BRISTOL Clearance List
History, Topography and Genealogy
Antiquarian and Secondhand Books
10% Discount for 2 items
20% Discount for 4 items
30% Discount for 6 items
40% Discount for 8 items
50% Discount for 10 items
This is a selection from my stock.
Please let me know if there are any other titles you are looking for.
Click on:- ORDERING details
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :- ( 0117 ) 9076899
Postage, packing and insurance are extra.
When ordering from this list please note item No., Author, and Title.
Payment can be made by either sterling cheque, or by bank transfer.
Prices are nett.
Click to go to:- Main BRISTOL List
- Aldous (Tony) CHANGING BRISTOL New Architecture & Construction 1960-1980. Illusts, map, 44pp, original pictorial covers. Bristol Civic Society and Redcliffe Press, Bristol: 1979. £4.00
- Archaeological Institution MEMOIRS ILLUSTRATIVE OF THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF BRISTOL, and the Western Counties of Great Britain.... With numerous plates and textual illustrations, partly coloured folding plan, xcv + 280pp, original cloth, outer hinges partly split, foot of spine rubbed, small portion missing from head of spine. London: George Bell, 1851. £20.00
* Includes chapters:- 'Sepulchral Monuments of Bristol'; 'Sherborne Minster, Dorsetshire'; 'Painted Glass at Bristol, Wells, Gloucester, and Exeter', etc.
- Arrowsmith Ltd, printers OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE CITY OF BRISTOL. Illusts, adverts, 95pp, roy 8vo, original printed wraps, lacks spine, crease and a couple of short tears to top wrap, few corners curled. Published with the authority of the Lord Mayor and Corporation of the City and County of Bristol by J.W. Arrowsmith Ltd, Quay Street, Bristol: (1921) £14.00
- Arrowsmith Ltd, printer OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE CITY OF BRISTOL. Illusts, adverts, lacks map ?, xxviii + (2) + 108 + (6)pp, original printed wraps, roy 8vo, small portion missing from foot of spine, short tear to top wrap, slight staining to wraps from staples, top outer hinge split for 2", with small portion missing from foot of spine. Published with the authority of the Lord Mayor and Corporation of the City and County of Bristol by J.W. Arrowsmith Ltd. Bristol: 1925. £10.00
- Arrowsmith Ltd, printers OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE CITY OF BRISTOL. Illusts, adverts, folding map, xxxv + 119pp, original printed wraps, roy 8vo. Published with the authority of the Lord Mayor and Corporation of the City and County of Bristol by J.W. Arrowsmith Ltd, Quay Street, Bristol: 1935. £10.00 --- See sample text
* This is the Silver Jubilee number.
- Arrowsmith, printer COBBLERS' TALE. With 10 plates, 62pp, sm 8vo, original wraps. J.W. Arrowsmith Ltd., Bristol: Revised Edition, 1958. £6.00
* The story of G.B. Britton & Sons Ltd.
- Barker (Cedric) MOSTLY CLIFTON. Numerous illusts, 112pp, oblong 8vo, dustwrapper. Redcliffe Press, Tiverton: 1997. £8.00
- Barker (Kathleen) ENTERTAINMENT IN THE NINETIES. Illusts, 20pp, original printed card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1973. £4.00
- Barot (Rohit) BRISTOL AND THE INDIAN INDEPENDENCE MOVEMENT. Illusts, 28pp, original pictorial card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1988. £4.00
- Barrett (William) HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF THE CITY OF BRISTOL. Lacks the folding map and 2 plates as well as the 2 plates of the Rowley facsimiles, otherwise complete, xix + 698pp, 4to, full early calf, rubbed, later calf spine, one hinge of spine broken, top board loose, ex-Bristol Mechanics Institution, with their occasional stamp, one plate lacks margin and is shaved along one edge, and another has been laid down to strengthen it and partly remargin it. First edition, Printed by William Pine, Wine Street, Bristol: 1789 (dedication leaf.) £55.00
* Copies of this work frequently have the Rowley facsimiles missing, the speculation being that the publisher no longer wished to include them after Chatterton's deception was exposed.
- Beachcroft (S.P), edited for Old Cliftonian Society CLIFTON COLLEGE REGISTER, 1862 to 1962. Centenary Edition. With 4 plates, lx + 507pp, original cloth. J.W. Arrowsmith Ltd., Bristol: 1962. £12.00
- Belsey (James), Jenner (Michael), and others MUDDLING THROUGH. BRISTOL IN THE FIFTIES. 96pp, original decorative covers, corners cut from top margins of last 2 leaves. Redcliffe Press, Bristol: 1988. £6.00
- Bettey (Joseph) THE FIRST HISTORIANS OF BRISTOL: WILLIAM BARRETT AND SAMUEL SEYER. With 4 plates, double-page map, 24pp, original printed card covers, top cover partly faded. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, The University, Bristol: 2003. £4.00
- Bickley (Francis B), editor THE LITTLE RED BOOK OF BRISTOL. Volume 1 of 2 only. With 5 plates, xxxviii + 249pp, 4to, untrimmed in the original buckram, partly faded. Bristol: W. Crofton Hemmons. London: Henry Sotheran. 1900. £20.00
- Boore (Eric J) EXCAVATIONS AT TOWER LANE, Bristol. Illusts, plans, 34pp, original pictorial card covers. City of Bristol Museum and Art Gallery and Bristol Threatened History Society, 1984. £4.00
- Borwick (F), editor CLIFTON COLLEGE ANNALS AND REGISTER 1862-1925. With an Introduction by N. Whatley. Illusts and folding plan, cxxxi + 660pp, original cloth, rubbed, inscription 'snowpaked' on front pastedown. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith, 1925. £9.00
- Bowman (W. Dodgson) BRISTOL. With 4 plates, 128pp, 12mo, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges. London: Geoffrey Bles, c.1927. £7.00
- Brace (Keith) PORTRAIT OF BRISTOL. Photographs by W.E. Hall, 208pp, spine faded to dustwrapper, inscription on front endpaper. Robert Hale, London: 1971. £6.00
- Brierley (Lorna) and Reid (Helen) GO HOME AND DO THE WASHING. Three centuries of Pioneering Women. Illusts, 166pp, original card covers. Broadcast, Bristol: 2000. £10.00
- Briggs (Daniel) THE BRISTOL POST OFFICE IN THE AGE OF ROWLAND HILL 1837-1864. Illusts, 22pp, original pictorial card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1983. £4.00
- Bristol & Avon Family History Society BRISTOL MARRIAGES 1800-1837. Part One. All Saints; Christchurch; St. John the Baptist; St. Mary le Port; St. Nicholas; St. Stephen. Illusts, (266)pp, original printed card covers. Bristol & Avon Family History Society, 1980. £10.00
- Bristol & Avon Family History Society BRISTOL MARRIAGES 1800-1837. Part Two. St. Augustine-the-less; St. George, Brandon Hill; St. Michael. Illusts, map, (206)pp, original printed card covers. Bristol & Avon Family History Society, 1982. £10.00
- Bristol & Avon Family History Society BRISTOL MARRIAGES 1800-1837. Part Six. St. Paul's. Map, 328pp, card covers. Bristol & Avon Family History Society, 1987. £12.00
- Bristol & Avon Family History Society BRISTOL MARRIAGES 1800-1837. Part Seven. Bedminster. Illusts, 208pp, original printed card covers. Bristol & Avon Family History Society, 1991. £10.00
- Bristol Charities BRISTOL MUNICIPAL CHARITIES Accounts for the year Ending 31st March, 1961. 98pp, sm 4to, original card covers. Bristol: John Wright, 1961. £4.00
- Bristol Charities BRISTOL MUNICIPAL CHARITIES Their History and Constitution with Details of the Charities Administered by the Trustees.... 15pp, original printed card covers. Burleigh Press, Bristol: 1974. £4.00
- Bristol Development Board BRISTOL: The Home of Prosperous Industry. Illusts, maps, 22pp, original pictorial card covers. Bristol Development Board, c.1930. £12.00
- Bristol Development Board DIRECTORY OF BRISTOL INDUSTRIES 1937. Illusts, 164pp, includes numerous local adverts, roy 8vo, original printed paper boards, rubbed to edges, short split to top outer hinge, ex-lib with labels to front endpapers, and stamp to verso of title. Second Edition, Bristol Development Board, 1937. £16.00
- Bristol Docks Committee STATISTICS OF THE PORT OF BRISTOL. 28 leaves of tables, some of which are folded, with some statistics added in manuscript up to 1900. folio, original qtr cloth, paper boards, private ownership stamp to front pastedown. February, 1896. £20.00
- Bristol Festival Development Committee CITY AND COUNTY OF BRISTOL. FESTIVAL OF BRITAIN June 25th to July 28th, 1951. Souvenir Handbook. Illusts, 32pp, sm 4to, original printed wraps. City and County of Bristol: 1951. £12.00
- Bristol Guide BRISTOL VISITOR'S GUIDE. Folding map, illusts, adverts, 144pp, original card covers. British Publishing Company Ltd., Gloucester: c.1983. £4.00
- Bristol Naturalists' Society PROCEEDINGS OF THE BRISTOL NATURALISTS' SOCIETY New Series, Volume 9, Part 3. Pages numbered 123-170, lacks wraps. Printed for the Society. Bristol: 1902. £4.00
* Includes articles on Uphill Bone Caverns; Celestine Deposits of the Bristol District, etc.
