiverton, for the Author: 1821. £75.00
- Sixsmith (R.A) STAPLE FITZPAINE AND THE FOREST OF NEROCHE. Maps, 2 of which are folding, illusts, 100pp, dustwrapper has portions missing from foot at rear and slightly ragged to the foot at the front, and small portion missing from top corner, name to front endpaper. Privately Published. Taunton: 1958. £35.00
- Skinner (John), editors Howard Coombs, and Rev. Arthur N. Bax A JOURNAL OF A SOMERSET RECTOR. John Skinner, A.M., Antiquary 1772-1839. Parochial Affairs of the Parish of Camerton, 1822-1832. With 3 plates and a map, xxv + 310pp, original cloth, some spotting to fore-edges and to front and rear endpapers. First edition. London: John Murray. 1930. £36.00
- Skrine (H.D) SOME ACCOUNT OF THE BELGIC CAMP ON HAMPTON DOWN. A Paper Read to the Members of the Bath Selborne Society on the Site of the Belgic Camp, April 8, 1897. Map, 10pp, 12mo, original wraps. Signed by the author on the top wrap. Privately Printed, Bath: 1897. £10.00
- Smith (Cecil) BIRDS OF SOMERSETSHIRE. 643pp, 12mo, original cloth. First edition, London: John Van Voorst, 1869. £55.00
- Smith (D.I), and Drew (D.P), compiled and edited by LIMESTONES AND CAVES OF THE MENDIP HILLS. With 36 plates, textual illusts, 424pp, dustwrapper. Newton Abbot: David and Charles, Published for The British Cave Research Association. 1975. £10.00
- Smith (E.H) QUANTOCK LIFE AND RAMBLES. Illusts., map e.p.'s. 145pp, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper. Third Impression (Enlarged). Taunton: 1944. £5.00
Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries
A selection from my stock.
Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society.
A selection of volumes currently in stock.
Somerset Folk Series
I HAVE MANY ODD VOLUMES AVAILABLE.
Please let me know if there are any you require.
- Somerset Parish Registers, edited by W.P.W. Phillimore and Douglas LL. Hayward. SOMERSET PARISH REGISTERS. MARRIAGES. Volume 1. 159pp, original cloth, short split to cloth on top outer hinge, bookplate to front pastedown. Limited to 150 copies. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co. Ltd. 1898. £30.00
* Marriages celebrated in each Parish from the first entry up to the year 1812. Contains the Parishes of Aller, Charlton Adam, Charlton Mackrell, High Ham, Huish Episcopi, Kingsdon, Long Sutton, Muchelney, Northover, and Langport.
- Somerset Parish Registers, edited by W.P.W. Phillimore and E.H. Bates. SOMERSET PARISH REGISTERS. MARRIAGES. Volume 4. 159pp, original cloth, with an armorial bookplate to front pastedown. Limited to 150 copies. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co. Ltd. 1902. £30.00
* Marriages celebrated in each Parish from the first entry usually up to the year 1812. Contains the Parishes of Ashill (up to 1815), Ile Brewers, Beer Crocombe, Ilton (up to 1811), Whitestaunton (up to 1811), Stocklinch Magdalen (up to 1776), Stocklinch Ottersey, Barrington, Shepton Beauchamp, Buckland St. Mary, Wraxall, Packington, and Swell.
- Somerset Parish Registers, edited by W.P.W. Phillimore and D.M. Ross. SOMERSET PARISH REGISTERS. MARRIAGES. Volume 6. 150 + 1pp, original cloth. Limited to 150 copies. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co. Ltd. 1905. £30.00
* Marriages celebrated in each Parish from the first entry usually up to the year 1812. Contains the Parishes of Aisholt, Broomfield, Charlynch, Dodington (up to 1805), Durleigh (up to 1807), Enmore, Otterhampton (up to 1749), Overstowey, Stockland Gaunts (up to 1807), Cannington, and Spaxton.
