WEST COUNTRY Clearance List 227/WC
History, Topography and Genealogy
odds, sods, and a few others
Duplicates of some items.
10% Discount for 2 items
20% Discount for 4 items
30% Discount for 6 items
40% Discount for 8 items
50% Discount for 10 items
Bristol -- Cornwall -- Devon -- Dorset -- Gloucestershire -- Somerset --
Wiltshire -- General (Includes a selection of other counties.)
This is a selection from my stock.
Please let me know if there are any other titles you are looking for.
Click on:- ORDERING details
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :- ( 0117 ) 9076899
Postage, packing and insurance are extra.
When ordering from this list please note item No., Author, and Title.
Payment can be made by either sterling cheque, or by bank transfer.
Prices are nett.
- Arrowsmith, printers ARROWSMITH 1854 - 1954. Illusts, 36pp, original cloth, partly faded, covers partly soiled, mark to rear board. J.W. Arrowsmith, Bristol: 1955. £15.00
- Arthur (William) THE SUCCESSFUL MERCHANT: Sketches of the Life of Mr Samuel Budgett, late of Kingswood Hill. Engraved portrait frontis, vii + (i) + 290pp, original embossed cloth, small strip of cloth chipped from head of spine, frontis slightly foxed, otherwise a nice copy. London: Hamilton, Adams and Co., 1873. £12.00
* 'Kngswood is not a bewitching place. Going out from Bristol, you find the road skirted by rough cottages, prolific of a rough population'.
- Baker (Ethel W) MISS ANN GREEN OF CLIFTON. Second Edition. Illusts. xxi + 195pp, original boards. First edition thus. Reece Winstone, Bristol: 1974. £10.00
* A novel set in the period leading up to the riots of 1831.
- Barker (Cedric) MOSTLY CLIFTON. Numerous illusts, 112pp, oblong 8vo, dustwrapper. Redcliffe Press, Tiverton: 1997. £9.00
- Barker (Kathleen) ENTERTAINMENT IN THE NINETIES. Illusts, 20pp, original printed card covers, small area slightly rubbed to top cover. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1973. £4.00
- Belsey (James), Jenner (Michael), and others MUDDLING THROUGH. BRISTOL IN THE FIFTIES. 96pp, original decorative covers, corners cut from top margins of last 2 leaves. Redcliffe Press, Bristol: 1988. £4.00
- Bettey (J.H), edited by STUDIES ON THE HISTORY OF WHITCHURCH. With 2 illusts, 40pp, original printed card covers, cloth spine, slight spotting to few leaves at front and rear, bookplate to verso of top cover. University of Bristol Department of Extra-Mural Studies, 1976. £10.00
- Bettey (Joseph), editor RECORDS OF BRISTOL CATHEDRAL. Essays in Memory of Elizabeth Ralph 1911-2000. Illusts, 230pp, dustwrapper, ownership signature on front endpaper. Volume 59. Bristol Record Society. 2007. £12.00
- Bird (J. Edward) A COLLECTION OF SKETCHES AND ETCHINGS OF BRISTOL. Illusts in the text, 56pp, original wraps, short tear to top wrap, lacks approx. 1" portions from head and foot of spine. J. Edward Bird, 136 Wellington Hill West, Henleaze, Bristol: Revised Edition. 1956. £6.00
- Boon (George C) KINGS WESTON ROMAN VILLA Illusts, 22pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Department of Archaeology City Museum Bristol, 1967. £4.00
- Bristol Naturalists' Society, edited by A.E. Frey PROCEEDINGS OF THE BRISTOL NATURALISTS' SOCIETY, 1989. Volume 49. With maps, illusts and diagrams in the text, 80pp, original printed card covers. Printed for the Society. Bristol: Grenfell Printing, 1991. £4.00
* Includes:- Small Mammals in Avon; Early Ordovician Trilobite Beltella, etc.
- Bristol Riots 1831 REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONERS APPOINTED UNDER THE BRISTOL DAMAGES COMPENSATION ACT and Statement of Actions for Damages and Proceedings had therein under that Act, with their General Results. Folio, 22pp, original cloth, with printed label on top cover, boards and some pages loose, title-page dusty, boards dusty and rubbed to edges, and with some splash marks. Bristol: John Taylor, Printer, Mirror Office, 1835. £14.00
* Gives the names of the plaintiffs, subject of their claim, and costs involved.
- Brown (Patricia) EIGHT BRISTOL CHURCHES. Illusts, 25pp, oblong 8vo, original printed wraps, lacks spine, small mark on top wrap. A BSSA publication, c.197- £4.00
- Buchanan (R.A) and Cossons (Neil) INDUSTRIAL HISTORY IN PICTURES: BRISTOL. Plates, 112pp, roy 8vo, dustwrapper. David & Charles, Newton Abbot: 1970. £10.00
- Burgess (Clive), editor THE PRE-REFORMATION RECORDS OF ALL SAINTS' BRISTOL: Part 2: The Churchwardens' Accounts. viii + 388pp, original cloth, dustwrapper. Volume 53. Bristol Record Society. 2000. £10.00
- Butcher (E.E) BRISTOL CORPORATION OF THE POOR 1696-1898. Illusts, 23pp, original printed card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1972. £4.00
- George (Edwin and Stella) and Fleming (Peter), editor BRISTOL PROBATE INVENTORIES Part III. 1690-1804. Folding frontis, xvii + 249pp, dustwrapper. Volume 60. Bristol Record Society, 2008. £16.00
- Hutton (Stanley) BRISTOL AND ITS FAMOUS ASSOCIATIONS. Illusts, viii + 406pp, original cloth, inner margins of front endpapers strengthened, lettering feint on spine, name to front endpaper. First edition, Bristol: J.W. Arrowsmith, 1907. £6.00
* Includes chapters on the Scientific, Literary and Artistic life of the city, and mentions Hannah More, Coleridge, Wordsworth, Chatterton, William Penn, Humphrey Davy, Southey, Landor, George Whitefield, etc.
- Jones (David) A HISTORY OF CLIFTON Illusts, maps, xii + 196pp, slightly faded dustwrapper. Phillimore, Chichester: 1992. £7.00
- Little (Bryan) CHURCHES IN BRISTOL. Illusts, map, 40pp, original pictorial card covers. Redliffe press, Bristol: 1978. £4.00
- Marshall (Peter) BRISTOL AND THE ABOLITION OF SLAVERY. The Politics of Emancipation. Illusts, 28 + ivpp, original printed card covers. Bristol Branch of the Historical Association, 1975. £5.00
- Mathews (William S) MATHEWS'S ANNUAL DIRECTORY FOR THE CITY AND COUNTY OF BRISTOL, including Clifton, Bedminster, and Surrounding Villages. 1864. Sixty-Sixth Edition. 422 + 14 pages of adverts, 12mo, original embossed cloth, few marks and slightly rubbed, recased with original spine laid down, and new endpapers. Bristol: Printed and Published by William S. Mathews, 1864. £65.00
- McGrath (Patrick), editor BRISTOL IN THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY. Illustrations, 227pp, dustwrapper. David and Charles, Newton Abbot: 1972. £15.00
* Includes chapters on the slave trade, Thomas Chatterton, Edmund Burke, etc.
- [Newbolt (Sir Francis George)] CLIFTON COLLEGE FORTY YEARS AGO. The Diary of a Praepostor. With 4 illusts, vi + 176pp, original cloth partly faded, prelims slightly foxed. Philip Allan & Co., Ltd., London: 1927. £10.00
- Ralph (Elizabeth), and Hardwick (Nora M), editor CALENDAR OF THE BRISTOL APPRENTICE BOOK 1532 - 1565. Part II 1542 - 1552. xii + 196pp, original cloth, some brown splash marks to top board. Volume 33. Bristol Record Society. 1980. £9.00
- Ralph (Elizabeth), editor CALENDAR OF THE BRISTOL APPRENTICE BOOK. Part III 1552-1565. ix + 155pp, original cloth, Bristol University labels to front endpapers. Volume 43. Bristol Record Society. 1992. £8.00
- Wadley (Rev. T.P) NOTES OR ABSTRACTS OF THE WILLS contained in THE GREAT ORPHAN BOOK and BOOK OF WILLS, in the Council House, Bristol. 4 + 313pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, covers partly waterstained, not affecting contents. First edition, Bristol and Gloucestershire Society: 1886. £15.00
- Wesley (John) THE SELECTED PAMPHLETS. (Kingswood interest.) With 5 coloured illusts, 171pp, original cloth. The John Marcon Press Hand made in England 2000. £10.00
* Contains reprints of eleven pamphlets, including 'Thoughts upon Slavery', 'A Short Account of the School in Kingswood', 'The Late Work of God in North America'.
- Witt (Cleo), Weedon (Cyril) and Schwind (Arlene Palmer) BRISTOL GLASS. With 20 coloured and 28 black and white plates, 94pp, dustwrapper. Bristol & West Building Society and City of Bristol Museum & Art Gallery. 1984. £6.00
- Wright (J) and Co's MATHEWS' BRISTOL DIRECTORY, 1877. With Adjacent Villages. Lacks map (?), 446 + (1)pp, original cloth, lacks all before title-page, lower board loose, top outer hinge partly split. Bristol: J. Wright & Co. 1877. £40.00
A further selection of BRISTOL Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Acton (Viv) A HISTORY OF TRURO. Volume 1 From Coinage Town to Cathedral City. Illusts, maps, 221pp, original pictorial card covers. Landfall Publications, Truro: 1997. £8.00
- Barham (L. Fisher) CORNWALL'S ELECTRIC TRAMCARS The History of the Camborne and Redruth Systems. Illusts, 84pp, 4to, slightly rubbed dustwrapper. Glasney Press, Penryn: (1972) £8.00
- Benney (D.E) AN INTRODUCTION TO CORNISH WATER-MILLS. Illusts, 104pp, dustwrapper. Bradford Barton, Truro: 1972. £9.00
- Bristow (Colin) GEOLOGY OF CHINA CLAY IN CORNWALL. Illusts, plans, 10pp, St Austell China Clay Museum, c.1970. £4.00
- Brown (H. Miles) BATTLES ROYAL Charles I and the Civil War in Cornwall & the West. Illusts, maps, 88pp, original pictorial card covers. Libra Books, Lostwithiel: 1982. £8.00
- Brown (Kenneth) and Acton (Bob) EXPLORING CORNISH MINES. Volume 1, Consols & United - Kitty & Blue Hills Tywarnhayle - Basset - Dolcoath Botallack to Boswedden. Plates, plans diagrams, 144pp, original pictorial card covers. Second Edition, Landfall Publications, Truro: 1996. £6.00
- Bude and Stratton Old District Cornwall Society AROUND BUDE The Archive Photographs Series. Illusts, 128pp, original pictorial card covers, fragment of small label to verso of top cover. Chalford Publishing, Stroud: 1998. £8.00
- Carter (Clive) CORNISH SHIPWRECKS Volume 2: the North Coast. Illusts, charts, 236pp, dustwrapper. David and Charles, Newton Abbot: 1970. £12.00
- Cooke (A.G), Rector of the Parish HISTORY OF ST. COLUMB PARISH CHURCH. Illusts, adverts, 12 unnumberd pages, original pictorial card covers. Includes a list of the Rectors since 1264. Edyvean Printers, St. Columb: c.1992. £4.00
- Cornish Institute of Mining, edited by William Thomas. TRANSACTIONS OF THE CORNISH INSTITUTE OF MINING, MECHANICAL AND METALLURGICAL ENGINEERS. Volume 3 and 4. Two volumes bound in one, folding plates and diagrams, 95 + 117pp, original wraps, short tear to top wrap, occasional off-setting spotting. Cornish Institute of Mining, Mechanical and Metallurgical Engineers, Camborne: 1915 and 1916. £30.00
* Includes articles:- Mines Drainage; Deep Lead and Drift Mines, etc.