- Bristol Naturalists' Society PROCEEDINGS OF THE BRISTOL NATURALISTS' SOCIETY Fourth Series, Volume 4, Part 1. With 4 plates, textual illusts, 103pp, original printed wrappers, partly faded, slightly chipped to head and foot of spine. Printed for the Society. Bristol: 1914. £5.00
* Includes articles on Geological Researches in the Bristol District; Carboniferous Limestone of the District between Over and Tytherington, etc.
- Bristol Naturalists' Society ANNUAL REPORT AND PROCEEDINGS OF THE BRISTOL NATURALISTS' SOCIETY Fourth Series, Volume 7, Part 2. Plates, pages numbered 73-144, original printed wrappers, partly faded. Arbroath: Printed for the Society. 1930. £5.00
* Includes articles on Limestone Scenery; Fossil Shells and Some Problems of Evolution, etc.
- Bristol Naturalists' Society, edited by R.A Avery 1975 PROCEEDINGS OF THE BRISTOL NATURALISTS' SOCIETY Volume 35. With plate and textual illusts, 112pp, original printed wrappers. Printed for the Society. Bristol: Burleigh Press, 1976. £5.00
* Includes the usual reports on the local geology, botany, ornithology, insects and fauna and papers on Whatley Quarry; Gulls on Steep Holm; Building Stone of the Chew Valley area, etc.
- Bristol Naturalists' Society, edited by T.E. Thompson 1981 PROCEEDINGS OF THE BRISTOL NATURALISTS' SOCIETY Volume 41. With textual illusts, 91pp, original printed wrappers. Printed for the Society. Bristol: Grenfell Printing, 1982. £4.00
* Includes the usual reports on the local geology, botany, ornithology, insects and fauna and papers on Lead-zinc-silica of the Mendip Region; University Botanic Gardens; Mistletoe, etc.
- Bristol Naturalists' Society, edited by T.E. Thompson 1982 PROCEEDINGS OF THE BRISTOL NATURALISTS' SOCIETY Volume 42. With textual illusts, 108pp, original printed wrappers. Printed for the Society. Bristol: Grenfell Printing, 1984. £5.00
* Includes the usual reports on the local geology, botany, ornithology, insects and fauna and papers on Breeding Waders; Impact of Coppicing, etc.
- Bristol Naturalists' Society, edited by A.E. Frey PROCEEDINGS OF THE BRISTOL NATURALISTS' SOCIETY, 1989. Volume 49. With maps, illusts and diagrams in the text, 80pp, original printed card covers. Printed for the Society. Bristol: Grenfell Printing, 1991. £5.00
* Includes:- Small Mammals in Avon; Early Ordovician Trilobite Beltella, etc.
- Bristol Riots 1831 REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONERS APPOINTED UNDER THE BRISTOL DAMAGES COMPENSATION ACT and Statement of Actions for Damages and Proceedings had therein under that Act, with their General Results. Folio, 22pp, original cloth, with printed label on top cover, boards and some pages loose, title-page dusty, boards dusty and rubbed to edges, and with some splash marks. Bristol: John Taylor, Printer, Mirror Office, 1835. £16.00
* Gives the names of the plaintiffs, subject of their claim, and costs involved.
- Brown (Patricia) EIGHT BRISTOL CHURCHES. Illusts, 25pp, oblong 8vo, original printed wraps, lacks spine, small mark on top wrap. A BSSA publication, c.197- £4.00
- Burgess (Clive), editor THE PRE-REFORMATION RECORDS OF ALL SAINTS' BRISTOL: PART I. l + 150pp, original cloth. Volume 46. Bristol Record Society. 1995. £9.00
- Burgess (Clive), editor THE PRE-REFORMATION RECORDS OF ALL SAINTS' BRISTOL: Part 2: The Churchwardens' Accounts. viii + 388pp, original cloth, dustwrapper. Volume 53. Bristol Record Society. 2000. £12.00
- Burrow (Ed. J), publishers THE CITY AND COUNTY OF BRISTOL THE CAPITAL OF THE WEST. The Official Handbook of the Corporation of Bristol. Numerous illusts, folding map, adverts, 236pp, original card covers, outer hinges slightly rubbed, short split to rear hinge. Ed. J. Burrow, Cheltenham: c.1955. £12.00
- Butcher (E.E) CLIFTON HILL HOUSE The first phase 1909-1959. With 4 plates, 18pp, original wraps, lower corner of top wrap creased. J.W. Arrowsmith, c.1960. £4.00
- Byard (Herbert) THE BRISTOL MADRIGAL. Illusts, 20pp, original printed card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1966. £4.00
- Byrne (Tony) and Simons (Paul) BRISTOL MARKETING BOARD. Coloured illusts, 24pp, large oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Bristol Marketing Board, c.1985. £4.00
- Carleton (Don) THE PRINCE'S OF PARK ROW. Illusts, 30pp, original pictorial card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1983. £4.00
- Cave (Charles Henry) HISTORY OF BANKING IN BRISTOL From 1750 to 1899. With frontis and 84 plates, pedigrees, xvii + 292pp, includes the list of subscribers, 4to, untrimmed in the original cloth, few small marks to covers, 1" portion torn from head of spine. Limited edition of 300 numbered copies. With the name of one of the original subscribers to front endpaper. Privately Printed Bristol: W. Crofton Hemmons, 1899. £135.00 --- See sample text
* Includes chapters on the following banks:- Miles; Harford; Ames, Cave & Co; Stuckey; Wilts and Dorset; Bristol and West of England; Bristol Tolzey, etc. etc.
- Chilcott (J), publisher CHILCOTT'S DESCRIPTIVE HISTORY OF BRISTOL, Ancient and Modern; or a Guide to Bristol, Clifton & the Hotwells with topographical notices of the neighbourhood villages etc. With two folding plans and a folding map, frontis, 2 plates, one of which is folding, and with textual engravings, 396pp, original cloth boards partly faded, lacks spine, early ownership name and date to title-page. Seventh Edition With Additions and Corrections. Bristol: J. Chilcott, (1846) £35.00
- Chubb (James) THE BRISTOL JOURNAL OF JAMES CHUBB. 44pp, original wraps. New Room Booklets No 8. 1988. £6.00
* 'It tells the story of his childhood in Cornwall, his becoming a Methodist his life as an Officer of Excise in South Wales and Bristol....in the second half of the 18th Century.'
- City of Bristol THE BRISTOL BOOK. Coloured illusts, maps, 136pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. City of Bristol District Council, 1984. £5.00
- Clee (John) BLUE FEATHER POEMS and Other Verse. 79pp, original card covers, dustwrapper. Bristol: The Burleigh Press, (1960) £8.00
* Signed by the author on the title-page.