- Somerset Parish Registers, edited by W.P.W. Phillimore, H.W. Seager and E.H. Bates. SOMERSET PARISH REGISTERS. MARRIAGES. Volume 10. 158pp, original cloth, armorial bookplate to front pastedown. Limited to 150 copies. Issued to the Subscribers by Phillimore & Co. Ltd. 1907. £30.00
* Marriages celebrated in each Parish from the first entry up to the year 1812. Contains the Parishes of Taunton, St. Mary's (concluded), Bishop's Hull, and Halse.
Somerset Record Society.
A selection of volumes currently in stock.
- Spencer (Joseph Houghton) WILTON REGISTERS 1558 to 1837. A Copy of the Registers of the Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials at the Church of St. George, in the Parish of Wilton, adjoining Taunton.... Transcribed from the Originals. xiv + (2) + 343pp, untrimmed in the original cloth. LIMITED TO 200 NUMBERED COPIES. Taunton: Barnicott and Son, 1890 £55.00
- Squibbs (Phillip J) A BRIDGWATER DIARY. Reproduction of a typescript with numerous photographic illusts, 214pp, roy 8vo, original cloth, lettering on spine partly rubbed, original owners name and date to front pastedown. Privately Published, Bridgwater: 1968. £22.00
- Squibbs (Phillips James) BRIDGWATER VICTORIAN DAYS. Reproduction of a typescript with numerous photographic illusts, 112pp, roy 8vo, original cloth, couple of staples to binding are slightly rusty. Privately published, Bridgwater: 1957. £18.00
- Stapledon (Richard) EXMOOR. Elegance and Rhythm. Illusts, 79pp, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper. Privately Published, Richard Stapledon, c.1967. £5.00
- Stephenson (Joseph Henry) FRIENDSHIP and Other Poems. 53pp, 12mo, original cloth, spine slightly faded. A.C. Coome, Lymsham; Robbins, Weston-super-Mare and Hamilton Adams & Co, London: 1883. £14.00
* Stephenson was the Rector of Lymsham, Prebendary of Wells and Rural Dean.
- Stevens Cox (G), editor THE EARLY CHURCH REGISTERS, (Christenings, Marriages and Burials, 1558-1600) of LONG ASHTON, in facsimile. Title, preface + 60 facsimile pages, narrow folio, unlettered cloth. Limited to 30 copies. Toucan press, Guernsey: 1977. £18.00
* 'These recently discovered church registers.... have been lost to the world since the 18th century.'
- Stevens Cox (J) A HISTORY OF ILCHESTER. The Ancient County Town of Somerset. With 82 Illustrations and Maps. 293pp, original cloth, Issued as a series of 10 monographs, with some of the original wraps bound in at the rear. Published by the Author, Ilchester: 1958. £75.00
- Stevens Cox (J) AN ILCHESTER MISCELLANY.. Ilchester Historical Monograph, No 10. Illusts pages numbered 215-267, sm 8vo, original wraps. This is just 1 of 10 monographs which Cox issued, combined they formed 'A History of Ilchester'. This copy contains the prelims to the 'History.' Published by the Author, Ilchester: 1958. £12.00
- Storer (B) SEDGEMOOR: Its History and Natural History. Numerous illusts, diagrams and maps, dustwrapper. David & Charles, Newton Abbot: 1972. £8.00
- Stradling (William) A DESCRIPTION OF THE PRIORY OF CHILTON - SUPER - POLDEN and its contents. To which is added a Miscellaneous Appendix, containing several documents not before published. iii + 179pp, original cloth, recased with new spine, retaining the original endpapers, new paper label on spine. Bridgwater: Geo. Awbrey, 1839. £105.00
- Street (James) "THE MYNSTER OF THE ILE"; Or, the Story of the Ancient Parish of Ilminster, the one Royal Peculiar in the County of Somerset. With large folding map, 11 plates, 400 + 8 pages of index, roy 8vo, untrimmed in the original buckram, corners slightly bruised, spine slightly darkened as usual, front endpaper spotty. Engraved armorial bookplate to front endpaper signed 'C.R. Baskett' to lower margin. Taunton: H. Abrahams, and Ilminster: Chapple and Son, 1904. £200.00
* In the original prospectus, of which we have a copy, it states only 400 copies were printed, of which 150 were bound, and 250 were issued in parts.