- Croxford (Bob) FROM CORNWALL WITH LOVE. Illusts, map, 95pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial laminated boards. Presentation inscription to front endpaper. Atmosphere, Helston: 1993. £5.00
- Fowles (John) SHIPWRECK. Photography by the Gibsons of Scilly. Numerous illusts, 2 maps, 48pp, oblong 4to, original cloth, dustwrapper. First edition, Jonathan Cape, London: 1974. £8.00
- Grigson (Geoffrey) FREEDOM OF THE PARISH. With 19 plates and a map, 208pp, small portion torn from rear of dustwrapper, few short tears to dustwrapper repaired to verso. First edition, Phoenix House, London: 1954. £15.00
* Concerns the parish of Pelynt.
- Hanson (John and Pat) 'TO CLOTHE THE FIELDS WITH PLENTY' Farming in Cornwall at the end of the 18th century, viewed through the life and times of George Wilce of St. Kew. Maps, illusts in the text, 64pp, original pictorial card covers. Landfall Publications, Truro: 1997. £7.00
- Heard (John), edited by Gillian Thompson THE GAZETTEER OF THE COUNTY OF CORNWALL; 116pp, few small marks to the originally pictorial card covers. Originally Printed and Published by and for John Heard. Truro: (1817), privately reprinted Truro: 1996. £14.00
* 'I have made a couple of cosmetic changes....' Gillian Thompson.
- Heffer (Philip) EAST POOL & AGAR. A Cornish Mining Legend. Illusts, diagrams, 60pp, original pictorial card covers. Dyllansow Truran, Redruth: 1985. £8.00
- Helston Election REPORT BY THE LORDS COMMITTEES, Appointed To search for Proceedings as to the hearing of Petitioners by Counsel for and against Bills of a similar Nature to The Helleston Election Bill. Folio, disbound, 2pp + title leaf, couple of short tears to margins. Ordered to be printed 22nd March, 1815. £12.00
- Husband (S. Teague) OLD NEWQUAY. Illustrations by A.A. Golding. x + 124pp, original printed wraps, lacks approx. half inch from foot of spine. First Edition, Newquay: F.E. Williams, 1923. £14.00
- Ivey (W.F) A DICTIONARY OF CORNISH DIALECT WORDS. Including a Glossary of Cornish Names. 72 pages, original card covers are slightly soiled, some spots one leaf at front and rear. Helston Printers, 1976. £5.00
- Ivey (W.F) MEMORIES OF OLD HELSTON AND PORTHLEVEN. Photographic illusts with descriptive captions, (88)pp, oblong folio, original pictorial card covers, name to top cover, foot of title-page spotty. Helston Printers, c.197- £12.00
- Jenkin (John) A FIRST HISTORY OF CORNWALL. Illusts, maps, 86pp, original pictorial card covers. Dyllansow Truran, Redruth: 1984. £4.00
- Johnson (Nicholas), Payton (Philip) and Spalding (Adrian), editors THE CONSERVATION VALUE OF METALLIFEROUS MINE SITES IN CORNWALL. Plan, illusts, 54pp, 4to, metal ring binding, original pictorial card covers. Cornwall Archaeological Unit, Truro: c.1996. £8.00
- King (C.J) SOME NOTES ON WILD NATURE IN SCILLONIA. Particularly of Sea-birds and Seals. With 5 plates, 12mo, original printed paper boards. C.J. King & Son, St. Mary's: 1924. £10.00
- Maclean (Sir John) PAROCHIAL AND FAMILY HISTORY OF THE PARISH OF BLISLAND. With plan and 2 plates, lacks the plate of the church, textual illusts, pedigrees, 99 + 2 page list of subscribers, 4to, original cloth gilt, few spots to covers, lacks small portion from head of spine, lacks all before title-page, 2 leaves, which appear to have been inserted from another copy, have marginal tears and these have been crudely repaired, rear inner hinge cracked and weak, glue residue to rear endpapers and to front pastedown, some damage to front pastedown. Nichols and Sons, London: Liddel and Son, Bodmin: 1868. £25.00
- McCabe (Helen) HOUSES AND GARDENS OF CORNWALL. A Personal Choice. Illusts, map, xxi + 162pp, dustwrapper. Tabb House, Padstow: 1988. £8.00
- Mining Institute of Cornwall PROCEEDINGS OF THE MINING INSTITUTE OF CORNWALL. Volume 1. No 8. With 5 plates, vi + pages numbered 221-306, original wraps has portions missing from edges, spine chipped. Lake & Lake, Truro: 1883. £10.00
* Includes chapters on Health of Cornish Miners; Dressing Tin Ores; Stamping Machinery, etc.
- Nance (R. Morton) and Smith (A.S.D) ABRAM HAG YSAL (O.M., lines 1259-1394) Extracts from the Cornish Texts in unified spelling with amended translation No IV. 11pp, original printed wraps. Printed by Wordens, Marazion, c.1960. £4.00
- Nance (R. Morton) CORNISH FOR ALL. A Guide to Unified Cornish. 54pp, original boards, spine partly faded, some darkish discolouration to inner margin of top cover, internally sound. Third Edition, Federation of Old Cornwall Societies, Penzance: c.1958. £6.00
- Old Cornwall OLD CORNWALL MAGAZINE Volume 3, No. 5. Frontis, pages numbered 177-22, complete, original printed card covers, small area rubbed on top wrap. Issued by Federation of Old Cornwall Societies. Summer 1939. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Romance of Cornish Mining; Trefrize and the Holy Wells of All Hallows, etc.
- Rendell (Joan) LAUNCESTON. Some Pages in History. Illusts, 93pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. Landfall Publications, Truro: 1993. £8.00
- Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society. ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY-EIGHTH ANNUAL REPORT of The Royal Cornwall Polytechnic Society 1961. Original wraps, staples slightly rusty, slightly affecting covers. Camborne Printing and Stationery Co., Ltd. 1961. £6.00
* Includes articles:- Cornish China-Clay Industry; Cornish Mammals, etc.
- Royal Geological Society of Cornwall. ROYAL GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF CORNWALL TRANSACTIONS Twenty-Eighth Annual Report.... Papers and Notices. Being volume 6. Part 1. 19 + 49pp, original printed wraps, spine chipped, wraps slightly dusty few marks to wraps. Penzance: Printed by R.D. Rodda, 1841. £10.00
* Includes articles:- Raised Beaches of the Lizard District; Organic Fossil Remains of the South-east Coast of Cornwall, etc.
- Royal Geological Society of Cornwall ROYAL GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF CORNWALL TRANSACTIONS Fifty-First, Fifty-Second, Fifty-Third and Fifty-Fourth Annual Reports of the Council for Volume 9. Four reports, bound in one, as issued, in the original printed wraps, short splits to top wrap at head and foot of spine. W. Cornish, Penzance: 1868 £10.00
- Royal Geological Society of Cornwall ROYAL GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF CORNWALL TRANSACTIONS Volume 16, Part 1. Map, 31pp, original wraps. Penzance: 1928. £6.00
* Articles include:- Lode Trend in Dartmoor Granite; , etc
- Royal Geological Society of Cornwall ROYAL GEOLOGICAL SOCIETY OF CORNWALL TRANSACTIONS Volume 16, Part 5. Plates, (x) + 197-243pp, original wraps. Penzance: 1932. £6.00
* Articles include:- Gneissic Rocks; Rock Basins on the Tors of Cheeswring and Rougtor, etc.
- Royal Institution of Cornwall TWENTY FIRST ANNUAL REPORT OF THE ROYAL INSTITUTION OF CORNWALL. 1839. With 1 plate, folding table, 74pp, original printed wraps, rear wrap chipped and ragged, lacks most of spine. Truro: L.E. Gillet, 1840. £22.00
* Includes articles:- Iron Ore at Perran Consols; Health of Cornish Miners; Preparation of China Clay; Fossil Bones found in Pentewan valley and of the Stream Works now working therein, etc.
- Royal Institution of Cornwall JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL INSTITUTION OF CORNWALL. New Series Volume 2. Part 1. Illusts, 62pp, original printed wraps, short tear to margins of first 25 leaves. Truro: Oscar Blackford, 1953. £7.00
* Includes articles:- Household Accounts at Lanherne; The Dunmoni; John Opie, etc.
- Stanier (Peter) CORNWALL'S MINING HERITAGE. Illusts, maps, diagrams, 47pp, original pictorial card covers. Twelveheads Press, Truro: 1988. £4.00
- Thurlow (Charles) CHINA CLAY Traditional mining methods in Cornwall. Illusts, 32pp, original pictorial card covers. First edition, Tor Mark Press, Penryn: 1990. £4.00
- Todd (Arthur Cecil) THE CORNISH MINER IN AMERICA The Contribution to the Mining History of the United States by emigrant Cornish miners - the men called Cousin Jacks. Plates, 5 maps, 279pp, dustwrapper rubbed to edges, with a couple of tears and some wear to head and foot of spine, small ink note to half-title. First edition, D. Bradford, Barton, Truro: 1967. £16.00
- Trevithick Society THE TREVITHICK SOCIETY NEWSLETTER. No 54. August 1986. Illusts, 4pp, sm folio, stapled. 1986. £4.00
* Includes articles on Geevor; Pumping engine site Nailsea, Somerset, etc.
- Truro Buildings Research Group PYDAR STREET & THE HIGH CROSS AREA. Numerous illusts, 44pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. Revised and reprinted, Truro Buildings Research Group. 1990. £8.00
- Watson (Joseph Yelloly) A COMPENDIUM OF BRITISH MINING, With Statistical Notices of the Principal Mines in Cornwall: To which is added, The History and Uses of Metals, and a Glossary of the Terms and Usages of Mining. iv + 82pp + 2pp list of subscribers, original printed card covers, endpapers partly marked. Originally published in 1843. Reprinted, c.1963. £12.00
- Williams (H.V) CORNWALL'S OLD MINES. Illusts, 46pp, original pictorial card covers, inscription to front endpaper. Tor Mark Press, Truro: c.1973. £4.00
- Young (Bill) and Stamp (Bryan Dudley) STRATTON Past & Present. Illusts, some in colour, 74pp, original pictorial card covers. Bill Young, Bude: 2002 £5.00
A further selection of CORNISH Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Amery (John S) THE ACCOUNTS OF THE RECEIVER OF THE CORPORATION OF TOTNES IN THE YEAR 1554-5. 10pp, lacks lower wrap. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 1880. £4.00
- Berry (Les) and Gosling (Gerald) AROUND EXETER. The Archive Photographs Series. Illusts, 128pp, original pictorial card covers. Chalford Publishing, Stroud: 1996. £6.00
- Bray (Mrs) TRIALS OF THE HEART. Frontis, 304pp, original cloth. New and Revised Edition. London: Chapman and Hall, 1884. £10.00
* Historical novel set in France. Mrs Anna Eliza Bray was the wife of Edward Bray, the vicar of Tavistock.
- Chope (R. Pearse) THE DIALECT OF HARTLAND. 10pp, original printed wraps partly faded. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association, 1891. £6.00
- Cooper (Thomas Henry) A GUIDE CONTAINING A SHORT HISTORICAL SKETCH OF LYNTON, LYNMOUTH, ILFRACOMBE, and other Places Adjacent in North Devon. Lacks map, with double-page pedigree, 5 vignette steel engravings, xvi + 114pp, 12mo, original cloth, covers damp spotted. Barnstaple: T. Hearson, c.1853. £25.00
- Crossing (William) THE ANCIENT STONE CROSSES OF DARTMOOR; and its Borderland. Illustrated by T.A. Falcon. Folding map, 13 illusts on 12 plates, lacks facsimile which is frequently missing, 184pp, original cloth, Dartington Hall stamp to front endpaper. Revised Edition. Exeter: James G. Commin, 1902. £22.00 --- See sample text
* This forms Part 2 of volume 2 of Devon Notes and Queries.