- Cooke (B.O) BRISTOLIA BRITANNICA. A Festival Poem. Illusts in the text, 23pp, sm 8vo, original cloth, signed by the author on verso of front endpaper. Limited to 225 numbered copies. The White Swan Press, Bristol: 1951 £15.00
- Cottle (Basil) ST. MARY REDCLIFFE Bristol. Plates, plan, 28pp, original wraps. Printed by Mardon, Son & Hall, Ltd., Reprinted, Bristol: January, 1962. £4.00
- [Cottrell (Greg)] THE STORY OF BRISTOL ROUND TABLE No 9. 1929 - 1962. Illusts, 89pp, original cloth. Bristol: B.H. Matthews, (1962) £8.00
- Crossley Evans (M.J), editor 'A GRAND CITY; - LIFE, MOVEMENT AND WORK'. Bristol in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Essays in Honour of Gerard Leighton. Illusts, xxv + 428pp, dustwrapper. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, Bristol: 2010 £10.00
* Includes chapters on:- Thomas Goldney; Humphrey Reton's Royal Fort; Kilvert and Bristol; Jane Austen and Bristol, etc.
- Davies (Rupert E) THE CHURCH IN BRISTOL. A Short History. With illustrations by Reginald Dymond. Text illusts, 105pp, 12mo, original card covers, marks to lower covers where cellotape removed. John Wright, Bristol: 1960. £8.00
- Dowding (W.L) THE STORY OF BRISTOL: A Brief History for Young Citizens. Maps, plans, illusts, 150 + vipp, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges, front inner hinge cracked. Bristol: Scholastic Trading Co., (1906) £4.00
- Draper (James) BRISTOL'S FORGOTTEN VICTOR. Lieutenant-General Sir William Draper K.B. (1721-1787) With 7 plates, double-page map, 28pp, original printed card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, The University, Bristol: 1998. £4.00
- Editorial Division of Bennett Associates THE HEIRLOOM. The Stories of John Harvey & Sons Ltd., and their Whitchurch Project at Bristol. Illusts, 32pp, original pictorial card covers, top cover slightly creased. John Harvey & Sons, Bristol: 1960. £8.00
- Edwards (Tudor) BRITISH CITIES. BRISTOL Maps, plates, 96pp, 12mo, few spots to slightly faded dustwrapper. B.T. Batsford, London; 1951. £4.00
- Ellis (B.M) CAVING REPORT. No 3 The Manufacture of Lightweight Caving Ladders. Illusts, 13pp, original printed wraps, Bristol Exploration Club, May 1958. £7.00
- Evans (Rev. John) BEAUTIES OF CLIFTON; or the Clifton and Hotwell Guide: with a Descriptive Arrangement of Excursions in their Vicinity: and an Appendix on their Geology, Botany, &c. &c. Lacks the map, 79 + (iv)pp, small 8vo, disbound, small strip torn from inner margin of last leaf. Second Edition. Parsons and Browne, and P. Rose, Bristol. J. Aitkens, Clifton: c.1828. £15.00
- Evans (Rev. John) THE PICTURE OF BRISTOL; or A Guide to Objects of Curiosity and Interest, In Bristol, Clifton, the Hotwells, and their Vicinity; Including Biographical Notices of Eminent Natives. With 3 folding plates, lacks the map, and page 177 which has Appendix 7, 176 + 2pp, 12mo, early binders cloth, spine slightly faded. Second edition. Bristol: Printed for W. Shepherd, 1818. £25.00
* Bound without the plate of Bristol from Pile Hill which is called for in the list of plates. We have never seen a copy of this edition with this plate, and believe that it was either never issued, or was inserted in only a small number of copies.
- Evans (Rev. John) THE HISTORY OF BRISTOL, Civil and Ecclesiastical; including Biographical Notices of Eminent and Distinguished Natives. Volume 2 of 2 only. Lacks plates, iv + 445pp, early calf, front inner hinge broken, few leaves almost loose. Bristol: Printed and Published by W. Sheppard, 1816. £10.00
* The first volume was attributed to John Corry.
- Farr (Grahame) THE STEAMSHIP GREAT BRITAIN. With 4 plates, 24pp, original printed wraps. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, The University, Bristol: 1965. £4.00
- Fedden (Marguerite) BRISTOL VIGNETTES. Illusts, 126pp, pictorial card covers, partly faded. 'Advanced Proof Copy' in biro on top cover. Burleigh Press, Bristol: c.1957. £4.00
- Felix Farley, sold by BRISTOL. THE CITY CHARTERS. Containing the Original Institution of Mayors, Recorders, Sheriffs, Town Clerks, And all Other Officers whatsoever. As also of a Common Council, and the Ancient Laws and Customs of the City. Diligently Compar'd with, and Corrected according to the Latin Originals. To which are added, The Bounds of the City, by Land, With the exact Distances from Stone to Stone, all round the City. Lacks frontis, 297 + (xii)pp, 4to, full early calf, raised bands, slightly rubbed to edges, small amount of light spotting. Sold by Felix Farley, in Castle Green: 1736. £35.00
- Fishponds Lunatic Asylum DECEMBER, 1848. THE EVIDENCE TAKEN ON THE INQUIRY INTO THE MANAGEMENT OF THE FISHPONDS PRIVATE LUNATIC ASYLUM. Ordered by the last Court of Quarter Sessions to be Printed, and sent to every Acting Magistrate in the County of Gloucester. Photocopy, contained within 3 ring binders, over 700 pages copied 2 pages per leaf. Includes photocopies of some contemporary newscuttings, and letters. 1848. £18.00
* A useful working copy of a rare item.
- Fitzgerald (Maurice H) THE STORY OF BRISTOL CATHEDRAL. 80pp, original cloth, occasional spotting, fore-edges spotty. Raphael Tuck, London: 1936. £4.00
- Flavin (Susan) & Jones (Evan T), editors BRISTOL'S TRADE WITH IRELAND AND THE CONTINENT 1503-1601. The evidence of the exchequer customs accounts. Bristol Record Society vol. 61. xxv + 1081pp, dustwrapper. Bristol Record Society. Dublin: 2009. £18.00
- Fletcher (Reginald James) A HISTORY OF BRISTOL CATHEDRAL Gathered from Documents in the Possession of the Dean and Chapter. 80pp, sm 8vo, original card covers. London: S.P.C.K. 1932. £10.00
- Foot (David) FAMOUS BRISTOLIANS and others having strong associations with the city. Illusts, 32pp, original pictorial card covers. Redcliffe Press, Bristol: 1979. £4.00
- Fuller Family FAMILY OF FULLER OF BRISTOL. Pedigree, 3pp, 4to, unlettered wraps. c.1920. £6.00
- Gardiner Sons & Co Ltd GARDINER OF BRISTOL Catalogue No 225, July 1955. Coloured plates, text illusts, xxiv + 883pp, original cloth, lower pages of many pages damp stained and slightly crinkled, 2 leaves torn without loss, one leaf has cellotape repairs. Gardiner Sons & Co Ltd., Bristol: 1955. £12.00
- Garlick (Kenneth), introduction EXHIBITION OF WORKS BY SIR THOMAS LAWRENCE F.R.A. (born in Bristol 1769). A Festival of Britain Exhibition by arrangement with The Arts Council of Great Britain. 5 July to 31 August 1951. 24pp, original printed wraps, with a colour plate tipped onto the top wrap. City and County of Bristol, 1951. £9.00
- George (E), editor THE WESTBURY-ON-TRYM Village Directories for 1901 and 1905. 10 + (1) pp, original printed wraps, stapled at the top corner. Prepared from the original for the Parish Church Historical Exhibition, Westbury on Trym: 1984. £8.00
- Gomme (Andor), Jenner (Michael) and Little (Bryan) BRISTOL An Architectural History. Numerous illusts, 452pp, 4to, dustwrapper. Lund Humphries, London: 1979. £80.00
* Signed presentation inscription by Jenner on the front endpaper.
- Green (Kenneth H), drawings by Horace Wright BRISTOL an appreciation. With 12 plates, map endpapers, 50 + (2)pp, original paper boards, dustwrapper. The Garland Press, Bristol: 1947. £4.00
- Greenacre (Francis) and Stoddard (Sheena) W.J. MULLER 1812 - 1845. With 44 coloured and 182 black and white plates, 176pp, cr 4to, original card covers. Published by The Friends of Bristol Art Gallery. 1991. £16.00
* This is the catalogue to a major exhibition which was held in the Bristol Art Gallery, with biographical notes of Muller's work. Includes many reproductions of Muller's paintings in and around Bristol.