- Sweetman (George) THE HISTORY OF WINCANTON, Somerset, From the earliest times to the year 1903. Illusts, 296 + 1 page of publishers adverts, original cloth, light spotting to fore-edges. First edition. Harry Williams, London & George Sweetman, Wincanton: July 1903. £70.00
- Symons (Katherine E) THE GRAMMAR SCHOOL OF KING EDWARD VI. BATH, and its Ancient Foundation. Plates, 372 + 4 + 6 + 28 + 6pp, original cloth, lightly rubbed and partly faded, short splits to outer hinges at head of spine. J. Grant Melluish and Maurice G. Melluish, Bath: 1934. £12.00
- Taunton Markets THE TAUNTON TOWN AND MARKET ACTS. Printed by Order of the Trustees from the Original Acts. xi + (iii) + 75pp, original qtr cloth, printed paper boards, front inner hinge weak, few spots to boards. Taunton: Edwin Goodman, Printer, 29 North Street. 1878. £35.00
* Reprints the four Acts of Parliament relating to Taunton Markets which were originally published in 1786, 1817, 1833 and 1840.
- The Beacon FAMOUS BUILDINGS AND CELEBRITIES, OF BATH AND DISTRICT. A series of articles concerning Bath taken from 'The Beacon' each article covers 2 pages, illusts, 148pp, 4to, binders cloth. Harvey and Woodland, Frome: January, 1907 - August, 1913. £25.00
* Includes articles on the Luders family; the Bowdlers; Edmund Burke; Christopher Anstey; Lord Byron; Partis College; Mrs Siddons; Mary Wollstoncraft, etc.
- Thompson (Henry), Curate of Wrington, Somerset LIFE OF HANNAH MORE: With Notices of her Sisters. Portrait frontis, full page and other woodcut illustrations, xxiv + 399pp, full early calf, lettering label on spine slightly damaged affecting some letters, marbled endpapers and page edges, top outer hinge strengthened. T. Cadell, London: 1838. £40.00
- [Tiarks (H.A)] HUNTING REMINISCENCES. By an ex M.F.H. With a coloured frontis, 3 plates, 48pp, sm 4to, original half morocco, the cloth boards are partly faded, with a small area rubbed to head of top board, head of spine partly stained and with small portion missing. London: Bradbury, Wilkinson and Company, c.1936 £65.00
* Tiarks resided at Webbington House, Axbridge and these reminiscences are mainly concerned with hunting on the Mendips.
- Toulmin (Joshua) and Savage (James) HISTORY OF TAUNTON, In the County of Somerset. Originally written by the late Joshua Toulmin. A New Edition, Greatly Enlarged and brought down to the Present Time, by James Savage. With an engraved frontis, and a folding plate, xxiv + 608pp, untrimmed in later cloth, frontis partly waterstained, plate foxed, page edges browned. Taunton: John Poole, 1822. £25.00
- Tunstall (Dr) RAMBLES ABOUT BATH and its Neighbourhood. Based on the Original Work by Dr. Tunstall. Containing Two Maps, Sixteen Wood-cuts, and Eight Autotypes. Lacks the 2 maps, frontis and title-page, facsimile title-page tipped in, xiv + 488 + 67 pages of local adverts, 12mo, original cloth, damp spotted, recased old spine laid down, new endpapers. Revised and re-edited, with Biographical Notices and Historical Notes. Sixth Edition. Simpkin Marshall, London: and R.E. Peach, Bath: 1876. £16.00
- Tunstall (James) RAMBLES ABOUT BATH and its Neighbourhood. Based on Dr. Tunstall's work. Illustrated Edition. Plates, textual illusts, xvi + 384pp, includes adverts, original decorative cloth, signs where small ownership(?) label removed from front endpaper. London: Isaac Pitman, Bath: William Lewis, 1889. £35.00
- Ussher (W.A.E) THE GEOLOGY OF THE COUNTRY BETWEEN WELLINGTON AND CHARD Memoirs of the Geological Survey. Explanation of Sheet 311. With Contributions by H.B. Woodward and A.J. Jukes-Browne. Textual illusts, 68pp, recent paper wraps, with the title from the original wraps pasted onto top wrap. First edition, London: Printed for H.M.S.O. 1906. £18.00
- Van der Zee (Elsa) WELLS CATHEDRAL An Architectural & Historical Guide. Coloured illusts, 188pp, original pictorial card covers. Presentation inscription by the author on the title-page. Close Publications, Wells: 2012. £11.00
- Victoria History, edited by William Page THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET. Volume One. Maps, plates, textual illustrations, xxv + 537pp, 4to, original cloth, spine slightly faded. First edition, Archibald Constable, London: 1906. £75.00
* Includes chapters on Natural History; Botany; Zoology; Early Man; Roman-British Somerset; And Anglo-Saxon Somerset.