- Daniels (C.H) TOR BAY A Short Description... and Eighteen Fine views. 18 plates, 5pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. C.H. Daniels, Bovey Tracey: c.195- £4.00
- Exeter Diocesan EXETER DIOCESAN ADDITIONAL CURATES SOCIETY. Report Presented Whitsuntide 1876. 16pp, wraps loose and slightly ragged, some spotting mainly to margins. Exeter: William Pollard, 1876. £4.00
- Devon Notes and Queries DEVON NOTES AND QUERIES. Volume 5. Part 5, January 1909. With 5 plates, pages numbered 137-200, original printed wraps. Exeter: James G. Commin, 1909. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Arms of Dartmouth; Granville Family; Prous Family; Wrecks in Bigbury and Start Bay; Heraldry in Exeter Churches, etc.
- Devonshire Association REPORT AND TRANSACTIONS OF THE DEVONSHIRE ASSOCIATION For the Advancement of Science, Literature, and Art. [Tiverton, July, 1919.] Volume 51. Illusts, 283pp, original wraps, top wrap slightly spotty and dusty. Plymouth: W. Brendon and Son. 1919. £14.00
* Includes articles:- Haccombe; Cob cottages; Baptismal Fonts of Devon, etc.
- Devonshire Association REPORT AND TRANSACTIONS OF THE DEVONSHIRE ASSOCIATION.... For the Advancement of Science, Literature, and Art. [Okehampton, July, 1925.] Volume 57. Illusts, 368pp, original wraps, slightly chipped to head and foot of spine.. Plymouth: W. Brendon and Son. 1926. £15.00
* Includes articles:- Totnes Parish Church; Okehampton Grammar School; Devonshire Folk Lore, etc.
- Devonshire Association REPORT AND TRANSACTIONS OF THE DEVONSHIRE ASSOCIATION.... Honiton, 1970. Volume 102. Illusts, xxvii + 304pp, original wraps. Latimer Trend, Plymouth: 1970. £10.00
* Includes articles:- Boundary of Uplyme; Field Patterns on Dartmoor; 19th century Chumleigh, etc.
- Devonshire Association REPORT AND TRANSACTIONS OF THE DEVONSHIRE ASSOCIATION For the Advancement of Science and Literature and Art. Hatherleigh, 1984. Volume 116. Illusts, xxviii + 248pp, original wraps, with 2 small library labels to half-title. Devonshire Press, Torquay: 1984. £10.00
* Includes articles:- Devonshire Farmhouses; Blue Coat School, Tiverton; Manor of Cadeleigh; Incidence of Industrial Conflict in Devon 1860-1900, etc.
- Devonshire Association REPORT AND TRANSACTIONS OF THE DEVONSHIRE ASSOCIATION For the Advancement of Science and Literature and Art. Buckfastleigh 1986. Volume 118. Illusts, xxxii + 288pp, original wraps, top wrap slightly creased. Devonshire Press, Torquay: 1986. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Poor Relief in Chumleigh; Cockfighting in the 18th an 19th centuries; Heaven family of Lundy; Bideford's first Policeman; Goldsmiths and Silversmiths of Plymouth, etc.
- Duncan (Alexander G.) THE LONG BRIDGE OF BIDEFORD and Bideford under the Restored Monarchy. Frontis, 70pp, some damp stains to lower edges of original cloth. Reprinted from Transactions of Devonshire Association, Bideford: 1930. £8.00
- Exeter City Council HISTORIC EXETER. The Ideal Centre for Touring Glorious Devon. Official Guide. Illusts, adverts, 96pp, original pictorial card covers. Exeter: (1949). £5.00
- Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society TRANSACTIONS OF THE EXETER DIOCESAN ARCHITECTURAL SOCIETY. First Series. Volume 7. Part I. With 11 plates, 88pp, 4to, original printed wraps. William Pollard, Exeter: 1844. £15.00
* Includes articles:- Haccombe Church; Compton Castle; Ecclesiastical Edifices of Exeter.
- Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society TRANSACTIONS OF THE EXETER DIOCESAN ARCHITECTURAL SOCIETY. First Series. Volume 6. Part I. With 18 plates, 125pp, 4to, original printed card covers, 4to, spine slightly chipped. Exeter: William Pollard, 1858. £16.00
* Includes articles on Effigies in Devon; Appendix to Monumental Brasses; Restoration of St. Peter's Church, Tiverton; Abbey of Dundrennan in Galloway, etc.
- Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society TRANSACTIONS OF THE EXETER DIOCESAN ARCHITECTURAL SOCIETY. Second Series:- Vol. 5. Part III. Pages numbered 193-255, 4to, original card covers dusty and slightly rubbed. William Pollard, Exeter: 1890. £10.00
* Includes articles:- Medieval Decoration; Basilican and Greek Churches.
- Exeter Museum MUSEUMS ASSOCIATION. EXETER MEETING, 1925. With 12 leaves, each with a photographic illust., tipped on to each leaf, with description beneath, original wraps, held with a ribbon threaded through punched holes and tied in a bow. 1925. £10.00
- Freeman (Rev. E. Vere) LITTLEHAM CHURCH. With 2 plates, pages numbered 86-97, 4to, disbound, pages loose, 2 leaves haves small strip torn from one margin. Extracted from the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society Transactions, 1856. £6.00
- Fulford (Rev.J.L) A FEW REMARKS ON THE STAINED GLASS IN EXETER CATHEDRAL. With 4 large coloured folding plates, pages numbered 133-138, complete, 4to, disbound. Extracted from the Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society Transactions, 1845. £12.00
- Goundry (John A), Rector THE ANCIENT CHURCH OF S. PETROCK. in the United Benefice of s. Mary with S. George, S. John and S. Petrock. Exeter. 1950. Folding plan, 6pp, original wraps. Includes the names of the Rectors. Second edition, Revised and enlarged, 1950. £6.00
- Green (Christina) BEATRICE CHASE My Lady of the Moor. Illusts, 16pp, original pictorial card covers, couple of small areas rubbed to top cover. Daw Printers, Dawlish: 1974. £4.00
- Hall (Tim), collected by FROM HALDON TO MID-DARTMOOR In Old Photographs. Illusts, map, 159pp, original pictorial card covers. Alan Sutton, Stroud: 1990. £5.00
- Harding (Lieutenant-Colonel) A PAPER ON THE CHURCH AND CHANTRY ON THE EXE-BRIDGE. Folding plate, pages numbered 165-172, complete, 4to, disbound. Extracted from the Transactions of The Exeter Diocesan Architectural Society, 1849. £9.00
- Harris (Helen) INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF DARTMOOR. With plates and textual diagrams, 239pp, original cloth, dustwrapper lightly rubbed to edges. First edition, David and Charles, Newton Abbot: 1968. £8.00
- Harris (J. Henry) MY DEVONSHIRE BOOK. "In the Land of Junket and Cream." With 31 plates, 174 + pages of publishers adverts, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges, early ownership name to front endpaper. First edition, Plymouth: Western Morning News, 1907. £18.00
- Hyett (W) A DESCRIPTION OF THE WATERING PLACES On the South-East Coast of Devon, From the River Exe to the Dart inclusive, comprehending Dawlish, Teignmouth, Shaldon, and Torquay. With a Sketch of their Local History.... Embellished with Four Etchings and a Vignette Title. 105pp, sm 8vo, contemporary calf, slightly rubbed, few strips missing from covers, top outer cracked, couple of pages have the imprint of a leaf where it has been placed as a bookmark? ex-lib with small embossed stamp to margins of plates, and stamp to rear endpaper. Exeter: Printed and sold by J. Trewman and Son, High Street. (1803) £80.00
- Joint (Laura) TORQUAY UNITED The first 70 years. Illusts, 96pp, original pictorial card covers. Obelisk Publications, Exeter: 1991. £10.00
* Presentation inscription signed by the author, and others.
- Jones (Winslow) (Maior Parys') GIFT OF VESTMENTS TO THE CHURCH OF ST. PETROCK, Exeter. 10pp, sm.8vo. Reprinted from 'Notes and Gleanings' William Pollard, Exeter: 1890. £7.00
- Lamplugh (Lois) BARNSTAPLE Town on the Taw. Plates, textual illusts, xv + 174pp, roy 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Second edition revised, Phillimore, Chichester: 2002. £10.00
- Lega-Weekes (Ethel) THE CHURCHWARDENS' ACCOUNTS OF SOUTH TAWTON. Parts 1, 2, and 4 only of 4, parts 1 and 4 have the original wraps, part 2 lacks wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 1906, 1907, 1909. £10.00
- Northy (T.J) ILLUSTRATED POPULAR HISTORY OF EXETER, From the earliest times down to the day of publication. Illusts, x + 215 + 16pp of adverts, original cloth, very slightly rubbed to edges. Exeter: James G. Commin, 1886. £25.00
- Passmore (Dick) THE STORY OF THE THEATRE ROYAL EXETER. Illusts, 118pp, folio, original pictorial boards. Signed by the author on the title-page. The Mint Press, Exeter: 2002. £10.00
- Pevsner (Nikolaus) and Cherry (Bridget) DEVON. The Buildings of England. Maps, diagrams, plates, 976pp, dustwrapper. Second edition, extensively revised, Penguin Books, 1989. £20.00
- Pike (John) and Torquay Natural History Society PAIGNTON. The Archive Photographs Series. Illusts, 128pp, original pictorial card covers. Chalford Publishing Co., 1997. £8.00
- Pollard (Sheila H.M) A ROMANO-BRITISH AND POST MEDIEVAL ROAD AT HONEYDITCHES SEATON. Plates, folding diagram, pages numbered 222-226, complete, original card covers. Reprinted from the Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society, 1970. £4.00
- Polwhele (Rev. R) THE HISTORY OF DEVONSHIRE. Volume 2 of 3 only. With illusts, 46 + 382 + (1)pp, folio, small water stain to foot of dustwrapper. Originally published Exeter: 1793-1806. Reprinted, Kohler and Coombes, Dorking: 1977. £35.00
- Prosser (Tim) THE LYNMOUTH FLOOD DISASTER. Illusts, plan, 96pp, original pictorial covers, crease to top corner of rear cover. Lyndale Photographic, Lynmouth: 2001. £4.00
- Radford (Cecily) EARLY DRAMA IN EXETER. Pages numbered 361-370, original wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 1935. £4.00
- Ravenhill (Mary R) and Rowe (Margery M) DEVON MAPS AND MAP-MAKERS: Manuscript Maps Before 1840. With 16 coloured plates, 2 sketch maps, 2 volumes, xi + 214pp, and 215-433pp, original card covers, the 2 volumes contained within the original slip-case. Devon and Cornwall Record Society. New Series, Volume 43. Exeter: 2002. £40.00
- Reform Conference WESTERN COUNTIES LOCAL GOVERNMENT AND LAND LAW REFORM CONFERENCE at Plymouth, September 17th, 1885. A Verbatim Report of the Speeches. 28pp, original top wrap, lacks spine and rear wrap. Reprinted from "Western Daily Mercury", 1885. £10.00
- Reichel (Rev. Oswald J) THE HUNDREDS OF SOUTH MOLTON AND ROBOROUGH IN EARLY TIMES. The Devonshire Association. 68pp, original printed wraps. Exeter: Southwoods (Exeter), Ltd. 1930. £18.00
- Reichel (Rev. Oswald J), editor DEVON FEET OF FINES. Volume 1. Richard I. to Henry III. 1196-1272. xiv + 437pp, untrimmed, and shaken in later rubbed, bruised and unlettered cloth, inner hinges pulled. Occasional interesting neat ink and pencil marginalia, approx. 8 leaves partly discoloured where old newscuttings were once inserted. Devon and Cornwall Record Society. Exeter: 1912. £25.00
- Reynolds (Herbert) A SHORT HISTORY OF THE ANCIENT DIOCESE OF EXETER. From the Conquest to the Church Congress of 1894. With Appendix. xi + 458pp + xxvii, original cloth, partly faded, ex-lib. with stamp to verso of title-page, and residue of label to front pastedown. Exeter: H. Besley, 1895. £12.00
- Robinson (Chris) HARVEST HOME and a hundred other PUBS OF PLYMOUTH PAST & PRESENT. Illusts, maps, 101pp + (15)pp index, original pictorial card covers. Signed by the author on the title-page. Pen & Ink Publishing, Plymouth: 1996. £8.00
- Robinson (Chris) VICTORIAN PLYMOUTH Illustrated As Time Draws On. Illusts, map, xiii + 210pp, oblong 4to, dustwrapper. Pen and Ink Publishing, Plymouth: 1991. £8.00
- Robinson (R.E.R) THE BLOODY ELEVENTH History of the Devonshire Regiment. Volume I: 1685-1815. Maps, plans, illusts, coloured plates, xv + 719pp, dustwrapper. The Devonshire and Dorset Regiment, Exeter: 1988. £25.00
- Sambourne (R.C) EXETER A Century of Public Transport. Plates, maps, 104pp, 4to, slightly faded dustwrapper. Glasney Press, Falmouth: 1976. £12.00
- Sandford (E.G), editor MEMOIRS OF ARCHBISHOP TEMPLE by Seven Friends. 2 volumes, xvi + (4) + 611pp and xi + (4) + 743pp, qtr calf, cloth boards, spine slightly faded, ex-ref.lib. label to front pastedowns, and 2 stamps, occasional foxing, label with number taped to base of spine, ink note to verso of one half-title. MacMillan & Co., London: 1906. £10.00
* Frederick Temple went to Blundell's School, and after Oxford iniversiry, he taught at Rugby. He was then asked by Gladstone to take on the bishopric of Exeter from 1869 to 1896, after which he accepted the see of Canterbury, where his son succeded him.