- Grinsell (L.V) PREHISTORIC BRISTOL. The Prehistory of the Lower Bristol Avon. Plans, 21pp, original printed card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1969. £4.00
- Grinsell (L.V) THE BRISTOL MINT. An Historical Outline. Illusts, 24pp, original printed card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1972. £4.00
- Harlow (Jonathan), editor THE LEDGER OF THOMAS SPEED, 1681-1690. Bristol Record Society vol. 63. liii + 553pp, dustwrapper, CD of the facsimile images of the ledger in pocket at the rear. Bristol Record Society. 2011. £18.00
- Harvey (Alfred) A SHORT ACCOUNT OF THE MONASTERY, COLLEGE AND CHURCH OF WESTBURY-ON-TRYM. With a plan and 2 illusts, 30pp, original printed wraps, loose and very ragged and with portions missing to edges, top wrap has 'M' for Monastery partly missing, binding broken and text in 2 halves. Reprinted (with corrections) from the Westbury-on-Trym Parish Magazine. Published by Howell & Sons, Westbury-on-Trym. (1902) £10.00
- Henrywood (R.K) BRISTOL POTTERS 1775-1906. Illusts, 96pp, dustwrapper. Redcliffe, Bristol: 1992. £8.00
- Hertslet (Edward L.A), and others ST. MARY REDCLIFFE Bristol Form and Order of Proceeding To the Great Service of Thanksgiving for the Restoration of the Church with some Notes on the History of the Church and an Introduction by the Vicar. Friday, November The Third 1933. 23 + (1)pp, original pictorial wraps, name and address in ink to title-page. No imprint, 1933. £4.00
- Hollis (D), editor CALENDAR OF THE BRISTOL APPRENTICE BOOK 1532-1565. Part I 1532-1542. Folding frontis, viii + 243pp, original cloth-backed paper boards. Volume 14. Bristol Record Society. 1949. £20.00
- Hollis (Denzil), and Ralph (Elizabeth), edited and transcribed by MARRIAGE BONDS FOR THE DIOCESE OF BRISTOL Excluding the Archdeaconry of Dorset. Volume I. 1637-1700. 395pp, original cloth, early ownership inscription to front endpaper by a 'Richmond Herald.' Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society. 1952. £20.00
- Hudleston (C. Roy) HOW TO SEE BRISTOL. A Complete and Well Illustrated Guide to the City of Bristol. Illusts, adverts, 188pp, original printed card covers. Fourteenth Edition, J.W. Arrowsmith Ltd., Bristol: 1931. £8.00
- Hutton (W.R) ARROWSMITH'S GUIDE TO THE CITY AND COUNTY OF BRISTOL 1947-1948. Folding map, illusts, 96 + (1) + xxx pages of adverts, 12mo, few small marks to the original printed wraps. J.W. Arrowsmith Ltd, Bristol: 1948. £5.00
- Ingram (John H) THE TRUE CHATTERTON A New Study From Original Documents. Plates, 344pp, original cloth, spine faded, occasional foxing, ownership names to front endpaper. First edition. T. Fisher Unwin, London: 1910. £12.00
- Inspector's Report CITY OF BRISTOL. CHARITIES UNDER THE MANAGEMENT OF THE MUNICIPAL TRUSTEES. Inspector's Report (Copy.) iv + 159pp, folding tables, full contemporary calf, spine and edges rubbed, lacks spine, leather label on top board. Bristol: T.H. Mills, 1871. £18.00
* The copy in Hyett and Bazeley's Manual of Gloucestershire Literature finishes at page 141, at the end of Appendix 2. This copy has pages numbered 145-150, being Appendices 4 to 14. These Appendices appear to have been printed later.
- Jenks (Stuart) ROBERT STURMY'S COMMERCIAL EXPEDITION TO THE MEDITERRANEAN (1457/8) With Editions of the Trial of the Genoeses before King and Council and of other sources. Folding frontis, (xii) + 191pp, dustwrapper. Volume 58, Bristol Record Society, 2006. £12.00
- Jones (Joshua) FURTHER REPORT ON THE ACCOUNTS OF THE CORPORATION OF BRISTOL, as the late Governors of QUEEN ELIZABETH'S HOSPITAL. 177 + viipp, roy 8vo, unlettered cloth-backed boards, lightly rubbed. Bristol: Thomas and Henry James Mills, 1840. £30.00
- Kelly's KELLY'S DIRECTORY OF BRISTOL 1936. Lacks the map, 11 (adverts) + xxxi + 1350pp, original cloth, small hole to cloth in spine, cloth rubbed to edges, inner hinges crudely strengthened. Kelly's Directories Ltd., London: 1936. £25.00
- Lane (John Tremayne), and others CITY OF BRISTOL. ABSTRACT OF ACCOUNTS 1912-1913. ix + 90 + 92 + 160 + 19, small 4to, original qtr cloth, paper boards, boards water stained, slightly affecting a few leaves to front and rear, boards rubbed and lacking most of the paper from the top board, rear outer hinge partly split. Henry Hill, Bristol: 1913. £15.00
* Lists names of police in receipt of pensions or allowances.
- Large (David) and Round (Frances) PUBLIC HEALTH IN MID-VICTORIAN BRISTOL. Illusts, 23pp, original printed card covers, partly faded. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1974. £4.00
- Large (David), editor THE MUNICIPAL GOVERNMENT OF BRISTOL 1851 - 1901. 184pp, original cloth. Bristol Record Society. Volume 50. 1999. £8.00
- Latimer (John) ANNALS OF BRISTOL In the Nineteenth Century. [vi] + 552pp, later full leather, slightly rubbed to spine and edges. W & F. Morgan, Clare Street, Bristol: 1887. £36.00
- Latimer (John) ANNALS OF BRISTOL In the Nineteenth Century (concluded) 1887-1900. 108pp, original printed paper wraps, lacks 2 portions of spine, one approx 1" the other approx. «". Bristol: William George's Sons. 1902. £15.00
- Latimer (John) CALENDAR OF THE CHARTERS AND OF THE CITY AND COUNTY OF BRISTOL. 198pp, roy 8vo, original cloth, uncut and partly unopened. Printed under the Authority of the Corporation of Bristol by W.C. Hemmons, 1909. £15.00
- Leech (Joseph) RURAL RIDES OF THE BRISTOL CHURCHGOER. Edited with an introduction by Alan Sutton. Illusts, 320pp, original pictorial card covers. Nonsuch, Stroud: 2004. £6.00
- Leighton (Wilfrid) ENDOWED CHARITY IN BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE. 20pp, original wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society 1946-7-8. £4.00
- Levitt (Sarah) POUNTNEYS The Bristol Pottery at Fishponds 1905 - 1969. Illusts, 104pp, roy 8vo, spine of dustwrapper faded. Bristol: Redcliffe and City of Bristol Museum and Art Ga1lery, 1990. £20.00
- Little (Bryan) THE CITY AND COUNTY OF BRISTOL. A Study in Atlantic Civilisation. Plates, diagrams, xix + 399pp, original cloth, covered in an adhesive plastic sheet, lacks dustwrapper. First edition, Werner Laurie, London: 1954. £5.00
- Liversidge (M.J.H) THE BRISTOL HIGH CROSS. Illusts, 21pp, original pictorial card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1978. £4.00
- MacInnes (C.M) and Whittard (W.F) BRISTOL AND ITS ADJOINING COUNTIES. Plates, maps and diagrams, xiii + 335pp, roy 8vo, lacks dustwrapper. Published for the British Association for the Advancement of Science by the Local Executive Committee. Bristol: 1955. £12.00
- Mallory (Keith) THE BRISTOL HOUSE. Illusts, 96pp, original pictorial card covers. Redcliffe Press, Bristol: 1985. £6.00
- Manby (G.W) FUGITIVE SKETCHES OF THE HISTORY AND NATURAL BEAUTIES OF CLIFTON AND THE HOT WELLS AND VICINITY. Lacks plans and 12 of the 14 plates, 94pp + errata, recent cloth, ex-lib with labels to front endpapers, and stamp to verso of title, number to base of spine. First Edition. Bristol & London: (1802) £10.00
- Marshall (Emma) BRISTOL DIAMONDS or The Hot Wells in the Year 1773. A Story. Frontis, 188pp, original cloth, inner hinges cracked and weak, inscription on front pastedown. London: Seeley and Co., 1897. £9.00
- Masters (Betty R) and Ralph (Elizabeth) THE CHURCH BOOK OF ST. EWEN'S BRISTOL 1454 - 1584. Frontis, xxxix + 291pp, original cloth. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1967. £15.00
- Mathews (Matthew), printer and publisher MATHEWS'S ANNUAL BRISTOL DIRECTORY 1855. 411 + 25 pages of adverts, lacks the title-page and Almanack, 12mo, disbound. Bristol: Printed and Published by Matthew Mathews, 1855. £35.00
- Mathews (Joseph) THE BRISTOL GUIDE; Being a Complete Ancient & Modern History of the City of Bristol, The Hotwells and Clifton; Including a Description of the Interesting Curiosites of their Vicinity. Lacks plan, plate, 228 pages of 231, untrimmed in the original paper boards, boards loose, rubbed to edges and with some marks, shaken and text block in 2 halves, portion torn from inner margin of title-page. Fifth Edition, Revised and Carefully Corrected to the Present Time. Bristol: Printed, Published and Sold by J. Mathews. c.1819 £12.00
* The plate and a plan are not called for in Hyett and Bazeley's Manual of Gloucestershire Literature, though both are mentioned in the Preface.