- Victoria History, edited by William Page THE VICTORIA HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET. Volume One. Maps, plates, textual illustrations, xxv + 537pp, 4to, original cloth, rubbed, slightly chipped to head and foot of spine, some marks to top board, inner hinges pulled, Bristol University labels to front endpapers, inner hinges pulled, crude tape repairs to one inner margin of prelim and last leaf. First edition, Archibald Constable, London: 1906. £30.00
* Includes chapters on Natural History; Botany; Zoology; Early Man; Roman-British Somerset; And Anglo-Saxon Somerset.
- Victoria County History, edited by R.W. Dunning A HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET Volume 3. Maps, plates, textual illustrations, 293pp, 4to, armorial bookplate to front pastedown, original cloth, top corners slightly bruised, dustwrapper. Oxford University Press. 1974. £40.00
* Includes chapters on:- Kingsbury Huish; Pitney Hundred; Somerton Hundred; Tintinhull Hundred.
- Victoria County History, edited by R.W. Dunning A HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET. Volume 4. Maps, plates, textual illustrations, xx + 266pp. small folio, dustwrapper, bookplate to front pastedown. Oxford University Press, 1978. £45.00
* Includes:- Crewkerne Hundred; Martock Hundred; South Petherton Hundred.
- Victoria County History, edited by R.W. Dunning A HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET. Volume 6. Maps, plans, illusts, xxxiii + 372pp, small folio, dustwrapper. Oxford University Press, 1992. £50.00
* Contains the Hundreds of Andersfield, Cannington, and North Petherton Hundreds.
- Wadmore (Rev. J.A.W) COLLECTIONS FOR A PAROCHIAL HISTORY OF BARROW GURNEY. Illusts, iii + 36pp + 39pp (Supplement), and 34pp (Index), in 2 parts, lacks the wraps and with the stitching loosening to first part. Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society. Bristol: 1897 & 1902. £30.00
- Wadmore (Rev. J.A.W) SUPPLEMENT TO THE BARROW GURNEY HISTORY. With 2 plates, 39 + 34pp index which covers the both parts, original wraps. Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society. J.W. Arrowsmith, Bristol: 1902. £10.00
* Five leaves of the index are duplicated.
- Walcott (M.E.C) MEMORIALS OF BATH AND WELLS. 52 + 4pp, recent paper boards, paper label on spine, original printed wraps bound in. Simpkin Marshall, London, and R.E. Peach, Bath: 1865. £25.00
- Walters (Cuming) BYGONE SOMERSET Illusts, 235pp, original cloth, slightly dull and rubbed to edges, inner hinges weak, occasional spotting, with the stamp of S.R. Lewis, Crewkerne to half-title, presumably the local bookseller. First edition, London: William Andrews and Co., 1897. £10.00
* Includes chapters on 'Taunton and the Bloody Assize,' 'Lead Mines of the Mendips', and 'Caves and Caverns of Somerset.'