- Shelly (John), editor EIGHTH REPORT OF THE COMMITTEE OF WORKS OF ART IN DEVONSHIRE. 10pp, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association, 1887. £4.00
- Simmons (Jack), editor A DEVON ANTHOLOGY. 285pp, couple of short tears to dustwrapper. Macmillan, London: 1971. £6.00
* Numerous extracts from works by Risdon, Rowse, Williamson, Torr, Gosse etc., etc.
- Stebbing (T.R.R) SESSILE-EYED CRUSTACEA OF DEVONSHIRE. Supplement List. 8pp, wraps loose and top wrap chipped to edges.. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Devonshire Association. 1879. £4.00
- Stonehouse Living History Group EAST STONEHOUSE A Pictorial Record. Illusts, 28pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers. c.1998 £6.00
- Thomas (Peter) EXETER Yesterday & Today. Illusts, 159pp, original pictorial card covers. Sutton Publishing, Stroud: 2000. £5.00
- Thompson (W. Harding) DEVON, a Survey of its Coasts, Moors & Rivers, with some Suggestions for their Preservation. With 44 plates, 6 coloured folding maps, 3 textual illusts, xx + 144pp, 4to, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper. University of London Press Ltd. 1932. £15.00
- Tichmarsh (P.A) THE BEST OF SOUTH EAST DEVON. A guide with map and photographs. The Jarrold 'White Horse' Series. Large coloured folding map, surrounded with photographs and descriptions of places indicated on the map, original pictorial card covers. Jarrold & Sons Ltd., Norwich: 1971. £4.00
- Torr (C) SMALL TALK AT WREYLAND. Second Series. 120 + 4 pages of publishers adverts, untrimmed in the original qtr buckram paper boards, corners of boards rubbed, some foxing to prelims. First edition, Cambridge at the University Press, 1921. £8.00
* 'Wreyland is land by the Wrey.... The Wrey flows into the Bovey, and the Bovey into the Teign.... The land is on the east side of the Wrey, just opposite the village of Lustleigh.' Preface.
- Tunnicliff (W) A TOPOGRAPHICAL SURVEY OF THE COUNTIES.... the DEVON section. Lacks the map and the double-page index table of distances. With 8 engraved pages of coats of arms, and pages numbered 163-216, text complete. Disbound, 1 leaf of text, and the pages of the coats of arms loose. Salisbury: Printed for the Author by B.C. Collins, 1791. £10.00
* Extracted from a larger work. Includes:- 'Travelling Index to the Great Roads in Devonshire', and a list of the 'Principal Nobility and Gentry in the County of Devon.'
- Wheeleker (Susannah) and Eyles (Sarah) POOR RELIEF IN DEVON. 38pp, original pictorial card covers. Devonshire Association, Exeter: 1991. £4.00
- Wood (Edwin) THIRTY WALKS AROUND ILFRACOMBE. Maps, 32pp, sm 8vo, original printed wraps. North Devon Printing Works, Ilfracombe: c.1956. £4.00
- Worth (R. Hansford) DARTMOOR. Compiled from the author's published works and edited by G.M. Spooner & F.S. Russell. Numerous photographic plates & diagrams, 523pp, xiv + (2) + 523pp, original cloth lightly rubbed. Second impression, Published by the Executors of the late Richard Hansford Worth Plymouth: 1954. £15.00
- Worth (R.N) TOURIST'S GUIDE TO SOUTH DEVON: Rail, Road, River, Coast and Moor. With Map and Plan. 135pp + 32pp [adverts], sm 8vo, original cloth, slightly shaken, inner hinges cracked, short tear to map. Fourth Edition, London: Edward Stanford, 1886. £14.00
A further selection of DEVON Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Ashley (Harry) EXPLORE DORSET Its Coast, Countryside and Heritage. With photographs by David Golumb. Illusts, 104pp, original printed card covers. Second edition, Countryside Books, Newbury: 1988. £4.00
- Beckles (Gordon) THE BRIDPORT STORY A Record of 700 Years 1253 - 1953. Illusts, map endpapers, 64pp, tall 8vo, dustwrapper, few spots to prelims. Bridport: c.1953. £7.00
- Benfield (Eric) THE TOWN OF MAIDEN CASTLE. Illusts, 70pp, original cloth, lacks dustwrapper. Robert Hale, London: 1947. £4.00
- Benolte (Thomas), edited by Sir Geo. J. Armytage PEDIGREES FROM THE VISITATION OF DORCHESTER 1531. [Reprinted from "Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica."] Textual heraldic illusts, 11pp, original printed wraps, tape on spine, wraps ragged, title and rear leaf browned, inner margins of most leaves partly split, occasional crayon note and underlining. London: Mitchell Hughes and Clarke, 1906. £10.00
- Braye (John), editor SWANAGE (Isle of Purbeck) Its History, Resources as an Invigorating Health Resort, Botany and Geology. Lacks folding map of Purbeck, with a double-page geological map of Swanage, 13 plates and textual illusts, 119pp, disbound, ex-ref. lib with stamp to title-page. London: William Henry Everett * Son, 1890. £12.00
- Cox (A.C) INDEX TO THE DORSET COUNTY RECORDS. 112pp, original printed card covers, covers partly faded. Longmans (Dorchester) Ltd., May 1938. £4.00
- Dorchester Borough Council DORCHESTER. Dorset. Official Guide. Folding plan, illusts, adverts, maps, 107pp, 12mo, original pictorial wraps. The Friary Press, Dorchester: c.1962. £4.00
- Dorset Charities ABSTRACT OF THE RETURNS OF CHARITABLE DONATIONS for the Benefit of Poor Persons, Made by the Ministers and Churchwardens of the Several Parishes and Townships in England and Wales. 1786 - 1788. The Dorset section, folio, loose and unbound, 36pp. Ruled in columns:- Name of Hundred, Names of the Persons who Gave the Charity, When Given, Whether by Will or Deed, Description of the Charity, and for what Purpose given, Whether in Land or Money, In Whom Now Vested, Gross Amount, Annual Produce of the Money, Clear Annual Produce of that given in Land, and Observations. 1816. £25.00
* Not in Mayo's Bibliotheca Dorsetiensis.
- Farr (Grahame) WRECK AND RESCUE ON THE COAST OF DORSET. The Story of the Dorset Lifeboats. Illusts, 136pp, few light spots to rear of dustwrapper. D. Bradford Barton, Truro: 1971. £10.00
- Good (Ronald) WEYLAND. THE STORY OF WEYMOUTH AND ITS COUNTRYSIDE. With illustrations by the author. 116pp, roy 8vo, original wraps. Second Edition. Dorchester: Longmans of Dorchester, The Friary Press, 1946. £10.00
- Hill (Shelagh) THE BOOK OF YETMINSTER A Changing Village. Numerous illusts, 160pp, 4to, dustwrapper, private bookplate to front pastedown. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 2005. £16.00
- Hodges (Michael A) PREPARED FOR BATTLE. Some details of forts and fights in and near Christchurch over the last three millenia. Maps, diagrams, 78pp, original pictorial card covers. Revised, Christchurch Printing Co. Ltd., 1982. £8.00
- March (Rosemary March) SHERBORNE CASTLE. Coloured and black and white illusts, 48pp, original pictorial card covers. Sherborne Castle Estates, 1979. £7.00
- McQueen (Ian) BOURNEMOUTH ST. PETER'S Illusts, 290pp, short tear to dustwrapper. Dorset Publishing Company, Sherborne: 1971. £6.00
- Miles (William Augustus) A DESCRIPTION OF THE DEVEREL BARROW, Opened A.D. 1825. Also a Minute Account of the KIMMERIDGE COAL MONEY, A Most Mysterious and Nondescript Article. With two engraved and one printed title, and 8 engraved plates, viii + (3)-53pp, in the original paper boards, boards rubbed, affecting lettering on top board, portions missing from spine, water stain to top portion of top margin of frontis, endpapers spotty, otherwise clean. Cockers, Printers, Frome: 1826. £40.00 --- See sample text
- Peters (John), Colling (David and Ridley (Michael) BOURNEMOUTH THEN AND NOW. Numerous illusts, 224pp, dustwrapper. First edition, Blandford Press, Pool: 1978. £10.00
- Phillips (John) ON A FOSSIL FRUIT FOUND IN THE UPPER PART OF THE WEALDEN DEPOSITS IN SWANAGE BAY, Isle of Purbeck. Frontis, title and 3pp, disbound, frontis loose, stamp to verso of frontis. Reprinted from the Quarterly Journal of the Geological Society, 1859. £8.00
- Trades' Directory, Ltd, publisher SOUTH-WESTERN COUNTIES OF ENGLAND TRADES' DIRECTORY 1958 - 59. The DORSET SECTION only. 28pp, recent cloth, ex-ref. lib. with label to front pastedown and stamp to title-page. Trades Directories Limited, Manchester: 1959. £5.00
- Underhill (Marjory) DORSET HODMADODS (Scarecrows) 10 woodcut illusts, 24pp, including original pictorial wraps, sm 8vo, staples rusty, and wraps loose. Carey Studios, Wareham: (1950) £4.00
- Wareham Guide Committee compiled by AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO THE ANCIENT TOWN OF WAREHAM, Containing: 25 Photographic Reproductions and Descriptive Letterpress of its General History, Geology, Churches, Earthen Ramparts, Flowers, Sports and Pastimes. Etc. Illusts, adverts, 50pp, original printed boards, ex-lib. recent cloth spine, retaining endpapers, corners of boards slightly rubbed, small mark to foot of top board where label removed?, small stamp to front endpaper. Bournemouth: Wareham Guide Committee, c.1900. £15.00
A further selection of DORSET Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Amphlett (P.W) DODINGTON. The Gloucestershire Seat of the Codrington Family. Coloured illusts, plan, 32pp, original pictorial card covers. Photo Precision, St. Ives: c.1975. £5.00
- Baddeley (St. Clair) EBBWORTH MANOR. Pages numbered 245-252, complete, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1929. £4.00
- Bigland (Ralph) ADLESTROP. Extracted from Bigland's Historical, Monumental and Genealogical Collections Relative to Gloucestershire. 6pp, folio, recent paper wraps. First edition, London: Printed by John Nichols for Ralph Bigland, 1791. £4.00
- Bigland (Ralph) ASHELWORTH AND ASTON BLANK, or COLD ASTON AND ASHTON, or COLD ASHTON. Extracted from Bigland's Historical, Monumental and Genealogical Collections Relative to Gloucestershire. 10pp, folio, recent paper wraps. First edition, London: Printed by John Nichols for Ralph Bigland, 1791. £5.00
- Bigland (Ralph) BOURTON ON THE WATER. Extracted from Bigland's Historical, Monumental and Genealogical Collections Relative to Gloucestershire. Copper plate engraving in the text, 4pp, folio, recent paper wraps. First edition, London: Printed by John Nichols for Ralph Bigland, 1791. £6.00
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, edited by Roland Austin TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1937. Volume 59. Illusts, folding maps, v + 369 + 23pp, original wraps, light stain to foot of spine, internally sound. Gloucester: Printed for the Society by John Bellows, 1938. £16.00
* Includes articles:- Gloucestershire in the Pipe Rolls; Ancient Woodland in Gloucestershire; Wick Rissington; George Whitefield's Ancestry; Earthworks at Rodborough; Burnett in Somerset, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, edited by H.S. Gracie TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1964. Volume 83. Illusts, 199pp, roy 8vo, original wraps, slight crease to top cover. Cheltenham: Printed for the Society by John Bellows, 1965. £6.00
* Includes articles:- Enclosures at Crickley Hill; Deerhurst Priory Church; River Twyver and Fullbrook; Jerninghams of Painswick; Milestones of the Stroud District; Royce Collection at Stow on the Wold, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY FOR 1982. Volume 100. Illusts, 282pp, roy 8vo, original wraps. Gloucester: 1982. £7.00
* Includes articles:- Birdlip Cemetery; Excavations of a Romano-British settlement at Barnsley Park; Early Policing Methods in Gloucestershire, etc.
- Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, compiled by Susan Vaughan TRANSACTIONS OF THE BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY - GENERAL INDEX to Volumes 111-120 (1993-2002). 101pp, original printed wraps. Printed for the Society. £4.00
- Cook (G.H) THE STORY OF GLOUCESTER CATHEDRAL. With 41 photos., and 2 plans, 16 pages of text, original decorative paper boards. First edition, Phoenix House, London: 1952. £6.00
- Darvill (Timothy) PREHISTORIC GLOUCESTERSHIRE. Illusts, diagrams, plans, viii + 216pp, original decorative card covers. Alan Sutton and Gloucestershire County Library, 1987. £7.00
- Dobell (C.M) MEMOIRS OF OLD CHARLTON KINGS. A Series of Short Papers Written For the Charlton Kings Parish Magazine. Original printed boards, 57pp. Norman, Sawyer and Co., Cheltenham: 1898. £25.00
- Evans (Herbert A) GLOUCESTERSHIRE Cambridge County Geographies. Coloured map endpapers, diagrams, illustrations, 155pp, 12mo, original cloth. First edition, Cambridge at the University Press: 1909. £4.00
- Finberg (H.P.R) GLOUCESTERSHIRE. An Illustrated Essay On The History Of The Landscape. With illustrations and sketch maps, 128pp, dustwrapper has a few short tears to rear wrap. London: Hodder and Stoughton, 1955. £8.00
- Fuller (Rev. E.A) MEDIEVAL CIRENCESTER. Pages numbered 107-115, complete, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1932. £4.00
- Gethyn-Jones (Rev. J.E) DYMOCK. A History of the Church and Parish. Plates, 16pp, original printed wraps. Reprint, Castle Press, Berkeley: 1976. £4.00
- Gilbert (Edward) A GUIDE TO THE PRIORY CHURCH AND SAXON CHAPEL DEERHURST, GLOUCESTERSHIRE. Plates, plan, 12pp, 12mo, original pictorial card covers. Reprinted with additional illustrations, Newman, Printer, Tewkesbury: 1958. £4.00
- Harris (Mollie), photos. by Sue Chapman COTSWOLD PRIVIES. Illusts. 79pp, original pictorial laminated covers. First edition, Chatto & Windus, London: 1984. £6.00
- Holbrook (Neil) and Jurica (John) TWENTY-FIVE YEARS OF ARCHAEOLOGY IN GLOUCESTERSHIRE. A Review of New Discoveries and New Thinking in Gloucestershire South Gloucestershire and Bristol 1979-2004. Diagrams, plans, maps, vii + 265pp, 4to, original card covers. Cotswold Archaeological Trust, 2006. £5.00
- Le Gendre Starkie˙(Mrs James ) GAULDEN MANOR Tolland, Nr. Taunton, Somerset. Historic Manor House of the Turberville and Wolcott families and now the home of Mr and Mrs James Le Gendre Starkie. Official Guide. Illusts, 12pp, oblong 8vo, original pictoral card covers. English Life Publications, Stoke on Trent: 1972. £4.00
- Lewis (June R) THE COTSWOLDS AT WAR. x + 237pp, dustwrapper, inscription on half-title. Sutton Publishing Ltd., Stroud: 1992. £8.00
- Lloyd-Baker (Lt. Col. A.B), edited by Joyce Popplewell A GLOUCESTERSHIRE DIARIST Lt. Col. A.B. Lloyd-Baker of Hardwicke Court Illusts, pedigree, 156pp, original pictorial card covers, signed presentation inscription by Popplewell to verso of top cover. Thornhill Press, 1993. £7.00
- Masters (Brian) and Pollock (Adam) SUDELEY CASTLE. Illusts, plans, 32pp, covers spotty, original pictorial card covers. Printed by Balding & Mansell, London: 1970. £4.00
- Moir (Esther) LOCAL GOVERNMENT IN GLOUCESTERSHIRE 1775-1800. A Study of the Justices of the Peace. xvi + 192pp, original cloth. Printed for the Records Section of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society (1969) £12.00
- Pagan (Hugh) OWLPEN MANOR Gloucestershire. Illusts, 24pp, 12mo, original printed card covers, spots to margin of one plate. Revised edition, Clarke, Doble, & Brendon, Plymouth: 1975. £4.00
- Peter (Francis) BERKELEY CASTLE An Illustrated Survey of the Gloucestershire Home of the Berkeley Family. Plan, maps, coloured and black and white illusts, 30pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. English Life Publications, Derby: c.1970. £4.00
- Radford (C.A. Ralegh) BELAS KNAP LONG BARROW. Pages numbered 295-299, complete, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1930. £4.00
- Richardson (L) A HANDBOOK TO THE GEOLOGY OF CHELTENHAM and Neighbourhood. Illusts, xii + 303pp, original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, and pulled to head of spine, large folding map in pocket at rear, few tears and splits crudely repaired to verso, tipped onto last free endpaper is a small envelope which contains some relevant news cuttings. First edition, Cheltenham: Norman Sawyer and Co., 1904. £25.00
- Rushworth (G. McNeil) WARKWORTH. Pages numbered 265-274, complete, original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Transactions of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society, 1930. £4.00
- Smith (D.J) THE GREAT PAVEMENT AND ROMAN VILLA at Woodchester Gloucestershire. Illusts, 10pp + (12) pages of adverts, few spots to the original pictorial card covers. Woodchester Roman Pavement Committee. 1973. £4.00
- Sturge Gretton (M) A CORNER OF THE COTSWOLDS. Through the Nineteenth Century. With Twelve Illustrations. ix + 289pp, original cloth, front inner hinge tender. First edition, 1914. £10.00
* 'The country I write of.... in the main it is the tableland between the Coln and the Evenlode.... '
- Witts (Rev. (F.E) THE DIARY OF A COTSWOLD PARSON. 1783-1854. Chosen, Edited and Introduced by David Verey. Plates, 189pp, dustwrapper. First edition, 1978, Alan Sutton, Dursley: 1978. £8.00
A further selection of GLOUCESTERSHIRE Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Addison (Peter) AROUND COMBE DOWN. Illusts, maps, 152pp, original pictorial card covers. Millstream Books, Bath: 1998. £6.00
- Bailey (Derrick Sherwin) WELLS CATHEDRAL CHAPTER ACT BOOK 1666-83. xlv + 120pp, original cloth, ex-lib with residue of small label to front endpaper and stamp to verso of title-page. Somerset Record Society. Volume 72. Printed for Subscribers. 1973. £4.00
- Binding (Hilary) and Stevens (Douglas) THE BOOK OF MINEHEAD With Alcombe. Illusts, 160pp, dustwrapper. Halsgrove, Tiverton: 2000. £12.00
- Bristol Exploration Club BELFRY BULLETIN The Journal of the Bristol Exploration Club. Volume 50. No 12. Number 505. Illusts, diagrams, 49pp, small folio, in original printed wraps. The Bristol Exploration Club, December, 1999. £6.00
* Includes articles:- Caving in Burrington in the 1960's; Stock's House Shaft, Chewton Minery; Lost Caves of Mendip, etc.