- Mathews (Joseph) THE BRISTOL GUIDE; Being a complete Ancient and Modern History of the City of Bristol, The Hotwells and Clifton.... With 2 plates and a large folding plan, viii + 236pp, disbound, small repair to verso of plan, ownership inscriptions on title-page. Sixth Edition. Bristol: Printed by and Published by J. Mathews. 1825. £45.00
- Mathews (Joseph) THE BRISTOL GUIDE; Being a complete Ancient and Modern History of the City of Bristol, The Hotwells and Clifton.... Lacks the 2 plates and the plan, viii + 236pp, original paper boards, rubbed, lacks half of spine, shaken. Sixth Edition. Bristol: Printed by and Published by J. Mathews. 1825. £15.00
- Mathew (J) MATHEWS'S COMPLETE BRISTOL GUIDE; Forming An Ancient as well as a Modern History of that Opulent Provincial Metropolis with its Suburbs Clifton and the Hotwells:.... With 4 plates, 2 of which are folding, lacks plan of Bristol, viii + 240pp, sm 8vo, original cloth, some light marking to covers, internally sound. Seventh Edition. Carefully revised, with additions and improvements. Bristol: Printed by and Published by J. Mathews. (1828) £30.00
* The plates are not mentioned in Hyett and Bazeley.
- Mathews (Norris) A SURVEY OF THE BRISTOL PUBLIC LIBRARIES. A Paper read before the Library Association Bristol, 25th, 1900. 20pp, original wraps, spotting to front and rear. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith, 1900. £4.00
- Matthews (Kenneth) BRISTOL SAVAGES a brief illustrated history. Illusts, 12pp, 4to, partly faded original decorative card covers, few marks to top cover. Clive Farrow Printers Ltd., Bristol: 1992. £8.00
- McGrath (Patrick) JOHN WHITSON AND THE MERCHANT COMMUNITY OF BRISTOL. Illusts, 23pp, original printed card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1970. £4.00
- McGrath (Patrick), and Williams (Mary E), editor BRISTOL WILLS 1546 - 1593. ix + 90pp, folio, recent cloth, original wraps bound in. University of Bristol, 1975. £15.00
- Micklem (Nathaniel) ARNOLD THOMAS OF BRISTOL Collected Papers and Addresses. Frontis, 309pp, untrimmed in the original cloth. George Allen & Unwin Ltd., London: 1925. £6.00
BRISTOL ANTIQUARIAN BOOKS
Not all of my books are on line.
For a further selection and to receive my latest catalogue please E-mail :- email@example.com
- Mirror Office, printers CURSORY OBSERVATIONS ON THE CHURCHES OF BRISTOL. By an Occasional Visitor. With 4 plates, lacks frontis, and the engraved title-page, still retaining the printed title-page, viii + 248pp, original cloth, cloth slightly dull. The Second Edition. Revised and Considerably Augmented. Bristol: Mirror Office. 1843. £10.00
* Gives descriptions of the cathedral and 16 churches.
- Moore (Charles) ON ABNORMAL GEOLOGICAL DEPOSITS IN THE BRISTOL DISTRICT. Text illusts, pages numbered 67-82, lacks wraps. Reprinted from the Quarterly Journal of the Geological Society for 1881. £4.00
- Morgan (Kenneth) COUNTRY CARRIERS in the Bristol Region in the Late Nineteenth Century. Illusts, double-page map, 15pp, original pictorial card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1986. £4.00
- Morley (Averil) BIRD LIFE ON CLIFTON DOWNS. Map endpapers, 40pp, 12mo., original paper covers. J. Baker & Son, Clifton: c.194- £8.00
- Morris (Stephen) and Mowl (Tim) OPEN DOORS Bristol's hidden interiors. Coloured illusts, 45 + (3)pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Redcliffe, Bristol: 2002. £7.00
- Muirhead (J.A.O), edited for Old Cliftonian Society CLIFTON COLLEGE REGISTER, 1862 to 1947. Frontis, lxxx + 578pp, few spots to partly faded original cloth, occasional light foxing. J.W. Arrowsmith, Bristol: 1948. £12.00
- Muller Home THE 118th ANNUAL REPORT OF THE MULLER HOMES FOR CHILDREN Ashley Down, Bristol and of the other objects of the Scriptural Knowledge Institution for Home and Abroad Founded in the Year 1834 by the late George Muller. A Brief Narrative of facts for the period May 27th, 1956, to May 26th, 1957. Illusts, 68pp, original card covers. Wrights, Sandbach: 1957. £6.00
- Museum Committee CITY AND COUNTY OF BRISTOL THE CITY MUSEUM REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE For the year ended 31 December 1958. 20pp, original printed wraps. Corporation of the City and County of Bristol, 1958. £3.00
- Nicholls (J.F) and Taylor (John) BRISTOL PAST AND PRESENT. Volume 3 - Civil and Modern History. Numerous wood-cut illustrations, volume 2 of 3 only, ix + 356pp, 4to, original cloth, covers slightly dull, and rubbed to edges, couple of short splits to top outer hinge, inner hinges cracked and pulled. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith. 1882. £20.00
- Nicholls (J.F) and Taylor (John) BRISTOL PAST AND PRESENT. Volume 1 - Civil History. Numerous wood-cut illustrations, volume 1 of 3 only, x + 318pp, 4to, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, rear outer hinge split for approx. half its length, inner hinges pulled, frontis loose, and slightly ragged, small amount of damage to engraved surface. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith. 1881. £15.00
- Nicholls (J.F) THE EARLY BRISTOL CHARTERS AND THEIR CHIEF OBJECT. 8pp, stitched as issued, (lacks wraps ?). Reprinted from the Transactions of the Royal Historical Society, 1872. £4.00
- Nixon (J.A) THOMAS DOVER: Physician and Merchant Adventurer. 9pp, original printed wraps, owners name on top wrap. Reprinted from "The Bristol Medico-Chirurgical Journal, 1909. £5.00
* Thomas was born in 1682 and was a descendant of Robert Dover the founder of the Cotswold Games. Nixon was a physician at the Bristol Infirmary.
- Osborne (Michael) POLICING BRISTOL. The Story of the Bristol Police Force to 1974. Illusts, 109pp, original pictorial card covers. Redcliffe, Bristol: 1996. £8.00
- Parry (Robert Hughes) UNDER THE CHERRY TREE. Illusts. 163pp, dustwrapper. Gomerian Press, Llandysul: 1969. £6.00
* Includes chapters on his life in Bristol as Chief Medical Officer.