- Warburton (William), Bishop of Gloucester A SERMON PREACHED AT THE ABBEY CHURCH AT BATH, for promoting the Charity and subscription towards the GENERAL HOSPITAL, or Infirmary in that City, on Sunday, October 24th, 1742. To which is added A Short account of the General Infirmary at Bath. 39pp, sm.8vo., 39pp, lacks all before 'Dedication' to Ralph Allen, which is followed by 2 pages setting out Benefactions and Disbursements for the hospital, the Sermon on pages 1-24, Short Account... of the General Hospital on pages 28-28, Subscribers, giving names and sums on pages 29-39. The verso of page 39 is blank. The listing on Copac states that there are a further 5 unnumbered pages after page 39. Disbound, some stitching broken. Printed for J. Leake at Bath and sold by J. & P. Knapton, London: 1742. £25.00
- Warfield (D.A) A LIVELY PEOPLE The Story of a Village Methodist Society. Plates, 175pp, partly waterstained dustwrapper chipped to top edge and protected with loose plastic sleeve. London and Paulton: Purnell and Sons, 1960. £18.00
* Paulton interest.
- [Watson (Lawrence G)] OFFICIAL SOUVENIR Issued on the occasion of the presentation by The Most Hon. The Marquess of Bath, R.G., P.C., C.B. of the Charter of Incorporation granted to the Burgesses of WESTON-SUPER-MARE by His Most Gracious Majesty King George VI in the First Year of His Reign. Plates, 40pp, few spots and a couple of splash marks to the original decorative, slightly dusty, wraps, internally sound. Lawrence Bros., Weston-super-Mare: 1937. £22.00
- Watson (Walter) THE LICHENS OF SOMERSET. 94pp, original wraps. Taunton: Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, 1930. £14.00
- Weaver (Frederic Weaver), editor THE VISITATIONS OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET IN THE YEARS 1531 AND 1575. Together with Additional Pedigrees, chiefly from the Visitation of 1591. xi + 148pp, roy 8vo, untrimmed in the original cloth, partly faded, top outer hinge partly split, though sound. First edition, Exeter: Printed for the Editor by W. Pollard, 1885. £85.00
- Weaver (Frederic William), editor SOMERSET INCUMBENTS. From the Hugo MSS in the British Museum. 476 + lipp, roy 8vo, original cloth, partly faded, cloth chipped to head and foot of spine, with a withdrawn stamp to half-title. Bristol: Privately Printed for the Editor by C.T. Jefferies, 1889. £60.00
* Lists the religious incumbents, name of patrons, date of institution, how vacated, from the 14th to the early 18th centuries, parish by parish.
- Weaver (Rev. F.W), and Bates (Rev. E.H), editor INDEX TO COLLINSON'S HISTORY OF SOMERSET. Including a Supplementary Index (Alphabetical and Ordinary) to all the Armorial Bearings mentioned in the work. Contributed by Lt-Col. J.R. Bramble. iv + (4) + 325pp, 4to, original cloth, slightly rubbed and with damp stains, internally sound. Taunton: Barnicott and Pearce, Athenaeum Press, Fore Street. 1898. £110.00
* An invaluable work that unlocks the wealth of information in Collinson's work.