- Britton (John), and Peach (R.E.M) THE HISTORY AND ANTIQUITIES OF BATH ABBEY CHURCH. Continued to the Present Time, with Additional Notes by R.E.M. Peach. With Six Illustrations. xix + 107pp, later half calf, cloth sides, marbled endpapers, top outer hinge partly cracked, few spots and small water stain to outer edge of frontis. Charles Hallett, Bath: 1887. £28.00
- Bush (R.J) and Corbett (G.U.S) NETTLECOMBE COURT I. The Trevelyans and other residents at the court. II. The Buildings. Folding plan, folding pedigree, plates, pages numbered 275-287, few small spots to original card covers. Reprinted (with corrections) from Field Studies, 1970. £8.00
- Coles (J.M) and Orme (B.J) PREHISTORY OF THE SOMERSET LEVELS. Illusts, diagrams, 64pp, original pictorial card covers. Somerset Levels Project, 1980. £7.00
- Coysh (A.W), Mason (E.J) and Waite (V) THE MENDIPS. With 25 plates, line drawings, x + 232pp, name on front endpaper, few short tears to dustwrapper which is protected with a plastic sleeve. Second edition, Robert Hale, London: 1962. £8.00
- Dan'l Grainger (David J. Gass) MORE DOWN=ALONG TALKS By "Dan'l Grainger". Somerset Folk Series No 24. Frontis, 48 +pp, 12mo, original printed wraps, 2 leaves slightly ragged, presumably where carelessly opened. London: Folk Press, 1926. £4.00
- Elton (Arthur & Margaret) CLEVEDON COURT Avon. Plan, plates, 32pp, original printed card covers. Revised edition, The National Trust, 1974. £4.00
- [Goldsworthy (E.F)] RECOLLECTIONS OF TAUNTON. by An Old Tauntonian. 62 + (2)pp, disbound. Second Edition: Barnicott and Son, Taunton: 1883. £12.00
- Grinsell (L.V) PREHISTORIC SITES IN THE QUANTOCK COUNTRY. Map, illusts, plans, 25pp, original pictorial card covers. Somerset Archaeological and Natural History Society, 1976. £4.00
- H.M.S.O. CENSUS 1971. ENGLAND AND WALES, ADVANCE ANALYSIS. Somerset. 19pp, small folio. H.M.S.O. London: 1972. £4.00
- Hasler (Joan), editor WOOKEY MANOR AND PARISH 1544-1841. Folding map in pocket at rear, xvi + 228pp, original cloth. Somerset Record Society, Volume 83. Taunton: 1995. £12.00
- Hawkins (Desmond) AVALON AND SEDGEMOOR. Plates, double-page map, 262pp, dustwrapper. First edition, David & Charles, Newton Abbot: 1973. £6.00
- Holburne of Menstrie Museum THE HOLBURNE OF MENSTRIE MUSEUM. Catalogue. Part I Pictures. Plates, 55pp, original printed card covers, price in ink to top cover. Second edition, Holburne of Menstrie Museum, Bath: 1936. £8.00
- Ilchester REPORT ON THE CORPORATION OF ILCHESTER. (Somersetshire.) Title and pages numbered 1288-1201, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound. House of Commons, London: (1835) £12.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Jennings (James) THE DIALECT OF THE WEST OF ENGLAND. Particularly Somersetshire; With a Glossary of words now in use there; also with poems and other pieces exemplifying the dialect. Second Edition, The Whole Revised, Corrected and Enlarged, With Two Dissertations on the Anglo-Saxon Pronouns and other Pieces by James Knight Jennings. xxiv + 167pp, 12mo, original cloth, slightly shaken and rubbed to edges, the first 10 leaves have been crudely cellotaped in, and are proud of the binding. Second Edition, London : John Russell Smith. 1869. £20.00
- Kenworthy-Browne. and others DYRHAM PARK. Gloucestershire. Plan, pedigree, 64pp, tall 8vo, original pictorial card covers. First edition, The National Trust, 1981. £5.00
- Langport Eastover REPORT ON THE CORPORATION OF LANGPORT EASTOVER. (Somersetshire.) Title and pages numbered 1293-1299, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound. House of Commons, London: (1835) £14.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Little (J. Raymond) SKETCHES OF GEORGIAN BATH. With a Preface by T. Sturge Cotterell. With 28 illusts facing page of descriptive text, roy 8vo, original cloth, small mark to spine, with the original paper label on top board. Arrowsmith, Bristol: 1932. £12.00
- Littlewood (W.E), Vicar of St. James', Bath A MONTH IN THE UNITED STATES. A Lecture Delivered at the Grand Pump-Room, Bath, on Monday Oct. 4th, 1875. 20pp, disbound, lacks wraps, some foxing. Printed at the Gazette Office, Bath: 1875. £8.00
- Mathias (Michael), Hector (Derek) GLASTONBURY. Illusts, plan, 48pp, original pictorial laminated boards, few light spots to prelims. David & Charles, Newton Abbot: 1979. £5.00
- Musgrave (E.T) and Luttrell (Lt. Col. Walter) DUNSTER CASTLE An Illustrated Survey of the Historic Somerset Home of the Luttrell Family. Plan, maps, coloured and black and white illusts, 31pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. English Life Publications, Derby: 1970. £4.00
- Nott (Anthony) and Hasler (Joan), editor WELLS CONVOCATION ACTS BOOKS 1589-1665. Part 1: 1589-1629. 491pp, original cloth. Somerset Record Society, Volume 90. Taunton: 2004. £12.00
- Oakhill & Ashwick Local History Group OAKHILL & ASHWICK some of our memories and old photographs. Illusts, 56pp, original pictorial card covers. Oakhill & Ashwick Local History Group, (2005) £8.00
- Parson Woodforde Society PARSON WOODFORDE SOCIETY QUARTERLY JOURNAL. Volume 6, No 1. Spring 1973. Illusts, 69pp, original card covers, pages have small area trimmed to head and foot of inner margins. Parson Woodforde Society, Spring, 1973. £5.00
* Mainly concerns Samuel Woodforde R.A., artist, who was born at Castle Cary and nephew of James Woodforde the diarist.
- Porter (H.M) THE CELTIC CHURCH IN SOMERSET With a Chapter on North Devon. Map endpapers, 146pp, dustwrapper protected with a transparent plastic cover. First edition, Bath: Morgan Books, 1971. £8.00
- Ralegh Radford (C.A), Rahtz (P.A), and others A GLASTONBURY CHURCH BOOK. Adverts, 32pp, original pictorial card covers. E.C. Helliker, printers, Glastonbury, 1970 £4.00
- Raymond (Stuart) SOMERSET A Genealogical Bibliography. 107pp, original printed card covers. Federation of Family History Societies, Birmingham: 1991 £4.00
- Reid (R.D) SOME BUILDINGS OF MENDIP. Double-page map, illusts, 67pp, original pictorial card covers. Mendip Society, 1979. £4.00
- Rutter (John) DELINEATIONS OF THE NORTH WESTERN DIVISION OF THE COUNTY OF SOMERSET. And of its Antediluvian Bone Caverns, with A Geological Sketch of the District. Illustrated with 12 engraved and lithographed plates, folding coloured map, vignettes, 349pp, early half calf, leather label, marbled boards, and endpapers, top hinge almost broken, rubbed, usual occasional foxing. Printed and Published by the Author, Shaftesbury: Longman, Rees and Co., London: 1829. £40.00
- Somersetshire Archaeological Society SOMERSETSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY VOLUME 45. Proceedings for the year 1899. Illusts, viii + 218 + 8pp, original cloth. Taunton: Barnicott and Pearce, 1899. £20.00
* Includes articles:- Mudford and its Church; Brook of Somerset and Devon; Descent of the Manor of Allerton, etc.
- Somersetshire Archaeological Society SOMERSETSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY. Volume 110. Proceedings during 1965-66. Illusts, 138 + 57-69pp, original card covers. Taunton: 1966. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Cheddar Vicarage; Ilchester Election 1646; Badgers in Somerset; City Walls of Bath, etc.
- Somersetshire Archaeological Society PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOMERSET ARCHAEOLOGY AND NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY Volume 128, 1984. Illusts, 141pp, original card covers. Taunton: 1985. £8.00
* Includes articles:- Duck Decoys in Somerset; Glaston Twelve Hides; Taunton Fair in the 17th century; Tracebridge, Stawley, etc.
- Somerset Year Book, edited by H.W. Fortescue Long SOMERSET YEAR BOOK. 1939. No XXXVIII (38). Illusts, adverts, 133pp, original printed wraps, rear wrap partly water stained, affecting last few leaves, top wrap partly torn and crudely repaired. Society of Somerset Folk, 1939. £5.00
* Includes articles:- Bath Assembly Rooms; Mells; St. Mary Redcliffe, Bristol; Aquae Sulis; Vale of Croscombe; Oak-Apple Day in Somerset; William Smith, Geologist, etc.
- Stevens Cox (J) AN ILCHESTER MISCELLANY.. Ilchester Historical Monograph, No 10. Illusts pages numbered 215-267, sm 8vo, original wraps. This is just 1 of 10 monographs which Cox issued, combined they formed 'A History of Ilchester'. This copy contains the prelims to the 'History.' Published by the Author, Ilchester: 1958. £12.00
- Tomalin (D.J) WOODSPRING PRIORY Somerset. Illusts, plans, 24pp, original pictorial card covers. First edition, The Landmark Trust, 1974. £4.00
- University of Bristol Extra-Mural Studies SOMERSET HISTORICAL STUDIES. 83pp, small 4to, original wraps, Bristol University label to verso of top wrap, and signs where another removed. University of Bristol Department of Extra-Mural Studies, 1969. £8.00
* Subjects include:- Gawbridge Mill, Kingsbury Episcopi; Agriculture at Langford Budville; Somerset Mills; Mayors of Taunton 1677-1700; William Hook of Crowcombe, Parish Constable; Medical Practice in Eighteenth Century Wells, etc.
- Wadmore (Rev. J.A.W) SUPPLEMENT TO THE BARROW GURNEY HISTORY. With 2 plates, 39 + 34pp index which covers the both parts, original wraps. Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society. J.W. Arrowsmith, Bristol: 1902. £10.00
* Five leaves of the index are duplicated.
- Watson (Walter) THE LICHENS OF SOMERSET. 94pp, original wraps. Taunton: Somersetshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, 1930. £14.00
- Webb (Adrian James) TWO SEVENTEENTH CENTURY SOMERSET FREEHOLDERS LISTS. viii + 46pp, original card covers. Harry Galloway, Weston-super-Mare: 1999. £8.00
- Woodhams (Dowman), printer and publisher THE TWENTIETH CENTURY GUIDE to the Cathedral Church at ST. ANDREW, AT WELLS, the City, and Neigbourhood. Illusts, 68pp, 12mo, loose in the original printed card covers are covered with a transparent plastic, private label to top cover, front endpaper, later titled label on spine, old cellotape stains to front end rear inner hinges. Dowman Woodhams, Printed and Publisher, Wells: 1900. £6.00
A further selection of SOMERSET Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Atkinson (R.J.C) STONEHENGE AND AVEBURY and Neighbouring Monuments, an Illustrated Guide. Plates, diagrams, 64pp, 12mo, original pictorial card covers. H.M.S.O. London: 1959. £4.00
- Beckinsale (R.P), editor THE TROWBRIDGE WOOLLEN INDUSTRY As Illustrated by The Stock Books of John and Thomas Clark 1804 - 1824. With 2 plates, xxxv + 249pp, original cloth. Impression of 350 Copies. First edition, Wiltshire Records Branch Volume 6. Devizes: 1951. £16.00
- Bowood House DETAILS OF THE BOWOOD PICTURE COLLECTION in the Orangery and Chapel. 12pp, original printed card covers, ink note to rear cover. Taylor & Sons, Minety: c.1980. £5.00
- Burnett (David) SALISBURY: The History of an English Cathedral City. Illusts, 91 + (iii)pp, roy 8vo, dustwrapper. Compton Press, Tisbury: (1978) £6.00
- Bushell (T.L) THE SAGE OF SALISBURY: THOMAS CHUBB 1679 - 1747. Frontis, 159pp, loose plastic cover to dustwrapper, ex-lib., with label to front endpaper, and stamp to title-page, number to foot of dustwrapper. London: Vision, 1967. £4.00
- Calne REPORT ON THE BOROUGH OF CALNE, (Wiltshire.) Title and pages numbered 1230-1234, complete, extracted from a larger work, folio, disbound. House of Commons, London: 1835. £10.00
* Sections of the Report cover:- History; Courts; Corporate Body; Police; Revenue, etc.
- Chandler (John) MARLBOROUGH AND EASTERN WILTSHIRE. Wiltshire A History of its Landscape and People 1. Maps, illusts, xiii + 274pp, dustwrapper. Hobnob Press, Salisbury: 2001. £18.00
- Child (Mark) SHIRE COUNTY GUIDE: WILTSHIRE. Map, illusts, 56pp, original pictorial card covers. Shire Publications, Aylesbury: 1984. £4.00
- Colley (Robert), editor DEVIZES DIVISION INCOME TAX ASSESSMENTS, 1842-1860. Frontis, xxxvi + 294pp, dustwrapper. Impression of 500 copies. Wiltshire Record Society, Volume 55, Trowbridge: 2002. £16.00
- Farr (Brenda) and Elrington (Christopher), editors CROWN PLEAS OF THE WILTSHIRE EYRE 1268. Facsimiles, xcv + 196pp, original cloth, dustwrapper. Volume 65, Wiltshire Record Society. Chippenham: 2012. £16.00
- Gillman's GILLMAN'S DEVIZES PUBLIC REGISTER and Business Directory, for 1891. Thirty-Third Year of Publication. 75 + (34) + (72) pages of adverts, 12mo, original printed wraps, rear wrap loose and slightly ragged, spine slightly darkened, lacks portions from head of spine, ex-lib., with stamp to top wrap. G. Gillman, Devizes: 1891. £15.00
- Jackson (R.H) SOME GLIMPSES OF THE WEST TISBURY STORY. 16 + (1)pp, small folio, typescript, stapled, title leaf slightly dusty, some small marks to a couple of leaves. March, 1975. £10.00
- Lock (Anne) CORSHAM. The Archive Photographs Series. Illusts, 127pp, original pictorial card covers. Chalford Publishing, Stroud: 1997. £4.00
- Luce (Major-General Sir Richard H) PAGES FROM THE HISTORY OF THE BENEDICTINE MONASTERY OF MALMESBURY. Folding plan, 11 plates, 64pp, original cloth backed printed paper boards, slightly faded. First edition, Devizes: George Simpson, 1929. £12.00
- Lydiard Park LYDIARD PARK & CHURCH. An illustrated survey of the former home of the St. John family and of the adjoining Parish Church of St. Mary. Official Guide. Coloured and black and white illusts, 24pp, oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Loosely inserted are 2 sheets, printed on one side only, (i) folding pedigree of the St Johns. (ii) Catalogue of Portraits and Paintings. Borough of Thamesdown, c.1970. £5.00
- Marlborough College REPORT OF THE MARLBOROUGH COLLEGE NATURAL HISTORY SOCIETY For the Year ending Christmas, 1909. Illusts, 56 + (52)pp, original printed wraps, portions chipped from head and foot of spine, short tear to rear wrap. Marlborough: "Times Printing Office", 1910. £6.00
- Mountford (Eric R) SWINDON GWR REMINISCENCES. 112pp, original pictorial card covers. Bradford Barton, Truro: c.1980. £6.00
* The reminiscences of the town where he was born, and the Great Western Railway works, where he worked during the 1920's and 1930's.