- Penny (John) UP, UP AND AWAY! An account of ballooning in and around Bristol and Bath 1784 to 1999. With 11 plates, double-page map, 32pp, original printed card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, The University, Bristol: 1999. £4.00
- Perry (C. Bruce) THE VOLUNTARY MEDICAL INSTITUTIONS OF BRISTOL. Illusts, 22pp, original pictorial card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1984. £4.00
- [Phillips (George Spencer)] LOCAL LEGENDS and Rambling Rhymes. By John Dix. Lacks illusts. xii + 132pp. 12mo, recent qtr cloth, paper boards, first and last leaf soiled, and with small stamp and contemporary date to title-page. George Davey, Bristol: 1839. £10.00
* The author is given as Phillips and John Ross on Copac and as John Ross in Hyett and Bazeley.
- Phillips (James) and Sons THE ROMANTIC BUILDINGS OF BRISTOL HISTORIC INNER CIRCLE. Presented with the compliments of James Phillips and Sons Ltd. Modern Furnishers and Household Removers Full page and textual illusts, 16pp, sm 8vo, original printed wraps. J.W. Arrowsmith, Bristol: c.195- £6.00
- Philpott (Kathleen) BRISTOL: ONE THOUSAND YEARS IN STITCHES The History Told by the Tapestry and its own History. Illusts, 66pp, original card covers, few spots to covers. Bristol: Kathleen Philpott, 1991. £7.00
* With a handwritten letter from the author loosely inserted.
- Pilkington (Christopher), Rector and Beloe (William G) Chairman of the Appeal Committee ST. STEPHEN'S TOWER APPEAL. For the Restoration of Bristol's City Parish Church. Illusts, including folding panorama, 10pp, original pictorial card covers. Printed by Partridge and Love, Ltd., Bristol: c.197- £8.00
- Poets Fellowship Bristol A THIRD BOOK OF POEMS by the Poets Fellowship Bristol. Illusts, 84pp, original card cover with paper label on top cover. Bristol: Partridge and Love, Ltd., Printers, 1922. £4.00
- Port of Bristol OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE PORT OF BRISTOL AUTHORITY 1930. Illusts, 4 plans 3 of which are coloured and folding, lacks plan of Portishead Dock, 102 + xxii pages of adverts, roy 8vo, original wraps, roy 8vo, private ownership label to title-page. F.G. Warne Limited, Bristol: (1930) £7.00
- Powell (A.G) BRISTOL COMMERCIAL ROOMS 1811-1951, With 7 illusts, 30pp, 12mo, original paper boards. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith, 1951. £9.00
* Lists the Presidents, Secretaries and Treasurers on the end papers.
- Powell (Cecil) S. MARY REDCLIFFE CHURCH. An Account of the Great Service of Thanksgiving For the Restoration on November 3rd, 1933 And Other Matters. With an introduction by the Vicar and a Description of the Work by Sir George Oatley. Illusts, 81pp, original wraps. 1933. £4.00
- Price (Roger) EXCAVATIONS AT ST. BARTHOLOMEWS HOSPITAL BRISTOL. Illusts, plans, 24pp, original pictorial card covers. Published for Bristol Threatened History Society, Redcliffe Press, Bristol: 1979. £6.00
- Priest (Gordon) THE PATY FAMILY. Makers of Eighteenth-century Bristol. Illusts, 190pp, original pictorial card covers. Redcliffe Press, Bristol: 2003. £8.00
- Pritchard (John E) BRISTOL ARCHAEOLOGICAL NOTES FOR 1900. With 3 plates, 14pp, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, Vol. 23. c.1900. £4.00
- Pritchard (John E) TOBACCO PIPES OF BRISTOL OF THE XVIIth CENTURY AND THEIR MAKERS. With 6 plates, pages numbered 165-191, complete, original printed wraps, small area to top wrap rubbed.. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, Vol. 45. 1923. £6.00
- Quick (Richard), Superintendent BRISTOL ART GALLERY. CATALOGUE (With Descriptive Notes) of the Permanent and Sixth Loan Collection of Pictures and the collection of Statuary. With 2 floor plans, 87pp, 12mo, original wraps, lacks spine, small portion torn from top wrap, wraps spotty, short tear to rear wrap. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith, 1907. £4.00
- Quick (Richard), Superintendent BRISTOL ART GALLERY AND MUSEUM OF ANTIQUITIES. Guide to the Museum Collections. 22pp, 12mo, original decorative wraps, small portion torn from fore-edge of top wrap. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith, 1909. £5.00
- Ralph (Elizabeth) GUIDE TO THE BRISTOL ARCHIVES OFFICE. xiii + 132pp, dustwrapper. Bristol Corporation. 1971. £8.00
- [Ralph (Elizabeth)] THE DOWNS 1861-1961. Clifton and Durdham Downs. To Commemorate the Centenary of the Corporate Ownership of the Downs 17th May 1861. With 4 plates, 16pp, original wraps. City and County of Bristol: 1961. £5.00
- Ralph (Elizabeth), and Hardwick (Nora M), editor CALENDAR OF THE BRISTOL APPRENTICE BOOK 1532 - 1565. Part II 1542 - 1552. xii + 196pp, original cloth, some brown splash marks to top board. Volume 33. Bristol Record Society. 1980. £14.00
- Ralph (Elizabeth), editor CALENDAR OF THE BRISTOL APPRENTICE BOOK. Part III 1552-1565. ix + 155pp, original cloth. Volume 43. Bristol Record Society. 1992. £10.00
- Rawnsley (H.D) A BOOK OF BRISTOL SONNETS. xiii + 144pp, original decorative cloth, gilt, a.e.g., endpapers spotty. London, Hamilton, Adams, & Co., 1877. £16.00
- Reid (J), publisher THE CABINET, A Repository of Facts, Figures, and Fancies relating to the voyage of the "GREAT BRITAIN" S.S. from Liverpool to Melbourne. With The Eleven of All England (cricket team) and other distinguished passengers. 46pp, 4to, original card covers. Originally published by J. Reid, Melbourne: 1862, reprinted S.S. Great Britain Project, Bristol: c.1975. £7.00
- Restoration Committee SIXTEEN YEARS' DOINGS IN THE RESTORATION OF ST. MARY CHURCH. Addressed By the Restoration Committee, to the Public. With a Statement of Accounts from the Commencement, and a List of Subscribers. 67pp, lacks frontis, disbound, lacks a 1" narrow strip from inner margin of title-page. Bristol: C.T. Jefferies, 1858. £10.00
- Rimbron (Rev. T) THE DOMESTIC MONITOR: Or A Director and Guide, to Parents and Children to Masters and Servants, in Religion, and the Way of Salvation. A New Edition: Revised and Enlarged. iv + 132pp, lacks last leaf of text and one other leaf from rear, 8vo, early qtr cloth paper boards, rubbed, top board held by strings. Printed by Bulgin and Roisser, Bristol: (1790) £12.00
* Rimbron was a lecturer in the Church of St. Nicholas, in the City of Bristol.