- Webb (Adrian J) THE 1601 AND 1628 SUBSIDY RETURNS FOR SOUTH SOMERSET. vi + 47pp, 4to, original wraps. Harry Galloway, 1993. £10.00
- Webb (Adrian James) SOMERSET JURORS LIST 1748. xv + 61pp, 4to, original wraps. Second revised edition, Harry Galloway, 1994. £10.00
- Webb (Adrian James), editor HANDLIST OF SOMERSET PROBATE INVENTORIES AND ADMINISTRATIVE ACCOUNTS, 1482-1924. xxxvi + 292pp, dustwrapper. Somerset Record Society, Volume 98. Taunton: 2019. £24.00
- Webb (Charles George), Savage (James) and Toulmin (Joshua) HISTORY OF TAUNTON, In the County of Somerset. Originally written by the late Joshua Toulmin, Greatly Enlarged by the late James Savage and further enlarged by Charles George Webb. With an engraved frontis, xxiv + 408pp, contemporary half calf, marbled boards, lightly rubbed, small portion missing from top corner of frontis, which is slightly soiled to verso, few repairs to inner margins of title-page and frontis. Taunton: Printed and Published by C.G. Webb, 1874. £85.00
- Webb (Jeanne) A TAPESTRY OF THE PAST AND PRESENT IN OLD CLEEVE. 114pp, original pictorial card covers. Privately Published, Old Cleeve: (1995) £18.00
- Wedlake (W.J) EXCAVATIONS AT CAMERTON Somerset. A Record of Thirty Years' Excavation covering the Period from Neolithic to Saxon Times 1926-56. With a Foreword by Sir Mortimer Wheeler. Plates, textual illusts, xvii + 284pp, numerous plates, illusts and folding plans, some short and one long tear to partly faded dustwrapper, approx. 1" portion missing from foot of spine of dustwrapper. Camerton Excavation Club. 1958. £18.00
- Wells REPORT ON THE CORPORATION OF WELLS, (Somersetshire.) Title and pages numbered 1364-1374, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound. House of Commons, London: (1835) £12.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- West Huntspill THE BOOK OF WEST HUNTSPILL. A Millenium Celebration. Compiled by People of the Parish. Illusts, 160pp, 4to, dustwrapper. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 2001. £20.00
- Western Division REGISTER OF PERSONS ENTITLED TO VOTE IN THE ELECTION OF TWO KNIGHTS OF THE SHIRE TO SERVE IN PARLIAMENT FOR THE WESTERN DIVISION, 1835. of the County of Somerset. With 132pp, interleaved with blanks, onto which are written some contemporary pencil and ink notes. At the front is an 8 page index, at the rear is a 3 page summary of the poll. Tipped in at the front is a folded printed poster. 'West Somersetshire Election.' which lists the Polling Places, Districts and Booths and the Parishes, short split to one fold of poster. Folio, contemporary unlettered reversed calf, marbled boards and endpapers, a couple of small worm holes to outer hinges, front inner hinge pulled. London: 1834 & 5. £300.00
* Covers the Hundreds of:- Abdick and Bulstone; Andersfield; Cannington; Carhampton; Crewkerne; Roundsborough, Berwick and Coker; Huntspill and Puriton; Kingsbury; Martock; Milverton; North Curry; North Petherton; Pitney; Somerton; South Petherton; Stone; Taunton Dean; Tintinhull; Whitley; Williton and Freemanors. Lists the names of each Voter, 'Place of Abode', 'Nature of Qualification', and 'Street, Lane, or other like Place in the Parish, &c, where the property is situate..... ' The first page of the manuscript summary of the poll states:- 'The Nomination took place at Taunton on the 13th January 1835 when Francis Popham Esq., presided as Sheriff. Mr Sanford (who was absent at Madeira) was proposed by C.B. Portman, Esq., seconded by R. Beadon, Esq. My Tynte was proposed by Sir T.B. Lethbridge, Bart., seconded by Andrew Crosse, Esq., Mr Escott was proposed by Sir Alex Hood Bart., seconded by H. Powell Collins, Esq. The Polling took place at Taunton, Ilchester, Bridgwater and Williton on the 16th & 17th January 1835. The Declaration of the Poll by the High Sheriff was at Taunton on the 19th January.' On the front end paper is a label with a manuscript note:- 'Lord Wharton, Halswell Park, Bridgwater, Somersetshire.'
- Western Division THE REGISTER OF PERSONS ENTITLED TO VOTE AT ANY ELECTION OF A MEMBER TO SERVE IN PARLIAMENT FOR THE WESTERN DIVISION of the County of Somerset, between the 30th of November, 1843, and the 1st of December, 1844. Approx. 350 leaves printed on rectos only, 4to, stitching loosening, top wrap loose and last leaf slightly ragged, lacks spine and rear wrap, small hole in last leaf affecting a couple of words. Contains the Names, Addresses, Nature of Qualification and Description of Qualifying Property. Printed by J. Barnicott, F. May, W. Court, Taunton: 1843. £65.00
* Includes the Polling Districts of:- Bridgwater, Dulverton, Carhampton, Ilchester, Ilminster, Langport, Taunton, Williton, and Wiveliscombe.