- Philpott (Jean), Hurley (Beryl), and others THE BISHOP'S TRANSCRIPTS AND PARISH REGISTERS OF COLERNE Baptisms & Burials 1606 - 1837. 109pp, small folio, original printed wraps. Wiltshire Family History Society, 2004. £12.00
- Pike (W.T) A DICTIONARY OF EDWARDIAN BIOGRAPHY - WILTSHIRE. Illusts, roy, 8vo, original cloth. Peter Bell, Edinburgh: 1983. £8.00
* Reprint of the Wiltshire section of 'Wilts and Dorset at the Opening of the Twentieth Century.' 1906.
- Ponting (Kenneth G) WOOL AND WATER. Bradford-on-Avon and the River Frome. With 24 illusts, 66pp, laminated boards, short split to top outer hinge. Moonraker Press, Bradford-on-Avon: 1975. £4.00
- Reeves (Marjorie), and Morrison (Jean), editor THE DIARIES OF JEFFERY WHITAKER SCHOOLMASTER OF BRATTON, 1739 - 1741. Illusts, folding map, lxiv + 117pp, original cloth, very slightly rubbed to edges, small private ownership label to front endpaper. Impression of 500 Copies. Wiltshire Records Branch Volume 44. Trowbridge: 1989. £12.00
- Rogers (Helen), editor THE DIARY OF WILLIAM HENRY TUCKER. 1825-1850. Frontis, illusts, xxiii + 260pp, original cloth, dustwrapper. Volume 62. Wiltshire Record Society, Chippenham: 2009. £9.00
- Shemilt (Philip), and others SALISBURY 200 The Bi-centenary of Salisbury Infirmary 1766 - 1966. By Members of the Hospital Staff. Frontis and 27 plates, 162pp, dustwrapper. Published by the Salisbury General Hospital, 1967. £8.00
- Smith (Rev. A.C) ON THE OLD PORCH-HOUSE AT POTTERNE. 20pp, 12mo, lacks wraps, small mark to title-page. Sheppard & St. John, London: 1887. £6.00
- Spreadbury (P.A) LITTLECOTE Wiltshire. Illustrated Official Guide. Coloured and black and white illusts, map, 24pp, original pictorial card covers. Photo Precision, St Albans: c.1970. £4.00
- Stearn (L.F) SUPPLEMENT TO THE FLORA OF WILTSHIRE. With 7 illusts, map endpapers, xvi + 150pp, roy, 8vo, some holes and damage to the dustwrapper. Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Society, 1975. £10.00
- Vernon (T.E) NOTES ON THE PARISH CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CRUDWELL, WILTS. Illusts., 36pp, couple of short tears to dustwrapper. Limited Edition of 250 copies. Colin Venton (The Uffington Press) Melksham: 1962. £7.00
- Victoria County History, edited by D.A. Crowley A HISTORY OF WILTSHIRE. Volume 14. Plates and illusts, xx + 267pp, small folio, original cloth, dustwrapper, ex-Bristol University label with small stamp to foot of one prelim and last leaf, slight signs where label removed from pastedown, otherwise a nice copy. Oxford University Press, 1991. £25.00
* Covers the Malmesbury Hundred.
- Warminster United District RULES OF THE WARMINSTER UNITED DISTRICT BRANCH of the Ancient Order of Foresters' Friendly Society held at Warminster in the County of Wiltshire. England. 16pp, 12mo, original printed wraps, short tear to top margin of wraps, and 2 leaves. Printed at the Gazette Office, Devizes. c19- £12.00
- Williamson (Barry) THE ARUNDELLS OF WARDOUR, from Cornwall to Colditz. Map, pedigree, illusts, 242pp, original pictorial card covers, crease to lower corner of rear cover. Hobnob Press, Salisbury: 2011. £8.00
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE, Volume 20. Plates and plans some of which are folding, including 2 mounted photographs, 348 + viii + (1)pp, contemporary half calf, raised bands, marbled boards, lacks label, rubbed, portions chipped from spine, outer hinges partly split, small ownership stamp to front endpaper. Devizes: H.F. Bull, 1882. £12.00
* Includes articles:- Stockton Church; Edington Monastery; Monkton Farleigh; Heraldry in Boyton Church; Wiltshire Geology and Palaeontology, etc.
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE. Volume 24. No LXXI. Plates, pages numbered, 131-256pp, lacks rear wrap, top wrap, spine and fore-edge margins of the first few leaves partly waterstained. Devizes: Henry Bull, July, 1889. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Calne; Seals of the Bishops of Salisbury, etc.
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE. Volume 36. Plates and plans some of which are folding, iv + 706pp, contemporary half calf, marbled boards and endpapers, rubbed, brown tape crudely applied to spine, some occasional foxing. Devizes: C.H. Woodward, 1910. £12.00
* Includes articles:- Tisbury Church; Trinity Hospital, Salisbury; Marlborough Chantries; Barrowsat Longhill and Heddington, etc.
- Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History WILTSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY MAGAZINE. Volume 56. Nos CCII. Plates and plans, 85pp, original wraps. Devizes: C.H. Woodward, June 1955. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Strip Lynchets at Bishopstone; Curlew; Botanical Survey of Colerne Park; Choir of Old Sarum, etc.
- Wiltshire Folklife WILTSHIRE FOLKLIFE Volume One, No 1, Autumn 1976. Illusts, diagrams, 35pp, original printed card covers, slightly chipped to head and foot of spine. Wiltshire Folk Life Society, 1976. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Wilton Windmill; Early Furniture in Wiltshire Churches; The Moat, The Ham, Westbury, etc.
- Wiltshire Folklife WILTSHIRE FOLKLIFE Volume Two, No 2, Autumn 1978. Illusts, diagrams, 54 + (6)pp, original pictorial card covers. Wiltshire Folk Life Society, 1978. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Folk Art; Richard Jefferies; Bratton's Worst Murder, etc.
- Wiltshire Historic Churches Trust A TOUR OF WILTSHIRE CHURCHES. With 101 plates, double-page map, 82pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers, spine lightly rubbed, top corner of top cover creased. Friary Press, Dorchester: c.1975. £4.00
- Wiltshire Times CASTLE COMBE Picturesque Wiltshire Series - No 4. With 5 illusts, 14pp, 12mo, original printed wraps. "Wiltshire Times", Trowbridge, c.192- £4.00
A further selection of WILTSHIRE Books on Main Site
Back to the Top
- Atkin (Alastair Brian) EXMOOR'S GREATEST WALK. Illustrated by the author. 127pp, original pictorial card covers. Exmoor Books, Tiverton: 2000. £4.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset.
- Bettey (J.H) RURAL LIFE IN WESSEX 1500 - 1900. Plates, 151pp, original pictorial card covers, top corner of top cover slightly creased. First edition, Bradford on Avon: Moonraker Press, 1977. £4.00
- Bird (R.H) BRITAIN'S OLD METAL MINES. A Pictorial Survey. Numerous illusts, 112pp, oblong 8vo, original cloth, few damp spots to foot of covers with small areas of cloth missing, tear repaired to verso of slightly worn dustwrapper. D. Bradford Barton, Truro: 1974. £10.00
- Brake (Ted) MEN OF GOOD CHARACTER A History of the National Union of Street Metal Workers, Coppersmiths, Heating and Domestic Engineers. Illusts, 4446pp, dustwrapper. Lawrence and Wishart, London: 1985. £6.00
- Chandler (John) WESSEX IMAGES. Map endpapers, black and coloured photos, 191pp, oblong 8vo, dustwrapper, minor scratch mark to rear flap of dustwrapper. Alan Sutton, Stroud: 1990. £5.00
- Collins (J.H) A HANDBOOK TO THE MINERALOGY OF CORNWALL AND DEVON. 10 plates showing 246 figs. of crystals. 72 + 108 + [x]pp, original cloth, spine slightly faded, lacks dustwrapper. Originally published 1871, Reprinted Truro: D. Bradford Barton, 1969. £11.00
- Cotton (William) and Dallas (James) NOTES AND GLEANINGS: A Monthly Magazine devoted chiefly to subjects connected with the Counties of DEVON & CORNWALL. Volumes 3, 4 and 5 of 5 only. Three volumes bound in 1, folding facsimile, folding pedigree, iv + 205pp + 196pp + 176pp, untrimmed in the original cloth, slightly rubbed to edges, front inner hinge cracked though sound. William Pollard, Exeter: 1890. £32.00
* Includes:- part of Sheviock Parish Register; Sun Dials; Norhcote family; Rougemont Castle; Bridestowe; St Gwinear parish; Launceston Priory, etc.
- Cunliffe (Barry) IRON AGE COMMUNITIES IN BRITAIN. An account of England, Scotland and Wales from the seventeenth century BC until the Roman conquest. Plates, diagrams, maps, plans, xviii + 438pp, 4to, dustwrapper. Second edition, Routledge & Kegan, London: 1978. £15.00
- Darton (F.J. Harvey) ALIBI PILGRIMAGE. With maps, plates, 252pp, dustwrapper, Newnes, London: 1936. £10.00
* Darton travels through Somerset, Dorset, Wiltshire and Hampshire in an attempt to prove the veracity of the alibi of a family of gypsies who were accused, in the 18th century, of abducting a London servant girl.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES. Volume 6. Part 4 of 8 only. With 4 plates, pages numbered 97-128pp.... Bound with.... Prideaux (E.K) and Shafto (G.R. Holt) BOSSES AND CORBELS OF EXETER CATHEDRAL. Illusts in the text, pages numbered 181-228, original printed wraps. James G. Commin. Exeter: October, 1910. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Knights of the Royal Oak; "Drake" Entries from the Parish Church of Registers of Musbury; Vicars of Townstall and Dartmouth, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES. Volume 8. Part 3 of 8 only. With 1 plate, pages numbered 65-96, complete.... Bound with.... Appendix. Lega-Weekes (Ethel) SOME STUDIES IN THE TOPOGRAPHY OF THE CATHEDRAL CLOSE EXETER. With 2 plates, 32pp, original printed wraps, occasional spotting. James G. Commin. Exeter: July, 1914. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Dunkeswell Font; Rectors of Southleigh; Hermits and Early History of Badgeworthy; Totnes, etc. With Lega-Weekes signature to front and rear wrap.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 15. Part 3 of 8 only. With 3 plates, pages numbered 97-144, original printed wraps. James G. Commin, Exeter: July, 1928. £4.00
* Includes articles:- Marks on Old Weights; Ancestors of John Hooker; Ugborough Church Bells; Stone Circles at Drewsteignton; Lord Arundell's Rent Roll, 1771-2, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 19. Parts 3 and 4 of 8 only, bound in 1. 6 plates, pages numbered 97-192pp, original printed wraps. James Townsend, Exeter: July-Oct. 1936. £6.00
* Includes articles:- Ancient Monuments near Liskeard; Champernowne and Francis Drake; Paignton and Miles Coverdale; Castle Dore, etc.