- Sabin (Arthur), and others BRISTOL CATHEDRAL 800th Anniversary 1165-1965. An account of the Cathedral, its history, architecture and role in the life of the city and diocese.... Illusts, 32pp, original card covers. Allens (Weston) Ltd., 1965. £4.00
- Sabin (Arthur), editor SOME MANORIAL ACCOUNTS OF ST. AUGUSTINE'S ABBEY, BRISTOL. Being the Computa of the Manors for 1491-2 and 1496-7 and other documents of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. viii + 221pp, original cloth-backed paper boards. Volume 22. Bristol Record Society. 1960. £18.00
- Sampson (Walter Adam) THE LIFE OF THE REV. THOMAS WHITE D.D. With an Account of the Temple Hospital, Bristol and Sion College, London. With a frontis and one other plate, 88pp, 12mo, original cloth, ex-lib. with label to front pastedown, and signs where label removed from foot of spine. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith, Ltd., 1912. £5.00
- Saywell (Ruby J) MARY CARPENTER OF BRISTOL. Illusts, 20pp, original printed card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1964. £4.00
- Seyer (Rev. Samuel) MEMOIRS HISTORICAL AND TOPOGRAPHICAL OF BRISTOL AND ITS NEIGHBOURHOOD, from the Earliest Period down to the Present Time. Volume 1 of 2 only. With 20 engraved and lithographed plates, 535pp, disbound, one section of text loosening and one plate loose. Large paper copy printed on thicker paper. Printed for the Author by John Mathew Gutch, Bristol: 1821. £30.00
- Seyer (Rev. Samuel) MEMOIRS HISTORICAL AND TOPOGRAPHICAL OF BRISTOL AND ITS NEIGHBOURHOOD, from the Earliest Period down to the Present Time. Volume 2 of 2 only. Lacks all of the plates except for a plate of the Mayor's Chapel which is not called for in the list of plates, 601pp, full early calf, rubbed, outer hinges split, inner hinges reinforced, marbled endpapers, much early underlining, and with some interesting marginal notes and corrections. Printed for the Author by John Mathew Gutch, Bristol: 1823. £20.00
- Seyer (Rev. Samuel) CHARTERS AND LETTERS PATENT, Granted by the Kings and Queens of England to the Town and City of Bristol, newly translated and accompanied by the Original Latin. xviii + 317pp, 4to, untrimmed in contemporary paper boards, boards rubbed and loose, lacks spine, first 8 leaves and front endpaper loose, these leaves have cellotape across some of their margins, occasional spotting. Bristol: Printed for John Mathew Gutch, 1812. £10.00
- Sharp (Margaret), editor ACCOUNTS OF THE CONSTABLES OF BRISTOL CASTLE In the Thirteenth and Early Fourteenth Centuries. lxiii + 128pp, few small spots to the original cloth and endpapers. Volume 34. Bristol Record Society. 1982. £12.00
- Shiercliff (E) THE BRISTOL AND HOTWELL GUIDE; Containing an account of the ancient and present state of the Opulent City.... A concise Description of Villages and Seats in the Vicinity;.... &c. &c. With a frontis and a folding plan, lacks 1 plate, 161pp, sm 8vo, untrimmed in original rubbed paper boards, later paper spine, small area coloured to map. Fourth Edition. Bristol: Printed by Mills, opposite the Drawbridge, c.1808. £25.00
- Skeeters (Martha C) COMMUNITY AND CLERGY Bristol and Reformation c.1530 - c.1570. 3 plans, x + 319pp, dustwrapper. Clarendon Press, Oxford: 1993. £22.00
- Skelton (J) SKELTON'S ETCHINGS OF THE ANTIQUITIES OF BRISTOL from original Sketches by the late Hugh O'Neill. With an engraved title page, and 43 of 55 engraved plates, 2pp, small folio, early half calf, marbled boards, edges rubbed, short splits to top outer hinges, Bristol: Davey and Muskett, (1825) £45.00
- Sketchley. introduction by Bryan Little. SKETCHLEY'S BRISTOL DIRECTORY 1775. One plate, 11 + 126 + 2pp, dustwrapper. Originally published in 1775. Facsimile Reprint, Bath: Kingsmead, 1971. £18.00
- Slaughter Houses BY-LAWS WITH RESPECT TO SLAUGHTER - HOUSES within The City and County of Bristol. 15pp, slightly dusty original printed wraps. Bristol: W.B. Harris, 1925. £4.00
- Smalley (Donald) BROWNING'S ESSAY ON CHATTERTON Edited with Introductory Chapters and Notes. With a Foreword by William C. De Vane. xi + 194pp, portions torn from head and foot of spine of dustwrapper. Harvard University Press, 1948. £6.00
- Smith (Michael Quinton) ST MARY REDCLIFFE An architectural history. With 40 illustrations, 175pp, dustwrapper. Edition of 1,250 copies. Redcliffe Press, Ltd., Bristol: 1995. £16.00
- Somerville (John) CHRISTOPHER THOMAS SOAPMAKER OF BRISTOL. The Chistr. Thomas & Bros. 1745-1954. Illusts, 121 + (8) pages of index, dustwrapper. White Tree Books, Bristol: 1991. £7.00
- St Mary Redcliffe THE ALTARPIECE OF ST MARY REDCLIFFE: William Hogarth. Illusts, 12pp, original pictorial card covers. Reprinted City Museum & Art Gallery, Bristol: 1977. £4.00
* Hogarth was given the commission to paint the triptych in 1755, and finished it in 1756.
- Stanford (Maureen), editor THE ORDINANCES OF BRISTOL 1506 - 1598. xxiv + (ii) + 117pp, original cloth. Volume 41. Bristol Record Society. 1990. £10.00
- Street (Doreen) A BRISTOL PANORAMA. Fascinating stories of people and places in and around the city. Illusts, 80pp, original pictorial card covers. Redcliffe, Bristol: 1992. £7.00
* Includes chapters on:- Coal Miners; Redcliffe; Netham Works; Baptist Mills; Fishponds, etc.
- Temple Local History Group BRISTOL PAST Revisited with Sperry Local History Group. A Series of 16 Walks and Talks. Illusts, diagrams, maps, 61 pages, typescript printed on rectos only, small folio, original decorative wraps, plastic spine, few spots to first leaf. Second edition, Temple Local History Group, Bristol: 1982. £5.00
- Thomas (Ethel) DOWN THE 'MOUTH A History of Avonmouth. Illusts, map endpapers, 128pp, dustwrapper. Second Edition, Ethel Thomas, Avonmouth: 1992. £8.00
- Thomas (Ethel) WAR STORY. Illusts, 271pp, dustwrapper. Ethel Thomas, Avonmouth: 1989. £9.00
* This is a history of Shirehampton and Avonmouth during both World Wars.
- Thomas (Gertrude) ? WAIFS AND STRAYS FROM PITCH AND PAY. 16pp, 12mo, original card covers. Privately Printed, J.W. Arrowsmith, 1933. £8.00
* Poetry. Loosely inserted is a printed letter sheet addressed:- 'Pitch and Pay, Stoke Bishop, Bristol,' on which is written:- 'From Gertrude Thomas.'
- Tombs (R.C) THE BRISTOL ROYAL MAIL, Post, Telegraph and Telephone. Numerous illusts, 295pp, original cloth, gilt, spine faded, outer hinges slightly rubbed. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith. c.1899. £16.00
- Tomlinson (Charles) ISAAC ROSENBERG OF BRISTOL. Illusts, 19pp, original pictorial card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1982. £4.00
* Poet who wrote 'Poems from the Trenches' during the first World War.
- Underdown (P.T) BRISTOL AND BURKE. Illusts, 19pp, original printed card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1961. £4.00
- University of Bristol UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL. PROCEEDINGS OF THE SPELAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY 1946-1948. Volume 6. No 1. Illusts, folding plate, 96pp, original printed wraps, slight wear. March, 1949. £8.00
* Includes:- Burrington Combe Survey; Tyning's Farm; August Hole and Longwood Woods Swallet; Earthworks between Shipham and Charterhouse-on-Mendip, etc.
- University of Bristol UNIVERSITY OF BRISTOL. PROCEEDINGS OF THE SPELAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY. Volume 10. No 3. Illusts, plates, diagrams, some of which are folding. Printed by John Wright, Bristol: 1965. £7.00
* Includes articles:- Roman Temple on Brean Down; Fergus River Cave, Co. Clare, Ireland; Coole Cave, County Galway; Amber Found at Gough's Cave, Cheddar, etc.
- Vinter (Dorothy) THE FRIENDS MEETING HOUSE, FRENCHAY. With 4 illusts, 15pp, 12mo, original card covers. F. Bailey, Dursley: 1963. £4.00
- Waite (Colston) THE STORY OF THE BRISTOL SAVAGES. Illusts, 33pp, original card covers. Mendip Press, Bath: c.1970. £8.00
- Waite (Vincent) THE BRISTOL HOTWELL. Illusts, 17pp, original printed card covers. Reprinted, Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1990. £4.00
- Wakefield (Kenneth) TARGET FILTON. The two Luftwaffe attacks in September 1940. Illusts, maps, 223pp, original pictorial card covers. Redcliffe, Bristol: 1979. £8.00
- Walker (Iain C) THE BRISTOL CLAY TOBACCO-PIPE INDUSTRY. Illusts, 40pp, original pictorial cards covers. City Museums, Bristol: 1971. £4.00
- Watts (Martin), editor TWO CEMETERIES FROM BRISTOL'S NORTHERN SUBURBS. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Report No 4. Plans, illusts, diagrams, vi + 95pp, original printed wraps. Cotswold Archaeological Trust, 2006. £4.00
* Excavations at Henbury School, and at Hewlett Packard, Filton.