- Whalley (Thomas Sedgewick), edited and notes by Rev. Hill Wickham JOURNALS AND CORRESPONDENCE OF THOMAS SEDGEWICK WHALLEY, D.D. of Mendip Lodge, Somerset. With 2 portrait frontispieces, iv + 499 and 522pp, 2 volumes, original cloth, partly faded, corners slightly rubbed, neatly recased, with later endpapers, and with the old spines laid down, some spotting to margins of frontispieces. Richard Bentley, London, 1863. £120.00
* Includes chapters on Hannah More and the Blagdon controversy; Letters from Mrs Siddons and Mrs Piozzi, etc.
- White (Elizabeth) KEYNSHAM AND SALTFORD Life and Work in Times Past 1539 - 1945. 118pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers, top corner of front cover slightly creased. Keynsham and Saltford Local History Society, c.1990. £14.00
- Williams (George), editor OFFICIAL CORRESPONDENCE OF THOMAS BEKYNTON, Secretary to King Henry VI., and Bishop of Bath and Wells. Edited.... with an Appendix of Illustrative Documents. 2 volumes, 4 + ccxi + 295 + 31pp, and 4 + 432 + 31pp, original qtr cloth, paper boards, very slightly rubbed to edges of spine, ex-ref.lib., with label to pastedowns and small stamps to title-pages. Rolls Series. London: Longman and Co., 1872. £60.00
- Wilson and Phillips, publisher WHO'S WHO IN SOMERSET. 232pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, short splits to outer hinges, otherwise sound. Numbered Limited Edition. With the signature, to the front endpaper, of Henry T. Daniel, of The Manor House, Stockland, Bridgwater, whose details are listed in the work. Wilson & Phillips, Hereford: 1934. £20.00
- Wilson (W.A) COLEOPTERA OF SOMERSET. 165 + (vii)pp, original wraps. Printed for the Somerset Archaeological & Natural History Soc. 1958. £10.00
- Worth (R.N) TOURISTS' GUIDE TO SOMERSETSHIRE: Rail and Road. With folding map, plan, 168 + 32pp of publishers adverts, 12mo, original cloth. Fourth Edition, London: Edward Stamford, 1890. £18.00
- Wright (Peter Poyntz) THE PARISH CHURCH TOWERS OF SOMERSET. Their construction, craftsmanship and chronology 1350 - 1550. With a Foreword by The Rt. Revd. Abbot Aelred Watkin, Titular Abbot of Glastonbury. Plates and illusts, xi + 217pp, small folio, partly faded dustwrapper. Avebury Publishing Company: 1981. £18.00
- Yeovil Corporation THE REPORT OF THE PROCEEDINGS OF THE COMMITTEE. Appointed by the Inhabitants of the Town to further Municipal Reform.... to which is added an Appendix. Pamphlet, 26pp, stitched as issued, slight evidence of once being folded. Printed and Published by W. Porter, Yeovil: 1835. £24.00
- Young (Ruth) MRS CHAPMAN'S PORTRAIT. A Beauty of the 18th Century. With 3 plates, xii + 158pp, original qtr cloth, paper boards, paper label to top board, boards partly faded. Bath: The George Gregory Bookstore, 1926. £8.00
* Written by her great great grand daughter.
Back to the TopCopyright © Ambra Books -- 2021. All rights reserved.
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :-
Tel:- ( 0117 ) 9076899
E-mail :- email@example.com
Bristol -- Cornwall -- Devon -- Dorset -- Gloucestershire --
SOMERSET Archaeological and Natural History Society -- SOMERSET and Dorset Notes and Queries -- SOMERSET Record Society --
Wiltshire -- General ( Includes items of SOMERSET interest. )
SOMERSET Clearance List
SOMERSET :- Selection of items I wish to purchase
SOMERSET :- Selection of manuscripts, maps, ephemera etc. for sale from Lesley Aitchison.
AMBRA BOOKS Home page