- Devon and Cornwall Notes and Queries DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTES AND QUERIES Volume 25. Illusts, 230pp, binders cloth, ex-lib, labels to pastedowns, numbers to foot of spine and verso of title-page. James Townsend, Exeter: 1952-1953. £20.00
* Includes articles:- Dennys Family; Cornish Miners; Cornish Crosses; Burials in Woollen; Budleigh Salterton; Totnes Church; Arms of Pomeroy; Fowey; Colyton; Ivybridge; Rohants of Dodbrook and Portlemouth, etc.
- Domesday Book MIDDLESEX. Text and translation edited by John Morris, edited from a draft translation prepared by Sara Wood. With a map, dustwrapper, neat inscription on half title. Phillimore, Chichester: 1975. £8.00
- Exmoor Society THE EXMOOR REVIEW. 1991. The Journal of the Exmoor Society. Illusts, some in colour, maps, adverts, 88pp, original pictorial covers, lightly rubbed. The Exmoor Society, Dulverton: 1991. £4.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset. Includes:- The Lee Abbey Community; Baptists in West Country; Climbing the Cleeves behind Countisbury, etc.
- Fairclough (Tony) and Shepherd (Eric) MINERAL RAILWAYS OF THE WEST COUNTRY. Numerous illusts, 96pp, oblong 8vo, dustwrapper, private ownership label to front pastedown. D. Bradford Barton, Truro: 1975. £8.00
- Gibson (J.S.W) THE HEARTH TAX other Later Stuart Tax Lists and the Association Oath Rolls. 60pp, original printed card covers. Federation of Family History Societies, Solihull: 1986, £4.00
* Lists the holdings for each county.
- Hopkins (Mary Alden) HANNAH MORE and Her Circle. Frontis and 8 plates, 274pp, worn and torn dustwrapper, page edges, and endpapers spotty. First edition, New York and Toronto: 1947. £6.00
- Jowitt (R.L.P. and Dorothy) DISCOVERING WALKS IN WESSEX TOWNS. Maps, plates, 144pp, sm 8vo, original decorative card covers. Shire Publications, Aylesbury, 1974. £4.00
- Knight (F.A) THE RAMBLES OF A DOMINIE. With Illustrations by E.T. Compton. 193pp, original decorative cloth. First edition, London: Wells Gardner, Darton & Co., (1891) £12.00
* Includes chapters on Dartmoor and the Mendips.
- Leech (Joseph), Edited with an introduction by Alan Sutton. RURAL RIDES OF THE BRISTOL CHURCHGOER. Illusts, folding map, xxvi + 326pp, original pictorial card covers are covered with a transparent plastic sheet. Originally published in 3 vols, 1845 - 1851. Alan Sutton, Gloucester: 1982. £8.00
- Lothian (Elizabeth) COUNTRY HOUSE COOKERY FROM THE WEST. Illusts, 96pp, laminated boards. David and Charles, Newton Abbot: 1978. £5.00
- Loverseed (D.E) GASWORKER ANCESTORS: How to find out more about them. A guide to the genealogical sources for the British Gas Industry. Illusts, facsimiles, 64 leaves printed on one side only, folio, original pictorial paper covers. Stockport: 1994. £8.00
- McGrath (Patrick), and Cannon (John), editor ESSAYS IN BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE HISTORY. The Centenary Volume of the Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society. With 33 plates, xviii + 300pp, dustwrapper. Bristol: Western Printing Services, 1976. £8.00
* Includes chapters on Cotswold architecture; Economic development of Bristol; Gloucestershire Spas; Brunel in Bristol, etc.
- McHardy (A.K), editor ROYAL WRITS ADDRESSED TO JOHN BUCKINGHAM Bishop of Lincoln 1363-1398. xxix + 197pp, original cloth. Canterbury and York Society. 1997. £8.00
- Mew (Fred) BACK OF THE WIGHT. Yarns of Wrecks and Smuggling. Plates, 113pp, dustwrapper slightly chipped to head of spine, rear of dustwrapper slightly soiled. Reprinted with additions, Isle of Wight: The County Press, 1953. £6.00
- Oswald (Felix) THE POTTERY OF A CLAUDIAN WELL AT MARGIDUNUM With 6 plates, pages numbered 114-126, complete, light spotting to the original printed wraps. Reprinted from the Journal of Roman Studies, London: 1923. £5.00
- Otter (R.A), editor CIVIL ENGINEERING HERITAGE Southern England. Numerous illusts, plans, maps, (viii) + 283pp, original pictorial card covers. Published for the Institution of Civil Engineers by Thomas Telford Ltd., 1994. £12.00
- Owners of Land RETURN OF OWNERS OF LAND IN CARMARTHEN IN 1873. Carmarthen section giving names of owners who owned more than an acre, address, extent of lands, and rental. Folio, 20pp, disbound. First edition, London: George Edward Eyre and William Spottiswode for H.M.S.O. 1875. £10.00
- Owners of Land RETURN OF OWNERS OF LAND IN NOTTINGHAM IN 1873. Nottingham section giving names of owners who owned more than an acre, address, extent of lands, and rental. Folio, 31pp, disbound. First edition, London: George Edward Eyre and William Spottiswode for H.M.S.O. 1875. £10.00
- Parker (Derek) THE WEST COUNTRY AND THE SEA. Line Drawings by Peter Green. Plates, textual illusts, x + 246pp, dustwrapper. First edition, Longman, London: 1980. £9.00
- Pearson (A) ROBERT HUNT., F.R.S. (1807 - 1887) With 6 plates, 133pp, original pictorial card covers. Federation of Old Cornwall Societies, 1976. £12.00
* Hunt was born in Devonport and spent his early life there and in Penzance.
- Pigot's PIGOT'S DIRECTORY OF NORFOLK 1830. Lacks map, pages numbered 527-607, complete, disbound. London: Pigot & Co., 1830. £15.00
- Radford (C.A. Ralegh) and Swanton (Michael J) ARTHURIAN SITES IN THE WEST. Folding map, plans, illusts, 62pp, card covers with pictorial dustwrapper. University of Exeter, 1979. £5.00
- Smith (Brian S) and Ralph (Elizabeth) A HISTORY OF BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTERSHIRE. Cartography and drawings by E.B. Middleton. Maps, plates, textual illusts, 128pp, dustwrapper. Third Edition, Phillimore, Chichester: 1996. £5.00
- Snell (F.J) THE BLACKMORE COUNTRY. With 50 full page illustrations from photographs by C. W. Barnes Ward. Folding map, 288pp, original cloth, lightly rubbed to edges. First edition, London: Adam and Charles Black, 1906. £12.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset.
- Society of Antiquaries of Scotland PROCEEDINGS OF THE SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES OF SCOTLAND One Hundred and Twenty-Fifth Session 1904-1905. vol. III - Fourth Series. Full page and illusts in the text, xlviii + 582pp, original cloth, spine slightly darkened, paper label chipped on spine. Printed for the Society, Edinburgh: 1905. £30.00
* Includes articles:- Stones in Jedburgh; Kirkyard Monuments; Stone Circles in Kincardineshire; Ports on the Poltalloch Estate, Argyll; Scottish Place-Names, etc.
- Somerset and Dorset Notes and Queries, editors William Frederick Weaver and Chares Herbert Mayo NOTES AND QUERIES FOR SOMERSET AND DORSET. Volume 11. Illusts, 395pp, early binders cloth, covers lightly rubbed, title-page darkened. Sherborne: J.C. and A.T. Sawtell, 1909. £22.00
* Includes articles:- Terrier and Modus of Shillingston; Marwood and Blackaller Families; Bayliffe of Castle Cary; Beaminster deeds; Lillington Manor; Mere registers; Swinnerton-Dyer family; Stawell Monuments, etc.
- Thurlow (Charles) CHINA CLAY from Cornwall & Devon. An illustrated account of the modern china Clay Industry. Illusts, map, 46pp, original pictorial card covers. Second (Revised) Edition, Cornish Hillside Publications, 1997. £4.00
- Walker (David), and others. AN ECCLESIASTICAL MISCELLANY Containing A Register of the Churches of the Monastery of St. Peter's Gloucester. A Survey of the Diocese of Gloucester, 1603. Wesleyan Membership in Bristol, 1783. 159pp, original cloth. Bristol and Gloucestershire Archaeological Society. 1976. £10.00
- Warren (A.S) A LIFE IN GLOUCESTER AND SOMERSET. With illustrations by his daughter Margaret Frewin. Textual illusts, 99pp, original card covers. Gloucester: Thornhill Press, 1973. £9.00
- Way (R.P) ANTIQUE DEALER 211pp, original cloth, partly torn dustwrapper, repaired to verso with cellotape. Michael Joseph, London: 1956. £8.00
* Way's autobiography where he relates his dealings in antiques in and around Bath and Bristol for 40 years.
- Welch (F.B.A) and Crookall (R) BRITISH REGIONAL GEOLOGY. BRISTOL AND GLOUCESTER DISTRICT. With 12 plates, one of which is folding, 86pp, original printed wraps. First edition. H.M.S.O. 1935. £12.00
- West (John) VILLAGE RECORDS. With a Foreword by W.G. Hoskins. Illusts, xxii + 248pp, dustwrapper. Reprinted Phillimore, Chichester: 1982. £10.00
* 'Gives detailed advice about the materials available for the study of local history.'
- Wickes (M.J.L) THE WESTCOUNTRY PREACHERS. A history of the Bible Christians 1815-1907. Illusts, 104pp, original pictorial card covers. First edition, Published by the author, 1987. £6.00
- Wreford (Hilary), Clinch (Rosemary) & Williams (Michael) SECRET WEST COUNTRY Illusts, 96pp, large oblong 8vo, original pictorial card covers. Bossiney Books, Bodmin: 1986. £4.00
- Wright (W.H.K), editor THE WESTERN ANTIQUARY or DEVON AND CORNWALL NOTE-BOOK. Volume 2. April, 1882, to April, 1883. Illusts, xvii + 216pp, includes 4 page list of subscribers, 4to, original qtr roan, cloth boards, lacks approx «" to head of spine and small strip at foot. Plymouth: Latimer and Son, 1883. £25.00
* Includes articles:- Lidwell chapel, near Dawlish; Cranmere Pool; Rocks in Devon and Cornwall by William Crossing; Beating the Bounds at St. Columb; Kingsbridge Murder, etc.
- Yeates (John) AN ENDLESS VIEW The Artist and Exmoor. Illusts, some of which are coloured, 126pp, 4to, original pictorial card covers, slight crease to top cover. Exmoor Books, Dulverton: 1995. £8.00
* Exmoor extends along the coast from Combe Martin, in Devon to Minehead in Somerset.
Back to the TopCopyright © Ambra Books - 2021. All rights reserved.
Or for further information contact Ivor Cornish :-
Tel:- ( 0117 ) 9076899
E-mail :- email@example.com
Bristol -- Bristol Clearance
Cornwall -- Cornwall Clearance
Devon -- Devon Clearance
Dorset -- Dorset Clearance
Gloucestershire -- Gloucestershire Clearance
Somerset -- Somerset Clearance
Wiltshire -- Wiltshire Clearance
General Local History -- General Clearance
GENERAL Local History :- Selection of items I wish to purchase
GENERAL Local History :- Selection of manuscripts, maps, ephemera etc. for sale from Lesley Aitchison.
AMBRA BOOKS Home page