- Way (J.P) A SHORT HISTORY OF OLD BRISTOL POTTERY AND PORCELAIN MARKS, &c. With 10 plates, diagram, 32pp, sm 8vo, original printed card covers, occasional foxing. Burleigh Ltd., Bristol: c.1900. £9.00
- Weare (G.E) EDMUND BURKE'S CONNECTION WITH BRISTOL, FROM 1774 TILL 1780; With a prefatory memoir of Burke. Illusts, xviii + 174pp, original cloth slightly rubbed to edges, ex-lib. with just a stamp and an ink note to front endpaper, number in ink to foot of title. First edition, Bristol: William Bennett, 1894. £15.00
- Wedmore (Edmund T) RICHARD REYNOLDS. Philanthropist. Frontis, 22pp, lacks lower wrap, top wrap loose. Scholastic Trading Co., Ltd., Bristol: 1907. £4.00
- Wells (Charles) A SHORT HISTORY OF THE PORT OF BRISTOL. With 62 illustrations, folding map, lacks the plan of Royal Edward Dock, viii + 426pp, later half calf, cloth boards, unlettered label on spine. First edition. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith, 1909. £14.00
- Wells (Charles), edited and illustrated by Reece Winstone. BRISTOL'S HISTORY. 96pp, original laminated boards, ownership signature on front pastedown. Reece Winstone, Bristol: 1966. £8.00
- White (George) TRAMLINES TO THE STARS. George White of Bristol. Illusts, 80pp, original pictorial card covers. Redcliffe Press, Bristol: 1995. £4.00
- Whitson (John) EXTRACTS FROM THE LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF JOHN WHITSON Alderman of the City of Bristol. 7pp, original printed wraps. Everard, Bristol: 1911. £4.00
- Whitson (John), Alderman of the City of Bristol A PIOUS MEDITATION, COMPOSED IN THE SEVENTEENTH CENTURY, BY JOHN WHITSON, Alderman of the City of Bristol; To which is subjoined Some Account of the Author, by the Late George Symes Catcott, With Additional Memoirs Collected by the Present Editor, by the Rev. John Eden. With an engraved plate, lacks frontis, 78pp, small folio, contemporary cloth, rubbed to edges, lacks spine, shaken, plate waterstained, adjacent leaves partly crinkled. Bristol: John Mills, 1829. £12.00
- Wilkins (H.J) PERAMBULATION OF THE BOUNDARIES OF THE ANCIENT PARISH OF WESTBURY-ON-TRYM in May, 1803 A.D. With Notes; also an Enquiry concerning two Bristol Place names - Whiteladies Road and Durdham Down. Lacks map, 24pp, original printed wraps, wraps slightly ragged lacking small portions from corners, crude paper spine, with inner hinges crudely strengthened, first and last leaves dusty. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith Ltd. 1920. £7.00
- Wilkins (H.J) REDLAND CHAPEL AND REDLAND. Illusts, 98pp, some marks to the. partly dusty, original wraps, occasional light spotting to text, hand-written title on spine. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith, 1924. £8.00
- Wilkins (H.J) REDLAND CHAPEL AND REDLAND. Illusts, 98pp, recent cloth, ex-lib. with usual stamps and labels, small stain to inner margins of prelims, short tear to lower margin of frontis. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith, 1924. £8.00
- Wilkins (H.J) SOME CHAPTERS IN THE ECCLESIASTICAL HISTORY OF WESTBURY ON TRYM. 1. Desecration of Bishop Carpenter's Tomb. 2. Decay of the College Buildings. 3. Dispersion of Church Lands. 3. Alienation of Tithes. 5. Sale of the Living. To which is appended A List of Abbots, Deans and Vicars since A.D. 715. Illusts., maps, 99pp, original wraps, lacks portions of spine, wraps slightly soiled, some foxing mainly to prelims, shaken. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith, 1909. £15.00 --- See sample text
- Wilkins (H.J) THE LETTERS PATENT OF KING HENRY VIII GRANTING WESTBURY ON TRYM Collegiate Church and College, etc., together with all their Endowments to Sir Ralph Sadleir. Frontis, 42pp, original wraps, spotty and partly waterstained, affecting frontis and title-page, and several top margins, spine partly split, hinges rusty. Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith. 1909. £9.00
- Williams (Bruce) EXCAVATIONS IN THE MEDIEVAL SUBURB OF REDCLIFFE, BRISTOL, 1980. Plates, plan, illusts in text, 30pp, original pictorial card covers. City of Bristol Museum and Art Gallery and Bristol Threatened History Society, 1981. £4.00
- Wilson (R.N) BRISTOL, CLIFTON AND DISTRICT VIEWS AND REVIEWS. Illusts, 57pp, small oblong folio, original qtr cloth, printed paper boards, rubbed to edges, short tear to one leaf, inner hinges partly cracked, slightly shaken, short tear to slightly dusty first leaf. Printed and Published by A.W. Ford Ltd., c 190- £20.00
- Winkles A DESCRIPTIVE ACCOUNT OF THE CATHEDRAL CHURCH OF BRISTOL. 5 engraved plates, 8pp, (pages numbered 121-128), later qtr calf, marbled boards, slightly rubbed, paper label on top board, plates foxed. (1841) £12.00
* Extracted from Winkles 'Architectural and Picturesque Illustrations of the Cathedral Churches of England.'
- Winstone (Reece) CHANGES IN THE FACE OF BRISTOL. Over 120 Photographs. (64)pp, roy 8vo, original pictorial laminated boards. First Edition, Reece Winstone, Bristol: 1987. £18.00
* Signed by Reece Winstone on the front endpaper.
- Winstone (Reece) BRISTOL AS IT WAS 1939 - 1914. Over 100 Photographs. 56pp, roy 8vo, original pictorial laminated boards. Fifth Edition, Reece Winstone, Bristol: 1978. £8.00
- Winstone (Reece) VICTORIAN AND EDWARDIAN BRISTOL from old photographs. With 152 plates, spine of dustwrapper slightly faded. First edition, B.T. Batsford Ltd. 1976. £9.00
- Witt (Cleo) CERAMICS IN BRISTOL: THE FINE WARES. 1670-1970. Illusts, 31pp, original pictorial card covers. City of Bristol Museum and Art Gallery, 1979. £4.00
* Catalogue of the exhibition at the museum which was held 21st September 1979 - 31st January, 1980.
- Wood (John), architect A DESCRIPTION OF THE EXCHANGE OF BRISTOL: Wherein the Ceremony of Laying the First Stone of that Structure; Together with That of Opening the Building for Publick Use, Is particularly Recited. With 2 double-page plans, and 6 engraved plates, 3 of which are double-page, 36pp, original cloth, dustwrapper. LIMITED TO 750 COPIES. First published in 1745. Kingsmead Reprint, Bath: 1969. £15.00
- Wright (David) MEMORIALS OF STOKE BISHOP; its Church & First Vicar. Illusts, viii + 126pp, original cloth-backed, covers dull and slightly soiled, one section of text held by strings, signs where label removed from front pastedown. First edition. Bristol: John Wright & Co., 1897. £12.00
- Wright (Lance) OLD BRISTOL A Description of Old Buildings Illusts, plans, folding map, 24pp, original pictorial card covers. Compton Dando, London: 1952. £6.00
- Wright (Mary) ELIZABETH BLACKWELL OF BRISTOL. The First Woman Doctor. Illusts, 24pp, original pictorial card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1995. £4.00
Back to the TopCopyright © Ambra Books - 2017. All rights reserved.
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :-
Tel:- ( 0117 ) 9076899
E-mail :- firstname.lastname@example.org
Cornwall -- Cornwall Clearance
Devon -- Devon Clearance
Dorset -- Dorset Clearance
Gloucestershire -- Gloucestershire Clearance
Somerset -- Somerset Clearance
Wiltshire -- Wiltshire Clearance
General ( Includes items of BRISTOL interest. ) -- General Clearance ( Includes items of BRISTOL interest. )
BRISTOL :- Selection of items I wish to purchase
BRISTOL :- Selection of manuscripts, maps, ephemera etc. for sale from Lesley Aitchison.
AMBRA BOOKS Home page